PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Insider: Rookies Wilson And Hosley Schooled

RoanokeFan
12-17-2012, 07:45 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1221805 (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/giant-insider-rookies-david-wilson-jayron-hosley-schooled-article-1.1221805)

Excerpt: "hey shared a hotel room on Saturday night, burying their noses in their playbooks in anticipation of their first NFL starts.

And then, on Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons, David Wilson and Jayron Hosley reminded everyone how much experience they have under their belts. Wilson, starting at tailback in place of injured Ahmad Bradshaw, failed to convert a critical fourth down, and managed just 55 rushing yards.

Hosley, subbing for corner Prince Amukamara (hamstring), struggled even more, injuring his ankle on one big play and surrendering a 40-yard touchdown to WR Julio Jones early in the third quarter.

“I did some good things,” Hosley said. “There was some things I could have did better.”

Wilson called his own performance “poor.” A week ago he was dynamic, scoring three TDs against the Saints, but questions remain about his ability to gain tough yards. He didn’t answer those well.

With 6:08 to play in the first half and the Giants facing fourth-and-1 from the Falcon 32, Wilson was stuffed by Sean Weatherspoon for no gain. His playing time gradually dwindled from there.

“We didn’t do much on offense,” Wilson said. “We gotta get plays going and get drives going.”

The Falcons planned to target the rookie Hosley, Atlanta wideout Roddy White said, and they did so with 3:50 left in the first quarter. Hosley was drawn into what he thought was a screen play and rushed toward the line. Instead, WR Harry Douglas dashed past him, catching an easy 37-yard pass that set up Tony Gonzalez’s 12-yard TD three plays later.

Hosley injured his ankle on the play but tried to battle through it. He couldn’t keep up with Jones in the third quarter, when the Falcons’ speedster dashed straight by him to catch a 40-yard touchdown.

“He got behind me,” Hosley said. “I could have prevented that by keeping my outside leverage. He just made a good play.” Read more...

nycsportzfan
12-17-2012, 07:57 AM
The only reasons i didn't love the david wilson pick was the fact i didn't think he was a tote the load RB, which in my opinion are the only RB's u take in RD1, and i didn't like the way he sometimes didn't hit the whole but tried making moves in the backfield as in the NFL u got more Defensive speed then u do in college, and it'll cost u with that hopping around often, and i didn't like the fact he dosent' seem strong enough to be a elite blocker and punish for yards as a runner, which is what a 1st rd back shoudl be able to do..

To me, hes a mid to late 2nd rd guy who got taken in the 1st rd, when there was only 2 1st rd RBs in the draft , which were Richardson and martin... Also, Wilson's hands outta backfield have been bad this yr.. He dropped almost every pass to him this yr...

Of course, he'kll have his big games from time to time, with his speed and athletic ability, but that matters very little, if he dosen't do it on a consistent basis.. Hence, why i was annoyed when people wanted to call people out after his first big week as a pro last wk..

Who in the world thought he'd never have a big wk???lol

OX1
12-17-2012, 09:33 AM

Who in the world thought he would ever get only 2 games to prove his worth.
He's one for 2 after only 2 games, not bad me thinks.

CGYgiant
12-17-2012, 12:06 PM
The only reasons i didn't love the david wilson pick was the fact i didn't think he was a tote the load RB, which in my opinion are the only RB's u take in RD1, and i didn't like the way he sometimes didn't hit the whole but tried making moves in the backfield as in the NFL u got more Defensive speed then u do in college, and it'll cost u with that hopping around often, and i didn't like the fact he dosent' seem strong enough to be a elite blocker and punish for yards as a runner, which is what a 1st rd back shoudl be able to do..

To me, hes a mid to late 2nd rd guy who got taken in the 1st rd, when there was only 2 1st rd RBs in the draft , which were Richardson and martin... Also, Wilson's hands outta backfield have been bad this yr.. He dropped almost every pass to him this yr...

Of course, he'kll have his big games from time to time, with his speed and athletic ability, but that matters very little, if he dosen't do it on a consistent basis.. Hence, why i was annoyed when people wanted to call people out after his first big week as a pro last wk..

What has Doug Martin done against the better defences he has played this year? NOTHING, you trash David Wilson like hes not a first round caliber player but your delusional, you're just mad we drafted him when he wasn't one of your "guys".

What did Doug Martin do against the same Saints defence that Wilson played against last week? NOTHING. Your biased responses are getting ridiculous.

Martin is a jack of all trades and a master at NONE. He routinely averages less the 4.0 yards per carry against the better half of defences in this league.

I love how people write of Wilson based off of his ROOKIE season. Man that Spiller probably wasn't worth a first round back out of college was he? I mean he only had 283 yards, 0 TD's 2 fumbles in just 74 attempts that year. Bust altert!!!! haha I still remember how you and Redeye were all about us drafting him and what? Don't remember you calling this top ten pick a bust? You're BIASED and delusional.

here's Martin stats against good defences (even including our terrible Giants defence

NYG - 20 carries 66 yards.

DAL - 19 carries 59 yards.

SDG (lol) - 19 carries 68 yards.

ATL - 21 carries 50 yards (yep, same defence we just played)

DEN - 18 Carries 56 Yards

NO - 9 Carries 16 Yards (The same defence you called WEAK, just this past week).

Just becasue tampa sticks with Martin doesn't make him 'special', hes on pace for more than 300 carries, frankly he would "SU-CK" as you love to say if he didn't get over 1000 yards.

All I see with Martin is persistence, and NOT brilliance as some of you Martin lovers will have people believe.

Tmurda1984
12-17-2012, 06:38 PM
What has Doug Martin done against the better defences he has played this year? NOTHING, you trash David Wilson like hes not a first round caliber player but your delusional, you're just mad we drafted him when he wasn't one of your "guys".

What did Doug Martin do against the same Saints defence that Wilson played against last week? NOTHING. Your biased responses are getting ridiculous.

Martin is a jack of all trades and a master at NONE. He routinely averages less the 4.0 yards per carry against the better half of defences in this league.

