PDA

View Full Version : UP TEMPO OFFENSE

Manning
12-17-2012, 11:14 PM
I'm sick of seeing the elite CONSISTENT offenses of the NFL try new tricks and plays, and use imagination and creativity. A lot of them use the no huddle, get to the line and then run the clock down. The Giants however are the slowest team to get to the line and snap the ball. There are so many advantages for an offense that runs the no huddle.

You keep favorable matchups and tired defensive players on the field.
Defenses will stick with vanilla sets and calls.
Really take advantage of fatiguing the defensive linemen who have to sit in the 3 pt stance for eternity. Neutralizes pass rush, allows oline to get a better jump on dline on run plays, and draw more offsides.

We've been screaming for this for years. I believe we have a smart QB who works hard with receivers to make sure they are on same page. So why not attempt to implement this? We show some sort of capability with this with our above average two minute offense. Can the coaches stop being so stubborn... aughhhh

joemorrisforprez
12-17-2012, 11:35 PM
We only use that when we need to win Super Bowls.

giantsfan420
12-18-2012, 12:34 AM
i like both of the posts in this thread so far.

PennState1
12-18-2012, 12:36 AM
It worked well in the Pats comeback last night. The vaunted SF defense was on their heels, winded and reeling for a long time.

giantsfan420
12-18-2012, 01:27 AM
no huddle forces Defenses into softer coverages and in coverages the QB can easily break down...just makes zero sense to why we at least didnt see it vs Atl before it got completely out of hand

joemorrisforprez
12-18-2012, 01:32 AM
It worked well in the Pats comeback last night. The vaunted SF defense was on their heels, winded and reeling for a long time.

And, considering we have a rookie RB that is literally bursting with energy, why not just go up tempo with a combination of pitchouts, slants, underneath stuff to Bennett, etc?

Like the OP pointed out, Eli is a veteran QB....the guy knows what he's doing. Work out the plays during the week, practice them, and let it ride....even if it's a possession or two.

DarkSaint
12-18-2012, 01:35 AM
It will also compensate for our weak oline. IIRC we had good/great drives every time we ran the hurryup this year. It boggles the mind that we never use it unless there is 2 minutes to go in the half. When we didn't run it against Cincy with their DT's parked behind our LOS I knew we weren't going to win the game. We ran it once right before the end of the 1st half and we drove like 70 yards for a field goal. I think that was the only time we had a good offensive series in that entire game. The coaches (Killdrive) never adjusted in the 2nd half to take advantage of what they did right on that drive.

TheShouldersOf
12-18-2012, 01:35 AM
That would require Creative Coaches

joemorrisforprez
12-18-2012, 01:36 AM
no huddle forces Defenses into softer coverages and in coverages the QB can easily break down...just makes zero sense to why we at least didnt see it vs Atl before it got completely out of hand

I agree 100%.

I'll be the first to admit Eli had a crappy game. But that's exactly when great coaching is needed.....figure out what's not working, and go with something that will give the QB some comfort level and establish timing.

Manning
12-18-2012, 12:41 PM
It will also compensate for our weak oline. IIRC we had good/great drives every time we ran the hurryup this year. It boggles the mind that we never use it unless there is 2 minutes to go in the half. When we didn't run it against Cincy with their DT's parked behind our LOS I knew we weren't going to win the game. We ran it once right before the end of the 1st half and we drove like 70 yards for a field goal. I think that was the only time we had a good offensive series in that entire game. The coaches (Killdrive) never adjusted in the 2nd half to take advantage of what they did right on that drive.

Really would help out that oline...

GameTime
12-18-2012, 12:45 PM
the Steeler game and last game they should have used the 2 minute or no huddle. At least it would show that they have a sense of urgency....
they showed 0 of that in both of those games

Captain Chaos
12-18-2012, 12:46 PM
I like it!

giantsforce
12-18-2012, 12:56 PM
That would require Creative CoachesI agree 100% but some here will argue that we need better execution. It is never a coaching issue. I guess the players do not understand the complexity of 2 draws up the middle, a pass and a kick, so they need to huddle up and then get a delay of game penalty. So it it is all execution and Coughlin and Killdrive are not stuck in the 80's play calling.

DarkSaint
12-18-2012, 01:06 PM
It will never happen. If they give Eli the ball, it will show what a buffoon killdrive really is. Killdrive regardless of how stupid he is will never allow himself to be exposed like this. He is going to pull out his uncreative playbook which is complex to our offense only and run the plays that they practice on Wednesdays. He won't make adjustments, the plays he will call wont be based on success or failure, regardless of the score and field position. We'll just win inspire of him.

Manning
12-18-2012, 01:57 PM
It will never happen. If they give Eli the ball, it will show what a buffoon killdrive really is. Killdrive regardless of how stupid he is will never allow himself to be exposed like this. He is going to pull out his uncreative playbook which is complex to our offense only and run the plays that they practice on Wednesdays. He won't make adjustments, the plays he will call wont be based on success or failure, regardless of the score and field position. We'll just win inspire of him.

I really hope this is not the case. This is like Jets coaches' egos with Tebow. If you let Eli take control and he succeeds, you can be Tom Moore and do almost nothing. Its not too late for Gilbride, and he wouldn't be exposed too terribly.

Manning
12-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Thanks Gilbride for implementing this week. But really, that hynoski draw was some serious trickeration.

gmen0820
12-24-2012, 01:08 PM
No huddle on the road is very hard to do. They tried it for a series or two, and they still took the play clock all the way down to 5. The biggest problem overall is the lack of urgency in this offense.

paulj
12-24-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm sick of seeing the elite CONSISTENT offenses of the NFL try new tricks and plays, and use imagination and creativity. A lot of them use the no huddle, get to the line and then run the clock down. The Giants however are the slowest team to get to the line and snap the ball. There are so many advantages for an offense that runs the no huddle.

You keep favorable matchups and tired defensive players on the field.
Defenses will stick with vanilla sets and calls.
Really take advantage of fatiguing the defensive linemen who have to sit in the 3 pt stance for eternity. Neutralizes pass rush, allows oline to get a better jump on dline on run plays, and draw more offsides.

We've been screaming for this for years. I believe we have a smart QB who works hard with receivers to make sure they are on same page. So why not attempt to implement this? We show some sort of capability with this with our above average two minute offense. Can the coaches stop being so stubborn... aughhhh

I said the same exact thing in my post.

I guess our OC thinks it is against the rules to consider these tactics?