PDA

View Full Version : Giants' David Wilson May Be Too Valuable To Keep Flipping Around The End Zone

RoanokeFan
12-13-2012, 10:01 AM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...ay_be_too.html (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/12/giants_david_wilson_may_be_too.html)

Excerpt: "The Giants’ first-round draft pick created a stir Sunday afternoon with his three-touchdown performance in the 52-27 victory against the Saints, one on a kickoff return and two rushing. What followed — back-flips in the end zone, one to celebrate each score — created another kind of a stir.

The concern from Wilson’s teammates and bosses is understandable, particularly with starting running back Ahmad Bradshaw’s status for Sunday’s game in Atlanta very much in question, after he suffered a sprained left knee against the Saints. Wilson may need to step in as the starter, and carry his largest rushing load of the season, and the Giants can’t afford a needless injury.

Wilson shrugged. He’s been flipping since he was a toddler growing up in southern Virginia, and he claims he’s never missed.

“It’s a possibility they can go wrong, but for me, I’ve been doing ’em since I was three years old,” Wilson said. “It’s like easy, it’s almost like running, for me to jump and turn backwards. I’ve been doing it for a while, so I think people can relax a little.”

This is what comes with Wilson’s newfound status as a key part of the Giants offense. In the 12 previous games, Wilson had only cause to flip once, late in a victory against the Browns. On Sunday, he did it three times. As Tuck extolled, “without him, we don’t win that game on Sunday, hands down.”

But Tuck added, “We have to try our best now to keep his head the same size it is right now.”

It’s part of what Wilson called a “dramatic change” from Week 1, when he was benched for fumbling. Just a few weeks ago, he was the third running back on the Giants roster. But Andre Brown broke his fibula, and now Bradshaw suffered the knee injury, on top of the bruised bone in his foot." Read more...

RoanokeFan
12-13-2012, 10:03 AM
I tend to agree with the team only becasue of the physicality of his celebration. We'll see if he's matured enough to see the wisdom of dialing it back for his and the team's benefit.

wuzpapn
12-13-2012, 10:04 AM
I hope this isn't a topic we keep hearing weekly.

nhpgiantsfan
12-13-2012, 10:07 AM
I will say this. In the article I read on Giants 101, it didn't sound like DW plans on stopping it. If he continues to do it after veterans and a team captain tell him to stop, it will say a lot about his character, imo.

GameTime
12-13-2012, 10:10 AM
they should "tell" him to stop. Dont give him a choice.

RoanokeFan
12-13-2012, 10:12 AM
I hope this isn't a topic we keep hearing weekly.

You have the option of ignoring threads

RoanokeFan
12-13-2012, 10:12 AM

I think that's what Reese meant when he said he'd be in his grill. Translates into I'm the guy who pays you.

GameTime
12-13-2012, 10:15 AM
I think that's what Reese meant when he said he'd be in his grill. Translates into I'm the guy who pays you.

yep.....I agree....

FBomb
12-13-2012, 10:18 AM
I think it's overblown. It's not like he's doing something that he has never done before. It seems to come pretty natural to him. As long as he's scoring and we aren't getting blown out at the time, I have no problem with it.

BillTheGreek
12-13-2012, 10:23 AM
I have a Great suggestion............No celebrations, from any Giants, Just when they score a TD, Let the Giant Organization, donate a $1000. to the players favorite charity ! This way everyone is Happy....This will Also help the players image.

nhpgiantsfan
12-13-2012, 10:24 AM
I think it's overblown. It's not like he's doing something that he has never done before. It seems to come pretty natural to him. As long as he's scoring and we aren't getting blown out at the time, I have no problem with it.

It's bigger than this now. If team leaders and vets are asking/telling him to stop and he continues to do it. Then he is being sellfish and showing a lack of consideration for his team, and that is a problem. No one is bigger than the team.

NYG4lifeNYK
12-13-2012, 10:25 AM
I hope we see 17 more backflips in these next 3 games :D

BillTheGreek
12-13-2012, 10:29 AM

+1

FBomb
12-13-2012, 10:34 AM
I hope we see 17 more backflips in these next 3 games :D

THIS!!! Players are in harms way anytime they are on the field. I sincerely have no problem with it.

CowboysSuck
12-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Which one of you bird lovers is ready to eat my special blend of Wilson crow soup??

Signature NYG
12-13-2012, 10:53 AM
I have a Great suggestion............No celebrations, from any Giants, Just when they score a TD, Let the Giant Organization, donate a $1000. to the players favorite charity ! This way everyone is Happy....This will Also help the players image.

This would be nice but they can do this and still celebrate though.

