PDA

View Full Version : DID YOU KNOW??

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54

Morehead State
06-13-2013, 07:27 PM
Homer Jones?
Absolutely correct.

zimonami
06-13-2013, 08:42 PM
I remember McConkey doing that on the flea flicker when he came up short in the Super Bowl. I remember LT doing something like that on a play near the sidelines when they tackled somebody for a loss and he would do that shooting of the pistols move. And I remember LT jumping on George Martin ( the DE, not the Beatles producer) after he ran back an int for a TD vs Elway.

But that may be all I remember these days.Yes... what a skewed memory I have... it WAS the McConkey near TD in Supe XX1. Why did I put LT's face on thyat? Only old memory can be the answer.I was at the Denver game where Martin Int'd and ran it to the house. A great play by him, a stupid pass by Elway.

jomo
06-13-2013, 11:34 PM
The only player that came out of MSU that I actually liked was Greg Jones. Shame about that kid.Was he picked up by anyone else?

ny06
06-13-2013, 11:44 PM
The only player that came out of MSU that I actually liked was Greg Jones. Shame about that kid.
Brad Van Pelt was pretty good for us =)

Morehead State
06-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Brad Van Pelt was pretty good for us =)
Best #10 that ever played for the Giants.

Hahahahaha!!!!!!

Morehead State
06-14-2013, 12:17 AM
He was a great player, did you watch him in College?
I think him and Bubba Smith are the best MSU football players ever.
He was a safety in college.
I was pretty young. I remember his in the college all star show with Bob Hope.

jomo
06-14-2013, 12:26 AM
Brad Van Pelt was pretty good for us =)Ya think? He was a stud, sadly passed away in the last year or two. He was such a dominant college safety playing with #10 that he got the NFL to grant him an exception to play LB wearing #10. That's no joke. While we expected him to be other worldly, he was simply very good and we were blessed to have him.

zimonami
06-14-2013, 12:27 AM
He was a safety in college.
I was pretty young. I remember his in the college all star show with Bob Hope.LB's usually can't wear no. 10... but, Brad was listed as S, LB... so, he was allowed. He was a great Giant and absolutely the best Defensive Giant player to ever wear No. 10...lol,

zimonami
06-14-2013, 12:30 AM
Ya think? He was a stud, sadly passed away in the last year or two. He was such a dominant college safety playing with #10 that he got the NFL to grant him an exception to play LB wearing #10. That's no joke. While we expected him to be other worldly, he was simply very good and we were blessed to have him.Great minds... I expected him to be an arrogant, self impressed man... he was a pleasure... as you say, a stud who never blew his own horn, was a great team mate, team leader, and friend for many. Incredibly smart at LB. He, Harry, and Kelley was a great several years for our LB corp.

jomo
06-14-2013, 12:32 AM
Great minds... I expected him to be an arrogant, self impressed man... he was a pleasure... as you say, a stud who never blew his own horn, was a great team mate, team leader, and friend for many. Incredibly smart at LB. He, Harry, and Kelley was a great several years for our LB corp.Yes Zim, all of that! No disrespect for Jones but seriously, when matched up with BVP we are taliking men and boys in terms of Giants lore.

...................and BTW, if we are going to talk about linebackers from Michigan State, can I introduce Carl Banks to the discussion?

zimonami
06-14-2013, 12:40 AM
Yes Zim, all of that! No disrespect for Jones but seriously, when matched up with BVP we are taliking men and boys in terms of Giants lore.

...................and BTW, if we are going to talk about linebackers from Michigan State, can I introduce Carl Banks to the discussion? 1984... the last time we picked a LB in Rnd 1. Banks, the best I have ever seen at stringing out the run on his side... and they ran to his side more often because we had a good ROLB. Rarely ever got blocked out... incredible at keeping his feet and following the runner to a point where the RB never got a glimpse of an opening... Banks was always there... and, if Our ROLB (some guy named Taylor) didn't get the RB from behind, banks would string it OB for no gain.

ny06
06-14-2013, 12:44 AM
1984... the last time we picked a LB in Rnd 1. Banks, the best I have ever seen at stringing out the run on his side... and they ran to his side more often because we had a good ROLB. Rarely ever got blocked out... incredible at keeping his feet and following the runner to a point where the RB never got a glimpse of an opening... Banks was always there... and, if Our ROLB (some guy named Taylor) didn't get the RB from behind, banks would string it OB for no gain.
He was the prototypical strong side linebacker.
If coaches were showing strong side linebackers how to play the position they should show game films of Carl Banks.
If it wasn't for Phil playing phenomenal in the super bowl in 86, I felt the MVP would have went to Banks. He was all over the field that day.

jomo
06-14-2013, 12:53 AM
He was the prototypical strong side linebacker.
If coaches were showing strong side linebackers how to play the position they should show game films of Carl Banks.
If it wasn't for Phil playing phenomenal in the super bowl in 86, I felt the MVP would have went to Banks. He was all over the field that day.He belongs in the HOF IMO. He was THAT GOOD.

zimonami
06-14-2013, 12:57 AM
He belongs in the HOF IMO. He was THAT GOOD.I agree, 100%... but, he got no notice with Harry and LT out there, too. And, if we had Reasons today, our 4th best LB back then, he would be our best on this team.

L.T.56
06-14-2013, 01:04 AM
Since qb sacks became official in 1982, which giant team had the most sacks in their history?

zimonami
06-14-2013, 02:08 AM
Since qb sacks became official in 1982, which giant team had the most sacks in their history?Had to be the '85 or '86 team.

ChuckKnoxx
06-14-2013, 03:41 AM
Had to be the '85 or '86 team.Definitely 85.

L.T.56
06-14-2013, 04:04 AM
Definitely 85.

That's correct. The 85 team had a grand total of 68 sacks. The 86 giants are second in team history with 59.

rbcarpenter
07-17-2013, 05:11 AM
I also met van pelt at a charity dinner in 1983-great guy,was willing to talk the in's and out's of the game with a 15 year old kid(not related to anyone on the team,lol)

fansince69
07-17-2013, 09:34 AM
I agree, 100%... but, he got no notice with Harry and LT out there, too. And, if we had Reasons today, our 4th best LB back then, he would be our best on this team.hell..... pepper Johnson Byron hunt and Andy headon...all bench players in 86 would have all been better than anything we have on this team

fansince69
07-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Ok the rest of the threads are getting kind of boring waiting for something football to happen....so why don't we try to fire up this thread....................................... at the end of the 1986 superbowl .......2 young players who were not starters but both would become key players.....danced at the middle of the field at the end of the game.......name them both?..... and....... from memory ....their numbers..... and..... position they played

ny06
07-17-2013, 03:55 PM
Ok the rest of the threads are getting kind of boring waiting for something football to happen....so why don't we try to fire up this thread....................................... at the end of the 1986 superbowl .......2 young players who were not starters but both would become key players.....danced at the middle of the field at the end of the game.......name them both?..... and....... from memory ....their numbers..... and..... position they played
Pepper Johnson & William Roberts. #52, #66. Inside linebacker, offensive guard.

Morehead State
07-17-2013, 04:28 PM
I was dancing in the middle of my living room....Does that count?

zimonami
07-17-2013, 04:40 PM
hell..... pepper Johnson Byron hunt and Andy headon...all bench players in 86 would have all been better than anything we have on this team Penn State is the College Linebacker U. But, the Giants were ALWAYS amongst Pro Football's best... and many years we had the best. Now, I don't think we've been anything but mediocre since 2008. It's almost embarrassing to anyone who remembers our legacy back to Carson, Kelley, and Van Pelt. Wit today's offense, we'd be invincible with a LB crew that good.

fansince69
07-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Pepper Johnson & William Roberts. #52, #66. Inside linebacker, offensive guard.correct....MS im sure you were ...and I know I was too

jomo
07-17-2013, 05:47 PM
hell..... pepper Johnson Byron hunt and Andy headon...all bench players in 86 would have all been better than anything we have on this team+1

cva14
07-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Ernie Wheelright

jomo
07-17-2013, 07:14 PM
Ernie WheelrightIn response to?? lol

byron
07-17-2013, 07:19 PM
In response to?? lol famous Ernies for 100

jomo
07-17-2013, 07:32 PM
What was Tucker Frederickson's first and middle name.
Big hint: tucker was neither one. :)

jomo
07-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Hint #2:

It is not Yelberton Abraham.

zimonami
07-17-2013, 08:43 PM
Hint #2:

It is not Yelberton Abraham. I'll provide the first name... Ivan.
(Was his dad a Cossack?)

jomo
07-17-2013, 08:53 PM
I'll provide the first name... Ivan.
(Was his dad a Cossack?)I figured Zim would get the name. Middle name is Charles so Tucker's name was Ivan Charles Frederickson.

