PDA

View Full Version : DID YOU KNOW??

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54

zimonami
06-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Name the seven (7) RB's who have gained 1,000 yds in a season for the GMen since 1970.
Ron Johnson, Rob Carpinter, Joe Morris, Rodney Hampton, Tiki Barber, Brandon Jacobs, Derrik Ward

Oops not Carpenter.....O J Anderson

wow how did I miss all that?

nice job jints.......good question to Zim......

and carpenters question to.....would have loved to answer that one.....

in the 2002 NFL draft.......the Giants had the 15th pick in the first round...

the Raiders were after Shockey and were trying to trade up to 14 to get him because they new Accorsi wanted him........

Ernie wanted Shockey so bad that he ended up trading a 4th round pick just to move up one spot so he could secure Shockey.......

who was the team that originally held the 14th pick ......?

</P>

We swapped our 1st round, 15th pick, and our 4th round pick, to Tennessee for their 1st round, 14th pick. They picked Albert Haynesworth with the pick after we took Shockey.</P>

rbcarpenter
06-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Name the seven (7) RB's who have gained 1,000 yds in a season for the GMen since 1970.ron johnson,joe morris,oj anderson,rodney hampton,gary brown,tiki barber,brandon jacobs,derrick ward.

SEC105
06-30-2009, 04:43 PM
What years did Rodney "Hot Rod" Hampton rush for over 1000 yards. He was agood RB although his career was some what short.</P>

I see you guys remembered who danced @ midfield after our SB 21 victory over the Broncos [Pepper Johnson and William Roberts] The song that was playing was "New York , New York"[:D]</P>

Z</P>

</P>

jints10
06-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Name the seven (7) RB's who have gained 1,000 yds in a season for the GMen since 1970.ron johnson,joe morris,oj anderson,rodney hampton,gary brown,tiki barber,brandon jacobs,derrick ward.

Wow I had completely forgot about Gary Brown.

SEC105
06-30-2009, 05:15 PM

Wow I had completely forgot about Gary Brown.
</P>

Gary Brown was a good free agent pick up. What happened to him.................injury?</P>

YATittle1962
06-30-2009, 05:22 PM
What years did Rodney "Hot Rod" Hampton rush for over 1000 yards. He was agood RB although his career was some what short.</p>

I see you guys remembered who danced @ midfield after our SB 21 victory over the Broncos [Pepper Johnson and William Roberts] The song that was playing was "New York , New York"[:D]</p>

Z</p>

</p>

I think Rodney broke a thousand every year but his first and last....didnt he?

SEC105
06-30-2009, 05:33 PM
What years did Rodney "Hot Rod" Hampton rush for over 1000 yards. He was agood RB although his career was some what short.</P>

I see you guys remembered who danced @ midfield after our SB 21 victory over the Broncos [Pepper Johnson and William Roberts] The song that was playing was "New York , New York"[:D]</P>

Z</P>

</P>

</P>

Yup 5 years in a row .......91-95.......Amazing stat when you think about it</P>

When The giants beat the Broncos in 98 to ruin their perfect season [ the "Amani Catch"] we sacked Elway 3 times </P>

. Maybe the most he was sacked in a single game that season. Who were the 3 who sacked Elway?</P>

Z</P>

YATittle1962
06-30-2009, 05:37 PM
What years did Rodney "Hot Rod" Hampton rush for over 1000 yards. He was agood RB although his career was some what short.</p>

I see you guys remembered who danced @ midfield after our SB 21 victory over the Broncos [Pepper Johnson and William Roberts] The song that was playing was "New York , New York"[:D]</p>

Z</p>

</p>

</p>

Yup 5 years in a row .......91-95.......Amazing stat when you think about it</p>

When The giants beat the Broncos in 98 to ruin their perfect season [ the "Amani Catch"] we sacked Elway 3 times </p>

. Maybe the most he was sacked in a single game that season. Who were the 3 who sacked Elway?</p>

Z</p>

great question......and a great game.......i can close my eyes an im back there.....

I think I have 2 of the 3....

Strahan.....Chad Bratzke........and.........??????????...drawing a blank..........HEY ZIMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

napier23
06-30-2009, 05:39 PM

Z</P>

</P>

</P>

1990455yds</P>

1991 1059yds</P>

1992 1141yds</P>

1993 1077yds</P>

1994 1075yds</P>

1995 1182yds</P>

1996 827yds</P>

1997 81yds</P>

big drop off in 97, you prob forgot he played that year.</P>

</P>

SEC105
06-30-2009, 05:39 PM

Z</P>

</P>

</P>

Yup 5 years in a row .......91-95.......Amazing stat when you think about it</P>

When The giants beat the Broncos in 98 to ruin their perfect season [ the "Amani Catch"] we sacked Elway 3 times </P>

. Maybe the most he was sacked in a single game that season. Who were the 3 who sacked Elway?</P>

Z</P>

great question......and a great game.......i can close my eyes an im back there.....

Strahan.....Chad Bratzke........and.........??????????...drawing a blank..........HEY ZIMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
</P>

Thats 2 out of 3 no hints just yet enter Z</P>

Z</P>

YATittle1962
06-30-2009, 05:43 PM

Z</p>

</p>

</p>

Yup 5 years in a row .......91-95.......Amazing stat when you think about it</p>

When The giants beat the Broncos in 98 to ruin their perfect season [ the "Amani Catch"] we sacked Elway 3 times </p>

. Maybe the most he was sacked in a single game that season. Who were the 3 who sacked Elway?</p>

Z</p>

</p>

Thats 2 out of 3 no hints just yet enter Z</p>

Z</p>

wow i cant believe how much of an absolute blank im drawing.....

and i dont want to look it up.......

was it Armstead? total guess

napier23
06-30-2009, 05:51 PM

Z</P>

</P>

</P>

1990455yds</P>

1991 1059yds</P>

1992 1141yds</P>

1993 1077yds</P>

1994 1075yds</P>

1995 1182yds</P>

1996 827yds</P>

1997 81yds</P>

big drop off in 97, you prob forgot he played that year.</P>

</P>

jints10
06-30-2009, 05:56 PM

Z</p>

</p>

</p>

Z</p>

</p>

Thats 2 out of 3 no hints just yet enter Z</p>

Z</p>

Just a guess but was the last guy Kieth Hamilton?

rbcarpenter
06-30-2009, 06:00 PM
What years did Rodney "Hot Rod" Hampton rush for over 1000 yards.*** He was a*good RB although his career was some what short.</p>

I see you guys remembered who danced @ midfield after our SB 21 victory over the Broncos* [Pepper Johnson and William Roberts] The song that was playing was "New York , New York"[:D]</p>

Z</p>

*</p>

</p>

Z</p>

</p>

Thats 2 out of* 3******** no hints just yet********* enter Z</p>

Z</p>

was it Armstead?** total guess
how about conrad hamilton on a corner blitz?

