PDA

View Full Version : What NFC playoff contender can actually beat the Pats in SB47?

njg85m
12-14-2012, 01:31 PM
I think it's pretty safe to say that no one in the AFC is going to stop them from getting to the big game once again except for Denver. Even so, I think that it's a safe guess at this point that the Pats will most likely be in the SB once again.

Question is, of the NFC teams that are playoff contenders who can realistically put up a fight and beat them in the Super Bowl this year?

Atlanta? I doubt it, no one is really scared of this team despite their record.
Chicago? No way.
Packers? Probably couldn't play D well enough to keep pace offensively.

The only 2 teams I can think of would be Seattle and us. We have proven that we know how to disrupt Tom and make him look average, especially in the big games.., And the way seattles D is playing this year I think they are also a great matchup.

What are your thoughts? Mind you, this is completely theoretical.

repeatchamps
12-14-2012, 01:35 PM
I think it's pretty safe to say that no one in the AFC is going to stop them from getting to the big game once again except for Denver. Even so, I think that it's a safe guess at this point that the Pats will most likely be in the SB once again.

Question is, of the NFC teams that are playoff contenders who can realistically put up a fight and beat them in the Super Bowl this year?

Chicago? No way.

The only 2 teams I can think of would be Seattle and us. We have proven that we know how to disrupt Tom and make him look average, especially in the big games.., And the way seattles D is playing this year I think they are also a great matchup.

If the 49ers found some more ways to get their playmakers the ball more consistently for a couple more big plays a game and could effectively run the ball as they do regularly, they can beat the Pats. I think the 49ers lose in Foxborough this week but in the Superdome? 49ers could beat them there in the Super Bowl imho.

NYGabriel
12-14-2012, 01:36 PM

Chicago? No way.

Ermmm..... How do you forget the 9ers?

njg85m
12-14-2012, 01:38 PM
If the 49ers found some more ways to get their playmakers the ball more consistently for a couple more big plays a game and could effectively run the ball as they do regularly, they can beat the Pats. I think the 49ers lose in Foxborough this week but in the Superdome? 49ers could beat them in the Super Bowl imho.

I forgot to mention them.
I just don't see them being able to contend. When the 49ers get the lead in a game they are as good a team as there is in the NFL, but when they have to play from behind they are as bad of a team as there is in the NFL.

njg85m
12-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Ermmm..... How do you forget the 9ers?

Just corrected.

They would have a chance in a low scoring game.

repeatchamps
12-14-2012, 01:40 PM
I forgot to mention them.
I just don't see them being able to contend. When the 49ers get the lead in a game they are as good a team as there is in the NFL, but when they have to play from behind they are as bad of a team as there is in the NFL.

They are built solidly enough to beat the Pats. It would be key for them to run the ball and control time of possesion and on defense get after Brady just as the Giants did in both Super Bowls against the Pats. They have players that are more than capable of doing this.

Rusty192
12-14-2012, 01:42 PM
The way to beat the Pats is on offense. The Texans have a killer defense that played pretty well. The 40 points dont tell the whole story.

The offense on the other hand looked like garbage. They couldn't move the ball for crap, it was really pathetic. The D eventually got tired and the Patriots ran away.

Rudyy
12-14-2012, 01:42 PM
The thing is, we are in their heads. That's why we have an advantage over any team to beat them.

njg85m
12-14-2012, 01:46 PM
They are built solidly enough to beat the Pats. It would be key for them to run the ball and control time of possesion and on defense get after Brady just as the Giants did in both Super Bowls against the Pats. They have players that are more than capable of doing this.

Agree

SuperNYGiants
12-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Hahaha, 49rers, no, even in my imagination I can't picture Colin Kapernick hoisting the Lombardi Trophy, the same sentiment goes to Seattle and Russell Wilson, they are posers.

If Green Bay gets their key players back they still are a more legitimate team just for the fact that they have Rodgers.

And of course, Giants would be in there as well.

EliDaMANning
12-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Denver has no shot to beat the Pats either .They have such an easy road to the SB.

Mercury
12-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Any team that can put pressure on the QB can rattle Brady and has a chance to win. The teams that are likely to get to the SB will probably have a good enough defense to give them a chance to win.

And then you have GB who have a chance vs. any team in a shootout. They'd have to get lucky too, because the Pat's D is better than theirs.

Personally, I hope Denver beats them in the playoffs. I'm tired of the Pats. It would be more exciting to see Manning vs. Manning.

Rusty192
12-14-2012, 01:49 PM
The thing is, we are in their heads. That's why we have an advantage over any team to beat them.If we meet the Pats again, it will be a very different game. They have a nasty run game now. And that has been our weakness this year among other things.

