PDA

View Full Version : Do elite qb's lose 34-0? Post honest opinions on Eli?

Pages : 1 [2]

bashful
12-24-2012, 05:54 PM
His inconsistency is the result of an inept offensive coordinator who refuses to work with Eli's strengths. With another OC Bruce Arians, Shottinhimer, etc elis would shine. Eli does not have the flexibility to call his own plays when he sees fit. His options are limited. Look at his expression when the troll calls a play Eli knows won't work. Ie the draw plays. Quit blaming him for all the Giant woes. It is a team effort and they all have given up on this coaching staff.

ny06
12-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Here's a stat line I would like to give

11-25 for 95 yards, 1 td, 2 interceptions

score 62-7 lost

Would anyone guess who the losing qb was?

gumby74
12-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Here's a stat line I would like to give

11-25 for 95 yards, 1 td, 2 interceptions

score 62-7 lost

Would anyone guess who the losing qb was?

Let's make it more realistic and take a larger universe of agmes into account. Take similar stat lines and see how many times Ben, Rivers, Romo, Rodgers, Brady, Peyton, Brees has done it. Chances are Eli has done it more than any of those guys.

gumby74
12-24-2012, 06:16 PM
His inconsistency is the result of an inept offensive coordinator who refuses to work with Eli's strengths. With another OC Bruce Arians, Shottinhimer, etc elis would shine. Eli does not have the flexibility to call his own plays when he sees fit. His options are limited. Look at his expression when the troll calls a play Eli knows won't work. Ie the draw plays. Quit blaming him for all the Giant woes. It is a team effort and they all have given up on this coaching staff.

The reason why Mark Sanchez is not a great QB is because the New York Jets have not allowed him to be one. How can a QB succeed in such a dysfunctional organisation? Sanchez had no one to throw to! When Sanchez had a good team around him, he lead them to 2 consecutive AFC title games! He even had some come behind victories. Great for a rookie! HIs first 2 years as a rookie and he's had more success than anyone. On top of that, Sanchez has had 2 o coordinators in 4 years. Both have been horrible. You can't blame him - at all. Sanchez is a good QB.

ny06
12-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Let's make it more realistic and take a larger universe of agmes into account. Take similar stat lines and see how many times Ben, Rivers, Romo, Rodgers, Brady, Peyton, Brees has done it. Chances are Eli has done it more than any of those guys.
But then you're stating the ovbious. Everyone and anyone knows that Eli is inconsistent.

Kez Simpson
12-24-2012, 06:19 PM
The reason why Mark Sanchez is not a great QB is because the New York Jets have not allowed him to be one. How can a QB succeed in such a dysfunctional organisation? Sanchez had no one to throw to! When Sanchez had a good team around him, he lead them to 2 consecutive AFC title games! He even had some come behind victories. Great for a rookie! HIs first 2 years as a rookie and he's had more success than anyone. On top of that, Sanchez has had 2 o coordinators in 4 years. Both have been horrible. You can't blame him - at all. Sanchez is a good QB.

Sanchez doesn't have any options, doesn't explain 4 ints and a fumble lost against the Titans.

Sanchez can't read a defense, can't read a blitz, can't read coverage.

gumby74
12-24-2012, 06:23 PM

Sanchez doesn't have any options, doesn't explain 4 ints and a fumble lost against the Titans.

Sanchez can't read a defense, can't read a blitz, can't read coverage.

red = sarcasm.

But compare what i wrote and what bashful wrote. Sounds very similar doesn't it?

Kez Simpson
12-24-2012, 06:25 PM
red = sarcasm.

But compare what i wrote and what bashful wrote. Sounds very similar doesn't it?

I know red=sarcasm, just wanted to point that out somethings about sanchez.

I know the other poster is making excuses for Eli's play.

bigblue58
12-24-2012, 06:34 PM
He's a confusing player cause his feast or famine playing style!
QB's now seem to use their feet to keep plays alive, even Brady & Eli won't run!
(4th & 1 with plenty of room to run & he throws incomplete to Cruz)
I also get upset @ throwing 45 yds downfield on a 3rd & 4???
Why so many INT's??? Ball security is IMPORTANT especially to an Elite qb!!!
I luv having Eli as our qb but can he adapt his game to give us better options???

You have to look at the reason Eli has been struggling, and a lot of it has to do with his lousy, aging OL never giving him time to throw, the playcalling of Killdrive and the fact that he has receivers who regularly drop the ball and hardly if ever get seperation from opposing DB's, forcing Eli to constantly have to throw into coverage.
Because if you can't call Eli Elite, then you can't call Drew Brees or Ben Roethlisberger elite either, because they have both played poorly and had bad losses to bad teams, have lousy records and have both been eliminated from the playoffs too!!

Sarcasman
12-24-2012, 06:38 PM
You have to look at the reason Eli has been struggling, and a lot of it has to do with his lousy, aging OL never giving him time to throw, the playcalling of Killdrive and the fact that he has receivers who regularly drop the ball and hardly if ever get seperation from opposing DB's, forcing Eli to constantly have to throw into coverage.
Because if you can't call Eli Elite, then you can't call Drew Brees or Ben Roethlisberger elite either, because they have both played poorly and had bad losses to bad teams, have lousy records and have both been eliminated from the playoffs too!!

