PDA

View Full Version : DID YOU KNOW??

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

zimonami
02-22-2010, 07:15 PM
We had another Olympian, SEC. I'm pretty sure we also had it asked before... but we'll do it again.</P>

This NY Giant player, from '77 - '79, also played handball with his brotherin the Olympics in 1980.</P>

</P>

Herscel is correct Z...........I remember that question but I can't recall the answer. Was he a QB? [Handball]</P>

</P>

Well, that's still decent memory... yes, a QB. Initials RD.</P>

SEC105
02-22-2010, 08:56 PM
We had another Olympian, SEC.* I'm pretty sure we also had it asked before... but we'll do it again.</P>

This NY Giant player, from '77 - '79, also played handball with his brother*in the Olympics in 1980.</P>

</P>

Herscel is correct Z...........I remember that question but I can't recall the answer. Was he a QB? [Handball]</P>

</P>

Well, that's still decent memory... yes, a QB.* Initials RD.</P>
Randy Dean .....late seventies?
Besides Bob Hayes , what other WRs were sprinters in the olympics that made NFL rosters? Not sure on this one myself
Z

zimonami
02-22-2010, 10:18 PM
We had another Olympian, SEC. I'm pretty sure we also had it asked before... but we'll do it again.</P>

This NY Giant player, from '77 - '79, also played handball with his brotherin the Olympics in 1980.</P>

</P>

</P>

Randy Dean .....late seventies? Besides Bob Hayes , what other WRs were sprinters in the olympics that made NFL rosters? Not sure on this one myself Z</P>

yup, Randy Dean.</P>

Can't think of another besides Hayes, SEC. Renaldo Nehemiah didn't get to the Olympics because of the '80 boycott.</P>

Jim Thorpe was another Olympian/NFLer, but he was a halfback. He was 37 when he played for the '25 Giants, and 40 when he played for the Chic. Cardinals</P>

rbcarpenter
02-23-2010, 01:08 AM
We had another Olympian, SEC. I'm pretty sure we also had it asked before... but we'll do it again.</p>

This NY Giant player, from '77 - '79, also played handball with his brotherin the Olympics in 1980.</p>

</p>

Herscel is correct Z...........I remember that question but I can't recall the answer. Was he a QB? [Handball]</p>

</p>

Well, that's still decent memory... yes, a QB. Initials RD.</p>
Randy Dean .....late seventies?
Besides Bob Hayes , what other WRs were sprinters in the olympics that made NFL rosters? Not sure on this one myself
Znot a wr,but wasn't there a giants db that ran in the same olympics as hayes?last name carr,i THINK.

zimonami
02-23-2010, 01:35 AM

</P>

</P>

Randy Dean .....late seventies? Besides Bob Hayes , what other WRs were sprinters in the olympics that made NFL rosters? Not sure on this one myself Znot a wr,but wasn't there a giants db that ran in the same olympics as hayes?last name carr,i THINK.
</P>

Good going, RBC. TY for remembering. Yeah, that was Henry Carr. He won the 200 meters and Hayes won the 100 meters in '64.</P>

SEC105
02-23-2010, 04:21 PM
This isa tough one. Who was the defensive line coach who created the "Fearsome Foursome" with LA Rams....he later came on board with Giants and was let go by Allie Sherman after 1 year I think. This guy then went to the Vikings and formed the "Purple People Eaters" under Bud Grant.Later he became a HC elsewhere</P>

Z</P>

zimonami
02-23-2010, 06:30 PM
This isa tough one. Who was the defensive line coach who created the "Fearsome Foursome" with LA Rams....he later came on board with Giants and was let go by Allie Sherman after 1 year I think. This guy then went to the Vikings and formed the "Purple People Eaters" under Bud Grant.Later he became a HC elsewhere</P>

Z</P>

</P>

I know I'm gonna kick myself when I see this answer. One of the guys will get it, I'll bet.</P>

Fearsome Foursome and later the purple People eaters? What does that tell you? </P>

No wonder this coach only lasted a year with Allie... Allie traded away our great vets and proceeded to turn the D into crap. If this guy knew his stuff (and he surely did with those 2 great D's), and it looked like the D would get better, Allie was sure to have no need for him.</P>

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-23-2010, 09:21 PM

</P>

</P>

Randy Dean .....late seventies? Besides Bob Hayes , what other WRs were sprinters in the olympics that made NFL rosters? Not sure on this one myself Znot a wr,but wasn't there a giants db that ran in the same olympics as hayes?last name carr,i THINK.
</P>

Good going, RBC. TY for remembering. Yeah, that was Henry Carr. He won the 200 meters and Hayes won the 100 meters in '64.</P>

</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>I still think Mel Hein is involved in this!</FONT></P>

zimonami
02-23-2010, 10:10 PM

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>I still think Mel Hein is involved in this!</FONT></P>

</P>

hahaha... stand by your convictions. Never let Go! </P>

I think you're right. There is a conspiracy to hide the truth from the fans.</P>

zimonami
02-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Hein deserves a little more time here. Imagine, he played 15 years at Center and never missed a single down. That's incredible.</P>

What position did Hein hold in the AFL from '66 - '67</P>

zimonami
02-23-2010, 10:31 PM
I found this piece of info when reading about Hein. Let's see who can come closest...</P>

In the AFL's first draft, 1960...</P>

What percentage of their first round picks did they sign?</P>

What percentage of their total picks did they sign?</P>

YATittle1962
02-24-2010, 11:08 AM
This is*a tough one. Who was the defensive line coach who created the "Fearsome Foursome" with LA Rams....he later came on board with Giants and was let go by Allie Sherman after 1 year I think. This guy then went to the Vikings and formed the "Purple People Eaters" under Bud Grant.*Later he became a HC elsewhere</P>

Z</P>

I am almost positive the answer to this is Jack Patera....

I remember he came to the Giants in 68 and Allie quickly gave him the boot...he went directly to the Vikings and did very well

and im pretty sure before coming to the Giants he was with the Rams.....so I say Patera......

zimonami
02-24-2010, 01:53 PM

Z</P>

I am almost positive the answer to this is Jack Patera.... I remember he came to the Giants in 68 and Allie quickly gave him the boot...he went directly to the Vikings and did very well and im pretty sure before coming to the Giants he was with the Rams.....so I say Patera......</P>

I thought I'd recognize the name... but, I don't. </P>

SEC105
02-24-2010, 03:45 PM
I found this piece of info when reading about Hein. Let's see who can come closest...</P>

In the AFL's first draft, 1960...</P>

What percentage of their first round picks did they sign?</P>

What percentage of their total picks did they sign?</P>

</P>

Just a wild guess.................. 10 percent</P>

Z</P>

SEC105
02-24-2010, 03:53 PM

Z</P>

I am almost positive the answer to this is Jack Patera.... I remember he came to the Giants in 68 and Allie quickly gave him the boot...he went directly to the Vikings and did very well and im pretty sure before coming to the Giants he was with the Rams.....so I say Patera......</P>

</P>

Thats exactly who it was..........Jack Patera.....Nice job.Allie Sherman imo had no room for anybody who might outshine him. Patera wasDLcoach for the "Fearsome Foursome" AND "The Purple Eaters" He then went on to become become the veryfirst coach of the newly formed Seattle Seahawks.............which brings us to the next question , please name the "Fearsome Foursome" [Rams]and the "Purple People Eaters" [Vikings]</P>

Z</P>

rbcarpenter
02-24-2010, 04:03 PM
This isa tough one. Who was the defensive line coach who created the "Fearsome Foursome" with LA Rams....he later came on board with Giants and was let go by Allie Sherman after 1 year I think. This guy then went to the Vikings and formed the "Purple People Eaters" under Bud Grant.Later he became a HC elsewhere</p>

Z</p>

I am almost positive the answer to this is Jack Patera.... I remember he came to the Giants in 68 and Allie quickly gave him the boot...he went directly to the Vikings and did very well and im pretty sure before coming to the Giants he was with the Rams.....so I say Patera......</p>

I thought I'd recognize the name... but, I don't. </p>

</p>

Thats exactly who it was..........Jack Patera.....Nice job.Allie Sherman imo had no room for anybody who might outshine him. Patera wasDLcoach for the "Fearsome Foursome" AND "The Purple Eaters" He then went on to become become the veryfirst coach of the newly formed Seattle Seahawks.............which brings us to the next question , please name the "Fearsome Foursome" [Rams]and the "Purple People Eaters" [Vikings]</p>

Z</p>the rams were olsen,lundy,grier,and the deacon.i would have to look up the vikes,but i'll put a few out there:page,marshall,.......uh...brundidge....all right,i don't know.:(

SEC105
02-24-2010, 04:32 PM

Z</P>

</P>

Thats exactly who it was..........Jack Patera.....Nice job.Allie Sherman imo had no room for anybody who might outshine him. Patera wasDLcoach for the "Fearsome Foursome" AND "The Purple Eaters" He then went on to become become the veryfirst coach of the newly formed Seattle Seahawks.............which brings us to the next question , please name the "Fearsome Foursome" [Rams]and the "Purple People Eaters" [Vikings]</P>

Z</P>

the rams were olsen,lundy,grier,and the deacon.i would have to look up the vikes,but i'll put a few out there:page,marshall,.......uh...brundidge....all right,i don't know.:(
</P>

Good job....So far so goodRC........all sound right except brundrige...need 2 more Purple People Eaters Notice Rosey Grier was one of the "Fearsome Foursome"</P>

Z</P>

zimonami
02-24-2010, 06:37 PM

Z</P>

</P>

Purple... Paige, Eller, Marshall and Larsen?</P>

Z</P>

the rams were olsen,lundy,grier,and the deacon.i would have to look up the vikes,but i'll put a few out there:page,marshall,.......uh...brundidge....all right,i don't know.:(
</P>

Good job....So far so goodRC........all sound right except brundrige...need 2 more Purple People Eaters Notice Rosey Grier was one of the "Fearsome Foursome"</P>

Z</P>

zimonami
02-24-2010, 08:34 PM

Z</P>

</P>

Z</P>

</P>

Z</P>

</P>

I remember Eller, Paige, Marshall, and Larsen</P>

Larsen was the least noted among them, but he was danged good... he was sorta like GaryReasons, as 4th best among LT, Carson, and Banks. </P>

On today's Giants, Reasons would be our best LB.</P>

YATittle1962
02-24-2010, 09:43 PM
these last couple questions I think were some of the best we have had.....

that Patera question was fantastic....took a ton of brainstorming...

as for the percent of draft picks signed in the AFL 1960 draft.....I have no idea.....

maybe 20%........im curious ZIm......lets have the answer...hahaha

since Ive been hearing a lot about Brian Westbrook everywhere.....heres one....

in the game where Westbrook scored on the Giants for the first time on his career........he scored twice.......one was a 6 yd rush .......what was the other?

what year was it?

and what Giant picked off McNabb that day?

rbcarpenter
02-24-2010, 09:59 PM

as for the percent of draft picks signed in the AFL 1960 draft.....I have no idea.....

in the game where Westbrook scored on the Giants for the first time on his career........he scored twice.......one was a 6 yd rush .......what was the other?

what year was it?

and what Giant picked off McNabb that day?i'm going to guess that it was the game in 2004 when westbrook had that 80 yard? puny return in the last 20 seconds to steal the game from us[:(].for the pick i will guess will"the dui"allen.[B]

rbcarpenter
02-24-2010, 09:59 PM

what year was it?

and what Giant picked off McNabb that day?i'm going to guess that it was the game in 2004 when westbrook had that 80 yard? puny return in the last 20 seconds to steal the game from us[:(].for the pick i will guess will"the dui"allen.[B]

rbcarpenter
02-24-2010, 10:00 PM
this mouse is really ticking me off![:@]

zimonami
02-24-2010, 10:00 PM
OK... 1960 AFL very first Draft.</P>

The AFL and NFL drafts were fairly similar, as you'd expect. </P>

The AFL signed 50% of their first round picks, and 75% of their overall picks.</P>

it was the quantity, quality, and name value of those first drafted players that helped them get a solidfoundation.</P>

I haven't got a clue on the Westbrook score, although I'm gonna stab at an 84 yard punt return... year???</P>

YATittle1962
02-24-2010, 10:03 PM

what year was it?

all correct but it was '03

nice job rbc....

that return crushed me......I remember watching him run right past me and feeling punched in the gut.....

I then sat in my seat and gathered my marbles while the stadium quietly cleared out....

SEC105
02-25-2010, 03:19 PM

Z</P>

</P>

Z</P>

</P>

Z</P>

</P>

I remember Eller, Paige, Marshall, and Larsen</P>

Larsen was the least noted among them, but he was danged good... he was sorta like GaryReasons, as 4th best among LT, Carson, and Banks. </P>

On today's Giants, Reasons would be our best LB.</P>

</P>

Thatanswers the "Fearsome Foursome" and the People Eaters Purple question. Nice job guys!</P>

Z</P>

SEC105
02-25-2010, 03:20 PM
The year we drafted Phil Simms , 1979 , we also picked up another QB FA. He lasted for one year with us. Anyone remember who he was?</P>

Z</P>

YATittle1962
02-25-2010, 03:31 PM
The year we drafted Phil Simms , 1979 , we also picked up another QB FA. He lasted for one year with us. Anyone remember who he was?</P>

Z</P>

was it Randy Dean....or was he drafted?

hey Zimmy.....whats the answer to that AFL draft question my man.....

SEC105
02-25-2010, 03:50 PM

Z</P>

was it Randy Dean....or was he drafted? hey Zimmy.....whats the answer to that AFL draft question my man.....</P>

Randy Dean may have been there with him that year but it was not him YA. His initials were DR</P>

Z</P>

SEC105
02-25-2010, 05:23 PM
One more question gang.........Simms played his first game in New Orleans his first year. What giant WR caught his first completion?</P>

Z</P>

YATittle1962
02-25-2010, 05:31 PM
One more question gang.........Simms played his first game in New Orleans his first year. What giant WR caught his first completion?</P>

Z</P>

Ill take a swing at this one and say Earnest Gray

SEC105
02-25-2010, 05:38 PM

Z</P>

Ill take a swing at this one and say Earnest Gray</P>

Oh thats close YA...........actually Earnest Gray dropped his first NFL pass if memory serves me correct. It was another WR , you know his name I'm sure , who caught his first NFL pass</P>

Dave Radar was the QB we picked up the year we drafted Simms. Recall Rader?</P>

Z</P>

SEC105
02-25-2010, 05:41 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/slideshows/514/slideshow_51455/display_image.jpg</P>

just testing please disreguard</P>

Z</P>

YATittle1962
02-25-2010, 05:44 PM

Z</P>

was it Randy Dean....or was he drafted? hey Zimmy.....whats the answer to that AFL draft question my man.....</P>

Randy Dean may have been there with him that year but it was not him YA. His initials were DR</P>

Z</P>

I cant imagine who this is......someone will get it...

did he play at all?

