PDA

View Full Version : AP Doesn't Think Giants Make Playoffs

45Jones
12-18-2012, 01:06 PM
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/newyork/play?id=8756567

He's closer to the key players than any of us, and hard to argue with his logic.

GameTime
12-18-2012, 01:08 PM
has nothing to do with his relationship with the players. Watch the last few weeks....not a hard assumption to have.
If I had to bet money I wouod say they wont be it in either. I want them to and I will be rooting my *** off but I have big time doubts....

G-MENBK
12-18-2012, 01:08 PM
has nothing to do with his relationship with the players. Watch the last few weeks....not a hard assumption to have.
If I had to bet money I wouod say they wont be it in either. I want them to and I will be rooting my *** off but I have big time doubts....

Same feeling and attitude here.

45Jones
12-18-2012, 01:12 PM
I would be happy to be wrong...

The only reason I mentioned his relationship to the players is because it adds weight to his POV.

Kruunch
12-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Good interview and I tend to agree with him.

GameTime
12-18-2012, 01:15 PM

The only reason I mentioned his relationship to the players is because it adds weight to his POV.

thats true.....and yes...I hope he is wrong and me as well.

DarkSaint
12-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Chi is in a free fall, Seattle looks scary but they still have to play the Whiners. RG3 is still hurt, they have a good chance to lose to the cowboys. THE Cowboys may not beat the saints this weekend. We win and we are in simple as that. I'd like to win the east but we are making the playoffs.

VBGiantsFan
12-18-2012, 01:17 PM

Very insightful. I liked hearing about the Eli vs Assante Samuel dynamic. Coughiln warned to never throw short against him because he sits on routes. Eli did just that on the second play of the game.

About JPP: He had 16 sack last season. He's not going to get single blockers anymore. "Welcome to stardome"...so true

About Tuck: Hasn't been Tuck for the past 3 seasons. He's not there for his team on the sidelines and on big plays during the game.

About Osi: He's just a situational 3rd down pass rusher

About the secondary: basically they suck

BuffyBlueII
12-18-2012, 01:18 PM
If I were to make a bet then I would have to agree with him.

I am really hoping I am wrong and that NY Giants surprise us.

GameTime
12-18-2012, 01:19 PM
Chi is in a free fall, Seattle looks scary but they still have to play the Whiners. RG3 is still hurt, they have a good chance to lose to the cowboys. THE Cowboys may not beat the saints this weekend. We win and we are in simple as that. I'd like to win the east but we are making the playoffs.
Not for nothing but did you think the Giants would beat Atlanta last week??? I did...
The Skins won without RG. Cowboys may not beat the Saints....so that is like saying they may beat the Saints. Niners are beatable.....

RoanokeFan
12-18-2012, 01:19 PM

STOP! There is to be no hope :rolleyes:

Kruunch
12-18-2012, 01:20 PM
Not for nothing but did you think the Giants would beat Atlanta last week??? I did...
The Skins won without RG. Cowboys may not beat the Saints....so that is like saying they may beat the Saints. Niners are beatable.....

What scares me about the Giants is their lack of physical play this year.

They just get flat pushed around (some notable exceptions this year but few and far between).

45Jones
12-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Very insightful. I liked hearing about the Eli vs Assante Samuel dynamic. Coughiln warned to never throw short against him because he sits on routes. Eli did just that on the second play of the game.

After watching Samuel eat Eli's lunch over the years, I said many, many really bad words after that one. Much repentance was required...

GameTime
12-18-2012, 01:23 PM
What scares me about the Giants is their lack of physical play this year.

They just get flat pushed around (some notable exceptions this year but few and far between).

something like 18 tackles missed vs the Falcons. Chase may miss tackles but its not for a lack of trying or effort. There are maybe a handful of Giants that play all out every down every game. They need to increase that number drastically starting this week

gmen0820
12-18-2012, 01:31 PM
Yup and as soon as we do he will claim he just wanted to fire us up.

Kruunch
12-18-2012, 01:33 PM
something like 18 tackles missed vs the Falcons. Chase may miss tackles but its not for a lack of trying or effort. There are maybe a handful of Giants that play all out every down every game. They need to increase that number drastically starting this week

Chase's problem is shedding blocks. If he gets squared up he gets taken out of the play. But yeah he's all effort all the time (which is what I love about him).

The slap tackles by the other guys are killing me though. I've seen Kiwi, Boley, Paysinger, Joseph, Bernard, Kuhn, Canty, Rolle and Austin all throwing out these one armed efforts this year. It's like everyone forgot the basics of wrapping up. That, if nothing else, is the problem I have with Fewell. Get your house in order.

GameTime
12-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Chase's problem is shedding blocks. If he gets squared up he gets taken out of the play. But yeah he's all effort all the time (which is what I love about him).

The slap tackles by the other guys are killing me though. I've seen Kiwi, Boley, Paysinger, Joseph, Bernard, Kuhn, Canty, Rolle and Austin all throwing out these one armed efforts this year. It's like everyone forgot the basics of wrapping up. That, if nothing else, is the problem I have with Fewell. Get your house in order.