DIE HERETIC DIE!

byron
12-24-2012, 06:45 PM
I got angry with Eli on one play yesterday and that was when he ran with the ball on 3rd down - I don't remember exactly when it was.

But anyway, Eli slid to avoid contact and we punted the ball away - again.

That was the moment when I realized he didn't sense the urgency. He needed to fight for that 1st down, and lead this team by example instead of just giving up on another drive.

Some one needed to take charge yesterday. How did the slide look !? ;) I hear ya Rosey

bigblue58
12-25-2012, 10:45 AM
DIE HERETIC DIE!

LOL

BuffyBlueII
12-25-2012, 10:57 AM

Chances are that there are only two other QBs in that group with as many SuperBowl wins as Eli Manning.

BuffyBlueII
12-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Technically, Eli has been fairly average for a large part of his career. One great season in 2011 and then there's the rest of his 7 seasons. 4 minutes of brilliance a game vs the rest of the 56. His good plays come in pockets and in timely situations. But fact is, he hasn't been anything to write home about more often than not. He's still a good player and you can't put a price on him being money in the 2 minute drill, but any person that wants to criticize Eli's play has more than a case.

8 straight seasons of over 3,000 yards and 20 TDs has been accomplished by only 5 other QBs beside Eli. What the heck is average about that?

Morehead State
12-25-2012, 11:04 AM
8 straight seasons of over 3,000 yards and 20 TDs has been accomplished by only 5 other QBs beside Eli. What the heck is average about that?
But right now, along with every other Giant...Eli sucks.

BTW...3000 yards and 20 TD's is a **** season.

stormblue
12-25-2012, 11:13 AM
I got angry with Eli on one play yesterday and that was when he ran with the ball on 3rd down - I don't remember exactly when it was.

But anyway, Eli slid to avoid contact and we punted the ball away - again.

That was the moment when I realized he didn't sense the urgency. He needed to fight for that 1st down, and lead this team by example instead of just giving up on another drive.

Some one needed to take charge yesterday.

that was so freakiin' girly-man i couldn't believe it.
worse part of it is that he had the room to get the 1st down and still slide....
just one more step. how can the QB not know where the yard to gain is ?

total wuss-out on that play.

GameTime
12-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Eli sucked right along with the rest of the team. No excuses, no bull****, coaches sucked too......
season over and the y can win or even compete every year. I get pissed big time during the season but now thats its over I can rest on the laurels of 2SBs in the last 6 years.....

bigblue58
12-25-2012, 07:44 PM
But right now, along with every other Giant...Eli sucks.

BTW...3000 yards and 20 TD's is a **** season.

Eli was actually very accurate against the Ravens, nobody could catch the g'damned ball. Don't know what you were looking at dude, but like the old saying goes....Eli can't catch the passes too!

Marvelousmik
12-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Eli was actually very accurate against the Ravens,!

forgot to put that in red?

Sarcasman
12-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Eli was actually very accurate against the Ravens, nobody could catch the g'damned ball. Don't know what you were looking at dude, but like the old saying goes....Eli can't catch the passes too!

I think he's looking at the entire season's results; it's tough to argue with.

Parademon
12-25-2012, 09:08 PM
3000yds/20 TDs is not worth 100 million nor the elite status. Fact of the matter is..Eli had a career yr last yr & will be hard pressed to repeat it.

People thought Simms & Warner were just being haters...nope.. just 2 SB winning QBs that had outstanding careers stating their professional opinions.

Warner is a future HOF who QBed two different teams to the SB & played in 3 of em. Simms, IMO is up there with Eli as the 2 greatest QBs in Giants history.

In this pass happy era of the NFL that Eli plays in & with rules heavily favoring the QB & WRs, something Simms never had, it's totally assinine for some people to spout that Eli's passing stats are better than Simm's. Cours they are, NFL was a run oriented league back then & the G-men were a ground game heavy O that ran the ball to win the TOP & depended on their D to keep the score low & come up with TOs for the O to capitalize on.

That's why the 86' & 90" teams will always be the best Giants teams in history. They were 14-2 & 13-3 those yrs & totally rated to be called the best team in football in 86' & 90", something very few called the Giants in 07' & last yr. due to their poor regular season records. I know full well that winning the SB is the be all & end all, not debating that, but we can't get mad that the media, players & fan bases of other NFL teams just call us "lucky" & "got hot at the right time", & not that we were the best team in the NFL the last 2 times we have won it. Truth betold, NE & GB were the 2 best teams in the NFL with regular season records of 16-0 & 15-1. We were just fortunate enough to be the " hot" team when we met them in the post season.

Had we played NE 10 times in 07, they win 7, last yr they were not as good as in 07, so I say we split 50-50 with em.

The Giants are just too inconsistant yr in, yr out & that's why we are ridiculed as being the 'Worst" team to ever win a SB last yr thanks to our 9-7 regular season record. We actually had a way better record of 12-4 when we went to the SB in 2000, just our luck we ran into the greatest D since the 85 Bears that yr in Baltimore.