SEC105
06-30-2009, 06:19 PM

Z</P>

</P>

</P>

Z</P>

</P>

Z</P>

how about conrad hamilton on a corner blitz?</P>

Wow nice , Conrad Hamilton it was </P>

same game ...........we get the ball down to the Denver 1 yard and Gary Brown plunges toward the goaline but fumbles. When was the last time he had fumbled and who recovered the ball for Denver?</P>

Z</P>

zimonami
06-30-2009, 06:26 PM

Z</P>

</P>

</P>

Z</P>

</P>

</P>

I'll say Bratzke, Keith Hamilton and Armstead. </P>

I think Bratzke led us in sacks that year. I hated to see him go to Indy... he was one of those guys that always gave 100% effort.</P>

zimonami
06-30-2009, 06:31 PM

Z</P>

</P>

</P>

Z</P>

</P>

</P>

I'll say Bratzke, Keith Hamilton and Armstead. </P>

I think Bratzke led us in sacks that year. I hated to see him go to Indy... he was one of those guys that always gave 100% effort.</P>

</P>

Wow, I hate to differ with myself, but excuse me for the stupidity. I believe Bratzke was second in sacks that year to Mr. Strahan. Plus, I see that Strahan and Bratzke were already namjed as 2 of those 3 sackers on Elway... so I can only guess that it was Hammer or Armstead for the third.</P>

zimonami
06-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Name the seven (7) RB's who have gained 1,000 yds in a season for the GMen since 1970.ron johnson,joe morris,oj anderson,rodney hampton,gary brown,tiki barber,brandon jacobs,derrick ward.</P>

Good job on Gary Brown, rbc. He only played with us in '98 and '99, and then I think he retired. He started his career around '90-'91 with the Houston Oilers, so for a running back 9-10 seasons is actually a lot.</P>

zimonami
06-30-2009, 08:15 PM

Z</P>

</P>

</P>

Z</P>

</P>

Z</P>

how about conrad hamilton on a corner blitz?</P>

Wow nice , Conrad Hamilton it was </P>

same game ...........we get the ball down to the Denver 1 yard and Gary Brown plunges toward the goaline but fumbles. When was the last time he had fumbled and who recovered the ball for Denver?</P>

Z</P>

</P>

This is a really hard one, but then I figure there's a method to your madness... so, I'll say the last time Brown fumbled was the previous year, 1997, when he played for Detroit and he fumbled against the Giants in a game we won in OT.</P>

Then, right now I can only remember two Denver defensive players from 1998... Seth Joyner and Bill Romanowski, so I'll have to guess Romo recovered Brown's fumble.</P>

SEC105
06-30-2009, 09:32 PM
It was Romanowski who recovered it Z. One tough guy he was. As to the last time he fumbled [Gary Brown] someone told me it was like 4 years before that game against the Broncos. I have'nt been able to verify it but I believe it to be true.............. Little help on this fact

zimonami
06-30-2009, 10:34 PM
It was Romanowski who recovered it Z. One tough guy he was. As to the last time he fumbled [Gary Brown] someone told me it was like 4 years before that game against the Broncos. I have'nt been able to verify it but I believe it to be true.............. Little help on this fact</P>

So, I looked G. Brown up. Played 5 years with Oilers, then 1 with Chargers (NOT Detroit as I had remembered), and then 2 years with us. He only fumbled that 1 time against the Broncos in 1998... pretty good. He did fumble 2 times while with the Chargers in 1997. Since the Chargers play the Broncos 2X each year, it's likely that he fumbled against the Broncs in '97. Still, a very dependable carrier. In his 3rd year with the Oilers he averaged 5.1 YPC... that's really good, too.</P>

YATittle1962
07-01-2009, 12:31 AM
in that 98 Denver game....Elway threw no TDs and one pick.....

who picked off Elway?

one of my favorite Giants of that era........

zimonami
07-01-2009, 01:14 AM

who picked off Elway?

</P>

Pretty sure it was Shaun Williams,.. I liked him, too. No fear, hard hitting guy.</P>

This game has gotten a lot of cover today. Itis one of my most memorable games with that last TD from Graham to Amani. That was probably the best moment of Graham's career.</P>

YATittle1962
07-01-2009, 12:24 PM

who picked off Elway?

</p>

Pretty sure it was Shaun Williams,.. I liked him, too. No fear, hard hitting guy.</p>

This game has gotten a lot of cover today. Itis one of my most memorable games with that last TD from Graham to Amani. That was probably the best moment of Graham's career.</p>

yup Shaun Williams.....

he reminded me of Ronnie Lott.....like a LB in the secondary........

that was without a doubt the best moment of Grahams career.....he didnt have many good moments

rbcarpenter
07-01-2009, 02:14 PM
YA,imho,that was the ONLY moment of his career!lol!ok, got one for you-again,81 season finale.one of our rookie LB's forced a turnover in OT to help win the game.who was he,what was his uniform#?

YATittle1962
07-01-2009, 03:26 PM
YA,imho,that was the ONLY moment of his career!lol!ok, got one for you-again,81 season finale.one of our rookie LB's forced a turnover in OT to help win the game.who was he,what was his uniform#?

pretty sure it was Byron Hunt # 57

who i think also had a pick in that game

in that same season the Giants beat the Eagles for the first time since .....?

who picked off Jaworski to seal that victory on that cold Nov. day in Phili.?

zimonami
07-01-2009, 05:35 PM

pretty sure it was Byron Hunt # 57

who i think also had a pick in that game

in that same season the Giants beat the Eagles for the first time since .....?

who picked off Jaworski to seal that victory on that cold Nov. day in Phili.?

