PDA

View Full Version : DID YOU KNOW??

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

zimonami
02-04-2010, 01:22 PM
the rookie coach with 13 wins was Roy Andrews... and the #5s that played in the SB were.............</P>

One was our own Kerry Collins.</P>

Can't remember the other one yet... I'll try again as soon as I find my coffee cup</P>

zimonami
02-04-2010, 01:24 PM
the rookie coach with 13 wins was Roy Andrews... and the #5s that played in the SB were.............</P>

Yeah, of course, Roy Andrews. I'll bet his name was right there on the tips of everone's tongue.</P>

YATittle1962
02-04-2010, 01:27 PM

Yeah, of course, Roy Andrews.* I'll bet his name was right there on the tips of everone's tongue.</P>

hahahahahaha...

wheres that damn cup Zimmy....

I bet its right where you left it....

that reminds me of something my mother used to say to us as a kids.......

we would be scrambling to get ready for school in the morning and could never find out shoes....

my mother would say....they are wherever you took them off.....

witty woman.....

YATittle1962
02-04-2010, 01:30 PM

Can't remember the other one yet... I'll try again as soon as I find my coffee cup</P>

yup Kerry is one...

and the other one was seen vomiting in the huddle... ;)

Hostetler
02-04-2010, 01:47 PM

yup Kerry is one...

and the other one was seen vomiting in the huddle... ;)

Mc Nabb - God I knew I would Kick myself over this.

SEC105
02-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Giants RDE from early 80s wore #79 who was he?
</P>

I'll guess Dee Hardison though not sure Jints10</P>

Z</P>

Yep, Dee Hardison.......I have no idea why I was thinking about him today.
</P>

I liked Dee Hardison................he played 4 or 5 years. Can't recall the circumstances of whywe let him go</P>

Name another QB besides Eli who wore no.10 and won a Super Bowl</P>

Z</P>

the only one I can think of is Jay Shroeder..... who were the only QBs to wear #5 in a SB game?</P>

This was kind of a trick question , I believe the only QB to wear no.10and WIN the SB was Eli. Tarkenton wore no.10 but never won the SB</P>

Here's one. Name the Giant players to who played in both SB 21 and SB 25. I'm not sure of this myself but someone asked me. Bet if we put our heads together we can get this one</P>

Z</P>

SEC105
02-04-2010, 03:41 PM
http://wcbstv.com/sports/giants.stadium.demolition.2.1469640.html</P>

They started today. Hope to get over to Jersey in the next week or 2</P>

Began with the Spirals.........is that a message to all of us who have misbehaved out there on them over the years?[;)]</P>

Hostetler
02-04-2010, 04:18 PM
</P>

Z</P>

</P>

I liked Dee Hardison................he played 4 or 5 years. Can't recall the circumstances of why*we let him go</P>

Z</P>

the only one I can think of is Jay Shroeder..... who were the only QBs to wear #5 in a SB game?</P>

This was kind of a trick question , I believe the only QB to wear no.10*and WIN the SB was Eli. Tarkenton wore no.10 but never won the SB</P>

Here's one. Name the Giant players to who played in both SB 21 and SB 25. I'm not sure of this myself but someone asked me.* Bet if we put our heads together we can get this one</P>

Z</P>

LT,Banks, Bart Oates, Mark Bavaro, Maurice Carthon

SEC105
02-04-2010, 05:35 PM
</P>

Z</P>

</P>

I liked Dee Hardison................he played 4 or 5 years. Can't recall the circumstances of whywe let him go</P>

Z</P>

This was kind of a trick question , I believe the only QB to wear no.10and WIN the SB was Eli. Tarkenton wore no.10 but never won the SB</P>

Here's one. Name the Giant players to who played in both SB 21 and SB 25. I'm not sure of this myself but someone asked me. Bet if we put our heads together we can get this one</P>

Z</P>

LT,Banks, Bart Oates, Mark Bavaro, Maurice Carthon</P>

A couple more....Gary Reasons and William Roberts?</P>

Z</P>

zimonami
02-04-2010, 05:50 PM
</P>

Z</P>

</P>

Z</P>

Z</P>

Z</P>

</P>

Leonard Marshall, Perry Williams, and Stacy Robinson, too.</P>

How about OJ Anderson? Didn't he come to us in '86?</P>

And, how about Allegre and Landeta?</P>

zimonami
02-04-2010, 05:57 PM

Began with the Spirals.........is that a message to all of us who have misbehaved out there on them over the years?[;)]</P>

</P>

R.I.P. Giant's Stadium. I was there from the beginning, in '76, and had many great memories. A few bad ones, too. But the Conference Championship against Washington, with the cold and wind and confetti flying around at the end, is the best.</P>

It's like losing your favorite uncle. Died before his time, and can't be replaced in your heart.</P>

Got to enjoy the Dead there, too. That's always an experience, with as many people outside the stadium as inside. Just one long enjoyableparty.</P>

Hostetler
02-04-2010, 05:58 PM
I think I have one that will take a little time for you folks to get.

There is only 1 NFL player to have 5 super bowl rings.
He played for 2 teams, who is he and what teams?

SEC105
02-04-2010, 06:04 PM
</P>

Z</P>

</P>

Z</P>

Z</P>

Z</P>

</P>

Leonard Marshall, Perry Williams, and Stacy Robinson, too.</P>

How about OJ Anderson? Didn't he come to us in '86?</P>

And, how about Allegre and Landeta?</P>

</P>

They all make sense to me...also Pepper Johnson , he andWilliam Roberts did the dance at midfield after the SB 21 victory....curious as to who we left out , if anybody</P>

Here's one more question Head Coach TC was the third oldest coach to win a SB. What 2 coaches were older than TC when they won their Super Bowls?</P>

Z</P>

zimonami
02-04-2010, 06:08 PM
I think I have one that will take a little time for you folks to get. There is only 1 NFL player to have 5 super bowl rings. He played for 2 teams, who is he and what teams?</P>

Charles Haley... Dallas and SF?</P>

Hostetler
02-04-2010, 06:09 PM
I think I have one that will take a little time for you folks to get. There is only 1 NFL player to have 5 super bowl rings. He played for 2 teams, who is he and what teams?</P>

well - that took all of 5 minutes - good Job Z

SEC105
02-04-2010, 06:18 PM

well - that took all of 5 minutes - good Job Z</P>

WOW.......lol.....Z is amazing right Hoss? I did'nt have that one anywhere close to being on the tip of my tongue</P>

Z</P>

Hostetler
02-04-2010, 06:20 PM

WOW.......lol.....Z is amazing right Hoss? I did'nt have that one anywhere close to being on the tip of my tongue</P>

Z</P>

you folks always amaze me - some of the obscure giant trivia always makes me come back to this thread.

SEC105
02-04-2010, 06:24 PM

</P>

R.I.P. Giant's Stadium. I was there from the beginning, in '76, and had many great memories. A few bad ones, too. But the Conference Championship against Washington, with the cold and wind and confetti flying around at the end, is the best.</P>

It's like losing your favorite uncle. Died before his time, and can't be replaced in your heart.</P>

Got to enjoy the Dead there, too. That's always an experience, with as many people outside the stadium as inside. Just one long enjoyableparty.</P>

</P>

Me too Z , I was there from the beginning also. It is losing something we just won't get back...but we do havethe memories. Agreed on the Washington game. Very emotional. Is'nt itamazing how far the team progressed from 76 on in the old place......................</P>

zimonami
02-04-2010, 06:25 PM
They all make sense to me...also Pepper Johnson , he andWilliam Roberts did the dance at midfield after the SB 21 victory....curious as to who we left out , if anybody</P>

Here's one more question Head Coach TC was the third oldest coach to win a SB. What 2 coaches were older than TC when they won their Super Bowls?</P>

Z</P>

</P>

How about Weeb, Jets, and **** Vermeil with the Rams?</P>

If it isn't one of them, Walsh with the Niners.</P>

SEC105
02-04-2010, 06:37 PM

Z</P>

</P>

How about Weeb, Jets, and **** Vermeil with the Rams?</P>

If it isn't one of them, Walsh with the Niners.</P>

</P>

Thats both of em Z Weeb and Vermeil..................another job well done[Y]</P>

zimonami
02-04-2010, 07:48 PM

Z</P>

</P>

LOL... yeah, the Zman is amazing... only, to tell the truth, I heard it on the NFL channel about a week ago... Honestly, I did know the answer anyways, but it would have taken a few minutes to remember, instead of the instantaneous recall when I first read it.</P>

But, the Weeb and Vermeil answer was from the old memory banks</P>

YATittle1962
02-04-2010, 07:54 PM

</P>

R.I.P. Giant's Stadium.* I was there from the beginning, in '76, and had many great memories. A few bad ones, too. But the Conference Championship against Washington, with the cold and wind and confetti flying around at the end, is the best.</P>

Got to enjoy the Dead there, too. That's always an experience, with as many people outside the stadium as inside.* Just one long enjoyable*party.</P>

</P>

Me too Z , I was there from the beginning also. It is losing something we just won't get back...but we do have*the memories. Agreed on the Washington game. Very emotional. *Is'nt it*amazing how far the team progressed from 76 on in the old place......................</P>

hear hear gentlemen.....I wish I knew you guys back then.....we need to get together this season for beers

heres an easy one....

what Giant crossed the goal line in 2 out of 3 of our SB wins?

Hostetler
02-04-2010, 07:56 PM

</P>

R.I.P. Giant's Stadium.* I was there from the beginning, in '76, and had many great memories. A few bad ones, too. But the Conference Championship against Washington, with the cold and wind and confetti flying around at the end, is the best.</P>

Got to enjoy the Dead there, too. That's always an experience, with as many people outside the stadium as inside.* Just one long enjoyable*party.</P>

</P>

Me too Z , I was there from the beginning also. It is losing something we just won't get back...but we do have*the memories. Agreed on the Washington game. Very emotional. *Is'nt it*amazing how far the team progressed from 76 on in the old place......................</P>

hear hear gentlemen.....I wish I knew you guys back then.....we need to get together this season for beers

heres an easy one....

Mark Bavaro

YATittle1962
02-04-2010, 07:57 PM

</P>

</P>

heres an easy one....

Mark Bavaro

no cigar......try again

Hostetler
02-04-2010, 08:02 PM

</P>

</P>

heres an easy one....

Mark Bavaro

no cigar......try again

Ok - elaborate - by crossing the goal line, do you mean scoring a TD? Because there is only a limited Number of players who played in 21 and 25

YATittle1962
02-04-2010, 08:07 PM

</P>

</P>

heres an easy one....

Mark Bavaro

no cigar......try again

Ok - elaborate - by crossing the goal line, do you mean scoring a TD? Because there is only a limited Number of players who played in 21 and 25

crossing the goal line with the ball...scoring a TD

Hostetler
02-04-2010, 08:14 PM

</P>

</P>

heres an easy one....

Mark Bavaro

no cigar......try again

crossing the goal line with the ball...scoring a TD hmmm - Maurice Carthon?

YATittle1962
02-04-2010, 08:15 PM

</P>

</P>

heres an easy one....

Mark Bavaro

no cigar......try again

nope...getting closer

Hostetler
02-04-2010, 08:17 PM

</P>

</P>

heres an easy one....

Mark Bavaro

no cigar......try again

nope...getting closer

Otis Andersen

YATittle1962
02-04-2010, 08:18 PM

</P>

</P>

heres an easy one....

Mark Bavaro

no cigar......try again

nope...getting closer

Otis Andersen

GIVE THE MAN A CIGAR!!!!!!

nice one Hos

Hostetler
02-04-2010, 08:26 PM

</P>

</P>

heres an easy one....

Mark Bavaro

no cigar......try again

nope...getting closer

Otis Andersen

GIVE THE MAN A CIGAR!!!!!!

nice one Hos

Thanks YA.

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-04-2010, 08:56 PM
I know Dan Reeves is one of them , going to go out on a limb and guess Mike Dikta and Butkis 2 out of 3 Hoss..... Reeves and Ditka..... one more</P>

</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>DUNGY!!!</FONT></P>

</P>

Well is Dungy the third guy or not?</P>

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-04-2010, 08:58 PM
</P>

Z</P>

</P>

Z</P>

Z</P>

Z</P>

</P>

</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>Pepper Johnson</FONT></P>

YATittle1962
02-04-2010, 09:18 PM
I know Dan Reeves is one of them , going to go out on a limb and guess Mike Dikta and Butkis 2 out of 3 Hoss..... Reeves and Ditka..... one more</P>

*</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>DUNGY!!!</FONT></P>

</P>

Well is Dungy the third guy or not?</P>

yes sir

SEC105
02-05-2010, 05:00 PM
In Super Bowl 25 fairly late in the second quater QB Hoss was knocked woozy on failed third down attempt. He staggered off the field but did return. Who was the Bills DE who laid the hit on him?</P>

Z</P>

zimonami
02-05-2010, 05:08 PM
In Super Bowl 25 fairly late in the second quater QB Hoss was knocked woozy on failed third down attempt. He staggered off the field but did return. Who was the Bills DE who laid the hit on him?</P>

Z</P>

</P>

I'll say Bruce Smith.</P>

Hostetler
02-05-2010, 05:10 PM

Z*</P>

Ditto - Bruce Smith

SEC105
02-05-2010, 05:13 PM

Z</P>

Ditto - Bruce Smith</P>

He would seem like the logical choice gang but no..............it was some one else</P>

Z</P>

Hostetler
02-05-2010, 05:23 PM

Z*</P>

Ditto - Bruce Smith</P>

He would seem like the logical choice gang but no..............it was some one else</P>

Z</P>

Mark Pike

SEC105
02-05-2010, 05:36 PM

Z</P>

Ditto - Bruce Smith</P>

Z</P>

Mark Pike</P>

No but good try Hoss......this guy was another DE. You guys will remember when you hear it</P>

Z</P>

rbcarpenter
02-05-2010, 05:56 PM

He played for 2 teams, who is he and what teams?charles haley,dallas and san fran

rbcarpenter
02-05-2010, 05:59 PM

He played for 2 teams, who is he and what teams?charles haley,dallas and san frannever mind,already answered.the guy that hit hoss was seales or sealy,something like that.

