PDA

View Full Version : Rookies

Toadofsteel
12-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Why is it that across the league, so many rookies are having success, yet our team stifles them so much? Honestly, it's our veterans lack of passion for the game that's killing our team, yet the same people are the ones sent on to the field week in and week out. Meanwhile, you have playoff rookie QBs in Luck, RG3, and Russel Wilson, you have tremendous runners in Doug Martin, Alfred Morris, and our own David Wilson. And yet, we have an allergy to youth. Or, more accurately, TC has an allergy to youth.

TroyArcher
12-18-2012, 10:47 AM
You have a short memory. Giants rookies contributed big time the last two playoff runs.

Buddy333
12-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Eli was the first pick in the draft and he isn't start. Everyone wanted Wilson to start and he showed h s not ready for the role yet. It does NOT mean he is a bust.

EliDaMANning
12-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Eli was the first pick in the draft and he isn't start. Everyone wanted Wilson to start and he showed h s not ready for the role yet. It does NOT mean he is a bust.He didn't mention anything about Wilson being a bust. He asked why they aren't contributing as much as other rookies seem to across the league. The answer is pretty simple, it's our coaching staff.

Toadofsteel
12-18-2012, 10:59 AM
He didn't mention anything about Wilson being a bust. He asked why they aren't contributing as much as other rookies seem to across the league. The answer is pretty simple, it's our coaching staff.

Exactly. We get Eli Manning in the draft and what do we do? Get Kurt Warner to play babysitter. This has been going on for a long time. And then when injury forces our rookies onto the field (like in 2007), we end up on fire.

And no, Wilson is no bust. He's the real deal, and yet he gets benched for a guy off the street because he's a goddamn rookie.

This allergy to youth needs to stop, and it won't ever stop while Old Man Coughlin is around. Let the rookies sink or swim right out the gate. That way we're not dragging a guy that ends up being true bust (barden, for example) for 4 years...

Buddy333
12-18-2012, 11:01 AM
He didn't mention anything about Wilson being a bust. He asked why they aren't contributing as much as other rookies seem to across the league. The answer is pretty simple, it's our coaching staff.You mean the two time Super Bowl winning coaching staff? Shouldn't we trust them by now? Wilson will be fine but Bradshaw is better right now. Randle will be fine but Hixon is better right now.

Buddy333
12-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Exactly. We get Eli Manning in the draft and what do we do? Get Kurt Warner to play babysitter. This has been going on for a long time. And then when injury forces our rookies onto the field (like in 2007), we end up on fire.And no, Wilson is no bust. He's the real deal, and yet he gets benched for a guy off the street because he's a goddamn rookie.This allergy to youth needs to stop, and it won't ever stop while Old Man Coughlin is around. Let the rookies sink or swim right out the gate. That way we're not dragging a guy that ends up being true bust (barden, for example) for 4 years...He got benched because he got blown up trying to block. That s why when healthy Bradshaw is the man they go to.

RoanokeFan
12-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Why is it that across the league, so many rookies are having success, yet our team stifles them so much? Honestly, it's our veterans lack of passion for the game that's killing our team, yet the same people are the ones sent on to the field week in and week out. Meanwhile, you have playoff rookie QBs in Luck, RG3, and Russel Wilson, you have tremendous runners in Doug Martin, Alfred Morris, and our own David Wilson. And yet, we have an allergy to youth. Or, more accurately, TC has an allergy to youth. The last time I read anything about the % of rookies who start I believe the number was 13. Wilson started Sunday and I honestly thought he was going to get hurt blocking. He needs to play in rotation with someone else until his blocking improves, which it will.

VBGiantsFan
12-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Why is it that across the league, so many rookies are having success, yet our team stifles them so much? Honestly, it's our veterans lack of passion for the game that's killing our team, yet the same people are the ones sent on to the field week in and week out. Meanwhile, you have playoff rookie QBs in Luck, RG3, and Russel Wilson, you have tremendous runners in Doug Martin, Alfred Morris, and our own David Wilson. And yet, we have an allergy to youth. Or, more accurately, TC has an allergy to youth.

