PDA

View Full Version : DID YOU KNOW??

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53

YATittle1962
09-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Ahhhh.... Dexter Womanly

old man Zimmy strikes again

zimonami
09-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Hey, YA... how has your back been??

YATittle1962
09-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Hey, YA... how has your back been??

been ok

it was fine for about 9 months ...then had a few problems and had to go in and have another procedure

tried again to deal with it through therapy but it wouldnt budge

everything is cool now though

lots of stretches and Yoga and a little morning soreness ....nothing I can't deal with

it did bother me a bit though in the stadium seats on Wed. night

thanks for asking Zim

zimonami
09-07-2012, 10:45 PM
been ok

it was fine for about 9 months ...then had a few problems and had to go in and have another procedure

tried again to deal with it through therapy but it wouldnt budge

everything is cool now though

lots of stretches and Yoga and a little morning soreness ....nothing I can't deal with

it did bother me a bit though in the stadium seats on Wed. night

thanks for asking Zim
My fingers crossed for ya'
Stretches, yoga, walking... stomach muscles make the whole core strong.
Since the last of my 3 ops (2 posts and 6 screws) I've had 10 spinal injections... they work good.
Stay active... take care of yourself.

zimonami
09-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Ok... this will be easy for somebody...
Who is the only person in the world who has won a superbowl ring and an Academy Awards?

Roswell777
09-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Ok... this will be easy for somebody...
Who is the only person in the world who has won a superbowl ring and an Academy Awards?

Hey Zim. Good question. Afraid I don't have a good answer. Rather than looking it up, I'm going to wait and see if someone knows the answer...without looking it up, that is.

fansince69
09-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Hey Zim. Good question. Afraid I don't have a good answer. Rather than looking it up, I'm going to wait and see if someone knows the answer...without looking it up, that is.

I looked it up...I'm not gonna ruin it but the super bowl ring part is kind of misleading.....nice question

zimonami
09-12-2012, 11:34 PM
I looked it up...I'm not gonna ruin it but the super bowl ring part is kind of misleading.....nice question
Ok, he was not ON the field playing to earn his SB ring.... and, he was not IN the movie that he won an Academy award for
But, he most certainly earned both.

YATittle1962
09-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Ok, he was not ON the field playing to earn his SB ring.... and, he was not IN the movie that he won an Academy award for
But, he most certainly earned both.

my guess would be Steve Tisch

zimonami
09-13-2012, 12:18 AM
my guess would be Steve Tisch
wtg, YA... produced Forest Gump and, of course, has 2 SB rings with the Gmen.

alentown pa
09-14-2012, 11:12 PM
In what season did the giants play the Tampa bay bucs twice?

giantsfan420
09-14-2012, 11:16 PM
2007?

alentown pa
09-14-2012, 11:26 PM
2007?

nope but good guess..

keyofgmen
09-15-2012, 07:35 AM
In what season did the giants play the Tampa bay bucs twice?

1st season NFL went to 16 game season and I belief the year Bucs went to NFC Central at the time...1978

YATittle1962
09-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Eli threw for 510 yds yesterday

who is he sandwiched by in the Giants most passing yards in a game column ?

fansince69
09-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Eli threw for 510 yds yesterday

who is he sandwiched by in the Giants most passing yards in a game column ?

Phil Simms 513 ...1985

Ya Tittle 505 1962 I think

YATittle1962
09-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Phil Simms 513 ...1985

Ya Tittle 505 1962 I think

yessir

fansince69
09-17-2012, 06:42 PM
yessir

I knew tha Simms part...ya tittle I saw earlier today....Ive been trying to find this but can't...I believe within a couple weeks of Simms doing his 513 he had another day That I thought was over 500 also,but it must have been high 400s like 480-490

jomo
09-17-2012, 06:50 PM
505 yards in 1962 is just mindblowing. It probably translates to 700 yards in today's game.

YATittle1962
09-17-2012, 07:18 PM
505 yards in 1962 is just mindblowing. It probably translates to 700 yards in today's game.

that was the first game I ever went to jomo

I was a month from turning 10 years old

YA could have thrown for 600 yards that day if they didn't call off the dogs

fansince69
09-17-2012, 07:25 PM

Just out of curiosity....Is YA your favorite player(of all time) and if so was it because of that day?

zimonami
09-17-2012, 07:36 PM

YA, Simms, Eli.
Nice company
I think you need to throw Charlie Conerly in there and you have the 4 greatest Giant QB's.
The only thing that is regrettable is that YA didn't have 4-5 more years with a Giant helmet on.

YATittle1962
09-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Just out of curiosity....Is YA your favorite player(of all time) and if so was it because of that day?

absolutely

and it is indeed because of that day

until that day I spent every game day listening to the game on the radio with my mom and my brother while dad and my uncle Mike were at the games ....we didn't have a television

I remember hearing his name over and over during the game broadcast and I knew he wore 14.....but that was pretty much the extent of it

to finally see the guy at work in person and witness a record setting day like that had a very profound impact on my 9 year old brain

he threw 7 TDs that day ........I thought he was the greatest player to ever suit up when I was a kid

YA was very ahead of his time and could have absolutely played at a very high level in todays NFL

fansince69
09-17-2012, 07:41 PM
absolutely

and it is indeed because of that day

until that day I spent every game day listening to the game on the radio with my mom and my brother while dad and my uncle Mike were at the games ....we didn't have a television

I remember hearing his name over and over during the game broadcast and I knew he wore 14.....but that was pretty much the extent of it

to finally see the guy at work in person and witness a record setting day like that had a very profound impact on my 9 year old brain

he threw 7 TDs that day ........I thought he was the greatest player to ever suit up when I was a kid

Thanks for the insight....Isn't it amazing how we choose our childhood heroes?

YATittle1962
09-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the insight....Isn't it amazing how we choose our childhood heroes?

it sure is

I remember I had a blue long sleeve shirt that just happened to have a #14 on it......wasn't a giants shirt or anything ...just a random shirt

every single day after school I would put that shirt on ......go out in the courtyard and draw two football players on the brick of the building with chalk ( this is in the Bronx) and I would draw an 85 on one and 45 on the other for Shofner and Jones........then I would drop back and throw the football at these chalk drawings for hours until the sun went down

ah memories

kakesem
09-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Hey YA... thanks for starting this thread... long time member just don't post much, but i figured that my first post on the new board should be on your thread... cheers and go blue!

YATittle1962
09-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Hey YA... thanks for starting this thread... long time member just don't post much, but i figured that my first post on the new board should be on your thread... cheers and go blue!

much appreciated kakesem

come visit us more

I thought this thread would have been long gone ...long ago

but there are DYK faithful ......who just happen to be some of my favorite posters....who enjoy it here and keep it alive

come back soon

fansince69
09-17-2012, 07:54 PM
it sure is

I remember I had a blue long sleeve shirt that just happened to have a #14 on it......wasn't a giants shirt or anything ...just a random shirt

every single day after school I would put that shirt on ......go out in the courtyard and draw two football players on the brick of the building with chalk ( this is in the Bronx) and I would draw an 85 on one and 45 on the other for Shofner and Jones........then I would drop back and throw the football at these chalk drawings for hours until the sun went down

ah memories

Don't even get me started down this road........the kids on here wouldn't believe what we did as kids to pass the time without video games and computers and cell phones

YATittle1962
09-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Don't even get me started down this road........the kids on here wouldn't believe what we did as kids to pass the time without video games and computers and cell phones

hahahaha

a piece of chalk, a brick wall, and a football was my video game, computer and cell phone

for years

zimonami
09-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Stop by more often, kakesem... any Giant fans are welcome.
lol... just noticed your status... Bench Player... 26 posts in 5 years... you ARE selective.
Well, Jeremy Lin was a bench player.
Dan Lloyd and Doug Kotar were Bench players... and the fans loved them for the effort they gave our team every play they got in there.
Thank for stopping by.

fansince69
09-17-2012, 08:02 PM
hahahaha

a piece of chalk, a brick wall, and a football was my video game, computer and cell phone

for years

I was lucky enough to grow up with a yard....But if there weren't enough kids around my brother and I had 1 on 1 games of both football and baseball...special rules adapted to our yard and our game...so I guess mY brother and a football or baseball were our computer and vid games lol

zimonami
09-17-2012, 08:14 PM
hahahaha

for years
So true, YA. Give us a handball court and there were several different games you could play. Every wall facing some open spaces had a strike zone chalked onto it. We even had a handball/baseball game that we played, with a tennis ball or pinky, on half a basketball court.
You could set boundaries for a 2 hand touch game or a stickball game nearly anyplace that cars weren't zipping by. If we played on dirt instead of concrete it usually became flag/tackle

kakesem
09-17-2012, 08:24 PM
Thanks Zimonami... just notice "bench player" status also and thought that was funny as I have been a bench player my whole life, but everyone has to know their role and I will take being compared to Kotar and Lloyd any day.

zimonami
09-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Thanks Zimonami... just notice "bench player" status also and thought that was funny as I have been a bench player my whole life, but everyone has to know their role and I will take being compared to Kotar and Lloyd any day.
You've already surpassed 2 months quota with your 2 posts today..
Getting 'chatty' in your old age???
Breaking out of your shell?
LOL
Just 'zim' is good.

jomo
09-17-2012, 09:28 PM
So true, YA. Give us a handball court and there were several different games you could play. Every wall facing some open spaces had a strike zone chalked onto it. We even had a handball/baseball game that we played, with a tennis ball or pinky, on half a basketball court.
You could set boundaries for a 2 hand touch game or a stickball game nearly anyplace that cars weren't zipping by. If we played on dirt instead of concrete it usually became flag/tackleWow you're making me nostalgic.