Now in that famous draft where we selected Tucker ahead of Gayle Sayers, **** Butkus and Joe Namath (ouch) there was another player drafted who became an NFL head coach. Name him.

Astorian
07-17-2013, 10:22 PM
Name a Giant fullback from late 60's early 70's nicknamed Big Wheel?Ernie Wheelwright

Astorian
07-17-2013, 10:24 PM
not Koy or Tucker, and my clue was incorrect, was a Giant draft pick in '64 and played 2 seasons in NY, retired in 71.</p>

Thank you... that makes a difference. <u>Wheel</u>wright ... can't remember his first name... want to say Ernie, like Koy, but the brain won't say yes.</p>
good call

what Gaint D lineman owned a sporting goods store and worked in it everyday during the season and in the off season?
actually 2 sporting goods stores.Andy Robustelli

Astorian
07-17-2013, 10:27 PM
who is quoted saying to Pat Summerall...
"you sonofa***** you know you can't kick it that far!"
</p>It was billed at the time by the radio announcers and reporters as at least a 51-yarder. Snow covered the yard markers.

Can only think it coulda been Gino marchetti in the '58 Greatest game</p>

Vince Lombardi
after he kicked a 49 yarder in the snow in the Cleveland game that got them to the championship in 58

Astorian
07-17-2013, 10:32 PM
Name the Giant who shot himself in the leg and ruined the season.

I had an eerie feeling that morning when I heard that that our season was all but over.

damn you 17

Who put the hit on Gifford that took him out of football for a whole season?Chuck Bednarik of the Eagles, who played both ways, Center and Middle Line Backer.

Astorian
07-17-2013, 10:37 PM
what Giant was the most famous Marlboro man that the cigarette company ever had?
most people never knew that was a football player they were seeing on their billboardsAre you confusing Marlboro with Camels?
In the 50s the famous Camels smoke-ring billboard in Times Square featured a great DB. Name him.

Astorian
07-17-2013, 10:39 PM
<FONT size=4>While at Notre Dame this famous Giant was peeved, that His Pizza delivery guy was late. He put His Fist through a glass door. Who was it ?</FONT>**** Lynch.

zimonami
07-18-2013, 12:53 AM
Are you confusing Marlboro with Camels?
In the 50s the famous Camels smoke-ring billboard in Times Square featured a great DB. Name him.
Yes, Lynch was the Camel smoker with the big smoke ring in Times Square, but Charlie Conerly was the Marlboro Man

Roosevelt
07-18-2013, 11:37 AM
I figured Zim would get the name. Middle name is Charles so Tucker's name was Ivan Charles Frederickson.

Now in that famous draft where we selected Tucker ahead of Gayle Sayers, **** Butkus and Joe Namath (ouch) there was another player drafted who became an NFL head coach. Name him.

I only know it Jomo because I looked it up. But never knew Tucker was the first pick in the draft nor did I know that Namath was drafted by St. Louis.

Back to the guys celebrating for a second. Who were the guys celebrating on the sidelines that Parcels broke up because he felt it was premature?

fansince69
07-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Ill bet I have watched that tape 100 times and I have no idea

SEC105
07-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Are you guys still at it ???................JK.....LOL..........hope all is well for everybody a link to the 1963 NY FOOTBALL GIANTS HIGHLIGHTS http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=1963+ny+football+giants+highlights+videos&mid=2B0CD2F22D426EA017352B0CD2F22D426EA01735&view=detail&FORM=VIRE1 Enjoy ;)

ny06
07-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Are you guys still at it ???................JK.....LOL..........hope all is well for everybody a link to the 1963 NY FOOTBALL GIANTS HIGHLIGHTS http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=1963+ny+football+giants+highlights+videos&mid=2B0CD2F22D426EA017352B0CD2F22D426EA01735&view=detail&FORM=VIRE1 Enjoy ;)
What's going on SEC? Everything is good on my end, just this humidity the past couple days in NY is brutal. I thought FL was hot lol
Great video, within the first few seconds of the video did anyone on Cleveland think "hey maybe we should block Andy Robustelli"

SEC105
07-18-2013, 12:27 PM
What's going on SEC? Everything is good on my end, just this humidity the past couple days in NY is brutal. I thiught FL was hot lol
Great video, within the first few seconds of the video did anyone on Cleveland think "hey maybe we should block Andy Robustelli" been brutal this week with heat glad all is good NY06 Andy Robistelli was SOME player http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/03/71/66/1023415/11/628x471.jpg

ShineOnForever
07-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Name the 2 QB's in superbowl history with 2 go ahead 4th quarter TD drives

zimonami
07-18-2013, 01:42 PM
been brutal this week with heat glad all is good NY06 Andy Robistelli was SOME player http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/03/71/66/1023415/11/628x471.jpg
SEC!!!! You made me smile. Thanks. RBCarpenter, Derek, is also back.
Be well, my friend.

zimonami
07-18-2013, 01:45 PM
My son and I are going to the Philly game, 10/6. Only game for me this year.
Anyone who wants to get together for some eats and beers in the parking lot beforehand... holler.
And, holler right here because I always forget to check my Inbox.

Morehead State
07-18-2013, 02:28 PM
My son and I are going to the Philly game, 10/6. Only game for me this year.
Anyone who wants to get together for some eats and beers in the parking lot beforehand... holler.
And, holler right here because I always forget to check my Inbox.
Looks like our game this year is the same one Zim. Its our annual "Thee Thread" game.
We all will have to get together that day.

zimonami
07-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Looks like our game this year is the same one Zim. Its our annual "Thee Thread" game.
We all will have to get together that day.
TY, MS.
Yes, I'd love to join you all... and maybe we can a few others who come to this thread, but who don't go to Thee. I'll start checking on Thee to see what you're planning.
Thank you.!!!

jomo
07-18-2013, 04:59 PM
I only know it Jomo because I looked it up. But never knew Tucker was the first pick in the draft nor did I know that Namath was drafted by St. Louis.

Back to the guys celebrating for a second. Who were the guys celebrating on the sidelines that Parcels broke up because he felt it was premature?I only knew it because I was researching something else on Frederickson and ran quickly through the draft. The answer is Marty Shottenheimer.

Now to your question, I can see the play but can't recall the players. It could come to me.

Roosevelt
07-18-2013, 05:19 PM
I only knew it because I was researching something else on Frederickson and ran quickly through the draft. The answer is Marty Shottenheimer.

Now to your question, I can see the play but can't recall the players. It could come to me.

I'm thinking it was definitely Pepper and one other guy.

Astorian
07-18-2013, 09:57 PM
Yes, Lynch was the Camel smoker with the big smoke ring in Times Square, but Charlie Conerly was the Marlboro ManI'm sure you're right about Conerly (I don't smoke, so I wouldn't have noticed), and I think you're right about Lynch. But I'm thinking about another DB who was featured on the Camels billboard in the same era. Can anyone name him? Hint: he was eventually traded to San Francisco.

ny06
08-06-2013, 04:49 PM
I only played two seasons for the Giants... But I was remembered for something I did off the field. My # was never worn again by a Giants since. Who am I?

Astorian
08-06-2013, 05:24 PM
I only played two seasons for the Giants... But I was remembered for something I did off the field. My # was never worn again by a Giants since. Who am I?Joe Don Looney.

Astorian
08-06-2013, 05:31 PM
In regard to the celebrating players who were squelched by BP, I can't remember their names, but I believe they were backup D-Linemen. Did we have a guy named Joseph on that squad?

Astorian
08-06-2013, 05:32 PM
In regard to the celebrating players who were squelched by BP, I can't remember their names, but I believe they were backup D-Linemen.&nbsp; Did we have a guy named Joseph on that squad?