What it really comes down to is, the players play for teams that drafted for need. We always draft talent. To address your listed players:

Andrew Luck is an amazing player and number 1 pick.

RGIII is an amazing player in a system taylor made just for him and was the number 2 pick.

Doug Martin was supposed to be better than Wilson coming out and shock of all shock, he is. That's why Tampa took him before us.

Alfred Morris is great, and it shows that RBs really don't need to be first round picks. There are A LOT of good running backs in college and you don't need to spend a pick in the first 2 rounds to get one. He also has the benefit of the pistole formation with RGIII and Shannahan's GREAT zone blocking line. Don't forget, Shannahan in Denver made no named RBs into 1000 yard runners and probowlers.

Toadofsteel
12-18-2012, 11:08 AM
The last time I read anything about the % of rookies who start I believe the number was 13. Wilson started Sunday and I honestly thought he was going to get hurt blocking. He needs to play in rotation with someone else until his blocking improves, which it will.

I'm not saying make him pure starter like last week (which was by necessity)... I'm saying at least get them on the damn field for a series or three. Before the Saints game, Wilson had something like 2 carries average per game.

The best example I can think of as to how to execute this (before he got hurt) was Markus Kuhn. Rotational DT, played well when he was on the field. Actually seemed like he cared. Yet that was by injury necessity too. We're never going to see Adrien Robinson this year unless Bennett tears his ACL (which for the record I hope he doesn't).

RoanokeFan
12-18-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm not saying make him pure starter like last week (which was by necessity)... I'm saying at least get them on the damn field for a series or three. Before the Saints game, Wilson had something like 2 carries average per game.

The best example I can think of as to how to execute this (before he got hurt) was Markus Kuhn. Rotational DT, played well when he was on the field. Actually seemed like he cared. Yet that was by injury necessity too. We're never going to see Adrien Robinson this year unless Bennett tears his ACL (which for the record I hope he doesn't).

Even if Bradshaw returns, Wilson will be getting more carries. He has to block better and that's just evident by what on Sunday. It's not a fatal flaw, he has to learn.

BigBlue wins
12-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Even if Bradshaw returns, Wilson will be getting more carries. He has to block better and that's just evident by what on Sunday. It's not a fatal flaw, he has to learn.

It was his technique. He is too high when he attempts to block. Being too high resulted in him being pushed back like that. Look at when Bradshaw blocks, he goes much lower than Wilson.

It is fixable for Wilson to block better, he just needs to fine tune it so he doesn't commit a chop block.

Toadofsteel
12-18-2012, 12:09 PM
It was his technique. He is too high when he attempts to block. Being too high resulted in him being pushed back like that. Look at when Bradshaw blocks, he goes much lower than Wilson.

It is fixable for Wilson to block better, he just needs to fine tune it so he doesn't commit a chop block.

I just look at the fact that he correctly found his assignments as a good first step. It shows he's learning...

GameTime
12-18-2012, 12:35 PM
stop already......

RoanokeFan
12-18-2012, 12:38 PM

That's what I was trying top say yesterday when I incorrectly said it was his "angle." He doesn't get any lean into his blocks. He doesn't have to talke the defender down to the turf to be effective. A one or two second delay is all thatf's required.

fansince69
12-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Could it possibly be that other teams do not have quality players to block rookies from playing that the world champs might have?

BigBlue wins
12-18-2012, 01:26 PM
That's what I was trying top say yesterday when I incorrectly said it was his "angle." He doesn't get any lean into his blocks. He doesn't have to tackle the defender down to the turf to be effective. A one or two second delay is all that's required.

It's just a matter of being lower. Angle is kind of right, but its the leverage here that he needs to work on. It's saying the same thing basically though.

GameTime
12-18-2012, 01:29 PM
That's what I was trying top say yesterday when I incorrectly said it was his "angle." He doesn't get any lean into his blocks. He doesn't have to talke the defender down to the turf to be effective. A one or two second delay is all thatf's required.
Hynoski said it last year about himself. He said his techique for blocking was all wrong for the NFL. In college he could just muscle defenders in the NFL he said he couldnt. So he schooled himself and learned proper technique. Wilson is still learning

TheShouldersOf
12-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Exactly. We get Eli Manning in the draft and what do we do? Get Kurt Warner to play babysitter. This has been going on for a long time. And then when injury forces our rookies onto the field (like in 2007), we end up on fire.