I remember the endless whiffle ball games. Our wiffle balls were usually patched together with black electical tape. No lack of fun or imagination in my neighborhood in Newark back in the day..............and I never ever had the thought "I'm bored" creep into my consciousness.

My best memories though were when it snowed more than 10 inches or so, we'd play tackle football right out in the street with a sort of helmet thing and not much else.

zimonami
09-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Wow you're making me nostalgic.

I remember the endless whiffle ball games. Our wiffle balls were usually patched together with black electical tape. No lack of fun or imagination in my neighborhood in Newark back in the day..............and I never ever had the thought "I'm bored" creep into my consciousness.

My best memories though were when it snowed more than 10 inches or so, we'd play tackle football right out in the street with a sort of helmet thing and not much else.
jomo- I can't tell you how happy I was that we didn't have computers as kids.
Rain, snow, cold, heat... it didn't matter, we were outside finding some game to play.
Like the two kids at the beginning of "Big"... a stickball bat and a ball, and a bike to share to get you there.
Recess and lunch time and you didn't waste a minute choosing sides and getting something started.
Even worst case, you and a buddy and a ball, and 2 sidewalk slabs separating you, with a popsicle stick in the middle.

YATittle1962
09-17-2012, 11:39 PM
Rain, snow, cold, heat... it didn't matter, we were outside finding some game to play.
Like the two kids at the beginning of "Big"... a stickball bat and a ball, and a bike to share to get you there.
Recess and lunch time and you didn't waste a minute choosing sides and getting something started.
Even worst case, you and a buddy and a ball, and 2 sidewalk slabs separating you, with a popsicle stick in the middle.

you guys have my mind going now

back in the Bronx only one of our friends Mickey had a bike......so we would fit four of us on one bike

one guy on the seat
one guy sitting sideways on the frame
usually me on the handle bars
and Mickey the Ox standing on the pedals pumping

what made me think of that is when you mentioned the stick ball bat .....one of us always had a bat or a stick and a pocket full of knucklebones
I almost always had a transistor radio on me listening to the Yankees in the summer

I can see us now riding to Mullaly Park

fansince69
09-17-2012, 11:41 PM

back in the Bronx only one of our friends Mickey had a bike......so we would fit four of us on one bike

one guy on the seat

what made me think of that is when you mentioned the stick ball bat .....one of us always had a bat or a stick and a pocket full of knuckle bones
I almost always had a transistor radio on me

Mickey from the Bronx? was his last name Mantle?

YATittle1962
09-17-2012, 11:45 PM
Mickey from the Bronx? was his last name Mantle?

hahahahah

nah...that Mickey was who we were listening to on the radio

Mickey Russo was his name .......strong as an ox

his mom called him Michael....but he was Mickey to us

Roswell777
09-18-2012, 02:38 AM
Johnny on the pony, freeze tag, ring a leavio, hide and go seek....even when we didn't play sports, we were always running.

My kids are in their 20s and I tell them all the time that we played more in one day than they do in a week

zimonami
09-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Johnny on the pony, freeze tag, ring a leavio, hide and go seek....even when we didn't play sports, we were always running.

My kids are in their 20s and I tell them all the time that we played more in one day than they do in a week
The younger kids that are about 10 now... we ran more in 1 day than they run in a year.

fansince69
09-18-2012, 12:47 PM
The younger kids that are about 10 now... we ran more in 1 day than they run in a year.

Yeah and we walked 5 miles to school uphill both ways in the snow.....oh wait that was my grandfather lol

zimonami
09-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Yeah and we walked 5 miles to school uphill both ways in the snow.....oh wait that was my grandfather lol
hahaha.... the parking lot of my HS was a stone's throw away...

jomo
09-20-2012, 11:17 PM
Even worst case, you and a buddy and a ball, and 2 sidewalk slabs separating you, with a popsicle stick in the middle.Wow, I hadn't thought of the 2 sidewalk slabs and a popsicle stick in 30 years. How about stoop ball where you threw the ball into your front steps and depending on where it landed, you could have a single double triple or home run unless your oponent caught it first? We had more 2 man games than I can't remember now.

zimonami
09-20-2012, 11:46 PM
Wow, I hadn't thought of the 2 sidewalk slabs and a popsicle stick in 30 years. How about stoop ball where you threw the ball into your front steps and depending on where it landed, you could have a single double triple or home run unless your oponent caught it first? We had more 2 man games than I can't remember now.
YES... stoop ball.
Ring Alevio; Keep Away; Free for All. We played a lot of 1 wall handball, and punchball, which was like baseball
Had a strike zone chalked onto the handall wall. Went to the HS baseball field to hit long flies to my buddy, and then he hit to me... which was why I played Center Field.

Roswell777
09-21-2012, 10:23 PM
YES... stoop ball.
Ring Alevio; Keep Away; Free for All. We played a lot of 1 wall handball, and punchball, which was like baseball
Had a strike zone chalked onto the handall wall. Went to the HS baseball field to hit long flies to my buddy, and then he hit to me... which was why I played Center Field.

How about box baseball? Using three sidewalk boxes...or saluggi? Or knockouts off the backboard in the schoolyard? Or catch a fly's up?

Wow...I miss that stuff. We used to play tackle football in the snow on the blacktop in the park. And shoot bottle rockets at each other on the roof of my apartment building on July 4th. Senseless and stupid and somehow nobody got hurt.

jomo
09-21-2012, 10:36 PM
How about box baseball? Using three sidewalk boxes...or saluggi? Or knockouts off the backboard in the schoolyard? Or catch a fly's up?

Wow...I miss that stuff. We used to play tackle football in the snow on the blacktop in the park. And shoot bottle rockets at each other on the roof of my apartment building on July 4th. Senseless and stupid and somehow nobody got hurt.When we were short on players we'd have baseball games where you had to go to the oposite field. There's be a first baseman but as a lefty hitter, if I didn't shoot it left of second base on the ground or in the air, I was out automatically. We learned bat control that way.

Roswell777
09-21-2012, 10:43 PM
When we were short on players we'd have baseball games where you had to go to the oposite field. There's be a first baseman but as a lefty hitter, if I didn't shoot it left of second base on the ground or in the air, I was out automatically. We learned bat control that way.

And if you had an uneven amount of guys you would bat and then play the field for the other team.

In football, I made a career out of padding my stats as an "official quarterback.". Throwing for both teams.

BigBlue1971
09-21-2012, 10:49 PM

one guy on the seat

what made me think of that is when you mentioned the stick ball bat .....one of us always had a bat or a stick and a pocket full of knucklebones
I almost always had a transistor radio on me listening to the Yankees in the summer

i dont come on here much mainly because i cant answer trivia questions without googling! lol

but when you mentioned Mullaly Park i had to comment. as you know i grew up just off Walton Ave on Tudor Pl. that park was within 5 mins of my house. as kids we were down there a lot.

they have added so much to that park since i was a kid. its incredible this board can bring back so many memories!

jomo
09-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Has anyone seen Jmike around lately?
That girl had great NYG knowledge and just the right amount of attitude.
We can always use posters like that on here to keep it interesting.

zimonami
09-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Has anyone seen Jmike around lately?
That girl had great NYG knowledge and just the right amount of attitude.
We can always use posters like that on here to keep it interesting.
She got tired of dealing with imbeciles... didn't have any patience for it... so she stopped coming on.
I miss her, too.

jomo
09-27-2012, 07:16 PM
She got tired of dealing with imbeciles... didn't have any patience for it... so she stopped coming on.
I miss her, too.That stinks, I thought she had to sass to just ignore them. She was really good and I hope she brings it back to DYK.

jomo
10-12-2012, 06:44 PM
What former Giants defensive coordinator became head coach of the 49ers?

CowboysSuck
10-12-2012, 06:49 PM
This thread sucks

jomo
10-12-2012, 06:53 PM
This thread sucksOne of my faves! The best posters (for the most part) hang out here. Go Blue!!

CowboysSuck
10-12-2012, 06:55 PM
couldnt have been the Dennis Erickson era?

jomo
10-12-2012, 07:07 PM
couldnt have been the Dennis Erickson era?No but his father was also an NFL coach and played for the cowboys.

