PDA

View Full Version : Myers: Now's The Time For Eli To Mann Up

RoanokeFan
12-18-2012, 07:42 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1222424 (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/myers-time-eli-mann-article-1.1222424)

Excerpt: "It’s the wrong time of the year for the Giants to be suffering from an identity crisis, but with two must-win games remaining, the Super Bowl champs still have no idea who they are.

One week they score 52 points, their most since 1986, and beat the Saints by 25. The next week they get shut out for the first time since 1996 and lose by 34 to the Falcons, just 11 months after beating them by 22 in the playoffs.

When they look in the mirror, it’s scary because they don’t know who will be looking back.

If the good Eli shows up Sunday in Baltimore, the Giants will beat the reeling Ravens. But if the bad Eli makes another appearance, the Giants will be crying in their crabcakes on the train ride home. Teams are a reflection of their quarterback, none more than the Giants, and Eli Manning has alternated between elite and ugly and so have the Giants.

As inept as the Giants were in Atlanta, the players received a positive update in their team meeting Monday when Tom Coughlin broke the news that he had been given by a staff member — Coughlin was so incredulous he even questioned it — on the flight home Sunday night. If the Giants beat the Ravens and Eagles in their last two games, they clinch a spot in January with a chance to defend their title.

What did that do for Coughlin’s spirits?

“Hope is the word,” he said. “Hope is a nice word.”

That’s good enough for Manning. He has a history of taking the Giants from a low seed —No. 5 in 2007 and No. 4 last season — and taking them all the way to the Canyon of Heroes.

“If you say at the beginning of the season, hey, you have two games left and you got to win both of them to be in the playoffs, I think you take it,” Manning said. “This is an opportunity you ask for. These are the circumstances you want to be in. Could there be better circumstances? Yeah, sure, there could always be better. There could be much worse. We like our chances. We know what we need to do. It’s right in front of us. We got to go out and win the game this week.”

There’s even a scenario where the Giants can clinch a wild-card spot this week if they win in Baltimore and about half of the NFC loses. But they can also be eliminated from the playoffs if they lose, the Cowboys and Redskins win and the Seahawks win or tie. And of course, they can still win the NFC East." Read more...

mike kennedy
12-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Never heard Manning ever fess up to having a crappy game! I have heard Brady and Rogers say it in the past but can't remember Eli ever saying it. It's always golly gee we did some good things, had a fee good drives....yada yada yada..

Rudyy
12-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Eli's tie needs to man up? Who knew! Eli definitely needs to play better, don't know why he's forcing things now, it needs to stop.

giantscolombia
12-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Never heard Manning ever fess up to having a crappy game! I have heard Brady and Rogers say it in the past but can't remember Eli ever saying it. It's always golly gee we did some good things, had a fee good drives....yada yada yada..

its not who he is dude. imo Eli is a quit leader, he will never flat out come out like a leader and say " I messed up, and i will play better" he has hinted at the fact that he can improve but every single pro-athlete will say simple stuff like that except maybe for T.O

giantscolombia
12-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Eli's tie needs to man up? Who knew! Eli definitely needs to play better, don't know why he's forcing things now, it needs to stop.

The ties he wears are somewhat childish... this needs to stop!

lol

:)

Rudyy
12-18-2012, 11:14 AM
The ties he wears are somewhat childish... this needs to stop!lol:)Look at how unMANNly this tie is. http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/6q/eli-manning-zegna-020612-xlg.jpg

mike kennedy
12-18-2012, 12:17 PM
its not who he is dude. imo Eli is a quit leader, he will never flat out come out like a leader and say " I messed up, and i will play better" he has hinted at the fact that he can improve but every single pro-athlete will say simple stuff like that except maybe for T.O

I know he is who he is. It's just frustrating.

Morehead State
12-18-2012, 12:19 PM
So he's not the kind of guy who takes responsibility for his play?
Is that really what you think?

Buddy333
12-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Didn't some other reporter say the same thing last week?

RoanokeFan
12-18-2012, 12:22 PM

You think he owes who what?

RoanokeFan
12-18-2012, 12:23 PM

It's been fixed

stormblue
12-18-2012, 12:40 PM
the fact that Eli has been stinking it up and needs to get it turned around is not a military secret.

on a side note ,,,,how the flying **** does the HC not know the playoff scenarios.
that is the whole god-damned purpose of playing the regular season.
he should have had his bean counters telling him exactly WTF the playoff situation was as soon the clock struck zero.
just another one of those aggravating little things that enrage me about this staff.... ...
i better stop.
we are still in the hunt.....even though the HC has to wait for ESPN to let him know it.

