PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence Tynes: a portrait in mediocrity

joemorrisforprez
12-17-2012, 10:01 AM
I used to dog this guy all the time, and stopped after the Giants won it again in 2011. I figured why bother beating that drum?

But yesterday, I was reminded again of why Tynes bothers me so much.

Yes, he's generally accurate.....but that's about it. As shown yesterday, he is capable of missing from anywhere on the field.

And, even worse, he's basically hopeless from outside 49 yards. Coughlin couldn't even send him out there to attempt a 50 yarder in a freaking dome.

Granted, his FG % looks good.....but when you consider that other NFL kickers are counted on to try long field goals which Tynes can't make, it's less impressive.

Is Tynes awful?.......no.

Is he good?......very debatable.

GMENAGAIN
12-17-2012, 10:02 AM
This is what you choose to focus on after that loss? Eh, ok.

Tynes is the least of our problems.

nhpgiantsfan
12-17-2012, 10:03 AM
It could be a lot worse, but no, he isn't very good at all.

Zaggs
12-17-2012, 10:03 AM

Was the least of our problems yesterday. But some day he's probably the biggest, again. Don't forget he has already cost the Giants 1 game this season (1st eagles) if not more. I don't know why they stick with him unless they're blaming DeOssie or Weatherford.

GMENAGAIN
12-17-2012, 10:04 AM
Was the least of our problems yesterday. But some day he's probably the biggest, again. Don't forget he has already cost the Giants 1 game this season (1st eagles) if not more. I don't know why they stick with him unless they're blaming DeOssie or Weatherford.

If you think that Tynes cost us the Eagles game you know absolutely nothing about football.

Moke
12-17-2012, 10:06 AM
He isn't the biggest of problems, but he is mediocre. I'm scared of getting him to kick a 30-40 yd field goal.....In desperate measures, I'd be afraid... really afraid.

Zaggs
12-17-2012, 10:08 AM
If you think that Tynes cost us the Eagles game you know absolutely nothing about football.

I know enough about football to know that if you lose by 2 points, and your kicker comes up short on a last second kick (after shanking his first attempt), your kicker cost you the game. Lets not also forget that had Favre not been an interception happy QB Tynes would have cost the Giants their first trip to the Super Bowl.

joemorrisforprez

I'm not focusing on it....I'm bringing up the fact that he's just not that good.

He played a role in the loss. Missed a chip shot that would have made it 7-3.

Tynes is a direct cause of the Giants suffering the worst shutout by a defending Super Bowl Champ.

Rudyy
He isn't the biggest of problems, but he is mediocre. I'm scared of getting him to kick a 30-40 yd field goal.....In desperate measures, I'd be afraid... really afraid.In desperate measures he's been pretty clutch. Except for the Philly game..that wasnt his fault. SO YEAH.

Moke
12-17-2012, 10:09 AM
In desperate measures he's been pretty clutch. Except for the Philly game..that wasnt his fault. SO YEAH.

There are still about 10-15 kickers I'd rather take before I'd take Tynes. Probably even more.

Zaggs
12-17-2012, 10:10 AM
In desperate measures he's been pretty clutch. Except for the Philly game..that wasnt his fault. SO YEAH.

Desperate like those 2 misses in Green Bay during the NFC championship game?

GMENAGAIN
12-17-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm not focusing on it....I'm bringing up the fact that he's just not that good.

He played a role in the loss. Missed a chip shot that would have made it 7-3.

Tynes is a direct cause of the Giants suffering the worst shutout by a defending Super Bowl Champ.

Every player and coach on that team played a direct role in the loss

joemorrisforprez
12-17-2012, 10:11 AM
He isn't the biggest of problems, but he is mediocre. I'm scared of getting him to kick a 30-40 yd field goal.....In desperate measures, I'd be afraid... really afraid.

I'll tell you want, there is no such thing as a "gimme" with this guy. Every kick is ****ing adventure.

Rudyy
There are still about 10-15 kickers I'd rather take before I'd take Tynes. Probably even more.Can't disagree there...he's been reliable this year though.

Moke
I'll tell you want, there is no such thing as a "gimme" with this guy. Every kick is ****ing adventure.

Just like this team

joemorrisforprez
12-17-2012, 10:17 AM
Can't disagree there...he's been reliable this year though.

I'll agree, but the bar is set so low for him.......other kickers are called on to attempt kicks that bring their averages down.

Coughlin treats Tynes like he's the Boy in the Plastic Bubble.

flashnando
12-17-2012, 10:59 AM

I don't think the poster meant actually lost us the game but when he was called upon to bail us out of a bad game, Tynes just poured salt on the wound lol

This is a team game and Tynes had a chance to bail them out with his leg (which is what he gets paid to do "KICK") but couldn't make the FG.

Giants had a bad game against the Eagles but Eli still drove them down the field to at least have a chance to win it but didn't happen.

GeoGoGo
12-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Every player and coach on that team played a direct role in the loss

Well said.

BigBlueCrew88
12-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Tynes has the worst range in the entire league. I think the only reason they keep him around is so the offense is encouraged to get field goals. We neeed to get a new kicker, the rest of our division did it and it's worked out great for them.