No matter if they won or lost in the playoffs, no one ever called the Pats or Colts weak or soft cuz they were always winning 12+ games just about every yr & in the playoffs. Heck, a rookie led Colts team this yr has more wins than we do & made the playoffs! That's embarassing for me as a long time Giants fan to see happen.

Buddy333
12-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Lol. Stats. The league is changing. His stats are not that great for $100 million. Then again he has two rings. Just saying, there are only a few non mobile QB's left in this league. The problem with giving him so much money is that they can't spend the money in other areas like the OL which would be nice for a QB that is not mobile.

Morehead State
12-25-2012, 09:35 PM
I saw a lot of passes behind receivers into coverage.

chasjay
12-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Everyone but Weatherford should have had to walk back from Baltimore - including the coaches - well, maybe Canty deserved a ride.

Parademon
12-25-2012, 09:54 PM
I can remember a Brady led Patriots team getting stomped 3x in his career, an opening day 38-0 loss to Buffalo in 01, a playoff loss to Denver a few yrs back & a MNF Game vs NO in 09' but back to back booty whoopings like Eli has had the last 2 weeks, never. Let's not forget the beating the Bengals laids on em a few weeks back. Brady has never been beaten by 17+ 3 times in one yr. Does that answer the question as to Eli's elite status?

DarkSaint
12-25-2012, 10:05 PM
^^With that said, Eli also has 2 SB wins in the last 5 years to Brady's 0. And he beat Brady twice, does that answr your question about Brady's and Eli's eliteness?

Parademon
12-25-2012, 10:12 PM
^^With that said, Eli also has 2 SB wins in the last 5 years to Brady's 0. And he beat Brady twice, does that answr your question about Brady's and Eli's eliteness?

2 games, albiet they were the SB, I'm talking about a career's worth of games, yr in, yr out, Brady has put up supreme numbers, last yr was Eli's best yr ever. Once again, Brady is in the top 3 for MVP, Eli? Waaaaaaaaay back in week 8 he was, what's happened since then. 4 games this yr w/o a single TD pass, Brady is working on breaking Bree's record which he just set this yr.

Plain & simple, Eli is a very good QB, but he is not a top 5 QB in the NFL. Top 10, for sure.

DarkSaint
12-25-2012, 10:17 PM
You put anyone in our system behind this oline and they will struggle, and that includes Brady. When was the last time anyone saw a giants wide receiver wide open streaking down the sidelines? Eli has to constantly force throws into tight windows with no pass protection. The 2 times we seen Brady under these situations he was outplayed by Eli. Trust me if the OC and his crappy system is kicked off our team, Eli will throw 35tds a year at the very least.

Parademon
12-25-2012, 10:23 PM
You put anyone in our system behind this oline and they will struggle, and that includes Brady. When was the last time anyone saw a giants wide receiver wide open streaking down the sidelines? Eli has to constantly force throws into tight windows with no pass protection. The 2 times we seen Brady under these situations he was outplayed by Eli. Trust me if the OC and his crappy system is kicked off our team, Eli will throw 35tds a year at the very least.

Hope your right.

Morehead State
12-26-2012, 12:45 AM
Eli is 0-3 vs. rex Grossman.
Does that answer your question about Rex vs. Eli?

Oh wait........You mean that QB's don't face off against each other man on man in the center of the field? You mean that OTHER PLAYERS are involved as well?
Your argument is so silly it defies logic 420.

Jtuck
12-26-2012, 01:45 AM
3000yds/20 TDs is not worth 100 million nor the elite status. Fact of the matter is..Eli had a career yr last yr & will be hard pressed to repeat it.

People thought Simms & Warner were just being haters...nope.. just 2 SB winning QBs that had outstanding careers stating their professional opinions.

Warner is a future HOF who QBed two different teams to the SB & played in 3 of em. Simms, IMO is up there with Eli as the 2 greatest QBs in Giants history.

In this pass happy era of the NFL that Eli plays in & with rules heavily favoring the QB & WRs, something Simms never had, it's totally assinine for some people to spout that Eli's passing stats are better than Simm's. Cours they are, NFL was a run oriented league back then & the G-men were a ground game heavy O that ran the ball to win the TOP & depended on their D to keep the score low & come up with TOs for the O to capitalize on.

That's why the 86' & 90" teams will always be the best Giants teams in history. They were 14-2 & 13-3 those yrs & totally rated to be called the best team in football in 86' & 90", something very few called the Giants in 07' & last yr. due to their poor regular season records. I know full well that winning the SB is the be all & end all, not debating that, but we can't get mad that the media, players & fan bases of other NFL teams just call us "lucky" & "got hot at the right time", & not that we were the best team in the NFL the last 2 times we have won it. Truth betold, NE & GB were the 2 best teams in the NFL with regular season records of 16-0 & 15-1. We were just fortunate enough to be the " hot" team when we met them in the post season.

Had we played NE 10 times in 07, they win 7, last yr they were not as good as in 07, so I say we split 50-50 with em.

The Giants are just too inconsistant yr in, yr out & that's why we are ridiculed as being the 'Worst" team to ever win a SB last yr thanks to our 9-7 regular season record. We actually had a way better record of 12-4 when we went to the SB in 2000, just our luck we ran into the greatest D since the 85 Bears that yr in Baltimore.

