PDA

View Full Version : I think we should revamp the O-line through draft/FA & resign Bennett this off season

NYG4lifeNYK
12-19-2012, 03:18 PM
"I often hear some fans say where was Bennett this game?"

Where was Bennet? He was blocking for our putrid offensive line. He doesn't get even close to the amount oif opportunities to catch passes that most other starting TE's get.

Thus far through 14 games Bennett has had a pretty decent season. No eye popping numbers. So if you look at it, it looks like he's nothing really all that special. However when you see how little he gets to run a route those numbers start to impress.

He's coming from a team where he saw next to no playing time compiled by poor coaching. In his first stint here with us under Mike Pope's tutelage I think he's turned in a fine season and has so much room to grow.

I can see Bennett as a 70+, 1,000+ yard, 8+ TD TE without question.

ozzie0075
12-19-2012, 03:26 PM

Where was Bennet? He was blocking for our putrid offensive line. He doesn't get even close to the amount oif opportunities to catch passes that most other starting TE's get.

Thus far through 14 games Bennett has had a pretty decent season. No eye popping numbers. So if you look at it, it looks like he's nothing really all that special. However when you see how little he gets to run a route those numbers start to impress.

He's coming from a team where he saw next to no playing time compiled by poor coaching. In his first stint here with us under Mike Pope's tutelage I think he's turned in a fine season and has so much room to grow.

Resigning Bennett is a great plan and hope the Giants do, but whether they can resign him or not is going to be dependent on what the market is for him. If teams are willing to over pay for him like the Raiders did for boss then he won't be back here.

freeoscar
12-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Giants already have a ton of salary tied up in the Oline, with Diehl in particularly (and Baas less so) looking like albatrosses, so I don't see them doing anything meaningful on the FA front. As always, they'll draft whomever they think is the best available at that time, not focus on position.

Cloud57
12-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Draft Defense and Oline players. Look how terrible Dallas Defense was last year and this year they have the best defense (although inconsistent at times) in the division. Eli couldn't do anything in both games when we played them.

ozzie0075
12-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Draft Defense and Oline players. Look how terrible Dallas Defense was last year and this year they have the best defense (although inconsistent at times) in the division. Eli couldn't do anything in both games we played against them.

Dallas spent 10/mil a year on Carr.

Cloud57
12-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Dallas spent 10/mil a year on Carr.my point is we have to find a way to win games in our division

JesseJames
12-19-2012, 05:15 PM
the Giants will draft BPA and pass on the guy they really need because he graded lower than someone else, I know most people believe in that theory but it doesn't help your team when you need a really good guard and a WR graded higher so you take him and suffer with crappy O line blocking. I know all the arguments to defend this but it doesn't help when you don't have what you need because of this type of drafting....

B-Red22
12-19-2012, 05:58 PM
I think it has been very obvious that we need to address the Oline NOW and stop trying to just get by

moosedrool
12-19-2012, 06:08 PM
I hope the BPA is a OT, DE, or LB. We need help at all three positions.

NorwoodBlue
12-19-2012, 06:10 PM
the Giants will draft BPA and pass on the guy they really need because he graded lower than someone else, I know most people believe in that theory but it doesn't help your team when you need a really good guard and a WR graded higher so you take him and suffer with crappy O line blocking. I know all the arguments to defend this but it doesn't help when you don't have what you need because of this type of drafting....

I have issues with BPA especially if there's a guy nearly as good who fills a need. And, let's be truthful, there's often very little difference between a dozen available players when it comes to their overall rating. The problem, as I see it, is that the BPA often spends two years on the bench doing little or nothing, while the guy who could fill a need would be playing and improving. There's a pile of teams who drafted a starting OL, after we had already picked up Wilson. I'm not bashing Wilson; but there's guys out there who could have done this team a whole lot more good this year, and been starters for a long time. When you can't get your best players on the field because several of them play behind another best player, it seems like a waste. JR's system seems to work for keeping the team competitive in the free agent era; but it just seems like he could still address needs a little more directly than he does.