We'd have to score early and often and not let them get into a rhythm running the ball. It that happened, game over.

Also teams have figured out how to slow down our passing attack and have done it well. KG would have to have the gameplan of his life to be able to attack NE. They take away what you do best.

njg85m
12-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Hahaha, 49rers, no, even in my imagination I can't picture Colin Kapernick hoisting the Lombardi Trophy, the same sentiment goes to Seattle and Russell Wilson, they are posers.

I don't agree about the Seahawks. The way they are playing right now is very reminiscent of certain Giants teams that made deep runs in recent memory. I do think they match up great with the Pats.
49ers...Again, I don't see them being able to keep up with that offense. If they could keep the score low and control the clock they def have a shot though.

Rudyy
12-14-2012, 02:00 PM
If we meet the Pats again, it will be a very different game. They have a nasty run game now. And that has been our weakness this year among other things.We'd have to score early and often and not let them get into a rhythm running the ball. It that happened, game over. Also teams have figured out how to slow down our passing attack and have done it well. KG would have to have the gameplan of his life to be able to attack NE. They take away what you do best.They are a different team yes, but like you said, you HAVE to run the ball on them. We control TOP we win.

Antwuan
12-14-2012, 02:33 PM
If we meet the Pats again, it will be a very different game. They have a nasty run game now. And that has been our weakness this year among other things.

We'd have to score early and often and not let them get into a rhythm running the ball. It that happened, game over.

Also teams have figured out how to slow down our passing attack and have done it well. KG would have to have the gameplan of his life to be able to attack NE. They take away what you do best.

Do you mean different as far as the outcome or different as far as gameplanning?

Rusty192
12-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Do you mean different as far as the outcome or different as far as gameplanning?Potentially both. NE looks much better this year. Last year they couldn't run the ball. This year it is making a huge difference in their offense, and making it that much more potent.

Plus that D totally shut down a top offense in Houston. Could be the Texans having a bad day, but I dont think it will take a missed FG for NE to make it to the SB this year.

JJC7301
12-14-2012, 03:27 PM

Chicago? No way.

I think that SF could. Not Chicago -- Jay Cutler is not winning any SB's. Seattle? They're not making it to the SB.

The Giants definitely could, and so could the 'skins. I really do think that the 'skins could make it to the SB (and I do believe that they're running the table and getting into the playoffs). And don't discount that their coach is Shannahan who has 2 SB rings himself.

The Pats look really good, though.

BigBlue1971
12-14-2012, 05:44 PM
The thing is, we are in their heads. That's why we have an advantage over any team to beat them.

^ this.......

and we hold that same advantage over the 9ers and Packers! after this week the Falcons should be in that column as well!

BuffyBlueII
12-14-2012, 06:26 PM
I think that SF could. Not Chicago -- Jay Cutler is not winning any SB's. Seattle? They're not making it to the SB.

The Giants definitely could, and so could the 'skins. I really do think that the 'skins could make it to the SB (and I do believe that they're running the table and getting into the playoffs). And don't discount that their coach is Shannahan who has 2 SB rings himself.

The Pats look really good, though.

I don't see Washington Redskins even being able to compete with New England Patriots. Coach Bellichek won't be intimidated and neither will his defense by Bobby Gee 3. They would attack and attack and rattle his cage. It wouldn't even be a close game. Tom Brady may throw 8 TDs on Washington Redskins piss poor pass defense. However, I do think Washington Redskins have a good shot of making the playoffs.

I think San Francisco 49ers can give them a run for a little while but sometime early in 3rd quarter, New England Patriots would pull away. I give Seattle a better chance of beating them.

I think a good deal of our success against New England Patriots is because of how well Coach Coughlin knows Coach Bellichek.

It would be really hard for us to beat them in SuperBowl again.

giantsfan420
12-14-2012, 07:55 PM
I don't agree about the Seahawks. The way they are playing right now is very reminiscent of certain Giants teams that made deep runs in recent memory. I do think they match up great with the Pats.
49ers...Again, I don't see them being able to keep up with that offense. If they could keep the score low and control the clock they def have a shot though.how u could think seattle could keep pace with NE but SF couldnt is beyond me...honestly I would say NE wins the SB if they meet anyone besides us. TB and BB just seem to be unable to beat us for some reason. we've won the last 3 vs them, 2 sbs and 1 in THEIR house...we're in their heads like rudy said. we match up well, they know we can beat them, and they know how lethal eli is. they dont have those issues whatsover wiith any other team

giantsfan420
12-14-2012, 07:57 PM
Potentially both. NE looks much better this year. Last year they couldn't run the ball. This year it is making a huge difference in their offense, and making it that much more potent.