CowboysSuck
10-12-2012, 07:18 PM
I wasnt born before 1989 so I probably wont be able to answer a question like this

CowboysSuck
10-12-2012, 07:18 PM
I have a friend who is a huge niners fan and all i remember about 7th grade was how much he hated Dennis Erickson

CowboysSuck
10-12-2012, 07:22 PM
or how about, Which player drafted by the New York Giants would later end up as the 49ers head coach?

zimonami
10-12-2012, 08:42 PM
What former Giants defensive coordinator became head coach of the 49ers?
**** Nlan?

zimonami
10-12-2012, 08:42 PM
or how about, Which player drafted by the New York Giants would later end up as the 49ers head coach?
**** Nolan?

jomo
10-12-2012, 11:18 PM
**** Nolan?Good job Zim, Mike Nolan. His dad was **** Nolan.

zimonami
10-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Avery satisfying win, on many levels.
When all the pundits had us losing.
An excellent game by the OLine. I am eating my words on them... thankfully.
Bradshaw, tough as nails.
Wilson, great burst into the hole.
Nicks and Cruz... the best WR's I have ever seen on the Giants. A pleasure to watch. Hixon wasn't too shabby today, either.
Nice job by the D.
The DB's actually looked like they're learning the zone... but, still some holes. Rolle and Prince were good
There's a thread about Blackburn on here that frosts my ***. Like he was supposed to cover that WR last weeek... he took a bad angle. He's too slow. He missed a lot of tackles.
Yes, he missed a few. When we get better, he'll be out there.
For now, shut up and appreciate what we've got.
Williams had a good game.
The D line was constant pressure. Tuck and Osi aren'y getting the marquee sacks... but they keep their feet and put on constant pressure.

Coaches prepared them well.

I hope this shuts up a lot of people.

zimonami
10-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Avery satisfying win, on many levels.
When all the pundits had us losing.
An excellent game by the OLine. I am eating my words on them... thankfully.
Bradshaw, tough as nails.
Wilson, great burst into the hole.
Nicks and Cruz... the best WR's I have ever seen on the Giants. A pleasure to watch. Hixon wasn't too shabby today, either.
Nice job by the D.
The DB's actually looked like they're learning the zone... but, still some holes. Rolle and Prince were good
There's a thread about Blackburn on here that frosts my ***. Like he was supposed to cover that WR last weeek... he took a bad angle. He's too slow. He missed a lot of tackles.
Yes, he missed a few. When we get better, he'll be out there.
For now, shut up and appreciate what we've got.
Williams had a good game.
The D line was constant pressure. Tuck and Osi aren'y getting the marquee sacks... but they keep their feet and put on constant pressure.

Coaches prepared them well.

I hope this shuts up a lot of people.

Bump

zimonami
10-22-2012, 12:40 PM
When was the last time that the Gmen were down by 7 or less, with less that 3-4 mins on the clock, and Eli did NOT come through with a game winning or game tying drive?
Opponent and year.

fansince69
10-22-2012, 12:48 PM
When was the last time that the Gmen were down by 7 or less, with less that 3-4 mins on the clock, and Eli did NOT come through with a game winning or game tying drive?
Opponent and year.
49 ers last year seattle last year

JimC
10-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Opponent and year.

This year against the Eagles.

zimonami
10-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Good try fansince69... but, JimC wins the Kewpie doll on this one... actually,a trick question because I figured most peeps would think back to last year and not the recent Eagles game..

fansince69
10-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Good try fansince69... but, JimC wins the Kewpie doll on this one... actually,a trick question because I figured most peeps would think back to last year and not the recent Eagles game..
yupp your right for some reason missing the field goal at the end made me have a brain fart about the fact that it fit the criteria..

giant-4-life
10-22-2012, 05:48 PM
my props to my fellow fans.. I wasn't even a Gmen fan back then.

Abby Manning
10-22-2012, 06:45 PM
This thread is still going? I thought after the board changes we'd lose some of these old chain threads....and some older posters for that matter ;)
Is the asian giant for head coach thread buried yet, or did someone dig it up recently?

alentown pa
10-22-2012, 06:54 PM
This thread is still going? I thought after the board changes we'd lose some of these old chain threads....and some older posters for that matter ;)
Is the asian giant for head coach thread buried yet, or did someone dig it up recently?

The asian thread is still around...its under the "general sports section"

alentown pa
10-22-2012, 07:01 PM

The Asian for head coach thread is a good one to use on Gameday when these boards get crazy with people picking apart every play and calling for someone to be fired. There are a lot of good people who post on there that know their stuff when it comes to the Giants, alot of the same people who post on the DYK, post there.

alentown pa
10-22-2012, 07:10 PM
In 2004 the 5-8 giants hosted the 12-1 steelers in a battle of rookie QBs...who took the opening Kickoff back 91 yards for a TD?

fansince69
10-22-2012, 07:17 PM
In 2004 the 5-8 giants hosted the 12-1 steelers in a battle of rookie QBs...who took the opening Kickoff back 91 yards for a TD?

willie ponder

zimonami
10-22-2012, 07:49 PM
WTG, 69. You beat me to it.
That was a tough loss to the Steelers,
Ben was on his way that year to getting the early accolades in the Ben, Rivers, Eli comparisons.

zimonami
10-22-2012, 07:50 PM
my props to my fellow fans.. I wasn't even a Gmen fan back then.
Back when??
The last reference was to the recent Eagles game. You became a Gman fan since then?
lmao..I know that's not what you mean

fansince69
10-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Ben was on his way that year to getting the early accolades in the Ben, Rivers, Eli comparisons.

honestly it was an educated guess....i knew dixon was gone by then and he was about only choice I could think of lol

alentown pa
10-22-2012, 07:51 PM
willie ponder

yup..good job man

jomo
10-22-2012, 07:53 PM
I like to use this forum to bring up interesting topics about our next oponent. Here's a layup for the old timers and probably a stumper for those under 35 years old. The Cowboys had a wide receiver with the nick named "Bullet Bob." What was his real name? What position did he play? What other sport did he excel in?

alentown pa
10-22-2012, 07:53 PM

I remember that game well, it was a couple days before christmas, on a saturday...Eli was having a rough go up until that game..he was game that day and they almost upset pittsburg, who ended up 15-1 that year...I knew after that game that Eli was going to be very good.

fansince69
10-22-2012, 07:55 PM
The giants once had a promiseing young offensive lineman(center)...he had a car accident early in his career and he never played again...who was he?

alentown pa
I like to use this forum to bring up interesting topics about our next oponent. Here's a layup for the old timers and probably a stumper for those under 35 years old. The Cowboys had a wide receiver with the nick named "Bullet Bob." What was his real name? What position did he play? What other sport did he excel in?

Bob hays I think, no clue what other sport he played...ill guess baseball?

jomo
The giants once had a promiseing young offensive lineman(center)...he had a car accident early in his career and he never played again...who was he?You aren't talking about DL Troy Archer are you?

fansince69
10-22-2012, 07:56 PM
I like to use this forum to bring up interesting topics about our next oponent. Here's a layup for the old timers and probably a stumper for those under 35 years old. The Cowboys had a wide receiver with the nick named "Bullet Bob." What was his real name? What position did he play? What other sport did he excel in?BOB hayes cowboys wide receiver track 100 yard dash

fansince69
10-22-2012, 07:57 PM
You aren't talking about DL Troy Archer are you?

when i wrote this i figured someone would make that mistake ...archer was killed....this guy broke his neck and was an offensive lineman actually played center his one year here

jomo
10-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Bob hays I think, no clue what other sport he played...ill guess baseball?Good job Allentown. The other sport was track and field. He ran the 100 yard dash and was the Olympic gold medal winner. He held the world's record for a while. Unfortunately after football, he did time in prison for a variety of things. He was a true flash in his day.

jomo
10-22-2012, 07:59 PM
BOB hayes cowboys wide receiver track 100 yard dashThat's it!

jomo
10-22-2012, 08:00 PM
when i wrote this i figured someone would make that mistake ...archer was killed....this guy broke his neck and was an offensive lineman actually played center his one year hereI don't even have a vague recollection of this which means my age is now working against me! lol

fansince69
10-22-2012, 08:01 PM
That's it!

