PDA

View Full Version : News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Friday, December 14, 2012

RoanokeFan
12-13-2012, 07:09 PM
EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

Giants' Cornerback Jayron Hosley Quickly Seeing Role, Confidence Increase

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/12/giants_cornerback_jayron_hosle.html

Exceprt: "The play, during Thursday’s practice, exemplified Jayron Hosley’s aggressive instincts. A wide receiver ran a simple in-route, defensive coordinator Perry Fewell recalled with a smile, when suddenly the rookie cornerback Hosley was sprinting the other way with the ball in his possession.

“I kind of joked with him, I said, ‘I didn’t know you were that fast,’ ” Fewell said. “Because he broke on the ball and intercepted it and he was in the end zone before I could turn my head. He had a really good day today.”

That is certainly good news for a defense that will likely rely on Hosley to make plays Sunday against a potent Falcons offense. Starting cornerback Prince Amukamara hasn’t practiced all week after suffering a hamstring injury against the Saints and is unlikely to play.

Hosley, who has mostly played nickel cornerback this season, is the next man up. And despite starting just four games this season — two at corner and two at nickel corner — and seeing his playing time diminish in recent weeks, he isn’t short in confidence." Read more...

Giants' Defense Settling For Pressure Instead Of The Big Sack

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/12/giants_defensive_line_settling.html

Excerpt: "Osi Umenyiora compared himself to a baseball slugger. He, and Justin Tuck and Mathias Kiwanuka and Jason Pierre-Paul.

They’re the big hitters in the Giants’ lineup, the ones who are supposed to deliver the home runs, i.e. the sacks. And their numbers are down. Through 13 games, the Giants have just 31 sacks, tied for 12th in the league, and their team leader, Pierre-Paul, has just 6½.

In Umenyiora’s view, and in keeping with his analogy, the Giants aren’t seeing enough good pitches from their opponents.

“They’re trying to walk him, and then you’re asking why he’s not hitting home runs,” Umenyiora said yesterday, as the team prepared for Sunday’s game at Atlanta. “If they pitch him the ball, he’s going to hit a home run. We’re not getting pitches. It’s really that simple.”

This is a refrain the Giants’ defensive linemen have said all season. They’ve talked about seeing max protections, and double teams, and chips and motions to neutralize the pass rush that’s long been a hallmark of their defense.

But here was something new: defensive coordinator Perry Fewell admitting that, in last week’s victory against the Saints, he didn’t put his top rushers in the best positions to sack the quarterback.

“It’s kind of the strategy that I put them in last week,” Fewell said. “Our guys are very cooperative. It took a lot for them to do what I asked them to do last week. It wasn’t the most sack-friendly game for them, but it was the way that we felt we had to win that football game.” Read more...

Giants' Osi Umenyiora Says Falcons' Offensive Line isn't "Dirty" Like Last Season

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/12/giants_osi_umenyiora_says_falc.html

Excerpt: "The talk around the league back in January when the Giants were preparing to face the Falcons in the Wild Card round of the playoffs was that the Falcons offensive line wasn't exactly a model for sportsmanship.

Earlier in the campaign, defensive players on both the Packers and Lions voiced their opinion of the Falcons' unit, which was coached by Paul Boudreau last season. That week, defensive end Justin Tuck acknowledged that the offensive line had a reputation for being "dirt bags."

Boudreau was not retained after the Falcons' 24-2 loss to the Giants eliminated them from the playoffs. He was replaced by former Fresno St. head coach Pat Hill. Defensive end Osi Umenyiora wasn't aware of the coaching change, but he did notice that the offensive line is playing differently this season based on the tape he's watched.

"Definitely," Umenyiora said when asked if they're playing differently. "They're not playing the way that they played. They're just trying to straight up block you; that's what they're trying to do. None of that dirty, after-the-play stuff they were doing last year." Read more...

Giants' Prince Amukamara "Hopeful" He Can Play vs. Falcons, But Unsure Of Status

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/12/giants_prince_amukamara_unsure.html

Excerpt: "Prince Amukamara is "hopeful" he can play Sunday at Atlanta, but the Giants cornerback did not practice today for the second straight day after "straining" his hamstring in last week's win against the Saints.

Amukamara said he won't know his status for this weekend "until the coach or the trainers tell me," but did say he doesn't think the decision will come down to game-time, meaning it will be made before then. The Giants travel to Atlanta Saturday afternoon.

Amukamara suffered the injury in the fourth quarter of Sunday's game and originally said he could have come back in if necessary, but he said he felt a bit more pain when his adrenaline wore off. He has torn his hamstring before, in college, and said it doesn't feel as severe this time.

"They didn’t tell me if it was a bad one," Amukamara said. "They said my strength and my motion is still good. It’s just that little bite in there when you try to open up. So as soon as that goes away, I think I’ll be great."

They're evaluating the injury day by day, so Amukamara isn't yet sure if he'll practice Friday. He didn't test the hamstring at all today, just doing band work and exercises to strengthen his glutes and thighs while the team practiced.

After missing the first two games of the season with an ankle injury, he's frustrated to have yet another injury potentially sideline him." Read more...

SITE LINK (http://www.nj.com/giants/)

THE NY DAILY NEWS

Vacchiano: Dacid Wilson Speeds Out Of Doghouse

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/vacchiano-wilson-speed-blinding-puzzling-article-1.1219948

Excerpt: "David Wilson didn’t exactly come out of nowhere. Behind the closed doors at practice, the rookie had long been flashing his uncommon speed.
He was combining that with moves that Victor Cruz said, “we only see guys that are Hall of Famers make.” And in games, every time he touched a kickoff, a touchdown seemed to be just one move away.So when he finally had what fullback Henry Hynoski called, “his coming-out party” on Sunday, no one in the Giants’ organization was the least bit surprised. The only surprise was the timing.

As Justin Tuck said, “I don’t know what took him so long.”

Tuck wasn’t the only one wondering that. Offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride has been asked the question many times over the last few months. As the Giants endured a losing streak, an offensive slump and weathered an up-and-down rushing attack, a fast, fresh-legged first-round pick sure looked like he could be helpful. But he was stuck in the doghouse for fumbling on his second NFL carry. And then the coaches deemed him deficient in other areas of his game.

Now everyone can see what the Giants were missing, after Wilson’s 13-carry, 100-yard game on Sunday — which oh, by the way, also included 227 yards on four kickoff returns. So it’s more than fair to ask Gilbride: Was it really smart to keep such a dynamic athlete glued to the sidelines for so long?

“Well, again, he’s had chances,” Gilbride said on Thursday. “That’s the first time he’s done it. That’s where you sometimes overlook those aspects. He has been able to carry it. In fact, until those runs at the end he was three runs for three yards (each).”

Gilbride, like everyone, was awed by Wilson’s explosion in the 52-27 win over the Saints.

But he also knows that before that Wilson was stuck behind Ahmad Bradshaw and a very productive Andre Brown on the depth chart. He also was unspectacular with 28 carries for 111 yards. Along the way, before Bradshaw injured his knee on Sunday, Wilson also fumbled, dropped passes and missed blocks — three of Tom Coughlin’s least favorite ways to lose games.

Yes, Gilbride saw what Wilson’s teammates saw behind the scenes, and he was as tempted by the speed and possibilities as everyone else. But he was also haunted by the reality that the potential reward didn’t justify the possible risk. He needed work on his blocking, his reads, his knowledge of the offense." Read more...

No Sad Sack: Giants' Pass Rush Just Fine

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/sad-sack-giants-pass-rush-fine-article-1.1219946

Excerpt: "The Giants’ pass rush still had a reputation for being dangerous when the playoffs opened last January. When the Atlanta Falcons came north for the wild-card round, one NFC scout said their offensive game plan made it look like they were “scared.”

Now, nobody seems to fear the Giants’ pass rush as much as they did in previous seasons, but maybe they should.

Even though the Giants have slipped to 12th in the NFL this season with just 31 sacks, several of them insisted this week that those numbers don’t tell the whole story. They said their pass rush — which ranked third in the NFL last season with 48 sacks — is finally rounding into form.