Plus that D totally shut down a top offense in Houston. Could be the Texans having a bad day, but I dont think it will take a missed FG for NE to make it to the SB this year.huh? NE could run the ball last yr, just as this year, they pick and choose when they want to bc Brady is money. They ran well on us in both SBs iirc...dont see their run game being able to beat us tbh. id think theyd have to approach the game the same the previous 2 sbs, run some but depend on brady to win it. and that plays right into our hands.
id be as confident in a giants win as well were it to become a shootout.

JJC7301
12-14-2012, 10:29 PM
I don't see Washington Redskins even being able to compete with New England Patriots. Coach Bellichek won't be intimidated and neither will his defense by Bobby Gee 3. They would attack and attack and rattle his cage. It wouldn't even be a close game. Tom Brady may throw 8 TDs on Washington Redskins piss poor pass defense. However, I do think Washington Redskins have a good shot of making the playoffs.

I think San Francisco 49ers can give them a run for a little while but sometime early in 3rd quarter, New England Patriots would pull away. I give Seattle a better chance of beating them.

I think a good deal of our success against New England Patriots is because of how well Coach Coughlin knows Coach Bellichek.

It would be really hard for us to beat them in SuperBowl again.
You've got to be able to be a threat to score to beat NE, even if it's not a high scoring SB. The 49ers don't have the fire power to do it. I do think the 'skins do have the scoring ability to get it done.

Rusty192
12-14-2012, 10:42 PM
huh? NE could run the ball last yr, just as this year, they pick and choose when they want to bc Brady is money. They ran well on us in both SBs iirc...dont see their run game being able to beat us tbh. id think theyd have to approach the game the same the previous 2 sbs, run some but depend on brady to win it. and that plays right into our hands.
id be as confident in a giants win as well were it to become a shootout.You think they had a back as talented as Ridley? BJGE is solid, and runs hard north and south but he is not the homerun threat that Ridley can be. he def adds a different element to that offense.

Not saying their run game sucked last year, but it looks much more dynamic this year in particular. We weren't bad against the run last year. This season it has been one of our struggles.

Flip Empty
12-14-2012, 10:47 PM
They had Ridley last year, he just wasn't the starter.

Drez
12-14-2012, 10:52 PM
The way to beat the Pats is on offense. The Texans have a killer defense that played pretty well. The 40 points dont tell the whole story.

The offense on the other hand looked like garbage. They couldn't move the ball for crap, it was really pathetic. The D eventually got tired and the Patriots ran away.
The Texans defense has played like garbage for the most part for the past 3-4 weeks.

JJC7301
12-14-2012, 10:59 PM
The Texans defense has played like garbage for the most part for the past 3-4 weeks.
Houston had just better pray that they are the # 1 seed because they will NOT beat Brady and Belicheck in NE in January. Ain't happening.

ELI_HOF_NYG
12-14-2012, 11:00 PM
the gmen baby!!!

Rusty192
12-14-2012, 11:52 PM
The Texans defense has played like garbage for the most part for the past 3-4 weeks.They forced enough three and outs to make it a game they could have won.

Houston's offense were the ones who played like garbage.

Rusty192
12-14-2012, 11:53 PM
They had Ridley last year, he just wasn't the starter.exactly. He's been tearing it up in the starter role.

BuffyBlueII
12-15-2012, 12:13 AM
You've got to be able to be a threat to score to beat NE, even if it's not a high scoring SB. The 49ers don't have the fire power to do it. I do think the 'skins do have the scoring ability to get it done.Coach Bellichek would have his defense take away short stuff and make Booby Gee 3 try to have to beat them long and that is where the problem for Washington Redskins would come in. I see New England Patriots winng that matchup y at leasg 21 points.

rtr1105
12-15-2012, 12:20 AM
We could very well see a Giants vs. 49ers NFC Championship rematch. I think the AFC Championship will be Pats vs. Texans. The Texans have the most complete team in the league, and they'll be hungry for revenge after the whoopin' they took from New England this past Monday.

BlueSanta
12-15-2012, 12:56 AM
I think the answer is pretty simple really.

If we have shown anything in our 2 superbowls vs the Pats, it is that the way you beat them is by punching them in the mouth and keep the pressure on Brady.

I think we have the capability to do that(if our passrush gets going) and the 9ers can do that. The Seahawks I also give an outside chance because they have a really solid defense.

Parademon
12-15-2012, 01:14 AM
Teams that can beat NE, should they get to the SB?

NY Giants-done it 2 times already, why not the hat trick?
GB- AR can go toe to toe with Brady & win in a shootout
SF- Their D can punch Brady in the mouth & Kap can pass or run on them.

Captain Chaos
12-15-2012, 04:31 AM
It does appear that there is no one in the AFC that will challenge the Pats again this year. Would be nice to face them again, its destiny.