Astorian
08-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Sorry about the double post. I tried to delete it but it won't delete. I'll try to make up for my miscue with a new question: In Charlie Conerly's later years (before YA) I used to start at QB and play a series or two. Then CC would take over for the rest of the game. Who am I and what number did I wear?

zimonami
08-06-2013, 08:30 PM
I only played two seasons for the Giants... But I was remembered for something I did off the field. My # was never worn again by a Giants since. Who am I? Randy Dean... played Olympic Handball for the U.S. #9??Good, tough question

zimonami
08-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Sorry about the double post. I tried to delete it but it won't delete. I'll try to make up for my miscue with a new question: In Charlie Conerly's later years (before YA) I used to start at QB and play a series or two. Then CC would take over for the rest of the game. Who am I and what number did I wear?&nbsp; Don Heinrich... but, I don't remember his #.&nbsp; Read in the book, "The Greatest Game" that none of the players could figure out why Owens played him. CC was so much better.

ny06
08-06-2013, 11:02 PM
Randy Dean... played Olympic Handball for the U.S. #9??Good, tough question
Good guess zim but it's not him.

Joe Don Looney.
I had no idea who that was, had to look him up. Good guess, but it isn't him.
I'll give this question a day or so before I reveal the answer.

Astorian
08-06-2013, 11:03 PM
&nbsp; Don Heinrich... but, I don't remember his #.&nbsp; Read in the book, "The Greatest Game" that none of the players could figure out why Owens played him. CC was so much better.Excellent! Heinrich, from the U. of Washington, it is. He played under Jim Lee Howell as well. The idea was that he would handle a series or two, while Charlie watched from the bench and sized up the defense. By that reasoning, I guess Carr should start ahead of Eli! But that was the official line as the media reported it. He wore # 11. By the way, my Enter/Return key hasn't functioned on recent posts. Anybody else having that problem?

Astorian
08-06-2013, 11:06 PM
Good guess zim but it's not him.

I had no idea who that was, had to look him up. Good guess, but it isn't him.
I'll give this question a day or so before I reveal the answer.Frank Gifford once said of Looney, "Never was a man more aptly named."

jomo
08-06-2013, 11:26 PM
Randy Dean... played Olympic Handball for the U.S. #9??Good, tough questionWow, haven't thought of or heard of Randy Dean in over 20 years.

Astorian
08-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Wow, haven't thought of or heard of Randy Dean in over 20 years.Who's he??

zimonami
08-07-2013, 01:05 AM
Who's he?? Dean Played QB at Northwestern. Was on the US Olympic Handball team in 1976. Played QB for us 2-3 years, late 70's... behind Pisarcik and Golsteyn. Might have also been with us in '79 when Simms was a rookie.

Roswell777
08-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Hey guys. hope the summer is going well. Game on Saturday so make sure you get plenty of rest Friday night.

Phil Simms won his first five career starts and was a runner up in the Rookie Of the Year balloting. Without looking it up, who won the award that year?

zimonami
08-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Hey guys. hope the summer is going well. Game on Saturday so make sure you get plenty of rest Friday night.

Phil Simms won his first five career starts and was a runner up in the Rookie Of the Year balloting. Without looking it up, who won the award that year?Hey Ros. Good to see you. Great summer for me. Can't wait for our first preseason.My only thought is OJ Anderson... I'm really not sure what year OJ was drafted, but I think he had a stellar rookie season.

jomo
08-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Hey Ros. Good to see you. Great summer for me. Can't wait for our first preseason.My only thought is OJ Anderson... I'm really not sure what year OJ was drafted, but I think he had a stellar rookie season.Zim, I am with you on this. I know that OJ was of a similar vintage to Simms and I am sure that he was a rookie of the year. I never put the two together but it is interesting tha their careers brought them back for a magical run.

zimonami
08-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Zim, I am with you on this. I know that OJ was of a similar vintage to Simms and I am sure that he was a rookie of the year. I never put the two together but it is interesting tha their careers brought them back for a magical run. I think we have Bingo, jomo. Just googled it and it's correct>Yeah, they had a nice run together. How can you complain about winning the Bowl in '90 - '91. OJ babysat Hoss all during the remaining season and thru the playoffs. A calming influence for Hoss. But, if Simms doesn't get hurt I think we win more games, and win the Bowl easily. Not 20-19... more like the Broncos SB... 35 - 19. I'm curious about the answer to Astorian's Question... curious how they made their name after football.

Astorian
08-07-2013, 10:48 PM
I think we have Bingo, jomo. Just googled it and it's correct>Yeah, they had a nice run together. How can you complain about winning the Bowl in '90 - '91. OJ babysat Hoss all during the remaining season and thru the playoffs. A calming influence for Hoss. But, if Simms doesn't get hurt I think we win more games, and win the Bowl easily. Not 20-19... more like the Broncos SB... 35 - 19. I'm curious about the answer to Astorian's Question... curious how they made their name after football.I'm not completely following you, Zim. What question of mine do you have a question about?

JAYPEE
08-07-2013, 11:48 PM
Here is a surprising fact I came across:

Which current Giant unofficially holds the record for most blocked FG all-time with 13.

byron
08-08-2013, 12:18 AM
Excellent! Heinrich, from the U. of Washington, it is. He played under Jim Lee Howell as well. The idea was that he would handle a series or two, while Charlie watched from the bench and sized up the defense. By that reasoning, I guess Carr should start ahead of Eli! But that was the official line as the media reported it. He wore # 11. By the way, my Enter/Return key hasn't functioned on recent posts. Anybody else having that problem? I had this problem when windows updated to internet explorer 10....what I did was to uninstall the IE 10 update which defaults back to IE 9...and that solved my problem...That being said this board software is buggy at least has been for me ....

miked1958
08-08-2013, 12:30 AM
Here's an easy one. " I played just about every Offensive Position other then O-Line.. Did some holding and kicked a few... Lined up as a FB, HB, RB, WR, TE and even QB... Who am I?

zimonami
08-08-2013, 01:20 AM
Here's an easy one. " I played just about every Offensive Position other then O-Line.. Did some holding and kicked a few... Lined up as a FB, HB, RB, WR, TE and even QB... Who am I? Joe Morrison?

zimonami
08-08-2013, 01:21 AM
I'm not completely following you, Zim. What question of mine do you have a question about? So Sorry, Astorian... I had to go back to find it... It was a question from NY06...

Roswell777
08-08-2013, 03:22 AM
Joe Morrison?

If it is Joe, my favorite Giant growing up, then I believe he also played in the secondary....

Roswell777
08-08-2013, 03:27 AM
I think that Justin Tuck has done something, surprisingly, in the playoffs that no other NFL player has ever done. Name that accomplishment...

miked1958
08-08-2013, 04:49 AM
Joe Morrison?yes Sir.. Loved that guy!!! He did it all. May have even played some defense for em!

miked1958
08-08-2013, 04:50 AM
If it is Joe, my favorite Giant growing up, then I believe he also played in the secondary....yes my favorite as well and your right

fansince69
08-08-2013, 07:05 AM
yes my favorite as well and your rightI only got to watch him at the very end of his career but my father spoke very highly of him

B&RWarrior
08-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Here's an easy one. " I played just about every Offensive Position other then O-Line.. Did some holding and kicked a few... Lined up as a FB, HB, RB, WR, TE and even QB... Who am I?

Frank Gifford

B&RWarrior
08-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Here is a surprising fact I came across:

Which current Giant unofficially holds the record for most blocked FG all-time with 13.

I know JPP blocked a few, but 13 seems too high for him. JPP, that's all I got.

jomo
08-08-2013, 09:21 AM
I think that Justin Tuck has done something, surprisingly, in the playoffs that no other NFL player has ever done. Name that accomplishment...Been the MVP of 2 Super Bowls without getting the official nod? :cool:

Roswell777
08-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Been the MVP of 2 Super Bowls without getting the official nod? :cool:

Jomo that's funny and you are knocking on the door. It has to do with 2 Super Bowls....

Astorian
08-08-2013, 07:48 PM
If it is Joe, my favorite Giant growing up, then I believe he also played in the secondary....Yes, he played in the secondary, as well as LB.

JAYPEE
08-08-2013, 10:26 PM
I know JPP blocked a few, but 13 seems too high for him. JPP, that's all I got.
Big man Shaun Rogers has the unofficial record, cause they dont keep blocks unless they are returned.

jomo
08-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Jomo that's funny and you are knocking on the door. It has to do with 2 Super Bowls....I know he recorded a safety in 2011. Did he record a safety in 2 Super Bowls?

Roswell777
08-09-2013, 06:09 AM
I know he recorded a safety in 2011. Did he record a safety in 2 Super Bowls?