No matter if they won or lost in the playoffs, no one ever called the Pats or Colts weak or soft cuz they were always winning 12+ games just about every yr & in the playoffs. Heck, a rookie led Colts team this yr has more wins than we do & made the playoffs! That's embarassing for me as a long time Giants fan to see happen.

Well said!!!!!

Harooni
12-26-2012, 02:49 AM

No matter if they won or lost in the playoffs, no one ever called the Pats or Colts weak or soft cuz they were always winning 12+ games just about every yr & in the playoffs. Heck, a rookie led Colts team this yr has more wins than we do & made the playoffs! That's embarassing for me as a long time Giants fan to see happen. post of the year ,bravo

stormblue
12-26-2012, 09:07 AM

what he said ^^^

Kez Simpson
12-26-2012, 09:40 AM
I refuse to believe Eli goes from playing lights out last year all the way through the playoff and superbowl to "this" performance he has portrayed this current season. Their are several contributing factors.

I think the factors that affected the way Eli played this year are:

1. Unhealthy Nicks
2. Cruz being his only reliable option
3. Other Receivers unable to beat man coverage
4. O-Line protection (Sacks numbers don't tell story)
5. Eli trying to force things because of crappy O-line protection (Sometimes on his own)
6. League adjusting to option route offense
7. Gilbride using the same scheme despite all this

Eli will never be a stat happy QB regardless of this, while Rodgers and Brady are throwing the ball in the redzone we are running it. That is the fact of the matter. Andre Brown has 8 rushing Tds this season, because we run in the redzone, we always have.

Lets look at Greenbay for example. When Greg Jennings went down, James Jones steps up and now is second in the league in receiving TDs. Nelson injured? So what, they got Cobb. We just don't have the talent oozing from the receiving position like the Pack.

Morehead State
12-26-2012, 09:41 AM
what he said ^^^
Add me to the list who completely agrees with this post.

I will add that the two SB wins in 07 and 11 were highly enjoyable though. We won them fair and square given the league today. The reality is that in today's NFL, often the most dominant team doesn't win.

rebelfan1966
12-26-2012, 09:41 AM
The entire team chemistry has been in a disarray this year. Injuries and Hurricane Sandy certainly did not help...... I look for the Giant to re-tool over the off season and come back out hungry next season. I think they have given up on this season.

Morehead State
12-26-2012, 09:45 AM
I refuse to believe Eli goes from playing lights out last year all the way through the playoff and superbowl to "this" performance he has portrayed this current season. Their are several contributing factors.

I think the factors that affected the way Eli played this year are:

1. Unhealthy Nicks
2. Cruz being his only reliable option
3. Other Receivers unable to beat man coverage
4. O-Line protection (Sacks numbers don't tell story)
5. Eli trying to force things because of crappy O-line protection (Sometimes on his own)
6. League adjusting to option route offense
7. Gilbride using the same scheme despite all this

Eli will never be a stat happy QB regardless of this, while Rodgers and Brady are throwing the ball in the redzone we are running it. That is the fact of the matter. Andre Brown has 8 rushing Tds this season, because we run in the redzone, we always have.

Lets look at Greenbay for example. When Greg Jennings went down, James Jones steps up and now is second in the league in receiving TDs. Nelson injured? So what, they got Cobb. We just don't have the talent oozing from the receiving position like the Pack.

The difference is between his ears. When his confidence is shaken he reverts to "panicky Eli".
As your post suggests...he needs near perfect conditions to succeed.

As you said...he needs.....

1. A healthy Nicks
2. More than one healthy option at the WR position
3.WR's who beat man coverage
4.Great protection
5.Not to force things
6.Option routes to fool secondaries
7.A scheme that tricks opposing defenses

As you say...Eli can't function unless these things all happen.

rebelfan1966
12-26-2012, 09:49 AM
As far as the Eli verses Phil debate.... It's true the rules have changed to protect the QB and WRs in the league...... However, Eli has surpassed Simms already and still has half a career left to play. I think that says something...... just my opinion.

As for this year, see my post above. The chemistry of the team has been out of sink all year long mostly due to injuries at key positions. Hurrican Sandy seemed to put the whole team in a funk for a couple of weeks on top of that. I think the entire team have given up and are just on auto-pilot to finish the season and hope for better luck next year.

As fro Warner, I used to like the guy as a QB..... no doubt he was good when he had time in the pocket. However, when he got pressured, he was not any better than any other QB in the league. Still, I liked his bag boy to NFL QB story and thought a lot of him..... even with my wife going on and on about how good looking he was. Now that he is a talking head on TV.... my level of respect for him has dropped off significantly.

Kez Simpson
12-26-2012, 09:51 AM
The difference is between his ears. When his confidence is shaken he reverts to "panicky Eli".
As your post suggests...he needs near perfect conditions to succeed.

As you said...he needs.....

1. A healthy Nicks
2. More than one healthy option at the WR position
3.WR's who beat man coverage
4.Great protection
5.Not to force things
6.Option routes to fool secondaries
7.A scheme that tricks opposing defenses

As you say...Eli can't function unless these things all happen.