I love how people write of Wilson based off of his ROOKIE season. Man that Spiller probably wasn't worth a first round back out of college was he? I mean he only had 283 yards, 0 TD's 2 fumbles in just 74 attempts that year. Bust altert!!!! haha I still remember how you and Redeye were all about us drafting him and what? Don't remember you calling this top ten pick a bust? You're BIASED and delusional.

here's Martin stats against good defences (even including our terrible Giants defence

NO - 9 Carries 16 Yards (The same defence you called WEAK, just this past week).

Just becasue tampa sticks with Martin doesn't make him 'special', hes on pace for more than 300 carries, frankly he would "SU-CK" as you love to say if he didn't get over 1000 yards.

All I see with Martin is persistence, and NOT brilliance as some of you Martin lovers will have people believe.

Doug Martin is running over 1200 yards this season....thats exceptional for a rookie in a so called passing league. Martin has even caught 38 balls for 400 yards on top of his 1200 yards rushing this season. ALSO Martin has ONLY 1 FUMBLE throughout the whole year....Wilson coughed it up in his 1st drive lol. Anyone who is downplaying what Martin has done for a terrible organization, is nothing but a hater. Wilson has all the opportunity to thrive in this offense....Bradshaw and Brown are injury proned guys and most teams gamplan to stop Eli. Doug Martin runs against 8 in the box waaaay often than Wilson will ever see.

Doug Martin is a star and a football player. He has great vision you can not teach. He can catch out the backfield and shows the ability to be a workhorse back and can run between the tackles and to the outside. And Martin being able to hang onto the ball as a ROOKIE Is a bonus. Guys we messed up sitting back and taking Wilson. Doug Martin almost reminds me of Emmitt Smith without the killer O-Line and the dominant passing game.

TheEnigma
12-17-2012, 06:57 PM
Doug Martin is also playing without Pro Bowl Guards Carl Nicks and Davin Joseph. When a rookie RB has to face 8 in the box on a consistent basis with a makeshift line, it's not really surprising that his YPC average is low. The Bucs are struggling in recent weeks but you can't deny that the presence of guys like Doug Martin and Mark Barron have made significant contributions to what Greg Schiano envisions for his team.

Wilson isn't going to see many opportunities if his pass blocking doesn't significantly improve nor will Gilbride tailor his offense so Wilson has the best chance. I hope he can make some contributions soon.

sharick88
12-17-2012, 06:58 PM
David Wilson is quickly turning into a polarizing figure here. When will it reach Eli type of status?

joemorrisforprez
12-17-2012, 07:09 PM
David Wilson is quickly turning into a polarizing figure here. When will it reach Eli type of status?

Speaking as someone who supported Eli, and supports Wilson, I think people will be laughing at the Wilson haters down the road, too.

Tmurda1984
12-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Speaking as someone who supported Eli, and supports Wilson, I think people will be laughing at the Wilson haters down the road, too.

Wilson haters? No one is hating on Wilson. We all Want TOO SEE HIM DO WELL...In fact I was excited about some of his runs in the preseason. We are not haters...we are growing a little impatient because we see how good Martin is doing and even Alfred Morris.

BlueSanta
12-17-2012, 08:01 PM
Well again, I think people missed the point of the Wilson pick. So here are a few points

(1) Martin was off the board when we picked. So whine all you want about him, but it is irrelevant to the topic of David Wilson.

However(2), people need to recognize that Wilson is almost 3 years younger than Martin. He will be about the same age Martin is now in the final year of his rookie contract. The Giants were clearly drafting for the future and the long term. 3 years age difference at RB is MASSIVE. Few people expected him to outplay Martin from the gates simply because Doug was more pro ready. There is little doubt that Wilson at age 21 was better then Martin was at age 21. So the future is bright, we just have to be patient.

(3)Wilson has been the best kick returner in the league, BY FAR. That was a problem area for us. So we needed to address it as well as RB. Which we did. Lets be honest here, Wilson's kickoff returns helps us win more games. You can certainly say the Saints game was won almost single handedly by him and he had big K/O returns that helped set us up in 2 other games for scores that would eventually be the margin of victory. You cant give him all the credit obviously, but he it also isnt completely unfair to say our record would be 7-7 or even 6-8 without his amazing returns. So lets not completely bash him to pieces.

(4) Martin went to a run 1st team with a predominantly 1 back system. They rely heavily on the run and feed the back the ball until the defense stops him. We are not a run 1st team and we do not feed backs often. In the 1st quarter vs Altlanta, Wilson was averaging almost 8 yards per carry, then we stopped giving him the ball and put Lumpkin into the game. Tampa would never do that. So It is really like comparing apples to potatoes. We have seen this for years in this offense. How many times has the hot RB been taken out of the game? I can remember several examples of times when AB was hot and we put BJ in, who wasnt or visa versa. I dont like to criticize, but I have never understood the philosophy behind that. If you have a young kid averaging almost 8ypc, you dont stop giving him the ball, especially when the QB is having a bad day.

5) this article also talks about Hosley and some of the people in this forum who didnt like the Wilson pick LOVED the Hosely pick. I find it curious that they leave his poor play out of the conversation.

I Hate T.O.
12-17-2012, 10:09 PM
Who in the world thought he would ever get only 2 games to prove his worth.
He's one for 2 after only 2 games, not bad me thinks.

Exactly.....the kid hasnt played much at all. How can he get better if he doesnt play?...Kid is a star in the making...can break one anytime...He will get better the more experience he gets.

gmen0820
12-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Doug Martin is also playing without Pro Bowl Guards Carl Nicks and Davin Joseph. When a rookie RB has to face 8 in the box on a consistent basis with a makeshift line, it's not really surprising that his YPC average is low. The Bucs are struggling in recent weeks but you can't deny that the presence of guys like Doug Martin and Mark Barron have made significant contributions to what Greg Schiano envisions for his team.

Wilson isn't going to see many opportunities if his pass blocking doesn't significantly improve nor will Gilbride tailor his offense so Wilson has the best chance. I hope he can make some contributions soon.They're both on IR, and Martin had almost 300 yards against the Raiders without either of them. Martin is a monster, and next year when he is fully acclimated to the NFL, he will be even better.

gmen0820
12-17-2012, 10:45 PM

All I see with Martin is persistence, and NOT brilliance as some of you Martin lovers will have people believe.You do realize that he also had 2 TDs and 50+ yards receiving vs Atlanta, as well as 40+ yards receiving vs a very stingy Denver defense that just owned Ray Rice? Yeah he struggled vs NO, but you can't run when you're down a **** load of points. (Which by the way, he completely carved NO up in their first meeting). Martin is a beast, and will continue to get better.

gmen0820
12-17-2012, 10:46 PM
However(2), people need to recognize that Wilson is almost 3 years younger than Martin. I hope he breaks 150 carries by then.