Now you're really close. Unbelievably, Justin Tuck is the only player in Super Bowl history to record multiple sacks in two Super Bowl games.

jomo
08-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Now you're really close. Unbelievably, Justin Tuck is the only player in Super Bowl history to record multiple sacks in two Super Bowl games.Ya know, I seem to recall hearing that one Ros but it seemed too far fetched to believe. I mean there have been some great pass rushers in multiple SB games, like Joe Green of the Steelers and the 49er run. It is a nice thing to have on his resume, just surprised that it has never happened before.

fansince69
08-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Ya know, I seem to recall hearing that one Ros but it seemed too far fetched to believe. I mean there have been some great pass rushers in multiple SB games, like Joe Green of the Steelers and the 49er run. It is a nice thing to have on his resume, just surprised that it has never happened before.the things I learn on this site....lol....I am with you...nit surprised tuck did...just surprised no one else ever has

jomo
08-09-2013, 03:48 PM
the things I learn on this site....lol....I am with you...nit surprised tuck did...just surprised no one else ever hasYes, but after 50 years of Super Bowls, it obviously is pretty difficult to do.

Roswell777
08-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Believe it or not I think Charles Haley, who played in 5 SBs has the career sack record with either 4.5 or 5 (not sure). So one more sack and Tuck has at least a piece of the record.

Roswell777
08-09-2013, 04:55 PM
here's another SB question.....

When the Giants met the Patriots in SB XLVI it was the first time something happened. I know that's a nebulous question but its the only was to describe it.

Name the first time occurrence...

JAYPEE
08-09-2013, 05:59 PM
First time a safety counted as a first score? My only guess.

Roswell777
08-09-2013, 07:04 PM
First time a safety counted as a first score? My only guess.

That's probably true also but not what I was asking. This involves two individuals within the game. But that was a great answer.

zimonami
08-09-2013, 10:17 PM
First time a safety counted as a first score? My only guess.I thought this was a pretty good guess... it's probably correct, even though Ros is looking for some other answer

Roswell777
08-10-2013, 11:42 AM
I thought this was a pretty good guess... it's probably correct, even though Ros is looking for some other answer

He's probably right Z, but SB XLVI was also the first time two former SB MVP QBs (Eli vs Brady) started against each other.

jomo
08-10-2013, 03:27 PM
He's probably right Z, but SB XLVI was also the first time two former SB MVP QBs (Eli vs Brady) started against each other.That is very cool as is the point about the first score of the game coming on a safety.

zimonami
08-10-2013, 08:01 PM
He's probably right Z, but SB XLVI was also the first time two former SB MVP QBs (Eli vs Brady) started against each other.Nice.
This year will be the first time two brothers start against each other in a SB.

rbcarpenter
08-18-2013, 06:21 AM
actually,a safety was the first score of super bowl 9,the steelers getting one against the Vikings-1st half ended with the steelers up 2-0...

keyofgmen
08-18-2013, 11:15 AM
actually,a safety was the first score of super bowl 9,the steelers getting one against the Vikings-1st half ended with the steelers up 2-0...

I was so bummed that game, as I was a huge Fran Tarkenton fan back then. I watched him run for his life in old Yankee Stadium as a Giant. He fumbled the snap for that safety and had 3 INTs that game. Which D-lineman got one of them?

zimonami
08-20-2013, 12:12 AM
I was so bummed that game, as I was a huge Fran Tarkenton fan back then. I watched him run for his life in old Yankee Stadium as a Giant. He fumbled the snap for that safety and had 3 INTs that game. Which D-lineman got one of them? I'll guess Ernie Holmes.

Roswell777
08-20-2013, 06:11 AM
And I'll guess Dwight White...

Roswell777
08-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Here's a question that no one in their right mind should know the answer to...

In the Marx Bros. movie Horse Feathers, name the two college football teams that played against each other. Who played QB, flanker and running back? Who won?

ny06
08-20-2013, 11:02 PM
I only played two seasons for the Giants... But I was remembered for something I did off the field. My # was never worn again by a Giants since. Who am I?

The answer was Al Blozis, he died in WWII.
They retired his #32

jomo
08-20-2013, 11:44 PM
They retired his #32I think I have heard that one before but would have never guessed it. A different kind of Giants hero.........

zimonami
08-21-2013, 01:35 AM
I think I have heard that one before but would have never guessed it. A different kind of Giants hero......... Yes, I readi his bio a few times when reviewing the Giant retired numbers... it's just something my brain can't retain.
'Twas a good question.

I have no chance of answering Ros' question... I hated the Marx bros and never watched Horsefeathers

Roswell777
08-21-2013, 03:15 PM
Yes, I readi his bio a few times when reviewing the Giant retired numbers... it's just something my brain can't retain.
'Twas a good question.

I have no chance of answering Ros' question... I hated the Marx bros and never watched Horsefeathers

You're killing me Zim. Hate the Marx Bros? Chaplin, Keaton, Harold Lloyd...they're all turning over in their graves right now lol.....

zimonami
08-21-2013, 09:32 PM
You're killing me Zim. Hate the Marx Bros? Chaplin, Keaton, Harold Lloyd...they're all turning over in their graves right now lol..... I loved Chaplin, Keaton, and Lloyd. The marx brothers never made me laugh.But, that's besides the point... we need a Marx bros aficionado, besides yourself, to answer this. :)

SweetZombieJesus
08-21-2013, 09:49 PM
They retired his #32

He set the US Army's hand grenade throwing record, I believe it still stands.

jomo
08-21-2013, 11:23 PM
You're killing me Zim. Hate the Marx Bros? Chaplin, Keaton, Harold Lloyd...they're all turning over in their graves right now lol.....I loved them Marx brothers.

Roswell777
08-22-2013, 01:31 AM
I loved them Marx brothers.

Good man Jomo. I asked the only Marx Bros. football related question known to mankind...

jomo
08-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Here's a question that no one in their right mind should know the answer to...

In the Marx Bros. movie Horse Feathers, name the two college football teams that played against each other. Who played QB, flanker and running back? Who won?I don't know the answer but I think I remember one of the plays calls..."hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle, this time I thing we run up the middle."

zimonami
08-22-2013, 12:08 PM
He set the US Army's hand grenade throwing record, I believe it still stands. If that's true, SZJ, that's a cool piece of trivia.

zimonami
08-22-2013, 12:10 PM
I don't know the answer but I think I remember one of the plays calls..."hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle, this time I thing we run up the middle." I wonder if the schools are made up names? Or real colleges?
Do I have to seek out that film to find out these critical answers in life?

jomo
08-22-2013, 01:16 PM
I wonder if the schools are made up names? Or real colleges?
Do I have to seek out that film to find out these critical answers in life?Yes, you will be forced to watch a classic to find out the answer. I am pretty sure that they are fictional colleges.

zimonami
08-22-2013, 04:05 PM
Yes, you will be forced to watch a classic to find out the answer. I am pretty sure that they are fictional colleges. 66, and will have to watch his first Marx Bros. film all the way through.What if I find that I was wrong all these years and I do enjoy their films?
I don't think so>
It feels like a Homework assignment. lol

Roswell777
08-22-2013, 05:03 PM
I don't know the answer but I think I remember one of the plays calls..."hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle, this time I thing we run up the middle."

You got it Jomo.

"Humpy Dumpty sat on a wall, Professor Wagstaff gets the ball."
"Uno, duo, tre, vendi, this time we go left endi."

Darwin College vs. Huxley College... Huxley won.

Maybe Eli could use some of these as audibles.

Roswell777
08-22-2013, 05:06 PM
66, and will have to watch his first Marx Bros. film all the way through.What if I find that I was wrong all these years and I do enjoy their films?
I don't think so>
It feels like a Homework assignment. lol

On a rainy day, give them one more shot Zim. Especially Horsefeathers. The whole third act is a football game. It's mayhem. The whole movie is only 75 minutes.

zimonami
08-22-2013, 05:24 PM
On a rainy day, give them one more shot Zim. Especially Horsefeathers. The whole third act is a football game. It's mayhem. The whole movie is only 75 minutes. OK, Ros... I'll give it a shot. It IS Classic, and I do like Groucho, so I'll persevere and see how I like it. But, can you believe that, especially in the times a grew up... 50's... I never watched one of their films. I saw that routine where they're standing there smacking each other in the face, thinking, "Not funny." Harpo is a dead ringo for a kid I went to school with, or vice versa.

jomo
08-22-2013, 07:28 PM
66, and will have to watch his first Marx Bros. film all the way through.What if I find that I was wrong all these years and I do enjoy their films?
I don't think so>
It feels like a Homework assignment. lolThink of it as taking 2 tablespoons of castor oil. It may taste rotten but it is good for you!

YATittle1962
09-03-2013, 06:21 PM
how many times did the Giants beat the Cowboys in the entire decade of the 1970s?

