PDA

View Full Version : Giants Take The Cautious Approach When It Comes To The Fine Line Between Injured And

RoanokeFan
12-16-2012, 06:31 AM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...ous_appro.html (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/12/giants_take_the_cautious_appro.html)

Excerpt: "Ahmad Bradshaw lobbied all week long. Even as he missed three straight days of practice. Even as he and his sprained left knee hobbled around the Giants’ East Rutherford practice facility, looking even to the casual observer in no shape to play today at Atlanta.

“He’s already told me he’ll be ready,” offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said Thursday, with a good-natured shake of his head. “I don’t even listen.”

This is the weekly dance that takes place in team headquarters across the NFL each week, between competitive players who are desperate to be on the field each Sunday despite injury, and the coaches, medical staff and front office members who serve as their checkpoints.

In Bradshaw’s case, not even the running back’s well-established grittiness or his vow that he would play could overcome the fact his knee was simply not healthy enough to enter an NFL game today. He was ruled out on Friday, along with fellow Giants starters Kenny Phillips and Prince Amukamara, who have knee and hamstring injuries, respectively.

Elsewhere in the NFC East, the Giants’ challengers for the division crown faced similar judgments with their own key offensive weapons: Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III was determined to get back on the field after spraining the lateral cruciate ligament in his knee last week, while Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant said he’s putting off surgery on a broken finger to be part of his team’s playoffs chase.

Teams have protocols they follow to make the evaluation process as scientific as possible, even when gray areas like pain tolerance, a player’s value and a game’s significance exist. There is a fine line between “hurt” and “injured” — yes, there is a difference in locker-room lingo — and this is what teams must discern to determine who plays on Sunday.

RULED OUT

Giants coach Tom Coughlin waited until Friday to rule Bradshaw out, because of the player’s proven toughness. The sixth-year veteran has played on broken bones in both feet in past years and a deep bone bruise in his foot for most of this season.

But his knee sprain, like the neck sprain that kept Bradshaw out of a game in September, is something his will couldn’t overcome. Despite Bradshaw’s insistence to his coaches all week that he could go, Coughlin made clear early in the week the decision would be in the hands of the team’s medical staff, and they would “live by it.”

This is where players make the distinction between “hurt” and “injured.” Being “hurt” means having any range of ailments that come with playing a contact sport for a living — such as the knee contusion that safety Antrel Rolle said kept him at less than 100 percent until last week but never forced him to miss a game.

“Injured” applies to more serious conditions that can sideline a player for weeks or more. Until an injury heals or is at a point when it can’t get worse, there isn’t wiggle room.

“The player has a voice, but it’s coming from the doctors,” Coughlin said. And if the doctor says the player can’t go, “that’s all there is to it.” Read more...

Captain Chaos
12-16-2012, 06:42 AM
It will be tough to win without these pieces, I'm confident that Hosely, Wilson, and Will Hill can step in without a huge drop off!

JB456
12-16-2012, 09:12 AM
It will be tough to win without these pieces, I'm confident that Hosely, Wilson, and Will Hill can step in without a huge drop off!

I think this is where the Giants babystepping Wilson into the game has come up and bit them a little. He hasn't been given many chances to run the ball and now they are forced to give him 70% or more. Even though the general mood seems to be high on these boards, I have no idea what to expect especially with the run blocking this line produces.

miked1958
12-16-2012, 09:37 AM
The younger guys ( Wilson, Hosley, hill) will have to Grow up fast as we have no wiggle room.. In other words if this happens early in season they have time to bounce back from a few losses. Now the giants have no room for error