</P>

good question rbc - I think YA is totally correct on the Hunt forced turnover, and I do remember he had a big INT that game.</P>

Which reminds me that '81 was one of my all time favorite Giant Drafts. Of course, there was LT. That alone made it successful. But, we got Mistler, Bill Neill, Ard in round 8, and Hunt in round 9. Hunt and Ard turned out to be great late round picks.</P>

Now, YA, you have to bring back sore memories? Arrrgh! Up until that Philly victory we lost the first game that year, '81.... were 0-2 in '80, 0-2 in '79, 0-2 in '78, 0-2 in '77, 0-2 in '76, and we beat them the last time in '75, the year before the new Stadium opened. What a depressing time. I am eternally grateful that these message boards didn't exist back then. Can you imagine the Philly trolls coming on here to mock us? Imagine, 11 losses in a row to those bird turds? </P>

I'm going to say VanPelt with the pick against Jawarski. My second choice would be Kelley. We still had Spider then, but he was not the great Spider of his earlier years.</P>

Nice questions, regardless of the pain of having to remember that somber stretch.</P>

zimonami
07-01-2009, 05:40 PM
This thread keeps rolling along quietly, and has brought a lot of fun. I was checking out "Asian giant for HC" and realized that we only need to compile another 3,070 pages to catch up to that thread. Full steam ahead...lol

SEC105
07-01-2009, 05:56 PM
This thread keeps rolling along quietly, and has brought a lot of fun. I was checking out "Asian giant for HC" and realized that we only need to compile another 3,070 pages to catch up to that thread. Full steam ahead...lol</P>

LOL on that one Z..............we may have to work some weekends to catch up to "Asian Giant For Head Coach"[;)]</P>

I agree with Byron Hunt answer for finale against Dallas in 81</P>

How about Beasley Reese as towho picked off Jaworski down in Philly? Thats my guess...............it was the first time we beat them since Arnsbarger was coach and I think he beat Philly only once during his time 1975 [or so]</P>

YATittle1962
07-01-2009, 06:04 PM
This thread keeps rolling along quietly, and has brought a lot of fun. I was checking out "Asian giant for HC" and realized that we only need to compile another 3,070 pages to catch up to that thread. Full steam ahead...lol</p>

LOL on that one Z..............we may have to work some weekends to catch up to "Asian Giant For Head Coach"[;)]</p>

I agree with Byron Hunt answer for finale against Dallas in 81</p>

How about Beasley Reese as towho picked off Jaworski down in Philly? Thats my guess...............it was the first time we beat them since Arnsbarger was coach and I think he beat Philly only once during his time 1975 [or so]</p>

1975 is right but the interceptor was Terry Jackson

SEC105
07-01-2009, 06:26 PM
This thread keeps rolling along quietly, and has brought a lot of fun. I was checking out "Asian giant for HC" and realized that we only need to compile another 3,070 pages to catch up to that thread. Full steam ahead...lol</P>

LOL on that one Z..............we may have to work some weekends to catch up to "Asian Giant For Head Coach"[;)]</P>

I agree with Byron Hunt answer for finale against Dallas in 81</P>

How about Beasley Reese as towho picked off Jaworski down in Philly? Thats my guess...............it was the first time we beat them since Arnsbarger was coach and I think he beat Philly only once during his time 1975 [or so]</P>

1975 is right but the interceptor was Terry Jackson
</P>

Terry Jackson now that you mention it I do recall</P>

Who's passing record did Simms [22 of 25] surpasspercentage wise in SB 21? This is for Super Bowls only up to that date Jan 1987. Name the QB he passed and who he played for</P>

Z</P>

Roswell777
07-01-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm going to guess Kenny Anderson on the Bengals in their first SB.

He was a high % guy and i think he completed a boat load to Trumpy.

I'm still working on that Conrad Hamilton question...wow.

zimonami
07-01-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm going to guess Kenny Anderson on the Bengals in their first SB.

He was a high % guy and i think he completed a boat load to Trumpy.

I'm still working on that Conrad Hamilton question...wow.

</P>

I was gonna guess Montana, Ros, but when I read your answer I thought you were probably right. Geez, Anderson was accurate... great short game passer. I think Bill Walsh was his QB coach inhis early years, and taught him to runan earlywest coast offense.I wish Eli were that accurate.</P>

rbcarpenter
07-01-2009, 10:37 PM
you fellows were right on both counts,hunt in 81 with the int in ot,and simms breaking andersons record.man,you guys are tough!lol!let me think...........ok,here's one for you.in 1980[i think],we picked up a wr off waivers and in his first 2 games got more than 100 yrds in each.who was he,and who cut him,AND,what happened to him?i'll check back later.gotta lay down .this replacement disc surgery hurts more than i thought it would.

zimonami
07-02-2009, 01:31 AM
you fellows were right on both counts,hunt in 81 with the int in ot,and simms breaking andersons record.man,you guys are tough!lol!let me think...........ok,here's one for you.in 1980[i think],we picked up a wr off waivers and in his first 2 games got more than 100 yrds in each.who was he,and who cut him,AND,what happened to him?i'll check back later.gotta lay down .this replacement disc surgery hurts more than i thought it would.</P>

geezuz, rbc, this is a tough one... not even something you can look up. We had a guy named Danny Pittmanfrom 1980 to 1983. He flashed some good stuff his first year, butdidn't playmuch after that, then he went to the Cardinals. I guess that Parcells was the one to cut him, if he stayed to '83.</P>

Replacement disc surgery? What's the disc made of? I've had (3) major back operations... at 30, 40, and 50. The last one I got 6 screws and 2 posts and spinal fusion. Good luck with that. Learn from my mistakes.... you MUST do your therapy, plus walking is the single best thing you can do. Keep the stomach strong... it is the anchor for the back (unless it was a disc in your neck...lol)</P>

Roswell777
07-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Believe it or not, I'm a chiropractor, so to answer your question, the disc is made up of a fibrous outside called the annulus fibrosis and a liquid inside called the nucleus propulsus. It's sort of like that gum with the liquid center. If the outside cracks and the liquid gets out (herniates) and presses on a spinal nerve, that's when the pain really gets rough. You can't get the toothpaste back in the tube so, at times, surgery can be indicated.

It can also be rough if the disc itself presses on the spinal nerve without the liquid center escaping. For some cases surgery is your only option and for some you can be more conservative.

Sorry to get off topic but sometimes we in the health field are guilty of not explaining the situation and the patients deserve to know.

zimonami
07-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Believe it or not, I'm a chiropractor, so to answer your question, the disc is made up of a fibrous outside called the annulus fibrosis and a liquid inside called the nucleus propulsus. It's sort of like that gum with the liquid center. If the outside cracks and the liquid gets out (herniates) and presses on a spinal nerve, that's when the pain really gets rough. You can't get the toothpaste back in the tube so, at times, surgery can be indicated. It can also be rough if the disc itself presses on the spinal nerve without the liquid center escaping. For some cases surgery is your only option and for some you can be more conservative. Sorry to get off topic but sometimes we in the health field are guilty of not explaining the situation and the patients deserve to know.</P>

TY, Ros, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm a Chem E with 14 years of R&amp;D and Sales experience in plastics. I'm always curious as to what resins have been successful in replacing human body parts. Don't know how long you've been a Chiropractor but you are, fortunately, in an era where they have greater respect from typical physicians. Backbefore the 60's and 70's they were viewed as non-effective and non-essential quacks. When I developed neck problems my doctor actually recommended a Chiropractor which, to me, was a breath of fresh air, coming from a doctor and realizing he had real respect for their capabilities.</P>

YATittle1962
07-02-2009, 01:04 PM
you fellows were right on both counts,hunt in 81 with the int in ot,and simms breaking andersons record.man,you guys are tough!lol!let me think...........ok,here's one for you.in 1980[i think],we picked up a wr off waivers and in his first 2 games got more than 100 yrds in each.who was he,and who cut him,AND,what happened to him?i'll check back later.gotta lay down .this replacement disc surgery hurts more than i thought it would.

