PDA

View Full Version : On how many plays is bennet the first read

appodictic
12-19-2012, 08:42 AM
The one thing I notice about Bennett this year is for many of his catches he has been wide open. Sometimes he is wide open but eli ends up throwing to someone else not as open. I think we need more plays where bennet is the first option.

RoanokeFan
12-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Interesting question. I would think none or very few as he has blocking responsibilities

BlueJayC
12-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Interesting question. I would think none or very few as he has blocking responsibilities

Agreed.....a lot of times he's asked to block then release or at least chip the DE making it difficult for him to be be the first read straight off the line......my guess, unless the play is designed specifically for him like a PA rollout, is that he's the 2nd or 3rd read at best on most plays.

RoanokeFan
12-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Agreed.....a lot of times he's asked to block then release or at least chip the DE making it difficult for him to be be the first read straight off the line......my guess, unless the play is designed specifically for him like a PA rollout, is that he's the 2nd or 3rd read at best on most plays. That sounds about right

TheAnalyst
12-19-2012, 09:34 AM
I'd say zero.

I truely think Eli's first read is waiting for either Nicks or Cruz to break open at least 10 yards down field on every play. 2nd option is the other either Nicks or Cruz 20 yards down the field. The third option is maybe Randle or Hixon about 10-15 yards downfield. Then Bennett, and rarely the occational screen to the RB.

Rudyy
12-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Agreed.....a lot of times he's asked to block then release or at least chip the DE making it difficult for him to be be the first read straight off the line......my guess, unless the play is designed specifically for him like a PA rollout, is that he's the 2nd or 3rd read at best on most plays.Yup. In the Saints game they show him wide open and Eli threw that pass to a double covered Cruz in the end zone.

MustWarnOthers
12-19-2012, 10:35 AM
The guy is pretty athletic and such a big target. It's a shame that our Oline situation is so bad that we rely almost 100% on having a running back in pass protection. We could spread the field out so much if Bennett could catch passes midfield for 10-15 yards that are thrown to a spot that is only reachable by him (even the more athletic linebackers are going vertical with a guy of Bennett's size).

All of our passing plays rely on the RB blocking, the TE blocking and or chipping to even give Eli the slightest hint of a comfortable passing environment.

Kruunch
12-19-2012, 10:40 AM
The one thing I notice about Bennett this year is for many of his catches he has been wide open. Sometimes he is wide open but eli ends up throwing to someone else not as open. I think we need more plays where bennet is the first option.

I think he was limited during the middle of the season with that hyper-extended knee.

I'd like to see him run more short seams and crossing routes.

Toadofsteel
12-19-2012, 10:42 AM
The guy is pretty athletic and such a big target. It's a shame that our Oline situation is so bad that we rely almost 100% on having a running back in pass protection. We could spread the field out so much if Bennett could catch passes midfield for 10-15 yards that are thrown to a spot that is only reachable by him (even the more athletic linebackers are going vertical with a guy of Bennett's size).

All of our passing plays rely on the RB blocking, the TE blocking and or chipping to even give Eli the slightest hint of a comfortable passing environment.

Too bad the one pass that Eli is completely incapable of throwing is the slant. Bennett and Cruz could have a field day running slants like they're Witten and Austin...

FlyingTruck
12-19-2012, 10:44 AM
With our system? Probably only on play actions.

MustWarnOthers
12-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Now that the Giants have started grooming and disciplining Bennett, maybe the Patriots will pick him up from us. They can run a 4 wide TE/WR set with Bennett, Gronk and Hernandez on the outside and Ballard in the slot.

Toadofsteel
12-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Now that the Giants have started grooming and disciplining Bennett, maybe the Patriots will pick him up from us. They can run a 4 wide TE/WR set with Bennett, Gronk and Hernandez on the outside and Ballard in the slot.

No they're going to pick up David Wilson and turn him into a pro bowler...

giantsfan420
12-19-2012, 12:14 PM
well we have a couple of plays designed to him when we get the RZ but i can recall only 2-3 plays. The TD he had vs GB he was the first read, plus the TD he had week 1 vs dallas...when we get to the RZ, we've used him as the 1rst read and scored TDs/ I too have wondered why we havent targeted him more, esp with a hobbled nicks

Cloud57
12-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Bennet has a good game one week and is completely invisible the next. why is it that TEs like Witten can get open all the time?

Cloud57
12-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Now that the Giants have started grooming and disciplining Bennett, maybe the Patriots will pick him up from us. They can run a 4 wide TE/WR set with Bennett, Gronk and Hernandez on the outside and Ballard in the slot.No team would be able to defend that lol

ozzie0075
12-19-2012, 12:51 PM
The first read on any play is typically determined at the LOS based on what coverage the defense is showing.

TroyArcher
12-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Maybe he should stop dropping passes.

appodictic
12-19-2012, 01:20 PM
Well Whitten catches many passes because the plays are designed for him. I think he should have several plays where he is the first option. Other then cruz he is our only player that can cause a mismatch at this point, and like i said many of his catches like the one in the end zone two weeks ago he is just wide wide open right in the middle of the field. No one even around to hit him after the catch.

YATittle1962
12-19-2012, 01:25 PM
there are plays designed to go to Bennett .....and he has been the hot

there have been instances while the defense is in zone where Bennett took the seam and was Elis first read due to what the D presented

I have also seen them discussing on the sideline what looked like Eli saying ....if you see such and such just look for the ball

but I definitely have seen Bennett sit down in a zone wide open while Eli is staring at Cruz for sure

it happens