SEC105
02-05-2010, 06:06 PM
I think I have one that will take a little time for you folks to get. There is only 1 NFL player to have 5 super bowl rings. He played for 2 teams, who is he and what teams?charles haley,dallas and san frannever mind,already answered.the guy that hit hoss was seales or sealy,something like that.</P>

Close enough RC............it was Leon Seals he was a monster at times , good player. At any rate I'll bet Hostetler never forgot his name[;)]</P>

Z</P>

YATittle1962
02-05-2010, 06:55 PM
SB 21...what was the score when Elway was dropped for a safety ?

who got the safety?

forgive me im trying to keep it SB oriented... ;)

zimonami
02-05-2010, 07:00 PM
SB 21...what was the score when Elway was dropped for a safety ? who got the safety? forgive me im trying to keep it SB oriented... ;)</P>

Good ol' George Martin. It was 10-7, and the half closed at 10-9</P>

zimonami
02-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Was looking at some Sammy Baugh info and saw some punting stuff. I'll include 1 SB question to keep the current theme alive.</P>

Who holds the SB record for longest punt? How long? Who was he punting for?</P>

What single season record in punting does Sammy Baugh hold? ... one which may never be broken.</P>

</P>

rbcarpenter
02-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Was looking at some Sammy Baugh info and saw some punting stuff. I'll include 1 SB question to keep the current theme alive.</P>

Who holds the SB record for longest punt?* How long? Who was he punting for?</P>

What single season record in punting does Sammy Baugh hold? ... one which may never be broken.</P>

*</P>i think baugh holds the single season record for average on his punts,51.something.as to the super bowl punts-ain't got a clue! ;)

YATittle1962
02-05-2010, 07:52 PM
SB 21...what was the score when Elway was dropped for a safety ? who got the safety? forgive me im trying to keep it SB oriented... ;)</P>

Good ol' George Martin. It was 10-7, and the half closed at 10-9</P>

Zimmy answered that in his sleep

....i think I found your coffee cup

YATittle1962
02-05-2010, 08:03 PM

Who holds the SB record for longest punt?* How long? Who was he punting for?</P>

*</P>

I dont know if this is the answer but San Fran vs Cinci was on NFLN the other night and the punter booted a 60 something yarder.....dont remember his name.....

I thought that was a pretty deep punt.......

not sure of Sammys record......Im interested in the answer tough.....

patiently awaiting the answer Zim......

how many yards was Manning to Tyree in 42?

zimonami
02-05-2010, 08:24 PM

Who holds the SB record for longest punt? How long? Who was he punting for?</P>

</P>

I dont know if this is the answer but San Fran vs Cinci was on NFLN the other night and the punter booted a 60 something yarder.....dont remember his name..... I thought that was a pretty deep punt....... not sure of Sammys record......Im interested in the answer tough..... patiently awaiting the answer Zim...... how many yards was Manning to Tyree in 42?</P>

It was that game, YA... 63 yards by Lee Johnson of Cincy..</P>

Good job, rbc. It was 50.4. That might never be broken. It has stood for 70 years!!!</P>

What Giant holds the record for most number of punts in a season by a rookie? How many? (this number is the second most for a season in league history)</P>

Hostetler
02-05-2010, 08:41 PM

*</P>

I dont know if this is the answer but San Fran vs Cinci was on NFLN the other night and the punter booted a 60 something yarder.....dont remember his name.....

I thought that was a pretty deep punt.......

not sure of Sammys record......Im interested in the answer tough.....

patiently awaiting the answer Zim......

how many yards was Manning to Tyree in 42?

32 yards

GIANTSFAN148
02-05-2010, 08:54 PM
EASY! 43 yards!!!! 3 receptions the catch a TD and some other one for like a couple yards

GIANTSFAN148
02-05-2010, 08:56 PM
EASY! 43 yards!!!! 3 receptions the catch a TD and some other one for like a couple yards</P>

Oh!!!! that one play? the "catch" was'nt it 32 yards up field for a gain of 24 yards?</P>

GIANTSFAN148
02-05-2010, 08:56 PM
EASY! 43 yards!!!! 3 receptions the catch a TD and some other one for like a couple yards</P>

Oh!!!! that one play? the "catch" was'nt it 32 yards up field for a gain of 24 yards?</P>

</P>

or was it just 32 yards? </P>

zimonami
02-06-2010, 01:59 AM
Feegles has the most punts in NFL History. Who is second.</P>

Feegles also has the most punts inside the 20 in NFL History. Who is second?</P>

rbcarpenter
02-06-2010, 02:00 AM
i think 2nd place for most punts is sean landeta.

rbcarpenter
02-06-2010, 02:02 AM
i hope all you guys further north of me did all their shopping earlier today.i'm in delaware(110 miles south of nyc)and the snow is almost up to my eyeballs!ok,not really,but 11 inches already.

zimonami
02-06-2010, 02:09 AM
i think 2nd place for most punts is sean landeta.</P>

Bingo, RBC. Now take a stab at the other one.</P>

zimonami
02-06-2010, 02:14 AM
i hope all you guys further north of me did all their shopping earlier today.i'm in delaware(110 miles south of nyc)and the snow is almost up to my eyeballs!ok,not really,but 11 inches already.</P>

So far, only 1-2" here...on top of a mountain in the Poconos. We're usually blasted but have been a little too far north for these last 2 biggies... thank you, Lord. My first winter here we got 96". They had to bring in a backhoe to take snow away because there was no place to plow the new snow.</P>

But, I think of Buffalo and I can smile.</P>

Hunker down and enjoy a little solitude this SB weekend. I did my shopping today and I'm ready to relax.</P>

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-06-2010, 10:14 AM

</P>

</P>

Ray Guy?</P>

YATittle1962
02-06-2010, 10:23 AM

</P>

*</P>

Ray Guy?</P>

first round punter....nice guess.....

Ill go with BBS

YATittle1962
02-06-2010, 10:29 AM
who was the mad man wearing #32 (not a Giant) who once decked a fan for running on the field and grabbing the ball....?

this was in the early 70s if I remember correctly.....

this guy was one of the only people who ever scared me through a television set.....

GiantsWinAlltime
02-06-2010, 10:32 AM
who was the mad man wearing #32 (not a Giant) who once decked a fan for running on the field and grabbing the ball....? this was in the early 70s if I remember correctly..... this guy was one of the only people who ever scared me through a television set.....Wow, maybe you had the 3D glasses on at the time lol.

SEC105
02-06-2010, 12:12 PM
who was the mad man wearing #32 (not a Giant) who once decked a fan for running on the field and grabbing the ball....?

this guy was one of the only people who ever scared me through a television set.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtAyt-IddEA
gotta be "Mike The Mad Dog Curtis"
Z

YATittle1962
02-06-2010, 12:15 PM

Z

he was one scary MF

SEC105
02-06-2010, 12:17 PM

Z

he was one scary MF
Yes he was YA......think that fan ever ran on a football again? lol
Z

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-06-2010, 12:38 PM
who was the mad man wearing #32 (not a Giant) who once decked a fan for running on the field and grabbing the ball....? this was in the early 70s if I remember correctly..... this guy was one of the only people who ever scared me through a television set.....</P>

Mike Curtis</P>

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-06-2010, 12:40 PM
who was the mad man wearing #32 (not a Giant) who once decked a fan for running on the field and grabbing the ball....? this was in the early 70s if I remember correctly..... this guy was one of the only people who ever scared me through a television set.....</P>

Mike Curtis</P>

</P>

</P>

oooops! didn't scroll down enough to see it was already answered.</P>

fourth&forever
02-06-2010, 01:34 PM
http://stores.fhsportscards.com/catalog/Mike%20Curtis%208x10%20Blue%20Ink.jpg

<font size="4">Classic!</font>

<font color="#0000ff"><font face="Verdana"></font></font> (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/14/sports/14rust.html)

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-06-2010, 02:06 PM
http://stores.fhsportscards.com/catalog/Mike%20Curtis%208x10%20Blue%20Ink.jpg

<FONT size=4>Classic!</FONT>

<FONT color=#0000ff><FONT face=Verdana></FONT></FONT> (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/14/sports/14rust.html)

</P>

<FONT color=#800080>Was it Curtis or Lambert who ate broken glass?</FONT></P>

zimonami
02-06-2010, 02:11 PM

</P>

</P>

Ray Guy?</P>

first round punter....nice guess..... Ill go with BBS</P>

2nd most inside the 20? Also, Sean Landeta</P>

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-06-2010, 02:15 PM
This is an opinion oriented question.</P>

Best Giant punter ever?</P>

Landeta?</P>

Dave Jennings?</P>

Feagles?</P>

Chandler?</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>WHO ?</FONT></P>

zimonami
02-06-2010, 03:16 PM
This is an opinion oriented question.</P>

Best Giant punter ever?</P>

Landeta?</P>

Dave Jennings?</P>

Feagles?</P>

Chandler?</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>WHO ?</FONT></P>

</P>

Landeta and Chandler punted for us 9 years; Jennings 10; Feagles 7, so far.</P>

I have to go with Jennings</P>

Tough one, even though he was only with us during brutally bad years. Jennings taking acrobatic and theatrical swan dives when an opposing blocker's breezeswooshed by him was always funny, and worth a few 15 yearders.</P>

YATittle1962
02-06-2010, 04:38 PM
1981 season wilcard game vs the Eagles.....

Brunner ....(whom I never cared for, and he always looked so clumsy and goofy) ....threw one pick......

who picked that ball?

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-06-2010, 04:42 PM
1981 season wilcard game vs the Eagles..... Brunner ....(whom I never cared for, and he always looked so clumsy and goofy) ....threw one pick...... who picked that ball?</P>

Bill Bergey?</P>

YATittle1962
02-06-2010, 04:44 PM
1981 season wilcard game vs the Eagles..... Brunner ....(whom I never cared for, and he always looked so clumsy and goofy) ....threw one pick...... who picked that ball?</P>

Bill Bergey?</P>

good guess ...and one mean SOB....but I dont think he was on the team for that game.....

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-06-2010, 04:49 PM

Bill Bergey?</P>

good guess ...and one mean SOB....but I dont think he was on the team for that game.....</P>

</P>

Herm?</P>

YATittle1962
02-06-2010, 04:54 PM

Bill Bergey?</P>

good guess ...and one mean SOB....but I dont think he was on the team for that game.....</P>

*</P>

Herm?</P>

yup

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-06-2010, 05:01 PM

Bill Bergey?</P>

</P>

Herm?</P>

yup</P>

[I] oh boy!</P>

zimonami
02-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Who kicked the first FG in SB History, in SBI?</P>

Who was the only Green Bay player that didn't play in the game? (I wouldn't have asked it if it wasn't a name we'd all recognize)</P>

</P>

Hostetler
02-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Bart STarr?

YATittle1962
02-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Who kicked the first FG in SB History, in SBI?</P>

Who was the only Green Bay player that didn't play in the game? *(I wouldn't have asked it if it wasn't a name we'd all recognize)</P>

*</P>

was it Nitschke?

zimonami
02-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Nope... Not Bart on the FG. I assume you meant Bart on the FG, Hoss.(this is a tough one)</P>

It was a KC kicker, initials MM. GB got all TD's.</P>

</P>

It wasn't Nitsche who didn't play for GB.</P>

zimonami
02-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Nope... Not Bart on the FG. I assume you meant Bart on the FG, Hoss.(this is a tough one)</P>

</P>

YATittle1962
02-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Nope... Not Bart on the FG.* I assume you meant Bart on the FG, Hoss.*(this is a tough one)</P>

It was a KC kicker, initials MM.* * GB got all TD's.</P>

*</P>

did Paul Hornung not play?

this is a total guess based on you saying its a name we would all know.....