I know we got Mike Friede from the Lions ..i think it was the Lions anyway......

could it be him.....I dont remember him having 100 yd games though

and we got Mullady from the Bills......dont remember him having big games either....

Im thinking it might be Friede you are talking about though.......

not sure what happened to him...injury?

ill guess Perkins cut him

tough one

jints10
07-02-2009, 03:59 PM
I got one:

Who was the first team to go undefeated in the NFC East.? (NO LOSSES)

Who was the coach?

Who was the QB?

SEC105
07-02-2009, 04:18 PM
I got one:

Who was the first team to go undefeated in the NFC East.? (NO LOSSES)

Who was the coach?

Who was the QB?
</P>

Fassels first year 1997 we went undefeated in the NFC east but we had 1 tie I believe. Dave Brown [yes that Dave Brown] started the season but I think Danny Kanel played the majority of the year.</P>

Yes Ken Anderson of the Bengals was the QB whom Simms beat his passing completion record in SB 21 [22of 25] Always thought Anderson was underated</P>

Z</P>

YATittle1962
07-02-2009, 05:16 PM

I know we got Mike Friede from the Lions ..i think it was the Lions anyway......

and we got Mullady from the Bills......dont remember him having big games either....

tough one

rbc hurry back brother I gotta know the answer to this

SEC105
07-02-2009, 06:03 PM

tough one

</P>

Sure sounds like Mike Friede but I'm not positive. Perkins wasn't exactly a player favorite if you get my drift</P>

When was our first win @ Giants stadium and what opposingHead Coach did we beat for the first time in that game?</P>

Z</P>

YATittle1962
07-02-2009, 06:11 PM

tough one

</p>

Sure sounds like Mike Friede but I'm not positive. Perkins wasn't exactly a player favorite if you get my drift</p>

When was our first win @ Giants stadium and what opposingHead Coach did we beat for the first time in that game?</p>

Z</p>

boy was it great to beat George Allen and the Skins that day.....

finally a win........

what Giants trainer taped the ankles of both Ole MIss QBs....Charlie Conerly and Eli Manning....?

SEC105
07-02-2009, 06:22 PM

tough one

</P>

Sure sounds like Mike Friede but I'm not positive. Perkins wasn't exactly a player favorite if you get my drift</P>

When was our first win @ Giants stadium and what opposingHead Coach did we beat for the first time in that game?</P>

Z</P>

finally a win........

what Giants trainer taped the ankles of both Ole MIss QBs....Charlie Conerly and Eli Manning....?

</P>

Good call on George Allen and the Skins</P>

I think I know who the trainer is but I'll see if anone else gets it. Did he havethe samelast name as of one of our Presidents of the United States?</P>

How did we obtain OTBrad Benson?</P>

Z</P>

YATittle1962
07-02-2009, 06:27 PM

tough one

</p>

Sure sounds like Mike Friede but I'm not positive. Perkins wasn't exactly a player favorite if you get my drift</p>

When was our first win @ Giants stadium and what opposingHead Coach did we beat for the first time in that game?</p>

Z</p>

finally a win........

</p>

Good call on George Allen and the Skins</p>

I think I know who the trainer is but I'll see if anone else gets it. Did he havethe samelast name as of one of our Presidents of the United States?</p>

How did we obtain OTBrad Benson?</p>

Z</p>

yes on the last name....

didnt we acquire him from NE somehow.....cant really remember the stipulations

rbcarpenter
07-02-2009, 06:52 PM
you were correct again,YA!it was mike freide.aquired him off waivers late in the season,originally a draft choice of the lions that year.devastatitng knee injury in his third game with us.was cut the folling year when he just couldnt overcome the injury,either last cuts in pre-season,or early after the season started.damn,you,re good!!!

zimonami
07-02-2009, 06:57 PM
YA, I know you're right on the Benson answer. He was an 8th rnd draft selection of NE and was cut in camp, so the Gmen picked him up. Good call on Friede, too.

YATittle1962
07-02-2009, 10:00 PM
one week when Feagles was listed as questionable what punter did Accorsi have in the wings ready to go in case Feagles was out?

this guy made $47,000 to just be ready and not even suit up.....Feagles ended up ready to go......

I think the trainer that taped both Charlie Conerly and Eli Manning question is still out there......

rbcarpenter
07-02-2009, 10:03 PM
was it sean landeta?

YATittle1962
07-02-2009, 10:04 PM
was it sean landeta?

you are right on the money rbc......

any idea about the trainer?

rbcarpenter
07-03-2009, 01:12 AM
was it sean landeta?

no idea,ya.

riot
07-03-2009, 01:16 AM
that the giants were the first nfl team that was spelled G-I-A-N-T-S

zimonami
07-03-2009, 01:41 AM
was it sean landeta?

</P>

I just can't remember, YA. I tried to look it up and in one of the articles they mentioned him but, oddly, didn'tgive his name. Yet, I did read a nice article about Charlie which is very worth while. Those 50's Giants were a super bunch. How many people know that they all lived in the same hotel for the whole season? </P>

http://www.coachwyatt.com/CharlieConerly.pdf</P>

</P>

Roswell777
07-03-2009, 08:43 AM
YA, was the trainer you are talking about was the 90 year old guy they were talking about during SB42 that was retiring and he was on the sidelines? SB42 was his last game? I don't remember his name but he went out in style.

Here's one for you guys. Simms won his first career start against what team? And for 100 bonus points, which running back on the Giants rushed for 140+ yards that day?

Happy holidays to you all, I'm heading to Long Beach Island, my friend's got a place there. Not sure I'll be able to check in but I know you guys will get this one.

jakegibbs
07-03-2009, 09:35 AM
YA, was the trainer you are talking about was the 90 year old guy they were talking about during SB42 that was retiring and he was on the sidelines? SB42 was his last game? I don't remember his name but he went out in style. Here's one for you guys. Simms won his first career start against what team? And for 100 bonus points, which running back on the Giants rushed for 140+ yards that day? Happy holidays to you all, I'm heading to Long Beach Island, my friend's got a place there. Not sure I'll be able to check in but I know you guys will get this one.</P>

NYG greatest QB not voted in hall of fame is? You guessed it...</P>

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Conerly served four years with the Marines in the Pacific theater during World War II, achieving the rank of corporal. It was an experience that affected him deeply. "He hardly ever talked about the war," longtime roomate Frank Gifford told Dave Anderson of The New York Times*, "but he was in <SPAN style="COLOR: windowtext">a few island invasions</SPAN> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Guam_%281944%29). He once had his rifle shot out of his hands."

