PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Defense Settling For Pressure Instead Of The Big Sack

RoanokeFan
12-14-2012, 07:44 AM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2..._settling.html (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/12/giants_defensive_line_settling.html)

Excerpt: "Osi Umenyiora compared himself to a baseball slugger. He, and Justin Tuck and Mathias Kiwanuka and Jason Pierre-Paul.

They’re the big hitters in the Giants’ lineup, the ones who are supposed to deliver the home runs, i.e. the sacks. And their numbers are down. Through 13 games, the Giants have just 31 sacks, tied for 12th in the league, and their team leader, Pierre-Paul, has just 6½.

In Umenyiora’s view, and in keeping with his analogy, the Giants aren’t seeing enough good pitches from their opponents.

“They’re trying to walk him, and then you’re asking why he’s not hitting home runs,” Umenyiora said yesterday, as the team prepared for Sunday’s game at Atlanta. “If they pitch him the ball, he’s going to hit a home run. We’re not getting pitches. It’s really that simple.”

This is a refrain the Giants’ defensive linemen have said all season. They’ve talked about seeing max protections, and double teams, and chips and motions to neutralize the pass rush that’s long been a hallmark of their defense.

But here was something new: defensive coordinator Perry Fewell admitting that, in last week’s victory against the Saints, he didn’t put his top rushers in the best positions to sack the quarterback.

“It’s kind of the strategy that I put them in last week,” Fewell said. “Our guys are very cooperative. It took a lot for them to do what I asked them to do last week. It wasn’t the most sack-friendly game for them, but it was the way that we felt we had to win that football game.” Read more...

giantsfan420
12-14-2012, 08:30 AM
i agree with osi's sentiment. u can def notice teams are going to quicker drops and releases from the qb. and teams are using a lot of max protect that is true. still tho, teams have used max protect and 3 step drops before, and the DL still would get home. I get the analogy and it is fitting, in a way, teams arent even trying to go deep and use 7 step drops. We've also faced mobile qb after mobile qb. Ryan is really the first immobile type qb we've faced since I can remember. The Vicks, Newtons, RG3's, Romos, Rodgers, Alex Smith...we've gone up against a lot of qbs who are pretty mobile. Dalton isnt even really immobile as he would run quite a bit in college...just saying I do get where Osi and prob the erst of the DL are coming from, but still Id like less excuses and more production...but pressures are as good as sacks imo and i wonder where we rank in that regard

GameTime
12-14-2012, 09:05 AM
the picks on defense are up so the hurries are getting there just not the sacks. I will take picks over sacks for sure.....

RoanokeFan
12-14-2012, 09:06 AM
the picks on defense are up so the hurries are getting there just not the sacks. I will take picks over sacks for sure.....

+1 and on that note, I'm off for my walk :o

GameTime
12-14-2012, 09:13 AM
+1 and on that note, I'm off for my walk :o
dont break a hip..... and pick me up a coffee while ur out.

RoanokeFan
12-14-2012, 09:14 AM
dont break a hip..... and pick me up a coffee while ur out.

LOL Double mocha latte with a spritz of whatever?

GameTime
12-14-2012, 09:17 AM
LOL Double mocha latte with a spritz of whatever?

please......a little half and half and thats it. No "funny" coffee for me......

Toadofsteel
12-14-2012, 09:29 AM
PF always manages his defenses from the back end rather than the front seven...

Mercury
12-14-2012, 09:44 AM
The DL is going to be chomping at the bit to get to Matt Ryan. Finally, a QB where they know where he will be.

RoanokeFan
12-14-2012, 09:56 AM
The DL is going to be chomping at the bit to get to Matt Ryan. Finally, a QB where they know where he will be. Could be a coming out party

TheAnalyst
12-14-2012, 10:02 AM
We've also faced mobile qb after mobile qb. Ryan is really the first immobile type qb we've faced since I can remember. The Vicks, Newtons, RG3's, Romos, Rodgers, Alex Smith...we've gone up against a lot of qbs who are pretty mobile. Dalton isnt even really immobile as he would run quite a bit in college...

Yup, and now they got 3 straight games with pocket QBs in Ryan, Flacco and Foles.