......and were those wins away or home ?

Z

jomo
09-03-2013, 06:32 PM
how many times did the Giants beat the Cowboys in the entire decade of the 1970s?

......and were those wins away or home ?

ZTough one to just pull out of the air. I knew there weren't many so I did the research just to satisfy my curiosity. Let's see if anyone out there knows this one. There is one extra curiosity in the answer which I'll share if no one else points it out.

zimonami
09-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Tough one to just pull out of the air. I knew there weren't many so I did the research just to satisfy my curiosity. Let's see if anyone out there knows this one. There is one extra curiosity in the answer which I'll share if no one else points it out.
It was horrible, I am sure. I'm taking a big guess and will say we were 2 and 8 at home and 1-9 at the Boys. I don't think I can be too far off on either.

jomo
09-03-2013, 09:45 PM
It was horrible, I am sure. I'm taking a big guess and will say we were 2 and 8 at home and 1-9 at the Boys. I don't think I can be too far off on either.Damn Zim, you are good.......and so close but not quite nailing it. This is YA's thread so I can't reveal what I have found out until tomorrow at least but you will be pleased with how flipping close you are to the answer.

There was one year in there where we only won two game and one of those wins was vs. the Cowboys btw.

zimonami
09-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Damn Zim, you are good.......and so close but not quite nailing it. This is YA's thread so I can't reveal what I have found out until tomorrow at least but you will be pleased with how flipping close you are to the answer.

There was one year in there where we only won two game and one of those wins was vs. the Cowboys btw.
hahahaha, jomo... even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every so often. it wasn't difficult to be close... they were horrible years for us, and good years for "America's Team".

jomo
09-04-2013, 11:02 AM
hahahaha, jomo... even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every so often. it wasn't difficult to be close... they were horrible years for us, and good years for "America's Team".Correct me on this one if I am wrong YA. The Giants did win 3 games vs. the Cowboys during that decade, as you suggested Zim.. However the twist is that they won 2 in Dallas and only 1 at home. My, things have changed!

zimonami
09-04-2013, 03:16 PM
Correct me on this one if I am wrong YA. The Giants did win 3 games vs. the Cowboys during that decade, as you suggested Zim.. However the twist is that they won 2 in Dallas and only 1 at home. My, things have changed! Wow, cool... I was pretty close. I have no real memory of those specific games, but they were mostly painful to endure from the upstart Boys, and Landry, and I loved Staubach at the Naval Academy. At least they were both class acts about it, and never rubbed it in our faces.
Enduring that decade has hardened me for the years since. Everything changed with Simms and George Young in '79, and of course LT in '81. The upward progression of the team, especially the O Line, in the 80's was a wonderful time. I look at the recent SB victories as a bonus, and have enjoyed the Eli and Coughlin years... but there's just a bit more magic in 1986, and in '90-'91 when I was standing at field level, at the goal line, and 'wide right ' went by so fast I couldn't tell... and then I saw the Giants jumping and dancing, and knew we'd won.

fansince69
09-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Wow, cool... I was pretty close. I have no real memory of those specific games, but they were mostly painful to endure from the upstart Boys, and Landry, and I loved Staubach at the Naval Academy. At least they were both class acts about it, and never rubbed it in our faces.
Enduring that decade has hardened me for the years since. Everything changed with Simms and George Young in '79, and of course LT in '81. The upward progression of the team, especially the O Line, in the 80's was a wonderful time. I look at the recent SB victories as a bonus, and have enjoyed the Eli and Coughlin years... but there's just a bit more magic in 1986, and in '90-'91 when I was standing at field level, at the goal line, and 'wide right ' went by so fast I couldn't tell... and then I saw the Giants jumping and dancing, and knew we'd won.Those of us that did suffer through the 70s....would probably agree with you

Astorian
09-04-2013, 07:56 PM
OK, Ros... I'll give it a shot. It IS Classic, and I do like Groucho, so I'll persevere and see how I like it. But, can you believe that, especially in the times a grew up... 50's... I never watched one of their films. I saw that routine where they're standing there smacking each other in the face, thinking, "Not funny." Harpo is a dead ringo for a kid I went to school with, or vice versa.I don't remember the Marx Bros. doing much face-slapping. You're not mixing them up with the 3 Stooges, are you? The face-slap was a staple with them.

zimonami
09-04-2013, 08:56 PM
I don't remember the Marx Bros. doing much face-slapping. You're not mixing them up with the 3 Stooges, are you? The face-slap was a staple with them. Crapola, Astorian... you hit the nail on the head... it was the 3 Stooges that I hated... not the Marx Bros...
Regardless, I never did like silly comedy and regret that I did not watch the Marx Bros often... and, never Horsefeathers... but, I will be looking for it to see. I watched You Bet Your Life all the time and liked Groucho

Astorian
09-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Crapola, Astorian... you hit the nail on the head... it was the 3 Stooges that I hated... not the Marx Bros...
Regardless, I never did like silly comedy and regret that I did not watch the Marx Bros often... and, never Horsefeathers... but, I will be looking for it to see. I watched You Bet Your Life all the time and liked GrouchoYou Bet Your Life with faithful announcer George Fenneman (sp?) and the Groucho-Duck on a wire announcing the mystery bonus word of the night, worth, IIRC, something like 50 bucks if a contestant said it.

jomo
09-05-2013, 12:25 AM
Wow, cool... I was pretty close. I have no real memory of those specific games, but they were mostly painful to endure from the upstart Boys, and Landry, and I loved Staubach at the Naval Academy. At least they were both class acts about it, and never rubbed it in our faces.
Enduring that decade has hardened me for the years since. Everything changed with Simms and George Young in '79, and of course LT in '81. The upward progression of the team, especially the O Line, in the 80's was a wonderful time. I look at the recent SB victories as a bonus, and have enjoyed the Eli and Coughlin years... but there's just a bit more magic in 1986, and in '90-'91 when I was standing at field level, at the goal line, and 'wide right ' went by so fast I couldn't tell... and then I saw the Giants jumping and dancing, and knew we'd won.My son says to me from time to time, "this is a special time to be a Giants fan, isn't it?" and I say..............yes it is.

primetime
12-04-2013, 11:32 PM
In 1986 Giants legend Harry Carson made a statement during a game that "we're going to knock that smile off your face"
Who was he speaking of?

zimonami
12-04-2013, 11:46 PM
In 1986 Giants legend Harry Carson made a statement during a game that "we're going to knock that smile off your face"
Who was he speaking of?
Dang... good question, prime. I clearly remember Harry saying this, and can't remember who. Looking forward to the answer... but, give it some time for some peeps to see it.

jomo
12-25-2013, 03:09 PM
That 1986 NFC Championship Game against the Redskins at Giants Stadium was memorable. Also memorable was the regular season home game against the skins that year which also had championship "ramifications." What were they?

fansince69
12-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Dang... good question, prime. I clearly remember Harry saying this, and can't remember who. Looking forward to the answer... but, give it some time for some peeps to see it.I know before the playoff game with 49ers he sang the police song"ill be watching you" to Roger Craig so I will guess him

keyofgmen
12-25-2013, 04:58 PM
That 1986 NFC Championship Game against the Redskins at Giants Stadium was memorable. Also memorable was the regular season home game against the skins that year which also had championship "ramifications." What were they?

Memorable??? Just the greatest game I ever attended!!!!

I'm thinking it was Art Monk that HC was referring to???

jomo
12-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Memorable??? Just the greatest game I ever attended!!!!

I'm thinking it was Art Monk that HC was referring to???

I'm thinking it was Craig because Carson would have more "personal contact" with him during a game.

Back to my question, yes it was undoubtedly a great game but what was going on that night which had "championship implications" for the team from New York?

This is a bit of a trick question but everyone will remember it when they hear it.

Here is another hint. I gave my Giants tickets away because that night I had a higher calling............

fansince69
12-25-2013, 05:35 PM
I'm thinking it was Craig because Carson would have more "personal contact" with him during a game.

Back to my question, yes it was undoubtedly a great game but what was going on that night which had "championship implications" for the team from New York?

This is a bit of a trick question but everyone will remember it when they hear it.

Here is another hint. I gave my Giants tickets away because that night I had a higher calling............wasn't that the Bill Buckner game?

jomo
12-25-2013, 05:40 PM
wasn't that the Bill Buckner game?