After beginning his collegiate career at the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceType w:st="on">University</st1:PlaceType> of <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Mississippi</st1:PlaceName></st1:place> in 1942, Conerly returned to campus after the war a different man and a different player. He earned All-SEC honors as a single-wing tailback in his first year as a starter, 1946. One year later he'd be selected to the All-America team and finish fourth in the <SPAN style="COLOR: windowtext">Heisman Trophy voting</SPAN> (http://www.heisman.com/winners/j-lujack47.html) after setting NCAA single-season records for completions (133), passing yards (1,367) and consecutive passes without an interception (61) while leading the Rebels to their first bowl birth in twelve seasons and their first Southeastern Conference title in school history.</SPAN></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">At the time of his retirement, Conerly held the franchise records for career touchdown passes (173), completions (1,418), passing yards (19,488) and passing attempts (2,833).* Today, forty-seven years after he played his last game, Conerly still ranks second only to <SPAN style="COLOR: windowtext">Phil Simms</SPAN> (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3149/2634145205_ce825d53c5_o.jpg) in both career passing yards and touchdown passes. Despite having thrown 1,814 more career passes than Conerly, Simms only threw twenty-six more touchdown passes than "Chuckin'" Charley did over his fourteen years in blue.</SPAN></P><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">

<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">"Charley is the best player who is not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame," Mara said shortly after Conerly’s death. "He has better numbers than some quarterbacks who are there." <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">"When I got in, I was embarrassed to be there when Charley wasn't," Gifford added</SPAN></P><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">And beyond that, Conerly's rugged play earned him a reputation throughout the league for being one of its toughest competitors. <o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">"He played one whole season, '52 or '53, with a shoulder separation," said Gifford.<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"></SPAN></SPAN><o:p><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Years later, another Ole Miss quarterback by the name of Eli Manning would twice win the <SPAN style="COLOR: windowtext">Conerly Trophy</SPAN> (http://www.mpbonline.org/television/program-archive/conerly-trophy/images/trophy.jpg) (2001, 2003), awarded each year to <SPAN style="COLOR: windowtext">the best college football player in the state of Mississippi</SPAN> (http://www.msfame.com/sevents_conerly.html), before leading Conerly's New York Giants to a championship of his own.

Still a baby-faced twenty-seven-year-old, Manning, too, knows a thing or two about <SPAN style="COLOR: windowtext">playing with a separated shoulder</SPAN> (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3013266). Through four seasons as the Giants starter he has proven himself to be one of the most durable quarterbacks in the league, having not missed a single start in that span despite being sacked ninety-three times. But unlike Conerly, whose stare was possessed of an intensity that could melt a glacier, Eli's going to have to work a bit on selling his "<SPAN style="COLOR: windowtext">serious face</SPAN> (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3140/2635221636_b0f77490a0_o.jpg)." He's significantly more believable when he goes to his trademark "<SPAN style="COLOR: windowtext">aw shucks face</SPAN> (http://www.hotstovenewyork.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/eli_week2.jpg)". Heck, anything's more believable than his "<SPAN style="COLOR: windowtext">tough guy face</SPAN> (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3117/2635990962_4f58d8d989_o.jpg)."

Give the kid some time, though. Conerly was just a rookie when he was Eli's age (or was he?), and it didn't take long for him to go from <SPAN style="COLOR: windowtext">this</SPAN> (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3006/2634412351_1a2bbfa9a5_o.jpg) to <SPAN style="COLOR: windowtext">this</SPAN> (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3276/2635235352_bc10a5fa38_o.jpg). A few more rollercoaster seasons in <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New York</st1:place></st1:State> and who knows? In five years Eli might look like <SPAN style="COLOR: windowtext">Brett Favre</SPAN> (http://www.squibkick.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/brett-favre-smiles.jpg).

</SPAN></P></o:p></SPAN>

GiantsWinAlltime
07-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Did you know that I made a lot of posts about what the Giants should doinorder to succeedand when they do them, I was right?

GCGiant
07-03-2009, 09:52 AM
PTI...but just wanted to throw this question out there...hope it hasn't already been asked.</P>

Who was the last #1 draft pick to win a SB for his team before Eli did it in 2007?</P>

GiantsWinAlltime
07-03-2009, 10:12 AM
PTI...but just wanted to throw this question out there...hope it hasn't already been asked.</P>

Who was the last #1 draft pick to win a SB for his team before Eli did it in 2007?</P>I could think of Peyton Manning.

GCGiant
07-03-2009, 10:46 AM

Who was the last #1 draft pick to win a SB for his team before Eli did it in 2007?</P>

I could think of Peyton Manning.</P>

Bingo...just wanted to point that out...I thought it was interesting.</P>

SEC105
07-03-2009, 12:06 PM

</P>

Brad Benson did come from New England</P>

On opening day in 1977 this popular Giant picked off Billy Kilmer of the Redskins and returned it for a TD. Any body remember which Giant it was?</P>

Keep up the good work gang. Taking off for South Carolina soon to hit the surf. Thanks for the great thread and talk to you upon return. Happy 4th to each andall...... ...............God Bless the USA</P>

Z</P>

zimonami
07-03-2009, 12:26 PM
YA, was the trainer you are talking about was the 90 year old guy they were talking about during SB42 that was retiring and he was on the sidelines? SB42 was his last game? I don't remember his name but he went out in style. Here's one for you guys. Simms won his first career start against what team? And for 100 bonus points, which running back on the Giants rushed for 140+ yards that day? Happy holidays to you all, I'm heading to Long Beach Island, my friend's got a place there. Not sure I'll be able to check in but I know you guys will get this one.</P>

Ros, hopoe you had a great holiday weekend on Long Beach Island.</P>

Was Simms first victory against Tampa Bay</P>

The 140 yd RB... Billy Taylor?</P>

zimonami
07-03-2009, 12:28 PM

</P>

Brad Benson did come from New England</P>

On opening day in 1977 this popular Giant picked off Billy Kilmer of the Redskins and returned it for a TD. Any body remember which Giant it was?</P>

Keep up the good work gang. Taking off for South Carolina soon to hit the surf. Thanks for the great thread and talk to you upon return. Happy 4th to each andall...... ...............God Bless the USA</P>

