PDA

View Full Version : Is there any chance Spags re-signs as our DC, after we repeat as Super Bowl champs?

NYG4lifeNYK
12-18-2012, 01:56 PM
I seriously think if we make the playoffs we can flip a switch and run the table, I absolutely do. We dominated the 49ers and Packers this year. We play the best of the best with our best and our best is better than anyone's best no matter how good they are (lol) :)

Will Spags be let go in N.O. or does he get another year or two? Say WHATEVER you want about Spags but I would take him back in an absolute ****ing H-E-A-R-T-B-E-A-T...... some of you can call him overrated or whatever you want but I would welcome him back with open arms, a bucket of coronas, a bottle of crown royal reserve and I'd let him punch Gilbride in the face whenever he got mad.

Fewell is not a good DC. He's schemes are far too inconsistent and lackluster. At times for about 3-4 games a season he can call an absolute genius game plan. It's the other 10+ games we're left wondering what the ****?
His once thought of as exuberant enthusiasm no longer does anything for me anymore watching this defense play. This crap about players playing hard for him has now become a fallacy or an urban legend in Buffalo.

Fewell has no answers. All he says is we need to do this, do that and we need to play better. Yea no kidding.

GameTime
12-18-2012, 02:10 PM
why....I am not Spags worshiper at all. I like the guy and he had success while he was here but there is not reason to think he is a DC guru, genius, or any other great thing like that. he had two good years......thats it

G-MENBK
12-18-2012, 02:11 PM
In all honestly, I'd love to get Ryan as our DC.

RoanokeFan
12-18-2012, 02:11 PM
How do you ship Fewell out after winning?

Kruunch
12-18-2012, 02:12 PM
In all honestly, I'd love to get Ryan as our DC.

I would LOVE REX Ryan as our DC.

But I seriously doubt the Jets fire him, the Giants front office puts up with him and/or we shift to a 3-4 defense.

P.S. - The OP is smoking crack.

G-MENBK
12-18-2012, 02:16 PM

But I seriously doubt the Jets fire him, the Giants front office puts up with him and/or we shift to a 3-4 defense.

I think they do. His coaching approach is "let the inmates run the asylum," and his pet project - Sanchez - has been a colossal failure. I just don't think Ryan posses the same passion for both sides of the ball like he does for defense.

GameTime
12-18-2012, 02:16 PM
tell him they want to move in a different direction.....

RoanokeFan
12-18-2012, 02:17 PM
tell him they want to move in a different direction.....

AH HA Madden has sure produced some fine head coaching material

gumby74
12-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Spags may or may not be a good dco-ordinator, but he's a lot better than what we've had after he left.

njg85m
12-18-2012, 02:44 PM

P.S. - The OP is smoking crack.

I highly doubt with the way he carries himself that Rex would allow himself to be "demoted".

Kruunch
12-18-2012, 02:47 PM
I highly doubt with the way he carries himself that Rex would allow himself to be "demoted".

You mean if he got fired, he wouldn't take a DC job that was offered? I think you're dead wrong there. In my mind, he's a DC for life and I'm not sure he'd get another HC offer right away. And he doesn't have the SB ring to rest his laurels on the way Gruden and Cowher do.

Buddy333
12-18-2012, 02:51 PM
So lets get this right. They repeat and fire their DC? Might as well get a new OC too. Why not fire TC while they are at it?

njg85m
12-18-2012, 02:56 PM
You mean if he got fired, he wouldn't take a DC job that was offered? I think you're dead wrong there. In my mind, he's a DC for life and I'm not sure he'd get another HC offer right away. And he doesn't have the SB ring to rest his laurels on the way Gruden and Cowher do.

I'd love him as a DC too. He is a fine example of someone who is a terrific coordinator yet not very good of a HC.

I just think Rex would hold out for a HC position rather than, in his mind, take a step backward and become a coordinator again.

He may accept a DC position though. And the interesting thing is that if that happens it's very likely that this time next year Rob is a HC while Rex is a DC. Quite ironic.

njg85m
12-18-2012, 02:57 PM
So lets get this right. They repeat and fire their DC? Might as well get a new OC too. Why not fire TC while they are at it?