I still have nitemares of hayes running past our secondary on monday night back in early 70s

fansince69
10-22-2012, 08:02 PM
I don't even have a vague recollection of this which means my age is now working against me! lol

trust me you will kick yourself...cause im sure with your knowledge youll know when i tell you

alentown pa
10-22-2012, 08:06 PM
trust me you will kick yourself...cause im sure with your knowledge youll know when i tell you

kevin belcher?

fansince69
10-22-2012, 08:07 PM
kevin belcher?

good job...after his accident the Giants signed Bart Oates from usfl and the rest is history

zimonami
10-22-2012, 08:10 PM
BOB hayes cowboys wide receiver track 100 yard dash
Olympic Champion in 100m, and of course on the gold medal winning US team in the 4 X 100 relay

alentown pa
10-22-2012, 08:10 PM
good job...after his accident the Giants signed Bart Oates from usfl and the rest is history

I was thinking him or Brien williams, but Williams played in the 90's and played for a couple seasons...I think Belcher played with us in 84 or 85.

fansince69
10-22-2012, 08:13 PM
I was thinking him or Brien williams, but Williams played in the 90's and played for a couple seasons...I think Belcher played with us in 84 or 85.

belcher played in 83-84 car accident before 85 season.......brian williams i think had back problems...he was a number 1 pick from minnesota I think

BigBlueAllDay
10-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Let's kick it up a notch, Giants-Cowboys: Name the longest plays that each franchise has on the other.

fansince69
10-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Let's kick it up a notch, Giants-Cowboys: Name the longest plays that each franchise has on the other.

I know Tony Dorsett has a 99 yard run but that wasn't against the Giants I dont think

jomo
10-22-2012, 08:20 PM
Olympic Champion in 100m, and of course on the gold medal winning US team in the 4 X 100 relayHe certainly knew how to finish a race didn't he?

BigBlueAllDay
10-22-2012, 08:26 PM
I know Tony Dorsett has a 99 yard run but that wasn't against the Giants I dont think

That was against the Vikings in 1983.

fansince69
10-22-2012, 08:27 PM

come on you cant possibly know that off the top of your head

BigBlueAllDay
10-22-2012, 08:29 PM
come on you cant possibly know that off the top of your head

That's not the answer anyway. :)

zimonami
10-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Nice question... tough.
Total guesses... Emmit Smith about an 84 yard run against us.
Homer Jones about an 90 yard reception against the Boys.

zimonami
10-22-2012, 08:31 PM
It was a Monday night game... not unreasonable thyat someone would remember that.
I remember the run, but only that it was Monday night.

fansince69
10-22-2012, 08:32 PM
It was a Monday night game... not unreasonable thyat someone would remember that.
I remember the run, but only that it was Monday night.

the year and the team?.....if he did i tip my hat....i just find it unlikely

for whatever reason I remember the run and nothing more

BigBlueAllDay
10-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Nice question... tough.
Total guesses... Emmit Smith about an 84 yard run against us.
Homer Jones about an 90 yard reception against the Boys.

Nope on both. Homer Jones 98-yard TD pass from Earl Morrall was against the Steelers.
Glad I could stump the legendary zimonami.

fansince69
10-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Nope on both. Homer Jones 98-yard TD pass from Earl Morrall was against the Steelers.

thats before my time i remember jones...im only vaguely aware morral at one point played for giants....I remember him as a unitas back up in early 70s I almost think he was a back up to Bob greisie(sp) of the dolphins in their undefeated season of 72

BigBlueAllDay
10-22-2012, 08:37 PM
the year and the team?.....if he did i tip my hat....i just find it unlikely

for whatever reason I remember the run and nothing more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_kH_9HzFJA

Hint: One of the answers is not too long ago.

fansince69
10-22-2012, 08:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_kH_9HzFJA
whats that for?

jomo
10-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Glad I could stump the legendary zimonami..............now you are just showing off! lol
This question DID NOT take it up a notch, it took it up about 6 notches. I do like it though, especially its connection to our next oponent.

zimonami
10-22-2012, 10:14 PM
TY for the compliment but I am only legendary in my own mind. At 66 I can't remember many facts anymore.
It can't be that our record against Dallas is last years 74 yd. Eli to Cruzzz??
Over 50 years against them and that's it?
I knew the Morrall to Homer pass of 98 yds aginst the steelers. That question has been on here a few times and it was also mentioned when Eli to Cruz got the 99 yarder last year. But I thought Homer also burned Dallas for a 90-93 yarder.

fansince69
10-22-2012, 10:18 PM
TY for the compliment but I am only legendary in my own mind. At 66 I can't remember many facts anymore.
It can't be that our record against Dallas is last years 74 yd. Eli to Cruzzz??
Over 50 years against them and that's it?
I knew the Morrall to Homer pass of 98 yds aginst the steelers. That question has been on here a few times and it was also mentioned when Eli to Cruz got the 99 yarder last year. But I thought Homer also burned Dallas for a 90-93 yarder.

its funny as I get older ...I remember old facts...its more recent ones i struggle with....Like I can remember things from the 70's cant remember stuff from 3-4 years ago

jomo
10-22-2012, 11:52 PM
That's not the answer anyway. :)How long will we have to wait for this answer? Some of us will forget the question if you take much longer to answer it.

fansince69
10-23-2012, 12:03 AM
How long will we have to wait for this answer? Some of us will forget the question if you take much longer to answer it.

what question? lol

jomo
10-23-2012, 12:06 AM
what question? lollol, I think it was "who does Sinorice Moss most remind you of?"

zimonami
10-23-2012, 01:13 PM

And the answers are????

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

fansince69
10-23-2012, 01:30 PM
And the answers are????

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

lol

jomo
10-23-2012, 02:02 PM
lol

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUY5byTzwwz4UNf3SspJMIF8jk47Hmh lreMbQqzTEMlDUIgdR68Q

fansince69
10-23-2012, 02:03 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUY5byTzwwz4UNf3SspJMIF8jk47Hmh lreMbQqzTEMlDUIgdR68Q

at least now i can put a face with your name

jomo
10-23-2012, 04:17 PM
at least now i can put a face with your namelol there may be some resemblance, Zim could tell you.
BigBlueAllDay steps in with a great question then disappears without a trace. That is just wrong!

fansince69
10-23-2012, 04:20 PM
lol there may be some resemblance, Zim could tell you.
BigBlueAllDay steps in with a great question then disappears without a trace. That is just wrong!

yeah not fair i want an answer

BigBlueAllDay
10-23-2012, 05:12 PM

Hi! Sorry for the wait. I was giving other board members a try at it.

Giants-Cowboys: Longest plays in franchise history against each other. Both breaking triple digit yardarge and the same type of play.

Giants: Erich Barnes 102 yard interception return against the Cowboys. October 15, 1961. The Giants had Y.A. Tittle, Pat Summerall, Joe Morrison, Sam Huff, and Alex Webster that year.

Cowboys: More recent. Bryan McCann 101 yard interception return off Eli Manning. November 14, 2010. This was the infamous game where the lights went out at MetLife Stadium during the game and the stadium went dark.

zimonami
10-23-2012, 05:45 PM

Giants-Cowboys: Longest plays in franchise history against each other. Both breaking triple digit yardarge and the same type of play.

Giants: Erich Barnes 102 yard interception return against the Cowboys. October 15, 1961. The Giants had Y.A. Tittle, Pat Summerall, Joe Morrison, Sam Huff, and Alex Webster that year.

Cowboys: More recent. Bryan McCann 101 yard interception return off Eli Manning. November 14, 2010. This was the infamous game where the lights went out at MetLife Stadium during the game and the stadium went dark.
Excellent... Erich Barnes... he was a stud DB.
I choose to forget that, what's his name, returned an Eli pass for 101.
We have them beat by a yard
(God, please don't allow that statement to change, ever)

zimonami
10-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Here's the thing, fansince69... you know those old, portly men who have the long gray hair and beards, and kinda look like Santa Claus???
Bingo!
His name is jomo!!!

jomo
10-23-2012, 05:53 PM

Cowboys: More recent. Bryan McCann 101 yard interception return off Eli Manning. November 14, 2010. This was the infamous game where the lights went out at MetLife Stadium during the game and the stadium went dark.That is awesome. I remember Barnes well and I remember a 100+ yard interception but wouldn't have connected it to the Cowboys. Bryan McCann? I don't even recognize the name. Great question BBAD!

jomo
10-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Here's the thing, fansince69... you know those old, portly men who have the long gray hair and beards, and kinda look like Santa Claus???
Bingo!
His name is jomo!!!ROTFL I told you Zim would give me up!

fansince69
10-23-2012, 06:03 PM
ROTFL I told you Zim would give me up!

i have beard and if i let it go for a month or so like all winter...thats exactly what i look like and im being serious

zimonami
11-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Wake up people.
There was a Joe Willie sighting in another thread... made me think of this one... non Giant related
In SB III, the Jets were 17/29 in passing.
Joe Willie was 17/28.
Who threw the (1) incomplete pass?

alentown pa
11-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Wake up people.
There was a Joe Willie sighting in another thread... made me think of this one... non Giant related
In SB III, the Jets were 17/29 in passing.
Joe Willie was 17/28.
Who threw the (1) incomplete pass?

was it that fullback i think he was number 41...snell or something?

jomo
11-20-2012, 09:33 PM
was it that fullback i think he was number 41...snell or something?I think it was the back-up QB Babe Parilli but I loved Matt Snell.

zimonami
11-20-2012, 09:44 PM
I think it was the back-up QB Babe Parilli but I loved Matt Snell.
Yep, Babe.
Snell was easily the MVP. Snell, Boozer, Lammons, Maynard, Sauer... plenty of weapons on that offense, and a great OLine.