They thought it was pretty good on Sunday, when they sacked the Saints’ Drew Brees only once and allowed him to throw for 354 yards.

“It’s just like a guy who’s a slugger (in baseball) and every single time they’re throwing him balls, you know what I mean?” said DE Osi Umenyiora. “They’re trying to walk him, and you ask him why he’s not hitting home runs. If they pitch him the ball, he’s going to hit home runs.

“We’re not getting pitches. It’s really that simple. When we get the pitches — whenever we get ahead, whenever we get one-on-one blocking — we’re going to take advantage of it. But we’re just not really seeing that right now.”

His point is what some of the Giants’ defensive linemen have been saying all season — that teams are successfully scheming to take the Giants’ pass rush out of the game. They’re doing what the Falcons did in their 24-2 playoff loss at the Meadowlands last season — keeping as many extra bodies in as possible for protection, and asking the QB to get rid of the ball quickly.

In that playoff game, Matt Ryan was 24 of 41, but he was so limited to short passes that he was held to 199 yards. On Sunday, in the Giants’ 52-27 win over the Saints, Brees piled up the yardage but he threw two key interceptions under pressure.

Even though Brees was sacked only once, Justin Tuck defended the pass rush by saying, “I don’t think he was able to go through his progressions as much as he has in the past. That led to some bad throws.”

It also turns out that the lack of sacks had something to do with Perry Fewell’s “strategy.” Though the defensive coordinator didn’t go into details, he said his scheme against the Saints wasn’t designed to get sacks, which is why he added, “It took a lot for them to do what I asked them to do.”

“It wasn’t the most sack-friendly game for them, but it was the way that we felt we had to win that football game,” Fewell said. “A lot of D-linemen wouldn’t have done what they did. So my evaluation is that they did a great job.” Read more...

SITE LINK (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants)

THE NEW YORK POST

Falcons Get No Respect Despite 11 - 2 Mark

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/no_buzz_about_it_W4eC0jRLYmgtB16UekhiKI

Excerpt: "Here is the way Michael Boley views what the Falcons are all about, and he should know, considering he spent the first four years of his career playing in Atlanta:

“You got to look at it,’’ Boley said. “Just like last week before their game when you got a team that’s 3-9 calling your team out, that’s not a lot of respect at all.’’

No, not a lot of respect at all. The Panthers before last week’s 30-20 upset victory spent so much time disrespecting the Falcons you would have thought the Panthers were 11-1, instead of 3-9.

The Panthers didn’t like the way Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan was caught by television cameras shouting, “Get off our field, you just lost’’ or something close to that — with some obscenities thrown in for emphasis — after a 30-28 Falcons’ victory on Sept. 30.

Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy promised “payback’’ and “punishment’’ and his club delivered ample supplies of both.

So here are the Falcons, at 11-2 owners of the best record in the NFC, having clinched the NFC South title with a full month to go in the season and no one is planning any parades down one of those streets named Peachtree something or other. There has been no sign of disrespect by the Giants, but this game hasn’t generated the same buzz as earlier matchups with the 49ers and Packers, teams considered more worthy of NFC supremacy even though the Falcons have the best record in the conference.

Boley calls the Falcons “a pretty good team’’ and acknowledges: “I don’t think people give them enough credit. They are a good team, but you got to be consistent.’’ Read more..

Rook Hosley Says Go Ahead, Throw My Way

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/just_bring_it_oHls6Kd27x3pN9CvjsAy9M

Excerpt: "Go ahead, make Jayron Hosley’s day.

Go ahead Matt Ryan, throw Jayron Hosley’s way.

The little rookie cornerback who doesn’t seem to know he’s a little rookie cornerback becomes a big Giant in Atlanta Sunday when he steps in for Prince Amukamara opposite Corey Webster. The task is all the more daunting if Roddy White, who will be a gametime decision (knee), gets the green light to wreak more havoc alongside Julio Jones.

Hosley was David Wilson’s teammate at Virginia Tech and it is his turn now, too. He sounds as if he would do backflips if Ryan decided to pick on him.

“You’re a corner, that’s what you live for. That’s what you live for in this position,” Hosley said. “That’s how you make your name.

“It’s like putting that hand on the stove. That first time when you were a kid? That second time you think twice about that.”

Are you the stove or the kid?

“I’m trying to be the stove,” Hosley said,

With the Giants fighting for their playoff lives, The Stove has some hot advice for Matty Ice he hopes will burn him.

“Go with your game plan, go with the game plan. ... I hope I get something my way,” Hosley said. “That’s what I want. I hope I get something, but ... I’m pretty sure they got something they’re whipping up over there, and we got to be ready. We’re going be ready.”

You’re going be ready?

“I got to, without a doubt. Without a doubt.” Read more...

Prince May Miss Falcons

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/prince_may_miss_falcons_egWxkMRY55O9JBPMxtOqAP

Excerpt: "Prince Amukamara has played in 11 consecutive games this season after shaking off an early hamstring injury.

But it looks as if he is not going to make it 12 straight, as a new hamstring strain is set to sideline him for Sunday’s game against the Falcons in Atlanta.

“[Hamstring injuries] can be quite lingering,’’ Amukamara said yesterday.

When he was removed from last week’s 52-27 victory over the Saints, Amukamara said he could have remained in the game and taking him out was just precautionary.

As it turns out, that wasn’t the case.

“I definitely felt a little bit more pain after the game after the adrenaline started to come down, but I don’t know what my status will be this weekend until the coach or the trainers tell me,’’ Amukamara said.

“They didn’t tell me if it was a bad one. They said my strength and my motion is still good.

“It’s just that little bite in there when you try to open up. So as soon as that goes away I think I’ll be great.’’

Since taking over as the starting right cornerback, Amukamara has made steady strides and his loss will be a big one, considering a rookie, Jayron Hosley, is next in line." Read more...

Osi, G-Men Set To Sack ATL

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/osi_men_set_to_sack_it_to_atl_wZQK0E9xAXPvHbH2ekKB PN

Excerpt: "It is not correct, Osi Umenyiora says, to assume members of the Giants defensive line are feeling the heat to generate more quarterback sacks.

No one can hit one out of the park unless the ball is pitched.

“It’s just like a guy who’s a slugger and every single time they’re throwing him balls,’’ Umenyiora said yesterday. “They’re trying to walk him and then you’re asking why he’s not hitting home runs. If they pitch him the ball, he’s going to hit a home run.

“We’re not getting pitches. It’s really that simple. When we get the pitches whenever we get ahead, whenever we get one-on-one blocks, we’re going to take advantage of them, but we’re just not really seeing that right now.’’

Umenyiora, with six sacks, is just behind Jason Pierre-Paul (6 1/2) for the team lead, with the other pass-rushing defensive end, Justin Tuck, stuck on three. Umenyiora says he knows he and the others are judged by their sack totals, which are down for all three. He insists sacks, while important, are not the end-all and be-all.

“We can say it till we’re blue in the face, but the only people who know and actually sit there and watch this for a living ... we know exactly how it is that we’re actually affecting the quarterback and the teams that try and take us away,’’ Umenyiora said. “So at the end of the day sacks are what everybody looks at, so we have to find a way to get more.’’

The only sack last week against Drew Brees was by Umenyiora mid-way through the fourth quarter, despite Brees dropping back 44 times. That sounds like not enough pressure until you hear defensive coordinator Perry Fewell explain the gameplan against the Saints was to make Brees’ feet “hot’’ and “move the launch pad,’’ meaning not allow him to set himself before throwing.

In other words, don’t worry about sacks." Read more...

Forget How You Start The Season, It's How You Finish In Today's NFL

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/happy_endings_Ylci6VD9GIh4UsOomUXdWP

Excerpt: "Once upon a time, the 11-2 Falcons would be considered the class of the NFC and the 8-5 Giants would be just another team battling for a playoff spot.

But that was before lower seeds started consistently breaking through to claim the Lombardi Trophy, including the past two years with the Packers and Giants going from wild-card weekend to Super Bowl champion. How you start the regular season is important, but how you finish it has become the predictor of postseason success.

