PDA

View Full Version : ZEN

Laurah1275
12-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Zen.....This is the attitude I have developed concerning my love of the Giants, between watching them all year, my own research, and all the great input from this message board. Tell the truth, it was either this, or stroke out every Sunday during season. Two things are obvious to me:

1) Even if we don't win it all this year, this is an amazing franchise, has been for some time, and will continue to be for a long time. I think it is wonderfully empowering to know the Giants will heavily be in the heads of any team we play. There are certain teams in the NFL that NO ONE is concerned about playing ( I know there are no gimmee's, any given Sunday, whatever....but c'mon....be real) And I am so proud to say that the Giants are just not one of those teams.....Might not seem like much, but believe me, that alone says ALOT about how successful and promising this team is.

2) The Giants have a kind of confidence and swagger I have not seen on any other team in the NFL. I say this because I have seen them stomp the NFL's elites and lose to NFL scrubs (lack of a better word), that is weird right?....I think it speaks louder than just being inconsistent, bad coaching, what have you. I think it says the Giants know they can do it, they just don't at certain times, for whatever reasons. This sucks for us as fans, but it is what it is. This is a group of very talented men who love the lure, the chase, the challenge, and the conquest. They don't want it easy, they want balls to the walls challenge! This unfortunately comes with ups and downs, but it's a good thing, it means they have confidence, will, and a true heart belief that they can get the job done when needed. Having all the best team weapons means nothing without having this.

It's frustrating, exciting, and maddening all at the same time, but I have decided to remain Zen and ride the big blue wave wherever it goes, because I love this team! LET'S GO GIANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

dezzzR
12-19-2012, 10:11 AM
"Every things zen, every things zen .....I dont think so"

Rudyy
12-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Everytime you made a post..we lost. THIS IS ALL ON YOU!

GiantVibes
12-19-2012, 10:29 AM
I'm in a similar place with the gmen. Here's my theory on why some people get so emotionally evolved in the game.

Psychology of Fandom:

1. Individuals put lots of mental effort into thinking about the upcoming game, and prospects for victory.

2. The game doesn't go as planned in step 1

3. Negative feelings arise because:
a. Mental energy in step 1 was wasted (so the body motivates you to move away from the giants by producing negative feelings)
b. Helplessness - despite the mental energy put into the game, individuals are hopeless to control the outcome.

So in summary, if you don't build up the importance of the game by putting so much mental energy into it, the outcome of the game won't have such a profound effect on your emotions. You're basically convincing your body that the game is very important to your well-being, so when the team loses your body makes you desire to put mental effort elsewhere.

Just some random fandom speculation on my part. Anyway go giants!!!! ;)

Toadofsteel
12-19-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm in a similar place with the gmen. Here's my theory on why some people get so emotionally evolved in the game.

Psychology of Fandom:

1. Individuals put lots of mental effort into thinking about the upcoming game, and prospects for victory.

2. The game doesn't go as planned in step 1

3. Negative feelings arise because:
a. Mental energy in step 1 was wasted (so the body motivates you to move away from the giants by producing negative feelings)
b. Helplessness - despite the mental energy put into the game, individuals are hopeless to control the outcome.

So in summary, if you don't build up the importance of the game by putting so much mental energy into it, the outcome of the game won't have such a profound effect on your emotions. You're basically convincing your body that the game is very important to your well-being, so when the team loses your body makes you desire to put mental effort elsewhere.

Just some random fandom speculation on my part. Anyway go giants!!!! ;)

On the other hand, winning it all gives a tremendous emotional payoff. I was going through a bad time around this time last year for personal reasons (to the point where I almost started contemplating suicide). If the Giants hadn't won the SB last year, I might not even be here.