Z</P>

</P>

This nyg fan says maybe it was Mr. George Martin?</P>

Hope you had a great time in SC. Say HI to the Gov. for us.</P>

zimonami
07-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Did you know that I made a lot of posts about what the Giants should doinorder to succeedand when they do them, I was right?</P>

We'll nominate you for Honorable Head Coach, along with Asian Giant. Someone in the Front Office must be listening. The pieces are in place. Now, if we can avoid any serious injuries, we should be golden.</P>

Good work... </P>

YATittle1962
07-03-2009, 12:36 PM
PTI...but just wanted to throw this question out there...hope it hasn't already been asked.</p>

Who was the last #1 draft pick to win a SB for his team before Eli did it in 2007?</p>

I could think of Peyton Manning.</p>

Bingo...just wanted to point that out...I thought it was interesting.</p>

</p>

Brad Benson did come from New England</p>

On opening day in 1977 this popular Giant picked off Billy Kilmer of the Redskins and returned it for a TD. Any body remember which Giant it was?</p>

Keep up the good work gang. Taking off for South Carolina soon to hit the surf. Thanks for the great thread and talk to you upon return. Happy 4th to each andall...... ...............God Bless the USA</p>

Z</p>

</p>

This nyg fan says maybe it was Mr. George Martin?</p>

Hope you had a great time in SC. Say HI to the Gov. for us.</p>

you are right on Zim....it was George...if I remember correctly he ran it back quite a bit to score that TD to.....

man that feels like yesterday.......cant believe it was almost 32 years ago.....I remember this stuff better than I remember yesterday.......its crazy.....

so does noone know the trainer that taped both Ole Miss QBs ankles....Charlie Conerly and Eli Manning?

thats a hell of a career he had.....ill leave it out there for a little bit more see if anyone can get it....

GiantsWinAlltime
07-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Did you know that I made a lot of posts about what the Giants should doinorder to succeedand when they do them, I was right?</P>

We'll nominate you for Honorable Head Coach, along with Asian Giant. Someone in the Front Office must be listening. The pieces are in place. Now, if we can avoid any serious injuries, we should be golden.</P>

Good work... </P>I know that you are being sarcastic, yet Iam posting my own opinions myself. Yes I brag about what Ihave done in the past but but, if my opinions turn outinto facts, then why I can't talk? Iam not lying to a lot of you. A lot of theopinions on what the Giants should doare not from me, it is based on what I have seen watching football. These opinions of minesare factsfrom The Late Bill Walsh, Marve Levey, Mike Shananhan, Mike Holgrem, Bill Belecheck and others their staffs and players they had. I just look at the players we have an compare to others.

YATittle1962
07-03-2009, 02:05 PM
PTI...but just wanted to throw this question out there...hope it hasn't already been asked.</p>

Who was the last #1 draft pick to win a SB for his team before Eli did it in 2007?</p>

I could think of Peyton Manning.</p>

Bingo...just wanted to point that out...I thought it was interesting.</p>

</p>

Brad Benson did come from New England</p>

On opening day in 1977 this popular Giant picked off Billy Kilmer of the Redskins and returned it for a TD. Any body remember which Giant it was?</p>

Keep up the good work gang. Taking off for South Carolina soon to hit the surf. Thanks for the great thread and talk to you upon return. Happy 4th to each andall...... ...............God Bless the USA</p>

Z</p>

</p>

This nyg fan says maybe it was Mr. George Martin?</p>

Hope you had a great time in SC. Say HI to the Gov. for us.</p>

you are right on Zim....it was George...if I remember correctly he ran it back quite a bit to score that TD to.....

man that feels like yesterday.......cant believe it was almost 32 years ago.....I remember this stuff better than I remember yesterday.......its crazy.....

so does noone know the trainer that taped both Ole Miss QBs ankles....Charlie Conerly and Eli Manning?

thats a hell of a career he had.....ill leave it out there for a little bit more see if anyone can get it....

zimonami
07-03-2009, 02:19 PM

Good work... </P>

I know that you are being sarcastic, yet Iam posting my own opinions myself. Yes I brag about what Ihave done in the past but but, if my opinions turn outinto facts, then why I can't talk? Iam not lying to a lot of you. A lot of theopinions on what the Giants should doare not from me, it is based on what I have seen watching football. These opinions of minesare factsfrom The Late Bill Walsh, Marve Levey, Mike Shananhan, Mike Holgrem, Bill Belecheck and others their staffs and players they had. I just look at the players we have an compare to others.</P>

I was only being semi-sarcastic Alltime... lol. If you've made some good predictions, by all means you should pat yourself on the back. Sometimes there's a good idea and the FO goes in another direction. That doesn't mean your idea was bad. If you ever follow my posts you will realize that I never have, and never will criticize or belittle fellow posters, but, I will have some fun at times.</P>

Have a great 4th.</P>

YATittle1962
07-03-2009, 02:28 PM
the trainer that taped both Charlie Conerly and Eli Manning was the one and only John Johnson.....

almost 70 years taping ankles...

when Amani Toomer joined the Giants he was given Mark Bavaros old #89....

what reason did Amani give for changing to #81?

I think he was partly joking......but he may not have been...athletes are strange people.....

zimonami
07-03-2009, 04:21 PM
the trainer that taped both Charlie Conerly and Eli Manning was the one and only John Johnson.....

I think he was partly joking......but he may not have been...athletes are strange people.....
</P>

Geez, I haven't got a clue. Good question. Athletes are notoriously superstitious. Amani wore #89 for 2 years, then switched to #81. Maybe he thought he didn't want to have to be forced to change later on in his career, in case the the Giants retired it for Bavaro? (Bavaro was great, and one of my all time favs, but he wasn't with us long enough to have his number retied). Maybe, because he wasn't a starter he thought it wasn't bringing him any luck and he needed a change? I don't recall what # he was at Michigan. Maybe he thought the number nine was heavier to carry than the number 1? Or maybe he said he was too thin, and needed a narrower number? Maybe Jack Gregory was a fav of his?</P>

I'm dying to hear this one, YA.</P>

YATittle1962
07-03-2009, 05:23 PM

</p>

Geez, I haven't got a clue. Good question. Athletes are notoriously superstitious. Amani wore #89 for 2 years, then switched to #81. Maybe he thought he didn't want to have to be forced to change later on in his career, in case the the Giants retired it for Bavaro? (Bavaro was great, and one of my all time favs, but he wasn't with us long enough to have his number retied). Maybe, because he wasn't a starter he thought it wasn't bringing him any luck and he needed a change? I don't recall what # he was at Michigan. Maybe he thought the number nine was heavier to carry than the number 1? Or maybe he said he was too thin, and needed a narrower number? Maybe Jack Gregory was a fav of his?</p>

I'm dying to hear this one, YA.</p>

you never cease to amaze me Zimmy......

one of your guesses is absolutely right.....