GameTime
12-17-2012, 10:49 PM
dont give a **** what Martin is doinf he is not a Giants player.
quit whining for godsake....

BigJ
12-17-2012, 11:57 PM
Hosley was so terrible out there too. The guy played like **** and even when he messed ul he wouldnt clean up. He gave up on a bunch of plays. Disgusted with his play. Hope he gets better but i still hope they draft a corner high next year..... Again haha

appodictic
12-18-2012, 01:41 AM
I am not a wilson hater but I am a big bradshaw fan. I got sick of all the bradshaw haters begging we bench bradshaw because we are denying wilson's greatness. him for wilsons greatness.

Well there you go. Wilson got the starting nod. He did ok. That is about it. He has talent, he is fast, he will get better, but hes not ready to be a starter yet.

TheShouldersOf
12-18-2012, 02:35 AM
Many know I've been one of the biggest supporters of Wilson since the Draft, also I'm not a fan of Bradshaw or Brown,

Wilson has not had a chance to get into the Tempo of the offense, the line hasn't gotten a chance to get into the rhythm of Wilson, putting him in for a play, out for a play, in for a play etc does nothing for both sides

if you have ever played Football and or the Running Back position you would know this, also one would assume and bet Tampa is running plays designed and or in favour of Martin, whilst the Giants are forcing Wilson into a 'Between the tackle, Draw' runner, which whilst we have seen glimpses of his power, his obvious talents are in speed, cutting outside space style running

nycsportzfan
12-18-2012, 06:37 AM
Doug Martin is running over 1200 yards this season....thats exceptional for a rookie in a so called passing league. Martin has even caught 38 balls for 400 yards on top of his 1200 yards rushing this season. ALSO Martin has ONLY 1 FUMBLE throughout the whole year....Wilson coughed it up in his 1st drive lol. Anyone who is downplaying what Martin has done for a terrible organization, is nothing but a hater. Wilson has all the opportunity to thrive in this offense....Bradshaw and Brown are injury proned guys and most teams gamplan to stop Eli. Doug Martin runs against 8 in the box waaaay often than Wilson will ever see.

Doug Martin is a star and a football player. He has great vision you can not teach. He can catch out the backfield and shows the ability to be a workhorse back and can run between the tackles and to the outside. And Martin being able to hang onto the ball as a ROOKIE Is a bonus. Guys we messed up sitting back and taking Wilson. Doug Martin almost reminds me of Emmitt Smith without the killer O-Line and the dominant passing game. CGY tends to make crazy arguements.. I mean, to argue anything on behalf of Martin other then hes a freaking stud is just not worth reading...

nycsportzfan
12-18-2012, 06:42 AM
Many know I've been one of the biggest supporters of Wilson since the Draft, also I'm not a fan of Bradshaw or Brown,

Wilson has not had a chance to get into the Tempo of the offense, the line hasn't gotten a chance to get into the rhythm of Wilson, putting him in for a play, out for a play, in for a play etc does nothing for both sides

if you have ever played Football and or the Running Back position you would know this, also one would assume and bet Tampa is running plays designed and or in favour of Martin, whilst the Giants are forcing Wilson into a 'Between the tackle, Draw' runner, which whilst we have seen glimpses of his power, his obvious talents are in speed, cutting outside space style running Oh, he only has a chance to get in the tempo of the offense when he has 10carries 100yrd 1td and a KR for a TD , right??? Pfft! U can't have it both ways , man..

People wanna call people out after one stellar wk, but then when its back to usual the following wk, with no AHmad Bradshaw might i add, then theres all sorts of reasons why..lol The giants felt more comfortable with Kregg Lumpkin out there for godsake.. Thats plain old embaressing if ur David Wilson, i would think...

Either way, i'm just saying it was alittle early to be calling people out for not liking the pick after one wk, is all.. No one, and i repeat no one thought David Wilson was gonna never have big games here and there.. U would have to be a complete moron to think he woulden't... Its a matter of doing the things nessecary to stay on the field and having consistent wk's and not being a liability in other areas that i want to see... I wanna see a tote the load RB..

I mean, the guys rookie season is almost over for godsake.. Its time to start showing some consistent results here!

nycsportzfan
12-18-2012, 06:52 AM
Well again, I think people missed the point of the Wilson pick. So here are a few points

(1) Martin was off the board when we picked. So whine all you want about him, but it is irrelevant to the topic of David Wilson.

However(2), people need to recognize that Wilson is almost 3 years younger than Martin. He will be about the same age Martin is now in the final year of his rookie contract. The Giants were clearly drafting for the future and the long term. 3 years age difference at RB is MASSIVE. Few people expected him to outplay Martin from the gates simply because Doug was more pro ready. There is little doubt that Wilson at age 21 was better then Martin was at age 21. So the future is bright, we just have to be patient.

(3)Wilson has been the best kick returner in the league, BY FAR. That was a problem area for us. So we needed to address it as well as RB. Which we did. Lets be honest here, Wilson's kickoff returns helps us win more games. You can certainly say the Saints game was won almost single handedly by him and he had big K/O returns that helped set us up in 2 other games for scores that would eventually be the margin of victory. You cant give him all the credit obviously, but he it also isnt completely unfair to say our record would be 7-7 or even 6-8 without his amazing returns. So lets not completely bash him to pieces.

(4) Martin went to a run 1st team with a predominantly 1 back system. They rely heavily on the run and feed the back the ball until the defense stops him. We are not a run 1st team and we do not feed backs often. In the 1st quarter vs Altlanta, Wilson was averaging almost 8 yards per carry, then we stopped giving him the ball and put Lumpkin into the game. Tampa would never do that. So It is really like comparing apples to potatoes. We have seen this for years in this offense. How many times has the hot RB been taken out of the game? I can remember several examples of times when AB was hot and we put BJ in, who wasnt or visa versa. I dont like to criticize, but I have never understood the philosophy behind that. If you have a young kid averaging almost 8ypc, you dont stop giving him the ball, especially when the QB is having a bad day.

