PDA

View Full Version : THE DROP

burier
12-17-2012, 02:29 PM
There's a term we use back where I come from. It describes a situation one might find themselves in. You're sitting at a redlight with your music pumping and a guy runs up to your driver's side window and points a gun directly at your head. He demands that you get out of the car. Maybe you have a gun of your own in the glove box or under the dash but you'll never reach it in time. Maybe you're a 3rd degree black belt but you'll never reach that in time either. There's nothing you can do to stop him because he has caught you off guard.He had plotted and schemed in antisipation of this moment... He has gotten the drop on you.

That's what happened to the Giants yesterday. We can blame whoever we want. We can rehash conversations about Eli's eliteness or Gilbrides playcalling. We can talk about how over-rated our defense is our how poorly coached we are as a whole but the fact of the matter is the Atlanta Falcons got the drop on us. They achieved a supreme level of forsight and positioned themselves in such a way that the only thing we could do is lay down and take it.

Sure Eli missed some throws. Sure that deep ball down the middle to Nicks would have been completed if Nicks was healthy but those plays in the grand scheme of things would have amounted to that peircing sound a particulary stubborn piece of bark makes as its being pushed through a wood chipper.

let's call it what it was. The Falcons were better prepared on one sunday. They may have gotten the drop on us but there's no reason to believe that the next team will do the same.

If you are carjacked will you stop driving forever? If you decide to drive again is it under the assumption that you will inevitably experience another carjacking? I don't think so. Of course not. Rather the next time you enter your vehicle you are more diligent, you are better aware of your surroundings and if someone tries to carjack you again you catch him in the sideview mirror and this time you get the drop on him instead.

That Ravens game is gonna happen weather we like it or not and I for one believe that this time the Giants will be ready.

JMGGIANTS
12-17-2012, 02:31 PM
I don't care how well prepared Atlanta was, which they were, we have too many incredibly horrible games to just blow it off as oh well. That is my opinion.

ny06
12-17-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm shocked not once did you bash Justin Tuck.
Who is this and what have you done to burier?

GameTime
12-17-2012, 02:33 PM
???
football is 60 minutes....
not at all like someone pointing a gun at your head.
Also they had time to veiw film...

bad analogy and poor timing with the whole gun thing...
not being a wet blanket...just saying

gumby74
12-17-2012, 02:34 PM
I think people are just extra frustrated that we don't know which Giants team is going to show up. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we're done this season. This year feels like a lot like 2010 when we turned around and got blown out by Green Bay.

Toadofsteel
12-17-2012, 02:40 PM
I think people are just extra frustrated that we don't know which Giants team is going to show up. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we're done this season. This year feels like a lot like 2010 when we turned around and got blown out by Green Bay.

The one thing i remember was that we beat the skins the week after that. Ended the season on a win at least. Even after the skins started showing the score of the packers-bears game that the Giants were watching on the scoreboard the very moment GB took the lead.

JMGGIANTS
12-17-2012, 02:54 PM
???

I was thinking the same but didn't say anything.

burier
12-17-2012, 03:02 PM
???

I was so articulate with the OP I feel bad responding in this thread but I will.

football is 60 minuntes. life is 24-7. If anything you should be far better prepared for the trials of life than any team could be for a football game.

I also rebuke your critique on my timing as my timing is deliberate. Not trying to be a wet blanket or anything but what happened recently is a classic case of someone taking advantage of someone elses illpreparedness.

BuffyBlueII
12-17-2012, 03:03 PM
The one thing i remember was that we beat the skins the week after that. Ended the season on a win at least. Even after the skins started showing the score of the packers-bears game that the Giants were watching on the scoreboard the very moment GB took the lead.I was at that game and the crowd at Fedex Field went wild that we were knocked out of playoffs. Can't stand those delusional d-bag Redskins fans.

burier
12-17-2012, 03:34 PM
I'm shocked not once did you bash Justin Tuck.
Who is this and what have you done to burier?

I've seen flashes of decent play from Tuck which is all I can ask of him at this point. I've said all I need to say on that subject.

I've got a question for you. What was it about Michael Strahan? He was getting tripples on reg and still produced season in and season out. I say that not to bash Tuck but to point out that Michael Strahan would agree that JPP is more physically gifted than stra ever was but its to the point now where JPP can disappear from a game if you commit extra guys.

ny06
12-17-2012, 11:38 PM
I've seen flashes of decent play from Tuck which is all I can ask of him at this point. I've said all I need to say on that subject.

I've got a question for you. What was it about Michael Strahan? He was getting tripples on reg and still produced season in and season out. I say that not to bash Tuck but to point out that Michael Strahan would agree that JPP is more physically gifted than stra ever was but its to the point now where JPP can disappear from a game if you commit extra guys.

JPP is relatively new to the game of football, he's getting by on sheer ability. I think people forget it took Strahan a few seasons to become the dominant player. He was always a great run defender in his career, but it took him a few years before he started to become a great pass rusher as well.

BillTheGreek
12-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Eli & the GMen ,Will Redeem themselves !

Thereís always somebody saying that Giants canít do it, and those people have to be ignored.

Never underestimate the GIANTS !

YATittle1962
12-18-2012, 12:06 AM
what happened recently is a classic case of someone taking advantage of someone elses illpreparedness.

what in the world are you talking about ?

are you referring to the shootings?

ill preparedness ?

in a kindergarden class?

my goodness bro.....I don't even know what to say to you right now so I'm going to close my laptop and go to bed

giantsfan420
12-18-2012, 12:14 AM
great post. gonna use the rank thread feature for the first time

moosedrool
12-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Here is what it comes down to. Who has their best players healthy for the stretch run?

Think back to last year. The Giants were relatively healthy. Then Osi came back from injury. All of a sudden we had three healthy and talented pass rushing DE's, and that makes a huge difference. We also had a healthy Nicks, Cruz, and Manningham. Three healthy and talented WR's. You can't double all three WR's and all three DE's.

This year. Deep threat Manningham gone. Nicks clearly not healthy. Tuck a year older and a shell of his former self. Osi a year older. JPP has a back issue that has slowed his pass rush. Boley is 30. Webster is 30. Diehl is 32. This team is not healthy enough right now and is getting old fast. And then people who don't understand this blame the OC and DC, which is not even close to the reason why they played so badly in Atlanta.

giantsfan420
12-18-2012, 12:31 AM
Here is what it comes down to. Who has their best players healthy for the stretch run?

Think back to last year. The Giants were relatively healthy. Then Osi came back from injury. All of a sudden we had three healthy and talented pass rushing DE's, and that makes a huge difference. We also had a healthy Nicks, Cruz, and Manningham. Three healthy and talented WR's. You can't double all three WR's and all three DE's.

This year. Deep threat Manningham gone. Nicks clearly not healthy. Tuck a year older and a shell of his former self. Osi a year older. JPP has a back issue that has slowed his pass rush. Boley is 30. Webster is 30. Diehl is 32. This team is not healthy enough right now and is getting old fast. And then people who don't understand this blame the OC and DC, which is not even close to the reason why they played so badly in Atlanta.good post. this is what i mean by the context of a players success