“What has happened over the last two years with the Packers and Giants, both teams that got hot at the right time of year and got on a roll before the playoffs. Everyone is looking for that team,” said FOX analyst Daryl Johnston, who will be in the booth for Sunday’s showdown in Atlanta.

“Not the team with the best record, the one that’s playing the best football and will be able to carry that momentum into the postseason. ... That was the big thing last year: The Giants felt if they could knock off the Jets, knock off Dallas to make the playoffs, then they could play with anybody.”

No one can question the Giants’ Super Bowl credentials with two championships in the past five seasons, but they are far from a lock to be in the playoffs with a one-game lead over the Redskins and Cowboys in the NFC East. For the second straight year that division may only send one team to the postseason, and you could not blame the rest of the NFC if they were quietly rooting for the Falcons to clear the path for Dallas and Washington.

“If they can string some wins together going into the postseason everyone is going to look at New York as that scary team that’s gotten on a roll again, and we know what they’ve done in the past,” Johnston said." Read more...

Cruz: Giants' Keeping Lombardi Trophy "Means Everything"

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...xm9sjJv4HDWM4O (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/to_the_death_m9ombh8Cxm9sjJv4HDWM4O)

Excerpt: "Not far from where the inflatable red and green truck that bears the name The Energy Truck stands, complete with a Tom Coughlin caricature behind the wheel, Victor Cruz begins talking about what it means for these Giants to defend the Lombardi Trophy.

The Giants and the Lombardi Trophy: Til Death Do They Part.

“It means a lot, it means a lot,” Cruz begins. “We understand that coming into the season, everybody was gunning for us because we’re the defending champs so, to defend it means everything.

“You want to keep that trophy under lock and key, and you don’t want anyone to try and come in and say they can take it from you or anything like that so, we just want to continue to fight for it and hopefully be hoisting another one up this year.”

I ask Cruz: “So what is it going to take to take this trophy away from this team?

“It’s going to take a lot,” he said. “It’s going to take them having to beat us down physically, mentally, everything for another team to take our trophy from us because we live and die by it, we understand how hard it was to get there, how hard it was to play in that game emotionally, physically, and it’s going to take a lot for people to take that from us.” Read more...

Prince May Miss Giants' Game vs, Falcons With Hamstring Injury

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...0kRa0KaBZqyJiP (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/royal_pain_prince_may_miss_big_blue_O39b5LTH0kRa0K aBZqyJiP)

Excerpt: "Cornerback Prince Amukamara came out of the Saints game with a strained hamstring and was not able to practice yesterday, a potentially huge loss, considering the Falcons have two quality receivers in Roddy White and Julio Jones and the safeties will have their hands full with ageless Tony Gonzalez, who leads the team with 81 receptions.

Coach Tom Coughlin called Amukamara’s hamstring injury “tricky.’’ In what way?

“Well, they all want to play,’’ Coughlin said. “He’s, ‘Aww, I feel better today,’ but what can you do? Oh, well we can’t run him today. Oh, OK, good.’’

If Amukamara is out, safety Antrel Rolle will likely have increased assignments at cornerback.

* The Giants on Sunday will be trying to do what few have been able to accomplish inside the Georgia Dome. The Falcons have won 10 straight home games dating back to last season and their quarterback, Matt Ryan, is nearly unbeatable in his indoor playpen.

Ryan is 32-4 in the dome in his four-plus seasons. Only Tom Brady (29-2) has a better home-field winning percentage in that span.

“Obviously to have a record like that you have to have great quarterback play and he’s been doing that,’’ Justin Tuck said. “Our focus is just making sure he doesn’t get the opportunity to get comfortable back there and hoping we can rattle him a little bit that way. If not, it’s going to be a long day.’’

* Safety Kenny Phillips (knee) has taken a step back after he was able to return two weeks ago. He sat out again. Coughlin said Phillips “is not ready to work.’’ Phillips missed six straight games with an MCL sprain, came back for two and sat out last week." Read more...

SITE LINK (http://www.nypost.com/sports/giants)

THE BERGEN RECORD

Giants Need Rookie Jayron Hosley To Step Up

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/183464591_Giants_need_rookie_DB_Jayron_Hosley_to_s tep_up.html

Excerpt: "Tough love, sink or swim, Jayron Hosley can choose the cliché. But the message from coach Tom Coughlin has been consistent: 2012 may be the cornerback's first NFL season but the Giants no longer consider him a rookie.

"We expect you to step up now," Hosley said Thursday of what he's been told more than once.

In this case, "now" is Sunday's showdown in Atlanta with the NFC-leading Falcons (11-2) as the Giants (8-5) maintain a one game lead over the Redskins and Cowboys in the NFC East.

Cornerback Prince Amukamara is expected to miss the game after leaving Sunday's 52-27 win over the visiting Saints with a hamstring issue, meaning Hosley will take over his starting spot at right cornerback.

"They didn't tell me if it was a bad one," Amukamara said of his hamstring, adding he believed it was a strain and not a tear. "It's just that little bite in there when you try to open up."

And with safeties Kenny Phillips (knee) and Tyler Sash (hamstring) likely to miss their second straight games, secondary depth against the potent Falcons' passing attack will be crucial.

"Right now, concern can't be a matter for us," safety Antrel Rolle said. "We have to go in with the guys we have and be very confident that those guys will get the job done. So far, so good, those guys have done a great job of filling their roles."

The fact that wide receiver Roddy White (knee), who ranks fifth in the NFC with 77 catches for 1,140 yards and five touchdowns, will be a game-time decision after missing practice on Thursday, does not diminish the Falcons' threat.

Tight end Tony Gonzalez, 36, is fourth in the conference with 81 catches for 831 yards and seven touchdowns. Speedy Giants linebacker Jacquian Williams will look to do as good a job defending the wily veteran as he did against the Saints' Jimmy Graham, who caught five passes for 56 yards against the Giants but went without a reception when going against Williams." Read more...

Don't Rule Out Ahmad

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/18...out_Ahmad.html (http://www.northjersey.com/sports/183297941_Don_t_rule_out_Ahmad.html)

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin won’t say anything publicly before team doctors tell him with certainty that Ahmad Bradshaw is absolutely physically unable to play against the Falcons when two of the NFC’s top contenders collide Sunday afternoon.

Knowing what he knows about Bradshaw, Coughlin might even wait until the door to the plane on the Giants’ charter flight to Atlanta is closed before making a declaration on his status.

Until then, Coughlin is moving forward with a wait-and-see approach regarding Bradshaw and his availability, even if the feeling from teammates certainly makes it seem as though rookie David Wilson will start in the offensive backfield against Atlanta.

"I’m not going to rule him out of anything," Coughlin said. "I’m not going to talk about the percentages or anything like that. You can speculate on that, knowing full well what the injury is. He’s a tough son of a gun. That’s why I say that.

"I say that with admiration."

Bradshaw missed practice with a sprained knee Wednesday and might not be able to return to the practice field at all this week, depending on how the injury he sustained four days ago against the Saints responds to treatment.

As it is, Bradshaw was able to practice only once prior to game days while continuing to nurse previous ailments related to his surgically-repaired feet and a sore neck.

"I never count that guy out. Nobody ever should," fullback Henry Hynoski said. "If it was up to Ahmad he would’ve been practicing [Wednesday]. That’s how Ahmad is.

"He’s a tough guy and a team guy, too."

But these Giants (8-5) remain focused on their quest to be in position to repeat as Super Bowl champions, and in Coughlin’s world of "next man up," Wilson appears ready to seize the moment created by Bradshaw’s uncertain availability.

In some ways, the first-round pick from Virginia Tech already has." Read more...

Giants' Notes: Stevie Brown Added To Pro Bowl Ballott

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/18...he_ballot.html (http://www.northjersey.com/sports/183298081_Giant_notes__Stevie_Brown_on_the_ballot. html)

Excerpt: "Safety Stevie Brown found out he was added to the Pro Bowl ballot Wednesday morning when he got a voicemail from his excited sister, Nikki.

"My sister and my mom have been checking for weeks, and they kept telling me, 'Can't vote for you because you're not on there,'" Brown recalled with a laugh after practice. "I guess they're voting now."