I dont remember him not playing but Ill say Paul.....

if he didnt play Taylor was no slouch ...I actually thought he was better than Hornung.....

zimonami
02-06-2010, 10:33 PM

</P>

did Paul Hornung not play? this is a total guess based on you saying its a name we would all know..... I dont remember him not playing but Ill say Paul..... if he didnt play Taylor was no slouch ...I actually thought he was better than Hornung.....</P>

Yup, it was Hornung. But, I don't know nor remember why. Just noticed his name next to the Did Not Play. Can't remember if he was injured, but he was 31 and probably in his last years. I also remember Taylor being more effective than PH. To me, Hornung just wasn't that fast, and wasn't the bull that Taylor was. His rep was bigger than his play, but he was the pretty boy from ND and always had the attention. That year off didn't help him, either.</P>

rbcarpenter
02-06-2010, 11:30 PM
the kicker for kc was mike mercer,the wally pipp who kicked before jan stenerud took over.imho,the best punter in giants history was landeta,was sorry to see him go,but happy for him to strech his career that long.

rbcarpenter
02-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Nope... Not Bart on the FG.* I assume you meant Bart on the FG, Hoss.*(this is a tough one)</P>

It was a KC kicker, initials MM.* * GB got all TD's.</P>

*</P>

did Paul Hornung not play? this is a total guess based on you saying its a name we would all know..... I dont remember him not playing but Ill say Paul..... if he didnt play Taylor was no slouch ...I actually thought he was better than Hornung.....</P>

Yup, it was Hornung.* But, I don't know nor remember why. Just noticed his name next to the Did Not Play.* Can't remember if he was injured, but he was 31 and probably in his last years.* I also remember Taylor being more effective than PH.* To me, Hornung just wasn't that fast, and wasn't the bull that Taylor was. His rep was bigger than his play, but he was the pretty boy from ND and always had the attention. That year off didn't help him, either.</P>wow,really?i thought it was chuck mercein,who helped them win the ice bowl on that last drive.recall a story he told saying he brought his whole family in for the super bowl because of his performance 2 weeks before,then was told 5 minutes before the kickoff by lombardi he wasn't going to play.

zimonami
02-06-2010, 11:52 PM
the kicker for kc was mike mercer,the wally pipp who kicked before jan stenerud took over.imho,the best punter in giants history was landeta,was sorry to see him go,but happy for him to strech his career that long.</P>

Mercer it is, rbc. good job. Most people figure it was Stenerud... he was one excellent kicker.</P>

My problem with Sean L is that whiffed punt in the Chicago championship.</P>

zimonami
02-06-2010, 11:53 PM
the kicker for kc was mike mercer,the wally pipp who kicked before jan stenerud took over.imho,the best punter in giants history was landeta,was sorry to see him go,but happy for him to strech his career that long.</P>

Mercer it is, rbc. good job. Most people figure it was Stenerud... he was one excellent kicker.</P>

zimonami
02-06-2010, 11:55 PM

</P>

Yup, it was Hornung. But, I don't know nor remember why. Just noticed his name next to the Did Not Play. Can't remember if he was injured, but he was 31 and probably in his last years. I also remember Taylor being more effective than PH. To me, Hornung just wasn't that fast, and wasn't the bull that Taylor was. His rep was bigger than his play, but he was the pretty boy from ND and always had the attention. That year off didn't help him, either.</P>

wow,really?i thought it was chuck mercein,who helped them win the ice bowl on that last drive.recall a story he told saying he brought his whole family in for the super bowl because of his performance 2 weeks before,then was told 5 minutes before the kickoff by lombardi he wasn't going to play.</P>

You could be right, rbc. I was checking out the box score and noticed that only GB had a DNP, and it was Hornung.</P>

</P>

rbcarpenter
02-07-2010, 12:05 AM

My problem with Sean L is that whiffed punt in the Chicago championship.</P>I HAD TO SEE THAT REPLAY 7 TIMES ON THE DAY IT HAPPENED,AND I STILL COULDN'T BELIEVED HE WIFFED!

YATittle1962
02-07-2010, 12:20 AM

My problem with Sean L is that whiffed punt in the Chicago championship.</P>I HAD TO SEE THAT REPLAY 7 TIMES ON THE DAY IT HAPPENED,AND I STILL COULDN'T BELIEVED HE WIFFED!

who recovered that wiff and got credit for a punt return TD?

zimonami
02-07-2010, 01:03 AM

I HAD TO SEE THAT REPLAY 7 TIMES ON THE DAY IT HAPPENED,AND I STILL COULDN'T BELIEVED HE WIFFED! who recovered that wiff and got credit for a punt return TD?</P>

One of their DB's, Shawn Gayle. </P>

That play, and Rob Carpenter's inexplicanle fumble (Like Jerry Rice's fumble against us in '86), were really the difference. I can only chalk it up to the cold, and maybe a freak gust of wind at Landeta's legs. Still, you had to realize that we were a team on the rise.</P>

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-07-2010, 11:51 AM

</P>

your problem is with the wind that day in the second city.</P>

YATittle1962
02-09-2010, 11:44 AM
who was the only other 1st round Safety picked by the Giants before Kenny Phillips?

Z

zimonami
02-09-2010, 12:15 PM
who was the only other 1st round Safety picked by the Giants before Kenny Phillips? Z</P>

Shaun Williams in '97 or '98?</P>

YATittle1962
02-09-2010, 12:52 PM
who was the only other 1st round Safety picked by the Giants before Kenny Phillips? Z</P>

Shaun Williams in '97 or '98?</P>

yup 98

Gmen2005
02-09-2010, 02:54 PM
This may have been asked already, but I'm mostly asking YA because he goes to all the games. I try to get to as many as I can, but it's tough with school these days. I'm not sure of the answer either haha.

When was the last time the giants announced the starting offense/defense instead of all coming out as a bunch?
If you do know, why did they ever stop?

YATittle1962
02-09-2010, 02:55 PM
in the 93 season finally against the Cowboys...who was it that brought down Emmitt after a long run dislocating his shoulder?

rbcarpenter
02-09-2010, 02:57 PM
in the 93 season finally against the Cowboys...who was it that brought down Emmitt after a long run dislocating his shoulder?greg jackson?

YATittle1962
02-09-2010, 02:59 PM
This may have been asked already, but I'm mostly asking YA because he goes to all the games. I try to get to as many as I can, but it's tough with school these days. I'm not sure of the answer either haha.

When was the last time the giants announced the starting offense/defense instead of all coming out as a bunch?

thats a good question...

I think they stopped in the Coughlin era.....dont really remember though....

maybe Zim, SEC, Jints, or rbc will remember...

Im pretty sure through the Fassel era they were still doing introductions...

pretty sure teams started biting the Belichick style of team intro

ZIMMYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ???????

YATittle1962
02-09-2010, 03:01 PM
in the 93 season finally against the Cowboys...who was it that brought down Emmitt after a long run dislocating his shoulder?greg jackson?

my goodness rbc......

you are damn good......damn good

Gmen2005
02-09-2010, 03:02 PM

thats a good question...

I think they stopped in the Coughlin era.....dont really remember though....

maybe Zim, SEC, Jints, or rbc will remember...

Im pretty sure through the Fassel era they were still doing introductions...

pretty sure teams started biting the Belichick style of team intro

ZIMMYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ???????
That's what I was thinking. Maybe when the rams ran out all together in the super bowl, teams started to follow that trend?

SEC105
02-09-2010, 04:24 PM

thats a good question... I think they stopped in the Coughlin era.....dont really remember though.... maybe Zim, SEC, Jints, or rbc will remember... Im pretty sure through the Fassel era they were still doing introductions... pretty sure teams started biting the Belichick style of team intro ZIMMYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ???????
That's what I was thinking. Maybe when the rams ran out all together in the super bowl, teams started to follow that trend?
</P>

To the best of memory and I'm not at all sure on this...............we stopped the the player intros after the Pats won the SB in which they came out as a team. Not sure which one that was but beginningthe next season the Giants came out out of the tunnel as team................ kinda miss those individual introductions</P>

Z</P>

SEC105
02-09-2010, 04:34 PM
working on picture posting . be patient fellashttp://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:w-folIRZubIXmM:http://www1.dailynewspix.com/sales/sales_image.php?name=N1990427.jpg&amp;id=57927&amp;lb=4_39 3292&amp;size=medium (http://www1.dailynewspix.com/sales/sales_image.php?name=N1990427.jpg&amp;id=57927&amp;lb=4_39 3292&amp;size=medium)

SEC105
02-09-2010, 04:50 PM
working on picture posting . be patient fellashttp://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:w-folIRZubIXmM:http://www1.dailynewspix.com/sales/sales_image.php?name=N1990427.jpg&amp;id=57927&amp;lb=4_39 3292&amp;size=medium (http://www1.dailynewspix.com/sales/sales_image.php?name=N1990427.jpg&amp;id=57927&amp;lb=4_39 3292&amp;size=medium)</P>

Need a little help here gang anybody got a quick explanation on how to get my pictures [with correct size]on my posts? Thanks</P>

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-09-2010, 10:57 PM
<FONT color=#0000ff>Did you know I attended every game at the Yale Bowl the Giants played including pre-season?</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>You know I was loving it because I lived in Stamford, Ct!</FONT></P>

zimonami
02-09-2010, 11:49 PM
<FONT color=#0000ff>Did you know I attended every game at the Yale Bowl the Giants played including pre-season?</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>You know I was loving it because I lived in Stamford, Ct!</FONT></P>

</P>

I did, too, BB62. I lived in Naugatuck CT from 1968 to 1975. Then moved to NJ mid '75... ready for the new Giant Stadium.</P>

YATittle1962
02-10-2010, 12:30 PM

</P>

I did, too, BB62. I lived in Naugatuck CT from 1968 to 1975.* Then moved to NJ mid '75... ready for the new Giant Stadium.</P>

I was there as well....all except for the preseason game against the Jets when I was on my way home from Woodstock......what a fiasco

that made me think of a question.....

when and where was the final game with Allie Sherman as head coach?

zimonami
02-10-2010, 02:48 PM

</P>

I did, too, BB62. I lived in Naugatuck CT from 1968 to 1975. Then moved to NJ mid '75... ready for the new Giant Stadium.</P>

I was there as well....all except for the preseason game against the Jets when I was on my way home from Woodstock......what a fiasco that made me think of a question..... when and where was the final game with Allie Sherman as head coach?</P>

Didn't Allie get the boot right after the '69 pre-season loss to the Jets?</P>

I've talked about the fights at that game... the worst fights, by far, in any game I've ever seen. it made for a memorable day. Dang, over 40 years ago. And, the Jets haven't made it back to the Big One since then... ahhhh, what a shame.</P>

YATittle1962
02-10-2010, 03:05 PM

</P>

I did, too, BB62. I lived in Naugatuck CT from 1968 to 1975.* Then moved to NJ mid '75... ready for the new Giant Stadium.</P>

I was there as well....all except for the preseason game against the Jets when I was on my way home from Woodstock......what a fiasco that made me think of a question..... when and where was the final game with Allie Sherman as head coach?</P>

Didn't Allie get the boot right after the '69 pre-season loss to the Jets?</P>

I've talked about the fights at that game... the worst fights, by far, in any game I've ever seen.* it made for a memorable day.* Dang, over 40 years ago. And, the Jets haven't made it back to the Big One since then... ahhhh, what a shame.</P>

Ill never forget hearing the stories from my dad and brother after that game....I thought my dad was gonna kill me because I was supposed to be back from "that little concert" on Sat. but didnt make it back until Monday afternoon....but Zim..I just couldnt miss the Who!!!!! thats why I went in the first place.....

but dad never said a word.....they did tell me about lots of fights among fans and a very rowdy situation....

thats one of the only games Ive missed since I was 9 years old......I used to wonder if there were other people out there as obsessed about this team as me....and since I found these boards .....I found im not alone.....

...and yup....Wellington canned Sherman right after that game.....took him long enough...hahahaha

they hired Webster.....

Alex won his first home game as head coach where Scramblin Fran threw 3 TDs in a 4th quarter comeback against who?

...and why was this game significant for the scrambling QB?