Amani felt that the number 9 was too heavy on his back and felt like he was faster with the number one next to his eight.......

athletes are crazy....

on the Day Parcells pulled Bledsoe in the third quarter and put in the four year back up quarterback covered in cobwebs who threw exactly 2 passes in the NFL ....Tony Romo....

the third pass of his career...first of this game...was deflected by one Giant only to be picked off by another.....

who were they?

hint...one is retired and one is a current Giant

Tony threw 2 more picks in that game........

one by Dockery and one by a D lineman.....who was the D lineman...?

thats 3 total picks.....

zimonami
07-03-2009, 05:40 PM

</P>

Geez, I haven't got a clue. Good question. Athletes are notoriously superstitious. Amani wore #89 for 2 years, then switched to #81. Maybe he thought he didn't want to have to be forced to change later on in his career, in case the the Giants retired it for Bavaro? (Bavaro was great, and one of my all time favs, but he wasn't with us long enough to have his number retied). Maybe, because he wasn't a starter he thought it wasn't bringing him any luck and he needed a change? I don't recall what # he was at Michigan. Maybe he thought the number nine was heavier to carry than the number 1? Or maybe he said he was too thin, and needed a narrower number? Maybe Jack Gregory was a fav of his?</P>

I'm dying to hear this one, YA.</P>

Amani felt that the number 9 was too heavy on his back and felt like he was faster with the number one next to his eight.......

athletes are crazy....

on the Day Parcells pulled Bledsoe in the third quarter and put in the four year back up quarterback covered in cobwebs who threw exactly 2 passes in the NFL ....Tony Romo....

the third pass of his career...first of this game...was deflected by one Giant only to be picked off by another.....

who were they?

thats 3 total picks.....

</P>

I remember that game well.A pleasure to watch our D Line control the game.Bledsoe was being brutalized and had thrown a pick and was sacked a few times. If I recall correctly Pierce danged near took a handoff from Bledso on one blitz. Parcells brought in Romo, who also had a rough time... as you pointed out, 3 picks. But, the die had been cast and I don't think Bledsoe ever started again.</P>

I also remember Dockery had a very long INT return for a TD. Big Fred Robbins also had an INT... so he was the D lineman you refer to with an INT.</P>

I've got to guess that the retired man was Strahan tipping a pass, and Pierce intercepting it.</P>

YATittle1962
07-03-2009, 05:42 PM

</p>

Geez, I haven't got a clue. Good question. Athletes are notoriously superstitious. Amani wore #89 for 2 years, then switched to #81. Maybe he thought he didn't want to have to be forced to change later on in his career, in case the the Giants retired it for Bavaro? (Bavaro was great, and one of my all time favs, but he wasn't with us long enough to have his number retied). Maybe, because he wasn't a starter he thought it wasn't bringing him any luck and he needed a change? I don't recall what # he was at Michigan. Maybe he thought the number nine was heavier to carry than the number 1? Or maybe he said he was too thin, and needed a narrower number? Maybe Jack Gregory was a fav of his?</p>

I'm dying to hear this one, YA.</p>

athletes are crazy....

who were they?

thats 3 total picks.....

</p>

I remember that game well.A pleasure to watch our D Line control the game.Bledsoe was being brutalized and had thrown a pick and was sacked a few times. If I recall correctly Pierce danged near took a handoff from Bledso on one blitz. Parcells brought in Romo, who also had a rough time... as you pointed out, 3 picks. But, the die had been cast and I don't think Bledsoe ever started again.</p>

I also remember Dockery had a very long INT return for a TD. Big Fred Robbins also had an INT... so he was the D lineman you refer to with an INT.</p>

I've got to guess that the retired man was Strahan tipping a pass, and Pierce intercepting it.</p>

you are the man Zim.....

all perfectly correct......

YATittle1962
07-03-2009, 05:58 PM
you ever been watching a game and something happens and it makes you shake your head and mutter

...."typical Giants"

happens to me all the time.....

this just popped in my head so I figured Id make a question out of it....

2006 season...same game as the Devin Hester 108 yd return on a feeley missed 50 yarder....

theres a minute and a half left in the first half.....Bears have a 3rd and 22 on their own 28 yd line.....

the Giants call time out.....I remember screaming no no no!

the Bears would have went to the locker room down 13 - 7

they went in 13 - 10 and with major momentum.....

what happened right after that time out on 3rd and 22?

I shook my head......typical Giants

what did Hester do after crossing the goal line on the 108 yd return?

zimonami
07-03-2009, 06:49 PM
you ever been watching a game and something happens and it makes you shake your head and mutter

...."typical Giants"

2006 season...same game as the Devin Hester 108 yd return on a feeley missed 50 yarder....

theres a minute and a half left in the first half.....Bears have a 3rd and 22 on their own 28 yd line.....

</P>

OMG, YA, these are the games I try to forget. This game was a total meltdown. Yes, I remember saying, WTF are we calling TO for on 3rd and 22? Then, Grossman hands to Thomas Jones on a Draw and the Giants play like Pop Warner trying to tackle him. Now you see him... now you don't.</P>

Maybe because I'm old and have always looked for the return on a long FG attempt. Maybe because it happens alot in Canadian football, which I used to watch in the early days of Wide World of Sports. Maybe just because it WAS a long FG attempt and I saw Hester standing in the end zone. I'm thinking... he wouldn't be standing there if he didn't want to run one back, given the right opportunity. FG misses, and Hester catches it and stands there for 2 seconds, watching all our Gmen turning their backs and walking off the field. OMG, you could see it coming. But, our guys didn't.</P>

I can't remember what happened after he scored. Maybe he turned around and flipped it to one of our guys? At least he didn't pull a Vai Sickahema... remember that embarrassing moment?</P>

</P>

YATittle1962
07-03-2009, 08:20 PM

...."typical Giants"

</p>

OMG, YA, these are the games I try to forget. This game was a total meltdown. Yes, I remember saying, WTF are we calling TO for on 3rd and 22? Then, Grossman hands to Thomas Jones on a Draw and the Giants play like Pop Warner trying to tackle him. Now you see him... now you don't.</p>

Maybe because I'm old and have always looked for the return on a long FG attempt. Maybe because it happens alot in Canadian football, which I used to watch in the early days of Wide World of Sports. Maybe just because it WAS a long FG attempt and I saw Hester standing in the end zone. I'm thinking... he wouldn't be standing there if he didn't want to run one back, given the right opportunity. FG misses, and Hester catches it and stands there for 2 seconds, watching all our Gmen turning their backs and walking off the field. OMG, you could see it coming. But, our guys didn't.</p>

I can't remember what happened after he scored. Maybe he turned around and flipped it to one of our guys? At least he didn't pull a Vai Sickahema... remember that embarrassing moment?</p>

</p>

you are right on Zim.....