And deservedly so, considering Brown has seven interceptions – one behind NFL leader Tim Jennings of Chicago — and is among the league leaders in takeaways.

In his first year with the Giants, Brown has gone from unknown to being someone of whom the opposition has to be aware in the secondary before every snap.

Just ask Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan.

"When you watch him, he moves very well. His change of direction is very good," Ryan said. "He's got good instincts and certainly a guy that is playing with a ton of confidence right now." Read more...

Week 15 NFL Game Probabilities

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2.../?ref=football (http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/12/13/week-15-n-f-l-game-probabilities-patriots-are-true-outliers/?ref=football)

Excerpt: "Here are the game probabilities for Week 15:

Pwin
GAME
Pwin

Cincinnati at Philadelphia

NY Giants at Atlanta

Minnesota at St. Louis

Jacksonville at Miami

Green Bay at Chicago

Washington at Cleveland

Denver at Baltimore

Indianapolis at Houston

Tampa Bay at New Orleans

Detroit at Arizona

Carolina at San Diego

Seattle at Buffalo

Pittsburgh at Dallas

Kansas City at Oakland

San Francisco at New England

NY Jets at Tennessee

Read more...

SITE LINK (http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pro_sports/football/)

NEW YORK TIMES

SITE LINK (http://www.nytimes.com/pages/sports/football/index.html)

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK (http://online.wsj.com/public/page/news-sports-nfl.html)

GIANTS.COM

Giants vs. Falcons Scouting Report

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...f-8a6c71c324ab (http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Giants-vs-Falcons-Scouting-Report/65f86084-f713-47f2-9a7f-8a6c71c324ab)

"The first place Giants host the Falcons Sunday at the Georgia DomeThe Giants’ daunting late-season schedule will present them with another challenge Sunday when they visit the Atlanta Falcons in the Georgia Dome. The Falcons lost last week at Carolina, 30-20, but still own the NFC’s best record at 11-2, including 6-0 at home, where they have won 10 in a row dating back to last season. The Giants are 8-5 after their 52-27 romp past the New Orleans Saints. They lead the NFC East by a game over Dallas and Washington. The teams last met on January 8, when the Giants defeated Atlanta, 24-2, in an NFC Wild Card Game, in the teams’ first-ever postseason meeting. The regular-season series is tied, 10-10. They last met in the regular season on Nov. 22, 2009, when the Giants won in overtime, 34-31. Prior to that Giants triumph, the visiting team had won the previous 12 games in the series dating back to 1981, the longest such streak in NFL history. The Giants have won their last seven games in Atlanta, where they are 8-3 overall, including 3-0 in the Georgia Dome.

Offense

The Falcons are ranked eighth in the NFL in both yards (376.2) and points per game (25.9). They are fourth in the league in passing yardage (289.2 per game) but 28th in rushing (86.9). Atlanta is third in the NFL in third-down conversion percentage (44.6, 74 of 166), has a plus-six turnover differential and is tied with Denver with a league-high 51 trips inside the opposition 20-yard line. The Falcons have scored 30 touchdowns in the red zone, a 58.8 percent rate that is tied for seventh in the NFL.

The Falcons’ strength of schedule is the league’s lowest. They are by far the league’s least-penalized team, with just 47 accepted infractions (the Giants are second with 63). Under new offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, the Falcons have scored an NFL-high 44 opening-possession points. They have a potent, quick-strike offense that has scored 49 points on drives of four plays or less. Atlanta is 42-2 when leading at halftime under coach Mike Smith.

Quarterback Matt Ryan is 32-4 in the dome, with three of those losses to New Orleans. He is 30-1 when his passer rating is higher than 100.0. A 2010 Pro Bowler, Ryan is third in the NFL in complete percentage (67.7) and passing yards (3,932). But he has thrown 14 interceptions, including eight in the last six games. Ryan is a good decision-maker with a quick release and impressive arm strength. He is accurate throwing to all levels. His backup is Luke McCown.

Ryan throws to one of the league’s best group of receivers. Roddy White (77 catches for 1,140 yards and five touchdowns) and Julio Jones (63-997-7) lead all NFL wide receiver tandems in receptions and yards (140 for 2,137 yards). White was selected to each of the last four Pro Bowls and now has six consecutive 1,000-yard seasons. He can play all the wideout positions, is a terrific route-runner, has good deep speed and gains chunks of yardage after escaping the initial contact from a defender. Jones is averaging a team-high 15.8 yards per reception. He is a big, strong, physical receiver who eats up ground quickly with his scary yards-after-catch speed. The third receiver is Harry Douglas, who lines up in the slot and has good instincts and hands. Drew Davis gets a few snaps a game.

Tight end Tony Gonzalez is a 16-year veteran and a 12-time Pro Bowler who is second in NFL history with 1,230 receptions – including a team-high 81 this season. Seven of his 11 red zone catches have been touchdowns. Gonzalez lines up all over the formation and has a great feel for the passing game. He locates voids in zone defenses, his experience helps him set up and beat defenders and his strong hands enable him to catch anything thrown his way. Backup Michael Palmer has averaged about 14 snaps a game and is a solid receiver. Chase Coffman also contributes.

Michael Turner leads the team with 689 rushing yards, but his workload has decreased in recent games as Smith tries to keep him fresh for the playoffs. Turner is a strong, patient runner who is a load to tackle. He is particularly effective in short-yardage and goal line situations and he has eight of the Falcons’ 10 rushing touchdowns. Jacquizz Rodgers has picked up most of the snaps Turner has lost. He has rushed for 295 yards and caught 43 passes. A tough 5-7 runner, Rodgers is a quick and explosive back who can dart through traffic. Jason Snelling plays both running back and fullback and is more productive as a receiver than a ballcarrier. He is a trusted third-down target for Ryan. Mike Cox, who was re-signed on November 7, is an old-school fullback who quickly locates his target when blocking and hits him hard.

The Falcons’ offensive line is the fourth-oldest in the NFL and has a new offensive line coach in Pat Hill, the former head coach at Fresno State. His best player this season is left guard Justin Blalock, who has performed at a Pro Bowl level. He has made 82 consecutive starts and has not missed a snap since 2007. Blalock has natural power and strength and he consistently clamps down on defensive linemen. Left tackle Sam Baker is a former first-round draft choice who is a smart, technically-sound player with quick hands. Right tackle Tyson Clabo is a 6-6, 329-pounder who can steer his opponent out of the play when the Falcons run the ball. Rookie Peter Konz has been the starting right guard since Week 8, when Garrett Reynolds was placed on injured reserve. He is a rapidly-improving player with long arms and competitiveness. Center Todd McClure is a 14-year veteran who is still playing at a high level.

Defense

The Falcons are 20thin the NFL in yards allowed at 361.9 a game, but a far more impressive fifth in scoring defense (19.9 points game). They are tied for 23rddefending the run (127.0 yards a game) and are 16thagainst the pass (234.9). The Falcons have been hurt at times by missed tackles, a problem that was particularly acute last week in the loss to the Panthers.

Atlanta’s new defensive coordinator this year is Mike Nolan, who held the same position with the Giants under Dan Reeves from 1993-96. His unit has committed only 16 penalties in 13 games. Right end John Abraham is a four-time Pro Bowler and one of the best pass-rushers of his era. He leads all active players with 122.0 career sacks, including a team-high 10.0 this season. Abraham is an explosive player with a quick finishing burst. He is strong turning the corner and still has impressive straight-line speed, making him Atlanta’s No. 1 threat to the quarterback. Jonathan Babineaux became the starting left end when the Falcons released Ray Edwards. He is a high-motor athlete with good foot quickness who moves inside in sub packages. Corey Peters, a point of attack brawler, has started the last five games at nose tackle. He has the power to get to the quarterback up the middle. Tackle Kroy Biermann leads Atlanta’s defensive linemen with 48 tackles. He is a relentless pass rusher who has the speed and smarts to drop into coverage when called upon. Former starter Peria Jerry is an undersized tackle who is playing less often. His quickness at the snap can be a problem for offensive linemen. Vance Walker is a heavy-bodied defender who is a strong point of attack anchor. Cliff Matthews is a rookie seventh-round draft choice who has worked his way into the rotation the last four weeks. Another first-year player, Travian Robertson also gets some snaps.Akeem Dent is the starting middle linebacker this season after impressing the coaches with 19 special teams tackles last year. He is a downhillplayer who is quick to insert into the run game. Stephen Nicholas is a tough strongside linebacker who disrupts the opponent’s run game and has a knack for raising his hands and deflecting passes. Weakside backer Sean Weatherspoon is an every-down player with speed, agility and superb athleticism. He makes all the huddle calls and is Atlanta’s best cover linebacker, with the ability to stay with backs and tight ends in man-to-man coverage. Weatherspoon has 3.0 sacks and five tackles for losses despite missing three games. Mike Peterson is a 14-year veteran who can back up all three linebacker positions. Robert James contributes a lot of energy when he is on the field.