5) this article also talks about Hosley and some of the people in this forum who didnt like the Wilson pick LOVED the Hosely pick. I find it curious that they leave his poor play out of the conversation. I loved the Hosley pick, and hes doning terrible right now.. Is that better??? jesus..lol

Anyhow, i only commented about David WIlson because u and others found it nessecary after his first big wk to call out people who didn't love the pick like they were wrong or something.. Like we thought the guy was never gonna have a big wk or something??lol Now, a wk later, the guy gets basically benched for Kregg Lumpkin and i come in and say, "this is why i woulden't call out people after a wk" and its back to excuses.. The guy isn't getting carries like he should because hes a liabilty for godsake... Maybe if he learns how to catch a pass and block then he'll be out there more..

Also, who cares how old Martin is? David Wilson played High School ball and then 3yrs at Va TEch.. Doug Martin played HS ball and 4yrs at boise.. Wow, big diffrence!!!(sarcasm) Him being young does nothing for us, if hes not gonna start producing untill hes Vick Ballards age or Doug Martins age, or Alfred Morris's age, anyways.. Whats so great about him being young if hes just a guy who can't steal the job from Kregg Lumpkin while hes so young? Ur thing about him being Young means nothing right now... Its not like it means hes gonna be around for 10yrs longer or anything either.. Guys play 2 diffrent ages, and Martin and Wilson's age means very little to anyone right now.. WIlson could end up being great by next season and be outta the league by the time hes 28, because he started younger.. Who cares?

BlueSanta
12-18-2012, 08:12 AM
Guys play 2 diffrent ages, and Martin and Wilson's age means very little to anyone right now.. WIlson could end up being great by next season and be outta the league by the time hes 28, because he started younger.. Who cares?
Lol do the math and you will see why I care. Lets use your example and say Wilson's career ends at 28. Thats would be 7-8 years in the league, or basically 2 contracts worth of play, or slightly less.

Now lets assume the same for Martin(28). He will be 27 at the end of his rookie contract and in his final year in the NFL.

So, thank you for proving my point. Giants draft long term. You never know when injury will shorten a guy's career, but they are playing the odds.

Furthermore, My point last week was that you are unfairly abusing him simply because you didnt like the pick. You even said he was a bad kickoff returner, you said he "su-cks" remember? You said that despite him being the very best KR in the league. Thats just pure spite on your part, it isnt even fact based. Without him simply as a KR we are down another 1-3 games on our record. Thats right, look at how many game winning or tieing drives he set up with Giant KO returns and you can clearly see he has been a big impact. You just dont want to admit it because you didnt like the pick. You loves the Jernigan pick tho, not picking on him tho even after 2 years of junk play. You loved the Greg Jones pick, hell you RAVED about it and he STUNK, but you didnt call him out. Nope, you only call out the picks you didnt like because you dont want to admit you were wrong too. Be consistent it all I ask and dont just call out the picks you didnt like. It makes you look like a hyprocrite.

OX1
12-18-2012, 09:00 AM
I am not a wilson hater but I am a big bradshaw fan. I got sick of all the bradshaw haters begging we bench bradshaw because we are denying wilson's greatness. him for wilsons greatness.

Well there you go. Wilson got the starting nod. He did ok. That is about it. He has talent, he is fast, he will get better, but hes not ready to be a starter yet.

Most didn't want Bradshaw out, they just wanted Wilson in enough so that the D did not know for sure it was going to be a run play every time
the kid was put in. At least give him a series every game. This would have helped Wilson later in the year (NOW) to be ready, and lessened the load for Bradshaw (and then maybe he wouldn't be done for the year, which I believe he is).

CGYgiant
12-18-2012, 09:07 AM
CGY tends to make crazy arguements.. I mean, to argue anything on behalf of Martin other then hes a freaking stud is just not worth reading...

haha crazy arguments that you have NO answer to. Love it. Trust me, when David Wilson starts getting the carries that Martin gets then we'll find out who the better back is. Against good defences Martin is average at best.

And for individual who mentioned that Martin "carved" up NO the orginal time, you do realize that David Wilson as much in 1 game versus the Saints then Martin did in two? right? except he carried the ball 13 more times..

and i'm not saying that Martin isn't a stud...against poor defences. He couldn't even run against OUR defence when he had his pro bowl guards. lol the Martin bias on these boards is amazing!

RoanokeFan
12-18-2012, 09:09 AM

It's not Wilson as much as it is frustration with what perceive as a losing effort both in the Falcon's game and other games this season. We really do expect to win every game we play no matter how irrational that is. So when we lose, we have to find an outlet and who better than the players and coaches.

Redeyejedi
12-18-2012, 09:28 AM

Sportzfan wasnt all that high on Spiller, I was the one that was. I dont get why u bring up Spiller I thought he was better then Wilson coming out. I never looked at him as an every down back either. I thought he was a split time back that would play some Slot WR as well.

CGYgiant
12-18-2012, 11:15 AM
Sportzfan wasnt all that high on Spiller, I was the one that was. I dont get why u bring up Spiller I thought he was better then Wilson coming out. I never looked at him as an every down back either. I thought he was a split time back that would play some Slot WR as well.

Yes, but they both have similar game breaking ability. That comment was more based on the fact that people are calling Wilson a bust. ALREADY. Which is absolutely ridiculous. Spiller was a top 10 pick who is had a rookie season that was similar to Wilsons, why were people not calling Spiller a bust? if anything, Wilson's done more in his rookie year with his work in the return game. Also, Wilson is a much more physcial runner than Spiller whereas the latter is more elusive and can catch better.

Lets at least give it a season or two? no? Its evident that nysportzfan thinks that people he doesn't like will never be good pro's. He's delusional.

mommy2dylan
12-18-2012, 11:57 AM
I am the only one that think Wilson is alot like Tiki Barber was .... he will always be the kind of runner that gets negative yardage with breaking one every game, making his game average good .....

Mr.TRUEBLUE
12-18-2012, 12:02 PM
I am the only one that think Wilson is alot like Tiki Barber was .... he will always be the kind of runner that gets negative yardage with breaking one every game, making his game average good .....