Pretty much /thread right there.
As Buddy stated, Why exactly would Perry be fired if we repeat as world champs? Not gonna happen.

RoanokeFan
12-18-2012, 03:00 PM

I would guess we have a basic case of not understanding the organization's philosophy of continuity. I always wondered how involved John Mara was in the day-to-day football operation. And then, within the last few days, buried in an article about how they decide an injured player gets to play again, there was a line or two that included the final decision is made on Friday in a meeting of TC, Reese and John Mara.

I don't know what else he gets to have the last word on but I am pretty sure TC and Reese aren't operating in a vacuum.

Kruunch
12-18-2012, 03:01 PM
I'd love him as a DC too. He is a fine example of someone who is a terrific coordinator yet not very good of a HC.

I just think Rex would hold out for a HC position rather than, in his mind, take a step backward and become a coordinator again.

He may accept a DC position though. And the interesting thing is that if that happens it's very likely that this time next year Rob is a HC while Rex is a DC. Quite ironic.

Rob Ryan as a HC ..... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ... that might be the best comedy show of all time. I'd pay good money to see Rob Ryan succeed Rex as the coach of the Jets. Hell, I might get Jets season tickets if that happens.

Buddy Ryan took a DC job after being an HC, so I don't think Rex would have problems that way.

DandyDon
12-18-2012, 03:04 PM

LOL. Yeah, so we win the SB and then fire our DC?

Too funny. Gotta hand it to these posters, there are some really "entertaining" threads these days. Think before you press post...

bearbryant
12-18-2012, 03:05 PM
What a thread, wait... We win the SB, fire the DC, re hire the DC from years ago and while we're at it lets put a losing DC in as HC. Wow!
The only part of that I like is winning the S.B. The rest of the theory is pretty far out. But, I like the creativity! Go Giants!

njg85m
12-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Rob Ryan as a HC ..... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA ... that might be the best comedy show of all time. I'd pay good money to see Rob Ryan succeed Rex as the coach of the Jets. Hell, I might get Jets season tickets if that happens.

Buddy Ryan took a DC job after being an HC, so I don't think Rex would have problems that way.

Depending on what the Cowboys do or don't do for the rest of the year I say it's VEEEERY likely that team winds up promoting him.

GMENAGAIN
12-18-2012, 03:39 PM

Was wondering how long it would tae for someone to ask that!

Toadofsteel
12-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Because Spags was totally able to stop us, even knowing killdrive's playbook...

Kruunch
12-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Depending on what the Cowboys do or don't do for the rest of the year I say it's VEEEERY likely that team winds up promoting him.

ROFL ... that'd even be better then him as HC on the Jets!

Oh from your lips to JJ's ears.

gmen0820
12-18-2012, 04:18 PM
Why fire Fewell if we repeat?

TheEnigma
12-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Spags isn't coming back...let it go.

Mercury
12-18-2012, 04:24 PM
the OP didn't say to fire Fewell. I bet he's thinking Fewell will be snatched up as a HC.

Giggles2013
12-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Letting go of Perry Fool would be a step in the right direction. His high school prevent defense scheme can only go so far.

gmen0820
12-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Letting go of Perry Fool would be a step in the right direction. His high school prevent defense scheme can only go so far.A SB in his second year?

Morehead State
12-18-2012, 04:45 PM
A SB in his second year?
BTW...Morehead is sorry.

Giggles2013
12-18-2012, 04:49 PM
A SB in his second year?
His scheme consists of defensive lineman beating double and triple teams and everyone else playing zone. It works when the pass rushers are playing well but they are not anymore due to age, injuries, and too much time at the buffet table (JPP). He needs to adjust but is incapable of. I wish I would take over as DC for a game or two. Teach Perry Fool a thing or two about NFL defenses.

gmen0820
12-18-2012, 04:52 PM
BTW...Morehead is sorry.**** off morehead!

RoanokeFan
12-18-2012, 04:53 PM

If his contract isn't expiring, they will pay him to sit on his couch until it does.

gmen0820
12-18-2012, 04:56 PM
It works when the pass rushers are playing well Hmm so you're telling me, that in order for Perry Fewell's scheme to work, his players have to play well? Specifically the DL?