The secondary is the strength of the Falcons’ defense. William Moore and Thomas DeCoud arguably form the NFL’s best safety tandem. Moore leads the team with 105 tackles (71 solo) and they have combined for nine interceptions; Atlanta is the only team in the league that has two safeties with at least four picks each. Moore didn’t play last week because of a hamstring injury. When he’s on the field Moore plays with a mean streak. He instinctively reads the quarterback, takes excellent angles in pursuit and is one of the league’s best tacklers. DeCoud is a good communicator in the back of the defense who has become a more aggressive and dependable defender this season. Chris Hope is a smart and experienced third safety who started last week for Moore (who did not practice Wednesday or Thursday). Cornerback Asante Samuel is familiar to the Giants from his tenure with the Philadelphia Eagles. A four-time Pro Bowler, he still excels at baiting a quarterback into mistakes and is not shy about taking risks. He hurt his shoulder against Arizona on November 18 and last week he dressed but did not play vs. the Panthers. Dunta Robinson is a physical corner who quickly breaks on the ball and has good anticipation when playing in a zone. He is an outstanding tackler after a receiver catches a pass or in the run game. Robert McClain is the third cornerback and has made four starts, including last week for Samuel. If Samuel again sits out, Chris Owens will play corner in the nickel, with McClain moving inside to cover the slot receiver. McClain has good anticipation and is particularly adept at snuffing out screen passes. Owens plays the ball well when it is in the air and is strong in run support.

Special Teams

Matt Bosher handles the punting, kickoff and holding duties. He is ninth in the league in gross punting average (47.4 yards) and eighth in net yards (41.4). Bosher often kicks the ball exceptionally high and has good directional punting ability. Former Giant Matt Bryant has made 29 of 34 field goal attempts this season, including all four from 51 yards and longer. Rodgers did not return kickoffs at Oregon State, but he has a 26.9-yard average on 18 runbacks this season. He is a good one-cut and go returner. Punt returner Dominique Franks has a quick first step and is a fluid runner. Hope leads the team with 10 special teams tackles.

Giants' Injury Report - 12/13/2912
http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...3-a94243765b61 (http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Giants-Injury-Report---1213/e3dbc792-c9ab-4f66-a0b3-a94243765b61)

Here is the latest Giants Injury Report

NEW YORK GIANTS

Did Not Participate in Practice
CB Prince Amukamara (Hamstring)
LB Michael Boley (Back)
RB Ahmad Bradshaw (Knee/Foot)
S Kenny Phillips (Knee)
S Tyler Sash (Hamstring)

Limited Participation in Practice
WR Hakeem Nicks (Knee)
DE Jason Pierre-Paul (Back)

ATLANTA FALCONS

Did Not Participate in Practice
S William Moore (Hamstring)
WR Roddy White (Knee)

Limited Participation in Practice
DT Jonathan Babineaux (Ribs)
WR Harry Douglas (Ribs)
CB Asante Samuel (Shoulder)

GIANTS 101

Giants' Prince Amukamara Hopeful Yet Uncertain Of His Week 15 Availability

http://www.giants101.com/2012/12/13/new-york-giants-prince-amukamara-hopeful-yet-uncertain-of-his-week-15-availability/

Excerpt: "More injury news coming out of Giants camp today. Starting cornerbackPrince Amukamara (http://www.giants101.com/tag/prince-amukamara/), who has not been able to practice this week, says he is uncertain of his status for Sunday's road matchup against the Atlanta Falcons. The Giants lost Amukamara to a hamstring injury in the fourth quarter of Big Blue's blow out win over the New Orleans (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-orleans/) Saints. He was replaced on the outside by rookie Jayron Hosley.

Amukamara has been a pleasant surprise for the Giants this season. Despite struggling through his rookie campaign and the preseason, Prince has come on to be the Giants most reliable cornerback this season. With Corey Webster (http://www.giants101.com/tag/corey-webster/) showing signs of decline, Amukamara has been reliable in pass coverage and incredibly effective against the run. His presence would be sorely missed against the likes of Roddy White (http://www.giants101.com/tag/roddy-white/) and Julio Jones this weekend in Atlanta. The second year player out of Nebraska spoke to the media about his hamstring injury this afternoon.

"They didn’t tell me if it was a bad one," Amukamara said. "They said my strength and my motion is still good. It’s just that little bite in there when you try to open up. So as soon as that goes away, I think I’ll be great."

The Giants will likely keep Hosley as Amukamara's replacement. Although Hosley has had his mishaps this season, he is not a bad matchup on Julio Jones. Both players have speed, but lack physicality. As long as Hosley can run with Jones down the field and can avoid getting beat deep, he should be an adequate replacement for Amukamara for a week." Read more...

Giants' Safety Kenny Phillips Has Set Back, Still Not Practicing

http://www.giants101.com/2012/12/13/...ot-practicing/ (http://www.giants101.com/2012/12/13/new-york-giants-safety-kenny-phillips-has-setback-still-not-practicing/)

Excerpt: "The New York Giants (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/) injury report is growing as the team prepares for theAtlanta Falcons (http://www.giants101.com/tag/atlanta-falcons/) on Sunday. The team is practicing without the likes of Ahmad Bradshaw (http://www.giants101.com/tag/ahmad-bradshaw/) (knee), Prince Amukamara (hamstring), Tyler Sash (hamstring) andKenny Phillips (http://www.giants101.com/tag/kenny-phillips/) (knee). All four look doubtful to play on Sunday. In particular, head coach Tom Coughlin (http://www.giants101.com/tag/tom-coughlin/) says Phillips had a setback on his sprained knee against the Washington Redskins and the timetable for his return is uncertain.

Phillips originally injured his knee in Week four against the Philadelphia Eagles. He returned to action against the Green Bay Packers in Week 12, only to reaggravate the injury. Phillips played limited snaps against the Washington Redskins the next week, and missed Sunday’s game against the New Orleans Saints.

Phillips is on record stating his dissatisfaction with how the Giants medical staff initially handled his injury.

“When we started our rehab we didn’t go about it the right way, and now here we are, we’re dealing with it right now,” Phillips said. “I don’t want to get into (specifics). It just didn’t work out the way we wanted it to. I mean, I wouldn’t say I’m mad about it. It is what it is. No one’s perfect. I just think we both felt that something needed to change. We needed to change up the rehab. We just felt like we weren’t doing the right things. So we just switched up and it immediately starting feeling better. So I’m here now. I’m not worried about the games that I missed.” Read more...

Giants Plan To "Slow Down" Hakeem Nicks, Return Him To Limited Practice

http://www.giants101.com/2012/12/13/...tice-schedule/ (http://www.giants101.com/2012/12/13/new-york-giants-plan-to-slow-down-hakeem-nicks-return-him-to-limited-practice-schedule/)

Excerpt: "New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks (http://www.giants101.com/tag/hakeem-nicks/) was feeling great about his recovery just a few short weeks ago, saying he felt the best he had all season. Then, suddenly, a lingering knee issue cropped back up causing him to miss a Thursday practice (http://www.giants101.com/2012/12/06/new-york-giants-hakeem-nicks-misses-thursday-practice/) last week. And although he didn't miss a week 14 game against the New Orleans Saints, it did prompt head coach Tom Coughlin (http://www.giants101.com/tag/tom-coughlin/) to acknowledge that Nicks will not approach 100% again for the remainder of the season.

