PDA

View Full Version : Lack of HB toss, screen, and Play Action

Bigg Bluee
12-16-2012, 10:22 PM
What happened with Kevin Gilbride today? I've never once bashed the guy on this message board, I hardly ever complain. However, why did we abandon all of our strengths today? The bulk of our deep completions come off of play action. What's even more puzzling is the amount of run plays we dialed up in passing situations. They were anticipating the run (due to our incompetence) so much that a play action pass would have been a sure thing. I know some people will say PA wasn't an option because of how poorly our O-line was playing but again, Gilbride's predictable playcalling rendered them vulnerable. They knew what blitzes so send every single time. Now, I'm not even sure what to say about our use of David Wilson. Was anyone else expecting a big day from him after those first few runs, including the 9 yard toss? Well I was, and sure enough, we just stopped using him; no more tosses, screens, or even short passes to him. Just a few runs straight up to the middle (exactly what they expected). Gilbride then took this out on Wilson, thinking HE was doing something wrong, and put Lumpkin in. Lumpkin had one or 2 good runs because the ATL defense figured we had abandoned the run game and were taken off guard. This, in turn, made Gilbride think he had addressed the problem and he could now run up the middle with Lumpkin. Lumpkin then got shut down for the remainder of the game, however, Gilbride continued to force the issue. What plays should be called? We should be running a spread with Randle, Hixon, Nicks, Cruz, and Bennett(on the line of scrimmage, running routes up the seem) when we actually need yards. Not shotgun ****ing draws. We don't take advantage of the middle of the field when we pass. Once they fear the shotgun, you can then starting going into I formation and jumbo sets because the standard pass/PA will fool them.

I know this sounds like a rant, but i'm just very, very frustrated.

VBGiantsFan
12-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Our offensive line sucks. shotgun draws are used by bad lines. set up the run with the pass. how backwards is that?

Moke
12-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Out of all of those, I would have liked to see some HB tosses.

Rudyy
12-16-2012, 10:48 PM
I would have liked to see Hynoski get more touches..but that's too much to ask.

mike kennedy
12-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Gilbride has gotten 1 dimensional!

Bigg Bluee
12-16-2012, 11:12 PM
It's as if our coaches cannot understand that david wilson should be running to the sideline more often than not. He's the reggie bush, cj spiller, jamaal charles type of back. The toss is a great play for him. And yes, Hynoski is a legitimate threat whenever the ball is thrown his way. He has good hands and is shifty for a big guy. Give us Josh Mcdaniels and Manning will contend for an MVP every year.