VBGiantsFan
12-18-2012, 04:58 PM
In all honesty, if you compare Spags team vs. our team, it's an unfair assessment:

Strahan > JPP
Osi then > >>>Osi now
Tuck then >>>> Tuck now
AP > Blackburn
Mitchell << Boley (but Spags actually blitzed)
Webster then >> Webster now
Aaron Ross then = Prince

Safeties = Safeties (I think Wilson was great to be honest, but I know there are tons of KP fans on here so I won't argue)

The difference in schemes is less the zone vs m2m, and more that Spags would dial up pressure from his lbs if he saw his line wasn't getting it done. Fewelll prefers to sit back in an all zone cover 3 and hope the front 4 do something.

Giggles2013
12-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Hmm so you're telling me, that in order for Perry Fewell's scheme to work, his players have to play well? Specifically the DL?
Precisely. And when they are no longer capable of beating double teams he plays the soft zone...essentially praying that the opponent would make a mistake when they are marching down the field. He runs a weak and soft scheme.

ozzie0075
12-18-2012, 05:15 PM
People do realize Spags hasn't been able to coach his way out a paper bag since he left.

ELI_HOF_NYG
12-18-2012, 05:16 PM
I seriously think if we make the playoffs we can flip a switch and run the table, I absolutely do. We dominated the 49ers and Packers this year. We play the best of the best with our best and our best is better than anyone's best no matter how good they are (lol) :)

Will Spags be let go in N.O. or does he get another year or two? Say WHATEVER you want about Spags but I would take him back in an absolute ****ing H-E-A-R-T-B-E-A-T...... some of you can call him overrated or whatever you want but I would welcome him back with open arms, a bucket of coronas, a bottle of crown royal reserve and I'd let him punch Gilbride in the face whenever he got mad.

Fewell is not a good DC. He's schemes are far too inconsistent and lackluster. At times for about 3-4 games a season he can call an absolute genius game plan. It's the other 10+ games we're left wondering what the ****?
His once thought of as exuberant enthusiasm no longer does anything for me anymore watching this defense play. This crap about players playing hard for him has now become a fallacy or an urban legend in Buffalo.

Fewell has no answers. All he says is we need to do this, do that and we need to play better. Yea no kidding.

boy you sure are optimistic,,,this team doesn't look capable of beating my high school team right now,,nevermind repeating as super bowl champs.

gmen0820
12-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Precisely. And when they are no longer capable of beating double teams he plays the soft zone...essentially praying that the opponent would make a mistake when they are marching down the field. He runs a weak and soft scheme.Wait, so when the players start playing poorly, his scheme is poor? Wow, I'm shocked.

stormblue
12-18-2012, 05:23 PM
I would guess we have a basic case of not understanding the organization's philosophy of continuity. I always wondered how involved John Mara was in the day-to-day football operation. And then, within the last few days, buried in an article about how they decide an injured player gets to play again, there was a line or two that included the final decision is made on Friday in a meeting of TC, Reese and John Mara.

I don't know what else he gets to have the last word on but I am pretty sure TC and Reese aren't operating in a vacuum.

damnit RF....i wish you hadn't told us that........now i gotta start bangin' on Mara too ?
no rest for the weary.

stormblue
12-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Because Spags was totally able to stop us, even knowing killdrive's playbook...

gotta be one of the best smacks this year ......ROFLMAO !!

I Bleed Blue
12-18-2012, 06:16 PM
why....I am not Spags worshiper at all. I like the guy and he had success while he was here but there is not reason to think he is a DC guru, genius, or any other great thing like that. he had two good years......thats it

This makes no sense. He was only with us for two seasons and the defense each time was a top 10 defense. The second year was with Strahan retiring and Osi missing the entire season. That in itself speaks volumes. The Saints and the Rams just didn't have the personnel to run his scheme. I would love to have him back. The gutless puke we have now as a D coordinator is atrocious.

Morehead State
12-18-2012, 06:17 PM
**** off morehead!
That's OK...I wasn't really sorry.