Z

zimonami
02-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Ill never forget hearing the stories from my dad and brother after that game....I thought my dad was gonna kill me because I was supposed to be back from "that little concert" on Sat. but didnt make it back until Monday afternoon....but Zim..I just couldnt miss the Who!!!!! thats why I went in the first place..... but dad never said a word.....they did tell me about lots of fights among fans and a very rowdy situation.... thats one of the only games Ive missed since I was 9 years old......I used to wonder if there were other people out there as obsessed about this team as me....and since I found these boards .....I found im not alone..... ...and yup....Wellington canned Sherman right after that game.....took him long enough...hahahaha they hired Webster..... Alex won his first home game as head coach where Scramblin Fran threw 3 TDs in a 4th quarter comeback against who? ...and why was this game significant for the scrambling QB? Z</P>

That was against his old team... Minny. We ended up 6-8, but Minny was 12-2, with us getting one of those wins against themthat year, and they lost in the SB to KC. </P>

YATittle1962
02-10-2010, 05:04 PM
*** Ill never forget hearing the stories from my dad and brother after that game....I thought my dad was gonna kill me because I was supposed to be back from "that little concert" on Sat. but didnt make it back until Monday afternoon....but Zim..I just couldnt miss the Who!!!!! thats why I went in the first place..... but dad never said a word.....they did tell me about lots of fights among fans and a very rowdy situation.... thats one of the only games Ive missed since I was 9 years old......I used to wonder if there were other people out there as obsessed about this team as me....and since I found these boards .....I found im not alone..... ...and yup....Wellington canned Sherman right after that game.....took him long enough...hahahaha they hired Webster..... Alex won his first home game as head coach where Scramblin Fran threw 3 TDs in a 4th quarter comeback against who? ...and why was this game significant for the scrambling QB? Z</P>

That was against his old team... Minny.* We ended up 6-8, but Minny was 12-2, with us getting one of those wins against them*that year, and they lost in the SB to KC.* </P>

I thought we were going to the SB in 1970

I remember having a great feeling

SEC105
02-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Name 4 ex Giants HCAlex Webster brought in for his first training camp [1970]</P>

Z</P>

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-10-2010, 08:37 PM

</P>

</P>

</P>

yea, I've been in Florida for 26 years now. Hope the new stadium is to your liking.</P>

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Name 4 ex Giants HCAlex Webster brought in for his first training camp [1970]</P>

Z</P>

</P>

Phil King, Darell Dess, Jimmy Patton, Erich Barnes.</P>

YATittle1962
02-10-2010, 08:52 PM
Name 4 ex Giants HC*Alex Webster brought in for his first training camp [1970]</P>

Z</P>

</P>

loved the Chief

YATittle1962
02-11-2010, 11:24 AM
ok guys.....I just watched the YA Tittle interview with Harry Carson in the media section of giants.com......Harry asks his about the famous head bleeding photo......

in his answer YA says it was againts the Bears......now I never claimed my memory is the best in the world, but him being my favorite player ever I know my YA history , and I could swear it was against the Steelers after a hit by DE John Baker....

is YA slipping in his old age....or for all these years have I been remembering the wrong game?

ZIMMYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!???????

zimonami
02-11-2010, 01:11 PM
ok guys.....I just watched the YA Tittle interview with Harry Carson in the media section of giants.com......Harry asks his about the famous head bleeding photo...... in his answer YA says it was againts the Bears......now I never claimed my memory is the best in the world, but him being my favorite player ever I know my YA history , and I could swear it was against the Steelers after a hit by DE John Baker.... is YA slipping in his old age....or for all these years have I been remembering the wrong game? ZIMMYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!???????</P>

Wow! Everything inside of me says Steelers. And, yes, it was John Baker who hit him. I could even swear I watched the game on TV. In that photo, I don't think they show anyone else that we could identify as being with a particular team.</P>

Yeah, Can YA's memory be wrong? Have to do some digging and see.</P>

zimonami
02-11-2010, 01:15 PM
This is from Wiki... everything says Steelers!</P>

Wikipedia ---- The only thing missing from Tittle's impressive résumé was an NFL championship. The Giants lost the title game every year from 1961 to 1963. The 1963 game was especially disappointing, as Tittle hurt his leg while the Giants were losing to the <FONT color=#002bb8>Chicago Bears</FONT> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Bears) 14-10.</P>

A 1964 photo of a dazed Tittle on the field taken by Morris Berman of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is regarded among the most iconic images in the history of sports. Tittle, who was in the final season of his career, was photographed helmet-less, bloodied and kneeling immediately after having been knocked to the ground by a Steelers defender and throwing an interception that was returned for a touchdown. The quarterback had suffered both a concussion and cracked sternum on the play. He would go on to play out the rest of the season, but the Giants would finish a disappointing 2-10-2.</P>

Post-Gazette editors at first declined to run the photo, citing a lack of action, but Berman entered the image into contests where it took on a life of its own, winning a National Headliner Award. The photo was ineligible for a Pulitzer Prize because it was not published, but it is regarded as having changed the way that photographers look at sports, having shown the power of capturing a moment of reaction. It now hangs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.</P>

After at first having failed to seen the appeal of the image, Tittle eventually would grow to embrace it, putting it on the back cover of his 2009 autobiography. "That was the end of the road," he told the Los Angeles Times in 2008. "It was the end of my dream. It was over."</P>

In a career lasting 17 years, Tittle passed for 33,070 yards, and 242 touchdowns, and twice received the <FONT color=#002bb8>NFL Most Valuable Player Award</FONT> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Most_Valuable_Player_Award). In 1971, he was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.</P>

YATittle1962
02-11-2010, 01:33 PM
I think he is mistaken because looking deeper into that picture it doesnt look like Wrigley Field at all.....and looks a lot like old Pitt Stadium

SEC105
02-11-2010, 04:52 PM

Z</P>

</P>

loved the Chief</P>

Although it's totally possible Big Red did bring these guys in as players , I should have beeen more specific on this question. What ex Giants did he bring in as Coaches?</P>

Z</P>

SEC105
02-11-2010, 04:55 PM
I think he is mistaken because looking deeper into that picture it doesnt look like Wrigley Field at all.....and looks a lot like old Pitt Stadium</P>

I'm 99% sure it was the Steelers and it was Baker.....gotta give YA a pass [no pun intended] on this one...it happens. The man is alegend</P>

Z</P>

YATittle1962
02-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Name 4 ex Giants HC*Alex Webster brought in for his first training camp [1970]</P>

Z</P>

</P>

loved the Chief</P>

Although it's totally possible Big Red did bring these guys in as players , I should have beeen more specific on this question. What ex Giants did he bring in as Coaches?</P>

Z</P>

was it him or Allie that had Kyle Rote?

zimonami
02-12-2010, 12:04 AM
I think he is mistaken because looking deeper into that picture it doesnt look like Wrigley Field at all.....and looks a lot like old Pitt Stadium</P>

I'm 99% sure it was the Steelers and it was Baker.....gotta give YA a pass [no pun intended] on this one...it happens. The man is alegend</P>

Z</P>

</P>

You look at the pic and look into YA's eyes. Is it any wonder he dis-remembers?</P>

Who started that disremembers stuff? Roger Clemens?</P>

Only Roger's disremembering was a matter of convenience. YA's was from years of brutal head hits... and surely many concussions.</P>

But, back in those days it was like... "it's probably only a concussion. YA can go back in." They'd only be worried if he couldn't remember the plays.</P>

Remember Jack Youngblood. "I can play coach... it's only a broken leg."</P>

SEC105
02-12-2010, 04:31 PM

Z</P>

</P>

You look at the pic and look into YA's eyes. Is it any wonder he dis-remembers?</P>

Who started that disremembers stuff? Roger Clemens?</P>

Only Roger's disremembering was a matter of convenience. YA's was from years of brutal head hits... and surely many concussions.</P>

But, back in those days it was like... "it's probably only a concussion. YA can go back in." They'd only be worried if he couldn't remember the plays.</P>

Remember Jack Youngblood. "I can play coach... it's only a broken leg."</P>

</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1&amp;playnext_from=TL&amp;videos=P6AL8gHis Lk&amp;v=Ik9hIrw08t4</P>

It's amazing some of the shots these took over the years. No wonder some may be confused on just which ones an interviewer may be talking about when questioning them. Notice how many from days gone by are now illegal and would be 15 yards plus a fine</P>

Z</P>

bigblue4417
02-12-2010, 04:39 PM
So maybe I should know this, and I believe I do but......

Before 86 had the Giants every played in an NFC Championship game?

YATittle1962
02-12-2010, 04:44 PM

nope that was the first one.....

first championship game in the Superbowl era....

bigblue4417
02-12-2010, 04:53 PM

nope that was the first one.....

first championship game in the Superbowl era....
And what a game it was....

I was barely 5 lol

SEC105
02-12-2010, 04:54 PM

Z</P>

</P>

loved the Chief</P>

Z</P>

was it him or Allie that had Kyle Rote?</P>

I thought Kyle Rote went into sportscasting but he may have coached. Allie Sherman was fired right before the season started in 69 so Alex Webster was really put in a bad spot. 1970 was his first real training camp. As HC "Big Red" brought in at least 4 ex well known Giants as assistant coachesthat year</P>

Z</P>

YATittle1962
02-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Name 4 ex Giants HCAlex Webster brought in for his first training camp [1970]</p>

Z</p>

</p>

Phil King, Darell Dess, Jimmy Patton, Erich Barnes.</p>

loved the Chief</p>

Although it's totally possible Big Red did bring these guys in as players , I should have beeen more specific on this question. What ex Giants did he bring in as Coaches?</p>

Z</p>

was it him or Allie that had Kyle Rote?</p>

I thought Kyle Rote went into sportscasting but he may have coached. Allie Sherman was fired right before the season started in 69 so Alex Webster was really put in a bad spot. 1970 was his first real training camp. As HC "Big Red" brought in at least 4 ex well known Giants as assistant coachesthat year</p>

Z</p>

Rote was definitely the backfield coach for the Giants.... ...just not sure if it was under Webster or Sherman

pretty sure it was under Sherman

ny06
02-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Giants 17 Redskins 0

What a game...

http://i47.tinypic.com/2hyv3ad.jpg

SEC105
02-12-2010, 05:45 PM

nope that was the first one..... first championship game in the Superbowl era....

I was barely 5 lol

</P>

5?.......good...... then you were plenty old enough [;)]to know this one. How many passes did Simms complete in that 1986 NFC Championship17-0 win over the Redskins and how many went for TDs? Anybody?</P>

Z</P>

ny06
02-12-2010, 05:52 PM
sean landeta played great that game. The winds were horrible. And he still punted well.

http://i50.tinypic.com/i2twm8.jpg

SEC105
02-12-2010, 06:01 PM
sean landeta played great that game. The winds were horrible. And he still punted well. http://i50.tinypic.com/i2twm8.jpg</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1&amp;playnext_from=TL&amp;videos=7SDbZ1xqJ Z8&amp;v=KNmS6rafyv0</P>

This must have been in the back of his mind that day. Winds were just as bad and he had a good day.............plus my guess is he did not want to have to "explain" anything to Parcels this time around[;)]</P>

Z</P>

ny06
02-12-2010, 06:07 PM
sean landeta played great that game. The winds were horrible. And he still punted well. http://i50.tinypic.com/i2twm8.jpg</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1&playnext_from=TL&videos=7SDbZ1xqJZ8&v=KNmS6rafyv0</P>

This must have been in the back of his mind that day. Winds were just as bad and he had a good day.............plus my guess is he did not want to have to "explain" anything to Parcels this time around[;)]</P>

Z</P>

It must have been in the back of Parcells mind. The previous season when the Giants played the Bears in the Divisional round. Landeta whiffed at the punt. After that the game went all Chicago’s way

Roswell777
02-12-2010, 07:03 PM

nope that was the first one..... first championship game in the Superbowl era....

I was barely 5 lol

</p>

5?.......good...... then you were plenty old enough [;)]to know this one. How many passes did Simms complete in that 1986 NFC Championship17-0 win over the Redskins and how many went for TDs? Anybody?</p>

Z</p>

</p>

I know he threw a TD to Lionel Manuel coming across the middle of the end zone, I'm trying to remember the other TD. Had to be either Morris on a sweep or Bavaro on a seam pattern. Just guesses. As far as completed passes, it was not a cold day but it was really windy, I'll guess 14 completed passes.</p>

</p>

</p>

YATittle1962
02-12-2010, 07:03 PM

I was barely 5 lol

</P>

5?.......good...... then you were plenty old enough [;)]*to know this one*. How many passes did Simms complete in that 1986 NFC Championship*17-0 win over the Redskins and how many went for TDs?* Anybody?</P>

Z</P>

I think Simms attempted like 15 passes in that game and completed at least half of them.....

pretty sure he had one TD to Lionel Manuel.......best game ive ever been to

Roswell777
02-12-2010, 07:42 PM
It was a great game. And I was way off in how many completions Simms had in that game. I won't give it away but the answer will surprise you guys.

zimonami
02-12-2010, 08:28 PM

I was barely 5 lol

</P>

5?.......good...... then you were plenty old enough [;)]to know this one. How many passes did Simms complete in that 1986 NFC Championship17-0 win over the Redskins and how many went for TDs? Anybody?</P>

Z</P>

I think Simms attempted like 15 passes in that game and completed at least half of them..... pretty sure he had one TD to Lionel Manuel.......best game ive ever been to</P>

Yeah, the best game ever at Giant Stadium.</P>

I guess YA is wrong, cuz SEC didn't confirm it. I also remembered about 15 passes... if YA is right and he completed half of them, then Phil completed 7.5 passes... lol</P>

So, it must be 7 for 14, or 8 for 16. </P>

We ran over 40 times, and we didn't exactly tear it up, but we made the decision to go on defense at the beginning, with Washington immediately against the wind... a great move... and we got the early scores and controlled the clock, so poor Schroeder had to pass 40-50 times in that wind to try and catch up.</P>

rbcarpenter
02-13-2010, 04:04 PM

I was barely 5 lol

</p>

5?.......good...... then you were plenty old enough [;)]to know this one. How many passes did Simms complete in that 1986 NFC Championship17-0 win over the Redskins and how many went for TDs? Anybody?</p>

Z</p>

I think Simms attempted like 15 passes in that game and completed at least half of them..... pretty sure he had one TD to Lionel Manuel.......best game ive ever been to</p>

Yeah, the best game ever at Giant Stadium.</p>

I guess YA is wrong, cuz SEC didn't confirm it. I also remembered about 15 passes... if YA is right and he completed half of them, then Phil completed 7.5 passes... lol</p>

So, it must be 7 for 14, or 8 for 16. </p>

We ran over 40 times, and we didn't exactly tear it up, but we made the decision to go on defense at the beginning, with Washington immediately against the wind... a great move... and we got the early scores and controlled the clock, so poor Schroeder had to pass 40-50 times in that wind to try and catch up.</p>i'm pretty sure he only completed 6 or 7 passes all day,one for a td to lionel manuel.

