PDA

View Full Version : Wilson got the early hook

TroyArcher
12-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Lets hope it motivates the kid to work hard and improve. Seeing Lumpkin reminded on some of the rally bad Giant steams of the past.

I Hate T.O.
12-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Lets hope it motivates the kid to work hard and improve. Seeing Lumpkin reminded on some of the rally bad Giant steams of the past.

I think they yanked him because he cant block...but I hear ya...Lumpkin?...thought I was watching a replacement team..

Dirty Bird
12-16-2012, 07:06 PM
He's got talent. You don't break an all purpose record by coincidence. He just needs more time but more importantly experience, so don't pull him out. If I was a Giants fan I wouldn't be all too worried.

RoanokeFan
12-16-2012, 07:10 PM

I'm pretty sure I saw Wilson get knocked on his ***, literally, by a defender. Lumpkin did OK for his first real appearance.

RoanokeFan
12-16-2012, 07:11 PM
He's got talent. You don't break an all purpose record by coincidence. He just needs more time but more importantly experience, so don't pull him out. If I was a Giants fan I wouldn't be all too worried.

He clearly is the future and he will learn as time moves on. It became clear early on that the running game wasn't gong to get us a victory.

I Hate T.O.
12-16-2012, 07:11 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw Wilson get knocked on his ***, literally, by a defender. Lumpkin dis OK for his first real appearance.

Yes on a blitz pick up on one of Elis picks..

RoanokeFan
12-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Yes on a blitz pick up on one of Elis picks..

That's not something we can accept. I'm not laying the loss at his feet in any way. He's doing the best he can.

Redeyejedi
12-16-2012, 07:40 PM
Not Wilsons fault Reese reached

Cloud57
12-16-2012, 07:42 PM
He clearly is the future and he will learn as time moves on. It became clear early on that the running game wasn't gong to get us a victory.don't know about that, he'll still be a RB here but it's possible he isn't the starter.

foosball
12-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Wilson got lit up but Eli didn't get sacked. I didn't understand the benching. I thought it was beyond stupid. Wilson got us 45 yards on the first drive.

RoanokeFan
12-16-2012, 07:55 PM
don't know about that, he'll still be a RB here but it's possible he isn't the starter.

Based on one game?

bigblue58
12-16-2012, 07:59 PM

What happened to "JUST RUN FAST"?
Whats all this nonsense about him not being able to block? This coaching staff hates breakout performances. Look at Barden....the guy had the game of his life and he's been riding the bench ever since!
They'd rather have a gimpy Nicks hobbling around than use Barden in critical situations.
Bizarro world. Get the damned Jets out of that stadium....the weirdness is starting to infect the Giants coaching staff.

TheShouldersOf
12-16-2012, 08:03 PM
46 Yards 8 Carries First Quarter, 4 touches after that, 4 touches in the remaining 3 quarters, Lumpkin knows one play, the draw, and ends up with a Fumble, anyone talking about his ball security? anyone willing to bet he is Bradshaws back-up next week? and his replacement when Bradshaw gets hurt again?

Wilson may have gotten trucked on the first block, but he got there, he knew his assignments, Eli didn't get sacked with him in and he made his blocks,

remember Brown gave up the only sack in the Carolina game, and Bradshaw has missed quite a bit of blocks the last couple of games

it's inexcusable for him to be taken out of the game, he should have had over 20 carries, his potential is getting wasted with the Giants, as i believe most Running backs would

joemorrisforprez
12-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Wilson > Gilbride

joemorrisforprez
12-16-2012, 08:07 PM
46 Yards 8 Carries First Quarter, 4 touches after that, 4 touches in the remaining 3 quarters, Lumpkin knows one play, the draw, and ends up with a Fumble, anyone talking about his ball security? anyone willing to bet he is Bradshaws back-up next week? and his replacement when Bradshaw gets hurt again?

Wilson may have gotten trucked on the first block, but he got there, he knew his assignments, Eli didn't get sacked with him in and he made his blocks,

remember Brown gave up the only sack in the Carolina game, and Bradshaw has missed quite a bit of blocks the last couple of games

it's inexcusable for him to be taken out of the game, he should have had over 20 carries, his potential is getting wasted with the Giants, as i believe most Running backs would

100% Agree.....Wilson made his block....it doesn't matter how it looked.

Anyone trying to pin any blame for this debacle on Wilson is smoking crack.

Gilbride is the one responsible for the Lumpkin Bowl.

SuperNYGiants
12-16-2012, 08:36 PM
One possible reason for not putting Wilson back is that the game was out of hand, so why risk injuring him for a wasted effort?

Otherwise, I'd like to see someone get fired over this decision too. This is crunch time, not a life-lesson time.

BigBlue wins
12-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Wilson did get embarrassed, along with the rest of his team. Eli forcing throws into double and triple coverage. What in gods name are you doing!?

But those saying it wasn't Wilson's fault, you're right. Although it wasn't pretty, he made the block and Eli made a bad throw.

joemorrisforprez
12-16-2012, 08:42 PM
One possible reason for not putting Wilson back is that the game was out of hand, so why risk injuring him for a wasted effort?

Otherwise, I'd like to see someone get fired over this decision too. This is crunch time, not a life-lesson time.

The reason why Wilson was taken out of the game is because Gilbride is a stubborn idiot.

It was clear his gameplan was completely predictable..the Falcons were jumping routes left and right.

So, you'd think you'd try to lean on a running back that is a threat to score anywhere on the field......instead, you stick a guy in there that was sitting on a ****ing couch a couple weeks ago.

It completely defies logic.

dave56dj
12-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Kids an excellent back and a first round talent - but still very raw as a pass protector and once we got down they needed lumpkin for the gun and protection scschemes. I wouldnt say he was yanked as he still saw the field just wasn't in on a lot of the passing situations which were almost everything 7 minutes in.

Flip Empty
12-16-2012, 08:45 PM
Perhaps if he'd been given more than a middling 2-4 carries per game he'd have been better prepared to shoulder the load.