These are factors that contribute to him playing poorly. I believe he is still functioning, just not at the level he was last year because of those factors.

Why do you believe these are near perfect conditions?

Morehead State
12-26-2012, 10:23 AM
These are factors that contribute to him playing poorly. I believe he is still functioning, just not at the level he was last year because of those factors.

Why do you believe these are near perfect conditions?
Oh lets see.
Plenty of time to throw, wide open, healthy WR's, a great scheme that fools the defenses........

I would say that these things are pretty ideal.

Now in the REAL NFL..you have defenses that prepare for opposing offenses, the need for QB's to throw into small windows to make plays, the need for a QB to create time in the pocket, and EVERY team is banged up.

Lets deal with the real world...shall we?

Kez Simpson
12-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Oh lets see.
Plenty of time to throw, wide open, healthy WR's, a great scheme that fools the defenses........

I would say that these things are pretty ideal.

Now in the REAL NFL..you have defenses that prepare for opposing offenses, the need for QB's to throw into small windows to make plays, the need for a QB to create time in the pocket, and EVERY team is banged up.

Lets deal with the real world...shall we?

Well, lets see Mr facetious.

These option routes that our current QB did not design are the reason, and they don't work behind this putrid OL. Yes, defense are well prepared for our offense it seems this season, and that is very evident given our record. Eli does well at creating time in the pocket, but he can't do that if as soon as he snaps the DL is pushing the OL in his face. We don't have receivers that get wide open (like other offenses) because our scheme needs these "perfect" conditions as you say.

This all coming from YOU, someone who says Phil Simms who was horrendous early in his career, benched in favored of two other QBs, never threw more than 22 TDs is better then our current number 10.

Eli is having an off year and will probably throw more than 22 Tds.

Classic Eli hater.

The real world you said.

GameTime
12-26-2012, 10:46 AM
ho... hum.....

Morehead State
12-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Well, lets see Mr facetious.

These option routes that our current QB did not design are the reason, and they don't work behind this putrid OL. Yes, defense are well prepared for our offense it seems this season, and that is very evident given our record. Eli does well at creating time in the pocket, but he can't do that if as soon as he snaps the DL is pushing the OL in his face. We don't have receivers that get wide open (like other offenses) because our scheme needs these "perfect" conditions as you say.

This all coming from YOU, someone who says Phil Simms who was horrendous early in his career, benched in favored of two other QBs, never threw more than 22 TDs is better then our current number 10.

Eli is having an off year and will probably throw more than 22 Tds.

Classic Eli hater.

The real world you said.

So your answer is to attack me.

I win.

Kez Simpson
12-26-2012, 10:55 AM
So your answer is to attack me.

I win.

You are not a big fan of number 10 as you posted many times, so of course he needs "Perfect" conditions to function.

Sure, you win.

Morehead State
12-26-2012, 11:00 AM
You are not a big fan of number 10 as you posted many times, so of course he needs "Perfect" conditions to function.

Sure, you win.
Why can't these conversations stay about football? Why do you morons (and that's what you are in this case...I'm sorry) have to make it personal?

And I'm a huge fan of # 10 because he's the QB of my team.

Kez Simpson
12-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Why can't these conversations stay about football? Why do you morons (and that's what you are in this case...I'm sorry) have to make it personal?

And I'm a huge fan of # 10 because he's the QB of my team.

Why? You always come off as a facetious A-hole.

Its nothing personal, just your history criticizing Eli speaks for itself. Heck you just said he needs perfect conditions to function, I didn't, and of course I disagree with that evaluation.

Morehead State
12-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Why? You always come off as a facetious A-hole.

Its nothing personal, just your history criticizing Eli speaks for itself. Heck you just said he needs perfect conditions to function, I didn't, and of course I disagree with that evaluation.
My history regarding Eli is based on what I see on the field. I have nothing against Eli at all. I just accept him for what he is.
My problem has never been with Eli. Its been with a few posters who see him through this silly prism as if he's some kind of all time great, and treat a view that's different as some kind of act of blasphemy.
He's a good player...one of the best QB's we've ever had. To me that's a compliment to Eli.

Roosevelt
12-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Omg your kidding right? It was like 27-7? So he should have taken a hit to get what another yard?

Absolutely. It's called heart.

And it's one of the differences between Phil Simms and Eli Manning. Phil would have ran for the 1st down, while the 1st down wasn't important enough for Eli to get hit.

Enjoy watching all the other teams this post season.

Kez Simpson
12-26-2012, 11:16 AM
My history regarding Eli is based on what I see on the field. I have nothing against Eli at all. I just accept him for what he is.
My problem has never been with Eli. Its been with a few posters who see him through this silly prism as if he's some kind of all time great, and treat a view that's different as some kind of act of blasphemy.
He's a good player...one of the best QB's we've ever had. To me that's a compliment to Eli.

I retract my statements then, seems I had you wrong on him.

Roosevelt
12-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Are you that short sighted that you have forgotten the time Eli took us back in the playoff game against the Cowboys on their way to the first Super Bowl win? Oh, and by the way the Cowboys lost yesterday too!

