PDA

View Full Version : Bennett Patterns Game After Falcons' Great

RoanokeFan
12-15-2012, 09:20 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...asXgnnEIDOBQdL (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/bennett_patterns_game_after_falcons_fLlxil90asXgnn EIDOBQdL)

Excerpt: "Every week Giants tight end Martellus Bennett watches film of the upcoming opponent, studying its defense to detect any tendencies. That’s not uncommon. What is unique is Bennett will often track down film of Tony Gonzalez to see what tidbit he can learn from the Falcons veteran tight end.

“I study him just about every week,” Bennett said yesterday. “I look to see how he gets open and some of the things he does so I can add it to my repertoire. You wonder how a guy as he gets older continues to get open. He’s just savvy and smooth in how he runs his routes.”

Bennett will get an up close and personal look at the future Hall of Famer tomorrow when the Giants face the Falcons in Atlanta.

“He changed the position,” Bennett said. “There used to be only one Tony Gonzalez, who was big and athletic and could run routes and get open. Now there’s six or seven of them. He started it and that’s what everybody started looking for because of him.”

Bennett considers himself in that group. His stats — 49 catches for 569 yards and five touchdowns — might pale in comparison to Gonzalez’s 81 receptions for 831 yards and seven scores. But Bennett’s impact on the Giants offense has been just as meaningful.

Think back to training camp when the Giants started without tight end Jake Ballard, who suffered an extensive knee injury in the Super Bowl and was eventually waived and claimed by the Patriots.

Signed as a free agent from Dallas, Bennett arrived with a reputation of unfulfilled potential. Over his four seasons with the Cowboys, he averaged 21 catches for 211.5 yards per season, playing second fiddle to Pro Bowl tight end Jason Witten. After 13 games with the Giants, Bennett has already established career highs in receptions, yards and touchdowns. He’s also a capable blocker, who doesn’t mind getting physical along the line of scrimmage.

“I don’t care if I catch 10 balls a game or I catch one,” he said. “I can contribute to the game in different ways. People look at tight ends as fantasy points. You don’t get fantasy points for blocking well.” Read more...

appodictic
12-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Without the hyper extended knee he would have een done better for a stretch of 3 games.

RoanokeFan
12-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Without the hyper extended knee he would have een done better for a stretch of 3 games.

Very true. He's not been on the injury report so I hope he's close(r) to 100%

fourth&forever
12-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Great to see the Giants getting more effort and growth out of Bennett than Dallas could.

Captain Chaos
12-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Sign of a professional!

RoanokeFan
12-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Sign of a professional!

+1 I liked what he had to say about blocking being an important part of what he does.

nhpgiantsfan
12-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Great to see the Giants getting more effort and growth out of Bennett than Dallas could.

He could've done this in Dallas, but instead they chose to throw the ball to arguably the best TE in the game. How dare they...

fourth&forever
12-15-2012, 12:24 PM
He could've done this in Dallas, but instead they chose to throw the ball to arguably the best TE in the game. How dare they...
Accounts I've read lead me to think Bennett got short shrift in Dallas. Its just my opinion, but I still think our coaches took someone else's refuse and mined it into gold.
Hey, its been done to us. (see Vishante)

GameTime
12-15-2012, 12:34 PM
stay focused big man.....thats all I ask...
If he does then he will be fine...

nhpgiantsfan
12-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Accounts I've read lead me to think Bennett got short shrift in Dallas. Its just my opinion, but I still think our coaches took someone else's refuse and mined it into gold.
Hey, its been done to us. (see Vishante)

Did you really expect them to say good things about a guy that they lost to a hated division rival?

RoanokeFan
12-15-2012, 03:13 PM
stay focused big man.....thats all I ask...
If he does then he will be fine...

I think we'll get a big game form Bennett, Wilson, Hynoski, and Cruz

GameTime
12-15-2012, 03:19 PM
I think we'll get a big game form Bennett, Wilson, Hynoski, and Cruz
anybody else???

lol

RoanokeFan
12-15-2012, 03:21 PM
anybody else???

lol

Diehl, Baas, Beatty, Snee, Skiba, Beckum...OH WAIT

GameTime
12-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Diehl, Baas, Beatty, Snee, Skiba, Beckum...OH WAIT

nice

RoanokeFan
12-15-2012, 03:25 PM
nice

:cool:

BigBlue1971
12-15-2012, 03:30 PM

the Cowboys were committed solely to Witten as an offensive weapon! if they took the time to check Bennett out they could be in the same conversation as the Patriots regarding the tight end position!

as it turns out its better for us that we got him on the cheap and also gives Eli a chance to show the boys what they missed in Marty B.

personally i think Bennett will be a starter for a few years for us.

DIPSET_ALL_DAY
12-15-2012, 06:39 PM
He could've done this in Dallas, but instead they chose to throw the ball to arguably the best TE in the game. How dare they... Their fault for drafting a good TE to play on the same side as Witten, it's the Cowboys fault.

giantsfan420
12-15-2012, 06:44 PM
god i love this kinda player. his whole FF/blocking point is pretty true imo, sometimes it seems with the fantasy football shows and stuff (FF is fun afterall), that how many points a guy scores is looked at how the guy contributed to the team when theres a ton of ways to contribute that dont earn fantasy points, such as blocking. our run game was dead last last year, its improved and is pretty respectable now, i think MB has something to do with that.
I was one of the people who wanted to get MB before FA even began lol, guy has a ton of potential that he hasnt even reached yet. hopefully we can keep him long term, bc in addition to getting it done on the field, he also seems like a great teammate

gmen46
12-15-2012, 08:47 PM
god i love this kinda player. his whole FF/blocking point is pretty true imo, sometimes it seems with the fantasy football shows and stuff (FF is fun afterall), that how many points a guy scores is looked at how the guy contributed to the team when theres a ton of ways to contribute that dont earn fantasy points, such as blocking. our run game was dead last last year, its improved and is pretty respectable now, i think MB has something to do with that.
I was one of the people who wanted to get MB before FA even began lol, guy has a ton of potential that he hasnt even reached yet. hopefully we can keep him long term, bc in addition to getting it done on the field, he also seems like a great teammate

All good points about MB. And I agree, it's no accident our run game is so much better than last season with Bennett on the field.