They barely used him all year then in this game they wanted him to be both a kick returner and an every-down back. Mindless.

YATittle1962
12-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Wilson got put on his *** on a blitz and the coaches had seen enough

he looked like a child trying to block a full grown man

not a good look

rainierjef
12-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Not Wilsons fault Reese reached thank you

foosball
12-16-2012, 09:03 PM
100% Agree.....Wilson made his block....it doesn't matter how it looked.

Anyone trying to pin any blame for this debacle on Wilson is smoking crack.

Gilbride is the one responsible for the Lumpkin Bowl.

PREACH!

foosball
12-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Wilson got put on his *** on a blitz and the coaches had seen enough

he looked like a child trying to block a full grown man

not a good look

Just stop typing. You are a fool. The kid gets us 45 yards on the first drive, and made the block on the play where you state he got "lit up". You don't bench a blue chip prospect for a bum who couldn't even make a roster in training camp. This was a blunder by the coaching staff.

Also, HE MADE THE BLOCK. I don't give a #$%^ what it looked like he picked it up. I've seen Bradshaw miss plenty of blocks and not get benched for it. This was bad coaching. David Wilson deserves props not crap from idiots like you. Shoulda had 3 points in the game because of the runs he made. Woulda beaten a goose egg.

giantsfan420
12-16-2012, 09:06 PM

it's inexcusable for him to be taken out of the game, he should have had over 20 carries, his potential is getting wasted with the Giants, as i believe most Running backs wouldfor the life of me i have no idea why we went away from the run game when tynes mimssed that fg. wilson was looking damn impressive that drive. we shoulda ran his fresh, speedy legs to the nub on like 25 carries...the run game was working, so of course we go shotgun with lumpkin smh

YATittle1962
12-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Just stop typing. You are a fool. The kid gets us 45 yards on the first drive, and made the block on the play where you state he got "lit up". You don't bench a blue chip prospect for a bum who couldn't even make a roster in training camp. This was a blunder by the coaching staff.

Also, HE MADE THE BLOCK. I don't give a #$%^ what it looked like he picked it up. I've seen Bradshaw miss plenty of blocks and not get benched for it. This was bad coaching. David Wilson deserves props not crap from idiots like you. Shoulda had 3 points in the game because of the runs he made. Woulda beaten a goose egg.

hahahaha

someone is upset that Wilson cannot block

and it's not me....I already knew

it's ok little boy .......little Davey Wilson will improve and be a fine running back one day

yr boy got blown up and asked to take a seat .......deal with it

TheEnigma
12-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Wilson would do so much better on a team that doesn't rely on RB pass protection to the degree that we do. I really hope he can get it worked out good enough for TC and Gilbride or they aren't going to utilize him that much on offense like we saw today.

myles2424
12-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Quick to take the kid out the game bcuz he F'd up a pass protection......yet the online does it regularly & our starters on D aren't worth a damn but somehow never miss any snaps

Joe Morrison
12-16-2012, 09:16 PM
I don't know why they have a problem with Wilson, he's fast, hits the hole, runs hard, those other two castaways were useless, Wilson should have ahd 20 touches today, after he didn't get his head around on that one outlet pass that was it, and the GMEN went downhill from there.

foosball
12-16-2012, 09:16 PM
hahahaha

it's ok little boy .......little Davey Wilson will improve and be a fine running back one day

You think he asked to take a seat? Please don't breed.

gabriel_1
12-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Indeed, David was doing well running the ball, to start he had 6 carries for 48 yards, he definitely got jacked up. In the first Eli throw he got killed but its was no excuse for the pick. Dave did a good job and it was an absurd keeping Lumpkin in that much time when he was get low production. They had a decent first drive, they ended up on the 33 yard line. They should've kept that game plan and forget about running freaking draws

Joe Morrison
12-16-2012, 09:18 PM
hahahaha

The GMEN got blown up today trying to play a bunch of 3rd tier castaways, time for them to stick with Wilson and he will get better every week, only thing he did wrong was miss an outlet pass, his blocking is fine, Eli was just off today.

rainierjef
12-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Wilson would do so much better on a team that doesn't rely on RB pass protection to the degree that we do. I really hope he can get it worked out good enough for TC and Gilbride or they aren't going to utilize him that much on offense like we saw today.
Wilson would do better on a team that has a primary all purpose running back say.... an arian foster or Brandon jacobs back when he was younger. Wilson is not a starting RB in the Nfl.

gabriel_1
12-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Indeed, David was doing well running the ball, to start he had 6 carries for 48 yards, he definitely got jacked up. In the first Eli throw he got killed but its was no excuse for the pick. Dave did a good job and it was an absurd keeping Lumpkin in that much time when he was get low production. They should've kept that gameplan and forget about running freaking draws.

YATittle1962
12-16-2012, 09:25 PM
his blocking is fine,

can't agree with that since right after he got blown up some cat straight off the street was in the first rounders spot for the rest of the game

kid needs work in the blocking department

it doesn't help that the O line can't block either though ....so ....

Flip Empty
12-16-2012, 09:25 PM
for the life of me i have no idea why we went away from the run game when tynes mimssed that fg. wilson was looking damn impressive that drive. we shoulda ran his fresh, speedy legs to the nub on like 25 carries...the run game was working, so of course we go shotgun with lumpkin smh
And ran him what, 3-4 times consecutively? Then they bring in Wilson to try and convert the 4th? I could not make sense of the game plan at all.

YATittle1962
12-16-2012, 09:27 PM
You think he asked to take a seat? Please don't breed.

missed the word "was" while typing fast

meant ......was asked to take a seat....

and thanks....but already have 3 full grown very successful children

one of which works for the National Football League

yup......the coaches said....Davey boy ....take a seat son

joemorrisforprez
12-16-2012, 09:28 PM

I agree.

As if David Wilson is the first NFL running back that got nailed trying to make a block.