GiantsWinAlltime
02-13-2010, 04:09 PM

I was barely 5 lol

</P>

Z</P> I think Simms attempted like 15 passes in that game and completed at least half of them..... pretty sure he had one TD to Lionel Manuel.......best game ive ever been toGood for you old timer.

SEC105
02-13-2010, 06:01 PM

I was barely 5 lol

</p>

5?.......good...... then you were plenty old enough [;)]*to know this one*. How many passes did Simms complete in that 1986 NFC Championship*17-0 win over the Redskins and how many went for TDs?* Anybody?</p>

Z</p>

I think Simms attempted like 15 passes in that game and completed at least half of them..... pretty sure he had one TD to Lionel Manuel.......best game ive ever been to</p>

Yeah, the best game ever at Giant Stadium.</p>

I guess YA is wrong, cuz SEC didn't confirm it. I also remembered about 15 passes... if YA is right and he completed half of them, then Phil completed 7.5 passes... lol</p>

So, it must be 7 for 14, or 8 for 16.* </p>

We ran over 40 times, and we didn't exactly tear it up, but we made the decision to go on defense at the beginning, with Washington immediately against the wind... a great move... and we got the early scores and controlled the clock, so poor Schroeder had to pass 40-50 times in that wind to try and catch up.</p>i'm pretty sure he only completed 6 or 7 passes all day,one for a td to lionel manuel.

You guys are all very close.....Simms was 7of 14 for under a hundred yards but one of those was that TD pass to Manuel.
In that same game 4 different Giants sacked Jay Schroeder. Who were they?
Z

YATittle1962
02-13-2010, 06:30 PM

I was barely 5 lol

</P>

5?.......good...... then you were plenty old enough [;)]*to know this one*. How many passes did Simms complete in that 1986 NFC Championship*17-0 win over the Redskins and how many went for TDs?* Anybody?</P>

Z</P> I think Simms attempted like 15 passes in that game and completed at least half of them..... pretty sure he had one TD to Lionel Manuel.......best game ive ever been toGood for you old timer.

Im only 16 years older than you semi old timer.......

zimonami
02-13-2010, 11:34 PM
You guys are all very close.....Simms was 7of 14 for under a hundred yards but one of those was that TD pass to Manuel. In that same game 4 different Giants sacked Jay Schroeder. Who were they? Z</P>

I'll say Marshall, Martin, LT and Reasons.</P>

YATittle1962
02-14-2010, 12:06 AM
********* You guys are all very close.....Simms was 7of 14 for under a hundred yards but one of those was that TD pass to Manuel. In that same game 4 different Giants sacked Jay Schroeder. Who were they? Z</P>

ill agree...but swap LT for Banks....

I remember my son saying ...the only thing that could make that game more perfect would be if Taylor got a sack

GiantsWinAlltime
02-14-2010, 02:28 AM

I was barely 5 lol

</P>

Z</P> I think Simms attempted like 15 passes in that game and completed at least half of them..... pretty sure he had one TD to Lionel Manuel.......best game ive ever been toGood for you old timer. Im only 16 years older than you semi old timer.......I'm young enough to come from your balls? Well man is that something.

YATittle1962
02-14-2010, 05:21 PM
what number did Chris Snee wear as a rookie?

keyofgmen
02-14-2010, 05:27 PM

67?

YATittle1962
02-14-2010, 05:32 PM

67?

give the man a cigar......

nice job key

YATittle1962
02-14-2010, 05:35 PM
who was the last Giant to wear #11 before Simms?

keyofgmen
02-14-2010, 06:31 PM

I'll go two in a row with the*
Randy Johnson in early 70s. Barely remember him.

keyofgmen
02-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Name this Giant.

#81 for Giants. Although he caught only one pass with Giants, this Hall of Famer did catch one TD pass for another team prior to coming to Giants. Needless to say he did not get in to HOF for his pass catching ability.

Roswell777
02-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Name this Giant.

#81 for Giants. Although he caught only one pass with Giants, this Hall of Famer did catch one TD pass for another team prior to coming to Giants. Needless to say he did not get in to HOF for his pass catching ability.

A robust question deserves a robust answer. That's all I'm writing, so other people can guess.

keyofgmen
02-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Name this Giant.

A robust question deserves a robust answer.* That's all I'm writing, so other people can guess.

Too good a clue!

Roswell777
02-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Name this Giant.

A robust question deserves a robust answer. That's all I'm writing, so other people can guess.

Too good a clue!

Sorry Key, but at least now I know I have the right answer.

YATittle1962
02-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Name this Giant.

big Andy

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Name this Giant. #81 for Giants. Although he caught only one pass with Giants, this Hall of Famer did catch one TD pass for another team prior to coming to Giants. Needless to say he did not get in to HOF for his pass catching ability.</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>Well let's just say I grew up with A as my neighbor 3 doors down in Stamford, Ct. and went to high schoiole with his sons.</FONT></P>

YATittle1962
02-14-2010, 07:45 PM

I'll go two in a row with the*
Randy Johnson in early 70s. Barely remember him.

you get the * key....

heres one.....

name 2 jersey numbers that were retired for a player.....and later brought out of retirement for players to wear.........while staying retired.....

if that makes any sense

also name the players who wore them

zimonami
02-14-2010, 08:37 PM
who was the last Giant to wear #11 before Simms? I'll go two in a row with the* Randy Johnson in early 70s. Barely remember him. you get the * key.... heres one..... name 2 jersey numbers that were retired for a player.....and later brought out of retirement for players to wear.........while staying retired..... if that makes any sense also name the players who wore them</P>

This is an excellent question. Making me think, hard</P>

OK. I know Norm Snead wore Giff's #16... but I don't know if it was retired before Norm Played.</P>

If that's one, I'm grilling my brain for #2. Seems to me it would have to be someone we traded for, and allowed them to keep their old number. Craig Morton was #14 with Dallas, but took #15 with the Giants... I'll bet that would have ticked you off, YA, if they had let him keep 14. Anyways, I'm thinking on who the other one is.</P>

I'm thinking it could be a #32, which Al Blozis retired. But, OJ Anderson was #32 with the Cards, and switched to #24 when he came here, so it has to be someone else.</P>

</P>

YATittle1962
02-14-2010, 09:02 PM
who was the last Giant to wear #11 before Simms? I'll go two in a row with the* Randy Johnson in early 70s. Barely remember him. you get the * key.... heres one..... name 2 jersey numbers that were retired for a player.....and later brought out of retirement for players to wear.........while staying retired..... if that makes any sense also name the players who wore them</P>

This is an excellent question.* Making me think, hard</P>

OK.* I know Norm Snead wore Giff's #16... but I don't know if it was retired before Norm Played.</P>

If that's one, I'm grilling my brain for #2.* Seems to me it would have to be someone we traded for, and allowed them to keep their old number.* Craig Morton was #14 with Dallas, but took #15 with the Giants... I'll bet that would have ticked you off, YA, if they had let him keep 14.* Anyways, I'm thinking on who the other one is.</P>

I'm thinking it could be a #32, which Al Blozis retired. But, OJ Anderson was #32 with the Cards, and switched to #24 when he came here, so it has to be someone else.</P>

*</P>

I would have hated for another Giant to wear 14.......

Im pretty sure 16 was retired when Frank was inducted into the HOF in 77......so it was still eligible when Norm wore it.....

these guys im thinking of are way before all of our times.....kind of a not fair question......but ill wait to see if anyone knows it.....or can look it up

zimonami
02-14-2010, 11:19 PM

OK. I know Norm Snead wore Giff's #16... but I don't know if it was retired before Norm Played.</P>

If that's one, I'm grilling my brain for #2. Seems to me it would have to be someone we traded for, and allowed them to keep their old number. Craig Morton was #14 with Dallas, but took #15 with the Giants... I'll bet that would have ticked you off, YA, if they had let him keep 14. Anyways, I'm thinking on who the other one is.</P>

</P>

I would have hated for another Giant to wear 14....... Im pretty sure 16 was retired when Frank was inducted into the HOF in 77......so it was still eligible when Norm wore it..... these guys im thinking of are way before all of our times.....kind of a not fair question......but ill wait to see if anyone knows it.....or can look it up</P>

Wow, I researched back to '49, but couldn't spot anyone wearing a retired number. Someone else might get it.</P>

Every time I get on this topic I have to wonder why the Giants haven't retired more numbers. #53 jumps right out at you, but there are others, like Emlen, and maybe Kyle, Rosie... If they're good enough for the HOF, and played most or all of their careers with the Giants, then why not retire their Giant jersey?</P>

YATittle1962
02-15-2010, 12:17 AM

This is an excellent question.* Making me think, hard</P>

OK.* I know Norm Snead wore Giff's #16... but I don't know if it was retired before Norm Played.</P>

If that's one, I'm grilling my brain for #2.* Seems to me it would have to be someone we traded for, and allowed them to keep their old number.* Craig Morton was #14 with Dallas, but took #15 with the Giants... I'll bet that would have ticked you off, YA, if they had let him keep 14.* Anyways, I'm thinking on who the other one is.</P>

*</P>

I would have hated for another Giant to wear 14....... Im pretty sure 16 was retired when Frank was inducted into the HOF in 77......so it was still eligible when Norm wore it..... these guys im thinking of are way before all of our times.....kind of a not fair question......but ill wait to see if anyone knows it.....or can look it up</P>

Wow, I researched back to '49, but couldn't spot anyone wearing a retired number.* Someone else might get it.</P>

Every time I get on this topic I have to wonder why the Giants haven't retired more numbers.* #53 jumps right out at you, but there are others, like Emlen, and maybe Kyle, Rosie... If they're good enough for the HOF, and played most or all of their careers with the Giants, then why not retire their Giant jersey?</P>

without a doubt....Harry Carson and Rosey Brown should be retired.......

and until other guys are anywhere near as worthy as those two warriors are ......it shouldnt even be considered ......

maybe Stra in the distant future.......and maybe Amani

zimonami
02-15-2010, 12:37 AM

</P>

Wow, I researched back to '49, but couldn't spot anyone wearing a retired number. Someone else might get it.</P>

Every time I get on this topic I have to wonder why the Giants haven't retired more numbers. #53 jumps right out at you, but there are others, like Emlen, and maybe Kyle, Rosie... If they're good enough for the HOF, and played most or all of their careers with the Giants, then why not retire their Giant jersey?</P>

without a doubt....Harry Carson and Rosey Brown should be retired....... and until other guys are anywhere near as worthy as those two warriors are ......it shouldnt even be considered ...... maybe Stra in the distant future.......and maybe Amani</P>

I'll second Stray, and maybe Amani in the future, but let's get Carson and Rosiein there... both arein the HOF and gave ustheir sweat and blood for years, butthey're #'s arenot retired?</P>

gmen 24/7
02-15-2010, 04:12 AM
Who was the last Giants linebacker to get the NFC defensive player of the week award?

gmen 24/7
02-15-2010, 04:14 AM
who was the last Giant to wear #11 before Simms? I'll go two in a row with the* Randy Johnson in early 70s. Barely remember him. you get the * key.... heres one..... name 2 jersey numbers that were retired for a player.....and later brought out of retirement for players to wear.........while staying retired..... if that makes any sense also name the players who wore them</p>

This is an excellent question. Making me think, hard</p>

OK. I know Norm Snead wore Giff's #16... but I don't know if it was retired before Norm Played.</p>

If that's one, I'm grilling my brain for #2. Seems to me it would have to be someone we traded for, and allowed them to keep their old number. Craig Morton was #14 with Dallas, but took #15 with the Giants... I'll bet that would have ticked you off, YA, if they had let him keep 14. Anyways, I'm thinking on who the other one is.</p>

I'm thinking it could be a #32, which Al Blozis retired. But, OJ Anderson was #32 with the Cards, and switched to #24 when he came here, so it has to be someone else.</p>

</p>

I would have hated for another Giant to wear 14....... Im pretty sure 16 was retired when Frank was inducted into the HOF in 77......so it was still eligible when Norm wore it..... these guys im thinking of are way before all of our times.....kind of a not fair question......but ill wait to see if anyone knows it.....or can look it up</p>

Wow, I researched back to '49, but couldn't spot anyone wearing a retired number. Someone else might get it.</p>

Every time I get on this topic I have to wonder why the Giants haven't retired more numbers. #53 jumps right out at you, but there are others, like Emlen, and maybe Kyle, Rosie... If they're good enough for the HOF, and played most or all of their careers with the Giants, then why not retire their Giant jersey?</p>

without a doubt....Harry Carson and Rosey Brown should be retired....... and until other guys are anywhere near as worthy as those two warriors are ......it shouldnt even be considered ...... maybe Stra in the distant future.......and maybe Amani</p>

I'll second Stray, and maybe Amani in the future, but let's get Carson and Rosiein there... both arein the HOF and gave ustheir sweat and blood for years, butthey're #'s arenot retired?</p>They had a talk about this I think they said they are running out of numbers for certain positions so they are trying not to retire numbers now... LOL!