As much as I like the flips I hope he doesn't do them anymore. I mean if vets and coaches etc are saying to stop the rook better stop.

I hope he does one more in the SuperBowl but thats it.:cool:

GameTime
12-13-2012, 10:54 AM
THIS!!! Players are in harms way anytime they are on the field. I sincerely have no problem with it.

if is going to get hurt I would rather see him do it in the context of the game. He twists an ankle or lands on his head doing a flip then he is just stupid....

jakegibbs
12-13-2012, 10:55 AM
A SB REPEAT. Keep um coming son. :cool:

giantsfan420
12-13-2012, 10:58 AM
maybe he could just do the backflip on milestone type TDs. like, ok ur first TD, the flip was understandable. ur 20th career TD, yeah we'd get it. a GW playoff clinching TD? yeah sure flip away. but on ur standard TDs that arent of any real historical importance, he shouldnt be doing the flip...

Flip Empty
12-13-2012, 11:03 AM
After his experience this year you'd think he'd be doing everything he can to stay on Coughlin's good side.

GameTime
12-13-2012, 11:08 AM

no flips...just TDs...
thank you

miked1958
12-13-2012, 11:10 AM
I hope this isn't a topic we keep hearing weekly.kinda hope it is. then we would know the kid is scoring on weekly basis which is a good thing

miked1958
12-13-2012, 11:12 AM
However I tend to agree as well. just because its like 2nd nature to him almost like walking cause he has been doing it all his life doesnt mean that his next one wont result in an unnecessary injury cause he lands wrong. I have seen many guys get hurt doing stupid stuff after TDs. Not needed.. find another way to celebrate

RagTime Blue
12-13-2012, 11:14 AM
After some runs, players need oxygen and re-hydradtion. I'm just worried he'll try to do it when he's too tired to.

Toadofsteel
12-13-2012, 11:20 AM
With only Torrain and Pumpkin behind him at this point, I'd rather he dial it back a little. I'm all for celebrating your TDs, but maybe Wilson can find something else to do?

If Bradshaw were 100% I'd say go for it...

Gimaniac
12-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Jayron Hosley jammed his toe doing a stupid TD celebration. It was so embarrassing, he wouldn't even admit how he injured himself.

Do the Barry Sanders celebration for now please.

Kruunch
12-13-2012, 12:07 PM
I like Barry Sanders' celebrations the best.

Broadway Blue
12-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Even through Wilson knows what he is doing I think anything can happen

Martin Gramatica is a big example...

FBomb
12-13-2012, 12:41 PM
It's not like he's head butting the wall or anything!! :rolleyes:

Cloud57
12-13-2012, 12:52 PM
He's a rookie who just want to have fun after sitting on the bench all season, let him do his damn flips, it's not like he's gonna start any time soon, they'll keep bradshaw as the starter for another 5 years.

RoanokeFan
12-13-2012, 12:54 PM

I think the fact that we really don't have another RB to step up if he hurts himself is what bothers me the most. I admit it's fun to watch, but I still remember whoever the QB was who ran his head into the wall, injuring his neck, when I think of physical celebrations.

RoanokeFan
12-13-2012, 12:56 PM
He's a rookie who just want to have fun after sitting on the bench all season, let him do his damn flips, it's not like he gonna start any time soon, they'll keep bradshaw as the starter for another 5 years.

He's not going to start any time soon means it's OK if he is injured? Just to bring you up to speed, it's more than likely he will start and, even if Bradshaw plays, will get more snaps than Ahmad does because od his injuries

Cloud57
12-13-2012, 01:00 PM
He's not going to start any time soon means it's OK if he is injured? Just to bring you up to speed, it's more than likely he will start and, even if Bradshaw plays, will get more snaps than Ahmad does because od his injuriesit's not like he's a 30 yr old RB, he' most likely to get injured running the ball than doing a backflip.

RoanokeFan
12-13-2012, 01:05 PM
it's not like he's a 30 yr old RB, he' most likely to get injured running the ball than doing a backflip.

I forgot that NFL rule, you're right. Injuries are not allowed below age 30

Cloud57
12-13-2012, 01:14 PM
I forgot that NFL rule, you're right. Injuries are not allowed below age 30my point is at 30 you're more likely to get injured doing a backflip than if you're 21.

RoanokeFan
12-13-2012, 01:17 PM
my point is at 30 you're more likely to get injured doing a backflip than if you're 21.

He's either going to do it or not, his call. If he gets hurt doing it, he could put our chances to repeat in serious jeopardy. I have no problem with end zone celebrations, but sometimes common sense has to prevail and he's in a position to be THE running back on Sunday and beyond.

ryan12
12-13-2012, 01:27 PM

this

moosedrool
12-13-2012, 02:55 PM
How come nobody ever told Bradshaw to stop jumping up in the air backwards during his post TD spike? He could get injured doing that too.