As the tape showed, he made the block.....I suppose if he drew a holding penalty instead, it would have looked cooler for some people.

joemorrisforprez
12-16-2012, 09:29 PM
The GMEN got blown up today trying to play a bunch of 3rd tier castaways, time for them to stick with Wilson and he will get better every week, only thing he did wrong was miss an outlet pass, his blocking is fine, Eli was just off today.

Thank God, someone with some sanity.

nycsportzfan
12-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Not Wilsons fault Reese reached this is why i don't let one game get me starting threads throwing peoples opinions in there faces... Guys have monster wk's sometimes, i want to see consistency.. No one thought WIlson wasen't gonna ever have big games from time to time.. Ron Dayne and Tyrone Wheatly also did..

How about Lawernce tynes???lol Exactly why i dont trust the guy and said so in thread most were singing praise of some sort.. I just don't trust em, and think he can be upgraded...

joemorrisforprez
12-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Trust me, the media is going to rip the coaching staff an new a-hole for this ****ty gameplan.

They'll be criticizing Gilbride for abandoning Wilson in favor of Lumpkin.

YATittle1962
12-16-2012, 09:33 PM
teams are going to see on film how scared this kid is to block LBs and send late blitzes in his face constantly

the Ravens will absolutely key David Wilson as a weakness in the passing game and look to attack his side of the blocking scheme

watch

WR4Life
12-16-2012, 09:33 PM
The only mistake Wilson made when he got blown up was that he tried to block high instead of going low like most running backs would. What I don't understand is why some of you guys are making a huge deal out of him getting blown up. He made the block even if it didn't look pretty. When a running back runs over a defender but goes down in the process, the defender still gets credited with making the tackle. It isn't any different.

Joe Morrison
12-16-2012, 09:34 PM
teams are going to see on film how scared this kid is to block LBs and send late blitzes in his face constantly

the Ravens will absolutely key David Wilson as a weakness in the passing game and look to attack his side of the blocking scheme

watch

I really have no clue about his lack of blocking, he wasn't in long enough to find out if he can block!

joemorrisforprez
12-16-2012, 09:35 PM

watch

Given Gilbride's inability to maximize the strengths of the players on the team....sure, whatever you say.

YATittle1962
12-16-2012, 09:36 PM
The only mistake Wilson made when he got blown up was that he tried to block high instead of going low like most running backs would. What I don't understand is why some of you guys are making a huge deal out of him getting blown up. He made the block even if it didn't look pretty. When a running back runs over a defender but goes down in the process, the defender still gets credited with making the tackle. It isn't any different.

he was blocking timidly the whole game like he was scared of contact waiting for his assignment to come to him.....anyone who has ever played the game knows this is not how it is done

a coaching issue?..... possibly

......the Ravens will see this and exploit it

BigBlue1971
12-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Wilson along with everyone else just didnt show up today! hes not a good blocker anyway and being the "starter" he was exposed!

hes just gonna have to adapt cuz hes our only real threat at rb now and will be needed big time going forward!

gabriel_1
12-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Indeed, David was doing well running the ball, to start he had 6 carries for 48 yards, he definitely got jacked up. In the first Eli throw he got killed but its was no excuse for the pick. Dave did a good job and it was an absurd keeping Lumpkin in that much time when he was get low production. They should've kept that gameplan and forget about running freaking draws.

YATittle1962
12-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Given Gilbride's inability to maximize the strengths of the players on the team....sure, whatever you say.

watch 3rd and long next week if Wilson is in the backfield

watch the ravens exploit this kid

if they are smart the bigger back Lumpkin will be back there

joemorrisforprez
12-16-2012, 09:43 PM

Agreed 100%

I said before this game that Gilbride was going to have to do his homework. I said that he'd need to develop a gameplan that exploited Wilson's talents, and tried as best as possible not to expose his weaknesses.

Gilbride did nothing of the sort, and the result was a shutout.

Eli had a big hand in the loss. But the fact is, the Falcons had the Giants gameplan down cold.

Wilson did the best job he could given a completely stale gameplan. I'd strongly suggest that the coaching staff evaluate and modify the playbook based on who is capable of playing, and their respective talents.

When your team is shut out, it tells me the entire offense struggled....not just one player.....that's entirely on the coaching staff.

0 points = Gilbride fail.
34 points = Fewell fail.

But sure, let's blame the rookie who averaged 4.6 yards per carry. Okay.

Jahh
12-16-2012, 09:48 PM
I don't know why they have a problem with Wilson, he's fast, hits the hole, runs hard, those other two castaways were useless, Wilson should have ahd 20 touches today, after he didn't get his head around on that one outlet pass that was it, and the GMEN went downhill from there.

The pass came out way early. Eli was pressured.

TheEnigma
12-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Wilson would do better on a team that has a primary all purpose running back say.... an arian foster or Brandon jacobs back when he was younger. Wilson is not a starting RB in the Nfl.

I just don't think he's a good fit for a Gilbride scheme. It seems he would be better leaving the backfield and trying to find open space instead of protecting a QB. Why we didn't take Cordy Glenn (who is a versatile OL which the Giants love) still baffles me.

WR4Life
12-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Some of you guys have to have some faith in the kid. Give him a little time to develop and he'll be a real weapon for the offense.

Flip Empty
12-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Some of you guys have to have some faith in the kid. Give him a little time to develop and he'll be a real weapon for the offense.

Tell that to the coaches.

Buddy333
12-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Said it when they announced that Bradshaw was not playing. They would miss him and all the people calling for him to sit would be sorry. Lol. He is not even having a bad year. The only problem with Wilson is that he had to good of a game last week and people set his standards way to high.

Zaggs
12-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Don't know why, but Wilson just isn't getting a fair shake in the offense. Seems like he's ticking someone off. Alot of Bradshaw's blitz pickups aren't pretty, he just dives at their legs. If somehow Wilson gets in the blitzer's way, thats a win. Heck its more of a win than the way Diehl is playing. Diehl can't block anyone with speed and Bradshaw has fumbled a few times, yet they start any chance they get.