And no, Wilson is no bust. He's the real deal, and yet he gets benched for a guy off the street because he's a goddamn rookie.

This allergy to youth needs to stop, and it won't ever stop while Old Man Coughlin is around. Let the rookies sink or swim right out the gate. That way we're not dragging a guy that ends up being true bust (barden, for example) for 4 years...

I highly concur,

If you are the head coach and offensive coordinator, and you know Wilson has to be your starter don't you think you go 'Lets get a Stretch play in there, lets get a screen pass, lets get some more tosses' instead they do one toss for 25 yards and never do it again, no Stretch plays, no outside runs, just the same old inside tackle and draws

seriously what kind of 'Offensive Game Plan' is that? horrid planning,

Bradshaw is not healthy, and not the answer, he has missed his share of blocks, he is average at running back, he may be a better blocker than he is a running back, but he has still missed quite a few did he get taken out? Brown got Eli sacked in Carolina, and missed a couple assignments later on, and was herald as the best running back on the team

it seems the Coaches would rather rely on people who they don't have to coach and develop regardless of their talent and or injuries see Nicks and Bradshaw

Cloud57
12-18-2012, 01:55 PM
This team has no energy, they all look lethargic even the rookies.

Toadofsteel
12-18-2012, 09:47 PM
I highly concur,

If you are the head coach and offensive coordinator, and you know Wilson has to be your starter don't you think you go 'Lets get a Stretch play in there, lets get a screen pass, lets get some more tosses' instead they do one toss for 25 yards and never do it again, no Stretch plays, no outside runs, just the same old inside tackle and draws

seriously what kind of 'Offensive Game Plan' is that? horrid planning,

Bradshaw is not healthy, and not the answer, he has missed his share of blocks, he is average at running back, he may be a better blocker than he is a running back, but he has still missed quite a few did he get taken out? Brown got Eli sacked in Carolina, and missed a couple assignments later on, and was herald as the best running back on the team

it seems the Coaches would rather rely on people who they don't have to coach and develop regardless of their talent and or injuries see Nicks and Bradshaw

It's a sign of senility to be honest... our coaching staff can't adapt to what they have available. Trying to force Wilson to be Bradshaw was the mistake made in the game plan, especially when you knew that Bradshaw was likely to be out. It sounds to me like TC and Killdrive want to set up their rookies to fail sometimes, just so they can say to the fans "he's not that good" and proceed to use the old worn out guys more.

TheShouldersOf
12-19-2012, 12:28 AM
I do concur, and have said the same

JMGGIANTS
12-19-2012, 01:09 AM
[QUOTE=Toadofsteel;627240]It's a sign of senility to be honest... our coaching staff can't adapt to what they have available. Trying to force Wilson to be Bradshaw was the mistake made in the game plan, especially when you knew that Bradshaw was likely to be out. It sounds to me like TC and Killdrive want to set up their rookies to fail sometimes, just so they can say to the fans "he's not that good" and proceed to use the old worn out guys more.[/QUOTE

Sign of senility??? You really think that is a mature and honest reason? Did TC's alleged senility kick in before our Super Bowl run last year? Maybe some respect for the man who leads our team by example both on and off the field? TC and KG want to set-up the rookies to faiL? Yeah makes sense to me LOL.

GiantRoc
12-19-2012, 02:08 AM
I can't believe anyone on the staff wants anyone to fail. However, experience is the best teacher. It's a shame Wilson had to wait until the 14th game to get pass pickup experience. Then he gets yanked for bad form. How could they expect any other outcome? He should have put in pass protection mode at least once a game since week one. Seems pulling him was all wrong to me.

EliDaMANning
12-19-2012, 09:29 AM
You mean the two time Super Bowl winning coaching staff? Shouldn't we trust them by now? Wilson will be fine but Bradshaw is better right now. Randle will be fine but Hixon is better right now.David Diehl has 2 SB wins he's quite possibly the worst player in the NFL.