YATittle1962
02-15-2010, 10:56 AM
who was the last Giant to wear #11 before Simms? I'll go two in a row with the* Randy Johnson in early 70s. Barely remember him. you get the * key.... heres one..... name 2 jersey numbers that were retired for a player.....and later brought out of retirement for players to wear.........while staying retired..... if that makes any sense also name the players who wore them</p>

This is an excellent question.* Making me think, hard</p>

OK.* I know Norm Snead wore Giff's #16... but I don't know if it was retired before Norm Played.</p>

If that's one, I'm grilling my brain for #2.* Seems to me it would have to be someone we traded for, and allowed them to keep their old number.* Craig Morton was #14 with Dallas, but took #15 with the Giants... I'll bet that would have ticked you off, YA, if they had let him keep 14.* Anyways, I'm thinking on who the other one is.</p>

I'm thinking it could be a #32, which Al Blozis retired. But, OJ Anderson was #32 with the Cards, and switched to #24 when he came here, so it has to be someone else.</p>

*</p>

I would have hated for another Giant to wear 14....... Im pretty sure 16 was retired when Frank was inducted into the HOF in 77......so it was still eligible when Norm wore it..... these guys im thinking of are way before all of our times.....kind of a not fair question......but ill wait to see if anyone knows it.....or can look it up</p>

Wow, I researched back to '49, but couldn't spot anyone wearing a retired number.* Someone else might get it.</p>

Every time I get on this topic I have to wonder why the Giants haven't retired more numbers.* #53 jumps right out at you, but there are others, like Emlen, and maybe Kyle, Rosie... If they're good enough for the HOF, and played most or all of their careers with the Giants, then why not retire their Giant jersey?</p>

without a doubt....Harry Carson and Rosey Brown should be retired....... and until other guys are anywhere near as worthy as those two warriors are ......it shouldnt even be considered ...... maybe Stra in the distant future.......and maybe Amani</p>

I'll second Stray, and maybe Amani in the future, but let's get Carson and Rosie*in there... both are*in the HOF and gave us*their sweat and blood for years, but*they're #'s are*not retired?</p>They had a talk about this I think they said they are running out of numbers for certain positions so they are trying not to retire numbers now... LOL!

im sure they can spare 53 and 79 for two guys that bled for the team for 24 years combined with 18 all pros between them

YATittle1962
02-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Who was the last Giants linebacker to get the NFC defensive player of the week award?

pretty sure it was Boley....I could be wrong

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-15-2010, 08:19 PM

</P>

</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>Mel Hein is somehow involved in this!</FONT></P>

zimonami
02-15-2010, 08:32 PM

</P>

</P>

</P>

he was #7. I can't think of another who wore 7, except, of course, for Mick.</P>

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-15-2010, 08:35 PM

</P>

</P>

</P>

he was #7. I can't think of another who wore 7, except, of course, for Mick.</P>

</P>

</P>

"the Mick" ! my boyhood idol !</P>

I still say Hein is involved in some sinister way.</P>

YATittle1962
02-15-2010, 09:36 PM
ok...this was kind of a cheap question because none of us were really around for any of these guys ...but....

After Ray Flaherty's #1 was retired (he left the Giants in 1935) Frank Cope wore #1 in 1946; Supposedly Tuffy Leemans' #4 was retired in 1940, but he wore it through 1943 and Leland Shaffer was #4 in 1945

zimonami
02-15-2010, 11:22 PM
ok...this was kind of a cheap question because none of us were really around for any of these guys ...but.... After Ray Flaherty's #1 was retired (he left the Giants in 1935) Frank Cope wore #1 in 1946; Supposedly Tuffy Leemans' #4 was retired in 1940, but he wore it through 1943 and Leland Shaffer was #4 in 1945</P>

Of course, Cope and Shaffer... their names were right there on the tip of my tongue.</P>

No sinister use of Hein's #, BB62.</P>

keyofgmen
02-16-2010, 09:01 AM
I figured it had to be those 2 numbers, but couldn't find out who wore them after. Went to my most reliable site but gave up after my wife wanted to go out that day! Nice job pulling that one up YA.

SEC105
02-16-2010, 06:22 PM
You guys are all very close.....Simms was 7of 14 for under a hundred yards but one of those was that TD pass to Manuel. In that same game 4 different Giants sacked Jay Schroeder. Who were they? Z</P>

ill agree...but swap LT for Banks.... I remember my son saying ...the only thing that could make that game more perfect would be if Taylor got a sack</P>

You guys are good.It was Marshall , Martin and Reasons. Eric Dorsey also had one. LT had a bad leg in that game if you remember</P>

Can you guys name the left footed punter we had around 1970. He may have played only one year and is the only lefty I can remember. He had the same name as a formerUSAwinter olympic hero</P>

Z</P>

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-16-2010, 06:28 PM
ok...this was kind of a cheap question because none of us were really around for any of these guys ...but.... After Ray Flaherty's #1 was retired (he left the Giants in 1935) Frank Cope wore #1 in 1946; Supposedly Tuffy Leemans' #4 was retired in 1940, but he wore it through 1943 and Leland Shaffer was #4 in 1945</P>

I refuse to accept this! Mel Hein had to be involved![:D]</P>

YATittle1962
02-16-2010, 10:36 PM
********* You guys are all very close.....Simms was 7of 14 for under a hundred yards but one of those was that TD pass to Manuel. In that same game 4 different Giants sacked Jay Schroeder. Who were they? Z</P>

ill agree...but swap LT for Banks.... I remember my son saying ...the only thing that could make that game more perfect would be if Taylor got a sack</P>

You guys are good.It was Marshall , Martin and Reasons. Eric Dorsey also had one. LT had a bad leg in that game if you remember</P>

Can you guys name the left footed punter we had around 1970. He may have played only one year and is the only lefty I can remember. He had the same name as a former*USA*winter olympic hero</P>

Z</P>

pretty sure that was Blanchard....cant remember his first name...

he played for the Saints for a long time

SEC105
02-17-2010, 10:34 AM

Can you guys name the left footed punter we had around 1970. He may have played only one year and is the only lefty I can remember. He had the same name as a former*USA*winter olympic hero</P>

Z</P>

Good call YA.....but it was not Blanchard. This guy played right before Blanchard came on board. A lefty punter
Z

jints10
02-17-2010, 11:21 AM
You guys are all very close.....Simms was 7of 14 for under a hundred yards but one of those was that TD pass to Manuel. In that same game 4 different Giants sacked Jay Schroeder. Who were they? Z</p>

I'll say Marshall, Martin, LT and Reasons.</p>

ill agree...but swap LT for Banks.... I remember my son saying ...the only thing that could make that game more perfect would be if Taylor got a sack</p>

You guys are good.It was Marshall , Martin and Reasons. Eric Dorsey also had one. LT had a bad leg in that game if you remember</p>

Can you guys name the left footed punter we had around 1970. He may have played only one year and is the only lefty I can remember. He had the same name as a formerUSAwinter olympic hero</p>

Z</p>

Good call YA.....but it was not Blanchard. This guy played right before Blanchard came on board. A lefty punter
Z
Was it Bob Johnson or something like that?

YATittle1962
02-17-2010, 12:51 PM
********* You guys are all very close.....Simms was 7of 14 for under a hundred yards but one of those was that TD pass to Manuel. In that same game 4 different Giants sacked Jay Schroeder. Who were they? Z</p>

I'll say Marshall, Martin, LT and Reasons.</p>

ill agree...but swap LT for Banks.... I remember my son saying ...the only thing that could make that game more perfect would be if Taylor got a sack</p>

You guys are good.It was Marshall , Martin and Reasons. Eric Dorsey also had one. LT had a bad leg in that game if you remember</p>

Can you guys name the left footed punter we had around 1970. He may have played only one year and is the only lefty I can remember. He had the same name as a former*USA*winter olympic hero</p>

Z</p>

Z

holy crap....Bill Johnson!!!!!

didnt he have like a half a cup of coffee in the league?

that guy was completely erased from my memory until just now

SEC105
02-17-2010, 04:29 PM

Can you guys name the left footed punter we had around 1970. He may have played only one year and is the only lefty I can remember. He had the same name as a formerUSAwinter olympic hero</P>

Z</P>

pretty sure that was Blanchard....cant remember his first name... he played for the Saints for a long time Good call YA.....but it was not Blanchard. This guy played right before Blanchard came on board. A lefty punter Z
holy crap....Bill Johnson!!!!! didnt he have like a half a cup of coffee in the league? that guy was completely erased from my memory until just now</P>

Bill Johnson............that was him , left footed punter.think he played one season with us. I can't think of any other left foooted punters we had</P>

Bill Johnson the downhill skierof USAOlympic fame was a great story at the time but he his life turned very badin later years</P>

Z</P>

SEC105
02-17-2010, 04:31 PM
In 1975 how many professional football [NFL]and baseball [MLB]teams used Shea Stadium?</P>

Z</P>

YATittle1962
02-17-2010, 04:48 PM
In 1975 how many professional football [NFL]*and baseball [MLB]*teams used Shea Stadium?</P>

Z</P>

Im pretty sure 4

Mets, Jets, Giants, and if this was the years of Yankee Stadium renovations.....the Yankees....

I hated going to games at Shea

fantastic question

Z

SEC105
02-17-2010, 04:56 PM
In 1975 how many professional football [NFL]and baseball [MLB]teams used Shea Stadium?</P>

Z</P>

Im pretty sure 4 Mets, Jets, Giants, and if this was the years of Yankee Stadium renovations.....the Yankees.... fantastic question Z</P>

Yup that was all of em YA..............pretty sure the powers that be around that time were scrambling and hoping Yankee Stadium and Giants Stadium would be a go in 1976. As I recall they were ready to do the same again if construction was not complete on the other facilities. Must have kept the grounds crew very busy@ Shea in 1975 lol</P>

Z</P>

SEC105
02-17-2010, 05:41 PM
In our first "home" game @ Shea Stadium circa 1975 who did we play and who was our punt returner. I was going to put his name in that other thread about obscure Giantsnamesbut I like it better here[;)]</P>

Z</P>

jints10
02-17-2010, 05:52 PM
In our first "home" game @ Shea Stadium circa 1975 who did we play and who was our punt returner. I was going to put his name in that other thread about obscure Giantsnamesbut I like it better here[;)]</p>

Z</p>
Not sure of who we opened at home with just an NFC East guess of Eagles, but was the returner Danny "Lightning" Buggs?

SEC105
02-17-2010, 06:04 PM
In our first "home" game @ Shea Stadium circa 1975 who did we play and who was our punt returner. I was going to put his name in that other thread about obscure Giantsnamesbut I like it better here[;)]</P>

Z</P>

Not sure of who we opened at home with just an NFC East guess of Eagles, but was the returner Danny "Lightning" Buggs?
</P>

That was him Jints 10 nice...........could'nt just post old "Lightning Buggs" in somesoon to be forgotten thread [Giants obscure names]and have no one realize who he was. Fast little bugger[;)] We lost to Dallas in our first game @ Shea.......different Stadium but same story. Who was theDallas kicker at that time?</P>

Z</P>

Roswell777
02-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Danny Buggs. Wow. That's why I love this thread. Names you'd never think of anywhere else. Well, if it wasn't Buggs was it Leon Bright?

SEC105
02-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Danny Buggs. Wow. That's why I love this thread. Names you'd never think of anywhere else. Well, if it wasn't Buggs was it Leon Bright?

</P>

LOL Ros................Leon never heard of afair catch signal....He was crazy!</P>

Z</P>

jints10
02-17-2010, 06:33 PM
In our first "home" game @ Shea Stadium circa 1975 who did we play and who was our punt returner. I was going to put his name in that other thread about obscure Giantsnamesbut I like it better here[;)]</p>

Z</p>

</p>

That was him Jints 10 nice...........could'nt just post old "Lightning Buggs" in somesoon to be forgotten thread [Giants obscure names]and have no one realize who he was. Fast little bugger[;)] We lost to Dallas in our first game @ Shea.......different Stadium but same story. Who was theDallas kicker at that time?</p>

Z</p>
I was thinkin either him or Leon "All The Way" McQuay but I'm pretty sure McQuay only played with the Giants in "74".

No idea who the Dallas punter was

rbcarpenter
02-17-2010, 08:27 PM

Z</p>

</p>

That was him Jints 10 nice...........could'nt just post old "Lightning Buggs" in somesoon to be forgotten thread [Giants obscure names]and have no one realize who he was. Fast little bugger[;)] We lost to Dallas in our first game @ Shea.......different Stadium but same story. Who was theDallas kicker at that time?</p>

Z</p>
I was thinkin either him or Leon "All The Way" McQuay but I'm pretty sure McQuay only played with the Giants in "74".

was the dallas kicker toni fritcsh?