WR4Life
12-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Said it when they announced that Bradshaw was not playing. They would miss him and all the people calling for him to sit would be sorry. Lol. He is not even having a bad year. The only problem with Wilson is that he had to good of a game last week and people set his standards way to high.

He was playing a good game. He seemed to be running real well until he disappeared all of a sudden.

TheShouldersOf
12-16-2012, 10:34 PM
watch 3rd and long next week if Wilson is in the backfield

watch the ravens exploit this kid

if they are smart the bigger back Lumpkin will be back there

Smart to utilize Lumpkin instead of Wilson?

Ignorant statement, truly ignorant

YATittle1962
12-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Smart to utilize Lumpkin instead of Wilson?

Ignorant statement, truly ignorant

better blocker at this point in time

no way should Wilson be in the game on 3rd and long

Lumpkin or better yet Hynoski...... definitely not Wilson....not yet anyway

he is just not big enough and until his technique is sound Eli will be under pressure

Buddy333
12-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Any chance Bradshaw plays this week?

TheEnigma
12-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Put it this way: LeSean McCoy is one of the best RBs in the NFL but we wouldn't see much of him since he is atrocious at pass protection. It's just how we operate and what we put a value on.

YATittle1962
12-16-2012, 10:54 PM
Put it this way: LeSean McCoy is one of the best RBs in the NFL but we wouldn't see much of him since he is atrocious at pass protection. It's just how we operate and what we put a value on.

good point

protecting Eli is paramount

this is not a quick release offense so while plays develop and sight adjustments are made he needs protection

it would help a ton if guys like Baas and Diehl did not constantly get blown up at the point of attack

egyptian420
12-16-2012, 11:02 PM
If the entire reason he's not playing because of his lack of blocking skills, then this entire o-line needs to be benched. I'm sick of how this team looked today.

It's something about how we lose that really gets me, that feeling of panic, giving up, and complete destruction. Even when other teams are getting destroyed, it looks like they're still trying to do Something, like the Saints last week. When we get blown out, it just looks like there is NOTHING going for us, we start making mistakes everywhere and screw everything up. I just wanted that match to end the entire time, such a disgrace.

TheEnigma
12-16-2012, 11:05 PM
good point

protecting Eli is paramount

this is not a quick release offense so while plays develop and sight adjustments are made he needs protection

it would help a ton if guys like Baas and Diehl did not constantly get blown up at the point of attack

What did you think of the Wilson draft pick? Would he be better on another team/scheme? Do you think we should of addressed another position?

Zaggs
12-16-2012, 11:13 PM
better blocker at this point in time

no way should Wilson be in the game on 3rd and long

Lumpkin or better yet Hynoski...... definitely not Wilson....not yet anyway

he is just not big enough and until his technique is sound Eli will be under pressure

Wouldn't say he shouldn't be in on 3rd and long. Start him in the backfield, then motion him to the slot/receiver position. Who's going to cover him? A linebacker? Nope.

YATittle1962
12-16-2012, 11:21 PM
Wouldn't say he shouldn't be in on 3rd and long. Start him in the backfield, then motion him to the slot/receiver position. Who's going to cover him? A linebacker? Nope.

did that last week and it worked great until the play got called back for holding I believe because noone was there to protect Eli

Piddy283
12-16-2012, 11:21 PM
He clearly is the future and he will learn as time moves on. It became clear early on that the running game wasn't gong to get us a victory.

I believe both Wilson and Lumpkin averaged 5+ yards per carry in the first half. I disagree the fact that we got away from the run had anything to do with the lack of success.

YATittle1962
12-16-2012, 11:23 PM
What did you think of the Wilson draft pick? Would he be better on another team/scheme? Do you think we should of addressed another position?

I believe they should have addressed another position personally .... but I don't hate the pick....the kid is a raw talent who was never asked to be a blocker

I also believe in a scheme like the Pats or Eagles Wilson would clean house

GiantWarfare
12-16-2012, 11:31 PM
With how this season has turned out for Wilson, its becoming more and more obvious that Martin was our guy.

YATittle1962
12-16-2012, 11:33 PM
With how this season has turned out for Wilson, its becoming more and more obvious that Martin was our guy.

not sure he would have faired any differently in this offense

GiantWarfare
12-16-2012, 11:40 PM
not sure he would have faired any differently in this offense

Well he's def more NFL ready than Wilson is.

I no longer buy the idea that Wilson was always our guy, why would he be, knowing how raw of a prospect he was, especially when the back that went right before him was considered pro-ready, and was likened to Ray Rice by some?

IDK, maybe I'm wrong but it seems like Martin was our guy, TB moved up and snatched him up, so we settled on Wilson knowing that the dropoff in RB talent after him was huge.

However, I still have high hopes for Wilson. I think he can shine for us but judging by what we've seen, it aint gonna be this year...

Cloud57
12-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Well he's def more NFL ready than Wilson is. I no longer buy the idea that Wilson was always our guy, why would he be, knowing how raw of a prospect he was, especially when the back that went right before him was considered pro-ready, and was likened to Ray Rice by some?

IDK, maybe I'm wrong but it seems like Martin was our guy, TB moved up and snatched him up, so we settled on Wilson knowing that the dropoff in RB talent after him was huge.

However, I still have high hopes for Wilson. I think he can shine for us but judging by what we've seen, it aint gonna be this year...We can always draft another RB we don't have to stick with him for 8 years because we made a mistake in the draft.

I Bleed Blue 56
12-17-2012, 12:04 AM
Wilson will be better next year learn blocking etc but putting Lunpkin in and getting the bulk of the carries was flat out stupid. Hes getting screwed royally in Gilbride's sorry game planning. Really feel this kid can be special but untill we get a new OC we will see this type of offense.