YATittle1962
02-25-2010, 05:46 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/slideshows/514/slideshow_51455/display_image.jpg</P>

and what a pic to test with

zimonami
02-25-2010, 05:50 PM

Z</P>

You're slipping, YA. I posted that answer 19 hours ago... here it is:</P>

</P>

<FONT color=#000080>OK... 1960 AFL very first Draft.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#000080>The AFL and NFL drafts were fairly similar, as you'd expect. </FONT></P>

<FONT color=#000080>The AFL signed 50% of their first round picks, and 75% of their overall picks.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#000080>Itwas the quantity, quality, and name value of those first drafted players that helped them get a solidfoundation.</FONT></P>

I haven't got a clue on the Westbrook score, although I'm gonna stab at an 84 yard punt return... year???</P>

SEC105
02-25-2010, 05:50 PM

and what a pic to test with</P>

That is a good one is'nt it?............hoping to throw some pics in for questions</P>

Z</P>

zimonami
02-25-2010, 05:54 PM

Z</P>

Oh thats close YA...........actually Earnest Gray dropped his first NFL pass if memory serves me correct. It was another WR , you know his name I'm sure , who caught his first NFL pass</P>

Z</P>

</P>

Wow, the name rader is no where in my memory.</P>

Good question. We had a DR QB and a RD QB</P>

</P>

So, in the late 60's we had a QB with the initials FT, and a running backwith TF. Who are they?</P>

I think that's probably too easy.</P>

SEC105
02-25-2010, 05:55 PM

Z</P>

Z</P>

I cant imagine who this is......someone will get it... did he play at all?</P>

It was Dave Rader YA.......I know he made the roster but to the best of my knowledge he DNP</P>

YATittle1962
02-25-2010, 05:57 PM

Z</P>

You're slipping, YA.* I posted that answer 19 hours ago... here it is:</P>

*</P>

<FONT color=#000080>OK... 1960 AFL* very first Draft.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#000080>The AFL and NFL drafts were fairly similar, as you'd expect.* </FONT></P>

<FONT color=#000080>The AFL signed 50% of their first round picks, and 75% of their overall picks.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#000080>It*was the quantity, quality, and name value of those first drafted players that helped them get a solid*foundation.*</FONT></P>

I am slippin....I totally missed it ZIm....

and yup that was the Westbrook score.....2003

SEC105
02-25-2010, 05:57 PM

Z</P>

Z</P>

</P>

</P>

So, in the late 60's we had a QB with the initials FT, and a running backwith TF. Who are they?</P>

</P>

I know this Z..................lets see if someone else can get it</P>

Z</P>

zimonami
02-25-2010, 05:59 PM

Z</P>

Z</P>

</P>

I would have said Earnest, too, YA</P>

Why am I not surprised that Earnest dropped Phil's first pass?</P>

I'll guess Johnny Perkins caught Simms first pass.</P>

YATittle1962
02-25-2010, 05:59 PM

Z</P>

Oh thats close YA...........actually Earnest Gray dropped his first NFL pass if memory serves me correct. It was another WR* , you know his name I'm sure , who caught his first NFL pass</P>

Dave Radar was the QB we picked up the year we drafted Simms.** Recall Rader?</P>

Z</P>

</P>

Wow, the name rader is no where in my memory.*</P>

*</P>

So, in the late 60's we had a QB with the initials FT, and a running back*with TF.* Who are they?</P>

Gotta be Tarkenton and Frederickson?

YATittle1962
02-25-2010, 06:02 PM

Z</P>

Oh thats close YA...........actually Earnest Gray dropped his first NFL pass if memory serves me correct. It was another WR* , you know his name I'm sure , who caught his first NFL pass</P>

Dave Radar was the QB we picked up the year we drafted Simms.** Recall Rader?</P>

Z</P>

wow...no recollection of Rader ........

was it Perkins who caught the pass?

zimonami
02-25-2010, 06:05 PM

Z</P>

</P>

How can you disregard Brad VanPelt?</P>

He was really great... probably borderline HOF. Well, that's my opinion anyways. If we had had any winning teams in his time he woulda had a chance.</P>

I loved our Defense in his years... Van Pelt,Carson, Kelley... a great LB crew. Brad and Kelly were unlucky enough to finishtheir careers before the good years. Harry was the lucky one.</P>

SEC105
02-25-2010, 06:07 PM

Z</P>

Z</P>

wow...no recollection of Rader ........ was it Perkins who caught the pass?</P>

Yup ,you and Z got it.....Johnnny Perkins caught Simms first pass</P>

In that same game @ New Orleans what Ex Giant LB intercepted Simms for the first time?</P>

Z</P>

YATittle1962
02-25-2010, 06:13 PM

Z</P>

Z</P>

wow...no recollection of Rader ........ was it Perkins who caught the pass?</P>

Yup ,*you and Z got it.....Johnnny Perkins caught Simms first pass</P>

In that same game @ New Orleans what Ex Giant LB intercepted Simms for the first time?</P>

Z</P>

Perkins was a total guess......

just looked up the game stats for that game so ill let someone else answer......

I was surprised to see that a certain Giants LB caught a pass in that game....

who was it?

SEC105
02-25-2010, 06:19 PM

Z</P>

</P>

How can you disregard Brad VanPelt?</P>

He was really great... probably borderline HOF. Well, that's my opinion anyways. If we had had any winning teams in his time he woulda had a chance.</P>

I loved our Defense in his years... Van Pelt,Carson, Kelley... a great LB crew. Brad and Kelly were unlucky enough to finishtheir careers before the good years. Harry was the lucky one.</P>

</P>

I loved Van Pelt Z , one of my all time favorites.........just verybad wording on my part. Testing pictures for future questions</P>

Z</P>

zimonami
02-25-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm worse off than I thought. I could have sworn that YA answered tarkenton and fredrickson... but, now when I look back I can't find it.</P>

Maybe YA is playing with an old man's mind!</P>

In any case, I decided to give myself a few demerits for that silly, kindergarten question...lol.</P>

I'm gonna think of a Van Pelt question... we already know why he wore #10, so it's got to be something different.</P>

YATittle1962
02-25-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm worse off than I thought.* I could have sworn that YA answered tarkenton and fredrickson... but, now when I look back I can't find it.</P>

Maybe YA is playing with an old man's mind!</P>

In any case, I decided to give myself a few demerits for that silly, kindergarten question...lol.</P>

I'm gonna think of a Van Pelt question... we already know why he wore #10, so it's got to be something different.</P>
check out the stats of that New Orleans game in 79 we were talking about....

a Van Pelt question begging to be asked

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-25-2010, 07:11 PM

Z</P>

Z</P>

</P>

</P>

Gotta be Tarkenton and Frederickson?</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>That was disgustingly easy</FONT>.</P>

zimonami
02-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Ok, multiple questions on Van Pelt</P>

What Nos did he where with the Raiders? With the Browns?</P>

</P>

Did Van Pelt ever score a TD in his 10 years with the Giants?</P>

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-25-2010, 07:16 PM

</P>

</P>

I can only answer part 2. No TD's.</P>

YATittle1962
02-25-2010, 07:19 PM

What Nos did he where with the Raiders?* With the Browns?</P>

*</P>

I cant believe I have no idea what numbers he wore with his last 2 teams.....

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-25-2010, 07:22 PM

</P>

I cant believe I have no idea what numbers he wore with his last 2 teams.....</P>

</P>

You have brain cells that ae dying off daily. No mystery.</P>

I hope I have brought comfort to you! [:D]</P>

patsrule666
02-25-2010, 07:29 PM

</P>

I cant believe I have no idea what numbers he wore with his last 2 teams..... Hi all. Didnt Van Pelt have to change his number with one of those teams? For some reason i seem to think i remember that.</P>

YA- Did you make the big decision on the night club??</P>

YATittle1962
02-25-2010, 07:31 PM
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1379/40433183732470e96670.jpg

anyone remember this?

who was the other Giant that did a cigarette ad on a NYC billboard that actually blew smoke rings ?

and what was the cigarette company?

YATittle1962
02-25-2010, 07:34 PM

*</P>

I cant believe I have no idea what numbers he wore with his last 2 teams..... Hi all. Didnt Van Pelt have to change his number with one of those teams? For some reason i seem to think i remember that.</P>

hey pats......I actually turned down the offer....gunna wait until the PSL dent refills just a bit..... ;)

but I will have a brew pub at some point and all you guys will drink on the house,,,,,,

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-25-2010, 08:29 PM

</P>

hey pats......I actually turned down the offer....gunna wait until the PSL dent refills just a bit..... ;) but I will have a brew pub at some point and all you guys will drink on the house,,,,,,</P>

</P>

i have a magic herb that I still enjoy with a cold bud</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>Name a Giant game that had a brawl in it and players who you remember being invoved !</FONT></P>

YATittle1962
02-25-2010, 08:37 PM

*</P>

hey pats......I actually turned down the offer....gunna wait until the PSL dent refills just a bit..... ;) but I will have a brew pub at some point and all you guys will drink on the house,,,,,,</P>

*</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>Name a Giant game that had a brawl in it and players who you remember being invoved !</FONT></P>

pretty sure it was the Vikings playoff game in 97....

and I think it was Widmer..Sparks..Miller and those guys...

maybe the boys remember better

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-25-2010, 08:49 PM

</P>

</P>

pretty sure it was the Vikings playoff game in 97.... and I think it was Widmer..Sparks..Miller and those guys... maybe the boys remember better</P>

I couldn't think of any brawls at all. I'm temprarily impaired. But I thought I would ask the question to stimulate all the guys brains. So now we have to come up with some stuff!</P>

Homer Jones never repeatedly kicked Larry Wilson while he laid helpless on the ground, did he?</P>

YATittle1962
02-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Check out this clip.....YA sure had some pep in his step back then didnt he?

to bad he was on the San Fran side of the ball....

and they have it wrong....NYG won that game
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKVvaMNxfRA">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKVvaMNxfRA</a>

great classic clip

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-25-2010, 08:50 PM

</P>

</P>

pretty sure it was the Vikings playoff game in 97.... and I think it was Widmer..Sparks..Miller and those guys... maybe the boys remember better</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>Oh geeeeeeez!!!!!</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>the 97 game we had won and amazingly lost!</FONT></P>

YATittle1962
02-25-2010, 08:59 PM

anyone remember this?

who was the other Giant that did a cigarette ad on a NYC billboard that actually blew smoke rings ?

and what was the cigarette company?

zimonami
02-25-2010, 10:26 PM

</P>

Build it and they will come</P>

I'll be there YA. great idea</P>

zimonami
02-25-2010, 10:31 PM

<A href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKVvaMNxfRA">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKVvaMNxfRA</A>

great classic clip
</P>

I don't remember ever seeing YA in a 49er uni. He was faster than I ever remembered.</P>

Funny they posted the score wrong, and then the clip shows 3 Giant TD's. If you believe their score, then you'd think we missed 2 XP's.</P>

zimonami
02-25-2010, 10:38 PM
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1379/40433183732470e96670.jpg anyone remember this? who was the other Giant that did a cigarette ad on a NYC billboard that actually blew smoke rings ? and what was the cigarette company?</P>

I don't remember Rosie in a Marlboro ad. Of course Charley C. was the Marlboro man</P>

You're killing me on the Times Square one... that's where it was. I know it was Camel, and I know I was aware of it when it happened... it was in the papers. I just can't remember who, but do remember that I was surprised at who was endorsing Cigs... like, it was Giff.</P>

</P>

YATittle1962
02-25-2010, 10:59 PM

<A href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKVvaMNxfRA">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKVvaMNxfRA</A>

great classic clip
</P>

I don't remember ever seeing YA in a 49er uni. He was faster than I ever remembered.</P>

Funny they posted the score wrong, and then the clip shows 3 Giant TD's. If you believe their score, then you'd think we missed 2 XP's.</P>

yeah I absolutely dont remember him as a 49er at all......he looks so young and spry doesnt he..... ;)

rbcarpenter
02-26-2010, 02:08 AM

anyone remember this?

and what was the cigarette company?charley conerly was the very first marlboro man,van pelt wore #91(9+1=10:)

zimonami
02-26-2010, 02:54 AM
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1379/40433183732470e96670.jpg anyone remember this? who was the other Giant that did a cigarette ad on a NYC billboard that actually blew smoke rings ? and what was the cigarette company?charley conerly was the very first marlboro man,van pelt wore #91(9+1=10:)
</P>

good, rbc... I never noticed the 9 + 1</P>

rbcarpenter
02-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Ok, multiple questions on Van Pelt</p>

What Nos did he where with the Raiders? With the Browns?</p>

</p>

Did Van Pelt ever score a TD in his 10 years with the Giants?</p>

I cant believe I have no idea what numbers he wore with his last 2 teams..... Hi all. Didnt Van Pelt have to change his number with one of those teams? For some reason i seem to think i remember that.</p>

YA- Did you make the big decision on the night club??</p>

hey pats......I actually turned down the offer....gunna wait until the PSL dent refills just a bit..... ;) but I will have a brew pub at some point and all you guys will drink on the house,,,,,,</p>

</p>

i have a magic herb that I still enjoy with a cold bud</p>

<font color="#0000ff">Name a Giant game that had a brawl in it and players who you remember being invoved !</font></p>

pretty sure it was the Vikings playoff game in 97.... and I think it was Widmer..Sparks..Miller and those guys... maybe the boys remember better</p>

<font color="#0000ff">Oh geeeeeeez!!!!!</font></p>

<font color="#0000ff">the 97 game we had won and amazingly lost!</font></p>i know sparks was involved,and it was a safety,something about a blown coverage,but i can't for the life of me remember.i'll have to look it up.

rbcarpenter
02-26-2010, 10:17 AM
Ok, multiple questions on Van Pelt</p>

What Nos did he where with the Raiders? With the Browns?</p>

</p>

Did Van Pelt ever score a TD in his 10 years with the Giants?</p>

I cant believe I have no idea what numbers he wore with his last 2 teams..... Hi all. Didnt Van Pelt have to change his number with one of those teams? For some reason i seem to think i remember that.</p>

YA- Did you make the big decision on the night club??</p>

hey pats......I actually turned down the offer....gunna wait until the PSL dent refills just a bit..... ;) but I will have a brew pub at some point and all you guys will drink on the house,,,,,,</p>

</p>

i have a magic herb that I still enjoy with a cold bud</p>

<font color="#0000ff">Name a Giant game that had a brawl in it and players who you remember being invoved !</font></p>

pretty sure it was the Vikings playoff game in 97.... and I think it was Widmer..Sparks..Miller and those guys... maybe the boys remember better</p>

<font color="#0000ff">Oh geeeeeeez!!!!!</font></p>

<font color="#0000ff">the 97 game we had won and amazingly lost!</font></p>i know sparks was involved,and it was a safety,something about a blown coverage,but i can't for the life of me remember.i'll have to look it up.maybe wooten?