EliIsTheBaas
12-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Lol at revamp the oline. Please. The o line is a middle of the pack line, not the disarray people make it out to be. Baas will take a pay cut, DD will probably be released, or serve as a very useful backup who can fill in anywhere on the line for small stretches. Boothe is solid, beatty is a stud, and snee is old but serviceable. We really don't need to sell shop. Hopefully they draft a tackle like dj fluker who is k mac2.0 andcan play RT for the next ten years. We wonthe super bowl last year when they were the worst unit in the league. They've stepped up to a middle of the crowd group that is NOT costing the team games like it did last year.

brad
12-19-2012, 06:43 PM
People continue to blame the O-line, as if it is the only problem with the offense, when in fact the line has been better this year than last year. While the line may not be dominate, it is in the run game that they have been bad not pass protection.

Manning has been pressured on just 28.6 percent of his dropbacks, which is down from 39.1 percent last season.The Giants offensive line has given up the least amount of sacks in the NFL this season. The rushing attack has gone from producing just 89 yards per game in 2011 to 115 yards this season.

http://www.giants101.com/2012/12/18/the-new-york-giants-will-go-as-far-as-eli-manning-takes-them-in-2012/

Toadofsteel
12-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Lol at revamp the oline. Please. The o line is a middle of the pack line, not the disarray people make it out to be. Baas will take a pay cut, DD will probably be released, or serve as a very useful backup who can fill in anywhere on the line for small stretches. Boothe is solid, beatty is a stud, and snee is old but serviceable. We really don't need to sell shop. Hopefully they draft a tackle like dj fluker who is k mac2.0 andcan play RT for the next ten years. We wonthe super bowl last year when they were the worst unit in the league. They've stepped up to a middle of the crowd group that is NOT costing the team games like it did last year.

If you're basing this on sacks allowed, that's all on Eli's pocket presence... which is also why Eli ends up with a high INT count when he has to throw early due to the porous O-line giving up pressure on damn near every play...

brad
12-19-2012, 06:50 PM
If you're basing this on sacks allowed, that's all on Eli's pocket presence... which is also why Eli ends up with a high INT count when he has to throw early due to the porous O-line giving up pressure on damn near every play...

Read the article I posted above... Manning has been pressured on just 28.6 percent of his dropbacks, which is down from 39.1 percent last season.

Cloud57
12-19-2012, 06:50 PM
I hope the BPA is a OT, DE, or LB. We need help at all three positions.There are no good offensive players this year so teams will draft defensive players which means all the top DE and LB will be gone when it's the Giants turn to draft.

TheEnigma
12-19-2012, 06:54 PM
Read the article I posted above... Manning has been pressured on just 28.6 percent of his dropbacks, which is down from 39.1 percent last season.

The O-line is slightly better this year but we still need to acquire young, solid depth for the team. Beatty is the only player who could be considered a long-term option and he's a FA for 2013 so there isn't even a guarantee we will sign our best offensive lineman.

brad
12-19-2012, 06:57 PM
The O-line is slightly better this year but we still need to acquire young, solid depth for the team. Beatty is the only player who could be considered a long-term option and he's a FA for 2013 so there isn't even a guarantee we will sign our best offensive lineman.

Based on the numbers, I would say significantly better than last year... however I agree with you that it would be nice to see them pick up some future starters/depth. In my view, D-Line and LB are far more critical than O-line though.

TheEnigma
12-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Based on the numbers, I would say significantly better than last year... however I agree with you that it would be nice to see them pick up some future starters/depth. In my view, D-Line and LB are far more critical than O-line though.

Any idea what the total pressure allowed is? I know the Giants were dead last in the league in 2011 and I don't use Sacks Allowed because it doesn't tell you who is responsible for allowing the sack (Maybe the QB held on too long or maybe the low sacks is the work of the QB?) It's good to see less pressure allowed per dropback though.

I wouldn't mind a LBer but this 2013 class is strong with the Dline and Oline so I wouldn't be shocked to see something like Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU in round 1 and then we would follow it up with Dallas Thomas, OT/G, Tennessee. It's actually a perfect draft for the Giants since our biggest weaknesses are in the trenches.

brad
12-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Any idea what the total pressure allowed is? I know the Giants were dead last in the league in 2011 and I don't use Sacks Allowed because it doesn't tell you who is responsible for allowing the sack (Maybe the QB held on too long or maybe the low sacks is the work of the QB?) It's good to see less pressure allowed per dropback though.