Yes Chase does get tied up but its not because he is dancing with is blocker like Tuck seems to do. As far as tackling technique...it absolutley sucks throughout the entire NFL for the most part. Most DBs want to lay hard shoulder hits without wrapping up and poor wrap up from the inside defenders.

Kruunch
12-18-2012, 01:43 PM
Yes Chase does get tied up but its not because he is dancing with is blocker like Tuck seems to do. As far as tackling technique...it absolutley sucks throughout the entire NFL for the most part. Most DBs want to lay hard shoulder hits without wrapping up and poor wrap up from the inside defenders.

Chase has to learn how to beat the inside holds (he gets held A LOT).

I don't follow other team enough to comment on their tackling day in and day out ... I just know how I was taught to tackle and how I taught tackling and that ain't it.

nycisgreat
12-18-2012, 02:19 PM

+1, I am thinking the same thing too. Washington has all the momentum. They will demolish Philly, and Dallas will also win this weekend. The Ravens are hungry. Flacco has played three terrible consecutive games. I don't think they will take us lightly at all. I say Flacco gets out of his funk this weekend.

GameTime
12-18-2012, 02:22 PM
+1, I am thinking the same thing too. Washington has all the momentum. They will demolish Philly, and Dallas will also win this weekend. The Ravens are hungry. Flacco has played three terrible consecutive games. I don't think they will take us lightly at all. I say Flacco gets out of his funk this weekend.

ehh....I dont know Flacco is getting serious crap from his fan base. He may try to push too much and screw up. I think the Skins win and the Cowboys lose.
The Giants I really couldnt tell you what I think other then I want them to win. I thought they would beat Atlanta......so my guess is all bull****

GameTime
12-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Chase has to learn how to beat the inside holds (he gets held A LOT).

I don't follow other team enough to comment on their tackling day in and day out ... I just know how I was taught to tackle and how I taught tackling and that ain't it.
Dude....you dont watch any other football games other then the Giants??
The tackling definitely sucks overall in the NFL

OrangeGiant
12-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Wow, pretty sobering interview and honestly he makes a LOT of valid points. I do think it isn't a coincidence that the 2 worst games the Giants played this year were againsy Cinci after Sandy and the Falcons game after the tragedy in Newtown. Stuff like that makes a person realize what is truly important in life and both those events hit close to home for a lot of players. They are human, after all.

Pretty telling what he said about Tuck as well, I don't think anyone can disagree with that. I don't know what to expect from the Giants these last two games. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

VBGiantsFan
12-18-2012, 02:37 PM

Part of it is bad tackling but I think a lot of it is trying to force turnovers by stripping the ball instead of just bringing their man down.

GameTime
12-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Wow, pretty sobering interview and honestly he makes a LOT of valid points. I do think it isn't a coincidence that the 2 worst games the Giants played this year were againsy Cinci after Sandy and the Falcons game after the tragedy in Newtown. Stuff like that makes a person realize what is truly important in life and both those events hit close to home for a lot of players. They are human, after all.

Pretty telling what he said about Tuck as well, I don't think anyone can disagree with that. I don't know what to expect from the Giants these last two games. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Jets won after Sandy and not one player admitted to having his game effected by the Newtown incident. If they did admitt that I would be 100% behind them.

GameTime
12-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Part of it is bad tackling but I think a lot of it is trying to force turnovers by stripping the ball instead of just bringing their man down.
yep....you are prob correct

OrangeGiant
12-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Jets won after Sandy and not one player admitted to having his game effected by the Newtown incident. If they did admitt that I would be 100% behind them.

Well I wouldn't expect them to admit that, to be honest. I don't know if they were affected or not, I just think the fact that those were the 2 worst games they played all year makes me wonder.

GameTime
12-18-2012, 02:44 PM
Well I wouldn't expect them to admit that, to be honest. I don't know if they were affected or not, I just think the fact that those were the 2 worst games they played all year makes me wonder.
point taken.....

Kruunch
12-18-2012, 02:47 PM

I watch just not regularly. 49ers seem to have very solid tackling both last year and this year. Pats are much improved in tackling this year (although I didn't catch the game this week so ....). I thought the Texans were excellent in this regard as well until they threw up a clunker last week. The Falcons seem to have solid tackling for half a game. Rams have fairly solid tackling (about the only thing they do right).

Between the Horse Collar and receiver rules, tackling has been reduced back to the basics which some teams lack a lot.

nycisgreat
12-18-2012, 03:19 PM
ehh....I dont know Flacco is getting serious crap from his fan base. He may try to push too much and screw up. I think the Skins win and the Cowboys lose.
The Giants I really couldnt tell you what I think other then I want them to win. I thought they would beat Atlanta......so my guess is all bull****

Flacco is in his contract year, so I think he has to be on his best to get his contract. I don't know about you, but it seems like every team we play bring their A game. Knowing our track record anything that has this weekend nothing wouldn't surprise me. Win or Lose.