Astorian
11-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Are you sure Barnes's 102-yard interception return was against Dallas? My memory sees it against the Eagles, in Philly. I also see it in 1962, not 1961.

zimonami
11-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Are you sure Barnes's 102-yard interception return was against Dallas? My memory sees it against the Eagles, in Philly. I also see it in 1962, not 1961.

Here's Wiki... Erich (pronounced Ee-Rich) Theodore Barnes (born July 4, 1935) was an American football (http://boards.giants.com/wiki/American_football) defensive back (http://boards.giants.com/wiki/Defensive_back) in the National Football League (http://boards.giants.com/wiki/National_Football_League). He was a six-time Pro Bowler (http://boards.giants.com/wiki/Pro_Bowls). Before the NFL, he was an outstanding all-around athlete at Purdue University (http://boards.giants.com/wiki/Purdue_University) (1956–58). Barnes was drafted (http://boards.giants.com/wiki/NFL_draft) fourth by the Bears (http://boards.giants.com/wiki/Chicago_Bears) in the 1958 NFL Draft (http://boards.giants.com/wiki/1958_NFL_Draft) and traded to the Giants (http://boards.giants.com/wiki/New_York_Giants) in 1961. He tied an NFL record in his first season with the Giants by intercepting a pass against the Cowboys (http://boards.giants.com/wiki/Dallas_Cowboys) and returning it 102 yards for a touchdown (http://boards.giants.com/wiki/Touchdown).

jomo
11-21-2012, 07:51 AM
Here's Wiki... Erich (pronounced Ee-Rich) Theodore Barnes (born July 4, 1935) was an American football (http://boards.giants.com/wiki/American_football) defensive back (http://boards.giants.com/wiki/Defensive_back) in the National Football League (http://boards.giants.com/wiki/National_Football_League). He was a six-time Pro Bowler (http://boards.giants.com/wiki/Pro_Bowls). Before the NFL, he was an outstanding all-around athlete at Purdue University (http://boards.giants.com/wiki/Purdue_University) (195658). Barnes was drafted (http://boards.giants.com/wiki/NFL_draft) fourth by the Bears (http://boards.giants.com/wiki/Chicago_Bears) in the 1958 NFL Draft (http://boards.giants.com/wiki/1958_NFL_Draft) and traded to the Giants (http://boards.giants.com/wiki/New_York_Giants) in 1961. He tied an NFL record in his first season with the Giants by intercepting a pass against the Cowboys (http://boards.giants.com/wiki/Dallas_Cowboys) and returning it 102 yards for a touchdown (http://boards.giants.com/wiki/Touchdown).One of the Giants broadcasters pronounced it Eric though we all know the correct pronunciation was EE-Rich. I think it might have been Marty Glickman. Maybe he did it for a year before getting it right. I remember the pick six and I remember 102 yards, I just don't remember the oponent. Thanks for nailing that down Zim.

Astorian
11-21-2012, 09:30 PM
One of the Giants broadcasters pronounced it Eric though we all know the correct pronunciation was EE-Rich. I think it might have been Marty Glickman. Maybe he did it for a year before getting it right. I remember the pick six and I remember 102 yards, I just don't remember the oponent. Thanks for nailing that down Zim.

I doubt that Marty Glickman mispronounced 'Erich'; he was one of the most professional radio announcers of all time. It was probably Chris Schenkel. He was somewhat gaffe-prone. For instance, he often referred to Alex Webster as 'Alec'.

I don't like to butt heads with Wikipedia, but they're not always correct. I still think it was against the Eagles in '62. I remember the play very well. Erich caught the ball in the corner of the end zone and ran it out along the far sideline, from right to left, from the point of view of the TV screen. He stayed on the sideline until he reached the goal line. Giants' home games were blacked out in those days, so it had to be a road game. I may be hallucinating, but my mind's eye sees Philadelphia, not Dallas.

jomo
11-21-2012, 09:46 PM
I doubt that Marty Glickman mispronounced 'Erich'; he was one of the most professional radio announcers of all time. It was probably Chris Schenkel. He was somewhat gaffe-prone. For instance, he often referred to Alex Webster as 'Alec'.

I don't like to butt heads with Wikipedia, but they're not always correct. I still think it was against the Eagles in '62. I remember the play very well. Erich caught the ball in the corner of the end zone and ran it out along the far sideline, from right to left, from the point of view of the TV screen. He stayed on the sideline until he reached the goal line. Giants' home games were blacked out in those days, so it had to be a road game. I may be hallucinating, but my mind's eye sees Philadelphia, not Dallas.You are right, Glickman was such a pro it probably wasn't him.

zimonami
11-21-2012, 09:51 PM

I don't like to butt heads with Wikipedia, but they're not always correct. I still think it was against the Eagles in '62. I remember the play very well. Erich caught the ball in the corner of the end zone and ran it out along the far sideline, from right to left, from the point of view of the TV screen. He stayed on the sideline until he reached the goal line. Giants' home games were blacked out in those days, so it had to be a road game. I may be hallucinating, but my mind's eye sees Philadelphia, not Dallas.
You're right about Wiki... so, I went to Pro Football Reference.com for the '61 season and the box score for the Dallas game shows Erich with the 102 yd. Int.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/196110150dal.htm

I went to the '61 and '62 Eagle games box scores and there were no pick sixes by Erich.
50 years ago... no big deal that you remembered the wrong team.

Astorian
11-21-2012, 10:26 PM
You're right about Wiki... so, I went to Pro Football Reference.com for the '61 season and the box score for the Dallas game shows Erich with the 102 yd. Int.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/196110150dal.htm

I went to the '61 and '62 Eagle games box scores and there were no pick sixes by Erich.
50 years ago... no big deal that you remembered the wrong team.

OK, I concede. Great research! I'll have to reset my memory bank.

zimonami
11-21-2012, 10:32 PM
OK, I concede. Great research! I'll have to reset my memory bank.
Keep coming around... too bad you weren't on these boards longer... your memory going back that far is appreciated.

YATittle1962
11-22-2012, 12:19 AM
makes me smile when I see this thread pop up

last game of the 1986 regular season.....

Giants put up 55 on the Packers

Simms connected with 8 different targets during that game

name them

zimonami
11-22-2012, 12:46 AM
makes me smile when I see this thread pop up

last game of the 1986 regular season.....

Giants put up 55 on the Packers

Simms connected with 8 different targets during that game

name them
Mowatt, Bavaro, Robinson, Johnson, Carthon, Galbreath, McConkey and Morris

keyofgmen
11-22-2012, 07:45 AM
Mowatt, Bavaro, Robinson, Johnson, Carthon, Galbreath, McConkey and Morris

Nice Zim...
I was at the game and the NFC championship (missed the Niner's game). That season still has a special spot in Giant lore for me. Still say my greatest game I was ever at was the NFC Championship Skins game. I still feel the wind and still swim in the sea of confetti!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all DYK crew!

zimonami
11-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Nice Zim...
I was at the game and the NFC championship (missed the Niner's game). That season still has a special spot in Giant lore for me. Still say my greatest game I was ever at was the NFC Championship Skins game. I still feel the wind and still swim in the sea of confetti!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all DYK crew!
YA hasn't confirmed... I could have 1 or 2 wrong.
The Washington victory in the wind was one og our all-time thrills, although my goal that post season was to beat Chicago... payback for '85.

Happy Thanksgiving, Key... and a Happy Thanksgiving to all you DYKites.

jomo
12-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Which current Giant player attended high school with golf pro Bubba Watson?

jomo
12-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Which current Giant player attended high school with golf pro Bubba Watson?Alright, I'll start with the hints..........it was not Eli. Who was it?

jomo
12-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Alright, I'll start with the hints..........it was not Eli. Who was it?Second clue, they went to high school in Florida.

zimonami
12-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Second clue, they went to high school in Florida.
Bubba's in his mid 30's. Has to be one of our oldest guys. I think Tynes is the oldest Giant

jomo
12-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Bubba's in his mid 30's. Has to be one of our oldest guys. I think Tynes is the oldest GiantThat's it Zim! Tynes and Bubba Watson went to high school together in Florida. I didn't realize that Tynes was 34 years old. I would have pegged him at around 30.

zimonami
12-01-2012, 09:49 PM
That's it Zim! Tynes and Bubba Watson went to high school together in Florida. I didn't realize that Tynes was 34 years old. I would have pegged him at around 30.
He kicked around with KC, then NFL Europe and Canadian ball before kicking for KC in 04, 05, and 06, and then came to us in 07... so, he's been around the block.
And, I'm no freakin genius. I knew Tynes was our oldest player, so I looked him up and he grew up in FL, like in your clue.

BigBlueAllDay
12-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Looking ahead to the Giants vs. Redskins game.