I wouldn't mind a LBer but this 2013 class is strong with the Dline and Oline so I wouldn't be shocked to see something like Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU in round 1 and then we would follow it up with Dallas Thomas, OT/G, Tennessee. It's actually a perfect draft for the Giants since our biggest weaknesses are in the trenches.

I don't know total pressure numbers, but I was surprised to read it had dropped from last year. I didn't think it was as bad as many keep saying on here though.

It is hard to predict how the Giants will draft, I am wrong every year. But, I haven't really looked too hard into it yet this year, still holding out hope that our place in the draft will fall :) I think a lot will depend on Osi and Tuck.

EliIsTheBaas
12-19-2012, 09:34 PM
The O-line is slightly better this year but we still need to acquire young, solid depth for the team. Beatty is the only player who could be considered a long-term option and he's a FA for 2013 so there isn't even a guarantee we will sign our best offensive lineman. Slightly better????? Look at the film ofthe 49ers game last year and this year. We couldn't runthe ball last year and Eli was on his *** every play. The fact is most people have never played OL and have no clue how to evaluate it other than looking at team success. We had the worst line in the league and we won the super bowl. It's infinitely better than lastyear, if you don't believe it check Pff or better yet watch the film.

XBIGBLUE5000X
12-20-2012, 12:24 AM
I don't think the OL is the main problem, Locklear was a good signing ,D. Diehl could be a very useful back up , Snee is TC family so he isn't going nowhere plus he is not bad at his position. IMO we should add some more DB depth Webster is getting torch , Amukamara is ok, Hosley need sometime,Tryon please keep him on ST, Thomas (3 ACL's) not worth another season riding the bus in few words he's a risk. Phillips,Rolle and Brown are good,Hill is ok and Sash need to step up.

BlueBlooded1979
12-20-2012, 12:59 AM
The two highest paid OL are the biggest problems. Baas and Snee chew up 17m in cap space and are below average at their postion. Beatty, Boothe and Locklear are all FAs next season.

Toadofsteel
12-20-2012, 01:19 AM
The two highest paid OL are the biggest problems. Baas and Snee chew up 17m in cap space and are below average at their postion. Beatty, Boothe and Locklear are all FAs next season.

Isn't Diehl eating up a huge chunk of change too?

The sad thign is we NEED Beatty and Locklear going forward... why are the only two o-linemen worth a damn on our team free agents?

giantsfan420
12-20-2012, 01:21 AM
i think when lockler was RT, the OL played much better. and that will skew the stats bc obviously we have DD at RT now due to injury. I'd bet that with DD at RT, this OL is once again one of the worst teams in pressures per snap...last year and the first like 6 weeks ths year PFF did an article on qbs and their play under pressure, eli was pressured 20% more than the next most pressured qb on a per snap basis so, I dunno. depends on the stats a person feels relevant i guess like "sacks allowed" or "pressures allowed" or "pressure per pass play %" etc etc

myles2424
12-20-2012, 01:26 AM
Giants already have a ton of salary tied up in the Oline, with Diehl in particularly (and Baas less so) looking like albatrosses, so I don't see them doing anything meaningful on the FA front. As always, they'll draft whomever they think is the best available at that time, not focus on position.
There is PLENTY of dead weight that'll be cut,trust that...

joemorrisforprez
12-20-2012, 02:01 AM

Bennett was completely underutilized......if you look at the tape on the 2nd INT, Bennett was open. Eli really needs to look for him more.

ELI_HOF_NYG
12-20-2012, 02:03 AM
Bennett was completely underutilized......if you look at the tape on the 2nd INT, Bennett was open. Eli really needs to look for him more.

we seem to have a lot of under utilized players

NYG4lifeNYK
12-20-2012, 09:19 PM
No question however he spends more time with blocking assignments than route running

moosedrool
12-20-2012, 10:03 PM
IMO we should add some more DB depth

If the Giants draft a DB in the first four rounds I think I'll puke. DE, LB, RT are much larger needs. Locklear and Diehl are in their 30's and lord knows we can't stop the run when we need to.