“We’re probably going to have to slow down a little bit, not do much, with him,” Coughlin said. “Maybe bring him in a little bit as we move along.”

Coughlin added that Nicks' status for a week 15 game against the Atlanta Falcons isn't in question, but his practice schedule for the remainder of the season will be limited – similar to that of Plaxico Burress in 2007." Read more...

SITE LINK (http://www.giants101.com/)

BIG BLUE VIEW

Giants At Falcons: Atlanta Scouting Report

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/12/1...couting-report (http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/12/12/3759178/giants-at-falcons-atlanta-scouting-report)

Excerpt: "The Atlanta Falcons (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/atlanta-falcons) are 11-2, have already clinched the NFC South and appear well on their way to earning a bye and home-field advantage during the NFC Playoffs. Yet, as Jorge Castillo of the Star-Ledger wrote (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/12/falcons_seeking_to_prove_skept.html), "skeptics are plentiful."

That means the defending Super Bowl champion Giants (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/new-york-giants) arrive at the Georgia Dome Sunday at what might be a critical time for the Falcons, especially coming off a loss to the Carolina Panthers (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/carolina-panthers).

"I can hear everybody right now," tight end Tony Gonzalez said (http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2012/12/09/falcons-give-performance-to-leave-us-wondering-again/?cxntfid=blogs_jeff_schultz_blog). "They’re getting off the bandwagon. I can hear them jumping off. Looking at our history, people are going to go, ‘See, I told you.’"

The Falcons also have the added motivation of the memory of last season's lopsided 24-2 loss to the Giants in the Wild-Card round of the NFC Playoffs.

"I don’t have this, like, deep desire to get them back," Falcons tackle Tyson Clabo said (http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2012/12/12/giants-arriving-at-big-moment-in-falcons%E2%80%99-season/). "I just want to play well and defend the Dome and get a win."

Let' take a look at the Falcons in this week's Scouting Report.

Offense

Overall rank: 376.2 yards per game (8th)

Rushing: 86.9 yards per game (28th)

Passing: 289.2 yards per game (4th)

Quarterback Matt Ryan is having a fantastic season for a Falcons team that is much more pass-oriented than you might have realized. 'Matty Ice' has competed 346-of-511 pass attempts (67.7 percent) for 3,932 yards, 24 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. He has a passer rating of 94.8. You think the Giants throw the ball a lot. Eli Manning (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2235/eli-manning) has 462 pass attempts this season, far fewer than Ryan.

Of course, Ryan has an incredibly prolific trio of receivers to throw to. Tight end Tony Gonzalez, a future Hall of Famer, has a team-leading 81 catches. Wide receiver Roddy White (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1192/roddy-white) has 77 catches for a team-high 1,140 yards (14.8 yards per catch) and Julio Jones (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/131119/julio-jones) has 63 receptions for 997 yards (15.8 per catch).

Michael Turner (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/3034/michael-turner) leads the Falcons' ground game with 689 yards and averages 3.7 yards per carry." Read more...

SITE LINK (http://www.bigblueview.com/section/news)

SPORTING NEWS

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK (http://gmenhq.com/)

YARDBARKER

SITE LINK (http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/teams/new_york_giants/56)

INSIDE FOOTBALL

Giants' Understudies Ready For Bigger Roles

http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/5676

Excerpt: "The injury bug has shown the Giants very little mercy this season, and with the prospects of the Giants being without three of their starters, head coach Tom Coughlin is once again challenging the “next man up” to pick up the slack.

On offense, it’s looking highly unlikely that Ahmad Bradshaw will be able to play on Sunday. The veteran leader missed his second day of practice, spending the session inside so he could get extra treatment on a sprained left knee that, as well as a troublesome foot, has become more than just a minor annoyance for him.

Bradshaw’s potential absence will open the door for rookie, who last week despite playing on only 30 percent of the offensive snaps David Wilson, recorded 100 yards rushing and two rushing touchdowns in what was his break out party. Coughlin noted that h the coaches have worked with Wilson to get him in the right frame of mind for a potentially larger role on the offense this week.

“Yeah we’ve talked about it,” Coughlin said. “He’s been well prepared in terms of building his load up, so I’m sure he’s ready for it.”

In addition to Wilson’s likely promotion to starter, Kregg Lumpkin and Ryan Torain, both of whom signed with the Giants on Nov. 27 after André Brown broke his leg and was placed on temporary injured reserve, will need to be ready for a potentially bigger role as well.

“Just preparing like every day that I might get the opportunity,” Lumpkin said when asked if he’s been approaching this week any differently. “Just going out there every day in the meeting room, just trying to learn all the ins and outs of the offense, and trying to play football.

One advantage that Lumpkin has on his side is that he’s been in this situation before where he’s had to learn other offenses on the fly. He said that’s helped him speed up his learning curve here with the Giants.

“It’s been good. A lot of things I learned before have been similar, just different verbiage so I just try to put two and two together with the new verbiage I lean and the old terminology,” he said. “Just combining the two and making sure I’m on the right assignments.”

One area in particular where Lumpkin, who only played five snaps last week, could see an increased role is on the pass block. Again, he feels confident in his knowledge of the game plan.

“We go through some different scenarios in the meeting room and then we get on the practice field and go through different scenarios,” he said. “Just having the coaches constantly quizzing you on what to do, who to block and so on helps to when it’s game time, you can just go out there and play.”

“They’re working hard,” Coughlin said of Lumpkin and Torain, the latter of whom could make his début this weekend. “Those kids are working full speed and they’ve had to. They’ve had accelerated learning and have basically had to learn game plans and not start from the beginning. We’ve been impressed with the way they’ve applied themselves.”

On the defensive side of the ball, the Giants will be without safety Kenny Phillips, as Coughlin admitted that the safety, who has missed seven games this season, had a setback with his ailing knee which is reportedly a PCL sprain.

They’re also unlikely to have starting cornerback Prince Amukamara, who has been unable to practice due to a hamstring issue.

At safety, Will Hill, who has been the third safety for all but the four games in which he served a league-imposed suspension two months ago, figures to play a bit of a larger role against a Falcons passing offense that has quite a number of play makers.

“No. No concerns at all,” Hill said when asked if he had any doubts about being ready for Sunday. “The vets have complete confidence in us, the coaching staff (too), and we have confidence in ourselves, so we’re ready and willing.”

Hill, who has at times worked against the slot receiver, said that while he could continue to play both safety and cover the slot in the same game, said he doesn’t limit his thinking about his role to just one spot.

“I see myself as a player, actually,” he said. “Wherever they need me at, that’s where I’m going to be. Whatever it’s classified as, it doesn’t even matter. I study everything, and I’m trying to stay ahead of the game (so) just in case somebody does get hurt, I can go and play that position.”

However, with safety Antrel Rolle playing so well against the slot, defensive coordinator Perry Fewell said that Hill will primarily remain as a safety, which would mean Rolle will continue in his role against the slot receiver.

Hosley, meanwhile, is looking at a golden opportunity to take the next step in his development. The team’s nickel corner earlier in the year, he fell upon some hard times and was removed from that role.

“It definitely was a lot on my plate with all that all I was doing and learning and trying to comprehend,” he admitted about his early season struggles. “At the end of the day I looked at it like if they put this much on me and had that much confidence in me, and were depending on me, it was up to me to take it as seriously as they took me to do the job.”

Given the personnel shortage at his unit, Hosley is looking forward to the second chance, where Fewell confirmed that the rookie has been primarily working outside at corner and not in the slot and has done well at practice this week, according to Coughlin.

“He’s progressed, he’s practiced all week, and done a good job of paying attention and made an interception in progress,” Coughlin added. “So he’s building up toward the game.”

“Yeah, the game has definitely slowed down for me,” Hosley said. “It’s Week 15 (and) I’m catching on, but I’m still humble and focused in and trying to finish the season out strong. You never want to feel like you’ve got everything figured out. If you think you have everything figured out that comes up on you that you haven’t been up against before. So it’s always something you pick up every week and learn.” Read more...