Yes I remember RW's pick in the end zone well to seal the game.

The Cowboys lost but to his credit, the QB did not give up.

Kez Simpson

And it's one of the differences between Phil Simms and Eli Manning. Phil would have ran for the 1st down, while the 1st down wasn't important enough for Eli to get hit.

I'm not going to enjoy it. :(

rebelfan1966
Funny thing about Eli "Bashers" and "Homers" .......... They each blame one another for their defense, or lack thereof, of Eli. It was frustrating to read a few years ago, now I have just learned to laugh at the whole thing as it replays itself year after year..... lol

Example:

Bashers Say - Eli stinks, I would not have to post this over and over again if not for all you Homers and Cultist out there defending him.

Homers Say - Eli does not stink, I would not have to defend him over and over again if not for all of you Eli Bashers out there.

Its a comical cycle......

GameTime

Eli has heart and passions and deisre to win. No way can you take that away from him. Phil Simms had those qualities too.
It was **** game all around and it 0 to do with that play individually. Maybe yuo didnt see Eli get hit the other 15 times prior to that run. Maybe he was just sick of gettin hit...
The Giants cant and wont be in the psot season every year....you know that....

Rudyy
12-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Absolutely. It's called heart.And it's one of the differences between Phil Simms and Eli Manning. Phil would have ran for the 1st down, while the 1st down wasn't important enough for Eli to get hit.Enjoy watching all the other teams this post season.Eh, I don't think it's fair to judge his heart from him deciding to take a slide. Especially since he's not "athletically gifted" and a "running statue".

Buddy333
12-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Eli has heart and passions and deisre to win. No way can you take that away from him. Phil Simms had those qualities too.It was **** game all around and it 0 to do with that play individually. Maybe yuo didnt see Eli get hit the other 15 times prior to that run. Maybe he was just sick of gettin hit...The Giants cant and wont be in the psot season every year....you know that....Every year no. Is it to much to ask for going the next year after you win the Super Bowl?

Roosevelt
12-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Yea but he has great stats when it doesn't count. Where has the sanity gone on this board?

No one mentioned anything about his stats. I mentioned his will to not give up vs Eli's last Sunday.

Eli, like the rest of our team,did not want it bad enough.

rebelfan1966
12-26-2012, 11:24 AM
I think if you ask anyone on the team, or who has ever played football with Eli, he is very competitive. He wants to win..... so I don't think its fair to say he lacks heart.... I just think the entire team chemistry broke down this season for various reasons.

With that said, I think they will bounce back next season.

GameTime
12-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Every year no. Is it to much to ask for going the next year after you win the Super Bowl?
Hell no its not too much to ask...... I was pissed most of this season because I want them to be in the post season but the big picture is just that.
They have given us two SBs in 5 years.....not bad I would say

Roosevelt
12-26-2012, 11:26 AM
How did the slide look !? ;) I hear ya Rosey

lol. He didn't fumble, so some they see that as a successful play!

stormblue
12-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Funny thing about Eli "Bashers" and "Homers" .......... They each blame one another for their defense, or lack thereof, of Eli. It was frustrating to read a few years ago, now I have just learned to laugh at the whole thing as it replays itself year after year..... lol

Example:

Bashers Say - Eli stinks, I would not have to post this over and over again if not for all you Homers and Cultist out there defending him.

Homers Say - Eli does not stink, I would not have to defend him over and over again if not for all of you Eli Bashers out there.

Its a comical cycle......

yes , but obviously , only one side is actually correct !!

NYGabriel
12-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Eli is not elite but can be a very good QB on any given Sunday. Sadly this year he collapsed midway through the season.

Roosevelt
12-26-2012, 11:33 AM

Good post.

Buddy333
12-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Hell no its not too much to ask...... I was pissed most of this season because I want them to be in the post season but the big picture is just that.They have given us two SBs in 5 years.....not bad I would sayNo it's not bad, but to go from one extreme to the other is just strange.

Roosevelt
12-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Eli is having an off year

Is this truly an off year for Eli?

I think it's fair to argue that he's had many more seasons like this one, while 2011 was more of an aberration.

Roosevelt
12-26-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm not going to enjoy it. :(

Either am I.

Roosevelt
12-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Eli has heart and passions and deisre to win. No way can you take that away from him. Phil Simms had those qualities too.
It was **** game all around and it 0 to do with that play individually. Maybe yuo didnt see Eli get hit the other 15 times prior to that run. Maybe he was just sick of gettin hit...
The Giants cant and wont be in the psot season every year....you know that....

As a relatively older Giants fan, it's easy to compare players and the situations we find our team in.

But remember as John Madden said, there probably wasn't a QB with more heart in the league than Phil Simms. And of course at that time we are talking about guys like Montana, Elway, and Marino.

So while yes Eli has heart, he doesn't compare to Simms. Simms would not given up there. Simms would have put a shoulder down and tried to get that first no matter who those defenders were.

That's what I was hoping to see from my QB. And then I would have expected nothing less than to see the rest of the team to rally behind that effort.

Is that crazy or too much to ask for? Well, obviously for the 2012 Giants team it was.

