PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about Wilson

sheepdip
12-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Yes I hope he consistently gets 300 total yards and 2 Tds but lets not get carried away..

I hope he does awesome but a couple of things I noticed about him.

1 he bounces it too much which I guess a lot of young Rbs due that have tons of speed. 2 Can he take the hits after 20 + carries ? 3 can consistently pick up blitzes. You know Atl will be designing packages to attack him. 4 can he catch the ball out of the back field ? 5 is he going to run back kickoffs still ? I assume not.

Heck I hope he tears up that turf indoors with no wind or any other elements and rips off a few big TDS

Cloud57
12-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Yes I hope he consistently gets 300 total yards and 2 Tds but lets not get carried away..

1 he bounces it too much which I guess a lot of young Rbs due that have tons of speed. 2 Can he take the hits after 20 + carries ? 3 can consistently pick up blitzes. You know Atl will be designing packages to attack him. 4 can he catch the ball out of the back field ? 5 is he going to run back kickoffs still ? I assume not.

Heck I hope he tears up that turf indoors with no wind or any other elements and rips off a few big TDSI'm sure Atlanta will prepare for him, but he should get over 100yrds rushing nonetheless. I think he should get more screen passes.

Jahh
12-14-2012, 02:48 PM

Heck I hope he tears up that turf indoors with no wind or any other elements and rips off a few big TDS

Had a good catch that was negated by Barden's hold last week.

I didn't think he bounced outside too much. IIRC, His first TD last week was right between the tackles. It seems most of his runs up to this point were designed outside runs.

Coughlin said he is going to still return kicks but I think it'll depend on how many kicks. He'll certainly start there I think.

BillTheGreek
12-15-2012, 01:17 AM
He is on Fire, I think he will do both, Returns & RB.........We have no choice, this is for the Playoffs.

There’s always somebody saying that Wilson can’t do it, and those people have to be ignored.

Never underestimate the GIANTS !

Captain Chaos
12-15-2012, 04:28 AM
I think they will try to use that aggressiveness and speed against the Falcons, It will be interesting to see how the kid performs!

penguinfarmer
12-15-2012, 07:16 AM
I actually hope he doesn't come close to 300 yards consistently unless it's purely on the ground [or two 100yard returns]. Last thing I want is for the defense to start allowing a lot of points, and as a result, more kickoff returns.

A lot of Giants runs for Wilson have been to the edge by design. It's been a way for Gilbride and Couglin to get him incorporated into the game very early. He's not going to polish the pro game next year let alone this year. All of that was mentioned will come in time with exception of proficient pass catching which is up in the air. Some guys have it, some guys pick it up, and for some, it's just not part of their game which does not lessen their role as a back.

fourth&forever
12-15-2012, 08:14 AM

1- Wilson hits the designed hole more often than Bradshaw imo. With Wilson's speed, he'll see more outside runs anyway. Wilson likes to turn it upfield when he can.
2- His durability remains to be seen. But no doubt that he's tough.
3- Pass protection skills are under construction. Looks like he has the desire at least (seeing him tackle the one rusher recently).
4- He's got good hands, judging from what I've seen this season and at camp. One pre-draft scout report said "Wilson may be one the best pass catching RB’s in the draft." (http://nflsfuture.com/2012/01/12/david-wilson-scouting-report/)
5- Coughlin said he'd like Wilson to do double duty. And David said he's up for it.

Can't wait.
Unleash the Rabbit !

Joe Morrison
12-15-2012, 10:42 AM

1 he bounces it too much which I guess a lot of young Rbs due that have tons of speed. Don't know what game you were watching, seemed like Wilson knew the plays and followed the lines lead.
2 Can he take the hits after 20 + carries? Like what I saw, took the ball inside, lowered his shoulder delivered the hit and kept churning, I would be more concerned if I were a D Back, that is one strong tough kid coming at you who has shown he's not going to back down.
3 can consistently pick up blitzes. If the GMEN run the ball well the blitzes will not be a problem, Gilbride will eat them alive with Play Action, didn't see any misses last week while he was in htere.
You know Atl will be designing packages to attack him. Really
4 can he catch the ball out of the back field ? Caught a beautiful wheel route that was called back on offenive call, like to see more of him out of the backfield, looks very promising.
5 is he going to run back kickoffs still ? I assume not. Word is as of right now he will still be returning kicks, if the GMEN light up the Falcons that would mean he would only be returning 1!

Heck I hope he tears up that turf indoors with no wind or any other elements and rips off a few big TDS, Agreed that would be a nice back to back start for him.
1 he bounces it too much which I guess a lot of young Rbs due that have tons of speed. Don't know what game you were watching, seemed like Wilson knew the plays and followed the lines lead.
2 Can he take the hits after 20 + carries? Like what I saw, took the ball inside, lowered his shoulder delivered the hit and kept churning, I would be more concerned if I were a D Back, that is one strong tough kid coming at you who has shown he's not going to back down.
3 can consistently pick up blitzes. If the GMEN run the ball well the blitzes will not be a problem, Gilbride will eat them alive with Play Action, didn't see any misses last week while he was in htere.
4 can he catch the ball out of the back field ? Caught a beautiful wheel route that was called back on offenive call, like to see more of him out of the backfield, looks very promising.
5 is he going to run back kickoffs still ? I assume not. Word is as of right now he will still be returning kicks, if the GMEN light up the Falcons that would mean he would only be returning 1!