YATittle1962
02-17-2010, 10:21 PM
wow....Danny Buggs....you guys are great......hahahahaha....

what round was Danny drafted?

.....and what were the two different numbers Danny wore as a Giant?

jints10
02-18-2010, 09:20 AM
wow....Danny Buggs....you guys are great......hahahahaha....

what round was Danny drafted?

.....and what were the two different numbers Danny wore as a Giant?
Buggs was drafted in the third round of the 1975 draft. He wore #s 86 and 88 with the Giants but neither were lucky for him cuz he only spent 2 seasons with Big Blue.

YATittle1962
02-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Reeves replaced Sean Landeta with who?

and what team did Sean go to?

...and what team did our new punter come from?

jints10
02-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Reeves replaced Sean Landeta with who?

and what team did Sean go to?

...and what team did our new punter come from?
They replaced Landeta with Denver's Mike Horan or as I called him Horrendous.

Was it the Rams that Landeta went to

jints10
02-18-2010, 11:57 AM
What Giants rookie MLB had 14 solo tackles vs Dallas in a 27-21 victory in the 1968 season?

He was a converted offensive guard out of Grambling.

YATittle1962
02-18-2010, 12:22 PM
What Giants rookie MLB had 14 solo tackles vs Dallas in a 27-21 victory in the 1968 season?

I know Henry Davis came out of Grambling and played a bit around that time..... but for some reason I thought he was an outside backer......

could it be him?

and yes Landeta went to the Rams

jints10
02-18-2010, 12:43 PM

I know Henry Davis came out of Grambling and played a bit around that time..... but for some reason I thought he was an outside backer......

could it be him?

It was Henry Davis, he played his entire rookie season at MLB and was moved to the outside in "69" and was off the Giants after that.

YATittle1962
02-18-2010, 01:59 PM

could it be him?

It was Henry Davis, he played his entire rookie season at MLB and was moved to the outside in "69" and was off the Giants after that.

I pulled that one out of my ***.......

I was addicted to memorizing the rosters as a kid........its almost embarrassing.....

;)

when I hear these names or positions.... I immediately see the roster from the newspaper....or the Topps card...if the player had one.....in my head....

I still have my huge collection of Giants player cards from when I was a kid......and had a good number of them graded a few years ago....

I wonder what they are worth......could be a fortune

SEC105
02-18-2010, 04:49 PM

Z</P>

</P>

That was him Jints 10 nice...........could'nt just post old "Lightning Buggs" in somesoon to be forgotten thread [Giants obscure names]and have no one realize who he was. Fast little bugger[;)] We lost to Dallas in our first game @ Shea.......different Stadium but same story. Who was theDallas kicker at that time?</P>

Z</P>

was the dallas kicker toni fritcsh?
</P>

Yes it was Toni RC..........good call</P>

Z</P>

SEC105
02-18-2010, 04:53 PM
In Super Bowl 25 when Norwood lined up for that last 47 yardFG attempt [wide right].........had it he made that kick it would have been the longest FG he ever made on a grass surface up till that point in his career.................True or false?</P>

Z</P>

zimonami
02-18-2010, 05:26 PM
In Super Bowl 25 when Norwood lined up for that last 47 yardFG attempt [wide right].........had it he made that kick it would have been the longest FG he ever made on a grass surface up till that point in his career.................True or false?</P>

Z</P>

</P>

wasn't it 43 yds, SEC? Regardless, it is hard to believe he never kicked a FG on grass longer than his SB attempt... so I gotta say No. But, the question begs to be answered Yes.</P>

Did he have any more career after that missed FG? Somebody should know.</P>

SEC105
02-18-2010, 05:30 PM

Z</P>

</P>

wasn't it 43 yds, SEC? Regardless, it is hard to believe he never kicked a FG on grass longer than his SB attempt... so I gotta say No. But, the question begs to be answered Yes.</P>

</P>

Pretty sure it was 47 yards Z.......do you want to know the answer or should I wait awhile?</P>

YATittle1962
02-18-2010, 09:48 PM
In Super Bowl 25 when Norwood lined up for that last 47 yard*FG attempt [wide right].........had it he made that kick***** it would have been the longest FG he ever made on a grass surface up till that point in his career.................True or false?</P>

Z</P>

</P>

wasn't it 43 yds, SEC?* Regardless, it is hard to believe he never kicked a FG on grass longer than his SB attempt... so I gotta say No.* But, the question begs to be answered Yes.</P>

Did he have any more career after that missed FG?* Somebody should know.</P>

</P>

Pretty sure it was 47 yards Z.......do you want to know the answer or should I wait awhile?</P>

what the hell....Ill say yes.....

I thought it was 48........we are all over the place.....hahahahaha....

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-18-2010, 09:56 PM

Z</P>

</P>

</P>

what the hell....Ill say yes..... I thought it was 48........we are all over the place.....hahahahaha....</P>

47 no doubt here</P>

SEC105
02-18-2010, 11:53 PM
In Super Bowl 25 when Norwood lined up for that last 47 yard*FG attempt [wide right].........had it he made that kick***** it would have been the longest FG he ever made on a grass surface up till that point in his career.................True or false?</P>

Z</P>

</P>

wasn't it 43 yds, SEC?* Regardless, it is hard to believe he never kicked a FG on grass longer than his SB attempt... so I gotta say No.* But, the question begs to be answered Yes.</P>

</P>

what the hell....Ill say yes..... I thought it was 48........we are all over the place.....hahahahaha....</P>

47** no doubt here</P>
Norwood had never made a field goal of that distance on grass before he attempted wide right. Just a little known fact I thought you guys might find interesting. He was 1 for 5 over that season, I believe , with kicks on grass over 40 yards.. If he had made it , it would have been the longest one [on grass] in his career up till that point
Z

zimonami
02-19-2010, 12:11 AM

Z</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

Boy, my memory is kaputski. And, I was right there standing at field level at the goal line on the side he missed on. I couldn't tell as it went by and saw the giants leaping in the air... and I knew.</P>

Well, 47 isn't a gimme... that poor guy. </P>

Does anyone remember if he played again after that season? Who replaced him?</P>

rbcarpenter
02-19-2010, 03:23 AM
In Super Bowl 25 when Norwood lined up for that last 47 yardFG attempt [wide right].........had it he made that kick it would have been the longest FG he ever made on a grass surface up till that point in his career.................True or false?</p>

Z</p>

</p>

wasn't it 43 yds, SEC? Regardless, it is hard to believe he never kicked a FG on grass longer than his SB attempt... so I gotta say No. But, the question begs to be answered Yes.</p>

Did he have any more career after that missed FG? Somebody should know.</p>

</p>

Pretty sure it was 47 yards Z.......do you want to know the answer or should I wait awhile?</p>

</p>

Boy, my memory is kaputski. And, I was right there standing at field level at the goal line on the side he missed on. I couldn't tell as it went by and saw the giants leaping in the air... and I knew.</p>

Well, 47 isn't a gimme... that poor guy. </p>

Does anyone remember if he played again after that season? Who replaced him?</p>played one more season in buffalo going 18 of 29 on fg's and 56 of 58 on pat's,and was history.sad........well,for him:)

YATittle1962
02-19-2010, 09:37 AM

Z</P>

</P>

</P>

47** no doubt here</P>
Norwood had never made a field goal of that distance on grass before he attempted wide right. Just a little known fact I thought you guys might find interesting. He was 1 for 5 over that season, I believe , with kicks on grass over 40 yards.. If he had made it , it would have been the longest one [on grass] in his career up till that point
Z

very interesting fact...did not know that...

I have randomly thought of him over the years and hoped his mental health had not caused him to crumble...

that is a horrible thing to be famous for

zimonami
02-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Who wore #56 just before LT... from '78-'80?</P>

From '70 - '76?</P>

You might get those two... the next two are more obscure:</P>

From '68 - '69?</P>

In 1967?</P>

YATittle1962
02-19-2010, 01:47 PM

From '70 - '76?</P>

From '68 - '69?</P>

In 1967?</P>

I remember Jim Clack wearing it on offense...then he sold it to LT right?

and Pat Hughes wore it as a LB

really racking my brain for who wore it before him.....i know ill kick myself when i hear it

great question Z

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-19-2010, 01:58 PM

From '70 - '76?</P>

From '68 - '69?</P>

In 1967?</P>
Was 68-69 Bill SWain?

zimonami
02-19-2010, 10:09 PM

From '70 - '76?</P>

From '68 - '69?</P>

In 1967?</P>

I remember Jim Clack wearing it on offense...then he sold it to LT right? and Pat Hughes wore it as a LB really racking my brain for who wore it before him.....i know ill kick myself when i hear it great question Z</P>

You got the easier two, YA... Clack from '78 - '80 Hughes from '70 - '76</P>

Chuck Hinton in '67 and Tommy crutcher in '68 - '69</P>

Bill Swain wore #52.</P>

</P>

OK... (2) questions on Clack</P>

What number did he switch to when he gave LT his #56?</P>

What was Clack's involvement with "The Fumble"?</P>

</P>

YATittle1962
02-19-2010, 10:59 PM

From '70 - '76?</P>

From '68 - '69?</P>

In 1967?</P>

I remember Jim Clack wearing it on offense...then he sold it to LT right? and Pat Hughes wore it as a LB really racking my brain for who wore it before him.....i know ill kick myself when i hear it great question Z</P>

You got the easier two, YA... Clack from '78 - '80**** Hughes from '70 - '76</P>

Bill Swain wore #52.</P>

*</P>

*</P>

pretty sure Jimmy changed from 56 to 58?

..and didnt Clack snap the ball to the pee shooter?

who was lined up to Clacks' left on that play?

zimonami
02-20-2010, 01:11 AM

From '70 - '76?</P>

From '68 - '69?</P>

In 1967?</P>

You got the easier two, YA... Clack from '78 - '80 Hughes from '70 - '76</P>

Bill Swain wore #52.</P>

</P>

</P>

pretty sure Jimmy changed from 56 to 58? ..and didnt Clack snap the ball to the pee shooter? who was lined up to Clacks' left on that play?</P>

Yup, #58.</P>

Clack snapped on the fumble and many don't realize that he snapped itearly because he thought time was running out, which threw Piscarcik off.</P>

I assume Van Horn was to Clack's left.</P>

</P>

zimonami
02-20-2010, 01:25 AM
YA mentioning Van Horn is worthy of a question about him. He played 12 years with us, with not a single playoff game. He was a tough warrior... only weighed 245-250, but played RG, LG, and RT, with a little Center... depending on whatever the Giants needed of him. I remember the joke every year wasthe fansguessing which position he'd play that coming season.</P>

What number did Doug wear his first year with us?</P>

YATittle1962
02-20-2010, 05:52 PM
YA mentioning Van Horn is worthy of a question about him.* He played 12 years with us, with not a single playoff game. He was a tough warrior... only weighed 245-250, but played RG, LG, and RT, with a little Center... depending on whatever the Giants needed of him. I remember the joke every year was*the fans*guessing which position he'd play that coming season.</P>

almost positive he wore #60 .....I read an O'Hara interview a few years ago and he was mentioning all the guys who wore his number and I was surprised that he mentioned Van Horn.....

what a warrior he was.....I loved that guys heart....but dont remember him wearing 60...just know from the article.....

ok 2 part question

on that terrible play at Giants Stadium that I refuse to call a miracle......who was to Clacks' immediate right as he snapped ....