YATittle1962
02-26-2010, 11:55 AM

anyone remember this?

and what was the cigarette company?charley conerly was the very first marlboro man,van pelt wore #91(9+1=10:)

Chunkin Charlie was the Marlboro man....

but he wasnt the Giants who blew smoke rings on the billboard in time square....

zimonami
02-26-2010, 01:43 PM
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1379/40433183732470e96670.jpg anyone remember this? who was the other Giant that did a cigarette ad on a NYC billboard that actually blew smoke rings ? and what was the cigarette company?charley conerly was the very first marlboro man,van pelt wore #91(9+1=10:)
Chunkin Charlie was the Marlboro man.... but he wasnt the Giants who blew smoke rings on the billboard in time square....</P>

Did you see my previous post, YA?</P>

I know it was Camel. Charlie couldn't have done it cuz he was Marlboro. Someone else. I'm not sure on the Giant player, but guessed it was Giff.</P>

YATittle1962
02-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Chunkin Charlie was the Marlboro man.... but he wasnt the Giants who blew smoke rings on the billboard in time square....</P>

Did you see my previous post, YA?</P>

I know it was Camel.* Charlie couldn't have done it cuz he was Marlboro.* Someone else. I'm not sure on the Giant player, but guessed it was Giff.</P>

sorry missed it zim.....sometimes i dont scroll far enough...i gotta start doing that.....

yup it was Camel...

wasnt Giff though.....

ill give you a hint he was a DB.....

he says that he used to tell people that there was a guy in the building behind the sign pressing pants and when he pressed the pants the smoke ring would blow out across Broadway ;)

fourth&forever
02-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Rosey bowling, thats funny. Wonder how fast he threw that ball?

zimonami
02-26-2010, 04:03 PM
sorry missed it zim.....sometimes i dont scroll far enough...i gotta start doing that..... yup it was Camel... wasnt Giff though..... ill give you a hint he was a DB..... he says that he used to tell people that there was a guy in the building behind the sign pressing pants and when he pressed the pants the smoke ring would blow out across Broadway ;)</P>

Yeah, pressing pants...lol</P>

TY for the hint. I'm still unsure, but my best guess is **** Lynch. </P>

I knew it wasn't one of the big guys. That's why I said I was surprised back then ('60?, early 60's?)when it happened. I knew a lot of the guys smoked, but thought it was mostly the linemen, and not the skill positions where they'd be running alot and sucking wind if they smoked. </P>

I remember **** Nolan smoking on the sidelines when he coached SF. Heck, it coulda been Nolan, now that I think of that. Many coaches did smoke on the sidelines, for quite a long time.... maybe in to the 80's? Pretty sure Bum Phillips always had a butt.</P>

</P>

</P>

YATittle1962
02-26-2010, 05:51 PM
**sorry missed it zim.....sometimes i dont scroll far enough...i gotta start doing that..... yup it was Camel... wasnt Giff though..... ill give you a hint he was a DB..... he says that he used to tell people that there was a guy in the building behind the sign pressing pants and when he pressed the pants the smoke ring would blow out across Broadway ;)</P>

TY for the hint.* I'm still unsure, but my best guess is **** Lynch.* </P>

I knew it wasn't one of the big guys.* That's why I said I was surprised back then ('60?,* *early 60's?)when it happened.* I knew a lot of the guys smoked, but thought it was mostly the linemen, and not the skill positions where they'd be running alot and sucking wind if they smoked.* </P>

I remember **** Nolan smoking on the sidelines when he coached SF. *Heck, it coulda been Nolan, now that I think of that.** Many coaches did smoke on the sidelines, for quite a long time.... maybe in to the 80's?**** Pretty sure Bum Phillips always had a butt.</P>

*</P>

*</P>

Mr. Nolan it was Zimmy...... excellent guess......

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/7718/getattachmentaspxbu.jpg

zimonami
02-26-2010, 07:37 PM
sorry missed it zim.....sometimes i dont scroll far enough...i gotta start doing that..... yup it was Camel... wasnt Giff though..... ill give you a hint he was a DB..... he says that he used to tell people that there was a guy in the building behind the sign pressing pants and when he pressed the pants the smoke ring would blow out across Broadway ;)</P>

TY for the hint. I'm still unsure, but my best guess is **** Lynch. </P>

I knew it wasn't one of the big guys. That's why I said I was surprised back then ('60?, early 60's?)when it happened. I knew a lot of the guys smoked, but thought it was mostly the linemen, and not the skill positions where they'd be running alot and sucking wind if they smoked. </P>

I remember **** Nolan smoking on the sidelines when he coached SF. Heck, it coulda been Nolan, now that I think of that. Many coaches did smoke on the sidelines, for quite a long time.... maybe in to the 80's? Pretty sure Bum Phillips always had a butt.</P>

</P>

</P>

Mr. Nolan it was Zimmy...... excellent guess...... http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/7718/getattachmentaspxbu.jpg </P>

Yeah, lol, after Giff and Lynch. Kinda like a 'C'... def not an A. </P>

If it wasn't Nolan I was gonna go with Jimmy Patton</P>

YATittle1962
02-26-2010, 07:41 PM
ok here we go old timers......

where was this taken.

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/2958/yank08960.jpg

rbcarpenter
02-26-2010, 08:31 PM
i was going to say the polo grounds at first,then i saw the overhang in the upper left hand corner of the picture,so i'll say the original yankees stadium around.........1958?

zimonami
02-26-2010, 08:34 PM

where was this taken.

</P>

Looks like view fromleftcenterfield of the Polo Grounds. I was only there 1X, an Army/Syracuse game in '62. That's when Army had the Chinese Bandits</P>

zimonami
02-26-2010, 08:37 PM

where was this taken.

</P>

Looks like the Polo Grounds. I was only there 1X, an Army/Syracuse game in '62. That's when Army had the Chinese Bandits</P>

YATittle1962
02-26-2010, 08:50 PM
that tiny sliver of the top left corner should give it away like rbc said.....

Yankee Stadium 58

ok....in the 86 season NFC Championship game Sean Landeta launched a 46 yd punt with 5 sec hang time that was downed at the Redskins 2....

who downed it?

zimonami
02-26-2010, 09:22 PM
i was going to say the polo grounds at first,then i saw the overhang in the upper left hand corner of the picture,so i'll say the original yankees stadium around.........1958?
</P>

good job, rbc. The facade was the key. Funny, I never even thought of Yankee Stadium and I've been there a couple dozen times. It just looked so old I immediately figured Polo Grounds. I'm really slippin'... lol</P>

rbcarpenter
02-26-2010, 09:54 PM

Yankee Stadium 58

ok....in the 86 season NFC Championship game Sean Landeta launched a 46 yd punt with 5 sec hang time that was downed at the Redskins 2....

who downed it?HOLY CRAP,I WAS RIGHT?!?![&lt;:o)]try another pure guess here.....pepper?

rbcarpenter
02-26-2010, 09:54 PM

Yankee Stadium 58

who downed it?HOLY CRAP,I WAS RIGHT?!?![&lt;:o)].i've never even been there!try another pure guess here.....pepper?

zimonami
02-26-2010, 10:01 PM
that tiny sliver of the top left corner should give it away like rbc said..... Yankee Stadium 58 ok....in the 86 season NFC Championship game Sean Landeta launched a 46 yd punt with 5 sec hang time that was downed at the Redskins 2.... who downed it?HOLY CRAP,I WAS RIGHT?!?![&lt;:o)].i've never even been there!try another pure guess here.....pepper?
</P>

lol... your mouse has the hiccups, again.</P>

YATittle1962
02-26-2010, 10:17 PM

Yankee Stadium 58

who downed it?HOLY CRAP,I WAS RIGHT?!?![<:o)]try another pure guess here.....pepper?

right position...wrong player...

rbcarpenter
02-26-2010, 10:48 PM
reasons!

rbcarpenter
02-26-2010, 10:49 PM
that tiny sliver of the top left corner should give it away like rbc said..... Yankee Stadium 58 ok....in the 86 season NFC Championship game Sean Landeta launched a 46 yd punt with 5 sec hang time that was downed at the Redskins 2.... who downed it?HOLY CRAP,I WAS RIGHT?!?![&lt;:o)].i've never even been there!try another pure guess here.....pepper?
</p>

lol... your mouse has the hiccups, again.</p>damn thing!oh,well,you get what you pay for.6$ at the farmers market.lol!

StrahanSoup92
02-26-2010, 11:17 PM
I would love to participate in this thread, but Im too dumb, lol.

YATittle1962
02-26-2010, 11:32 PM
reasons!

he wore #54

YATittle1962
02-26-2010, 11:33 PM
I would love to participate in this thread, but Im too dumb, lol.

you should throw a few out there......

its a good time

gmen 24/7
02-26-2010, 11:45 PM
I have asked this before but now I remember the answer what is the Giants all time record against the NFC east (this includes teams like the cardinals who are no longer in it. Good luck

gmen 24/7
02-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Cmon im sure at least one person can get this one right. [H]

zimonami
02-27-2010, 03:08 AM
reasons! he wore #54</P>

Andy Headen. Was always very decent depth for us</P>

zimonami
02-27-2010, 03:17 AM
I have asked this before but now I remember the answer what is the Giants all time record against the NFC east (this includes teams like the cardinals who are no longer in it. Good luck
</P>

I remember this question, gmen. Unfortunately, I don't remember the answer. I'll stab at 182 - 172</P>

ny06
02-27-2010, 07:56 AM
287 wins, 228 losses, vs nfc east teams all-time

YATittle1962
02-27-2010, 04:01 PM
reasons! he wore #54</P>

Andy Headen.* Was always very decent depth for us</P>

right on Zim....and yes...good depth indeed

zimonami
02-27-2010, 05:18 PM
In '58, Jimmy Patton tied the Giants single season INT record.</P>

What was that record? (Their record still stands... 52 years later)</P>

Who did JP tie??</P>

I'll give you the year... '51</P>

</P>

</P>

zimonami
02-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Willie Williams led the Giants in INT's in 1968 (10 - tied for 2nd most with Emlen Tunnell and Frank Reagan) and 1970.</P>

Who led in INTs in 1969?</P>

YATittle1962
02-27-2010, 05:24 PM
In '58, Jimmy Patton tied the Giants single season INT record.</P>

What was that record? (Their record still stands... 52 years later)</P>

Who did JP tie??</P>

I'll give you the year... '51</P>

*</P>

*</P>

my only guess would be old offense on defense Emlen Tunnell....

and Ill guess 10?

YATittle1962
02-27-2010, 05:28 PM
just read your post after the one I replied to and realize i was wrong......hahahaha......

who led in 69?....wow thats tough......they werent the most dominant group.....

gotta think about this one

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-27-2010, 05:32 PM
<FONT color=#0000ff>We all know that Phil Simms was 22-25 pass attempts in our first Super Bowl and was the MVP.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>What was Phil's QB rating that regular season.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>a. 74.6</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>b 89.4</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>c 92.3</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>d. 101.3</FONT></P>

YATittle1962
02-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Willie Williams led the Giants in INT's in 1968 (10 - tied for 2nd most with Emlen Tunnell and Frank Reagan)* and 1970.</P>

only thing I can think of is this is a trick question and it was Williams again..... ;)
.he is the only dominant guy I can really remember from that secondary

YATittle1962
02-27-2010, 05:35 PM
<FONT color=#0000ff>We all know that Phil Simms was 22-25 pass attempts in our first Super Bowl and was *the MVP.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>b* 89.4</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>c* 92.3</FONT></P>

A feels a little low but B seems high.....

gotta go with my gut and say A......

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-27-2010, 05:36 PM
Willie Williams led the Giants in INT's in 1968 (10 - tied for 2nd most with Emlen Tunnell and Frank Reagan) and 1970.</P>

only thing I can think of is this is a trick question and it was Williams again..... ;) .he is the only dominant guy I can really remember from that secondary</P>

Spider</P>

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-27-2010, 05:37 PM
<FONT color=#0000ff>We all know that Phil Simms was 22-25 pass attempts in our first Super Bowl and was the MVP.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>b 89.4</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>c 92.3</FONT></P>

A feels a little low but B seems high..... gotta go with my gut and say A......</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>That's why you are about to become a MB HOFer! you're goooooooooood!!!</FONT></P>

YATittle1962
02-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Willie Williams led the Giants in INT's in 1968 (10 - tied for 2nd most with Emlen Tunnell and Frank Reagan)* and 1970.</P>

only thing I can think of is this is a trick question and it was Williams again..... ;) .he is the only dominant guy I can really remember from that secondary</P>

Spider</P>

oh yeah .....change my answer to Spider

EDIT: scratch that....ill go with Williams.... ;)

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-27-2010, 05:40 PM

Spider</P>

oh yeah .....change my answer to Spider EDIT: scratch that....ill go with Williams.... ;)</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaPnOASOWIU</P>

YATittle1962
02-27-2010, 05:41 PM
in SB XXV....who did Hos complete his first pass attempt to?

Zim you were there....do you remember?