ImElectric2
12-17-2012, 12:15 AM
Not Wilsons fault Reese reached

Ouch. Remains to be seen, but that's not to say I disagree, I'm just deferring to Reese due to track record until Wilson proves to be not first round worthy. Not even a full season in I think its unfair to judge any rookie. But point taken and possibly accurate,

gumby74
12-17-2012, 12:23 AM
i hated the Wilson pick. Drafting a RB int he first round is a big no no in my book.

alentown pa
12-17-2012, 12:23 AM
hahahaha

agreed...the thing with this team is..if you are going to get Eli killed back there you will not play...he is the franchise and until Wilson learns to step up and block like he has a pair of balls he will be subjected to a few select plays designed for him.

TheShouldersOf
12-17-2012, 12:56 AM
Anyone seen the success of Martin the last couple weeks? and Richardson? they got yards because they were getting the bulk of the carries, dropping off now

if protecting Eli is the only importance to this team, bench the line, and if you draft a Running Back to only be a Blocker, you have no business being called a Hall Of Fame Worthy Coaching staff, picking up a Blitz is obviously required, know the calls and blocks, knowing assignments, which Wilson did today, regardless if he got 'Blown Out' or not, he got in front of the defender and stopped him from sacking Eli, he knew his assignments, and was having success in the run game in the first quarter

they knew who Wilson was before they drafted him, they knew his Skill Set, Gilbride doesn't have the skill set to Match Wilson, instead of addressing that they blame Wilson

Running Backs have to block, but the line doesn't?

BuffyBlueII
12-17-2012, 01:10 AM
Wilson got lit up but Eli didn't get sacked. I didn't understand the benching. I thought it was beyond stupid. Wilson got us 45 yards on the first drive.

I thought it was stupid too.

egyptian420
12-17-2012, 01:21 AM
Its funny how last week there were 30+ posts hailing Wilson as the second coming....now we're talking about it being a bad pick and, we should've went for OL, we should've went for Martin....Crazy how much changes in 7 days

I don't know who's at fault in this situation, WIlson or the coaching staff, but whatever it is, this looks bad. I never expected a first round draft pick to get such little play time.

Toadofsteel
12-17-2012, 01:41 AM
Wilson is still good... it's the guy that took him out that is the problem. He didn't fail at all, it seems like TC was looking for the slightest excuse to bench him...

TheEnigma
12-17-2012, 01:44 AM
Its funny how last week there were 30+ posts hailing Wilson as the second coming....now we're talking about it being a bad pick and, we should've went for OL, we should've went for Martin....Crazy how much changes in 7 days

I don't know who's at fault in this situation, WIlson or the coaching staff, but whatever it is, this looks bad. I never expected a first round draft pick to get such little play time.

I never liked the Wilson pick (you can check the original Wilson drafted threads) because I thought there were better players at the time to choose but now I'm starting to believe that Gilbride isn't going to utilize the kid properly for us to get 100% out of his talents. I'm one of those guys that believes a player needs to go to the right team to shine. I hope I'm severely wrong about Wilson.

YATittle1962
12-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Wilson is still good... it's the guy that took him out that is the problem. He didn't fail at all, it seems like TC was looking for the slightest excuse to bench him...

watch the very first pass attempt in the game ...which I believe was the second snap....watch #22 closely ....needless to say he did not make that block

after you watch that play if you can come here with a straight face and say that was not a failure I'll eat my socks

the result was an Int. by the way

that was not the only snap in the game where he got tossed like a child and this is the reason he was taken out of the game

not a tough decision when your blitz pick up gets thrown to the ground multiple times per game

Morehead State
12-17-2012, 01:52 AM
watch the very first pass attempt in the game ...which I believe was the second snap....watch #22 closely ....needless to say he did not make that block

after you watch that play if you can come here with a straight face and say that was not a failure I'll eat my socks

the result was an Int. by the way

that was not the only snap in the game where he got tossed like a child and this is the reason he was taken out of the game

not a tough decision when your blitz pick up gets thrown to the ground multiple times per game

Then there is no coaching that can help. He DID read the pass rush and was in position to make the block. He just wasn't physical enough.

So if what you are saying is true...we have a huge problem with this kid.

YATittle1962
12-17-2012, 01:56 AM
Then there is no coaching that can help. He DID read the pass rush and was in position to make the block. He just wasn't physical enough.

So if what you are saying is true...we have a huge problem with this kid.

not everyone is a blocker.....he got blown up multiple times today ....put straight on his back

some players can rely on their weight and less technique

but smaller players need impeccable technique and need to meet their target with a forward motion

Bradshaw is a great example.....he used to get blown up....then he learned to go at his assignment and not wait for him to come to you

David Wilson will continue to get thrown to the ground if he does not execute proper blitz pickup technique that needs to be used by smaller guys

these rushers weigh a hell of a lot more than him.....it is not his fault ....he has an overwhelming responsibility

TheShouldersOf
12-17-2012, 02:43 AM
And now Bradshaw misses multiple pick ups and protections, due to injuries? then why was he still starting whilst injured? what makes sense,

it seems they set up Wilson to fail so Gilbride can say 'We give him the ball, he doesn't do anything with it' again,

what do they practice? what is the Running Back coach doing? if the Running Back being a blocker and not a Running back such a priority, why are they not developing his technique?

'We don't see what they see in practice' true, but it also seems like they don't practice anything

stormblue
12-17-2012, 03:00 AM
Eli is sacked less than anyone in the league......
and yet we blame all his failures on protection.

i'm gonna go with the fact that he hurries throws and makes poor
decisions when he's under the slightest pressure.
cool and calm in demeanor.....but panic in his execution.

GiantWarfare
12-17-2012, 03:05 AM
Eli is sacked less than anyone in the league......
and yet we blame all his failures on protection.

i'm gonna go with the fact that he hurries throws and makes poor
decisions when he's under the slightest pressure.
cool and calm in demeanor.....but panic in his execution.

well said

rainierjef
12-17-2012, 03:40 AM

I was not pleased with the Wilson pick, you can date back to threads of me claiming that either we knee buckled reached on this one or reese probably felt there was going to be a run on RB's in the 2nd round and panicked. Not to say I don't hope he pans out well for us, I would rather much be wrong than suffer a couple years of a wasted 1st rounder in Wilson.
Like Enigma said for what we do he needs polishing big time and hopefully a year learning the system will help him for next year. I personally feel he is a change of pace back, someone that will spell a workload RB very well.
It was Martin/Fleener/glenn for me in that order. well... Fleener/Martin/Glenn. yep thats it.

gmenfan0488
12-17-2012, 03:42 AM
wilson had a couple really nice runs, no clue why he got sat.