Nope but you are in the right neighborhood.
Buckner was on Saturday night. I wasn't there but I had tickets for game 7 which was scheduled for Sunday night. That game got rained out pushing game 7 back to Monday night. I had to make a decision and gave the Giants tickets (Monday night football vs. the Skins) to my brother in law. I took my wife, brother and his wife to game 7 at Shea.

A big night for New York sports indeed.

fansince69
12-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Nope but you are in the right neighborhood.
Buckner was on Saturday night. I wasn't there but I had tickets for game 7 which was scheduled for Sunday night. That game got rained out pushing game 7 back to Monday night. I had to make a decision and gave the Giants tickets (Monday night football vs. the Skins) to my brother in law. I took my wife, brother and his wife to game 7 at Shea.

A big night for New York sports indeed.I suppose it was for mets fans...lol

in a game between the sox and mets I was rooting for a tie

jomo
12-25-2013, 06:22 PM
I suppose it was for mets fans...lol

in a game between the sox and mets I was rooting for a tie.........whoops, I missed that possibility completely. No offense intended fansince69.
I'm hoping you have no soft spot for the Patriots.

fansince69
12-25-2013, 06:26 PM
.........whoops, I missed that possibility completely. No offense intended fansince69.
I'm hoping you have no soft spot for the Patriots.im confused....why would I have a soft spot for the pats?
I am a yankee fan I cant stand the mets or the sox so you can see my dilemma...in that WS

fansince69
12-25-2013, 06:28 PM
.........whoops, I missed that possibility completely. No offense intended fansince69.
I'm hoping you have no soft spot for the Patriots.

no offense taken at all....there are several fans on here that could never offend me including you....we've been here too long lol

jomo
12-25-2013, 06:35 PM
im confused....why would I have a soft spot for the pats?
I am a yankee fan I cant stand the mets or the sox so you can see my dilemma...in that WSI have moved from wine to bourbon that's why. lol
I misunderstood your reference to beantown.

fansince69
12-25-2013, 06:42 PM
I have moved from wine to bourbon that's why. lol
I misunderstood your reference to beantown.

IT's all good...have a great holiday

jomo
12-25-2013, 07:38 PM
IT's all good...have a great holiday

You too friend!

jomo
05-18-2014, 05:42 PM
Watching the thread on Rocky Thompson who was known to the fans as "hands of stone" reminded me of another high draft choice who was known by the nickname "virgin hands".

Hint: he had another less critical nickname coming out of college.

Can you name that receiver??

Morehead State
05-18-2014, 08:54 PM
Hey....I haven't seen this thread in a long time.......

Roswell777
05-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Watching the thread on Rocky Thompson who was known to the fans as "hands of stone" reminded me of another high draft choice who was known by the nickname "virgin hands".

Hint: he had another less critical nickname coming out of college.

Can you name that receiver??

Nice to see this thread unearthed. I will take a shot at it Jomo. Was it Thomas Lewis?

jomo
05-18-2014, 09:11 PM
Nice to see this thread unearthed. I will take a shot at it Jomo. Was it Thomas Lewis?

Haha, good guess. It could have been Lewis but it wasn't. He played for us before Lewis.
If I give you his other nickname or school he attended it would probably give it away.
Let's let this roll for a while longer and then I'll add the other clues.

jomo
05-18-2014, 09:29 PM
Haha, good guess. It could have been Lewis but it wasn't. He played for us before Lewis.
If I give you his other nickname or school he attended it would probably give it away.
Let's let this roll for a while longer and then I'll add the other clues.This isn't much of a clue but he was a 3rd round pick for us.

zimonami
05-18-2014, 10:27 PM
I don't know the answer... yet... names keep coming into my head>
I was going to say the same as Ros...Thomas Lewis.
Just wanted to say, "Hey" even though I don't know.

jomo
05-18-2014, 11:03 PM
I don't know the answer... yet... names keep coming into my head>
I was going to say the same as Ros...Thomas Lewis.
Just wanted to say, "Hey" even though I don't know.How ya been Zim? Good to see you around lately.
How's this for a clue? He was a Mountaineer.
If that doesn't do it, his other nickname should.....

YATittle1962
05-18-2014, 11:19 PM
glad to see the old girl unearthed ... I guess I'll ask a question

what NY Giants head coach said this after being hired and being the teams third option as HC?

"I was my mothers third choice. I don't feel I was any less loved than the rest of them. It doesn't make a difference with me. The main thing is I'm their last choice."

....bonus question.....

who were the first two choices?

jomo
05-18-2014, 11:25 PM

what NY Giants head coach said this after being hired and being the teams third option as HC?

"I was my mothers third choice. I don't feel I was any less loved than the rest of them. It doesn't make a difference with me. The main thing is I'm their last choice."

....bonus question.....

Was it Reeves? I know he wasn't their first choice. If that is right, I have no clue who were our top 2 picks.

YATittle1962
05-18-2014, 11:28 PM
Was it Reeves? I know he wasn't their first choice. If that is right, I have no clue who were our top 2 picks.

give the man a cigar!!!

lets see if anyone can guess who the first two choices were

there were actually 3 choices before Dan... but apparently he only knew of two

zimonami
05-18-2014, 11:31 PM
How ya been Zim? Good to see you around lately.

Hoss is the only 3rd Round Mountaineer that I can think of.

zimonami
05-18-2014, 11:42 PM
give the man a cigar!!!

lets see if anyone can guess who the first two choices were

there were actually 3 choices before Dan... but apparently he only knew of two
How about Maty Schottenheim and Marv Levy?
Romeo Crennel?

Roswell777
05-18-2014, 11:52 PM

....bonus question.....

I know the Giants wanted Coughlin before but I'm not sure if it was instead of Reeves or instead of Fassel. As far as another guess, was it Ron Earhardt?

zimonami
05-19-2014, 12:26 AM
I know the Giants wanted Coughlin before but I'm not sure if it was instead of Reeves or instead of Fassel. As far as another guess, was it Ron Earhardt?
I like the Ron Earnhardt guess

Blue Beach
05-19-2014, 01:03 AM
<FONT size=4>I believe it was Ron Johnson in'72, and Ithink He owns a couple of KFC's.</FONT>

He sure does. He owns one in my home city of Paterson, NJ

gmen46
05-19-2014, 01:12 AM

....bonus question.....

As has been said already, Reeves was the 3rd (4th) choice.

Coughlin was definitely one of the previous choices.

Was the other Belichick? And/or Crennell?

Morehead State
05-19-2014, 09:06 AM
I believe it was Dave Wannstadt. (sp)

YATittle1962
05-19-2014, 09:31 AM
yup a couple of you collectively are correct

the two that Reeves knew of were Dave Wannstedt who had already taken the bears job .. George Young really wanted him .... and Tom Coughlin who was Well Maras first choice ....Well absolutely adored Tom Coughlin and everything he stands for

but what Reeves didn't know was that Parcells was approached as well .... who quickly turned to job down ...

Morehead State
05-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Something's been bugging me for many years.
I SWEAR that I saw LT in his first pre season game wearing 98. As I remember I was surprised to see him switch to 56 later in the pre season. But I can't find anything on the internet that can either confirm it or prove that my memory is wrong.
Can anyone verify that?

YATittle1962
05-19-2014, 09:59 AM
Something's been bugging me for many years.
I SWEAR that I saw LT in his first pre season game wearing 98. As I remember I was surprised to see him switch to 56 later in the pre season. But I can't find anything on the internet that can either confirm it or prove that my memory is wrong.
Can anyone verify that?

yes Lawrence Taylor wore 98 until the 1981 season started .... absolutely

jomo
05-19-2014, 10:24 AM
Hoss is the only 3rd Round Mountaineer that I can think of.This 3rd round pick, highly heralded coming out of WVU had 0 catches during his one and a half years here, hence the nickname "virgin hands". He moved on to the Redskins for a few forgettable years.

His other nickname was "lightning".

Morehead State
05-19-2014, 10:30 AM
This 3rd round pick, highly heralded coming out of WVU had 0 catches during his one and a half years here, hence the nickname "virgin hands". He moved on to the Redskins for a few forgettable years.

His other nickname was "lightning".
I guess that has to be Danny Buggs.

Morehead State
05-19-2014, 10:31 AM
Thanks YA.
How awesome would it be to have a photo of LT wearing 98 for the Giants?

YATittle1962
05-19-2014, 01:35 PM
Thanks YA.
How awesome would it be to have a photo of LT wearing 98 for the Giants?

