PDA

View Full Version : Should the personalities of players on a team effect your love for the team?

GentleGiant
12-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Just curious because I was reading all the posts in the thread about Tiki Barber.

Every franchise has its bad eggs.
Brett Favre made the packers look like an embarrassment. Michael Irvin and what he did in Dallas(albeit I like how he's turned it around).
Some are worse than others. Santonio Holmes had problems with the steelers.

Oj Simpson in Buffalo. Michael Vick in Philly and Atlanta. etc.
And other players.
LT did really bad things. Drugs, prostitution, and the infamous child case. However LT is still the greatest defensive player ever.
Tiki Barber by some is considered the best giants RB ever. He's also probably the biggest giants D-bag ever.

So. My question is should what these guys did and the fact of who they are as players affect your love for not just the players but the franchise as a whole?

For example...

What's your opinion on LT? What I'm more refferring to is because of what LT did BUT combined with the fact that he is such an icon in giants lore(albeit from what I've seen of LT it seems like he's got his act together nowadays a little bit but he trys not to act like a bum, but Tiki is just a lost cause). Does that affect your love for the franchise?

Rudyy
12-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Whatever Tiki did in his personal life is his business, and it should not reflect back on the football field.

However, you cannot dismiss what he said about Coughlin, Eli, Strahan, or whoever. THAT was football related. Great player, definitely. Great person? eh, that's debatable. It depends on the person though, so I really can't speak for everyone.

FIFTY6G-MAN
12-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Just curious because I was reading all the posts in the thread about Tiki Barber.

Brett Favre made the packers look like an embarrassment. Michael Irvin and what he did in Dallas(albeit I like how he's turned it around).

And other players.
LT did really bad things. Drugs, prostitution, and the infamous child case. However LT is still the greatest defensive player ever.
Tiki Barber by some is considered the best giants RB ever. He's also probably the biggest giants D-bag ever.

So. My question is should what these guys did and the fact of who they are as players affect your love for not just the players but the team as a whole?NO! It doesnt for me. Talent is talent, however, ACTIVE players on a roster can bring discredit to a team by their on/off field actions during a season. Nobody is perfect.

RoanokeFan
12-13-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm a team homer. Players, good and bad, come and go.

ashleymarie
12-13-2012, 09:52 PM
I don't think much of the scandal makers, those players who can't stay out of trouble with the law, or are domestically violent, or talk back to the coach and go to the media and run us down. I sure do cheer loudest when they make a much needed TD or runback or intercept for us.

joemorrisforprez
12-13-2012, 10:14 PM

And other players.

So. My question is should what these guys did and the fact of who they are as players affect your love for not just the players but the franchise as a whole?

For example...

What's your opinion on LT? What I'm more refferring to is because of what LT did BUT combined with the fact that he is such an icon in giants lore(albeit from what I've seen of LT it seems like he's got his act together nowadays a little bit but he's still a bum in my mind cause he never really acts like he was sorry, but Tiki is just a lost cause). Does that affect your love for the franchise?

Here is how I rank things:

1) I'm a Giants fan first....if a player leaves, I'll wish him well (depending on how he handled himself while a Giant).
2) I judge a player based on what he does on the field.....if he helps the Giants win, and handled himself like a pro, that's great.
3) Personal character is important. I like the fact that we have Eli Manning, and not Ben Roethlisberger as our QB.

Regarding the whole LT thing......he's a reckless person. That recklessness, combined with his physical gifts and mind for the game, made him the best defensive player I ever saw. But those same attributes haven't helped him in his post-football career. I'm not going to excuse his mistakes.....but he's hurt himself alot more than he's hurt anyone else. I don't want to go off on an LT sermon, because that topic usually gets out of hand, and my views on prostitution are political.

GentleGiant
12-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Here is how I rank things:

1) I'm a Giants fan first....if a player leaves, I'll wish him well (depending on how he handled himself while a Giant).
2) I judge a player based on what he does on the field.....if he helps the Giants win, and handled himself like a pro, that's great.
3) Personal character is important. I like the fact that we have Eli Manning, and not Ben Roethlisberger as our QB.

Regarding the whole LT thing......he's a reckless person. That recklessness, combined with his physical gifts and mind for the game, made him the best defensive player I ever saw. But those same attributes haven't helped him in his post-football career. I'm not going to excuse his mistakes.....but he's hurt himself alot more than he's hurt anyone else. I don't want to go off on an LT sermon, because that topic usually gets out of hand, and my views on prostitution are political.

I just imagine him as just a wild animal that Parcells unleashed on offenses than a human. He's not a POS to me though but he's not Tebow either.

The steelers defense always seemed like disciplined soldiers

The bears defense are more like just really big men(or bears).

where the giants is like a

"PACK OF CRAZED DOGS, HAVE SOME FUN!"

joemorrisforprez
12-13-2012, 10:36 PM
I just imagine him as just a wild animal that Parcells unleashed on offenses than a human. He's not a POS to me though but he's not Tebow either.

The steelers defense always seemed like disciplined soldiers

The bears defense are more like just really big men(or bears).

where the giants is like a

"PACK OF CRAZED DOGS, HAVE SOME FUN!"