Name the longest plays each franchise has on the other.

Good Luck!

zimonami
12-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Looking ahead to the Giants vs. Redskins game.

Name the longest plays each franchise has on the other.

Good Luck!
Wow... that's a tough one... no way for me to answer that without research.

BigBlueAllDay
12-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Wow... that's a tough one... no way for me to answer that without research.

That's perfectly fine. The answers aren't that easy to find. :p

alentown pa
12-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Looking ahead to the Giants vs. Redskins game.Name the longest plays each franchise has on the other. Good Luck!2010 mannigham had a 85 yard td something in that range in the season finaleNo clue what the answer is for the skins part of the question

BigBlueAllDay
12-01-2012, 11:12 PM
2010 mannigham had a 85 yard td something in that range in the season finaleNo clue what the answer is for the skins part of the question

Eli Manning to Manningham for a 92 yard TD is a recent and honorable mention but not the longest play for the Giants against the Redskins. Very good try. I'll post the answers tomorrow night to allow more people to have a shot at it.

zimonami
12-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Eli Manning to Manningham for a 92 yard TD is a recent and honorable mention but not the longest play for the Giants against the Redskins. Very good try. I'll post the answers tomorrow night to allow more people to have a shot at it.
I'll hold off my research in case someone else knows without lookig it up. Even 92 yds isn't good enough? Sounds like it's one of those Earl Morrell or Fran Tarkenton to Homer Jones answers.

Broadway Blue
12-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Billy Kilmer to Frank Grant for a 96 yard TD in 1975 for the Redskins also a Jimmy Pattonn 98 yard kickoff return TD in 1955 for the Giants?

L.T.56
12-02-2012, 03:17 AM
manning to cruz last year vs. jets. 99 yard touchdown pass.

L.T.56
12-02-2012, 03:19 AM
never mind just saw the question was between giants and redskins

jomo
12-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Didn't the TD pass from Eli to Cruz earlier in the year go for 126 yards?? It sure fel like it. ;)

BigBlueAllDay
12-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Billy Kilmer to Frank Grant for a 96 yard TD in 1975 for the Redskins also a Jimmy Pattonn 98 yard kickoff return TD in 1955 for the Giants?

Winner! Congrats!

jomo
12-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Those of a certain age will know this immediately, but it is a classic enough quote to reference here with the Skins game upon us..

At a holiday gala in Washingtom, a Redskin player was quoted as saying to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor: ''Come on, Sandy baby, loosen up. You're too tight.'' Who was this player?

Dwinsballgames
12-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Those of a certain age will know this immediately, but it is a classic enough quote to reference here with the Skins game upon us..

At a holiday gala in Washingtom, a Redskin player was quoted as saying to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor: ''Come on, Sandy baby, loosen up. You're too tight.'' Who was this player?

Had to be Riggins

jomo
12-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Had to be RigginsThat's it, Riggins was always a little outrageous and bombastic. He also never turned down an adult beverage.

zimonami
12-02-2012, 12:38 PM
That's it, Riggins was always a little outrageous and bombastic. He also never turned down an adult beverage.
you didn't mention that Riggo had had a few adult drinks under his belt the night he chastised Sandra. :)
He was a tough SOB.

YATittle1962
12-02-2012, 01:39 PM

ha too funny

I remember this well

as much as I hated the skins I always liked Riggo

I remember watching him play as a jet and thinking ........what the hell are they doing using this guy as a blocker

Harooni
12-02-2012, 02:17 PM
YA why are you closing giant discussion threads? if its giants related like eli vs simms. why would that have to be closed?

thanks harooni

YATittle1962
12-02-2012, 05:53 PM
YA why are you closing giant discussion threads? if its giants related like eli vs simms. why would that have to be closed?

thanks harooni

I have not closed a thread in weeks

barking up the wrong tree big guy

jomo
12-02-2012, 06:41 PM
I have not closed a thread in weeks

barking up the wrong tree big guyI always say, it's bettter to be barked at (even without cause) than to be totally ignored. ;)

And by the way, that locked thread regarding Gilbride talking to Boston College was from an article in the Washington Post in December of 2009!

I don't mind the post being locked but the mod should make a final entry explaining why it's been locked. That wouldn't leave us wondering why.

YATittle1962
12-02-2012, 09:06 PM
I always say, it's bettter to be barked at (even without cause) than to be totally ignored. ;)

And by the way, that locked thread regarding Gilbride talking to Boston College was from an article in the Washington Post in December of 2009!

I don't mind the post being locked but the mod should make a final entry explaining why it's been locked. That wouldn't leave us wondering why.

maybe Roa locked it

wasn't me

Astorian
12-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Winner! Congrats!

Maybe my memory is misfiring again, but I thought Patton's 98-yard kickoff return was in 1953, not '55. As I recall, the Skins were leading the division at 4-0. We won because Emlen the Gremlin intercepted a Skins' pass in the end zone; Patton ran back a punt for a TD in addition to the kickoff; and Alex Webster slithered on his belly through the mud from the 5-yard line for another score (those were the days when a runner was not considered down until his forward progress was stopped -- crawling was allowed, and piling on was therefore normal.

BigBlueAllDay
12-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Maybe my memory is misfiring again, but I thought Patton's 98-yard kickoff return was in 1953, not '55. As I recall, the Skins were leading the division at 4-0. We won because Emlen the Gremlin intercepted a Skins' pass in the end zone; Patton ran back a punt for a TD in addition to the kickoff; and Alex Webster slithered on his belly through the mud from the 5-yard line for another score (those were the days when a runner was not considered down until his forward progress was stopped -- crawling was allowed, and piling on was therefore normal.

Even more amazing, you actually saw the game.
My sources are saying it's 1955. You're correct with the kickoff TD and punt return TD in the same game and he's the first player NFL in history to do that. His 98 yard kickoff return for a TD is the longest in Giants history by 1 yard over Ron Dixon's two 97-yard kickoff returns in the 2000 season playoffs. He's No. 33 of the 50 Greatest Giants in franchise history as per ESPN and is second in interceptions in franchise history with 52. His life was tragically cut short due to a car accident.

http://espn.go.com/newyork/photos/gallery/_/id/6882671/image/19/33-jimmy-patton-db-50-greatest-giants-photo-gallery

Broadway Blue
12-03-2012, 08:20 PM

Mad respect for a long time Giants fan!

zimonami
12-03-2012, 11:53 PM
good stuff, Astorian... great memory. Loved the old RB's crawling... The QB's also used to get hit 1-2 seconds after releasing the ball.

zimonami
01-03-2013, 07:32 PM
wow... no one came here to wish a Merry, or a Happy. Has our poor site lost its appeal?
I didn't see this on the board today, although it must have been noted somewhere.
A quickie... whose B'Day is it today, and how old is he?

fansince69
01-03-2013, 07:45 PM
wow... no one came here to wish a Merry, or a Happy. Has our poor site lost its appeal?
I didn't see this on the board today, although it must have been noted somewhere.
A quickie... whose B'Day is it today, and how old is he? eli 32 I think

zimonami
01-03-2013, 09:55 PM
eli 32 I think
Right on.

fansince69
01-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Right on.yeah ...that was a tough one lol....I don't have the ambition to think of a worthy question....go ahead zim post another....

keyofgmen
01-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Just heard this on Sirius...

5 QBs started season as back-ups and went on to win the SB that year...name them... (could be 6 if Kaperdoodle wins) ??

Hint..2 of them involve Giants

BigBlueAllDay
01-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Just heard this on Sirius...

5 QBs started season as back-ups and went on to win the SB that year...name them... (could be 6 if Kaperdoodle wins) ??

All Giants fans should know at least one of them. :cool:

jomo
01-26-2013, 01:41 PM
All Giants fans should know at least one of them. :cool:Well of course Hostettler would be one. I guess George Blanda would be two.

jomo
01-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Well of course Hostettler would be one. I guess George Blanda would be two.Would Craig Morton be one of them and did Bradshaw come off the bench in his first SB?I guess I'm gonna try to get all of them. I think Earl Morral came off the bench for Unitas. The last one might have been Kilmer. Let me recap my six.

Hostettler
Blanda
Craig Morton
Terry Bradshaw?
Earl Morrall
Billy Killmer

I am sure that a couple of them are wrong

keyofgmen
01-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Would Craig Morton be one of them and did Bradshaw come off the bench in his first SB?I guess I'm gonna try to get all of them. I think Earl Morral came off the bench for Unitas. The last one might have been Kilmer. Let me recap my six.

Hostettler
Blanda
Craig Morton
Terry Bradshaw?
Earl Morrall
Billy Killmer

Only 1 correct Jomo...the obvious one!

BigBlueAllDay
01-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Only 1 correct Jomo...the obvious one!

There's another obvious one that everyone should know. I just can't name all 5 off the top of my head.