You're right I think

DandyDon
12-18-2012, 01:49 PM

+1

nycsportzfan
12-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Lol do the math and you will see why I care. Lets use your example and say Wilson's career ends at 28. Thats would be 7-8 years in the league, or basically 2 contracts worth of play, or slightly less.

Now lets assume the same for Martin(28). He will be 27 at the end of his rookie contract and in his final year in the NFL.

So, thank you for proving my point. Giants draft long term. You never know when injury will shorten a guy's career, but they are playing the odds.

Furthermore, My point last week was that you are unfairly abusing him simply because you didnt like the pick. You even said he was a bad kickoff returner, you said he "su-cks" remember? You said that despite him being the very best KR in the league. Thats just pure spite on your part, it isnt even fact based. Without him simply as a KR we are down another 1-3 games on our record. Thats right, look at how many game winning or tieing drives he set up with Giant KO returns and you can clearly see he has been a big impact. You just dont want to admit it because you didnt like the pick. You loves the Jernigan pick tho, not picking on him tho even after 2 years of junk play. You loved the Greg Jones pick, hell you RAVED about it and he STUNK, but you didnt call him out. Nope, you only call out the picks you didnt like because you dont want to admit you were wrong too. Be consistent it all I ask and dont just call out the picks you didnt like. It makes you look like a hyprocrite. Why would i assume the same for Martin? Again, i could care less about Age, if the young guys doing nothing for us till hes 22 or 23 anyways.. Matters to me none.. I also woulden't assume the same for Martin , becuase for all we know, Martin will play till hes 32 and Wilson 30, and maybe other way around, u just never know.. David Wilson being young means nothing if hes just learning the ropes and isn't gonna start being good for 2yrs anyhow..

Hes less then 2.5yrs older by the way, not 3... If anything, i'd worry that more hits on a young body just means that they'll be outta the league earlier then most RB's.. Especially being hes only what 205-210lbs at 6ft or whatever wilson is? He dosen't look to have the frame to take a pounding for 12yrs in the pros, thats for sure..

nycsportzfan
12-18-2012, 05:08 PM
You're right I think Tiki was alot stronger then he ever got credit for.. There were seasons he had 330-357 attempts... He was a true all around, can tote the load RB... Nobodys Tiki, till they show there tiki..lol

TheEnigma
12-18-2012, 05:14 PM
lol the Martin bias on these boards is amazing!

There's like 5 people on this board who like Martin. The Wilson preseason hype here was out of control with all the 1k+ yard predictions and that he was going to take the starting job from Bradshaw by the middle of the season. Heck, everyone was ready to run Bradshaw out of town during our slump even though he's always been a warrior for us and playing games with constant injuries. So what if Doug Martin is better than Wilson right now? There's a reason the Bucs traded up to get him and that's because he's a monster. Maybe Wilson can be one someday too.

gmenblue8890
12-18-2012, 05:25 PM
I don't understand why people are upset with Wilson's production. 53 carries for 266 yards 5.0 avg. 5 20+ yard carries 3 td's only the one fumble to start the season and nothing since. Plus everything he has done for us on kick returns. He will get much better at pass protection as time goes on. Every NYG back does. The whole comparison to martin is dumb it's a different team and a different situation, he is their offense, basically everything goes through him so of course he will have a lot of attempts and yards.

Edit: Plus everyone forgets, what did Bradshaw do his rookie season till late/playoff time? Nothing

nycsportzfan
12-18-2012, 06:35 PM
I don't understand why people are upset with Wilson's production. 53 carries for 266 yards 5.0 avg. 5 20+ yard carries 3 td's only the one fumble to start the season and nothing since. Plus everything he has done for us on kick returns. He will get much better at pass protection as time goes on. Every NYG back does. The whole comparison to martin is dumb it's a different team and a different situation, he is their offense, basically everything goes through him so of course he will have a lot of attempts and yards.

Edit: Plus everyone forgets, what did Bradshaw do his rookie season till late/playoff time? Nothing Nodboyd forgot nor cares what Bradshaw did as a 7th RD DRAFT PICK OUTTA LITTLE MARSHALL for that matter(see the diffrence between 7th and 1st rd picks i threw in there??LOL).. The diffrence between the 2 is the obvious as i stated, 7th rd and 1st rd picks, and the fact Bradshaw came here when Jacobs was in his prime, and Derrick Ward was here with his 3seasons of coaching under his belt in our system.. Obviously i woulden't say Derrick Wards name when talking about being in the way of a RB's playing time, but we also are talking about a 7th rd Rookie RB, not a 1st rder...

David Wilson came into a ideal situaton with only a Injury prone Ahmad Bradshaw to really contend with(at least should be that way if ur a 1st rder), and just a journey man former 4th rd pick who is injury prone in Andre Brown, who was in his 2nd stint with the Giants.. How much more ideal a situation do u need to get significant playing time? Now, lets put Ahmad Bradshaw of 2007 on this paticular team, and i would bet he'd get alot more then just some carries at the end of the yr, and he was a 7th rd pick!

nycsportzfan
12-18-2012, 06:42 PM
There's like 5 people on this board who like Martin. The Wilson preseason hype here was out of control with all the 1k+ yard predictions and that he was going to take the starting job from Bradshaw by the middle of the season. Heck, everyone was ready to run Bradshaw out of town during our slump even though he's always been a warrior for us and playing games with constant injuries. So what if Doug Martin is better than Wilson right now? There's a reason the Bucs traded up to get him and that's because he's a monster. Maybe Wilson can be one someday too. David Wilson will certainly become a bit more consistent, its just u wonder if he'll be worth a 1st rd selection even down the rd? For me personally, i want a guy who totes the ball 20plus times a game and catches a bunch of balls if i'm using a 1st rder on a RB, and also scores double digit TDs...

Thats always been my issue with Wilson.. If Wilson was our 2nd rd pick, i'd have no issue at all.. I just think the value wasen't there and we could of come away with alot more value then David Wilson, who i see as a split the load back ... Thats always been my only issue...