Laurah1275
12-19-2012, 10:50 AM
On the other hand, winning it all gives a tremendous emotional payoff. I was going through a bad time around this time last year for personal reasons (to the point where I almost started contemplating suicide). If the Giants hadn't won the SB last year, I might not even be here.Wow! Well I am very happy you are here! The boards wouldn't be the same without you! :)

Laurah1275
12-19-2012, 10:53 AM
Everytime you made a post..we lost. THIS IS ALL ON YOU!Hahaha....no, this is all on YOU! Tell your boy to concentrate on the game instead of JayZ! ;)

Rudyy
12-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Hahaha....no, this is all on YOU! Tell your boy to concentrate on the game instead of JayZ! ;)He won't listen to me :(

GameTime
12-19-2012, 10:57 AM
I may be able to speak for most fans....
During the saeason, when we have a team that can and should comptete we will get very pissed when they dont. But, for example, after this season if the Giants dont even get to the playoffs I wont be nearly as pissed as I would during the season. They have two SBs in 5 seasons. IMO...that is not living in the past. You cant win every year. I will be ok if they dont make. But until then I will rant when they play like crap...

Zen this......lol

Toadofsteel
12-19-2012, 11:00 AM
I may be able to speak for most fans....
During the saeason, when we have a team that can and should comptete we will get very pissed when they dont. But, for example, after this season if the Giants dont even get to the playoffs I wont be nearly as pissed as I would during the season. They have two SBs in 5 seasons. IMO...that is not living in the past. You cant win every year. I will be ok if they dont make. But until then I will rant when they play like crap...

Zen this......lol

This post actually makes a lot of sense. We're pissed because we care...

GameTime
12-19-2012, 11:04 AM
This post actually makes a lot of sense. We're pissed because we care...

exactly....someone called me a "fair weather" fan because I was ranting after the Falcons game. I simply told them a fair weather fan would not take the time rant on a message board. Fair weather fans dont give a ****......die hard fans do.....

Laurah1275
12-19-2012, 11:15 AM
I feel you up and down GameTime.......I don't know, to me it's like playing a board game with a little kid....you know you can be a spirit squasher and beat them, puff out your chest and say "Look at me, I'm the best", but you don't sometimes, because where's the fun in that? That's why I love this team, they keep it hot, but have that deep down knowledge that "I will destroy you if necessary".

GameTime
12-19-2012, 11:22 AM
I feel you up and down GameTime.......I don't know, to me it's like playing a board game with a little kid....you know you can be a spirit squasher and beat them, puff out your chest and say "Look at me, I'm the best", but you don't sometimes, because where's the fun in that? That's why I love this team, they keep it hot, but have that deep down knowledge that "I will destroy you if necessary".

I just got a twinge.....:cool:

Laurah1275
12-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Also, after the Giants have blown out a competitor, I have seen fans happy with the win, but unhappy with the boredom of the game. GMEN provide SPICE!

I totally get the ranting though, don't get me wrong, it was just turning me into a bit of a sourpuss throughout the week, and I chose to feel otherwise ;)

Kez Simpson
12-19-2012, 11:27 AM
exactly....someone called me a "fair weather" fan because I was ranting after the Falcons game. I simply told them a fair weather fan would not take the time rant on a message board. Fair weather fans dont give a ****......die hard fans do.....

I'm not a die hard fan, my world does not end because the Giants lose. However, I do care when the Giants lose. Yes, its very disheartning and ruins my mood cocerning football. I try not to listen to the pundits on ESPN or the "experts" that roam these boards. I feel we can rant and rave about a loss, but in all actuality it comes down to what the 11 on Offense and the 11 on Defense do for 60 mins. Obviously, the moaning and whining will continue because that is a form of expression people use to vent as well as:

1, Discredit our Coach and appointed assistaints
2. Discredit our QB
3. Discredit our GM

These are all prime targets in the blame game that happens after every loss. Its comical when you look at some of the things people post in hindsight. Because it can only be described as knee-jerk reactions.

GameTime
12-19-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm not a die hard fan, my world does not end because the Giants lose. However, I do care when the Giants lose. Yes, its very disheartning and ruins my mood cocerning football. I try not to listen to the pundits on ESPN or the "experts" that roam these boards. I feel we can rant and rave about a loss, but in all actuality it comes down to what the 11 on Offense and the 11 on Defense do for 60 mins. Obviously, the moaning and whining will continue because that is a form of expression people use to vent as well as:

1, Discredit our Coach and appointed assistaints
2. Discredit our QB
3. Discredit our GM

These are all prime targets in the blame game that happens after every loss. Its comical when you look at some of the things people post in hindsight. Because it can only be described as knee-jerk reactions.
says it pretty good right there.....