GentleGiant
12-18-2012, 03:23 PM

"I did"

And that's your error for thinking a team with 0 running game and struggling recievers would beat a 12-2 in its own field.

And where are people getting this info that the jets won after sandy? They got blown out by the dolphins. Then they had a bye week during sandy. They went on to get blown out by the seahawks(after sandy). They didn't win a game until like 2.5 weeks after sandy was over. So the jets were hit worse by sandy.

GameTime
12-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Flacco is in his contract year, so I think he has to be on his best to get his contract. I don't know about you, but it seems like every team we play bring their A game. Knowing our track record anything that has this weekend nothing wouldn't surprise me. Win or Lose.

no doubt...Giants scare no one at this point. Why would they?? Of course they are cpapable of playing great but that hasnt happened much.

GameTime
12-18-2012, 03:33 PM
"I did"

And that's your error for thinking a team with 0 running game and struggling recievers would beat a 12-2 in its own field.
no....my errror was thinking the Giants would step up and play like the division was on the line. But they didnt.

dezzzR
12-18-2012, 03:40 PM
no....my errror was thinking the Giants would step up and play like the division was on the line. But they didnt.me too.
http://gifs.im/angry-dwight.gif

BMW
12-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Hi the Giants called and said keep counting them out, worked real well before.

Ladder27
12-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Kinda funny how everyone was glad to see Jacobs leave the team. AP even said it. they were getting their asses kicked not one person went to the side line throwing a fit they are playing like ****. I bet if Jacobs was still here you would have heard it from him. We do not have anyone on this team that is vocal. Makes me sick. They can tweet about being dogs till Feb, but they can't play like a dog or bark like one on the field. I respect jacobs cuz he did talk on the field, I'm so did i say talk i mean yell. Show some ****ing emotion on the field GIANTS!

joemorrisforprez
12-18-2012, 04:03 PM
AP was pretty damn honest....they are living in the past.

......wouldn't be surprised if AP is just trying to kick them in the *** to get them going.

G-MENBK
12-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Kinda funny how everyone was glad to see Jacobs leave the team. AP even said it. they were getting their asses kicked not one person went to the side line throwing a fit they are playing like ****. I bet if Jacobs was still here you would have heard it from him. We do not have anyone on this team that is vocal. Makes me sick. They can tweet about being dogs till Feb, but they can't play like a dog or bark like one on the field. I respect jacobs cuz he did talk on the field, I'm so did i say talk i mean yell. Show some ****ing emotion on the field GIANTS!

Another thing, has Coughlin confronted anyone this season?

JesseJames
12-18-2012, 05:32 PM
The tackling definitely sucks overall in the NFL Like most on this board I've been watching football for a lot of years but I have to say that if I see one more player throw his body at a runner or receiver instead of taking the guy on and wrapping up I think I'll scream, whatever became of good solid form tackling. On the other side of this is it must be alright with the coaches because all players are doing this...

mikeq6722
12-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Everything he said was so spot on. Its everything I have felt the last two months or so. Criticizing Tuck, Osi, Coughlin, and Gilbride.

P_Simms_#11
12-18-2012, 07:34 PM
Hard to argue with what he said.

giantsfan420
12-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Yup and as soon as we do he will claim he just wanted to fire us up.lol so true was thinking the same thing. and its funny coming from AP. not saying theres anything wrong with it, hes a talking head now. just funny how things come full circle. during those years with us as a player, AP would be the last person Id think would get into commentary

Jtuck
12-18-2012, 07:56 PM
What he said is on point! This year feels like 2010 all over again! I just don't see this team mentally tough enough to over come this blowout and win 2 games! And if the do some how make it into the playoffs, they are one and done! No team can win a SB playing Jeckyll & Hyde football!

TextureDj
12-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Like most on this board I've been watching football for a lot of years but I have to say that if I see one more player throw his body at a runner or receiver instead of taking the guy on and wrapping up I think I'll scream, whatever became of good solid form tackling. On the other side of this is it must be alright with the coaches because all players are doing this...

ESPN and the constant highlight reel is what happened to good tackling. Blowing up a runner or, stripping the ball, will get you on the TV, it will get your name in the sports media and now worse, the blogosphere.

I even think the fines hurt, dont you think guys like Ndamukomg Suh, or Merriweather like all the hype surrounding these fines? I bet in their minds it is a cost of doing business, raises both their profile and their future contracts.

P_Simms_#11
12-18-2012, 08:33 PM
ESPN and the constant highlight reel is what happened to good tackling. Blowing up a runner or, stripping the ball, will get you on the TV, it will get your name in the sports media and now worse, the blogosphere.

I even think the fines hurt, dont you think guys like Ndamukomg Suh, or Merriweather like all the hype surrounding these fines? I bet in their minds it is a cost of doing business, raises both their profile and their future contracts.

Plus, players are afraid of knee injuries from tackling.