Roosevelt
12-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Eh, I don't think it's fair to judge his heart from him deciding to take a slide. Especially since he's not "athletically gifted" and a "running statue".

Why? We saw Eli take on some defenders earlier this year.

But the difference is, this game was a MUST WIN.

You gotta do whatever you can to keep the dream alive.

Rudyy
12-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Why? We saw Eli take on some defenders earlier this year.But the difference is, this game was a MUST WIN.You gotta do whatever you can to keep the dream alive.Yeah it was a must win and yet nobody showed up, not Eli, not the receivers, or the defense. However, a lousy first down wasn't going to suddenly put points on the board unfortunately.

fansince69
12-26-2012, 12:23 PM
I have no idea if anything like this is posted but I am not reading 11 pages....Joe Montana arguably the greatest QB ever was beat by us IN THE PLAYOFFS 49-3....it does happen folks

gumby74
12-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Is this truly an off year for Eli?

I think it's fair to argue that he's had many more seasons like this one, while 2011 was more of an aberration.

my point exactly. We were all hoping that 2011 woudl be the norm for Eli and got our hopes waaaay up. As a huge Eli skeptic, even I got my hopes up. That's why we are all seriously disappointed now. We may or may not see 2011 again, but as of now, it was a fluke year for Eli. Eli still has his career ahead of him though.

If anything this year has given us the opportunity to get off the Cruz, JPP, and Eli Koolaid. While good/great players in their own right, they may not be as great as we thought they were.

Kez Simpson
12-26-2012, 12:39 PM
my point exactly. We were all hoping that 2011 woudl be the norm for Eli and got our hopes waaaay up. As a huge Eli skeptic, even I got my hopes up. That's why we are all seriously disappointed now. We may or may not see 2011 again, but as of now, it was a fluke year for Eli. Eli still has his career ahead of him though.

If anything this year has given us the opportunity to get off the Cruz, JPP, and Eli Koolaid. While good/great players in their own right, they may not be as great as we thought they were.

What he did in the playoffs last year was a fluke?

gumby74
12-26-2012, 12:41 PM
What he did in the playoffs last year was a fluke?

So far 2011 as a whole was a fluke. His consistently brilliant play throughout the entire year was a fluke - so far.

Roosevelt
12-26-2012, 12:49 PM

JPP needs to grow up.

Cruz got a taste of Eli throwing high this year and didn't enjoy players trying to take his head off.

Eli took a step back this year which I truly did not see coming. After the Panther game, I was convinced he was the goods. I love him but he's definitely Jekyll and Hyde.

Kez Simpson
12-26-2012, 12:49 PM
So far 2011 as a whole was a fluke. His consistently brilliant play throughout the entire year was a fluke - so far.

I hope he has a fluke season next year, those tend to lead to Superbowl victories on the back end.

GameTime
12-26-2012, 02:27 PM
As a relatively older Giants fan, it's easy to compare players and the situations we find our team in.

But remember as John Madden said, there probably wasn't a QB with more heart in the league than Phil Simms. And of course at that time we are talking about guys like Montana, Elway, and Marino.

So while yes Eli has heart, he doesn't compare to Simms. Simms would not given up there. Simms would have put a shoulder down and tried to get that first no matter who those defenders were.

That's what I was hoping to see from my QB. And then I would have expected nothing less than to see the rest of the team to rally behind that effort.

Is that crazy or too much to ask for? Well, obviously for the 2012 Giants team it was.
you are prob older the me but I saw all of Phil's career and maybe he would have lowere a shoulder. Eli has done that once that I have seen. Eli has also coughed it up while just trying to slide. Maybe he'd rather slide then cough it up. Either way...Eli has big heart and big desire to win. He gets pounded over and over. Gets up and moves on. His heart is as big as any QB/player. Simply lowering a shoulder on run play does not give you heart. Thats one play in one game.

Sarcasman
12-26-2012, 02:36 PM
yes , but obviously , only one side is actually correct !!

You forgot the red font.....

Roosevelt
12-26-2012, 03:06 PM
you are prob older the me but I saw all of Phil's career and maybe he would have lowere a shoulder. Eli has done that once that I have seen. Eli has also coughed it up while just trying to slide. Maybe he'd rather slide then cough it up. Either way...Eli has big heart and big desire to win. He gets pounded over and over. Gets up and moves on. His heart is as big as any QB/player. Simply lowering a shoulder on run play does not give you heart. Thats one play in one game.

It's just a mentality with the season on the line.

I remember Phil in that exact situation, although I don't remember the exact game. But our entire team was sucking that day. And there goes Phil on 3rd down, no one's open so he just starts running straight into the waiting defenders - desperate to fight through for a first.

Picture Jack Nicholson; One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - trying like hell to lift up that stone basin to throw it through the window.

He didn't succeed, but he was able to hold his head up as he said: "at least I tried god damn it, at least I tried."

GameTime
12-26-2012, 03:13 PM
It's just a mentality with the season on the line.

I remember Phil in that exact situation, although I don't remember the exact game. But our entire team was sucking that day. And there goes Phil on 3rd down, no one's open so he just starts running straight into the waiting defenders - desperate to fight through for a first.

Picture Jack Nicholson; One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - trying like hell to lift up that stone basin to throw it through the window.