Jomo was also correct with another person on his list besides Jeff Hostetler.

keyofgmen
01-26-2013, 02:22 PM
There's another obvious one that everyone should know. I just can't name all 5 off the top of my head.

Jomo was also correct with another person on his list besides Jeff Hostetler.

BBAD..who is that? According to what I heard, I have 4 others, but none are on Jomo's list. MAybe there are more than 5? That would be amazing really.

keyofgmen
01-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Would Craig Morton be one of them and did Bradshaw come off the bench in his first SB?I guess I'm gonna try to get all of them. I think Earl Morral came off the bench for Unitas. The last one might have been Kilmer. Let me recap my six.

Hostettler
Blanda
Craig Morton
Terry Bradshaw?
Earl Morrall
Billy Killmer

While Morrall did come in, Unitas started and threw only TD pass for Colts, so not sure that counts??

BigBlueAllDay
01-26-2013, 02:48 PM
While Morrall did come in, Unitas started and threw only TD pass for Colts, so not sure that counts??

Okay, forget about Earl Morrall then... The other obvious one I was referring to is NFL's golden boy that the Giants love to beat.

jomo
01-26-2013, 03:10 PM
Only 1 correct Jomo...the obvious one!So you're saying I have room for improvement? lol
I guess the golden boy is Brady coming in for Bledsoe? That still leaves me 4 short.

keyofgmen
01-26-2013, 03:12 PM
So you're saying I have room for improvement? lol
I guess the golden boy is Brady coming in for Bledsoe? That still leaves me 4 short.

Even the great ones have room for improvement! lol
you have 2 of 5
Brady and Hoss
So only 3 to go!

jomo
01-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Even the great ones have room for improvement! lol
you have 2 of 5
Brady and Hoss
So only 3 to go!How about Jim Plunkett in his first SB win??

keyofgmen
01-26-2013, 03:21 PM
How about Jim Plunkett in his first SB win??

That's 3!

Astorian
01-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Didn't the Redskins beat Denver in 1987 with their backup? UnfortunatelyI can't think of his name.

keyofgmen
01-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Didn't the Redskins beat Denver in 1987 with their backup? UnfortunatelyI can't think of his name.

YUP.. Hint:...history for another reason also...

Astorian
01-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Was Dettmer a backup in 2000?

Astorian
01-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Right. He was the first Black.

keyofgmen
01-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Right. He was the first Black.
Name him..get to 4 of the 5

Astorian
01-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Doug Williams.

Astorian
01-26-2013, 03:43 PM
I should have said Dilfer, not Dettmer. But I don't know whether he was a backup.

Astorian
01-26-2013, 03:44 PM
How about Young in 95?

keyofgmen
01-26-2013, 03:53 PM
How about Young in 95?

Nope, but you got #5 in the previous post..Dilfer (the 2nd Giant related one)

Brady after Bledsoe
Williams after Schroeder
Plunkett after Pastorini
Dilfer after Banks
And of course Hostetler after Simms

zimonami
02-14-2013, 07:37 PM
What year did the Giants last draft a LB in the first round?
Since that year, how many 2nd round LBs have the Giants drafted?

With all that we need, I'm still jonesing for s stud LB.

BigBlueAllDay
02-14-2013, 07:58 PM
What year did the Giants last draft a LB in the first round?
Since that year, how many 2nd round LBs have the Giants drafted?

With all that we need, I'm still jonesing for s stud LB.

I'm going to let others answer. I just want to say Clint Sintim LB was a 2nd round bust like Sinorice Moss. Talk about invisible people...

zimonami
02-14-2013, 08:19 PM
I'm going to let others answer. I just want to say Clint Sintim LB was a 2nd round bust like Sinorice Moss. Talk about invisible people...
You're right... Sintim has been a non-entity.
He's the most recent 2nd Rnd LB pick...
How many years back to the next #2?

BigBlueAllDay
02-14-2013, 09:38 PM
You're right... Sintim has been a non-entity.
He's the most recent 2nd Rnd LB pick...
How many years back to the next #2?

Wouldn't know that off the top of my head. I just don't recall the Giants drafting any LBs in the first and second rounds (besides Sintim) in the last 15 years just from going through memory that includes the Shockey's, Will Allen's, Ron Dayne's. Everyone should also know that the greatest Giants player in history, Lawrence Taylor was a first rounder, but not the latest Giants first round LBer.

zimonami
02-14-2013, 10:15 PM
Wouldn't know that off the top of my head. I just don't recall the Giants drafting any LBs in the first and second rounds (besides Sintim) in the last 15 years just from going through memory that includes the Shockey's, Will Allen's, Ron Dayne's. Everyone should also know that the greatest Giants player in history, Lawrence Taylor was a first rounder, but not the latest Giants first round LBer.

You're right... more than 15 yrs to the next #2
And, right that there's been a #1 since LT.
There's no sin in looking it up if you give some others a chance to answer.
Of course, this thread has been ignored recently, so don't hold your breath...
maybe we'll get another warm body to chime in.

I posted the answer to this yesterday in, Asian Giant for head Coach"

SEC105
02-14-2013, 10:24 PM
Hey GANG....how's everybody doing???
Who is this Giant running back?
http://img.spokeo.com/public/900-600/joe_scarpati_1969_11_02.jpg

gmen0820
02-14-2013, 11:12 PM
Back in TAGF, I see.

YATittle1962
02-14-2013, 11:19 PM
Hey GANG....how's everybody doing???
Who is this Giant running back?
http://img.spokeo.com/public/900-600/joe_scarpati_1969_11_02.jpg

Ernie Koy

name all the Baby Bulls

SEC105
02-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Back in TAGF, I see.
Yeh gmen0820..... how you been?......been pretty hectic the last 6 months but good to see the DYK thread is still kicking

ny06
02-14-2013, 11:27 PM
Ernie Koy

name all the Baby Bulls
The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Tucker Frederickson.

SEC105
02-14-2013, 11:32 PM
Ernie Koy

name all the Baby Bulls
Hey http://img.fanbase.com/media.fanbase.com/8/21098/0404b4cb6d9c6963641fb60be997908d6a9f2857.jpg?x=200&y=240&sig=56c21d0fd8dea7706f5dd07789cd4e04YA good to see you I'll start with this guy [baby bull]..........who is it? and yes thats Ernie Koy nice job not that i'm surprised
oh and YA for you and me this past Oct 28 was the 50th anniversary of what legendary Giant game game [wink wink]

gmen0820
02-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Yeh gmen0820..... how you been?......been pretty hectic the last 6 months but good to see the DYK thread is still kickingSeeing as though YA is a mod on here, he'll make sure this thread get's past the spring cleaning ones, like a corrupt politician would make sure a mobster's activities go unnoticed. I guess you could call this...a "Made Thread." ;)

SEC105
02-14-2013, 11:36 PM
The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Tucker Frederickson.
Tucker Fre****son is definitley [sp] one how's everything going NY06 did you make your work transfer back to the tristate from fla.

ny06
02-14-2013, 11:42 PM
Tucker Fre****son is definitley [sp] one how's everything going NY06 did you make your work transfer back to the tristate from fla.
Hey whats up SEC, good to see you posting again. How you been? Yes thanks got my transfer this January and getting accustomed to the cold again.
It feels good to be back in NY though.

As for your question, I believe that is YA's 6 touchdown game..

SEC105
02-14-2013, 11:49 PM
Seeing as though YA is a mod on here, he'll make sure this thread get's past the spring cleaning ones, like a corrupt politician would make sure a mobster's activities go unnoticed. I guess you could call this...a "Made Thread." ;)
Well.........somebody's got to take out the "Carlo's" of this message board ...........but all in all....we are are a peaceful bunch LOL
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BMnpI3Aekq0/T8M2bN7bObI/AAAAAAAAAfk/PXlQfgnPEQ8/s1600/Sonny+Corleone+Beats+the+Piss+Out+of+Carlo.jpg

gmen0820
02-14-2013, 11:53 PM
Well.........somebody's got to take out the "Carlo's" of this message board ...........but all in all....we are are a peaceful bunch LOL
Now I'm trying to think if that's the punch that was a foot in front of Carlo's face, but still (somehow! lol) managed to knock him out.

SEC105
02-14-2013, 11:59 PM
Hey whats up SEC, good to see you posting again. How you been? Yes thanks got my transfer this January and getting accustomed to the cold again.
It feels good to be back in NY though.

As for your question, I believe that is YA's 6 touchdown game..
Good to see you too my friend congrats on the transfer I knew you really wanted to get back here hope it all works out great for you.........I'm sure you will trade a blizzard or 2 for those creepy giant snakes down in fla jk
yes that was 7 passing TD's in one game for Y.A. Oct 28 1962 NY Giants 49 Washington Redskins 34 Mod YA's and mine first ever game @ Yankee Stadium

zimonami
02-15-2013, 01:24 AM
Chuck Mercein, Steve Thurlow, and Ernie Wheelwright were our RB's along with Tucker Fredrickson and Ernie Koy

OMG, the SEC105... the NYGMB's most dashing member... geezuz, it is great to see you SEC... and, you brought others back from the grave to our old thread... hahahahaha, yes, a "Made" thread., gmen.
NY06 and YA, too. dang, lot's of smiles tonite. Great to see you all.
Even Key made a visit a few weeks back.
So, who was our last #1 LBer drafted?

zimonami
02-15-2013, 01:44 AM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/46415_144969698876253_2045288_n.jpg

PennState1
02-15-2013, 03:21 AM
Friggin ugly crew!!