OX1
12-17-2012, 04:23 AM
he was blocking timidly the whole game like he was scared of contact waiting for his assignment to come to him.....anyone who has ever played the game knows this is not how it is done

a coaching issue?..... possibly

......the Ravens will see this and exploit it

and yet you get proven wrong every time he runs it up the gut and gets severe contact.

OX1
12-17-2012, 04:27 AM
Agreed 100%

I said before this game that Gilbride was going to have to do his homework. I said that he'd need to develop a gameplan that exploited Wilson's talents, and tried as best as possible not to expose his weaknesses.

Gilbride did nothing of the sort, and the result was a shutout.

Eli had a big hand in the loss. But the fact is, the Falcons had the Giants gameplan down cold.

Wilson did the best job he could given a completely stale gameplan. I'd strongly suggest that the coaching staff evaluate and modify the playbook based on who is capable of playing, and their respective talents.

When your team is shut out, it tells me the entire offense struggled....not just one player.....that's entirely on the coaching staff.

0 points = Gilbride fail.
34 points = Fewell fail.

But sure, let's blame the rookie who averaged 4.6 yards per carry. Okay.

Oh no, ask the experts on here. Gilbride's offense CAN NOT be defended if it is executed perfectly.
Or can it???

BlueBlooded1979
12-17-2012, 04:43 AM
I am glad some people understand that a RB has to be able to pass protect in order to have any value. This isn't the ACC, pass pro in the NFL is more important for a RB than running the ball.

If you have to alter your offense for a first round RB then he was picked 3 rounds too early.

M00KIE
12-17-2012, 05:59 AM
I dunno.. You're talking like we lost because Wilson didn't get enough carries over Lumpkin. Just isn't the case. We got beat all around from the start. On to next week.:beer:

YATittle1962
12-17-2012, 11:17 AM
and yet you get proven wrong every time he runs it up the gut and gets severe contact.

no clue what you are talking about

we are discussing blocking

joemorrisforprez
12-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Oh no, ask the experts on here. Gilbride's offense CAN NOT be defended if it is executed perfectly.
Or can it???

I guess it depends who you ask.

For example, if you ask Kevin Gilbride, he'll tell you with a straight face that he is the "best in the business".

OX1
12-17-2012, 11:29 AM
no clue what you are talking about

we are discussing blocking

You said he was scared of contact while blocking, yet he is not afraid to get
hammerred running it up the gut or on returns. His blocking technique may suck, but
fear has little to do with it from what I see.

Unless you mean he is so brainwashed already in his career, that he is deathly
afraid to make a mistake since gets pulled for not making every play perfect.
The guy will never succeed, unless he is allowed to fail some first (without turning
him into a mental basket case first).

YATittle1962
12-17-2012, 11:34 AM
You said he was scared of contact while blocking, yet he is not afraid to get
hammerred running it up the gut or on returns. His blocking technique may suck, but
fear has little to do with it from what I see.

Unless you mean he is so brainwashed already in his career, that he is deathly
afraid to make a mistake since gets pulled for not making every play perfect.
The guy will never succeed, unless he is allowed to fail some first (without turning
him into a mental basket case first).

anyone who gets thrown in their back multiple times with the potential of getting the QB injured will be taken from the game

he will learn

but down 24 - 0 is not a time for learning

....and yeah ...after getting tossed a couple times he looked timid

carrying the ball and blocking a pass rusher are two different animals........ completely

JesseJames
12-17-2012, 11:40 AM
I didn't see anybody having a good game yesterday but TC benches Wilson?, Why didn't he bench Eli for throwing those senseless INTs, my point is you can do to one and not the other, TC seems to single Wilson out to quickly. These damn coaches are destroying Wilsons confidence IMO...

OX1
12-17-2012, 12:07 PM
anyone who gets thrown in their back multiple times with the potential of getting the QB injured will be taken from the game

he will learn

but down 24 - 0 is not a time for learning

....and yeah ...after getting tossed a couple times he looked timid

carrying the ball and blocking a pass rusher are two different animals........ completely

Not true, most of our O-line would be getting benched every game, they let guys run right by.

And yeah, the time to put him in would have been all year long, so he got playing time little by little.
Not put him in on OBVIOUS rushing down, after rushing down, so he could get stuffed all year.

And for that matter, why didn't they scheme around his horrendous, Eli got killed,
every play (oh, thats right, Eli didn't get touched with Wislon in) blocking skills??
He got a huge block from Bennet on his 25 yard run. Why not bring in Hyno
and let him and Bennet pave the way. Wilson was getting 3 yards min in the first
half with NO blocking really. Maybe he gets 5 with a lot of blocking help. I'll take that
all day long over Eli throwing in to double coverage on a beat up Nicks
anywhere near "I always get a pic from Eli" Samuals.

coachbobbyfinst
12-17-2012, 12:09 PM
I didnt think Wilson got benched at all. I thought the game plan dictated that they needed to move away from the run and that meant Lumpy was going to be in there..
I tihought he looked alright to me.

YATittle1962
12-17-2012, 12:15 PM
Not true, most of our O-line would be getting benched every game, they let guys run right by.

And yeah, the time to put him in would have been all year long, so he got playing time little by little.
Not put him in on OBVIOUS rushing down, after rushing down, so he could get stuffed all year.