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-27-2010, 05:45 PM
in SB XXV....who did Hos complete his first pass attempt to? Zim you were there....do you remember?</P>

Zeke Mowatt</P>

YATittle1962
02-27-2010, 05:48 PM
in SB XXV....who did Hos complete his first pass attempt to? Zim you were there....do you remember?</P>

Zeke Mowatt</P>

pretty sure Zeke was a Patriot that season

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-27-2010, 05:52 PM

Zeke Mowatt</P>

pretty sure Zeke was a Patriot that season</P>

Stephen Baker</P>

YATittle1962
02-27-2010, 05:55 PM

Zeke Mowatt</P>

Stephen Baker</P>

nope

it was a play action roll out......big target

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-27-2010, 06:05 PM

Zeke Mowatt</P>

Stephen Baker</P>

nope it was a play action roll out......big target</P>

Bavaro</P>

YATittle1962
02-27-2010, 06:09 PM

Zeke Mowatt</P>

Stephen Baker</P>

Bavaro</P>

right position wrong player....

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-27-2010, 06:14 PM

Zeke Mowatt</P>

Stephen Baker</P>

Bavaro</P>

right position wrong player....</P>

Well it has to be Howard Cross in that case.</P>

YATittle1962
02-27-2010, 06:18 PM
hahahaha... process of elimination BBS......

good job

in the first quarter of that same game...SB XXV......

the Giant defense while backed up against the goal line had to burn a time out avoiding a 12 men on the field call....

who was late getting off the field?

Z

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-27-2010, 06:23 PM
hahahaha... process of elimination BBS...... good job in the first quarter of that same game...SB XXV...... the Giant defense while backed up against the goal line had to burn a time out avoiding a 12 men on the field call.... who was late getting off the field? Z</P>

Dave Duerson</P>

YATittle1962
02-27-2010, 06:27 PM
hahahaha... process of elimination BBS...... good job in the first quarter of that same game...SB XXV...... the Giant defense while backed up against the goal line had to burn a time out avoiding a 12 men on the field call.... who was late getting off the field? Z</P>

Dave Duerson</P>

nope

zimonami
02-27-2010, 07:37 PM

Dave Duerson</P>

nope</P>

I'll say deOssie.</P>

geez, I go away for a little while and miss all the action.</P>

Giant record that Patton tied was 11, held by Frank Schnellbacher, '51. Hahahahaha. That was a tough one.</P>

This next answer is even harder. In '69 the INT leader was Bruce Maher.</P>

Bruce, who???Anyone remember him? I don't.</P>

All this INT questioning comes to you compliments of YA's Camel smoke ring question. I just went back through the years to see the **** Nolan, **** Lynch, Jimmy Patton years. 50's and 60's we had some dang fine DB's. We had INT machinesin Tunnell through Patton, Williams, Spider. Then you have odd balls like Schnellbacher and Maher jump in there.</P>

YATittle1962
02-27-2010, 08:21 PM
I dont remember him as a Giant at all.....Maher....

Jim Patton was a hell of a player....I would have loved to see him play in his prime........and I would give just about anything to have seen Emlen play

it was Eric Dorsey running off the field

zimonami
02-28-2010, 11:25 AM
OK, YATittle 1961...lol. </P>

I saw where StrahanSoup incorrectly noted 1961. So, let's have a 1961 Giant question, and knowing that our own YA is supremely aware of everything about the real YA's career, I expect the correct answer is on the tip of his tongue.</P>

What Giant player had the highest QB rating in 1961?</P>

(a tough one)</P>

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-28-2010, 11:29 AM

I saw where StrahanSoup incorrectly noted 1961. So, let's have a 1961 Giant question, and knowing that our own YA is supremely aware of everything about the real YA's career, I expect the correct answer is on the tip of his tongue.</P>

(a tough one)</P>

</P>

Guglielmi</P>

zimonami
02-28-2010, 11:59 AM

(a tough one)</P>

</P>

Guglielmi</P>

</P>

An excellent guess, BB62. Gugliemi wasn't on the roster until 1962... but, it was a far better guess than I could have made (this question didn't come off the top of my head... I looked it up)</P>

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-28-2010, 12:05 PM

(a tough one)</P>

</P>

Guglielmi</P>

</P>

An excellent guess, BB62. Gugliemi wasn't on the roster until 1962... but, it was a far better guess than I could have made (this question didn't come off the top of my head... I looked it up)</P>

</P>

Well now you made me look it up LOL Bob Gaiters</P>

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-28-2010, 12:47 PM
<FONT color=#0000ff>Who led the Giants in TD's in 1963 and with how many?</FONT>

Bleedin Blue Since '62
02-28-2010, 12:49 PM
In 1963 we lost to the Bears on a cold Chicago day and again came just short of an NFL title.</P>

Who QB'd the Bears that day?</P>

zimonami
02-28-2010, 02:24 PM
<FONT color=#0000ff>Who led the Giants in TD's in 1963 and with how many?</FONT></P>

Good one. I'll guess Joe Morrison.</P>

zimonami
02-28-2010, 02:26 PM

(a tough one)</P>

</P>

Guglielmi</P>

</P>

</P>

Well now you made me look it up LOL Bob Gaiters</P>

</P>

Ol' Bob was 3 for 3 with a 158.2 QB rating. Sort of an unfair question. I was wondering if YA was gonna, naturally, put YA as his answer.</P>

zimonami
02-28-2010, 02:29 PM
In 1963 we lost to the Bears on a cold Chicago day and again came just short of an NFL title.</P>

</P>

That was Bill Wade. He couldn't hold YA's jock, and we outplayed the Bears, but lost. I think that, for our own YATittle 1962, this was the single most painful Giant loss he has ever experienced. We were the best team that year.</P>

YATittle1962
02-28-2010, 05:41 PM

</P>

That was Bill Wade.* He couldn't hold YA's jock, and we outplayed the Bears, but lost.* I think that, for our own YATittle 1962, this was the single most painful Giant loss he has ever experienced.* We were the best team that year.</P>

Zim ...it was like watching your dad get beat up or something......

watching your hero melt....

watching Superman experience kryptonite .....

that loss scarred my youthful brain with affects that linger to this day....

we were the better team that day

YATittle1962
02-28-2010, 06:45 PM
same game 63 Championship....

who caught the pass on the play that almost took YA out of the game?

and who hit YA in the knee on that play?

zimonami
02-28-2010, 06:48 PM

</P>

That was Bill Wade. He couldn't hold YA's jock, and we outplayed the Bears, but lost. I think that, for our own YATittle 1962, this was the single most painful Giant loss he has ever experienced. We were the best team that year.</P>

Zim ...it was like watching your dad get beat up or something...... watching your hero melt.... watching Superman experience kryptonite ..... <FONT size=4>that loss scarred my youthful brain with affects that linger to this day</FONT>.... we were the better team that day</P>

lol. perhaps we can arrange a sit-down with the team Psych. </P>

I feel safeguessing that, had we won that game, you would now be known as "YA Tittle 1963" ??</P>

See... right there,your currentID, is the subliminal denial of that '63 season and proof that you were scarred.for life.</P>

StrahanSoup92
02-28-2010, 06:56 PM

</P>

That was Bill Wade.* He couldn't hold YA's jock, and we outplayed the Bears, but lost.* I think that, for our own YATittle 1962, this was the single most painful Giant loss he has ever experienced.* We were the best team that year.</P>

Zim ...it was like watching your dad get beat up or something...... watching your hero melt.... watching Superman experience kryptonite ..... <FONT size=4>that loss scarred my youthful brain with affects that linger to this day</FONT>.... we were the better team that day</P>

lol. perhaps we can arrange a sit-down with the team Psych.* </P>

I feel safe*guessing that, had we won that game, you would now be known as "YA Tittle 1963" ??</P>

See... right there,*your current*ID, is the subliminal denial of that '63 season and proof that you were scarred.for life.</P>

LOL

YATittle1962
02-28-2010, 07:00 PM

</P>

lol. perhaps we can arrange a sit-down with the team Psych.* </P>

I feel safe*guessing that, had we won that game, you would now be known as "YA Tittle 1963" ??</P>

See... right there,*your current*ID, is the subliminal denial of that '63 season and proof that you were scarred.for life.</P>

hahahahahaha....great point ZIm

I was 11 when that season ended and my dad told me years later in 81 when we made the playoffs that at the end of that 63 game I was crying and I told him we would never ever win a Championship again........he said...I think your theory goes out the window this season......he was wrong.... ;)

I dont remember crying or telling him that....but I really did take those games to heart.....

I was one of those kids that waited all week for sunday afternoon......I lived for those Giants

its funny.....I still get that same feeling sometimes......very nostalgic

YATittle1962
02-28-2010, 07:37 PM
you guys got me thinking about 63 and now im all worked up....

one thing I absolutely remember is the last game of the season at Yankee Stadium.....vs the Steelers I think......I remember clear as day the whole stadium counting down the last seconds as they ticked off the clock....

what a day....

in the 63 opener vs the Colts ...what Giant caught his first TD pass since 1959?

zimonami
02-28-2010, 07:47 PM
same game 63 Championship.... who caught the pass on the play that almost took YA out of the game? and who hit YA in the knee on that play?</P>

I'm gonna say Giff on the pass, and Doug Adkins on the hit to YA.</P>

zimonami
02-28-2010, 07:52 PM
you guys got me thinking about 63 and now im all worked up.... one thing I absolutely remember is the last game of the season at Yankee Stadium.....vs the Steelers I think......I remember clear as day the whole stadium counting down the last seconds as they ticked off the clock.... what a day.... in the 63 opener vs the Colts ...what Giant caught his first TD pass since 1959?</P>

I think this is a trick question... because I can't think of a single Giant that was there between '59 - '62 that would have had a 3 year drought in receiving a TD pass. So, I'm going to say Hugh McElhenny cuz I don't know if he caught a TD passes inthose yearswith the Niners and Vikings before he was with us in '63.</P>

StrahanSoup92
02-28-2010, 07:55 PM
They should change the name of this thread from DID YOU KNOW to DO U REMEMBER ;)

YATittle1962
02-28-2010, 08:16 PM
same game 63 Championship.... who caught the pass on the play that almost took YA out of the game? and who hit YA in the knee on that play?</P>

Giff caught the pass...but the guy who put the hit on YA was a LB who played some offense for the Rams before going to the Bears...

Atkins was a great guess though

YATittle1962
02-28-2010, 08:18 PM
you guys got me thinking about 63 and now im all worked up.... one thing I absolutely remember is the last game of the season at Yankee Stadium.....vs the Steelers I think......I remember clear as day the whole stadium counting down the last seconds as they ticked off the clock.... what a day.... in the 63 opener vs the Colts ...what Giant caught his first TD pass since 1959?</P>

I think this is a trick question... because I can't think of a single Giant that was there between '59 - '62 that would have had a 3 year drought in receiving a TD pass.* So, I'm going to say Hugh McElhenny cuz I don't know if he caught a TD passes in*those years*with the Niners and Vikings before he was with us in '63.</P>

not a trick question....

this guy was a Giant for that whole drought ...

he later went on to play for the Steelers and I think the Vikings

zimonami
02-28-2010, 10:42 PM
They should change the name of this thread from DID YOU KNOW to DO U REMEMBER ;)</P>

You are absolutely right... but the die was cast nearly a year ago.</P>

And, remembering, for me, is getting harder and harder. I take educated guesses about things I knew cold years ago...lol.</P>

StrahanSoup92
02-28-2010, 10:45 PM
They should change the name of this thread from DID YOU KNOW to DO U REMEMBER ;)</P>

And, remembering, for me, is getting harder and harder. I take educated guesses about things I knew cold years ago...lol.</P>

Haha, you guys both seem to know plenty ;)

Make me feel like I know nothing, lol. Although I am only 28, so I cant possibly know the things you guys do.

zimonami
02-28-2010, 10:53 PM

Giff caught the pass...but the guy who put the hit on YA was a LB who played some offense for the Rams before going to the Bears... Atkins was a great guess though</P>

Only LBs I can remember are Bill george and joe Fortunato, and neither of them played for the Rams before the Bears... so, I have to give up. But, it was a good question.</P>

zimonami
02-28-2010, 10:58 PM

I think this is a trick question... because I can't think of a single Giant that was there between '59 - '62 that would have had a 3 year drought in receiving a TD pass. So, I'm going to say Hugh McElhenny cuz I don't know if he caught a TD passes inthose yearswith the Niners and Vikings before he was with us in '63.</P>

not a trick question.... this guy was a Giant for that whole drought ... he later went on to play for the Steelers and I think the Vikings</P>

That has to be Phil King. hard to believe, although I think he was hurt for most of one season. I figured it couldn't be a WR... that's why I chose Hugh Mc. That left me with Phil and Alex. Phil did go to the Steelers, and then the Vikes.</P>

zimonami
02-28-2010, 11:02 PM

Haha, you guys both seem to know plenty ;) Make me feel like I know nothing, lol. Although I am only 28, so I cant possibly know the things you guys do.</P>

hahaha, Stray. you're dealing with an old fart (YA), and an even older fart (me). We're both older than dirt.</P>

I'm sure you can hold your own with questions from the last 10-15 years. We'll have to change direction and do more current stuff. YA and I often like to wax nostalgic.</P>

YATittle1962
02-28-2010, 11:04 PM
Larry Morris put the hit on YA.....

and Phil King had the catch against the Colts that was his first TD catch since 59.

ok....

name the guys from the 68 defense chasing down Billy Kilmer in this picture

from left to right...79, 71, 73, 75

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9880/getattachmentaspxko.jpg

zimonami
02-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Tiki's first 1,000 yd. season was 2000.</P>

Who was the last Giant to get 1,000 yeards before that?</P>

YATittle1962
02-28-2010, 11:10 PM
hey Strasoup...heres one for the younger guys....

what NFL record did Kerry Collins not so proudly hold alone in 2001.......until Daunte Culpepper so kindly matched his record in 2002?

StrahanSoup92
02-28-2010, 11:13 PM

what NFL record did Kerry Collins not so proudly hold alone in 2001.......until Daunte Culpepper so kindly matched his record in 2002?

Oh I actually know this...fumbles. Collins had the fumblitus that year.

*edit* well Im not positive, lol, so now if Im wrong Im going to look real dumb,

YATittle1962
02-28-2010, 11:14 PM

*edit* well Im not positive, lol, so now if Im wrong Im going to look real dumb,

you know how many?

gmen 24/7
02-28-2010, 11:15 PM
146-152-3 Is the answer to the earlier question of the giants all time nfc east record I wasnt able to get on this thread earlier sorry.

StrahanSoup92
02-28-2010, 11:16 PM

you know how many?

