PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Hakeem Nicks Confident Heading Into Falcons' Game

RoanokeFan
12-15-2012, 09:01 AM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/12/giants_hakeem_nicks_confident.html

Excerpt: "Giants receiver Hakeem Nicks sounded ready and confident heading into tomorrow's game at Atlanta, despite coach Tom Coughlin saying earlier in the week that the team would "slow down" Nicks in practice a little bit as he continued to deal with his knee injury.

"I feel good," Nicks said Friday. "Iím ready to play. Big game. We need it. Focus on playing team ball, and get the job done."

Nicks needed X-Rays after last week's Saints win, though he said they were negative, and also said he banged the knee that has been swelling up on and off since Week 2. Coughlin acknowledged that Nicks will never be at 100 percent this season, after managing knee and foot injuries, but the slowed-down routine seemed to help Nicks this week at least.

Nicks sat out Wednesday's practice but worked in a limited capacity Thursday and Friday." Read more...

bbdynasty
12-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Nicks is due for a big game. I think he has 7 catches, 130 yards and a TD or 2

Buddy333
12-15-2012, 09:35 AM
It would be great to see him have a monster game but he doesn't seem healthy enough. He can still be good. Can he be as good as we have seen from him? I hope so.

RoanokeFan
12-15-2012, 10:59 AM
It would be great to see him have a monster game but he doesn't seem healthy enough. He can still be good. Can he be as good as we have seen from him? I hope so.

His injuries require more rest than a weekly schedule allows. So Nicks will continue to play with a handicap through the playoffs. Still, his playing with a handicap hasn't meant he can't contribute. I would expect him to benefit from the "slow" down" practices and think he will be a force in the Falcon's game.

GameTime
12-15-2012, 01:38 PM
dont think Nicks has a big game in the number of catches or yards. But he will have a few critcle catches and will provide a distraction so that Cruz and other can get open. I really hope Bennett gets to exploit the man coverage he will see.

Rusty192
12-15-2012, 01:41 PM
Nicks is a beast even when he's hobbled and gimpy. The dudes a baller.

stormblue
12-15-2012, 08:35 PM

his stats would argue that his backups are better and he is wasting targets by being on the field.

witness last week when Hixon scored on the fade that we have wasted 20 attempts unsuccessfully to Nicks.

heathy Barden , Hixon and Randle are all better than an injured Nicks.

it has been a poor decision to play him....he could have been healed by now.......and in beast mode , ready for the playoffs.

Antwuan
12-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Nice!

Antwuan
12-15-2012, 08:37 PM

+1

gmen46
12-15-2012, 10:49 PM
his stats would argue that his backups are better and he is wasting targets by being on the field.

witness last week when Hixon scored on the fade that we have wasted 20 attempts unsuccessfully to Nicks.

heathy Barden , Hixon and Randle are all better than an injured Nicks.

it has been a poor decision to play him....he could have been healed by now.......and in beast mode , ready for the playoffs.

I think your sword just ran out of ink. Because it sure as hell isn't very sharp.

Wrong on your facts (ie, Nicks stats vs his 4 backups), and wrong on your opinion. Even playing hurt all season Nicks still scares opponents. Hixon, Barden, Randle--as much as I like how they've played this year when given opportunities--do not scare opponents.

Captain Chaos
12-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Good to hear!

stormblue
12-16-2012, 02:50 AM
I think your sword just ran out of ink. Because it sure as hell isn't very sharp.

Wrong on your facts (ie, Nicks stats vs his 4 backups), and wrong on your opinion. Even playing hurt all season Nicks still scares opponents. Hixon, Barden, Randle--as much as I like how they've played this year when given opportunities--do not scare opponents.

opinion...maybe.....but i have posted the stats before.....and you are wrong.
do your own research.
check the targets to catches ratios...check the yards per catch figures.

if the other receivers were given that many targets they would easily surpass him.

anyways its an argument that's been bantered about all year....you're gonna think like a homer....i'm not.
i'm sure you want Bradshaw starting too....because even injured , he's better than his backups.

giantsfan420
12-16-2012, 03:32 AM
dont think Nicks has a big game in the number of catches or yards. But he will have a few critcle catches and will provide a distraction so that Cruz and other can get open. I really hope Bennett gets to exploit the man coverage he will see.i dont know why we dont see a ton more seam passes to bennett up the middle. with how teams are doubling nicks and cruz on the outside, the safeties are shadowing those guys. run cruz and nicks on vertical routes to preoccupy the safeties completely, and u got MB running downfield vs a LB...and if the safety(s) cheats towards MB, then u throw it to whoevers 1v1...fairly simple concept to combat the double teams that had stimied our o at times

gmen46
12-16-2012, 05:40 AM
opinion...maybe.....but i have posted the stats before.....and you are wrong.
do your own research.
check the targets to catches ratios...check the yards per catch figures.

if the other receivers were given that many targets they would easily surpass him.

anyways its an argument that's been bantered about all year....you're gonna think like a homer....i'm not.
i'm sure you want Bradshaw starting too....because even injured , he's better than his backups.