And for that matter, why didn't they scheme around his horrendous, Eli got killed,
every play (oh, thats right, Eli didn't get touched with Wislon in) blocking skills??
He got a huge block from Bennet on his 25 yard run. Why not bring in Hyno
and let him and Bennet pave the way. Wilson was getting 3 yards min in the first
half with NO blocking really. Maybe he gets 5 with a lot of blocking help. I'll take that
all day long over Eli throwing in to double coverage on a beat up Nicks
anywhere near "I always get a pic from Eli" Samuals.

never seen a lineman on his back

dezzzR
12-17-2012, 12:19 PM
can't agree with that since right after he got blown up some cat straight off the street was in the first rounders spot for the rest of the game

kid needs work in the blocking department

it doesn't help that the O line can't block either though ....so ....He didnt give up a sack....His upside is just too great for him to be sitting on the bench. But yes our oline has regressed once again.

YATittle1962
12-17-2012, 12:22 PM
He didnt give up a sack....His upside is just too great for him to be sitting on the bench. But yes our oline has regressed once again.

he allowed a rush that would have been a sack on the first pass attempt

I'm not saying he is not in position

the kid has been in perfect position and is doing what he is coached to do

he just gets thrown to the ground with the greatest of ease and will get Eli killed if he stays in there

D lines smell blood with a guy like that blocking

YATittle1962
12-17-2012, 12:53 PM
bottom line my brethren

in this offense it is all about Eli .....and protecting Eli

no one is really concerned with David Wilson .....RBs are a dime a dozen ....look around the league this season alone to see that this is evident
I have no idea why they took this kid in the first round when in the Coughlin era this team has fared just fine with a 2nd, 4th , two 7th round players and a 3rd rounder that they traded for

no reason to reach for this kid in the first

but anyway

how is Eli supposed to feel comfortable on passing downs with Wilson in the backfield when every time that extra rusher comes and he is Davids assignment he gets thrown on his ***

Eli makes boneheaded decisions with a crystal clean pocket.....we all know this....throw a kid who cannot block in the mix and you have a formula for failure

joemorrisforprez
12-17-2012, 01:03 PM
bottom line my brethren

no one is really concerned with David Wilson .....RBs are a dime a dozen ....look around the league this season alone to see that this is evident
I have no idea why they took this kid in the first round when in the Coughlin era this team has fared just fine with a 2nd, 4th , two 7th round players and a 3rd rounder that they traded for

but anyway

how is Eli supposed to feel comfortable on passing downs with Wilson in the backfield when every time that extra rusher comes and he is Davids assignment he gets thrown on his ***

Eli makes boneheaded decisions with a crystal clean pocket.....we all know this....throw a kid who cannot block in the mix and you have a formula for failure

I think that's part of the problem with Gilbride's system. Specifically, it's predicated on Eli hitting huge bombs to move the chains. That puts enormous pressure on the entire team.

I'd like an offense that is designed to help Eli out when he's struggling.....not bury him.

As another poster put it: Why not motion Wilson out so he becomes the hot read? Instead of having Wilson attempt to block a charging linebacker, make the linebacker have to cover Wilson in the flat.....that removes the blitz threat.

That's the type of stuff that is missing from Gilbride's stale scheme.

I saw nothing that looked to Bennett underneath.
Gilbride took the most explosive running back off the table and substituted a journeyman instead.
No play action.
No screens
The pitchout to Wilson that the Falcons couldn't handle was instead removed because of Gilbride's stubborness to stick with a pass protection scheme that was clearly struggling.
No RB chips to help Diehl out.
No quick passes to Nicks or Cruz.

The gameplan was an epic fail.

Yes, Eli struggled....and when that happens, it's up the OC to help him out. Instead, he was hung out to dry because our staff can't adjust on the fly.

Mr.TRUEBLUE
12-17-2012, 01:07 PM
Wilson looked good

Morehead State
12-17-2012, 02:58 PM
bottom line my brethren

but anyway

Then give the kid some help. He's too much of a weapon to keep off the field.

nycsportzfan
12-17-2012, 03:21 PM
I think that's part of the problem with Gilbride's system. Specifically, it's predicated on Eli hitting huge bombs to move the chains. That puts enormous pressure on the entire team.

I'd like an offense that is designed to help Eli out when he's struggling.....not bury him.

As another poster put it: Why not motion Wilson out so he becomes the hot read? Instead of having Wilson attempt to block a charging linebacker, make the linebacker have to cover Wilson in the flat.....that removes the blitz threat.

That's the type of stuff that is missing from Gilbride's stale scheme.

I saw nothing that looked to Bennett underneath.
Gilbride took the most explosive running back off the table and substituted a journeyman instead.
No play action.
No screens
The pitchout to Wilson that the Falcons couldn't handle was instead removed because of Gilbride's stubborness to stick with a pass protection scheme that was clearly struggling.
No RB chips to help Diehl out.
No quick passes to Nicks or Cruz.

The gameplan was an epic fail.

Yes, Eli struggled....and when that happens, it's up the OC to help him out. Instead, he was hung out to dry because our staff can't adjust on the fly. Wilson has to show he can catch the ball first.. Hes had about 3-5balls outta his minimal attemps smack off his hands .. Hes gotta start catching those so the coaching staff can see that hes useful in that aspect...

nycsportzfan
12-17-2012, 03:24 PM
I still wish we took Cordy Glenn once Doug Martin was snatched by Tampa a pick before ours.. I woulde've much rather seen a stout LT/RT with mamouth size and quick feet taken there, and also great value.. U can find david wilsons in rd 2and 3 for that matter.. Vick Ballard went in RD 4 or 5 for godsake.. We should of went Cordy Glenn and Dwayne Allen in RDs 1 and 2...

Morehead State
12-17-2012, 03:26 PM
I still wish we took Cordy Glenn once Doug Martin was snatched by Tampa a pick before ours.. I woulde've much rather seen a stout LT/RT with mamouth size and quick feet taken there, and also great value.. U can find david wilsons in rd 2and 3 for that matter.. Vick Ballard went in RD 4 or 5 for godsake.. We should of went Cordy Glenn and Dwayne Allen in RDs 1 and 2...
While I was very happy at the Wilson pick, it IS clear that we have a lot of needs all over the field. The O line is a good place to start. Some youth there would be nice. Our skill guys are actually very good.

nycsportzfan
12-17-2012, 03:30 PM
While I was very happy at the Wilson pick, it IS clear that we have a lot of needs all over the field. The O line is a good place to start. Some youth there would be nice. Our skill guys are actually very good. Oline and Dline are places we need to do some work this offseason and spefically drafting.. The secondary could use some work as well, but first and foremost, we gotta get JPP some help, and Will Beatty some help.. I'd like to see a complete G taken that can open up lanes up the middle, and kick out on outside runs, consistently.. A guy like Chance Warmack or Jonathan Cooper would help, and on Dline, a guy like Ez Ansah or Alex Okafor would help....