I have one somewhere from training camp at Pace U

I'll try to dig it up

jomo
05-19-2014, 03:06 PM
I guess that has to be Danny Buggs.That would be it. Imagine, not a single catch as a Giant. Interestingly, that was the year that we traded our #1 to Dallas for Craig Morton (ouch) and they selected Randy White with the 2nd overall pick in the draft.

Buggs at #62 overall was our 2nd "best" pick in that draft.

miked1958
05-19-2014, 03:12 PM
I remember him wearing the 98 jersey!!!

miked1958
05-19-2014, 03:18 PM
How ya been Zim? Good to see you around lately.
I remember in 1975 we took a fella by the name of Danny Buggs at WR.. Didn't work out all to well

stan4331
05-19-2014, 03:19 PM
it was definetly Ron Johnson

jomo
05-19-2014, 03:32 PM
I remember in 1975 we took a fella by the name of Danny Buggs at WR.. Didn't work out all to wellThat is him. Zero catches in one and a half seasons qualifies as "didn't work out all too well."
Hell, I had zero catches in '75 - '76 too. :)

jomo
05-19-2014, 03:34 PM
it was definetly Ron JohnsonNot sure what question you are responding to but Johnson is right there with being a top 5 all time Giants running back. I loved his running style.

Morehead State
05-19-2014, 03:48 PM
That is him. Zero catches in one and a half seasons qualifies as "didn't work out all too well."
So your saying that you suck like Danny Buggs?

jomo
05-19-2014, 04:07 PM
So your saying that you suck like Danny Buggs?Well, I guess I do..........
"Virgin Hands" by the way is a pretty darn critical nickname for a guy who is here less than 2 years.
I thought we were tough on new guys! lol

zimonami
05-19-2014, 04:10 PM
That is him. Zero catches in one and a half seasons qualifies as "didn't work out all too well."
NOW I remember you... Knew you seemed familiar... worst draft pick ever... crowd always chanted, "No Mo Jomo."

I didn't see your "lighning Bug" reference in time, or I would have gotten the Bugg man.... another waste.

miked1958
05-19-2014, 04:58 PM
Easy one. He was the most versatile player in Giants history IMO

miked1958
05-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Hint:

he lined up at RB, WR, fullback, halfback, flankerback, split end and tight end. He even played strong safety occasionally, with two interceptions.

Morehead State
05-19-2014, 05:38 PM
Hint:

he lined up at RB, WR, fullback, halfback, flankerback, split end and tight end. He even played strong safety occasionally, with two interceptions.
Well the "most versitile player is a bit vague.
But i would guess Frank Gifford?

miked1958
05-19-2014, 05:57 PM
Well the "most versitile player is a bit vague.
But i would guess Frank Gifford?

Gifford would be another. I did say IMO. Gifford's Career was coming to an end when this players was just getting going

YATittle1962
05-19-2014, 06:11 PM
Hint:

that would be the greatest Giant in the history of Giants

Joe Morrison

miked1958
05-19-2014, 06:36 PM
that would be the greatest Giant in the history of Giants

Joe Morrison
Obviously!!!

miked1958
05-19-2014, 06:37 PM
All the bios I read didn't mention anything About punting or a FG try and even QB for a few snaps but I seem to remember him doing all 3 in a pinch

jomo
05-22-2014, 04:23 PM
Who is the former Giants #1 pick involved in golf course development after football.
His projects include Sebonac on Long Island the site of last year's US Women's Open?

jomo
05-22-2014, 04:34 PM
Alot of the hints on this one will be dead givaways so let me start slowly. He went to high school at South Broward HS in south Florida.

jomo
05-22-2014, 04:39 PM
He had a very successful college career at Auburn.

jomo
05-22-2014, 05:13 PM
This will make it easy.
As the #1 overall pick in the 1965 draft, he signed his first contact for $23,000 in the same year that Joe Namath taken with the 12th pick in the same round signed with the Jets for $427,000. Who was the Giant?

YATittle1962
05-22-2014, 05:17 PM
This will make it easy.
As the #1 overall pick in the 1965 draft, he signed his first contact for $23,000 in the same year that Joe Namath taken with the 12th pick in the same round signed with the Jets for $427,000. Who was the Giant?

thats Tucker Frederickson

YATittle1962
05-22-2014, 05:19 PM
who was taken in round 11 of that same year who ended up being another bright spot on some bad teams ?

if not plagued with injuries he could have been a game changer

jomo
05-22-2014, 05:21 PM
thats Tucker FredericksonThat is it. Now, this one will really be up your alley.

In the history of the Giants they have only had the #1 overall pick in the draft. Frederickson was one of them in 1965. Who was the other?

2 hints: first, everyone knows this player and second he was drafted before Frederickson.

jomo
05-22-2014, 05:23 PM
who was taken in round 11 of that same year who ended up being another bright spot on some bad teams ?

if not plagued with injuries he could have been a game changer.........a big running back. I can see him but the name escapes me.

YATittle1962
05-22-2014, 05:24 PM
That is it. Now, this one will really be up your alley.

In the history of the Giants they have only had the #1 overall pick in the draft. Frederickson was one of them in 1965. Who was the other?

2 hints: first, everyone knows this player and second he was drafted before Frederickson.

ha

easy but before my time

Kyle Rote out of SMU

jomo
05-22-2014, 05:29 PM
ha

easy but before my time

Kyle Rote out of SMU

Way before my time as well. Rote was drafted in 1951, before I was born.

YATittle1962
05-22-2014, 05:44 PM
Way before my time as well. Rote was drafted in 1951, before I was born.

before I was born as well

gfanblue
05-22-2014, 09:00 PM
how does this thread work? Do you just make up a trivia question or what?

jomo
05-22-2014, 09:01 PM
how does this thread work? Do you just make up a trivia question or what?It started so long ago, no one remembers. :)

Actually YA started it in 2009 as a way to bridge us through the off season. You got it right, put a Giants trivia question out there and see where it goes. This thread is all about fun...............

gfanblue
05-22-2014, 10:14 PM
not Koy or Tucker, and my clue was incorrect, was a Giant draft pick in '64 and played 2 seasons in NY, retired in 71.

It started so long ago, no one remembers. :)

Actually YA started it in 2009 as a way to bridge us through the off season. You got it right, put a Giants trivia question out there and see where it goes. This thread is all about fun...............
Well I figured as much. Just didn't know how it was played. Ha

gfanblue
05-22-2014, 10:17 PM
Okay. Here is mine. In 1989 which two players were selected to the probowl? Probably too easy.

zimonami
05-22-2014, 10:29 PM
before I was born as well
But, the 1951 draft was not before zimmy... zimmy was 4 by then.
Kyle used to call my Aunt Jean every Christmas to say hello... They were good friends.
She raved about what a good man he was.

And, the running back in Round 11 was one Ernie Koy out of Texas. He was a versatile back
Along with Steve Thurlow, Ernie Wheelwright and Chuck mercein they were the Baby Bulls... all young and promising

YATittle1962
05-22-2014, 10:34 PM
But, the 1951 draft was not before zimmy... zimmy was 4 by then.
Kyle used to call my Aunt Jean every Christmas to say hello... They were good friends.
She raved about what a good man he was.

And, the running back in Round 11 was one Ernie Koy out of Texas. He was a versatile back
Along with Steve Thurlow, Ernie Wheelwright and Chuck mercein they were the Baby Bulls... all young and promising

right on zim

...and I miss the Aunt Jean stories.... I could sit here and read them all day

zimonami
05-22-2014, 10:35 PM
Okay. Here is mine. In 1989 which two players were selected to the probowl? Probably too easy.
At this time there's always one easy choice... LT.

I'll try Landetta as one. Of course, that choice was obscured by his whiff in the NFC Champiuonship game.

YATittle1962
05-22-2014, 10:35 PM

pretty sure it's Meggett and Taylor

BParcells777
05-22-2014, 10:41 PM
I was going to say Ron Johnson.....and in the early 70's

Who kicked the longest put in the air in Giants history?

and what did Giants fans pelt Ali Sherman with as he entered the tunnel after games at Yankee Stadium?

YATittle1962
05-22-2014, 10:46 PM
what player who was blind in his right eye is very much responsible for the success of Michael Strahan because his blindness is what forced Dan Reeves to switch Strahan into his spot on the left side .... very much to Michaels chagrin

BigBlueAllDay
05-22-2014, 10:50 PM
what player who was blind in his right eye is very much responsible for the success of Michael Strahan because his blindness is what forced Dan Reeves to switch Strahan into his spot on the left side .... very much to Michaels chagrin

Cedric Jones?