I cvould look it up but I wont, Ill guess...

More than 20?? 23??

YATittle1962
02-28-2010, 11:16 PM

you know how many?

I cvould look it up but I wont, Ill guess...

More than 20?? 23??

right on

oooof Kerry

StrahanSoup92
02-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Wow really?? LOL that was a straight guess honest. Hahahah.

YATittle1962
02-28-2010, 11:48 PM

and Phil King had the catch against the Colts that was his first TD catch since 59.

ok....

StrahanSoup92
02-28-2010, 11:54 PM

ok....

Bruce Anderson
Bob Lurtsema
Roger Anderson

I dont know the 4th.

This one I cheated, I looked it up ;) Sorry.

YATittle1962
02-28-2010, 11:55 PM

ok....

Bruce Anderson
Bob Lurtsema
Roger Anderson

I dont know the 4th.

This one I cheated, I looked it up ;)

wow

the fourth is the most famous one......

long time Giant warrior...#75

and its not cheating if you tell ;)

zimonami
02-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Larry Morris put the hit on YA..... and Phil King had the catch against the Colts that was his first TD catch since 59. ok.... name the guys from the 68 defense chasing down Billy Kilmer in this picture from left to right...79, 71, 73, 75 http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9880/getattachmentaspxko.jpg</P>

I didn't remember Larry Morris. In fact, Richie Pettibone is the only other one I can remember now, along with the guys I already mentioned. Didn't mention Petti cuz he was a safety.</P>

71 is Bib Lurtsema and 75 is the kat, Katcavage.</P>

I'm drawing a blank on 79 and 73.</P>

</P>

I remember Collins and his fumble record. But, I didn't remember 23. That's an awful lot of fumbles in a season. Brutal.</P>

rbcarpenter
03-01-2010, 01:39 AM
the answer to zim's question is gary brown[:D].bet everyone thought it was hampton!

YATittle1962
03-01-2010, 10:10 AM
in the dramatic 1961 season finally against the browns.....what Giants offensive star picked off Milt Plum while playing some defense?

Z

GiantsWinAlltime
03-01-2010, 10:15 AM
in the dramatic 1961 season finally against the browns.....what Giants offensive star picked off Milt Plum while playing some defense? ZMan you must be a pimp, drug dealer, retired or have a lot of money to live off on,because you sure have a lot of post for the small amount of times you have been posting. Getting that many postsin a small amount of time can be hard when one has a job.

YATittle1962
03-01-2010, 10:35 AM
in the dramatic 1961 season finally against the browns.....what Giants offensive star picked off Milt Plum while playing some defense? ZMan you must be a pimp, drug dealer, retired or have a lot of* money to live off on,*because you sure have a lot of post for the small amount of times you have been posting. Getting that many posts*in a small amount of time can be hard when one has a job.

never been a 9 to 5 guy in my life.....

I have been very lucky and have been able to make a living in the entertainment industry......

busted my *** from the bottom to the top GWAT......

these boards are like therapy to me.....

anywhere I can go and talk about my absolute favorite subject with a bunch of guys and girls who are as coo coo as me......Im in

GiantsWinAlltime
03-01-2010, 10:41 AM
in the dramatic 1961 season finally against the browns.....what Giants offensive star picked off Milt Plum while playing some defense? ZMan you must be a pimp, drug dealer, retired or have a lot of money to live off on,because you sure have a lot of post for the small amount of times you have been posting. Getting that many postsin a small amount of time can be hard when one has a job. never been a 9 to 5 guy in my life..... I have been very lucky and have been able to make a living in the entertainment industry...... busted my *** from the bottom to the top GWAT...... these boards are like therapy to me..... anywhere I can go and talk about my absolute favorite subject with a bunch of guys and girls who are as coo coo as me......Im inOh that is great. I use to come here after work but now I am free like a man who served his time. Getting where I am today took me a long time.

YATittle1962
03-01-2010, 10:43 AM
in the dramatic 1961 season finally against the browns.....what Giants offensive star picked off Milt Plum while playing some defense? ZMan you must be a pimp, drug dealer, retired or have a lot of* money to live off on,*because you sure have a lot of post for the small amount of times you have been posting. Getting that many posts*in a small amount of time can be hard when one has a job. never been a 9 to 5 guy in my life..... I have been very lucky and have been able to make a living in the entertainment industry...... busted my *** from the bottom to the top GWAT...... these boards are like therapy to me..... anywhere I can go and talk about my absolute favorite subject with a bunch of guys and girls who are as coo coo as me......Im inOh that is great. I use to come here after work but now I am free like a man who served his time. Getting where I am today took me a long time.

good for you GWAT.....

a little hard work never killed anyone.....well....besides Jimmy Hoffa

;)

Carlosinho
03-01-2010, 10:51 AM
in the dramatic 1961 season finally against the browns.....what Giants offensive star picked off Milt Plum while playing some defense? ZMan you must be a pimp, drug dealer, retired or have a lot of money to live off on,because you sure have a lot of post for the small amount of times you have been posting. Getting that many postsin a small amount of time can be hard when one has a job. never been a 9 to 5 guy in my life..... I have been very lucky and have been able to make a living in the entertainment industry...... busted my *** from the bottom to the top GWAT...... these boards are like therapy to me..... anywhere I can go and talk about my absolute favorite subject with a bunch of guys and girls who are as coo coo as me......Im inOh that is great. I use to come here after work but now I am free like a man who served his time. Getting where I am today took me a long time.

good for you GWAT.....

;)

So, who was that player in 61'? Damn, those Browns were amazing back in the day. Otto Graham and Jim Brown were ridiculous. Did the Gmen win that year's championship?

YATittle1962
03-01-2010, 10:54 AM
in the dramatic 1961 season finally against the browns.....what Giants offensive star picked off Milt Plum while playing some defense? ZMan you must be a pimp, drug dealer, retired or have a lot of* money to live off on,*because you sure have a lot of post for the small amount of times you have been posting. Getting that many posts*in a small amount of time can be hard when one has a job. never been a 9 to 5 guy in my life..... I have been very lucky and have been able to make a living in the entertainment industry...... busted my *** from the bottom to the top GWAT...... these boards are like therapy to me..... anywhere I can go and talk about my absolute favorite subject with a bunch of guys and girls who are as coo coo as me......Im inOh that is great. I use to come here after work but now I am free like a man who served his time. Getting where I am today took me a long time.

good for you GWAT.....

;)

So, who was that player in 61'?* Damn, those Browns were amazing back in the day.* Otto Graham and Jim Brown were ridiculous.* Did the Gmen win that year's championship?

no they lost it to the Packers.....

gunna wait to see if some of the guys can get it.....

Carlosinho
03-01-2010, 11:01 AM

good for you GWAT.....

;)

So, who was that player in 61'? Damn, those Browns were amazing back in the day. Otto Graham and Jim Brown were ridiculous. Did the Gmen win that year's championship?

no they lost it to the Packers.....

gunna wait to see if some of the guys can get it.....

I am doing a bit of reading, and Graham did not play that game. He retired in 55'. Sorry for the mistake, although Jim Brown did play that year.

Here is the info for the 61' season; http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1961/

zimonami
03-01-2010, 11:08 AM
in the dramatic 1961 season finally against the browns.....what Giants offensive star picked off Milt Plum while playing some defense? Z</P>

That had to be Mr. versatility... Joe Morrison</P>

zimonami
03-01-2010, 11:09 AM
the answer to zim's question is gary brown[:D].bet everyone thought it was hampton!
</P>

Bingo, rbc. Brown it was. Yes, I expected someone to say Rodney.</P>

YATittle1962
03-01-2010, 11:12 AM
in the dramatic 1961 season finally against the browns.....what Giants offensive star picked off Milt Plum while playing some defense? Z</P>

can always count on Zim to pull these out....

Ol' Joe was amazing....

he truly was the glue...

you could line him up anywhere and he would produce...

a true true football PLAYER.....

not a specialist ...just played the game....

YATittle1962
03-01-2010, 11:33 AM
anyone know where Roseys "Giant pic of the day" thread is.....?

I cant find it and would like to revive it....

one of my favorite threads...

if anyone has seen it....hit me up

StrahanSoup92
03-01-2010, 11:51 AM
in the dramatic 1961 season finally against the browns.....what Giants offensive star picked off Milt Plum while playing some defense? ZMan you must be a pimp, drug dealer, retired or have a lot of* money to live off on,*because you sure have a lot of post for the small amount of times you have been posting. Getting that many posts*in a small amount of time can be hard when one has a job.

Dude your post count is just as crazy, lol, over 10k in 4 years is a lot...to some.

Tittle is at a rate to hit about 13k at 4 years, your both ridiculous.

*edit* Oh, nevermind Tittle your a madman, lol. Well, your both post mongers if you ask me ;)

SEC105
03-01-2010, 03:18 PM
I don't think this one was ever answered. Simms had his first completion to Johnny Perkins vs the Saints in 1979. Not long after he had his first interception. The player was who picked him off was aformer Giant LBer who was with us for 5 or 6 years. I think N. O. Saints picked him up in there expansion draft [not positive on this]. Any guesses as towho it was?</P>

Z</P>

zimonami
03-01-2010, 04:46 PM
I don't think this one was ever answered. Simms had his first completion to Johnny Perkins vs the Saints in 1979. Not long after he had his first interception. The player was who picked him off was aformer Giant LBer who was with us for 5 or 6 years. I think N. O. Saints picked him up in there expansion draft [not positive on this]. Any guesses as towho it was?</P>

Z</P>

</P>

You're slipping, half way SEC. I answered the Johnny Perkins question on page 270. And, you acknowledged it. Time for a nap? lol</P>

I didn't answer the LB portion of your question, cuz I didn't know the answer. But, your hint thatit was a LB who played with us for many years was the key... had to be Pat Hughes. I don't think anyone answered that one when you first asked.</P>

Hughes wore a famous number. What? (mentioning Hughes and his number might have been asked here... not too long ago... I can't remember.)</P>

</P>

rbcarpenter
03-01-2010, 04:59 PM
I don't think this one was ever answered. Simms had his first completion to Johnny Perkins vs the Saints in 1979. Not long after he had his first interception. The player was who picked him off was aformer Giant LBer who was with us for 5 or 6 years. I think N. O. Saints picked him up in there expansion draft [not positive on this]. Any guesses as towho it was?</p>

Z</p>

</p>

You're slipping, half way SEC. I answered the Johnny Perkins question on page 270. And, you acknowledged it. Time for a nap? lol</p>

I didn't answer the LB portion of your question, cuz I didn't know the answer. But, your hint thatit was a LB who played with us for many years was the key... had to be Pat Hughes. I don't think anyone answered that one when you first asked.</p>

Hughes wore a famous number. What? (mentioning Hughes and his number might have been asked here... not too long ago... I can't remember.)</p>

</p>#56

SEC105
03-01-2010, 05:12 PM

Z</P>

</P>

You're slipping, half way SEC. I answered the Johnny Perkins question on page 270. And, you acknowledged it. Time for a nap? lol</P>

I didn't answer the LB portion of your question, cuz I didn't know the answer. But, your hint thatit was a LB who played with us for many years was the key... had to be Pat Hughes. I don't think anyone answered that one when you first asked.</P>

Hughes wore a famous number. What? (mentioning Hughes and his number might have been asked here... not too long ago... I can't remember.)</P>

</P>

#56</P>

Yup it was Pat Hughes I just woke up from a nap jk lol Did we lose Hughes in the expansion draft to the Saints? Anyone recall?</P>

Z</P>

zimonami
03-01-2010, 05:29 PM

Z</P>

</P>

</P>

#56</P>

Yup it was Pat Hughes I just woke up from a nap jk lol Did we lose Hughes in the expansion draft to the Saints? Anyone recall?</P>

Z</P>

</P>

#56... right rbc. </P>

What number did he wear with NO?</P>

SEC... looked up Hughes. was with us '70-'76 and NO from '77-'79. </P>

NO came into the league in '67, so it couldn't have been an expansion draft. Must have been a straight trade.</P>

zimonami
03-01-2010, 05:54 PM

can always count on Zim to pull these out.... Ol' Joe was amazing.... he truly was the glue... you could line him up anywhere and he would produce... a true true football PLAYER..... not a specialist ...just played the game....</P>

Amen</P>

Remember Tom Matte, playing QB for the Colts? I always thought Joe coulda done a respectable job at QB. </P>

Old time Giant fans held him in awe. </P>

Roswell777
03-01-2010, 06:01 PM
in the dramatic 1961 season finally against the browns.....what Giants offensive star picked off Milt Plum while playing some defense? Z</p>

That had to be Mr. versatility... Joe Morrison</p>

can always count on Zim to pull these out.... Ol' Joe was amazing.... he truly was the glue... you could line him up anywhere and he would produce... a true true football PLAYER..... not a specialist ...just played the game....</p>

Amen</p>

Remember Tom Matte, playing QB for the Colts? I always thought Joe coulda done a respectable job at QB. </p>

Old time Giant fans held him in awe. </p>

#40 was my favorite Giant as a kid. Held a lot of career records for a Giant when he retired. What college did he go on to coach?

zimonami
03-01-2010, 07:25 PM

can always count on Zim to pull these out.... Ol' Joe was amazing.... he truly was the glue... you could line him up anywhere and he would produce... a true true football PLAYER..... not a specialist ...just played the game....</P>

Amen</P>

Remember Tom Matte, playing QB for the Colts? I always thought Joe coulda done a respectable job at QB. </P>

Old time Giant fans held him in awe. </P>

#40 was my favorite Giant as a kid. Held a lot of career records for a Giant when he retired. What college did he go on to coach?

</P>

His last job was with South Carolina. That's where he wascoaching whenhe died (at 51! Way too young). I think he was with New Mewxico before that. Before that??? That's the answer we want.</P>

Joe only led the team in rushing 1 year, and was the leading receiver 2X (but, like with 40 receptions). I don't think he ever got more than 500 yds rushing in a season. You wonder how he was so revered by us fans. </P>

He just did it all. Not glamorous. No 100 yard games. Just respectable numbers rushing and receiving every game, every year. Our Eveready Bunny. Played on D, too, as YA noted. </P>

Bleedin Blue Since '62
03-01-2010, 07:38 PM

</P>

</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>correct! What Chicago Bear QB led the NFL in passing a couple of years later?</FONT></P>

YATittle1962
03-01-2010, 09:40 PM
cant imagine what Bear QB led the league in passing ....looking forward to that answer.....

heres one....

when the Giants played the 49ers in 1979.........which was a great game by the way......Earnest Gray caught some ridiculous balls....hell of a rookie....

any way...in that game....

there was a future SB winning coach and a future movie star (who was later know for other things) playing on that 49er team....

who were they?

