PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Down Why Giants Still Guaranteed A Playoff Bid If They Win Out

RoanokeFan
12-17-2012, 12:11 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/12/breaking_down_why_the_giants_s.html

Excerpt: "The Giants' 34-0 loss to the Falcons yesterday dropped them to essentially third place in the NFC East, but they still control their own playoffs destiny.

If the Giants (8-6) win out, they will earn at least a wild-card bid, an NFL spokesman confirmed.

In that scenario -- beating both the Ravens and the Eagles -- the Giants would finish 10-6, with an 8-4 record in the NFC. That conference record would give them tiebreakers over the other wild-card contenders.

In the rest of the conference, the Falcons have wrapped up the NFC South and the Packers have won the NFC North. Either the 49ers (10-3-1) or the Seahawks (9-5) will win the NFC West. All the other remaining teams in the NFC playoff picture are at 8-6: Redskins, Cowboys, Bears and Vikings.

If the Giants win out, either the 49ers or the Seahawks -- whoever does not win the NFC West -- could still have a better record than them and earn the No. 5 seed. But if the Giants get to 10-6 and do not win the division, they cannot be overtaken for the No. 6 Wild-Card spot." Read more...

Toadofsteel
12-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Made sense to me... but we need to beat the Ravens, who are hungry for a win at this point and will have a HUGE motivational boost getting Ray Lewis back (even if it's not much of a material difference), and then Philly which Killdrive likes to call his most predictable games of the year against and TC just herp derps on real hard...

TheAnalyst
12-17-2012, 12:21 PM
I actually feel better that they can beat the Ravens then the Eagles. After that horrible playcalling episode yesterday though, we wont beat anyone if we repeat it.

Eli doesn't look motivated anymore either. Maybe his "old age" is catching up. 32 in Jan

ryan12
12-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Made sense to me... but we need to beat the Ravens, who are hungry for a win at this point and will have a HUGE motivational boost getting Ray Lewis back (even if it's not much of a material difference), and then Philly which Killdrive likes to call his most predictable games of the year against and TC just herp derps on real hard...

your sig is awesome

Toadofsteel
12-17-2012, 12:43 PM
your sig is awesome

Lol I just couldn't get the DD comparison out of my head...

Moke
12-17-2012, 12:44 PM
Dunkin Donuts coffee sucks. Just like David "The Real" Diehl

RoanokeFan
12-17-2012, 12:44 PM

Why would we be less motivated than the Ravens? 34 - 0 should make someone besides me angry

Toadofsteel
12-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Why would we be less motivated than the Ravens? 34 - 0 should make someone besides me angry

Not if Tuck and Osi are just collecting paychecks.

If they don't show up in the first quarter bench them for Tracy and Ojomo. I'd rather lose due to a lack of talent than a lack of motivation...

Mr.TRUEBLUE
12-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Dunkin Donuts coffee sucks. Just like David "The Real" Diehl

I dunno I like dunkin better then starbucks And Diehl is one of the BEST SIXTH MAN off the bench for Offensive Line in the whole NFL

And who nyG is really missing is a BIG BACK like Jacob who the Oline can rally around

Mr.TRUEBLUE
12-17-2012, 12:50 PM

If they don't show up in the first quarter bench them for Tracy and Ojomo. I'd rather lose due to a lack of talent than a lack of motivation...

Tuck should be rotated off the bench with Nuka back to End Position
And when we run 4 End defense Nuka & Tuck inside with Osi on left and JPP on right with lots of substitutions to Tracy and Ohno

RoanokeFan
12-17-2012, 12:53 PM

As much as I have been hoping for a scheduled rotation that included Tracy and Ojomo, would we be better off or not to bench Tuck and Osi? We can say do it and not have to worry about the effects. I wanted Hosley and Wilson in the game and that didn't do much to get s a win.

Toadofsteel
12-17-2012, 12:55 PM
As much as I have been hoping for a scheduled rotation that included Tracy and Ojomo, would we be better off or not to bench Tuck and Osi? We can say do it and not have to worry about the effects. I wanted Hosley and Wilson in the game and that didn't do much to get s a win.

Wilson for the most part did his job. Didn't do it well or anything like that, but he knew his blocking assignments, didn't allow a sack when blocking, didn't cough up the ball, etc. Kid is learning, and will eventually become a great RB for us. The one time he didnt turn around to catch a pass in the flat, Eli threw it early because, well, read my sig...

BlueJayC
12-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Tuck should be rotated off the bench with Nuka back to End Position
And when we run 4 End defense Nuka & Tuck inside with Osi on left and JPP on right with lots of substitutions to Tracy and Ohno

It's all moot if they don't switch up their coverage and blitz packages.......straight 4-man upfield rush is just not creative enough......well coached defensive teams can mask back end deficiencies (injuries) with creative blitz packages.....see Rob Ryan.....**** Lebeau.