Rusty192
12-18-2012, 01:14 PM
Eli's tie needs to man up? Who knew! Eli definitely needs to play better, don't know why he's forcing things now, it needs to stop.Our sucktastic gameplan needs to stop.

Rudyy
12-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Our sucktastic gameplan needs to stop.That too. Good heavens..

stormblue
12-18-2012, 01:23 PM
http://boards.giants.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Rudyy http://boards.giants.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?p=626355#post626355)
"Our sucktastic gameplan needs to stop."

D)...all of the above.

Rusty192
12-18-2012, 01:24 PM
That too. Good heavens..Mostly just how we gameplan and we'll be fine. Although I hope these injuries aren't too much.

GameTime
12-18-2012, 01:27 PM
I have heard Eli saying he has to play better football and improve his game. He says it all the time

GameTime
12-18-2012, 01:28 PM
the fact that Eli has been stinking it up and needs to get it turned around is not a military secret.

on a side note ,,,,how the flying **** does the HC not know the playoff scenarios.
he should have had his bean counters telling him exactly WTF the playoff situation was as soon the clock struck zero.
just another one of those aggravating little things that enrage me about this staff.... ...
i better stop.
we are still in the hunt.....even though the HC has to wait for ESPN to let him know it.
Gianst ahd the first game. He didnt know the out come of the Dallas game yet or the Vikes game maybe.
Easy Bro......

RoanokeFan
12-18-2012, 01:30 PM

i better stop.

Serious question. What does that matter? His philosophy is to win the game in front of you. He said five weeks ago we "need" to win the last four games. That was not accurate in terms of making the playoffs. He believes they need to win every gamer they play.

dillyyo1972
12-18-2012, 01:44 PM

I've heard Eli take blame, but he, like most of the Giant players, speak in 'politically correct' terms. Eli will never point out any one person, including himself, because Tom's philosophy is all about team. Just how I see it.

stormblue
12-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Gianst ahd the first game. He didnt know the out come of the Dallas game yet or the Vikes game maybe.
Easy Bro......

those 2 games both went against us anyway...our playoff chances would have been even better had D or M lost.
he should know this......he should want to know this.
and i know i'm being picky.....but after 9 years of these stupid little things from a coach i don't like anyway.....
and another 2nd half season collapse........i'm getting aggravated.
hey ...i saw you venting the other day.....i'm not perfect.....i am a sore ****ing loser.
and i play a little guitar too,....

stormblue
12-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Serious question. What does that matter? His philosophy is to win the game in front of you. He said five weeks ago we "need" to win the last four games. That was not accurate in terms of making the playoffs. He believes they need to win every gamer they play.

now , you yourself are using coach-speak.

let me interpret it......he does not know the playoff situation.....and never did.
and winning the game in front of him hasn't been working very well lately either.

even Sexy Rexy knew the ramifications before the game last night.

i'm sorry Roanoke...making the playoffs is his #1 job.
not knowing how you stand in that regard as a HC is inexcusable.
no offense , but your company line will not hold up on this one.

RoanokeFan
12-18-2012, 02:06 PM
now , you yourself are using coach-speak.

let me interpret it......he does not know the playoff situation.....and never did.
and winning the game in front of him hasn't been working very well lately either.

even Sexy Rexy knew the ramifications before the game last night.

i'm sorry Roanoke...making the playoffs is his #1 job.
not knowing how you stand in that regard as a HC is inexcusable.
no offense , but your company line will not hold up on this one.

We don't know what else he knew when he made that comment. And it really doesn't matter

Ray Handley was the kind of coach who could recite all of that carp off the tops of his head.

GameTime
12-18-2012, 02:06 PM
those 2 games both went against us anyway...our playoff chances would have been even better had D or M lost.
he should know this......he should want to know this.
and i know i'm being picky.....but after 9 years of these stupid little things from a coach i don't like anyway.....
and another 2nd half season collapse........i'm getting aggravated.
hey ...i saw you venting the other day.....i'm not perfect.....i am a sore ****ing loser.
and i play a little guitar too,....
vent a way my brother....and rock on.....
You like the blues????