StrahanSoup92
03-01-2010, 10:03 PM

</P>

</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>correct!** What Chicago Bear QB led the NFL in passing a couple of years later?</FONT></P>

I have no clue...but I know that George Halas was probably the coach back that year.

StrahanSoup92
03-01-2010, 10:05 PM

</P>

</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>correct!** What Chicago Bear QB led the NFL in passing a couple of years later?</FONT></P>

Bill Wade? He was a Bears QB in the 60s. LOL.

zimonami
03-01-2010, 10:14 PM

</P>

</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>correct! What Chicago Bear QB led the NFL in passing a couple of years later?</FONT></P>

</P>

Seriously? I can only remember Bobby Douglas in the late 60's. He definitely couldn't have led the league in passing... maybe running yards for a QB.</P>

It musta been a QB between Wade and Douglas... but I can't remember who... and if he was good, why did the Bears end up with Douglas?</P>

zimonami
03-01-2010, 10:22 PM
cant imagine what Bear QB led the league in passing ....looking forward to that answer..... heres one.... when the Giants played the 49ers in 1979.........which was a great game by the way......Earnest Gray caught some ridiculous balls....hell of a rookie.... any way...in that game.... there was a future SB winning coach and a future movie star (who was later know for other things) playing on that 49er team.... who were they?</P>

I didn't know either one. So, I looked it up. Wow, is all I can say. Big surprise on both. I forgot that the movie star/player ended his career there. And, the Super Bowl coach only played in the NFL for a cup of coffee and I never would have known what teams he played with. </P>

I'm not gonna give the answers cuz if any of the guys know this, they should take a bow. </P>

Good question</P>

rbcarpenter
03-02-2010, 12:47 AM
cant imagine what Bear QB led the league in passing ....looking forward to that answer..... heres one.... when the Giants played the 49ers in 1979.........which was a great game by the way......Earnest Gray caught some ridiculous balls....hell of a rookie.... any way...in that game.... there was a future SB winning coach and a future movie star (who was later know for other things) playing on that 49er team.... who were they?</p>

I didn't know either one. So, I looked it up. Wow, is all I can say. Big surprise on both. I forgot that the movie star/player ended his career there. And, the Super Bowl coach only played in the NFL for a cup of coffee and I never would have known what teams he played with. </p>

I'm not gonna give the answers cuz if any of the guys know this, they should take a bow. </p>

Good question</p>well,these are pure guesses,but here goes-movie star/player-oj simpson.traded to sf after his knees were shot.the only possible sb winning coach i can think of is ray rhodes as an assistant in sf and gb.that's as far as my thinking takes me.[;)]

rbcarpenter
03-02-2010, 12:50 AM
i looked up the coach,and i was STUNNED!i had no idea he played there![:S]

zimonami
03-02-2010, 01:19 AM
i looked up the coach,and i was STUNNED!i had no idea he played there![:S]
</P>

good going, rbc. yeah, I was stunned, too. I neverremember Tony Dungy as a player. '77 - '78 with the Steelers, and '79 with the Niners. He was a practice squad player with the Giants in '80.</P>

YATittle1962
03-02-2010, 10:07 AM
O.J. Simpson and Tony Dungy on the same team.....

I forgot they were both 49ers at one time in 79

in the 1981 wilcard game vs the Eagles......

Giants opening possession they go 3 & out and punt the ball....

a gunner runs down field and hits the punt returner and the ball comes loose and the Giants recover....

who was that gunner?

this kid became a pretty good player.... ;)

Roswell777
03-02-2010, 10:28 AM

Giants opening possession they go 3 &amp; out and punt the ball....

a gunner runs down field and hits the punt returner and the ball comes loose and the Giants recover....

who was that gunner?

I remember the play, if I'm not mistaken it happened near the goal line and near the sideline. Don't remember the player so I'm going to throw out a name. Mark Haynes?

SEC105
03-02-2010, 10:59 AM

who was that gunner?

I believe that guy who became a pretty good player was ..................LT
Who recovered the fumble for us?
Z

YATittle1962
03-02-2010, 11:27 AM

who was that gunner?

I believe that guy who became a pretty good player was ..................LT
Who recovered the fumble for us?
Z

hell yeah SEC.....great call.....

Beasley Reese recovered it......I think anyway...hahahaha.....

what long time Giant defensive player......drafted in 56...... scored his only career TD against the Redskins at Yankee Stadium in 1963?

Z

zimonami
03-02-2010, 01:29 PM
O.J. Simpson and Tony Dungy on the same team..... I forgot they were both 49ers at one time in 79 in the 1981 wilcard game vs the Eagles...... Giants opening possession they go 3 &amp; out and punt the ball.... a gunner runs down field and hits the punt returner and the ball comes loose and the Giants recover.... who was that gunner? this kid became a pretty good player.... ;) I believe that guy who became a pretty good player was ..................LT Who recovered the fumble for us? Z hell yeah SEC.....great call..... Beasley Reese recovered it......I think anyway...hahahaha..... what long time Giant defensive player......drafted in 56...... scored his only career TD against the Redskins at Yankee Stadium in 1963? Z</P>

I think the Kat, katcavage, scored in that game. I kinda think it's probably a DB or LB that scored on an interception, but I'm pretty sure Kat got one on a fumble return.</P>

YATittle1962
03-02-2010, 02:26 PM
O.J. Simpson and Tony Dungy on the same team..... I forgot they were both 49ers at one time in 79 in the 1981 wilcard game vs the Eagles...... Giants opening possession they go 3 & out and punt the ball.... a gunner runs down field and hits the punt returner and the ball comes loose and the Giants recover.... who was that gunner? this kid became a pretty good player.... ;) I believe that guy who became a pretty good player was ..................LT Who recovered the fumble for us? Z hell yeah SEC.....great call..... Beasley Reese recovered it......I think anyway...hahahaha..... what long time Giant defensive player......drafted in 56...... scored his only career TD against the Redskins at Yankee Stadium in 1963? Z</P>

I think the Kat, katcavage, scored in that game.* I kinda think it's probably a DB or LB that scored on an interception, but I'm pretty sure Kat got one on a fumble return.</P>

it was big #75...right on Zim.....

hard to believe all the years the Kat played for us......and played very very well......this was his only TD......

I know he had some safeties.......

how many?

...a question I dont know the answer to by the way..... ;)

Gianthunter
03-02-2010, 02:44 PM
O.J. Simpson and Tony Dungy on the same team..... I forgot they were both 49ers at one time in 79 in the 1981 wilcard game vs the Eagles...... Giants opening possession they go 3 &amp; out and punt the ball.... a gunner runs down field and hits the punt returner and the ball comes loose and the Giants recover.... who was that gunner? this kid became a pretty good player.... ;) I believe that guy who became a pretty good player was ..................LT Who recovered the fumble for us? Z hell yeah SEC.....great call..... Beasley Reese recovered it......I think anyway...hahahaha..... what long time Giant defensive player......drafted in 56...... scored his only career TD against the Redskins at Yankee Stadium in 1963? Z</P>

I think the Kat, katcavage, scored in that game. I kinda think it's probably a DB or LB that scored on an interception, but I'm pretty sure Kat got one on a fumble return.</P> it was big #75...right on Zim..... hard to believe all the years the Kat played for us......and played very very well......this was his only TD...... I know he had some safeties....... how many? ...a question I dont know the answer to by the way..... ;)3and 1 int. for a 4 yd return. Interesting it shows 0 for TDs.

SEC105
03-02-2010, 03:50 PM

I think the Kat, katcavage, scored in that game. I kinda think it's probably a DB or LB that scored on an interception, but I'm pretty sure Kat got one on a fumble return.</P>

it was big #75...right on Zim..... hard to believe all the years the Kat played for us......and played very very well......this was his only TD...... I know he had some safeties....... how many? ...a question I dont know the answer to by the way..... ;)3and 1 int. for a 4 yd return. Interesting it shows 0 for TDs.</P>

Katcavage picked up a fumble in that game [@ Yankee Stadium 1963 vs theRedskins]and rambled 4 yards for a TD. 99% percent sure on that one maybe the records got it wrong , I'm just guessing but a four 4 yardint. seems like coincidence</P>

Z</P>

SEC105
03-02-2010, 03:54 PM

"turned into a pretty good player" [LT] ha ha ha that was a good one Yup it was old Beasley who recovered the ball. Nice job In that same game a few plays after we recovered Scott Brunner hit who for the first TD of the game?</P>

Z</P>

KATKAVAGE75
03-02-2010, 04:28 PM
O.J. Simpson and Tony Dungy on the same team..... I forgot they were both 49ers at one time in 79 in the 1981 wilcard game vs the Eagles...... Giants opening possession they go 3 & out and punt the ball.... a gunner runs down field and hits the punt returner and the ball comes loose and the Giants recover.... who was that gunner? this kid became a pretty good player.... ;) I believe that guy who became a pretty good player was ..................LT Who recovered the fumble for us? Z hell yeah SEC.....great call..... Beasley Reese recovered it......I think anyway...hahahaha..... what long time Giant defensive player......drafted in 56...... scored his only career TD against the Redskins at Yankee Stadium in 1963? Z</P>

I think the Kat, katcavage, scored in that game.* I kinda think it's probably a DB or LB that scored on an interception, but I'm pretty sure Kat got one on a fumble return.</P>

it was big #75...right on Zim..... hard to believe all the years the Kat played for us......and played very very well......this was his only TD...... I know he had some safeties....... how many? ...a question I dont know the answer to by the way..... ;)3*and 1 int. for a 4 yd return. Interesting it shows 0 for TDs.</P>

Katcavage picked up a fumble in that game [@ Yankee Stadium 1963 vs the*Redskins]*and rambled 4 yards for a TD.***** 99% percent sure on that one***** maybe the records got it wrong , I'm just guessing but a four 4 yard*int. seems like coincidence</P>

Z</P>

KATKAVAGE75
03-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Way to dig deep in the archives.

SEC105
03-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Way to dig deep in the archives.</P>

No problem Big Kat.....that one was for you!</P>

Z</P>

zimonami
03-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Way to dig deep in the archives.</P>

too bad we don't have a montage of hi-lites of our D in the mid to late 50's and early 60's. Kat was one who avoided the Allie Sherman purge and stayed with us until he retired in '68. But, all his great buddies were banished, little by little, starting in '64. </P>

rbcarpenter
03-02-2010, 05:07 PM
okay,lt caused the fumble with the hit,but it was mark haynes that recovered in the end zone for the score.brunner hit neon leon bright in the right flat for the games first score,and danelo missed the pat.

nope,didn't look it up,either[:D].i can still remember the '81 season like it was yesterday.[&lt;:o)]

SEC105
03-02-2010, 05:23 PM
okay,lt caused the fumble with the hit,but it was mark haynes that recovered in the end zone for the score.brunner hit neon leon bright in the right flat for the games first score,and danelo missed the pat.

nope,didn't look it up,either[:D].i can still remember the '81 season like it was yesterday.[&lt;:o)]
</P>

On our first punt LT hit him and caused the fumble. Beasley Reese recovered. A few plays later Brunner hit Leon Bright for that first score Good job RC Haynes KR return fumble recovery was our 3rd TD. What Giant [DB]smashed the KRer causing that Haynes recovery and TD?</P>

Z</P>

zimonami
03-02-2010, 05:29 PM

"turned into a pretty good player" [LT] ha ha ha that was a good one Yup it was old Beasley who recovered the ball. Nice job In that same game a few plays after we recovered Scott Brunner hit who for the first TD of the game?</P>

Z</P>

</P>

I remember Mistler getting a TD pass.</P>

SEC105
03-02-2010, 05:36 PM

Z</P>

</P>

</P>

Yup that was the second TD passfrom Brunner. Nice Z I suppose I should also ask who was the Eagle return man responsible for both those fumbles</P>

Z</P>

zimonami
03-02-2010, 05:50 PM

Z</P>

</P>

</P>

Yup that was the second TD passfrom Brunner. Nice Z I suppose I should also ask who was the Eagle return man responsible for both those fumbles</P>

Z</P>

</P>

Wow. I can't remember an Eagle return man from then.</P>

The only one I remember is Vai Sikhahema, but that was later. He is indelibly printed in my mindand... I know you all know why. I wish that the creep had coughed a few up to us in his time. Being near the Philly News stations, it's a bummer to see Vai doing sports, and more of a bummer seeing Beesley doing Philly sports.</P>

rbcarpenter
03-02-2010, 07:10 PM
wally henry,who was actually a pretty good return man in his day.

Hostetler
03-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Dear God I love this thread!!!! I remember Mark Haynes and Lester Hayes both were pretty damn good CB's. Remember SUmmerall and Madden saying they were prolly the best CB tandem in football.
Sunday's were something very very special during Football season, Mama would cook pasta on sundays's and we would eat just before or just after the Giants game. Her sauce (we called it gravy) would start up at around 10 am - Meatballs, sausage, Bracciole, and the scent would drive us crazy. My Grandpa, Pa my 3 older brother's and I would have some heated discussions about our teams (Gramps and dad were eagle fans, I was a Giants fan, 2 of my brothers liked the Cowboys, and my space cadet brother liked the Rams, and the Dodgers for that matter, never understood that - he was wayy to young to remember them in brooklyn) Sorry - I had to share this trip down memory lane because remembering Mark Haynes brings back all thos fond memories.