Toadofsteel
12-13-2012, 03:17 PM
While we're at it, ban teammates from congratulating the recent TD with the one to score it...
http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/12/12/jeremy-maclin-nnamdi-asomugha-injured/1763705/

Toadofsteel
12-13-2012, 03:29 PM
I think the fact that we really don't have another RB to step up if he hurts himself is what bothers me the most. I admit it's fun to watch, but I still remember whoever the QB was who ran his head into the wall, injuring his neck, when I think of physical celebrations.

Gus Frerotte
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdWK-aam0Jo

RoanokeFan
12-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Gus Frerotte
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdWK-aam0Jo

That's the one, thanks

Cloud57
12-13-2012, 03:34 PM
While we're at it, ban teammates from congratulating the recent TD with the one to score it...
http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/12/12/jeremy-maclin-nnamdi-asomugha-injured/1763705/They should ban TDs all together

RoanokeFan
12-13-2012, 03:45 PM
They should ban TDs all together

We almost have, that's why Tynes is the leading NFL scorer (sp)

Toadofsteel
12-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Oh, and just in case the backflip looks all well and good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2SAnyvFbUk

gmen0820
12-13-2012, 03:51 PM
What's Tuck's celebration? Lying on both knees gasping for air, or cramped up.

giantsfan420
12-13-2012, 03:52 PM
How come nobody ever told Bradshaw to stop jumping up in the air backwards during his post TD spike? He could get injured doing that too.this is actually a good point. while its not as "risky" as flipping ur body upside down like wilson, bradshaw has terrible feet/ankles. i doubt his td celebration is doing wonders for his body...so whats that mean then? bradshaw should stop his celebration or wilson should be able to do his?

giantsfan420
12-13-2012, 03:53 PM
What's Tuck's celebration? Lying on both knees gasping for air, or cramped up.whats tucks celebration? the rg3 fan club mixer he holds at the end of every redskins game...

giantsfan420
12-13-2012, 03:55 PM
i remember there was another rb who tried to do a flip once but he didnt end up completing the revolution and ended up face planting. who was that...maybe it was a kick returner or something i know i remembered seeing it happen

Cindy in INdy
12-13-2012, 03:56 PM
We almost have, that's why Tynes is the leading NFL scorer (sp)
I just made that new thread!!!!!! Are you already trying to tempt me into posting BWWHAHAHAH....not even 5 minutes out....temptation around every corner

njg85m
12-13-2012, 04:03 PM
My favorite TD celebration is when the player hands the ball to the ref and runs back to his bench.

joemorrisforprez
12-13-2012, 04:09 PM
if is going to get hurt I would rather see him do it in the context of the game. He twists an ankle or lands on his head doing a flip then he is just stupid....

I agree....I have no problem with TD celebrations. And I believe Wilson when he says it's second nature.

What worries me is that some player, cameraman, or official gets too close to him while he's doing a flip and he lands wrong.

RoanokeFan
12-13-2012, 04:09 PM
I just made that new thread!!!!!! Are you already trying to tempt me into posting BWWHAHAHAH....not even 5 minutes out....temptation around every corner

That's why this place is so addictive

BlueBlooded1979
12-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Veteran leadership has told him to stop, that should be enough to stop. They want to win another ring and having this kid healthy is a big part of that. If he continues to do flips it is likely that he will get hurt. The amount of force generated plus the impact upon landing is significant. He isn't three anymore he is a 200+lb man and that is a lot angular momentum to stop with your ankles. You ever wonder why gymnasts are petite teenage girls ? Keep in mind that if he trips doing one of these he may hurt himself but he will also get a 15 yarder for going to the ground during a celebration.

Just spike the ball or even better, hand it to the ref and act like you've been there before and plan on coming back very soon.

joemorrisforprez
12-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Maybe Chris Snee should just pick him up and run off the field with him.

myles2424
12-13-2012, 11:22 PM

We all agree..

Captain Chaos
12-13-2012, 11:23 PM
Crazy...

BillTheGreek
12-14-2012, 03:09 AM
THE ONLY REAL PROBLEM WITH WILSON IS " HE EXCEEDS THE SPEED LIMIT "

O ' YEA He has to Listen to Tom C .......Regarding all this back flipping , Now he is to Valuable to do that ! Even thou I Like it.

Rat_bastich
12-14-2012, 04:23 AM
I don't mind the celebration flip too much, however I am reminded constantly of the Gramatica who jacked up his knee when he was celebrating. A fluke accident but one to curb in order to drop the possibility of hurting himself.