NYG4lifeNYK
12-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Tynes is very good he's just not a 50+ range kicker.... he has a weak leg

AllHailEli
12-17-2012, 08:24 PM

Didn't he miss one against the Redskins too? That could have made a difference.

wolverine77
12-17-2012, 08:26 PM
I would really like to have Kaeding or Cunduff. They both are way better than Tynes. Let's not forget the Cheifs let Tynes go. What does that say. Yes we have problems, but at least start with a new kicker. They are easily replaceable.

thegiantsrule10
12-17-2012, 08:27 PM
At first i read it as Lawrence Taylor. Don't know why

GameTime
12-17-2012, 08:36 PM
I used to dog this guy all the time, and stopped after the Giants won it again in 2011. I figured why bother beating that drum?

Yes, he's generally accurate.....but that's about it. As shown yesterday, he is capable of missing from anywhere on the field.

And, even worse, he's basically hopeless from outside 49 yards. Coughlin couldn't even send him out there to attempt a 50 yarder in a freaking dome.

Granted, his FG % looks good.....but when you consider that other NFL kickers are counted on to try long field goals which Tynes can't make, it's less impressive.

he has had a rough stretch the last two games.....thats all..

GameTime
12-17-2012, 08:38 PM

how about the game she has kept us in and we won becaus eof his FGs during the course of the game.,..
please......a very unecessary thread....

wolverine77
12-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Yes Tynes had made a lot of fgs this year. But don't forget that the offense got him there. And some bad play calling has put us in to kick the fgs.

BigBlue1971
12-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Tynes as with everyone else had a miserable game yesterday! noone participated!

yes he missed that one but it was more than just that! hes actually been consistent this year!

Parademon
12-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Tynes didn't cost us the Eagles game, KG did by going for a pass play when they were in easy FG range & we got an OPI that pushed us 10yds back & out of Tynes range. He ended up missing by a yard!

Flip Empty
12-17-2012, 09:10 PM
The Giants combust in unison - "All-in" or all-out. Picking at a missed field goal after a 34-0 performance is silly, especially since those godforsaken things are the reason the Giants are in contention at all.

gmen0820
12-17-2012, 09:25 PM
There are still about 10-15 kickers I'd rather take before I'd take Tynes. Probably even more.Such as?

gmenfan0488
12-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Didn't he miss one against the Redskins too? That could have made a difference.

I blame Barden, not Tynes, for the Eagles loss. However, If tynes makes the FG in Washington, we win that game and we'd still be a game ahead in the division.

GameTime
12-17-2012, 09:31 PM
if Tynes makes the FG in Washington, we win that game and we'd still be a game ahead in that division. If we miss the playoffs, it is directly Tynes' fault

fixed it for you

gmen0820
12-17-2012, 09:33 PM
I blame Barden, not Tynes, for the Eagles loss. However, If tynes makes the FG in Washington, we win that game and we'd still be a game ahead in the division.Barden did the right thing, playing defense on that play. That could have been a pick.

Parademon
12-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Well, if Eli had made a better throw, Barden wouldn't have had to play DB & commit the OPI. The throw was underthrown, if he had put a bit more on the ball, it's either caught for a TD, huge gain or falls incomplete.

GameTime
12-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Well, if Eli had made a better throw, Barden wouldn't have had to play DB & commit the OPI. The throw was underthrown, if he had put a bit more on the ball, it's either caught for a TD, huge gain or falls incomplete.
you talking about the pass to Wilson that Barden got called for holding?? If so....that was some how Elis fault????

Parademon
12-17-2012, 09:42 PM
No, in the Eagles game back in Sept

GameTime
12-17-2012, 09:44 PM
No, in the Eagles game back in Sept

ok.....gotcha....

gmen0820
12-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Well, if Eli had made a better throw, Barden wouldn't have had to play DB

I blame Barden

Which is it?

Parademon
12-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Eli made a bad throw!

gmen0820
12-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Eli made a bad throw!Agreed. It was a bad call, not sure if it was audibled into, but whoever made it really screwed up.

Zaggs
12-17-2012, 09:59 PM
Such as?

Can't speak for Moke, but for me: Kai Forbath, Phil Dawson, Shaun Suisham, Seabass, Justin Tucker, Dan Bailey, Blair Walsh, Jay Feely, Matt Bryant, Rian Lindell. There's 10 for ya.

Zaggs
12-17-2012, 10:01 PM

Who cares. That didn't make it a 65 yard field goal. It was only 54. Tynes came up a yard short, on his second kick. His first (negated by a TO) was long enough, but he shanked it, badly.

Roosevelt
12-17-2012, 10:06 PM

Tynes has been solid until recently.

gmen0820
12-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Can't speak for Moke, but for me: Kai Forbath, Phil Dawson, Shaun Suisham, Seabass, Justin Tucker, Dan Bailey, Blair Walsh, Jay Feely, Matt Bryant, Rian Lindell. There's 10 for ya.Are you just naming kickers? Suisham has been bounced off how many teams for missing clutch kicks? Feely? Seattle of '05? Lindell/Dawson/Seabass...have they ever kicked a FG in the playoffs? Matt Bryant is what, 0-4 in playoff FGs? Forbath averages five FGs per every team he's collected a check for. Tucker is...a rookie. Dan Bailey? The guy who missed a FG for the win vs Baltimore, and Arizona.