Heck I hope he tears up that turf indoors with no wind or any other elements and rips off a few big TDS, Agreed that would be a nice back to back start for him.[/

BlueBlooded1979
12-15-2012, 03:36 PM

Heck I hope he tears up that turf indoors with no wind or any other elements and rips off a few big TDS, Agreed that would be a nice back to back start for him.[/

1. Yes, he has the Bradshaw dance behind the line syndrome. He needs to learn that getting 2 yards when it isn't there is ok.
2. No idea, he has never see that many hits. Being a rookie in december with a slight frame doesn't favor this position.
3. No, he is dreadful in pass pro which is normal for rookies. So much that he releases up the field and the TE is staying in to block. This offense doesn't have a lot of routes for the RB and BJ, AB1 and AB2 were all nasty in pass pro so this limits options on 3rd down.
4. Yes, but if the defense knows he isn't blocking he is easy to cover.
5. Hopefully he will only need to return one kick the entire game because we shut the Falcons out. Given his value on ST is greater than his value as a RB he should still be returning kicks.

GameTime
12-15-2012, 04:02 PM
the kid has some confidence now at RB...
I think he has a very good game this weeknd.......

joemorrisforprez
12-15-2012, 04:27 PM
1- Wilson hits the designed hole more often than Bradshaw imo. With Wilson's speed, he'll see more outside runs anyway. Wilson likes to turn it upfield when he can.
2- His durability remains to be seen. But no doubt that he's tough.
3- Pass protection skills are under construction. Looks like he has the desire at least (seeing him tackle the one rusher recently).
4- He's got good hands, judging from what I've seen this season and at camp. One pre-draft scout report said "Wilson may be one the best pass catching RB’s in the draft." (http://nflsfuture.com/2012/01/12/david-wilson-scouting-report/)
5- Coughlin said he'd like Wilson to do double duty. And David said he's up for it.

Can't wait.
Unleash the Rabbit !

Great points.

In my opinion, Gilbride needs to earn his paycheck. He's lost his safety blanket (Bradshaw).....he's working with a rookie running back that is still a work in progress with respect to certain areas, such as pass protection.

So, it's up to Gilbride to put Wilson in situations that maximize his strengths, and minimize his flaws.

I'm encouraged by the fact that Wilson's 3 rushing TDs were against defenses that were defending against the run.

Against he Browns, his 40 yarder was against a front that was stacked against the run.....there were two unblocked defenders that couldn't get their gloves on him despite being in position.

His first rushing TD v. the Saints was in a red zone situation.....he lunged for the goal line after contact.

His 2nd TD v. the Saints was when the Giants were clearly looking to run down the clock.....again, the defenders took poor angles, and Wilson flew past them. Gilbride even said that play is designed to get 8-15 yards if everything is blocked perfectly.

What has me stoked is that Wilson has the speed to turn a clean (wrap up) tackle into an arm tackle.....and he's shown the leverage and power to break arm tackles. It's really a dynamic combination for a running back to have.....it reminds me of the Great Joe Morris.

sheepdip
12-15-2012, 04:51 PM
hey just because I ask these questions doesnt mean I dont want him to be sickenly good. I think they were legitimate questions. Just because he didnt bounce every play last week doesnt mean he didnt the week before. All I am saying is I hope he stays with hynoski and stays with the play call and not be too eager to bust one out.

I think Brown is our best rb at following the holes and staying with the play. I love AB's toughness and hope Wilson becomes a great Rb for us.

I bet thou if you asked the O line which RB would they prefer in the game to block for they would say Brown. It just seems as thou our running game looks so much better with brown in there. I know AB makes different cuts sometimes and goes against the original play. oh well I like all backs as there all different.

JesseJames
12-15-2012, 05:13 PM
who runs the football for us if Wilson gets hurt returning kicks, the decision to have Wilson do double duty could end up killing this teams chances at making the playoffs if Wilson gets injured returning kicks, kind of reminds me of the Jason Sehorn scenario.....

fourth&forever
12-15-2012, 06:17 PM
who runs the football for us if Wilson gets hurt returning kicks, the decision to have Wilson do double duty could end up killing this teams chances at making the playoffs if Wilson gets injured returning kicks, kind of reminds me of the Jason Sehorn scenario.....
Giants.com depth chart says
1. Wilson
2. Lumpkin
3. Torain

Flip Empty
12-15-2012, 06:39 PM
God I don't ever want to see the Lumpkin rush attack.

TheShouldersOf
12-15-2012, 08:16 PM
hey just because I ask these questions doesnt mean I dont want him to be sickenly good. I think they were legitimate questions. Just because he didnt bounce every play last week doesnt mean he didnt the week before. All I am saying is I hope he stays with hynoski and stays with the play call and not be too eager to bust one out.

I think Brown is our best rb at following the holes and staying with the play. I love AB's toughness and hope Wilson becomes a great Rb for us.

I bet thou if you asked the O line which RB would they prefer in the game to block for they would say Brown. It just seems as thou our running game looks so much better with brown in there. I know AB makes different cuts sometimes and goes against the original play. oh well I like all backs as there all different.

i disagree, Victor has already said Wilson makes them want to block better because he can make that big play,

and i believe same with the Line, they know they can be part of that 'Big Play' i don't believe they ever thought Bradshaw or Brown could make

i'm not saying they didn't block to their ability when Bradshaw or Brown was in, just saying knowing someone has the ability to turn a 10 yard run design, into a 52 yard touchdown makes them more fired up to make that block and holes/lanes, plus if blocked correctly Wilson hit's it faster which means they don't have to hold it for as long

44#1
12-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Wilson is a good straight line runner. He's not going to put moves on somebody in a tight window. He needs running lanes as he is a 1 cut and go type back. A healthy Bradshaw is the best rb on the team.

joemorrisforprez
12-15-2012, 11:38 PM
Wilson is a good straight line runner. He's not going to put moves on somebody in a tight window. He needs running lanes as he is a 1 cut and go type back. A healthy Bradshaw is the best rb on the team.

Based on what I saw v. the Saints, I disagree.