This past draft was the first draft i really was displeased with our draft as a whole, so i'm not surprised in the least bit that we've gotten so little production outta the entire draft.. I took alot of heat for my opinon on our draft, and yet here we sit, one yr in the books, and we've had alittle production outta our draft as a whole.. Hmmmm?lol

TheEnigma
12-18-2012, 07:15 PM
This past draft was the first draft i really was displeased with our draft as a whole, so i'm not surprised in the least bit that we've gotten so little production outta the entire draft.. I took alot of heat for my opinon on our draft, and yet here we sit, one yr in the books, and we've had alittle production outta our draft as a whole.. Hmmmm?lol

Well it is too early to judge any of the players (except McCants...my god) on their future but I feel a lot of people liked the 2012 Draft just because we won the Superbowl and were willing to give up any possible criticism. Wilson also had some pretty flashy highlights and I can see how the kid is an easy prospect to fall in love with. Why we drafted a 1st round project RB for a Gilbride scheme still baffles me to this day when an offensive lineman or a stud defensive prospect would of made more logical sense. I really have nothing against the kid but I feel the Giants fanbase handed this kid the keys to the city way too early and were ready to dump Bradshaw at a moment's notice. Lumpkin did a decent job in Atlanta considering his situation but people hate the dude because he took snaps away from the Golden Child.

BlueSanta
12-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Why would i assume the same for Martin? Again, i could care less about Age, if the young guys doing nothing for us till hes 22 or 23 anyways.. Matters to me none.. I also woulden't assume the same for Martin , becuase for all we know, Martin will play till hes 32 and Wilson 30, and maybe other way around, u just never know.. David Wilson being young means nothing if hes just learning the ropes and isn't gonna start being good for 2yrs anyhow..

Hes less then 2.5yrs older by the way, not 3... If anything, i'd worry that more hits on a young body just means that they'll be outta the league earlier then most RB's.. Especially being hes only what 205-210lbs at 6ft or whatever wilson is? He dosen't look to have the frame to take a pounding for 12yrs in the pros, thats for sure..

Wilson came into the league at 20 years old. He was 5'9 205lbs. Where you getting 6ft from? Martin came into the league 23 years old and 5'9 215 lbs.

And for the record, when Doug Martin was 21(same age as Wilson now), he was 5'9 199 lbs, which is SMALLER than Wilson is now.

So currently, they are the same height and 10 lbs difference. The 10 lbs difference Martin has over Wilson(plus 5 more punds) was added all in the last 2 years, less than the difference in their age. So your "frame" talk backfired and helped my point again.

So before bringing up stats, I would recommend you actually know a guys stats (lol david Wilson is 6 ft?) This only bolsters my point about you never caring a lick about Wilson because you have been so busy whinning about it you never even bothered to know his measurables. And 2nd off I again thank you for proving my point about how the age difference DOES actually matter since the"frame" difference you seem to love so much about 1 guy was all added during the difference in the current age..

Imgrate
12-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Wilson was a wasted pick. Absolutely terrible. I have absolutely no idea what reese was thinking. There is no reasonable rationale, there is no sound logic.

nycsportzfan
12-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Wilson came into the league at 20 years old. He was 5'9 205lbs. Where you getting 6ft from? Martin came into the league 23 years old and 5'9 215 lbs.

And for the record, when Doug Martin was 21(same age as Wilson now), he was 5'9 199 lbs, which is SMALLER than Wilson is now.

So currently, they are the same height and 10 lbs difference. The 10 lbs difference Martin has over Wilson(plus 5 more punds) was added all in the last 2 years, less than the difference in their age. So your "frame" talk backfired and helped my point again.

So before bringing up stats, I would recommend you actually know a guys stats (lol david Wilson is 6 ft?) This only bolsters my point about you never caring a lick about Wilson even after we picked him because you dont even know his measurables. And 2nd off I again thank you for proving my point about how the age difference DOES actually matter since the"frame" difference you seem to love so much about 1 guy was all added during the difference in the current age.. Weight and HT are only a bit of what i was talking about.. U can simply watch them run and see the diffrence in center of gravity and leg strength.. Martin looks bigger and for all we know, is bigger then he was at the combine, as the combine comes, guys are trimming and gaining like mad men to try and look wahtever the part they feel they need to look to get drafted.. Martin is clearly more stocky and shorter then Wilson at this point, and it shows simply by looking at em.. THere is no chance in he-ll that David Wilson is 5ft 9inch.. Hes more of a Chris Johnson type RB which is great, but if u want a longer prime, and a guy who can take punishment , then i believe u look to Doug Martin type..

Its all what kinda RB u like.. Shoot, most experts agree, as u will never see one person compare David Wilson with a Ray Rice, or MJD or anything like that, but u will see Doug Martin compared to em all the time..

Listen, i might of said David WIlson sucked outta frustration before, but with a level head i've said a gazillion times that i think he can be a fine duo back, and have the occasional big games, but just like Cj Spiller, i just don't see em as a 20plus a game back and feature back for whole games.. I only believe those guys are worth 1st rders, and thats why i didn't want CJ Spiller.. I don't beleive splitting carries is 1st rd worthy...

As far as talent goes, i think Doug Martin is more complete player and can handle a full workload wk in and wk out, and thats why i like em more.. I think the bucs were smart to see that Doug Martin was the next best RB in the class and trade up.. It dosen't mean David Wilson is gonna suck or not have monster wk's from time to time, it just means when said and done, i see the value being Doug Martin by a landslide...

Imgrate
12-18-2012, 08:07 PM
I just hope his production remains mediocre so his second contract isn't that big or we just let him walk

nycsportzfan
12-18-2012, 08:12 PM

So before bringing up stats, I would recommend you actually know a guys stats (lol david Wilson is 6 ft?) This only bolsters my point about you never caring a lick about Wilson because you have been so busy whinning about it you never even bothered to know his measurables. And 2nd off I again thank you for proving my point about how the age difference DOES actually matter since the"frame" difference you seem to love so much about 1 guy was all added during the difference in the current age.. How did i help ur point? The only point there is is 1200yrds 10plus TD and 30plus catches compared to 200yrds a couple tds and like 2catches and a couple KR's.. Theres ur point right there...lol Hows that for a point? Are those stats all right to use?

Oh wait, i forgot, according to u there is no diffrence between 1st and 7th rders, so we can say look at what Bradshaw did as a rookie, right??lol And theres no diffrence with whos in front of a guy, as u stated before, with talk of Bradshaw and Jacobs, as u coulden't see the diffrence between having Tiki Barber in front of u, and u coulden't see the diffrence of Having Jacobs in front of u, both in there primes mind u, as opposed to a injury prone Ahmad bradshaw and a jouryney man former 4th rder who is in his 2nd stint with giants.. lol

No diffrence at all in those scenarios...