He didn't succeed, but he was able to hold his head up as he said: "at least I tried god damn it, at least I tried."

I hear you Bro. I just think Eli does that in different ways. The Kid wants to win and win badly. Has never missed a game and gets his *** kicked pretty regularly. He has heart.....

Marvelousmik
12-26-2012, 03:17 PM

i enjoyed reading this. good post

Marvelousmik
12-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Eh, I don't think it's fair to judge his heart from him deciding to take a slide. Especially since he's not "athletically gifted" and a "running statue".

Im not saying Eli has no heart because he has definitely shown us it before (49ers game in the playoffs last year)..

but Isnt that what heart it about? fighting against the odds?

Rudyy
12-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Im not saying Eli has no heart because he has definitely shown us it before (49ers game in the playoffs last year)..but Isnt that what heart it about? fighting against the odds?Ok so what if he "fought" for it. There would be NO threads about it, just the same old Fire so and so, Eli sucks threads. If anything people would be saying "Wow Eli why are you risking your body for a first down that doesn't even matter? Not a smart play".

Marvelousmik
12-26-2012, 03:41 PM
Ok so what if he "fought" for it. There would be NO threads about it, just the same old Fire so and so, Eli sucks threads. If anything people would be saying "Wow Eli why are you risking your body for a first down that doesn't even matter? Not a smart play".

I actually didn't even see the play because i turned the game off. but i doubt people would have been mad at eli for not sliding in that particular game/situation. you cant be mad at a guy for trying to get a first down when the team is losing.

I am not questioning if Eli has heart or anything. I was just pointing out that heart is all about fighting against the odds.

BuffyBlueII
12-26-2012, 03:41 PM

Eli not going for the extra yard to get the 1st down was pathetic. He should have taken the hit and tried for the 1st.

Rudyy
12-26-2012, 03:43 PM
I actually didn't even see the play because i turned the game off. but i doubt people would have been mad at eli for not sliding in that particular game/situation. you cant be mad at a guy for trying to get a first down when the team is losing. I am not questioning if Eli has heart or anything. I was just pointing out that heart is all about fighting against the odds.He was like a yard or two short.

Marvelousmik
12-26-2012, 03:50 PM
He was like a yard or two short.

buffyblue just questioned eli.............................. I repeat. Buffyblue just questioned Eli...... between him and 420 id say buffy is the bigger homer and thats saying a lot. So if he is questioning ELi on something, then you knooow eli must have messed up lol.

Rudyy
12-26-2012, 03:52 PM
buffyblue just questioned eli.............................. I repeat. Buffyblue just questioned Eli...... between him and 420 id say buffy is the bigger homer and thats saying a lot. So if he is questioning ELi on something, then you knooow eli must have messed up lol.Ok...lol

BillTheGreek
12-27-2012, 01:21 AM
You know if you stop and think about it, out of all the NFL Teams, only one will WIN the Super Bowl!

ChrisChris
12-27-2012, 01:23 AM
MAN IF ELI SLID HE WOULD OF BROKE HIS BONES MAN. I BET HE CAN'T EVEN LIFT!

bigblue58
12-27-2012, 01:13 PM
forgot to put that in red?

Dude...every pass he threw went right where it was supposed to go and it was dropped time after time after time! You're just seeing what you want to see if you try to say anything different. The tape doesn't lie man, every throw he made, when he had some extra seconds to throw the ball was right on target.
The one throw to Hixon ( i think it was) that looked like it was batted away, was never touched by a defender, it landed in his breadbasket and right through his arms.

GIANTS740ilbmw
12-30-2012, 08:22 AM
I'm bringing good vibes for my G-Men today & predict that ELI MANNING will play like an ELIte qb @ home against the Philthydelphia Eggiez!!!
As for our playoff hopes ... I would like to say we will make it but to depend on other teams to help get us in is PRETTY SAD!
Esp after starting the season with an 6-2 record as defending SUPERBOWL CHAMPS???

SiddFinch1
12-30-2012, 09:51 AM
I have no idea if anything like this is posted but I am not reading 11 pages....Joe Montana arguably the greatest QB ever was beat by us IN THE PLAYOFFS 49-3....it does happen folks+1.exactly. QB is not a one man team. Look at Marino and no rings.that being said Eli was terrible last 2weeks.

Blackula31
12-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Although the final score was 34-0 ... We could have kicked 4-5 FG's during that game... we instead went for it on 4th down.

gumby74
12-30-2012, 12:05 PM
+1.exactly. QB is not a one man team. Look at Marino and no rings.that being said Eli was terrible last 2weeks.

So let's put this in perspective. If Eli plays very well and we win, did Eli LEAD us to victory? If the answer is yes, than it should only be fair that when Eli does not play well, he should shoulder much of the blame (not all of course, but a lot).

QB is the single most important position 10 fold.

Kez Simpson
12-30-2012, 01:08 PM
So let's put this in perspective. If Eli plays very well and we win, did Eli LEAD us to victory? If the answer is yes, than it should only be fair that when Eli does not play well, he should shoulder much of the blame (not all of course, but a lot).

QB is the single most important position 10 fold.

This.