YATittle1962
12-18-2012, 06:20 PM
hey!!! maybe Belichick will come back ......

dillyyo1972
12-18-2012, 07:25 PM
In all honesty, if you compare Spags team vs. our team, it's an unfair assessment:

Strahan > JPP
Osi then > >>>Osi now
Tuck then >>>> Tuck now
AP > Blackburn
Aaron Ross then = Prince

Safeties = Safeties (I think Wilson was great to be honest, but I know there are tons of KP fans on here so I won't argue)

The difference in schemes is less the zone vs m2m, and more that Spags would dial up pressure from his lbs if he saw his line wasn't getting it done. Fewelll prefers to sit back in an all zone cover 3 and hope the front 4 do something.

I think Fewell's lack of blitzing has more to do with the lack of back end health/skills we've had present on the field for any significant time. I agree that Spags blitzed more because thta's what Johnson's defense was predicated on, but I think Fewell would blitz more than he has if he felt the back end could hold up.

NYG4lifeNYK
12-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Why do people act like being a HC has anything to do with being a DC?

Spags is a very good DC. He has no talent in N.O. and the HC gig didn't work out for him. We have a TON of talent on this team but Perry Fewell can't seem to highlight it.

Why would we fire him? Maybe because we have more freaking defensive lapses than any team in the league. We give up SO many big plays, can't stop the run, can't rush the passer, can't stop the pass.....

GMENAGAIN
12-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Why do people act like being a HC has anything to do with being a DC?

Spags is a very good DC. He has no talent in N.O. and the HC gig didn't work out for him. We have a TON of talent on this team but Perry Fewell can't seem to highlight it.

Why would we fire him? Maybe because we have more freaking defensive lapses than any team in the league. We give up SO many big plays, can't stop the run, can't rush the passer, can't stop the pass.....

Stop it. This thread is ridiculous.

Under no scenario would our DC by fired after we won 2 straight SB's . . . . .

gumby74
12-18-2012, 11:13 PM

Strahan > JPP
Osi then > >>>Osi now
Tuck then >>>> Tuck now
AP > Blackburn
Aaron Ross then = Prince

Our defense was even better in 2008. No Strahan. No Wilson. No Mitchell. Instead we had Dockery, Johnson, and Butler, and Danny Clark. Remember?

Redeyejedi
12-18-2012, 11:25 PM
This makes no sense. He was only with us for two seasons and the defense each time was a top 10 defense. The second year was with Strahan retiring and Osi missing the entire season. That in itself speaks volumes. The Saints and the Rams just didn't have the personnel to run his scheme. I would love to have him back. The gutless puke we have now as a D coordinator is atrocious. No they werent the year they won the Super Bowl the Defense was ranked 21st

Redeyejedi
12-18-2012, 11:26 PM
I think Fewell's lack of blitzing has more to do with the lack of back end health/skills we've had present on the field for any significant time. I agree that Spags blitzed more because thta's what Johnson's defense was predicated on, but I think Fewell would blitz more than he has if he felt the back end could hold up. U cant blitz when your Deep safety is hurt and your CB's suck. Plus you play a lot of mobile QB's u cant turn the LB's and CB's backs at the QB. I hate to break it to u guys but the problem is talent. Im hoping they can squeeze whats left out of Tuck and Osi because if they cant not only will this team not win the SuperBowl but they arent making the playoffs

ozzie0075
12-19-2012, 12:28 AM
No they werent the year they won the Super Bowl the Defense was ranked 21st

Bingo plus the stars on this defense are aging. Saying Spags would significantly improve this defensive group is questionable at best,

GMENAGAIN
12-19-2012, 07:39 AM
U cant blitz when your Deep safety is hurt and your CB's suck. Plus you play a lot of mobile QB's u cant turn the LB's and CB's backs at the QB. I hate to break it to u guys but the problem is talent. Im hoping they can squeeze whats left out of Tuck and Osi because if they cant not only will this team not win the SuperBowl but they arent making the playoffs

Bingo.

To me, one of the main reasons that we have been so up and down this season is that the play of Tuck and Osi just fell off a cliff this year.