TheEnigma
12-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Oline and Dline are places we need to do some work this offseason and spefically drafting.. The secondary could use some work as well, but first and foremost, we gotta get JPP some help, and Will Beatty some help.. I'd like to see a complete G taken that can open up lanes up the middle, and kick out on outside runs, consistently.. A guy like Chance Warmack or Jonathan Cooper would help, and on Dline, a guy like Ez Ansah or Alex Okafor would help....

If I had to criticize Reese for anything, it seems that he doesn't put enough stock into the non skill positions. He drafts early round WRs too often and then expects us to find OL gems in the late rounds because we pulled it off 10 years ago with the likes of Diehl, O'Hara, and Seubert. I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted the most WRs since 2008.

Morehead State
12-17-2012, 03:48 PM
If I had to criticize Reese for anything, it seems that he doesn't put enough stock into the non skill positions. He drafts early round WRs too often and then expects us to find OL gems in the late rounds because we pulled it off 10 years ago with the likes of Diehl, O'Hara, and Seubert. I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted the most WRs since 2008.
I don't know...JPP was a great pick. And I DO think that Nicks was a great pick. Prince was a no brainer as well.
But I wouldn't be surprised if we went O line or D line in the first next year.

TheEnigma
12-17-2012, 03:55 PM
I don't know...JPP was a great pick. And I DO think that Nicks was a great pick. Prince was a no brainer as well.

The only reason I can Reese grabbing as many WRs as he does is because he isn't confident that we will keep both Nicks and Cruz. I don't know...the OL just doesn't have enough young reliable depth on it for me to be comfortable in the upcoming years. We have Beatty and...that's it! The Dline has JPP, Joseph and...that's it!

We got big time free agency coming up after this year with some of our guys. Should be very interesting.

Toadofsteel
12-17-2012, 04:01 PM

Reese looks for workout warriors... most decent-to-good O-line at the combine are only good at the bench press and that's about it. Maybe the shuttle drill too if they're really good. You don't ever really need to have an epic vert, standing jump, or 40 time as an OL. As a scout, that makes sense, but then at the draft he ends up going BPA (according to workout stats), getting a bunch of skill positions and not so much big meat...

gmenfan0488
12-17-2012, 04:07 PM
TC only gave him twelve carries and he had a few nice runs

RoanokeFan
12-17-2012, 04:24 PM
he allowed a rush that would have been a sack on the first pass attempt

I'm not saying he is not in position

the kid has been in perfect position and is doing what he is coached to do

he just gets thrown to the ground with the greatest of ease and will get Eli killed if he stays in there

D lines smell blood with a guy like that blocking

I was thinking he needed to run into the block with a better angle than wait for the defender to hit him

RoanokeFan
12-17-2012, 04:26 PM

I sure hope Oline this time around

Morehead State
12-17-2012, 05:00 PM
I sure hope Oline this time around
I would just be happy with anyone who can actually stay on the field.

FrankAE
12-17-2012, 05:19 PM
TC has something against Wilson, no other way to explain benching a guy who just broke the franchise all purpose yards for a recently signed guy no one else wanted. Anyone know if TC never wanted Wilson from the beginning because that's what it seems like

JesseJames
12-17-2012, 06:05 PM
drafting a RB in round to run behind a line that simply can't block was a dumb move IMO, but Wilson is here now so its up to the OC to find ways to get the most out of this kid but Gilbride doesn't seem as if he's up to the task...

BillTheGreek
12-17-2012, 06:06 PM
OK, Use Wilson for returns, Get good Field position ! Wilson is to small to Block ! Once in in a while use him as a RB, Come up with someone else, to do the RB position & block !

There’s always somebody saying that Giants can’t do it, and those people have to be ignored.

Never underestimate the GIANTS !

JesseJames
12-17-2012, 06:09 PM
If I had to criticize Reese for anything, it seems that he doesn't put enough stock into the non skill positions. He drafts early round WRs too often and then expects us to find OL gems in the late rounds because we pulled it off 10 years ago with the likes of Diehl, O'Hara, and Seubert. I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted the most WRs since 2008. this offseason will be just like the last few, no money to do whats needed and we settle for scrubs from other teams castoffs, its like we shop at Walmart every offseason..

TheEnigma
12-17-2012, 06:48 PM
TC has something against Wilson, no other way to explain benching a guy who just broke the franchise all purpose yards for a recently signed guy no one else wanted. Anyone know if TC never wanted Wilson from the beginning because that's what it seems like

Assuming this is the case (which I doubt TC would be like that personally), that would be a huge failure of communication between the GM and the coaching staff. If TC and the rest of the staff believe a certain player won't mesh with the team's personality or scheme, it is up to them to tell the GM that so we don't end up drafting a mismatch. If anything, Gilbride loves his scheme and offensive vision and because Wilson is struggling to adapt to what he desires, that is why we aren't seeing much of him.

TheShouldersOf
12-17-2012, 06:57 PM
If that were the case then they knew what they were getting with Wilson, they knew they were getting a speed back, a more open space outside runner, that also has tremendous power as we have seen glimpses of, who can take it inside if needed, but has the outside cut abilities and speed

knowing that why did they get him if they didn't want to utilize him and integrate him into the system, we all know the Offensive system needs altering, when the refuse to do so that is a problem

i think way too much is on Eli being bubble wrapped, protected indeed, pass protection and blocking techniques required, indeed, but that seems to be the main focus