....and what Giant was closest to Herm as he waltzed into the endzone?

zimonami
02-20-2010, 07:15 PM
YA mentioning Van Horn is worthy of a question about him. He played 12 years with us, with not a single playoff game. He was a tough warrior... only weighed 245-250, but played RG, LG, and RT, with a little Center... depending on whatever the Giants needed of him. I remember the joke every year wasthe fansguessing which position he'd play that coming season.</P>

almost positive he wore #60 .....I read an O'Hara interview a few years ago and he was mentioning all the guys who wore his number and I was surprised that he mentioned Van Horn..... what a warrior he was.....I loved that guys heart....but dont remember him wearing 60...just know from the article..... ok 2 part question on that terrible play at Giants Stadium that I refuse to call a miracle......who was to Clacks' immediate right as he snapped .... ....and what Giant was closest to Herm as he waltzed into the endzone?</P>

OK... shoulda been J.T. Turner at RG.</P>

Closest Giant? Had to be Pisarcik, Czonka, or maybe Doug Kotar.</P>

I'll say Kotar</P>

Hard to believe that was 31+ years ago</P>

YATittle1962
02-20-2010, 07:28 PM
YA mentioning Van Horn is worthy of a question about him. He played 12 years with us, with not a single playoff game. He was a tough warrior... only weighed 245-250, but played RG, LG, and RT, with a little Center... depending on whatever the Giants needed of him. I remember the joke every year wasthe fansguessing which position he'd play that coming season.</p>

What number did Doug wear his first year with us?</p>

almost positive he wore #60 .....I read an O'Hara interview a few years ago and he was mentioning all the guys who wore his number and I was surprised that he mentioned Van Horn..... what a warrior he was.....I loved that guys heart....but dont remember him wearing 60...just know from the article..... ok 2 part question on that terrible play at Giants Stadium that I refuse to call a miracle......who was to Clacks' immediate right as he snapped .... ....and what Giant was closest to Herm as he waltzed into the endzone?</p>

OK... shoulda been J.T. Turner at RG.</p>

Closest Giant? Had to be Pisarcik, Czonka, or maybe Doug Kotar.</p>

I'll say Kotar</p>

Hard to believe that was 31+ years ago</p>

wow....you just made me feel old as hell for a sec....hahahahaha...

yup Turner it was....

not to bring back terrible Giant memories ...but take a look at who was closest....
a solid Giant he was...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzUHvg6QbaU">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzUHvg6QbaU</a>

zimonami
02-20-2010, 08:18 PM

almost positive he wore #60 .....I read an O'Hara interview a few years ago and he was mentioning all the guys who wore his number and I was surprised that he mentioned Van Horn..... what a warrior he was.....I loved that guys heart....but dont remember him wearing 60...just know from the article..... ok 2 part question on that terrible play at Giants Stadium that I refuse to call a miracle......who was to Clacks' immediate right as he snapped .... ....and what Giant was closest to Herm as he waltzed into the endzone?</P>

Closest Giant? Had to be Pisarcik, Czonka, or maybe Doug Kotar.</P>

I'll say Kotar</P>

Hard to believe that was 31+ years ago</P>

yup Turner it was....

not to bring back terrible Giant memories ...but take a look at who was closest....
a solid Giant he was...
<A href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzUHvg6QbaU">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzUHvg6QbaU</A>
</P>

Forgot answer before... Van Horn wore # 60 his first year, then to #63, as we know him, for his last 11 years.</P>

Was that Gary Shirk, # 87. Boy, he looks so trim there.</P>

There is no doubt that we had gruesome teams back then, but we had a lot of stalwart, long time players who gave us their all. They just weren't as skilled as other teams... seemed to me that we were, on average, smaller than most other teams.</P>

YATittle1962
02-20-2010, 09:23 PM
YA mentioning Van Horn is worthy of a question about him.* He played 12 years with us, with not a single playoff game. He was a tough warrior... only weighed 245-250, but played RG, LG, and RT, with a little Center... depending on whatever the Giants needed of him. I remember the joke every year was*the fans*guessing which position he'd play that coming season.</P>

Closest Giant?* Had to be Pisarcik, Czonka, or maybe Doug Kotar.</P>

I'll say Kotar</P>

Hard to believe that was 31+ *years ago</P>

yup Turner it was....

a solid Giant he was...
<A href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzUHvg6QbaU">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzUHvg6QbaU</A>
</P>

Forgot answer before... Van Horn wore # 60 his first year, then to #63, as we know him, for his last 11 years.</P>

Was that Gary Shirk, # 87.* Boy, he looks so trim there.</P>

There is no doubt that we had gruesome teams back then, but we had a lot of stalwart, long time players who gave us their all.* They just weren't as skilled as other teams... seemed to me that we were, on average, smaller than most other teams.</P>

yup Shirk......I liked him

yeah we had those tiny O lines for a long time.....

zimonami
02-21-2010, 12:01 AM
yup Shirk......I liked him yeah we had those tiny O lines for a long time.....</P>

I'm telling you, that '78 team was only 6 - 10, but the personnel on that team were fabulous. I remember thinking that, in only his 2nd year, troy Archer was showing that he would be a force in the future. He had that motor, like Mendenhall, who was near the end of his career.</P>

Here's the link to take you right to that roster. it's worth the visit and seeing all the great guys we had on that team. Many older guys, near the ends of their careers... a time inwhich the Giants didn't do well, but they were appreciated... and, young guys who were later to be part of the core of the Super Bowl team.</P>

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/1978_roster.htm</P>

rbcarpenter
02-21-2010, 01:55 AM
yup Shirk......I liked him yeah we had those tiny O lines for a long time.....</p>

I'm telling you, that '78 team was only 6 - 10, but the personnel on that team were fabulous. I remember thinking that, in only his 2nd year, troy Archer was showing that he would be a force in the future. He had that motor, like Mendenhall, who was near the end of his career.</p>

Here's the link to take you right to that roster. it's worth the visit and seeing all the great guys we had on that team. Many older guys, near the ends of their careers... a time inwhich the Giants didn't do well, but they were appreciated... and, young guys who were later to be part of the core of the Super Bowl team.</p>

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/1978_roster.htm</p>wow,looking back at that roster bring back a lot of good individual player,but bad team memories!

rbcarpenter
yup Shirk......I liked him yeah we had those tiny O lines for a long time.....</p>

I'm telling you, that '78 team was only 6 - 10, but the personnel on that team were fabulous. I remember thinking that, in only his 2nd year, troy Archer was showing that he would be a force in the future. He had that motor, like Mendenhall, who was near the end of his career.</p>

Here's the link to take you right to that roster. it's worth the visit and seeing all the great guys we had on that team. Many older guys, near the ends of their careers... a time inwhich the Giants didn't do well, but they were appreciated... and, young guys who were later to be part of the core of the Super Bowl team.</p>

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/1978_roster.htm</p>wow,looking back at that roster bring back a lot of good individual player,but bad team memories!

rbcarpenter

rbcarpenter
02-21-2010, 01:56 AM
sorry,my mouse stuck!

zimonami
02-21-2010, 02:31 AM
sorry,my mouse stuck!
</P>

It happens</P>

It happens</P>

It happens</P>

</P>

YATittle1962
02-21-2010, 10:21 AM
* yup Shirk......I liked him yeah we had those tiny O lines for a long time.....</P>

I'm telling you, that '78 team was only 6 - 10, but the personnel on that team were fabulous.* I remember thinking that, in only his 2nd year, troy Archer was showing that he would be a force in the future.* He had that motor, like Mendenhall, who was near the end of his career.</P>

Here's the link to take you right to that roster.* it's worth the visit and seeing all the great guys we had on that team.* Many older guys, near the ends of their careers... a time in*which the Giants didn't do well, but they were appreciated... and, young guys who were later to be part of the core of the Super Bowl team.</P>

Troy Archer........what a tragedy

jints10
02-21-2010, 10:29 AM
I loved Gary Shirk, a way undersized TE that had great hands and great heart. I remember saying Shirk had "little feet", meaning he got knocked down a lot at the LOS.

jints10
02-21-2010, 10:31 AM

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/1978_roster.htm</p>

Troy Archer was gonna be the man, it was a shame.

rbcarpenter
02-21-2010, 11:30 AM

man,i was only about 10 when he died,but i still remember what a force ha was starting to become.if he had been healthy for his career(say 10 years),and the giants had drafted reggie white in the usfl supplemental draft(instead of gary zimmerman,who said he would never play in new york),could you imagine the kind of defense we would have had with both parcells then belichek running it?

dl-archer,neill,burt,jeter,marshall,r.white

lb-van pelt,carson,kelly,LT,banks,reasons,peppers,hunt,he aden

granted,this is across78-79,to say 87 or 88,so certain players would retire while others step in but GOD,we would have had a top 5 d for 10 years.who know what might have been?[8-)]

jints10
02-21-2010, 11:53 AM

man,i was only about 10 when he died,but i still remember what a force ha was starting to become.if he had been healthy for his career(say 10 years),and the giants had drafted reggie white in the usfl supplemental draft(instead of gary zimmerman,who said he would never play in new york),could you imagine the kind of defense we would have had with both parcells then belichek running it?

granted,this is across78-79,to say 87 or 88,so certain players would retire while others step in but GOD,we would have had a top 5 d for 10 years.who know what might have been?[8-)]

Don't forget George Martin

Man I totally forgot about that Zimmerman thing.

zimonami
02-21-2010, 01:03 PM
yup Shirk......I liked him yeah we had those tiny O lines for a long time.....</P>

I'm telling you, that '78 team was only 6 - 10, but the personnel on that team were fabulous. I remember thinking that, in only his 2nd year, troy Archer was showing that he would be a force in the future. He had that motor, like Mendenhall, who was near the end of his career.</P>

Here's the link to take you right to that roster. it's worth the visit and seeing all the great guys we had on that team. Many older guys, near the ends of their careers... a time inwhich the Giants didn't do well, but they were appreciated... and, young guys who were later to be part of the core of the Super Bowl team.</P>

Don't forget George Martin

Man I totally forgot about that Zimmerman thing.
</P>

Me too! Same last name as me... I thought it would be great to have a Zimmerman on the Giant's. When he said he didn't want to play in NY I just had to ostracize him from the family tree. </P>

The creep! He spelled his name wrong, anyways... I have (2) 'n's' at the end. The lazy side of the family shortened it to (1) 'n'...lol</P>

YATittle1962
02-21-2010, 08:28 PM
what is the connection between Carl Banks and Gary Zimmerman in the 1984 draft?

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-21-2010, 08:34 PM
what is the connection between Carl Banks and Gary Zimmerman in the 1984 draft?</P>

<FONT color=#a52a2a>They were in rival gangs in their youth?</FONT></P>

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-21-2010, 08:39 PM
<FONT color=#0000ff>The "Did You Know" thread is one of the 3 greatest threads I have seen since being on the boards! It's an honor to be tolerated here.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>I forget the other two</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff></FONT></P>

n s</P>

YATittle1962
02-21-2010, 08:57 PM
<FONT color=#0000ff>The "Did You Know" thread is one of the 3 greatest threads I have seen since being on the boards! It's an honor to be tolerated here.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff></FONT>*</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff></FONT>*</P>

n s</P>

we love you BBS

couldnt put a price on your contributions...

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-21-2010, 09:15 PM

n s</P>

we love you BBS couldnt put a price on your contributions...</P>

</P>

<FONT color=#deb887>thank you</FONT></P>

zimonami
02-21-2010, 10:18 PM

n s</P>

</P>

lol... "Iforget the other two." </P>

You're either getting old, or... uh, I forgot the other reason.</P>

You are a great contributor, BB62, and it's alwaysnice to have you here.</P>

zimonami
02-22-2010, 12:11 AM
what is the connection between Carl Banks and Gary Zimmerman in the 1984 draft?</P>

I can't imagine. GZ was a supplemental pick in '84, and Banks was our first round pick in the regular draft.</P>

YATittle1962
02-22-2010, 10:51 AM

I can't imagine.* GZ was a supplemental pick in '84, and Banks was our first round pick in the regular draft.</P>

yeah it was a reach Zim...but what the hell....I threw it out there....

GZ was the first supplemental pick and CB was the first draft pick.....

Ill take my lashes like a man......

you found it folks....the worst question in the history of the thread....

zimonami
02-22-2010, 11:36 AM

I can't imagine. GZ was a supplemental pick in '84, and Banks was our first round pick in the regular draft.</P>

yeah it was a reach Zim...but what the hell....I threw it out there.... GZ was the first supplemental pick and CB was the first draft pick..... Ill take my lashes like a man...... you found it folks....the worst question in the history of the thread....</P>

They also went to different schools together.</P>

jints10
02-22-2010, 11:40 AM
what is the connection between Carl Banks and Gary Zimmerman in the 1984 draft?</p>

I can't imagine. GZ was a supplemental pick in '84, and Banks was our first round pick in the regular draft.</p>

yeah it was a reach Zim...but what the hell....I threw it out there.... GZ was the first supplemental pick and CB was the first draft pick..... Ill take my lashes like a man...... you found it folks....the worst question in the history of the thread....</p>

They also went to different schools together.</p>
That sure sounds like a yogism

YATittle1962
02-22-2010, 02:25 PM

I can't imagine.* GZ was a supplemental pick in '84, and Banks was our first round pick in the regular draft.</P>

yeah it was a reach Zim...but what the hell....I threw it out there.... GZ was the first supplemental pick and CB was the first draft pick..... Ill take my lashes like a man...... you found it folks....the worst question in the history of the thread....</P>

nice one

SEC105
02-22-2010, 04:46 PM

That sure sounds like a yogism
</P>

LOL Yogi...."when you come to afork in the road........take it"[:D]</P>

Z</P>

SEC105
02-22-2010, 04:48 PM
What former Giant [among other teams] competed in the 1992 winter olympics in the 2 man bobsled?</P>

Z</P>

zimonami
02-22-2010, 05:24 PM
What former Giant [among other teams] competed in the 1992 winter olympics in the 2 man bobsled?</P>

Z</P>

</P>

Herschel Walker... one ofUSA's all-time best overall athletes. I wish he had hooked up with an NFL team from the get-go. </P>

zimonami
02-22-2010, 05:30 PM
We had another Olympian, SEC. I'm pretty sure we also had it asked before... but we'll do it again.</P>

This NY Giant player, from '77 - '79, also played handball with his brotherin the Olympics in 1980.</P>

SEC105
02-22-2010, 05:38 PM
We had another Olympian, SEC. I'm pretty sure we also had it asked before... but we'll do it again.</P>

This NY Giant player, from '77 - '79, also played handball with his brotherin the Olympics in 1980.</P>

</P>

Herscel is correct Z...........I remember that question but I can't recall the answer. Was he a QB? [Handball]</P>