BlueSanta
12-18-2012, 08:39 PM
How did i help ur point? The only point there is is 1200yrds 10plus TD and 30plus catches compared to 200yrds a couple tds and like 2catches and a couple KR's.. Theres ur point right there...lol Hows that for a point? Are those stats all right to use?

Oh wait, i forgot, according to u there is no diffrence between 1st and 7th rders, so we can say look at what Bradshaw did as a rookie, right??lol And theres no diffrence with whos in front of a guy, as u stated before, with talk of Bradshaw and Jacobs, as u coulden't see the diffrence between having Tiki Barber in front of u, and u coulden't see the diffrence of Having Jacobs in front of u, both in there primes mind u, as opposed to a injury prone Ahmad bradshaw and a jouryney man former 4th rder who is in his 2nd stint with giants.. lol

No diffrence at all in those scenarios...

Lol you just change the argument completely didnt you. Nice try.

Just keep on doing what your doing, nothing will change your ways. You have whinned and whinned about the Wilson pick and never given him credit for what he has done right(you said he sucks at KO returns despite bing #1 in the league) and you dont even know a thing about him(6 ft ?? are you kidding me?) nor have you given him a chance, ALL because you didnt like the pick. It appears to me that you would rather be right about him being a bad pick than being wrong about him and he turn into a good player that helps the team you suposedly root for. Other 1st round picks that you liked, such as JPP, who didnt produce his 1st year and you never said a thing, in fact you defended him.

All you do is bring up Martin over and over and over, even tho HE WASNT AVAILABLE WHEN WE PICKED. So deal with it and move on. It gets old hearing you bash a player who has contributed and does appear to have a goood future according to all the coaches and player, but you dont want to see because then you would have been wrong about a pick, God Forbid.

gmenblue8890
12-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Nodboyd forgot nor cares what Bradshaw did as a 7th RD DRAFT PICK OUTTA LITTLE MARSHALL for that matter(see the diffrence between 7th and 1st rd picks i threw in there??LOL).. The diffrence between the 2 is the obvious as i stated, 7th rd and 1st rd picks, and the fact Bradshaw came here when Jacobs was in his prime, and Derrick Ward was here with his 3seasons of coaching under his belt in our system.. Obviously i woulden't say Derrick Wards name when talking about being in the way of a RB's playing time, but we also are talking about a 7th rd Rookie RB, not a 1st rder...

David Wilson came into a ideal situaton with only a Injury prone Ahmad Bradshaw to really contend with(at least should be that way if ur a 1st rder), and just a journey man former 4th rd pick who is injury prone in Andre Brown, who was in his 2nd stint with the Giants.. How much more ideal a situation do u need to get significant playing time? Now, lets put Ahmad Bradshaw of 2007 on this paticular team, and i would bet he'd get alot more then just some carries at the end of the yr, and he was a 7th rd pick!

The giants don't care what round you were drafted, if your talented your talented. Obviously both Bradshaw and Wilson are talented Rb's as rookies. Bradshaw had a huge season his last college season only reason he was 7th rd. was the fact he played for Marshall. How did Wilson come into an ideal situation? The Giants under this coaching staff is a team that doesn't trust rookie running backs or basically any rookies no matter who you are. Idk how anyone thought Wilson would get any playing time at all while Bradshaw is healthy and playing. And for a rookie when Wilson has had his opportunities to get playing time I think he has done well. People are angry he only had 55 yards this week...well he only had 12 carries thats a 4.6 avg. More than fine by me.

CGYgiant
12-19-2012, 12:27 AM
There's like 5 people on this board who like Martin. The Wilson preseason hype here was out of control with all the 1k+ yard predictions and that he was going to take the starting job from Bradshaw by the middle of the season. Heck, everyone was ready to run Bradshaw out of town during our slump even though he's always been a warrior for us and playing games with constant injuries. So what if Doug Martin is better than Wilson right now? There's a reason the Bucs traded up to get him and that's because he's a monster. Maybe Wilson can be one someday too.

5 people on these boards that like Martin? maybe 5 in this thread?

Im not hyping up Wilson at all, he may be a bust but you guys are acting like this kid is ALREADY a bust? unreal. How is Martin a monster? because he runs well against teams that have crap run defences? I hope Wilson will be MUCH better than that. I love how I posted his numbers against solid teams and he's nothing against them..

TheEnigma
12-19-2012, 06:42 AM
5 people on these boards that like Martin? maybe 5 in this thread?

I just don't understand your statement of this MB having Martin bias when more than half of the community makes threads about how Coughlin and Gilbride suck because they under utilize the next coming of Barry Sanders or how they are being mean old men holding a grudge against Wilson because of his youth. I don't really blame them because they do make some valid points but you would think logic dictates that our coaching staff with numerous awards and such prestige might just be doing the right thing here. Perhaps he's just not ready to break out to be the RB he can be?

Im not hyping up Wilson at all, he may be a bust but you guys are acting like this kid is ALREADY a bust?

I'm going to have to ask you to find any time I mentioned that this kid was a bust because I despise nothing more than when people try to twist my words or argument into something it never was. Perhaps you are mixing me up with someone else or simply lumping me into the "Wilson haters" group but the boldest claim I have made about Wilson is that he isn't a scheme match for what the Giants want to accomplish and I questioned Reese in that regard.

How is Martin a monster? because he runs well against teams that have crap run defences? I hope Wilson will be MUCH better than that. I love how I posted his numbers against solid teams and he's nothing against them..

Martin averages around 117 offensive yards a game combined on the ground and receiving passes out of the backfield...as a ROOKIE. How can you not respect that sort of contribution to a team with an average QB and slightly mediocre defense? We would love if Wilson gave us that kind of production right now and I'm sure you wouldn't be trashing him if that were the case.

nycsportzfan
12-19-2012, 08:00 AM
I just don't understand your statement of this MB having Martin bias when more than half of the community makes threads about how Coughlin and Gilbride suck because they under utilize the next coming of Barry Sanders or how they are being mean old men holding a grudge against Wilson because of his youth. I don't really blame them because they do make some valid points but you would think logic dictates that our coaching staff with numerous awards and such prestige might just be doing the right thing here. Perhaps he's just not ready to break out to be the RB he can be?