Giants' Understudies Ready For Bigger Roles

http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/5676

Excerpt: "The injury bug has shown the Giants very little mercy this season, and with the prospects of the Giants being without three of their starters, head coach Tom Coughlin is once again challenging the “next man up” to pick up the slack.

On offense, it’s looking highly unlikely that Ahmad Bradshaw will be able to play on Sunday. The veteran leader missed his second day of practice, spending the session inside so he could get extra treatment on a sprained left knee that, as well as a troublesome foot, has become more than just a minor annoyance for him.

Bradshaw’s potential absence will open the door for rookie, who last week despite playing on only 30 percent of the offensive snaps David Wilson, recorded 100 yards rushing and two rushing touchdowns in what was his break out party. Coughlin noted that h the coaches have worked with Wilson to get him in the right frame of mind for a potentially larger role on the offense this week.

“Yeah we’ve talked about it,” Coughlin said. “He’s been well prepared in terms of building his load up, so I’m sure he’s ready for it.”

In addition to Wilson’s likely promotion to starter, Kregg Lumpkin and Ryan Torain, both of whom signed with the Giants on Nov. 27 after André Brown broke his leg and was placed on temporary injured reserve, will need to be ready for a potentially bigger role as well.

“Just preparing like every day that I might get the opportunity,” Lumpkin said when asked if he’s been approaching this week any differently. “Just going out there every day in the meeting room, just trying to learn all the ins and outs of the offense, and trying to play football.

One advantage that Lumpkin has on his side is that he’s been in this situation before where he’s had to learn other offenses on the fly. He said that’s helped him speed up his learning curve here with the Giants.

“It’s been good. A lot of things I learned before have been similar, just different verbiage so I just try to put two and two together with the new verbiage I lean and the old terminology,” he said. “Just combining the two and making sure I’m on the right assignments.”

One area in particular where Lumpkin, who only played five snaps last week, could see an increased role is on the pass block. Again, he feels confident in his knowledge of the game plan.

“We go through some different scenarios in the meeting room and then we get on the practice field and go through different scenarios,” he said. “Just having the coaches constantly quizzing you on what to do, who to block and so on helps to when it’s game time, you can just go out there and play.”

“They’re working hard,” Coughlin said of Lumpkin and Torain, the latter of whom could make his début this weekend. “Those kids are working full speed and they’ve had to. They’ve had accelerated learning and have basically had to learn game plans and not start from the beginning. We’ve been impressed with the way they’ve applied themselves.”

On the defensive side of the ball, the Giants will be without safety Kenny Phillips, as Coughlin admitted that the safety, who has missed seven games this season, had a setback with his ailing knee which is reportedly a PCL sprain.

They’re also unlikely to have starting cornerback Prince Amukamara, who has been unable to practice due to a hamstring issue.

At safety, Will Hill, who has been the third safety for all but the four games in which he served a league-imposed suspension two months ago, figures to play a bit of a larger role against a Falcons passing offense that has quite a number of play makers.

“No. No concerns at all,” Hill said when asked if he had any doubts about being ready for Sunday. “The vets have complete confidence in us, the coaching staff (too), and we have confidence in ourselves, so we’re ready and willing.”

Hill, who has at times worked against the slot receiver, said that while he could continue to play both safety and cover the slot in the same game, said he doesn’t limit his thinking about his role to just one spot.

“I see myself as a player, actually,” he said. “Wherever they need me at, that’s where I’m going to be. Whatever it’s classified as, it doesn’t even matter. I study everything, and I’m trying to stay ahead of the game (so) just in case somebody does get hurt, I can go and play that position.”

However, with safety Antrel Rolle playing so well against the slot, defensive coordinator Perry Fewell said that Hill will primarily remain as a safety, which would mean Rolle will continue in his role against the slot receiver." Read more...

SITE LINK (http://www.insidefootball.com/)

THE RED ZONE.

Atlanta Falcons: Giants' QB Eli Manning Q&A

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2012/12/12/atlanta-falcons-giants-qb-eli-manning-q-and-a/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_falcons_blog

Excerpt: "Excerpts from Giants quarterback Eli Manning’s conference call today with Atlanta reporters.

Q: What is about this team in December? It seems you turn it on.
A: A lot of times we are in that situation where need to win games to get into the playoffs. You’ve got to be excited about those opportunities and understand we are in a great position. But to hold on to the spot we’ve got to play our best football and find a way to win big games.
Q: Your rushing game has picked up with David Wilson. How is that able to help you?

A: Any time you can establish a good running game it always helps out and puts the defense on their heels a little bit. They don’t know if run or throwing and it slows down the pass rush. You’ve got to have a great mix of the run and pass. If you can get those safeties to stay high in a shell defense because they are scared of pass it should open up the run, and vice versa.

Q: What do you see different about the Falcons’ defense?

A: A little bit of a different scheme than last year. They are still a four-down [linemen] team but kind of more of a three-four style. Their safeties have been playing outstanding and getting interceptions. John Abraham has always a strong pass rusher. It seems they are very aggressive on defense and doing a good job getting turnovers.Q. You played against Asante Samuel in division games [when he was with the Eagles]. How does he give the Falcons a different look?

A: He’s obviously a guy who makes a lot of plays and kind of has his own style, his own technique. When he sees something, he’s aggressive and he always seems to be around the ball. You always have to keep your eyes on him.Q: There are differing views of the Falcons around the league. What is your opinion of the Falcons?

A: I think they are a very talented team and a good team and the record shows that. Offensively, they move the ball and make plays. The defense gets turnovers. As an opponent coming in know, both sides of ball have to play very smart and play at our highest level to go in there give ourselves a chance to win.Q: Why do you think Falcons don’t get respect even though they have the best record in the NFC?

A: I’m not sure about that. They have my respect.

SITE LINK (http://www.theredzone.org/)

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK (http://www.giantsfootballblog.com/)

NFL.COM

SITE LINK (http://www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkgiants/profile?team=NYG)

SI.COM

SITE LINK (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/new-york-giants/?eref=sinav)

ESPN.COM

Gilbride On Wilson, Bradshaw, and Lumpkin

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/20612/gilbride-on-wilson-bradshaw-and-lumpkin

Excerpt: "Kevin Gilbride is hopeful he has Ahmad Bradshaw (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/10693/ahmad-bradshaw) on Sunday against Atlanta.

But the offensive coordinator didn't sound too optimistic on Thursday about that happening with Bradshaw nursing a sprained knee and looking unlikely to play Sunday.

"His toughness ... everyone is appreciative of that aspect of his game and the enthusiasm he brings," Gilbride said. "When you lose that ... you listen to him, he’s not sure it’s lost, but we’ll see."

Gilbride and the Giants got a good look at what David Wilson (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14887/david-wilson) is capable of doing last Sunday when he rushed for 100 yards and two touchdowns, including a 52-yard touchdown run.

"He made the two good runs that were great to see," Gilbride said. "The one where he kind of lowered his shoulder and ran over a linebacker, which we’ve seen the toughness before and then when he had the opening that was exceptionally well-blocked, to be able to take what would’ve been an eight-to-15-yard gain, and take it to the house, was great to see."

But Gilbride cautioned that the Giants would like to see Wilson do some more things better.

"He’s still got some areas that you guys won’t see that need some significant upgrading," Gilbride said. "So we can keep the entire offense going. It was tremendous to see his dynamism and what he was able to give us in that respect. It was a big lift." Read more...

Big Opportunity For Jayron Hoelsy

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/20599/big-opportunity-for-jayron-hosley

Excerpt: "The Giants may have two rookies from Virginia Tech in the starting lineup Sunday.

The buzz this week has been about first-round draft pick David Wilson (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14887/david-wilson), coming off his scintillating performance against the Saints last week. Wilson is likely to be the Giants' primary running back against the Falcons, with Ahmad Bradshaw (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/10693/ahmad-bradshaw) missing practice so far this week with a sprained knee.

But cornerback Jayron Hosley (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14983/jayron-hosley), a fellow Hokie, may also get a starting nod, with Prince Amukamara (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13975/prince-amukamara) currently on the shelf with a hamstring injury.

"We feel comfortable with him, that he can get the job done," said defensive coordinator Perry Fewell. "And I think he’s excited about stepping up to that challenge."