Lawrence Taylor was born to wreak havoc.

I wish he had the maturity of a Carl Banks or Harry Carson, but that's not the case.

2000 years ago, he would have been fighting lions inside the Roman Coliseum.

Marvelousmik
12-13-2012, 10:42 PM

Dont think i could say it any better than this. +1

Toadofsteel
12-13-2012, 10:48 PM

I wish he had the maturity of a Carl Banks or Harry Carson, but that's not the case.

2000 years ago, he would have been fighting lions inside the Roman Coliseum.

And this would have been his helmet:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CqqQHIq1kkw/TWcpSk5F5pI/AAAAAAAAARA/lsJNwm4b4sU/s1600/TIGRIS-22.jpg

GentleGiant
12-13-2012, 10:48 PM

2000 years ago, he would have been fighting lions inside the Roman Colliseum. He gives me some hope. Like when he said that "there's no more LT, just Lawrence Taylor" and he apoligized for the prostitution.

My sister works as a nurse. One time one of her collegues was working on a vietnam war vet. The Vietnam vet immediatly told my sisters partner to take her top off. My sister asked "why didn't you do anything"? She said "oh all the old men from that time willsay stuff like that". The vet later strongly apoligized. LT played in the 80s.

It doesn't make it better but I can certainly relate to it because at least you know when Taylor says "he lived in a different time" he REALLY means it. Not to mention from what I've seen of the testimony of the girl. It happened, but it was far from rape.

He was a wild dog back then. But he isn't now.

FIFTY6G-MAN
12-13-2012, 11:09 PM
LT, Lawrence Taylor..... Has been a staple of this team since when he started with us back on September 6, 1981. That guy was and is the S**t. He was and still is my hero other than Rickey Henderson. LT knew no boundries and was kept on a short but prominent leash by the one and only Bill Parcells.

That was a great feat. I do not want anyone on these boards to ever try to compare what he did on the field from what he did off the field. The man is a LEGEND on the field and shall remain as such. I am sure that most of the posters on these boards have issues yet they dont get into the NATIONAL news cause we arent worth crap to broadcast about.

What he did off the field was a complete setup by a pimp and a girl with a fake ID to get money= extortion!!! LT fought it and won. ENOUGH about it. HE will ALWAYS be the best LB in Giants History, if not in NFL history. Get off your high horse!

Broadway Blue
12-13-2012, 11:16 PM
LT, Lawrence Taylor..... Has been a staple of this team since when he started with us back on September 6, 1981. That guy was and is the S**t. He was and still is my hero other than Rickey Henderson. LT knew no boundries and was kept on a short but prominent leash by the one and only Bill Parcells.

That was a great feat. I do not want anyone on these boards to ever try to compare what he did on the field from what he did off the field. The man is a LEGEND on the field and shall remain as such. I am sure that most of the posters on these boards have issues yet they dont get into the NATIONAL news cause we arent worth crap to broadcast about.

What he did off the field was a complete setup by a pimp and a girl with a fake ID to get money= extortion!!! LT fought it and won. ENOUGH about it. HE will ALWAYS be the best LB in Giants History, if not in NFL history. Get off your high horse!

LT was ranked #3 the greatest player of all time enough said

You have to respect the legend of Lawrance Taylor

FIFTY6G-MAN
12-13-2012, 11:19 PM

You have to respect the legend of Lawrance TaylorAre you agreeing with me? I thought that was what my whole post was about. I even stated "LEGEND" on the field. BTW, I even met him at Soldier Field back in 1993 in the end zone. Holy Crap was I in awe. Only 2 years in the Military and I was meeting my hero in the endzone prior to a game against the bears that we dominated.

Broadway Blue
12-13-2012, 11:20 PM
Are you agreeing with me? I thought that was what my whole post was about.

I agree with you and it was well put

FIFTY6G-MAN
12-13-2012, 11:26 PM
I agree with you and it was well putThank you very much, BTW I just looked up that game when I met him at Soldier Field it was, Sunday, September 5, 1993 and LT had 1.5 sacks against Harbaugh. We won 26-20.

Captain Chaos
12-13-2012, 11:26 PM
I have players that I like and dislike, but I still like the team!

FIFTY6G-MAN
12-13-2012, 11:31 PM
I have players that I like and dislike, but I still like the team!Sooooooooo. You dislike LT? Or you wont say? OR you wont dislike the team because some players are on it? ORRR you wont dislike a team since some players from the past have screwed up? The list will never end. Either you are a fan and suck up the good with the bad or you go route for the Cowpukes where all is just BAD and deal with it every season cause thats what they have going on in the mighty annex of TEXASSS.

myles2424
12-13-2012, 11:36 PM
im unreasonable when it comes to Gmen....
I think LT should be looked at in the same light as Ghandi,MLK,JFK,Christopher Colombus,ect......But if he played for another team, he'd be a huge P.O.S

Broadway Blue
12-13-2012, 11:42 PM
Roethlisberger is one player I dislike but I respect his play on the field

GiantRoc
12-13-2012, 11:46 PM
The personalities do affect my views on teams. Luckily I have been a Giants fan for as long as I have watched football. The Giants have always been a class organization. I have never really had to worry about bad actors. The Giants expect players to act professionally. They seem to go after men who will reflect well on the team. Few have, disappointed. Those that have were asked to leave. How they act on and off the field, affects my liking them.