YATittle1962
05-22-2014, 10:51 PM
Cedric Jones?

nailed it

Morehead State
05-22-2014, 10:51 PM
Had to be Cedric Jones.

BigBlueAllDay
05-22-2014, 10:52 PM
Had to be Cedric Jones.

He was/had to be mentioned a couple of days ago while there was a thread of Ny Giants No. 1 draft busts.

zimonami
05-22-2014, 10:55 PM
Meggett!!! I forgot him... I try to forget his post career antics and simply remember what excellent it was to watch him... running, receiving out of the backfield, and as a return man. Not quite as crazy as Leon Brite, but damned fearless.

Aunt Jean... my favorite memory was after her stroke and her memory was kaput. It's a rainy Sunday in July, 1990, a year before she died. So I say, Aunt Jean, let me put our '86 Superbowl on the VCR.
"Oh, are we playing today?"
"No, it's the '86 Superbowl... i'll put it on."
"Oh, we're playing in the Superbowl today?"
The whole game she thought it was live, and she kept asking who we were playing.
She was so excited at the end when we won, and she still thought it was live.
So, she got to enjoy our first SB victory 2 X.

In '86, when shw was OK, and everyone is yelling and screaming when we won that SB, she's dabbing her eyes with a handkerchief, crying, so filled with pride. She suffered mightily in the bad years, taking it too personally that her team was playing bad. She hated Sherman with a passion, blaming him entirely for dismantling the team that she loved.

zimonami
05-22-2014, 10:55 PM
Meggett!!! I forgot him... I try to forget his post career antics and simply remember what excellent it was to watch him... running, receiving out of the backfield, and as a return man. Not quite as crazy as Leon Brite, but damned fearless.

Aunt Jean... my favorite memory was after her stroke and her memory was kaput. It's a rainy Sunday in July, 1990, a year before she died. So I say, Aunt Jean, let me put our '86 Superbowl on the VCR.
The whole game she thought it was live, and she kept asking who we were playing.

In '86, when shw was OK, and everyone is yelling and screaming when we won that SB, she's dabbing her eyes with a handkerchief, crying, so filled with pride. She suffered mightily in the bad years, taking it too personally that her team was playing bad. She hated Sherman with a passion, blaming him entirely for dismantling the team that she loved.

jomo
05-22-2014, 10:57 PM
Had to be Cedric Jones.He wasn't just our #1 pick boys and girls, he was the fifth player overall taken in that draft!

YATittle1962
05-22-2014, 10:58 PM

bless her soul

and I share her sentiments of Allie

jomo
05-22-2014, 10:58 PM
What Giants RB carried the nickname BT Express?

Morehead State
05-22-2014, 10:59 PM
He wasn't just our #1 pick boys and girls, he was the fifth player overall taken in that draft!
and if memory serves me (which it often doesn't) everyone knew he was legally blind when they drafted him.

BigBlueAllDay

Thanks for sharing that touching memory. Yea, that first Superbowl probably brought a lot of relief and joy for a ton of NY Giants fans back then that had to live through the dark ages of the team's history.

jomo
and if memory serves me (which it often doesn't) everyone knew he was legally blind when they drafted him.Yes they did, STILL SMH.

Morehead State
05-22-2014, 11:00 PM
What Giants RB carried the nickname BT Express?
I'm going to guess Billy Taylor.

jomo
05-22-2014, 11:01 PM
What Giants draft pick also played for the Rams before turning to a career in acting.

Hint: he was a speed rushing DE

jomo
05-22-2014, 11:02 PM
I'm going to guess Billy Taylor.That's it MS.

Morehead State
05-22-2014, 11:07 PM
That's it MS.
Complete guess. He's the only back I can remember with those initials.

I remember 1 good game vs. Washington when he ran the clock out with a lot of nice runs at the end of the game.

Other than that............not too much.

Aufidius
05-22-2014, 11:07 PM
What Giants draft pick also played for the Rams before turning to a career in acting.

Bubba Smith.

zimonami
05-22-2014, 11:11 PM

Fred Dryer. He hated it here in NY and I think he wanted us to trade him to the Rams.

jomo
05-22-2014, 11:13 PM
Fred Dryer. He hated it here in NY and I think he wanted us to trade him to the Rams.That's it Zim. I think he was a free spirit who loved the surfer life style he found in LaLa land.

Morehead State
05-22-2014, 11:14 PM
Who rushed for more than 100 yards in his first game after being traded to the Giants?

Hint....I was at that game and my son was born the next day.

BParcells777
05-22-2014, 11:20 PM
Who rushed for more than 100 yards in his first game after being traded to the Giants?

Brandon Jacobs?

Morehead State
05-22-2014, 11:22 PM
Brandon Jacobs?
No He wasn't traded here

BParcells777
05-22-2014, 11:24 PM
Who hung his college roommate out of his dorm window by the ankles? Hint he also pushed Parcells in the back for not putting him in the game

gfanblue
05-23-2014, 12:21 AM

Yeah..I should've asked in what year were a player from offense and defense selected.

zimonami
05-23-2014, 12:57 AM
Who hung his college roommate out of his dorm window by the ankles? Hint he also pushed Parcells in the back for not putting him in the game
Guess... LT

jomo
05-23-2014, 11:09 AM
Name the Giants head coach connected to each of these clues (easiest to hardest)

1. A dictionary

2. Petrified remains of pre-historic animal

3. Chicken of the Sea

4. Vital part of our WWII ground attack

5. A character on Gilligan's Island

6. When Jeremy can't clear his throat.

jwhorner6
05-23-2014, 11:21 AM
Name the Giants head coach connected to each of these clues (easiest to hardest)

1. A dictionary

2. Petrified remains of pre-historic animal

3. Chicken of the Sea

4. Vital part of our WWII ground attack

5. A character on Gilligan's Island

6. When Jeremy can't clear his throat.

1. Alex Webster

2. Jim Fossell

3. Bill Parcells

4. Allie Sherman

5. Jim Lee Howell

6. Coughlin

jwhorner6
05-23-2014, 11:25 AM

Ottis Anderson?

jomo
05-23-2014, 11:30 AM
1. Alex Webster

2. Jim Fossell

3. Bill Parcells

4. Allie Sherman

5. Jim Lee Howell

6. CoughlinNailed every one!

Morehead State
05-23-2014, 11:45 AM
That was pretty good Jomo.
Lets do it for former or current Giants....

1. Needs to be removed

2. Can't we all just get along?

3. Already written

4. Here's Johnny!

5. Nordic warmth

6. Astaire's kid

Morehead State
05-23-2014, 11:46 AM
Ottis Anderson?
No

Hint: October 11, 1981.

jomo
05-23-2014, 12:01 PM

1. Needs to be removed

3. Already written

4. Here's Johnny!

5. Nordic warmth

6. Astaire's kidThese are tough MS. I guess #2 would be Rodney Hampton?

Morehead State
05-23-2014, 12:04 PM
These are tough MS. I guess #2 would be Rodney Hampton?
Rodney is right. I don't think they are that tough. But I have a twisted mind.

jwhorner6
05-23-2014, 12:08 PM
No

Hint: October 11, 1981.

Rob Carpenter lol, never would have guessed that one.

jwhorner6
05-23-2014, 12:11 PM

1. Needs to be removed

3. Already written

4. Here's Johnny!

5. Nordic warmth

6. Astaire's kid

So jomo got #2 as Rodney Hampton...only one I can guess on right now is number 6 being Kareem McKenzie??

EDIT: #4 Harry Carson?

Morehead State
05-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Rob Carpenter lol, never would have guessed that one.
And he did it all in the second half.
I drove home to Western Mass, from the game, got there about 1 AM and my father-in -law met me at the door and told me that my wife was at the hospital getting ready to give birth.

Morehead State
05-23-2014, 12:13 PM
So jomo got #2 as Rodney Hampton...only one I can guess on right now is number 6 being Kareem McKenzie??

EDIT: #4 Harry Carson?
Harry Carson is right. #6 is wrong.

jomo
05-23-2014, 12:16 PM
Harry Carson is right. #6 is wrong.

Astair had a kid named Fred Jr but we didn't have anyone named Junior like Junior Seau.

Is it Fred Dryer because it kinda rhymes with Fred Junior?

Morehead State
05-23-2014, 12:30 PM
No to Fred Dryer.
You are overlooking the obvious.

jomo
05-23-2014, 12:39 PM
No to Fred Dryer.
You are overlooking the obvious.Duh! Tucker Frederickson