Bleedin Blue Since '62
03-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Dear God I love this thread!!!! I remember Mark Haynes and Lester Hayes both were pretty damn good CB's. Remember SUmmerall and Madden saying they were prolly the best CB tandem in football. Sunday's were something very very special during Football season, Mama would cook pasta on sundays's and we would eat just before or just after the Giants game. Her sauce (we called it gravy) would start up at around 10 am - Meatballs, sausage, Bracciole, and the scent would drive us crazy. My Grandpa, Pa my 3 older brother's and I would have some heated discussions about our teams (Gramps and dad were eagle fans, I was a Giants fan, 2 of my brothers liked the Cowboys, and my space cadet brother liked the Rams, and the Dodgers for that matter, never understood that - he was wayy to young to remember them in brooklyn) Sorry - I had to share this trip down memory lane because remembering Mark Haynes brings back all thos fond memories.</P>

<FONT color=#000080>Great post! Haynes and Hayes were clearly the best CB tandem for a while.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#000080>I would kill for some Bracciole!!!!!!! Haven't had it in many years. The grand parents have all been deceased for a long time.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#000080>My parents always wanted to have Sunday dinner about 2pm butI would watch the Giant game or listen to it on radio if it was a home game.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#000080>And of course I knew there would be bigtime leftovers.</FONT></P>

zimonami
03-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Dear God I love this thread!!!! I remember Mark Haynes and Lester Hayes both were pretty damn good CB's. Remember SUmmerall and Madden saying they were prolly the best CB tandem in football. Sunday's were something very very special during Football season, Mama would cook pasta on sundays's and we would eat just before or just after the Giants game. Her sauce (we called it gravy) would start up at around 10 am - Meatballs, sausage, Bracciole, and the scent would drive us crazy. My Grandpa, Pa my 3 older brother's and I would have some heated discussions about our teams (Gramps and dad were eagle fans, I was a Giants fan, 2 of my brothers liked the Cowboys, and my space cadet brother liked the Rams, and the Dodgers for that matter, never understood that - he was wayy to young to remember them in brooklyn) Sorry - I had to share this trip down memory lane because remembering Mark Haynes brings back all thos fond memories.</P>

Hey, Hos... good to see ya'</P>

Mark Haynes was excellent, and tough as nails. You never saw an arm tackle from him.... one of our all time best DB's. Hayes and Haynes were a great tandem.</P>

Wow, you're the only Giant fan in the family? Well, you had the smiles in the '07 season. Didn't your Dad try to make you an eagles fan when you were a kid?</P>

Now you made me hungry. Your Mom's pasta sauce sounds dee-licious.</P>

Hostetler
03-02-2010, 07:52 PM

<FONT color=#000080>Great post! Haynes and Hayes were clearly the best CB tandem for a while.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#000080>I would kill for some Bracciole!!!!!!!*** Haven't had it in many years. The grand parents have all been deceased for a long time.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#000080>My parents always wanted to have Sunday dinner about 2pm but*I would watch the Giant game or listen to it on radio if it was a home game.</FONT></P>

<FONT color=#000080>And of course I knew there would be bigtime leftovers.</FONT></P>

Sunday dinner was always between 2pm and 3pm, unless it was football season, and all the males in our house were NFC fans (and I think my Dad liked summerall and madden better than the NBC jet announcers) we scheduled dinner around the Giants games. That's not to say we didn't watch the other game, just there was absolutely NO football related things during dinner( too many times the bowl of rigatoni or Fussilli went flying)

Hostetler
03-02-2010, 08:07 PM

Mark Haynes was excellent, and tough as nails.* You never saw an arm tackle from him.... one of our all time best DB's.* Hayes and Haynes were a great tandem.</P>

Wow, you're the only Giant fan in the family?* Well, you had the smiles in the '07 season. Didn't your Dad try to make you an eagles fan when you were a kid?</P>

Actually it was my Dad who made me a Giants fan. A certain handoff gone wrong in 1978 sealed the deal for me. I was looking for my own , I guess you can say, football identity, and I really really had a hero worship of Larry Czonka, all growing up I had heard about how great he was etc etc. anyway - the Cowboy's were out, the Eagles were out, and the only team we can watch every week was the Giants and Jets. Than there was Brad Van Pelt, who quickly became my favorite player. I just loved his luchbox mentality and style of physical aggressive football.

YATittle1962
03-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Dear God I love this thread!!!! I remember Mark Haynes and Lester Hayes both were pretty damn good CB's. Remember SUmmerall and Madden saying they were prolly the best CB tandem in football.
Sunday's were something very very special during Football season, Mama would cook pasta on sundays's and we would eat just before or just after the Giants game. Her sauce (we called it gravy) would start up at around 10 am - Meatballs, sausage, Bracciole, and the scent would drive us crazy. My Grandpa, Pa my 3 older brother's and I would have some heated discussions about our teams (Gramps and dad were eagle fans, I was a Giants fan, 2 of my brothers liked the Cowboys, and my space cadet brother liked the Rams, and the Dodgers for that matter, never understood that - he was wayy to young to remember them in brooklyn) Sorry - I had to share this trip down memory lane because remembering Mark Haynes brings back all thos fond memories.

hell yeah Hos...

it was "gravy " in my house to.....1 pm every sunday......pasta every wednesday to some reason.....I never knew why....

unfortunately Dad and I had miss a lot of those sunday dinners to go to the games.....

86 season NFC Championship game.....sometime in....I believe it was the second quarter.....Schroeder takes the snap and a Giant chases him 25 yards back before just missing the sack as Schroeder just got the ball off but incomplete....

what Giant chased him 25 yards in reverse?

zimonami
03-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Dear God I love this thread!!!! I remember Mark Haynes and Lester Hayes both were pretty damn good CB's. Remember SUmmerall and Madden saying they were prolly the best CB tandem in football. Sunday's were something very very special during Football season, Mama would cook pasta on sundays's and we would eat just before or just after the Giants game. Her sauce (we called it gravy) would start up at around 10 am - Meatballs, sausage, Bracciole, and the scent would drive us crazy. My Grandpa, Pa my 3 older brother's and I would have some heated discussions about our teams (Gramps and dad were eagle fans, I was a Giants fan, 2 of my brothers liked the Cowboys, and my space cadet brother liked the Rams, and the Dodgers for that matter, never understood that - he was wayy to young to remember them in brooklyn) Sorry - I had to share this trip down memory lane because remembering Mark Haynes brings back all thos fond memories. hell yeah Hos... it was "gravy " in my house to.....1 pm every sunday......pasta every wednesday to some reason.....I never knew why.... unfortunately Dad and I had miss a lot of those sunday dinners to go to the games..... 86 season NFC Championship game.....sometime in....I believe it was the second quarter.....Schroeder takes the snap and a Giant chases him 25 yards back before just missing the sack as Schroeder just got the ball off but incomplete.... what Giant chased him 25 yards in reverse?</P>

This is killing me, YA. I can see the whole frustrating chase in my head, but not the Giant. Somewhere my brain pictures Banks/</P>

ny06
03-02-2010, 10:27 PM

hell yeah Hos...

it was "gravy " in my house to.....1 pm every sunday......pasta every wednesday to some reason.....I never knew why....

unfortunately Dad and I had miss a lot of those sunday dinners to go to the games.....

86 season NFC Championship game.....sometime in....I believe it was the second quarter.....Schroeder takes the snap and a Giant chases him 25 yards back before just missing the sack as Schroeder just got the ball off but incomplete....

George Martin

zimonami
03-02-2010, 10:35 PM

Mark Haynes was excellent, and tough as nails. You never saw an arm tackle from him.... one of our all time best DB's. Hayes and Haynes were a great tandem.</P>

Wow, you're the only Giant fan in the family? Well, you had the smiles in the '07 season. Didn't your Dad try to make you an eagles fan when you were a kid?</P>

Actually it was my Dad who made me a Giants fan. A certain handoff gone wrong in 1978 sealed the deal for me. I was looking for my own , I guess you can say, football identity, and I really really had a hero worship of Larry Czonka, all growing up I had heard about how great he was etc etc. anyway - the Cowboy's were out, the Eagles were out, and the only team we can watch every week was the Giants and Jets. Than there was Brad Van Pelt, who quickly became my favorite player. I just loved his luchbox mentality and style of physical aggressive football.</P>

Oddly enough, Hos, the 6 - 10 1978 team was one of my favorites. The defense had Van, Kelley, Carson, Mendenhall, Archer, Terry Jackson. I always thought what killed them was McVay, and needing a better QB (thus, why they chose Simms with their #1 in '79). I wish everyone could see film of Troy Archer and Mendenhall... they gave 100% passion on every snap, as did our LBs.</P>

On offense there was Doug Kotar... another lunchpail guygiving 100% effort that everyone loved... team mates and fans. I always liked Czonka with Miami and was thrilled that he came to us. He also was 100% effort, butwas a step slower thanin his prime.</P>

YATittle1962
03-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Dear God I love this thread!!!! I remember Mark Haynes and Lester Hayes both were pretty damn good CB's. Remember SUmmerall and Madden saying they were prolly the best CB tandem in football. Sunday's were something very very special during Football season, Mama would cook pasta on sundays's and we would eat just before or just after the Giants game. Her sauce (we called it gravy) would start up at around 10 am - Meatballs, sausage, Bracciole, and the scent would drive us crazy. My Grandpa, Pa my 3 older brother's and I would have some heated discussions about our teams (Gramps and dad were eagle fans, I was a Giants fan, 2 of my brothers liked the Cowboys, and my space cadet brother liked the Rams, and the Dodgers for that matter, never understood that - he was wayy to young to remember them in brooklyn) Sorry - I had to share this trip down memory lane because remembering Mark Haynes brings back all thos fond memories. hell yeah Hos... it was "gravy " in my house to.....1 pm every sunday......pasta every wednesday to some reason.....I never knew why.... unfortunately Dad and I had miss a lot of those sunday dinners to go to the games..... 86 season NFC Championship game.....sometime in....I believe it was the second quarter.....Schroeder takes the snap and a Giant chases him 25 yards back before just missing the sack as Schroeder just got the ball off but incomplete.... what Giant chased him 25 yards in reverse?</P>

This is killing me, YA. I can see the whole frustrating chase in my head, but not the Giant.* Somewhere my brain pictures Banks/</P>

Zimmy

you never cease to amaze me....seriously...

that was a tough one.....

certain things are just programmed in your memory I guess...

nice job brother

rbcarpenter
03-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Dear God I love this thread!!!! I remember Mark Haynes and Lester Hayes both were pretty damn good CB's. Remember SUmmerall and Madden saying they were prolly the best CB tandem in football. Sunday's were something very very special during Football season, Mama would cook pasta on sundays's and we would eat just before or just after the Giants game. Her sauce (we called it gravy) would start up at around 10 am - Meatballs, sausage, Bracciole, and the scent would drive us crazy. My Grandpa, Pa my 3 older brother's and I would have some heated discussions about our teams (Gramps and dad were eagle fans, I was a Giants fan, 2 of my brothers liked the Cowboys, and my space cadet brother liked the Rams, and the Dodgers for that matter, never understood that - he was wayy to young to remember them in brooklyn) Sorry - I had to share this trip down memory lane because remembering Mark Haynes brings back all thos fond memories.</p>

Hey, Hos... good to see ya'</p>

Mark Haynes was excellent, and tough as nails. You never saw an arm tackle from him.... one of our all time best DB's. Hayes and Haynes were a great tandem.</p>

Wow, you're the only Giant fan in the family? Well, you had the smiles in the '07 season. Didn't your Dad try to make you an eagles fan when you were a kid?</p>

Now you made me hungry. Your Mom's pasta sauce sounds dee-licious.</p>

Actually it was my Dad who made me a Giants fan. A certain handoff gone wrong in 1978 sealed the deal for me. I was looking for my own , I guess you can say, football identity, and I really really had a hero worship of Larry Czonka, all growing up I had heard about how great he was etc etc. anyway - the Cowboy's were out, the Eagles were out, and the only team we can watch every week was the Giants and Jets. Than there was Brad Van Pelt, who quickly became my favorite player. I just loved his luchbox mentality and style of physical aggressive football.</p>

Oddly enough, Hos, the 6 - 10 1978 team was one of my favorites. The defense had Van, Kelley, Carson, Mendenhall, Archer, Terry Jackson. I always thought what killed them was McVay, and needing a better QB (thus, why they chose Simms with their #1 in '79). I wish everyone could see film of Troy Archer and Mendenhall... they gave 100% passion on every snap, as did our LBs.</p>

On offense there was Doug Kotar... another lunchpail guygiving 100% effort that everyone loved... team mates and fans. I always liked Czonka with Miami and was thrilled that he came to us. He also was 100% effort, butwas a step slower thanin his prime.</p>if troy had not been taken from this mortal coil so early,he would have been the next bob lilly.[:'(]

Hostetler
03-03-2010, 06:21 AM

hell yeah Hos...

Funny Y.A. - It was spaghetti on wednesday too.
Usually carne pizziola, Friday's was always fish.

I remember that play as well - I always thought that Carl Banks was overshadowed by Carson and Taylor early on. Another LB I thought was underrated by everyone but Giants fans was Gary Reasons.

zimonami
03-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Dear God I love this thread!!!! I remember Mark Haynes and Lester Hayes both were pretty damn good CB's. Remember SUmmerall and Madden saying they were prolly the best CB tandem in football. Sunday's were something very very special during Football season, Mama would cook pasta on sundays's and we would eat just before or just after the Giants game. Her sauce (we called it gravy) would start up at around 10 am - Meatballs, sausage, Bracciole, and the scent would drive us crazy. My Grandpa, Pa my 3 older brother's and I would have some heated discussions about our teams (Gramps and dad were eagle fans, I was a Giants fan, 2 of my brothers liked the Cowboys, and my space cadet brother liked the Rams, and the Dodgers for that matter, never understood that - he was wayy to young to remember them in brooklyn) Sorry - I had to share this trip down memory lane because remembering Mark Haynes brings back all thos fond memories. hell yeah Hos... it was "gravy " in my house to.....1 pm every sunday......pasta every wednesday to some reason.....I never knew why.... unfortunately Dad and I had miss a lot of those sunday dinners to go to the games..... 86 season NFC Championship game.....sometime in....I believe it was the second quarter.....Schroeder takes the snap and a Giant chases him 25 yards back before just missing the sack as Schroeder just got the ball off but incomplete.... what Giant chased him 25 yards in reverse? Funny Y.A. - It was spaghetti on wednesday too. Usually carne pizziola, Friday's was always fish. I remember that play as well - I always thought that Carl Banks was overshadowed by Carson and Taylor early on. Another LB I thought was underrated by everyone but Giants fans was Gary Reasons.</P>

I've always said Reasons was the No. 4 LB in that group... but, he would be No. 1 on our current group. We need a few studs there. Hoping Boley and Sintim can be 2 of them... then FA or draft to fill MLB.</P>

YATittle1962
03-03-2010, 12:14 PM
some unsung heroes.....

a great D you never heard much about....

by looking at this Defensive huddle can you guess what year it was?