The measure of a particular player's abilities and impact on his team--especially an elite player in his position--goes way beyond stats. I would think that any fan would know that.

In terms of stats, however, you state that stats show that Nicks' back ups have produced more than he has. Was that you being hyperbolic? Because unless that's the case, you're wrong. All 4 back up WRs COMBINED have only 190 more yards, 9 more receptions and 2 fewer TDs than Nicks by himself. Individually, they each have far less receptions, yards than does Nicks, of course. That hardly qualifies as "his back ups are better than him" this year. Not even collectively are they better.

More to the point, however, most NFL coaches and players prepare for opposing teams and their players according to their respective match ups--player vs player--and the potential damage any specific player can do to their prepared match ups. Stats seldom if ever enter into their prep. A WR like Nicks--or Fitzgerald, Johnson, White, any other #1 WR of their caliber--demand more attention from the opposition regardless of any specific stat of the moment. In that regard, stats are for kids.

If you actually believe that Barden, Randell, Jernigan, or even Hixon will draw as much attention in Falcons prep and execution this week as will both Cruz AND Nicks, then you have no clue as to the impact of certain players on any given team and how opponents prepare for them.

As for yards per catch figures---comparing a receiver with 50 receptions to a WR with 14 or even 29 receptions, and stating that a receiver with 14 catches and who has an ave per catch of 2-3 more yards is "better" than Nicks is idiotic at best.

Comparing my objection to your ridiculous assertion that Nicks has been hurting the Giants by playing through pain all year, and to your equally ridiculous assertion that his back ups have played "better" than him this year, to claiming I want Bradshaw to play today--who is incapable of running or he wouldn't have been deactivated for the game--is of course equally idiotic and simply an example of you running on the fumes of your exhausted and faulty reasoning.

As for calling me a "homer" for disagreeing with your assessment of 5 Giants receivers--all on the same team obviously-- I can only assume you don't know the meaning of the term when applied to any fan of a given team. I cannot be a "homer" if I believe one player on my team is better than another player--on my team.

Bottom line----stats can be fun to "research" and compare and contrast players to other players, but they can lure you into a trap of misunderstanding if you don't use your head to consider other elements of a player's talent, and for how a coordinator uses him. Like the very fact that when Nicks is on the field he forces opponents to cheat toward him--thus giving Cruz (or any of the back ups) a better chance of getting the ball and making a play--or he forces opponents to hesitate a fraction of a second before committing to him or to Cruz, etc. That hesitation or lean in the wrong direction for just a micro second can be the difference between an explosive play and a short gain or no gain.

Nicks--even an injured Nicks--draws that kind of attention. Hixon, Barden, Randell do not.

That doesn't show up in stats.

stormblue
12-16-2012, 08:36 AM
until you combine the stats with all the intangibles that you are ignoring you will never understand.
when Nicks is involved Eli has a tendency to throw it at him whether he is open or not.
wasted plays.
the other receivers average more yards per catch....
so if they were targeted as much as Nicks , they would obviously have more yards.
and more TD's.
Cruz...Hixon....Randle ...Barden.....ALL have higher completion ratios than Nicks @ 57%
he is dead last ,
Cruz...Hixon....Randle ...Barden.....ALL have higher yards per catch.....
do you understand what that means ?

it means that if Eli throws it to a wide receiver OTHER than Nicks....
there is a better chance of a completed pass , and more yards would be gained when completed.
AND Eli won't be tempted to throw into double coverage so damned often.....less INT's.

given the same amount of targets ....Hixon would have 145 more yards than Nicks.
i wonder what those extra yards would have meant towards crucial 1st downs .....or not losing a game by one point.

no , its not just stats....its tendencies and other stuff you choose to ignore.

and i was using Bradshaw as an example of the same foolishness.
a banged up Bradshaw was not better than Brown or Wilson.

unless you are L Fitzgerald or Megatron......or Jerry Rice...NOBODY is better than the #2 if they are injured ,
and the #2 is healthy.unless your #2 just sucks......which ours don't.
and our backups all have stats that indicate their capability.

and as far as stats go....
SCOREBOARD is a stat.
2 rings in 5 years is a stat.
4 SB victories is a stat.
Eli's 4th QTR TD's is a stat.

it all depends on how you use them.

we have capable enough backups at WR to have let Nicks heal 100%
and be ready to be a healthy BEAST during the stretch run and playoffs.

but no....we will not get SUPER-NICKS this year.

our coaching staff's decision making at it's finest.
look at what they have done to Bradshaw....poor kid will be in a wheelchair in 3 years.