LT's troubles didn't really come to light until after he was done playing. I always pull for him and wish him well. Even with all his troubles, I think he still has a good heart.

FIFTY6G-MAN
12-14-2012, 12:08 AM
The personalities do affect my views on teams. Luckily I have been a Giants fan for as long as I have watched football. The Giants have always been a class organization. I have never really had to worry about bad actors. The Giants expect players to act professionally. They seem to go after men who will reflect well on the team. Few have, disappointed. Those that have were asked to leave. How they act on and off the field, affects my liking them.

LT's troubles didn't really come to light until after he was done playing. I always pull for him and wish him well. Even with all his troubles, I think he still has a good heart.Even though I am his cheerleader, His coke problems came to light prior to retiring.

FIFTY6G-MAN
12-14-2012, 12:10 AM
im unreasonable when it comes to Gmen....
I think LT should be looked at in the same light as Ghandi,MLK,JFK,Christopher Colombus,ect......But if he played for another team, he'd be a huge P.O.SSo He did HUGE things for his sport and then was killed? You Sir are on the WRONG Track. lol

GMan-67
12-14-2012, 12:31 AM
NO

even if you were rooting for Harvard U. football there would still be some jackwagons, so you just tune that out and when a player becomes a major distraction then understand that the Giants will deal with that

BillTheGreek
12-14-2012, 12:37 AM
Once a Giant Always a Giant, ask Brandon Jacobs !

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTv7QllxJM1Yk0WxyXvshAH1ddGW-027HOZO4AUT5TTrpYJ3DXcQ

FIFTY6G-MAN
12-14-2012, 12:45 AM
Once a Giant Always a Giant, ask Brandon Jacobs !

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTv7QllxJM1Yk0WxyXvshAH1ddGW-027HOZO4AUT5TTrpYJ3DXcQI am with you and I want him back for our playoffsss!

Diamondring
12-14-2012, 01:23 AM
I'm going to say Tiki did nothing wrong when he talked about the Giants but what he did to his wife and kids is another story. Some poster who I think he is no longer here told me I did not know the situation. Well there is a better way to handle things when things get bad.

joemorrisforprez
12-14-2012, 02:13 AM

You have to respect the legend of Lawrance Taylor

I couldn't even imagine his cap hit if he played today. I consider myself very fortunate that I was able to watch his entire career.

BillTheGreek
12-14-2012, 02:25 AM
I am with you and I want him back for our playoffsss!

^^ +1

I would Love to see him back, he got along good with Eli. He knows all the plays, I know he wants to come back ! He would be a Raging Bull ! But I don't think SF will Let us have him back. Would be great if we can get him back for the Last 2 games And the Play Offs . I don't know how that works.

NYGiants1411
12-14-2012, 03:07 AM
No

I root for the New York Giants. The team. Regardless of who plays on it.

Now I'm allowed to have players i like and players i don't like, but when it comes to players changing the way i feel about a team, that will never happen.

Rat_bastich
12-14-2012, 04:33 AM
Usually the players are a reflection of the organization. Look at the Steelers and Giants. The owners are classy and for the most part the players are too. Every once in awhile you have that knucklehead, but there are stronger and more classy folks that bring that one knucklehead around. Look at teams like Cincy, the Jets and the Eagles. Complete ****wad ownership and players reflect that.

There are players I don't care too much for on the Giants, but it doesn't make me dislike the team...it just makes me a bit more critical of that specific player.

The problem with LT was that because of his ability, his cocaine use in the 80's was "overlooked". Prostitution is his most recent accusation. While I believe he has made some amends for his off the field stuff, I think he lacks good judgment. That doesn't hurt his status as an all time football great, but just as a flawed human being like the rest of us.

BlueSanta
12-14-2012, 04:50 AM
I dont look at it on a player level.

I look at it on an organizational level.

There is absolutely ZERO doubt in my mind that the Giants value character FAR more then most teams. In part the Giants do it because of their situation. New York city nightlife and the brutal media do not mix well with character issues. The organization recognizes this, even if the fans often forget it(see draft forums every year), and look for things like intelligence and character in players. So even prior to Goodel's tightening of the player conduct reigns the Giants cared about the impact of their players on the community. It is 1 of the biggest reasons I am a Giants fan.

The Cowboys(since JJ bought the team), Raiders, Bengals and a few others have always valued character less and I think it has hurt them, especially recently in the Goodell NFL.

GameTime
12-14-2012, 09:22 AM
I love the Giants team. I like most of the players and have since I have been a fan.....about 35 years.
The Giants usually employee high character people. If they have a particularly "bad egg" I am a bit embarassed as a fan if it would come up in conversation.
I

stormblue
12-14-2012, 09:59 AM
players and coaches constantly come and go .
just worship the logo.

nhpgiantsfan
12-14-2012, 10:04 AM

This. Too many people take it personal. Root for the colors, and don't get too wrapped up in the individuals.