...thats Mendenhall peeking in on the far left

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4104/defense77.jpg

whoever gets it right gets to take a hit along the sideline from a full tilt running Van Pelt........ahhhh......no thanks

zimonami
03-03-2010, 01:51 PM
some unsung heroes..... a great D you never heard much about.... by looking at this Defensive huddle can you guess what year it was? ...thats Mendenhall peeking in on the far left http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4104/defense77.jpg whoever gets it right gets to take a hit along the sideline from a full tilt running Van Pelt........ahhhh......no thanks</P>

I think that's 1977. #21 is Bill Bryant and 29 is Jack Powers (this is what gave it away... I don't think they were with us in '78). That's also Gregory, 81, and Dan Lloyd, 54... both of them were big favorites</P>

YATittle1962
03-03-2010, 02:09 PM
some unsung heroes..... a great D you never heard much about.... by looking at this Defensive huddle can you guess what year it was? ...thats Mendenhall peeking in on the far left http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4104/defense77.jpg whoever gets it right gets to take a hit along the sideline from a full tilt running Van Pelt........ahhhh......no thanks</P>

I think that's 1977.* #21 is Bill Bryant and 29 is Jack Powers (this is what gave it away... I don't think they were with us in '78).* That's also Gregory, 81, and Dan Lloyd, 54... both of them were big favorites</P>

right on Zimmy...

brace yourself for the Van Pelt hit!!!!!

YATittle1962
03-03-2010, 02:16 PM
I was just thinking about the '77 season and this popped in my mind.....

cant remember what game it was.....but do you guys remember a guy falling out of the stands over the wall and onto the reddish brown ground below?

pretty sure it was in '77.......

I remember him laying there surrounded by people...he looked quite hurt...

anyone remember?

SEC105
03-03-2010, 03:33 PM
I was just thinking about the '77 season and this popped in my mind..... cant remember what game it was.....but do you guys remember a guy falling out of the stands over the wall and onto the reddish brown ground below? pretty sure it was in '77....... I remember him laying there surrounded by people...he looked quite hurt... anyone remember?</P>

I don't recall that [maybe I was in the spirals [;)]].......where was he sitting about in the Stadium?</P>

Z</P>

YATittle1962
03-03-2010, 03:34 PM
I was just thinking about the '77 season and this popped in my mind..... cant remember what game it was.....but do you guys remember a guy falling out of the stands over the wall and onto the reddish brown ground below? pretty sure it was in '77....... I remember him laying there surrounded by people...he looked quite hurt... anyone remember?</P>

I don't recall that [maybe I was in the spirals [;)]].......where was he sitting about in the Stadium*?</P>

Z</P>

it was accross from me.....so probably about 128 or 129

SEC105
03-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Who was the first NFL placekicker [ A Giant] to kick 5 field goals in his first NFL game?</P>

Z</P>

SEC105
03-03-2010, 03:36 PM

I don't recall that [maybe I was in the spirals [;)]].......where was he sitting about in the Stadium?</P>

Z</P>

it was accross from me.....so probably about 128 or 129</P>

So he went head first about 10 feetdown or so?</P>

Z</P>

YATittle1962
03-03-2010, 03:38 PM

I don't recall that [maybe I was in the spirals [;)]].......where was he sitting about in the Stadium*?</P>

Z</P>

So he went head first about 10 feet*down or so?</P>

Z</P>

pretty much.....I just remember people all around him and them taking him off on a gurney....

it was on the news later that night to

im pretty sure he fully recovered....

SEC105
03-03-2010, 03:48 PM

Z</P>

Z</P>

pretty much.....I just remember people all around him and them taking him off on a gurney.... it was on the news later that night to im pretty sure he fully recovered....</P>

Remember the mud around the edge of the field @ Yankee Stadium.............when we were really young and could just walk on the field after the game and see the players coming in. I saw some guy [he must have been three sheets to the wind] just fall backwards and lay there in it[passed out?]A sight that always kinda stuck with me lol</P>

Z</P>

YATittle1962
03-03-2010, 03:50 PM

Z</P>

Z</P>

pretty much.....I just remember people all around him and them taking him off on a gurney.... it was on the news later that night to im pretty sure he fully recovered....</P>

Remember the mud around the edge of the field @ Yankee Stadium.............when we were really young and could just walk on the field after the game and see the players coming in. I saw some guy [he must have been three sheets to the wind] just fall backwards and lay there in it*[passed out?]***A sight that always kinda stuck with me lol</P>

Z</P>

I lost a shoe in that mud once.......the same day Andy Robustelli put me on his shoulder for a picture after a game......

my dad grabbed the shoe from the mud I think......but in the picture I have on one Converse All Star and one muddy sock....hahahahaha.....

SEC105
03-03-2010, 04:00 PM

Z</P>

Z</P>

Remember the mud around the edge of the field @ Yankee Stadium.............when we were really young and could just walk on the field after the game and see the players coming in. I saw some guy [he must have been three sheets to the wind] just fall backwards and lay there in it[passed out?]A sight that always kinda stuck with me lol</P>

Z</P>

I lost a shoe in that mud once.......the same day Andy Robustelli put me on his shoulder for a picture after a game...... my dad grabbed the shoe from the mud I think......but in the picture I have on one Converse All Star and one muddy sock....hahahahaha.....</P>

That must have been great getting the pic Andy.............Bill Swain handed me his chinstrap after one game. It sure has changed these days...........but it was terrific walking on the field after the game. My Dads took me to the preseason luncheon in 1963 in NYC..........got to walk up and get everyone's autograph at the big table the Giants sat at in numericalorder.............the first season he got season tickets. Can't do that nowadays</P>

Z</P>

zimonami
03-03-2010, 04:10 PM

Z</P>

Z</P>

Z</P>

</P>

I'll take my hit on the sidelines from Brad, as long as I can be on the sidelines during a game. And Brad is RIP, so I don't expect anything bad, unless you get a surrogate tackler.</P>

I remember the guy who fell, but I didn't see him fall. I only remember people going to him and checking him out. I thought it would stop the game and take a while, buyt they got him onto the gurney and out pretty quick. I don't think they even stopped the game, but your testing my 33 years of old memory banks...lol</P>

Anyone go to the Yale Bowl for a Giant's game. I went to everyone starting summer 1968. Anyways, remember the Men's room... you pissed against the wall? I saw a dude passed out in there, half in and half out of the trench along the wall... all wet No One wanted to move him, so he just laid there.</P>

SEC105
03-03-2010, 04:18 PM

Z</P>

Z</P>

Z</P>

</P>

I'll take my hit on the sidelines from Brad, as long as I can be on the sidelines during a game. And Brad is RIP, so I don't expect anything bad, unless you get a surrogate tackler.</P>

I remember the guy who fell, but I didn't see him fall. I only remember people going to him and checking him out. I thought it would stop the game and take a while, buyt they got him onto the gurney and out pretty quick. I don't think they even stopped the game, but your testing my 33 years of old memory banks...lol</P>

Anyone go to the Yale Bowl for a Giant's game. I went to everyone starting summer 1968. Anyways, remember the Men's room... you pissed against the wall? I saw a dude passed out in there, half in and half out of the trench along the wall... all wet No One wanted to move him, so he just laid there.</P>

</P>

I believe it was called the "horses trouth"? lol.........NOT a good place to pass out in</P>

Z</P>

SEC105
03-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Who was the first NFL placekicker [ A Giant] to kick 5 field goals in his first NFL game?</P>

Z</P>

</P>

bump for question</P>

Z</P>

YATittle1962
03-03-2010, 04:32 PM

Z</P>

Z</P>

Remember the mud around the edge of the field @ Yankee Stadium.............when we were really young and could just walk on the field after the game and see the players coming in. I saw some guy [he must have been three sheets to the wind] just fall backwards and lay there in it*[passed out?]***A sight that always kinda stuck with me lol</P>

Z</P>

</P>

I'll take my hit on the sidelines from Brad, as long as I can be on the sidelines during a game.* And Brad is RIP, so I don't expect anything bad, unless you get a surrogate tackler.</P>

I remember the guy who fell, but I didn't see him fall.* I only remember people going to him and checking him out.* I thought it would stop the game and take a while, buyt they got him onto the gurney and out pretty quick.* I don't think they even stopped the game, but your testing my 33 years of old memory banks...lol</P>

Anyone go to the Yale Bowl for a Giant's game.* I went to everyone starting summer 1968. Anyways, remember the Men's room... you pissed against the wall?* I saw a dude passed out in there, half in and half out of the trench along the wall... all wet* No One wanted to move him, so he just laid there.</P>

yeah Zim they didnt even stop the game at all.....

I want to say they were playing the Cardinals....but that could be what my brain wants to see....

I remember the trough in the mens room of the Yale bowl.....you just pissed in line with everyone else while standing in piss....hahahahaha.....

hell of a situation.....

SEC......Im brainstorming on that kicker.....

rbcarpenter
03-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Who was the first NFL placekicker [ A Giant] to kick 5 field goals in his first NFL game?</p>

Z</p>

</p>

bump for question</p>

Z</p>was it gogolack?

SEC105
03-03-2010, 04:54 PM

Z</P>

</P>

bump for question</P>

Z</P>

was it gogolack?
</P>

Good guess RC...but no. It's apretty hard answer but I'm sure you guys all remember his name</P>

Z</P>

zimonami
03-03-2010, 07:17 PM

Z</P>

</P>

bump for question</P>

Z</P>

was it gogolack?
</P>

Good guess RC...but no. It's apretty hard answer but I'm sure you guys all remember his name</P>

Z</P>

</P>

I'm glad you bumped this, sec. I remember trying to think of the answer and coukln't... then I never saw the answer.</P>

I can only think of Dan Reeves boy, Treadwell. He kicked a rash of FG's in his first game. But, I think it was only 4. So it isn't him.</P>

tried to think of another first game of the season where we coulda had 5 FG;s, and can't think of one, so I'm thinking his first game was mid season.</P>

Tell!</P>

YATittle1962
03-03-2010, 09:26 PM
was it the Sheikh SEC?

name these three guys.....

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8506/postgame.jpg

rbcarpenter
03-03-2010, 09:35 PM
was it the Sheikh SEC?

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8506/postgame.jpgpisarchik,brookshire,mcvay

rbcarpenter
03-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Who was the first NFL placekicker [ A Giant] to kick 5 field goals in his first NFL game?</p>

Z</p>

</p>

bump for question</p>

Z</p>

was it gogolack?
</p>

Good guess RC...but no. It's apretty hard answer but I'm sure you guys all remember his name</p>

Z</p>

</p>

I'm glad you bumped this, sec. I remember trying to think of the answer and coukln't... then I never saw the answer.</p>

I can only think of Dan Reeves boy, Treadwell. He kicked a rash of FG's in his first game. But, I think it was only 4. So it isn't him.</p>

tried to think of another first game of the season where we coulda had 5 FG;s, and can't think of one, so I'm thinking his first game was mid season.</p>

Tell!</p>how bout pat summerall?

YATittle1962
03-03-2010, 09:40 PM
was it the Sheikh SEC?

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8506/postgame.jpgpisarchik,brookshire,mcvay

nice

gotta love it....pictures like that are so nostalgic to me.....I feel like I could smell the air in the stadium in the 70s......when I was able to run up those steps to take a quick piss.....hahahahaha.....

even though we were pretty bad...I have such wonderful memories connected to those 70s games.....aaaahhhhh my 20s

zimonami
03-03-2010, 10:40 PM
was it the Sheikh SEC? name these three guys..... http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8506/postgame.jpgpisarchik,brookshire,mcvay nice gotta love it....pictures like that are so nostalgic to me.....I feel like I could smell the air in the stadium in the 70s......when I was able to run up those steps to take a quick piss.....hahahahaha..... even though we were pretty bad...I have such wonderful memories connected to those 70s games.....aaaahhhhh my 20s</P>

I agree, YA. I think it was because we always had good D. Giant fans are always about D. It's the work ethic mentality, and we had a group od players that always gave 100%.</P>

Most of the offenses struggled, which was why we never prospered. The effort was always there, but the size and skill level wasn't. </P>

Plus, it was a new beginning in the stadium, after years of bouncing around. We were ready to get down to business and establish ourselves anew. Once we got in to the stadium we knew, at least, that we'd have a good D to start us off. Getting Phil in '79 was a first step. Getting LT in '81 helped make a really good D into a monster D. When Phil matured, along with the Suburbanites, we were ready for the top.</P>

It was a great time watching the team change and develop in those first 10 years. There were many of those players from the mid to late 70's that I wish had a chance at some post season glory. Guys like Mendenhall, who I don't think ever played in a playoff game. Gregory, Kelley, Van Pelt, Kotar... and many more great Giant warriors.</P>

rbcarpenter
03-03-2010, 11:53 PM
was it the Sheikh SEC? name these three guys..... http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/8506/postgame.jpgpisarchik,brookshire,mcvay nice gotta love it....pictures like that are so nostalgic to me.....I feel like I could smell the air in the stadium in the 70s......when I was able to run up those steps to take a quick piss.....hahahahaha..... even though we were pretty bad...I have such wonderful memories connected to those 70s games.....aaaahhhhh my 20s</p>

I agree, YA. I think it was because we always had good D. Giant fans are always about D. It's the work ethic mentality, and we had a group od players that always gave 100%.</p>

Most of the offenses struggled, which was why we never prospered. The effort was always there, but the size and skill level wasn't. </p>

Plus, it was a new beginning in the stadium, after years of bouncing around. We were ready to get down to business and establish ourselves anew. Once we got in to the stadium we knew, at least, that we'd have a good D to start us off. Getting Phil in '79 was a first step. Getting LT in '81 helped make a really good D into a monster D. When Phil matured, along with the Suburbanites, we were ready for the top.</p>

It was a great time watching the team change and develop in those first 10 years. There were many of those players from the mid to late 70's that I wish had a chance at some post season glory. Guys like Mendenhall, who I don't think ever played in a playoff game. Gregory, Kelley, Van Pelt, Kotar... and many more great Giant warriors.</p>the bad thing about that pic is brookshire turning to pisarchik and asking,"how could you put that ball on his hip??"and,before he can answer,turns to mcvay and says,"and why didn't you have him just take a knee?"oh,how my guts were ripped out on that day![+o(]