YATittle1962
02-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Hey http://img.fanbase.com/media.fanbase.com/8/21098/0404b4cb6d9c6963641fb60be997908d6a9f2857.jpg?x=200&y=240&sig=56c21d0fd8dea7706f5dd07789cd4e04YA good to see you I'll start with this guy [baby bull]..........who is it? and yes thats Ernie Koy nice job not that i'm surprised
oh and YA for you and me this past Oct 28 was the 50th anniversary of what legendary Giant game game [wink wink]

thats Thurlow for sure

50 friggin years

wow

boy am I old....I swear I remember it as if I was an adult sitting in those stands

can't believe we were both at that game....such a special day

YATittle1962
02-17-2013, 11:45 AM
Chuck Mercein, Steve Thurlow, and Ernie Wheelwright were our RB's along with Tucker Fredrickson and Ernie Koy

OMG, the SEC105... the NYGMB's most dashing member... geezuz, it is great to see you SEC... and, you brought others back from the grave to our old thread... hahahahaha, yes, a "Made" thread., gmen.

does feel like a nice little reunion in here

it gives me a warm feeling seeing all you guys throwing out questions

...and yes Zim....remember all those RBs?....
even though the team was not great ...those were great times to be a fan
a few of those guys could have been very special if not for injuries .

Keith Hamilton played for how many head coaches in the NFL?

...and which one moved him from DE to DT ?

fansince69
02-17-2013, 11:53 AM
does feel like a nice little reunion in here

it gives me a warm feeling seeing all you guys throwing out questions

...and yes Zim....remember all those RBs?....
even though the team was not great ...those were great times to be a fan
a few of those guys could have been very special if not for injuries .

Keith Hamilton played for how many head coaches in the NFL?

...and which one moved him from DE to DT ? going to guess 3 ..Handly...Reeves and Fassel my guess would be Reeves switched him

keyofgmen
02-17-2013, 12:02 PM

Any LBs drafted #1 since Banks? Can't think of one...

byron
02-17-2013, 12:09 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/46415_144969698876253_2045288_n.jpg hey everybody hope all is well good to see ya Sec ......let me guess from left to right Rob Carpenter,extra guess on this young fellow Keyofgmen ,Zim and Sec....how did I do ?

edit , Ya taking pic ...

keyofgmen
02-17-2013, 12:15 PM
hey everybody hope all is well good to see ya Sec ......let me guess from left to right Rob Carpenter,extra guess on this young fellow Keyofgmen ,Zim and Sec....how did I do ?

HAHA..My ole hair is as white as the Manning Jersey! Maybe someday I'll show up in a DYK photo, but not this one...

byron
02-17-2013, 12:24 PM
HAHA..My ole hair is as white as the Manning Jersey! Maybe someday I'll show up in a DYK photo, but not this one... haha well you ain't alone Key got some white going on myself....good to see the thread come to life a little ...I would love to see the giants pick up a fast LB...

keyofgmen
02-17-2013, 12:32 PM
going to guess 3 ..Handly...Reeves and Fassel my guess would be Reeves switched him

Sounds right. Who was D Coordinator at that time?

fansince69
02-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Sounds right. Who was D Coordinator at that time?Nolan? fox? not sure

YATittle1962
02-17-2013, 12:45 PM
going to guess 3 ..Handly...Reeves and Fassel my guess would be Reeves switched him

yes Reeves moved him to DT after a couple less productive seasons at DE

yes 3 head coaches ...and those are the correct 3

@ key.....Nolan was the DC at the time

fansince69
02-17-2013, 12:51 PM
yes Reeves moved him to DT after a couple less productive seasons at DE

yes 3 head coaches ...and those are the correct 3

@ key.....Nolan was the DC at the timeI cant think of a worthy question...YA if you have another....ask...

YATittle1962
02-17-2013, 12:52 PM
in the 1993 season playoff game in SF.....what 49er put 5 TDs on the Giants defense ?

and what NFL Network analyst picked off Simms that day ?

fansince69
02-17-2013, 01:00 PM
in the 1993 season playoff game in SF.....what 49er put 5 TDs on the Giants defense ?

and what NFL Network analyst picked off Simms that day ?Ricky Waiters....don't remember the interception

fansince69
02-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Ricky Waiters....don't remember the interceptionmaybe deion?

keyofgmen
02-17-2013, 01:02 PM

That's one of those games that my mind has erased to keep the agony low! I do remember R Waters though...

YATittle1962
02-17-2013, 01:06 PM
maybe deion?

wasn't Prime....not sure he was there yet

Broadway Blue
02-17-2013, 01:12 PM
wasn't Prime....not sure he was there yet

Eric Davis?

keyofgmen
02-17-2013, 01:13 PM

I went to check on that game and found name of INT guy, but won't spill it since I looked. I wanted to see what the heck happened. Total yards 194 and only 41 rushing. Hampton had only 12! The week before he had 161 vs Vikes. I don't remember...was he injured during game? He had only 7 carries.

ny06
02-17-2013, 01:15 PM
That's one of those games that my mind has erased to keep the agony low! I do remember R Waters though...
That game still makes me sick thinking of it. That was the last game for LT and Phil Simms.
Speaking of that game, what did LT ask for at the end of the game?

keyofgmen
02-17-2013, 01:20 PM
That game still makes me sick thinking of it. That was the last game for LT and Phil Simms.
Speaking of that game, what did LT ask for at the end of the game?

The Refs flag or whistle, I think....

ny06
02-17-2013, 01:26 PM
The Refs flag or whistle, I think....
Correct. He received the flag.

zimonami
02-17-2013, 01:36 PM
hey everybody hope all is well good to see ya Sec ......let me guess from left to right Rob Carpenter,extra guess on this young fellow Keyofgmen ,Zim and Sec....how did I do ?

edit , Ya taking pic ...

Good guesses, byron. The big guy in back, left is my son. All the other guesses are correct. Brought him to his 1st game at the new stadium in '76 when he was 8. He has been as large as 425 lbs. (yeah, I know). His HS coach hated him because he had 'slow feet'. He'd go on and on about how slow David's feet were. Yep, he was 280 as a senior and there were 220# DL's that would zip right by him... Woulda kinda reminded you of current day Diehl... lol.
Yes, Banks was our last #1 in '84. We took Kanavis McGee #2 in '92, and the only other #1 or #2 was Sintim in '09. Kanavis wasn't exactly a household name, and Sintim has been just as invisible. I'd sure love another worthy #1, although I know we have more needs at other positions... but, what does it say about us that we have totally average LB's, yet we need help more at other positions? OL, DL, and DB's are all hurting for quality starters and depth. I guess we could live with our current average LB's for awhile.

A "Made" thread? LMAO... yeah, YA has quietly enabled DYK to survive on life support. Otherwise we never would have made it to 1,249 pages.
It has been too quiet for some time, but every once in a while we feed the old man viagra and DYK perks up... like today.
RBCarpenter hasn't been on in over a year because he says his computer is stuck on his old credentials, which GMB's doesn't recognize. Says he can't create a new ID. Sounds crazy. I'll tell him to try again.

That '93 loss was brutal. I disliked Ricky Watters in the same way I hated T.O.
What did LT ask for after his last game? Wow, good question. The answer is buried in a dungeon in my brain.

keyofgmen
02-17-2013, 02:51 PM
OK..so we know last 2 LBers drafted in 1st round, Banks and Taylor. DYK there are only 2 others in Giants history?

Who are they?

fansince69
02-17-2013, 02:52 PM
OK..so we know last 2 LBers drafted in 1st round, Banks and Taylor. DYK there are only 2 others in Giants history?

Who are they?harry carson

fansince69
02-17-2013, 02:53 PM
harry carsonalthough he was a DE coming out of SC so not sure that counts

fansince69
02-17-2013, 02:56 PM
although he was a DE coming out of SC so not sure that countswow never mind he was a 4th round pick...im amazed

fansince69
02-17-2013, 02:56 PM
wow never mind he was a 4th round pick...im amazed...I almost think Jim files was a 1st round pick but I was pretty young so hard to remember

keyofgmen
02-17-2013, 02:58 PM
...I almost think Jim files was a 1st round pick but I was pretty young so hard to remember

That's one.

fansince69
02-17-2013, 03:01 PM
That's one.I looked the other one up...there are maybe 3 people on this board that might know it without looking it up

jints10
02-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Sam Huff