Moke
12-17-2012, 12:57 PM

Because we are the Giants, the "mighty" Giants!

BlueJayC
12-17-2012, 12:57 PM
It's all moot if they don't switch up their coverage and blitz packages.......straight 4-man upfield rush is just not creative enough......well coached defensive teams can mask back end deficiencies (injuries) with creative blitz packages.....see Rob Ryan.....**** Lebeau.

Ha! Censored......"Richard" Lebeau.

RoanokeFan
12-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Wilson for the most part did his job. Didn't do it well or anything like that, but he knew his blocking assignments, didn't allow a sack when blocking, didn't cough up the ball, etc. Kid is learning, and will eventually become a great RB for us. The one time he didnt turn around to catch a pass in the flat, Eli threw it early because, well, read my sig...

I'm not knocking Wilson or Hosley. I was actually afraid Wilson was going to get hurt trying to block. He and Hosley are rookies and we are expecting too much from them. My point is when you replace a player, it had better be an improvement. Are Tracy and Ojomo such an improvement over Tuck and Osi to warrant benching the veterans?

Moke
12-17-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm not knocking Wilson or Hosley. I was actually afraid Wilson was going to get hurt trying to block. He and Hosley are rookies and we are expecting too much from them. My point is when you replace a player, it had better be an improvement. Are Tracy and Ojomo such an improvement over Tuck and Osi to warrant benching the veterans?

Ojomo has fire. I'm sure it wouldn't warrant benching a veteran, but it'd be good for rotation.

Mr.TRUEBLUE
12-17-2012, 01:02 PM

We'll see?

nycisgreat
12-17-2012, 01:08 PM

KG is predictable against most opponents.

GMAN2K9
12-17-2012, 01:16 PM

Definitely agreed we are asking way too much out of the Va Tech boys. There is no way Hosley should have been left alone to cover Juilo Jones, as he was when he got burned for the TD bomb. I think Stevie Brown was supposed to be in positon for safety help and I am not sure where he was on that play.

egyptian420
12-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Thanks RA for breaking it down to people who still think NBC, ESPN, and all the Giants beat writers have the wrong calculations and they missed something....I don't know how many times I've had to explain it

IamGiantsfan
12-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks RA for breaking it down to people who still think NBC, ESPN, and all the Giants beat writers have the wrong calculations and they missed something....I don't know how many times I've had to explain it
Thank Jenny Vrentas the person who actually wrote the article ;)

egyptian420
12-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Thank Jenny Vrentas the person who actually wrote the article ;)lol true

Moke
12-17-2012, 02:03 PM
By the way, this is a dumb article. It's pretty obvious.

Razur
12-17-2012, 02:14 PM

Anger is an emotion, something apparently lacking in the Giants. TC actually referenced it in last win..and I am paraphrasing " Keep the emotion, the passion on the sidelines". When Eli makes that run and takes on a defender head on, the sideline goes nuts and defense comes out revving high. There was none of that in Atlanta. Even early on. it was like sunday school, they just stood or sat there watching.

The Giants lack weekly fire. Or more tothe point, they lack consistent weekly fire.

giantsfan420
12-17-2012, 03:04 PM
Why would we be less motivated than the Ravens? 34 - 0 should make someone besides me angryplus balt clinched a playoff berth already they arent do or die

gmen0820
12-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Dunkin Donuts coffee sucks. Just like David "The Real" DiehlDD coffee is the ****

Redeyejedi
12-17-2012, 03:49 PM
It's all moot if they don't switch up their coverage and blitz packages.......straight 4-man upfield rush is just not creative enough......well coached defensive teams can mask back end deficiencies (injuries) with creative blitz packages.....see Rob Ryan.....**** Lebeau. That fantastic Dallas D that gives up 3 more points per game then the Giants

BlueJayC
12-17-2012, 04:25 PM
That fantastic Dallas D that gives up 3 more points per game then the Giants

That Cowboy D that let's up less yardage a game and has twice as many sacks as the Giants despite being more injury depleted in the secondary and across the board than the Giants.....that Cowboys D? That D which held when they had to against the Bengals and Steelers and made plays.....that Cowboy D? That Cowboy D who plays Coe a player whom the Giants cut and could've used yesterday.....that Cowboy D? Yeah that's the D I'm reffering to.......

joemorrisforprez
12-17-2012, 04:30 PM

Ravens will be an extremely tough game.....the only advantage is that the Ravens have clinched.....so they won't be as desperate as the Giants.

Maybe we'll actually have a Justin Tuck sighting next week.....dare to dream.

DandyDon
12-17-2012, 05:16 PM
By the way, this is a dumb article. It's pretty obvious.

The article is dumb because you already knew everything that was in it?

I didnt, and I'm glad to have everything clarified in one spot. Guess I'm dumb too :(.

BillTheGreek
12-17-2012, 06:10 PM

You know, I was watching DD........almost after every play, he was just standing there looking around !