Fewell raved about an interception Hosley made in practice on Thursday.

"The receiver ran an in-cut, and he just, he saw it," Fewell said. "He broke on the ball -- I kind of joked with him, I said, 'I didn’t know you were that fast.' Because he broke on the ball and intercepted it, and he was in the end zone before I could turn my head. He had a really good day today."

The Giants liked Hosley enough to draft him in the third round this past spring, and threw him into the fire right away at the nickel back position. Hosley played 25 defensive snaps (41 percent) in his very first NFL game against the Cowboys, and 48 snaps (92 percent) the next week against the Buccaneers. But his playing time has fallen off of late. Last week against the Saints, Hosley played just 18 snaps (25 percent). He's also missed time this season with a hamstring injury." Read more...

Osi: Defensive Line Must Do Better

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/giants/post/_/id/20593/osi-defensive-line-must-do-better

Excerpt: "The New York Giants’ vaunted defensive line is underperforming when it comes to sacks -- and the players know it.

“At the end of the day, sacks is what everybody looks at, so we have to find a way to get more,” defensive end Osi Umenyiora (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/4514/osi-umenyiora) said Thursday.

Last season, the Giants were tied for third in the NFL, with 48 sacks. Through 13 games this season, they have 31 -- tied for 12th in the league.

The Giants had just one sack in last week’s victory over the New Orleans Saints (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/no/new-orleans-saints), and were shut out the week before in a loss to the Washington Redskins (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/wsh/washington-redskins).

“It could have been better,” said Umenyiora, of the D-line’s performance against the Saints. “They do an outstanding job in the way they protect and the things that they’re able to do. I think we did OK. We won the game, which is the most important thing, but I think this week we’ll be better.”

Defensive coordinator Perry Fewell, however, came to his players’ defense Thursday.

“Our guys are very cooperative,” Fewell said. “It took a lot for them to do what I asked them to do last week. It wasn’t the most sack-friendly game (plan) for them, but it was the way we felt like we had to win that football game.”

When asked to be more specific about the plan, Fewell said, “I won’t reveal that. It’s a game-plan thing.” Read more...

SITE LINK (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyg/new-york-giants)

NBCSPORTS

SITE LINK (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/19/jets-reportedly-plan-to-use-tim-tebow-as-red-zone-quarterback/related/)

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK
(http://www.cbssports.com/nfl)
FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/new-york-giants/67056?q=new-york-giants)

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK (http://%20SITE%20LINK)
(http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/)
PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

SITE LINK (http://www.bigblueview.com/section/news)
(http://www.profootballweekly.com/team/giants/)
PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

PFF Pick 'Em: Week 15

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/13/pff-pickem-week-15/

Excerpt: "Hitting on only three of six consensus picks in Week 14, the staff is looking to rebound and has tabbed four across-the-board winners this week. Getting the call are New Orleans (at home against Tampa Bay), Miami (at home against Jacksonville), Detroit (visiting Arizona), and perhaps surprisingly, New England playing host to San Francisco in a potential Super Bowl matchup." Read more..

All but one picks the Falcons

SITE LINK (http://www.profootballfocus.com/)

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/)

MISCELLANEOUS

Doctor Says Dez Needs Surgery, Dez Plans To Play

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-play/related/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/13/doctor-says-dez-needs-surgery-dez-plans-to-try-to-play/related/)

Buddy333
12-14-2012, 08:40 AM
One minute you read that Prince is uncertain and the next it says they most likely won't have him. I really don't think they will have him. Plus, it looks like KP is not even close to coming back. Hopefully they get tons of pressure on the QB and force him into making some mistakes. Webster has played better lately while Rolle, Hill, and Brown have been playing well. Looks like its time to step up Hosely. This is basically the post season for this team.

RoanokeFan
12-14-2012, 08:49 AM
One minute you read that Prince is uncertain and the next it says they most likely won't have him. I really don't think they will have him. Plus, it looks like KP is not even close to coming back. Hopefully they get tons of pressure on the QB and force him into making some mistakes. Webster has played better lately while Rolle, Hill, and Brown have been playing well. Looks like its time to step up Hosely. This is basically the post season for this team.

The one thing about Prince is he doesn't seem to push himself to get back on the field. But then again what do I know. Hosley was known as a ball hawk in college and at least he's seen time in certain defenses. I think we are going to have a good defensive effort Sunday.

Buddy333
12-14-2012, 08:56 AM
Well pushing a hamstring is not the best things do. Remember how long Hosely was out for the same injury and remember at the end of that Panthers game he didn't look so bad?

RoanokeFan
12-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Well pushing a hamstring is not the best things do. Remember how long Hosely was out for the same injury and remember at the end of that Panthers game he didn't look so bad?

We may be without Prince, Bradshaw, and Phillips but I feel confident in the next men up. One thing about the Falcons is they have one of the easiest schedules in the NFL and Ryan is not a mobile QB in the mold of some of the guys we've been chasing around. I like our chances.

Buddy333
12-14-2012, 09:09 AM
The may be alright but they are extremely thin in their secondary. Also, not buying that they are doing a good job of pressuring the QB. Yeah they had some stat that said they did but it didn't look like it the other day. Brees looked comfortable back there.

RoanokeFan
12-14-2012, 09:13 AM
The may be alright but they are extremely thin in their secondary. Also, not buying that they are doing a good job of pressuring the QB. Yeah they had some stat that said they did but it didn't look like it the other day. Brees looked comfortable back there.

Brees was pressured on 18 of 44 drop backs. The pressure creates the errant throws which we've been very good at picking off all season long. I'll take pressure that creates a bad pass any day over a sack unless the sack results in a turnover.

Buddy333
12-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Pressure that cause a bad throw is probably even better than a sack. Just didn't see it hat way the other day. It looked more like Brees was trying to force so throws but had time to do so. Didn't watch the game again so maybe he did. Just don't remember it being that way.

GameTime
12-14-2012, 09:27 AM
more "stepping up and next man up" for the Gmen. Hosley get er done!!!
Wilson will prob be the man in the backfield too......get er done!!!

Buddy333
12-14-2012, 09:31 AM
more "stepping up and next man up" for the Gmen. Hosley get er done!!!Wilson will prob be the man in the backfield too......get er done!!!Also wondering where Randle is.

Captain Chaos
12-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Thanks Roanoke, think Prince will sit.

RoanokeFan
12-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks Roanoke, think Prince will sit. I think he will too.

RoanokeFan
12-14-2012, 09:53 AM
more "stepping up and next man up" for the Gmen. Hosley get er done!!! Wilson will prob be the man in the backfield too......get er done!!! Hosley was a ball hawk at Virginia Tech

GameTime
12-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Also wondering where Randle is.

IDK.....seems they put these guys in heavy for a game or two and then they are gone. maybe it limits the film on them so when they are utilized its more effective?? If the Giants get in the playoffs I can see a coupl eof these WR getting more time or more looks on criticle downs. Randle, IMO, seems to run lazy routes unless they are a go route or a slant. Doesnt seem to have crisp cuts.

RoanokeFan
12-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Also wondering where Randle is. Behind Nicks, Cruz, and Hixon. But, if they ask Hixon to return kicks and punts Randle may get more offensive snaps.

BigBlue1971
12-14-2012, 05:11 PM
thanks Roanoke!

hope the G-Men can get on roll of epic proportions!

RoanokeFan
12-14-2012, 05:12 PM
thanks Roanoke!

hope the G-Men can get on roll of epic proportions!

It has already started

BigBlue1971
12-14-2012, 05:16 PM
It has already started

+1.

to me it feels like after the Jets game last year!

and we all know how that turned out!

BeatYale
12-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Thanks bor.

Captain Chaos
12-15-2012, 05:08 AM
Thanks Roanoke!

RoanokeFan
12-15-2012, 07:25 AM
+1.

to me it feels like after the Jets game last year!

and we all know how that turned out!

Exactly

RoanokeFan
Thanks Roanoke!

You're welcome

RoanokeFan
Thanks bor.

You're welcome

BillTheGreek
12-15-2012, 08:27 AM