I'm going to have to ask you to find any time I mentioned that this kid was a bust because I despise nothing more than when people try to twist my words or argument into something it never was. Perhaps you are mixing me up with someone else or simply lumping me into the "Wilson haters" group but the boldest claim I have made about Wilson is that he isn't a scheme match for what the Giants want to accomplish and I questioned Reese in that regard.

Martin averages around 117 offensive yards a game combined on the ground and receiving passes out of the backfield...as a ROOKIE. How can you not respect that sort of contribution to a team with an average QB and slightly mediocre defense? We would love if Wilson gave us that kind of production right now and I'm sure you wouldn't be trashing him if that were the case. GOod luck getting CGY to not put words in ur mouth..lol

nycsportzfan
12-19-2012, 08:07 AM
The giants don't care what round you were drafted, if your talented your talented. Obviously both Bradshaw and Wilson are talented Rb's as rookies. Bradshaw had a huge season his last college season only reason he was 7th rd. was the fact he played for Marshall. How did Wilson come into an ideal situation? The Giants under this coaching staff is a team that doesn't trust rookie running backs or basically any rookies no matter who you are. Idk how anyone thought Wilson would get any playing time at all while Bradshaw is healthy and playing. And for a rookie when Wilson has had his opportunities to get playing time I think he has done well. People are angry he only had 55 yards this week...well he only had 12 carries thats a 4.6 avg. More than fine by me. Thats not true at all.. He plays Rookies in situations that need to be played.. Some of u think Coughlin and Co won't do this or won't do that and same with Jerry Reese when it comes to getting certain kinda players, but in reality, its situations that have just fallen as they have..

Meaning, we've had RB's to play the majority of snaps that have been really good to the point we've not needed a rookie to step in and step up that much at the RB positon.. When we drafted Jacobs, we had Tiki, when we got Ahmad Bradshaw, we had Jacobs, Ward, and Draughns, and none of em were even 1st rd picks mind u.. The only thing in the way for David Wilson was a injury prone bradshaw, whos always been a split the load back to begin with.. There is no way Coughlin woulden't be playing David Wilson if he thought David Wilson could handle the blocking duties, and was not making little mistakes throughout the season, like the fumble, dropped passes, and lack of blocking ability, and miniscule production at times when finally given a chance(for most part, obviously he has had a couple moments)...

The situation is completely diffrent then any other time we had a RB in here.. Its diffrent because of the RD we got Wilson in, and its diffrent becuase of what Wilson had ahead of him..

Like i said for the 100th time, Wilson was the first RB in off the bench in GAME 1 to give Bradshaw a breather, and he fumbled, and dropped a pass, which soured him with Coughlin.. That opened the door for Andre Brown who took his OPP by the horns and ran with it(litteraly)..

CGYgiant
12-19-2012, 10:19 AM

Martin averages around 117 offensive yards a game combined on the ground and receiving passes out of the backfield...as a ROOKIE. How can you not respect that sort of contribution to a team with an average QB and slightly mediocre defense? We would love if Wilson gave us that kind of production right now and I'm sure you wouldn't be trashing him if that were the case.

When did I mention your name specifically? touchy much? From the beggining I have been talking strictly about NYC as he is the most biased delusional person on here. You actually make valid points but to say he may not be a scheme fit, this early in his career is premature. Lets give the kid a year or two before we can say that yes, he doesn't fit our scheme. Or is that saying too much?

And do you honestly believe that if Wilson was given the touches that Martin was he wouldn't be producing as much? if not more? Martins play has been solid against bad team and mediocre at best against good teams. Thats a fact and the numbers back it up, persistence does not equal brilliance. Also, Gilbrides offence is amoung the most difficult offensive systems to grasp, I remember at the combine that we have over 20 different protections that the RB needs to learn as that is a lot more then most if not all teams in the league. Martin would be in the EXACT same shoes as Wilson if he was here.

Lastly, I dont post much on these boards much anymore but I have never critized the staff. Ever, I think Gilbride is a fantastic coach as is Coughlin. The Gilbride haters on the boards still (for whatever reason) fail to realize that Eli has total control of the offence when hes on the field and if the play fails its NOT Gilbrides fault, he doesn't design or call plays that are built to fail. Ofcourse, there needs to be a scapegoat though.

CGYgiant
12-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Thats not true at all.. He plays Rookies in situations that need to be played.. Some of u think Coughlin and Co won't do this or won't do that and same with Jerry Reese when it comes to getting certain kinda players, but in reality, its situations that have just fallen as they have..

Meaning, we've had RB's to play the majority of snaps that have been really good to the point we've not needed a rookie to step in and step up that much at the RB positon.. When we drafted Jacobs, we had Tiki, when we got Ahmad Bradshaw, we had Jacobs, Ward, and Draughns, and none of em were even 1st rd picks mind u.. The only thing in the way for David Wilson was a injury prone bradshaw, whos always been a split the load back to begin with.. There is no way Coughlin woulden't be playing David Wilson if he thought David Wilson could handle the blocking duties, and was not making little mistakes throughout the season, like the fumble, dropped passes, and lack of blocking ability, and miniscule production at times when finally given a chance(for most part, obviously he has had a couple moments)...

The situation is completely diffrent then any other time we had a RB in here.. Its diffrent because of the RD we got Wilson in, and its diffrent becuase of what Wilson had ahead of him..

Like i said for the 100th time, Wilson was the first RB in off the bench in GAME 1 to give Bradshaw a breather, and he fumbled, and dropped a pass, which soured him with Coughlin.. That opened the door for Andre Brown who took his OPP by the horns and ran with it(litteraly)..

Just becasue Bradshaw is injury prone it does NOT make him a bad player. I think you're getting the two confused. Bradshaw is an excellent pass protector and even if you had your dream boy Martin here in NY he would sit behind Bradshaw becasue he is not even close to being the pass protector he is.

Who did Martin have "in front" of him in Tampa? Blount? the guy that had something like 7 fumbles last year and was a part of the old regime? you're telling me that Wilson really had it easier then Martin? Everyone was predicting to Martin to start almost the week after he got drafted.