Out of those guys, the only ones that are good are Bailey, Tucker, Seabass, and maybe Walsh.

gmen0820
12-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Who cares. That didn't make it a 65 yard field goal. It was only 54. Tynes came up a yard short, on his second kick. His first (negated by a TO) was long enough, but he shanked it, badly.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-3rczASd1c

You were saying?

gmen0820
12-17-2012, 10:17 PM
For anyone that doesn't want to see the video, it is Shaun Suisham (one of Zaggs preferred kickers) missing the same exact FG he is scolding Tynes for.

Flip Empty
12-17-2012, 10:21 PM
If, if, if... That's a fool's argument.

poppa smurph
12-17-2012, 10:24 PM
you talking about the pass to Wilson that Barden got called for holding?? If so....that was some how Elis fault????I believe the play in question is Barden's offensive PI penalty late in the Phily game...
Just a little aside here on the state of the boards,
All these threads on individual players costing the Giants a game is by far the silliest of thought processes to cling to after a loss.
Now, it might make you feel better, might vent some of the steam that's built up over the embarressment of a punishing loss, but it's terribly short-sighted.
There is on average somewhere between 120 - 140 plays a game when you combine both teams.
After a game like we saw yesterday, the Washington game or even that Phily game, it's pretty easy to see there's plenty of oppourtunities that the Giants didn't manage to take advantage of.
Offense, Defense, Special Teams. They all add up.

Zaggs
12-17-2012, 10:53 PM
Are you just naming kickers? Suisham has been bounced off how many teams for missing clutch kicks? Feely? Seattle of '05? Lindell/Dawson/Seabass...have they ever kicked a FG in the playoffs? Matt Bryant is what, 0-4 in playoff FGs? Forbath averages five FGs per every team he's collected a check for. Tucker is...a rookie. Dan Bailey? The guy who missed a FG for the win vs Baltimore, and Arizona.

Out of those guys, the only ones that are good are Bailey, Tucker, Seabass, and maybe Walsh.

Are you just stupid? This is Forbath's first year and he is perfect so far. Every kicker I named has a better % than Tynes, including from 50+. The only distance Tynes is perfect from is 20-29 yards. Bailey only misses 50+ yarders. Suisham's only miss is from 50+. Dawson is perfect from 50+. Feely's made a 61 yarder. If we asked Tynes to kick from 61 yards out, would the ball even hit the endzone? Blair Walsh, 8 for 8 from 50+, Tucker is 4 for 4.

gmen0820
12-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Are you just stupid? This is Forbath's first year and he is perfect so far. Every kicker I named has a better % than Tynes, including from 50+. The only distance Tynes is perfect from is 20-29 yards. Bailey only misses 50+ yarders. Suisham's only miss is from 50+. Dawson is perfect from 50+. Feely's made a 61 yarder. If we asked Tynes to kick from 61 yards out, would the ball even hit the endzone? Blair Walsh, 8 for 8 from 50+, Tucker is 4 for 4.Forbath was a Cowboy last year, and never played. He also was on the Bucs for a little. Feely made that 61 yard kick, and then cost his team the win when he missed a 38 yarder.

And the clutch is the only place to measure kickers. Shayne Graham, David Akers, John Carney, Neil Rackers, Billy Cundiff, Vanderjerk, all playoff losers. Tynes, two SB sending kicks, and many others to win the game in the reg. season.

Zaggs
12-17-2012, 11:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-3rczASd1c

You were saying?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2Q6_sbTWRY

Hey look, another shank from 35 yards out. Remember that one?

Or this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBy6JtPD0A8

gmen0820
12-17-2012, 11:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2Q6_sbTWRY

Hey look, another shank from 35 yards out. Remember that one?

Or this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBy6JtPD0A8Really? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhovxwaZ4VY

23 yards. Remember that? Or are you just looking at K stats on NFL.com? LOL

GameTime
12-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Tynes has no less then 7 more kicks then any of those other kickers. Say whay you want.....he is not the reason for the Giants inconsistencies..
not even close......
why piss and moan about the only consistent part of the Giants team all season. between he and Weatherford they have been great

poppa smurph
12-17-2012, 11:15 PM
Tynes has no less then 7 more kicks then any of those other kickers. Say whay you want.....he is not the reason for the Giants inconsistencies..
not even close......
why piss and moan about the only consistent part of the Giants team all season. between he and Weatherford they have been greatSpecial Teams this year are better then any year I can recall recentley. Even coverage has been better then the last couple of years.
Then there's Wilson.
ST's have been a A-, B+ at the very least.

joemorrisforprez
12-17-2012, 11:32 PM
not even close......
why piss and moan about the only consistent part of the Giants team all season. between he and Weatherford they have been great

He's consistently unable to hit anything outside 49 yards, for starters.....