3rd and 22.....they ahnd it to Jones and he runs for 26.....of course he does......I wanted to throw something.......I knew that was the beginning of something bad.....

the way you described it I felt like I was watching it again.....Hester catches the ball watches as all our big fat players start to walk off the field .....then takes off.....

he would have scored if it was a damn 2 hand touch game.......no one came close to him....

he crossed the goal line and puts up the imaginary "jump shot" that the Giants defense made famous that year.......

....and yes I sure do remember the Sekahema punching the goal post incident......I could have wrung his neck.......

in the 2000 season Playoff vs. the Eagles......

the Giants sacked McNabb 6 times....

Strahan had 2
Cornelius Griffin had1.5
Emanuel McDaniel had 0.5
Kieth Hamilton had 0.5
Jesse Armstead had 0.5

who had the missing sack....?......and what number did he wear?

zimonami
07-03-2009, 09:37 PM

...."typical Giants"

</P>

OMG, YA, these are the games I try to forget. This game was a total meltdown. Yes, I remember saying, WTF are we calling TO for on 3rd and 22? Then, Grossman hands to Thomas Jones on a Draw and the Giants play like Pop Warner trying to tackle him. Now you see him... now you don't.</P>

Maybe because I'm old and have always looked for the return on a long FG attempt. Maybe because it happens alot in Canadian football, which I used to watch in the early days of Wide World of Sports. Maybe just because it WAS a long FG attempt and I saw Hester standing in the end zone. I'm thinking... he wouldn't be standing there if he didn't want to run one back, given the right opportunity. FG misses, and Hester catches it and stands there for 2 seconds, watching all our Gmen turning their backs and walking off the field. OMG, you could see it coming. But, our guys didn't.</P>

I can't remember what happened after he scored. Maybe he turned around and flipped it to one of our guys? At least he didn't pull a Vai Sickahema... remember that embarrassing moment?</P>

</P>

3rd and 22.....they ahnd it to Jones and he runs for 26.....of course he does......I wanted to throw something.......I knew that was the beginning of something bad.....

the way you described it I felt like I was watching it again.....Hester catches the ball watches as all our big fat players start to walk off the field .....then takes off.....

he would have scored if it was a damn 2 hand touch game.......no one came close to him....

he crossed the goal line and puts up the imaginary "jump shot" that the Giants defense made famous that year.......

....and yes I sure do remember the Sekahema punching the goal post incident......I could have wrung his neck.......

Strahan had 2
Cornelius Griffin had1.5
Emanuel McDaniel had 0.5
Kieth Hamilton had 0.5
Jesse Armstead had 0.5

</P>

This one stumped me. I'm thinking... Barrow? Christian Peter? Cedrick Jones (rejected this quickly... poor ole one eye What a bad draft pick he was.)? Shaun Williams?</P>

So, I looked it up -Ryan Hale!!! YA, for the life of me, I cannot remember a Ryan Hale, #93, and he played with us for 2 seasons... and it was onlly 8.5 years ago. And, my grand daughter's name is Ryan, and she was 8 then, and, still, no association with his name.</P>

Wasn't this the game Sehorn made that most excellent, athletic, beautiful INT? That one will alwaysremainimprinted in my mind... it deserves to be one of the top 10 INT' videos of all time. One thing I'll never forget was how it showed his athleticism, and how totally relaxed he was through the whole... tip, hit ground and roll, locate and catch, get up and run... it all looked so effortless, yet you and I know that very few could have done it. I'll remember Sehorn like that, and I'll forget him getting burned in the ensuing SB. And, I'll forget the preseason game, that I was at, and the disastrous experiment to use him at kick-off return. Without that injury he probably remains a top flight player another 4-5 years.</P>

YATittle1962
07-03-2009, 10:24 PM

...."typical Giants"

</p>

OMG, YA, these are the games I try to forget. This game was a total meltdown. Yes, I remember saying, WTF are we calling TO for on 3rd and 22? Then, Grossman hands to Thomas Jones on a Draw and the Giants play like Pop Warner trying to tackle him. Now you see him... now you don't.</p>

Maybe because I'm old and have always looked for the return on a long FG attempt. Maybe because it happens alot in Canadian football, which I used to watch in the early days of Wide World of Sports. Maybe just because it WAS a long FG attempt and I saw Hester standing in the end zone. I'm thinking... he wouldn't be standing there if he didn't want to run one back, given the right opportunity. FG misses, and Hester catches it and stands there for 2 seconds, watching all our Gmen turning their backs and walking off the field. OMG, you could see it coming. But, our guys didn't.</p>

I can't remember what happened after he scored. Maybe he turned around and flipped it to one of our guys? At least he didn't pull a Vai Sickahema... remember that embarrassing moment?</p>

</p>

Strahan had 2
Cornelius Griffin had1.5
Emanuel McDaniel had 0.5
Kieth Hamilton had 0.5
Jesse Armstead had 0.5

</p>

This one stumped me. I'm thinking... Barrow? Christian Peter? Cedrick Jones (rejected this quickly... poor ole one eye What a bad draft pick he was.)? Shaun Williams?</p>

So, I looked it up -Ryan Hale!!! YA, for the life of me, I cannot remember a Ryan Hale, #93, and he played with us for 2 seasons... and it was onlly 8.5 years ago. And, my grand daughter's name is Ryan, and she was 8 then, and, still, no association with his name.</p>

Wasn't this the game Sehorn made that most excellent, athletic, beautiful INT? That one will alwaysremainimprinted in my mind... it deserves to be one of the top 10 INT' videos of all time. One thing I'll never forget was how it showed his athleticism, and how totally relaxed he was through the whole... tip, hit ground and roll, locate and catch, get up and run... it all looked so effortless, yet you and I know that very few could have done it. I'll remember Sehorn like that, and I'll forget him getting burned in the ensuing SB. And, I'll forget the preseason game, that I was at, and the disastrous experiment to use him at kick-off return. Without that injury he probably remains a top flight player another 4-5 years.</p>

yup that was the game with the amazing Sehorn INT....

yes that was one of the more amazing plays in Giant History...

I also choose to remember him that way and not with his pants falling down in coverage...

without the bad knee he goes down as one of the greats in the Giant defensive backfield....

zimonami
07-04-2009, 12:01 AM

...."typical Giants"

</P>

</P>

Strahan had 2
Cornelius Griffin had1.5
Emanuel McDaniel had 0.5
Kieth Hamilton had 0.5
Jesse Armstead had 0.5

</P>

This one stumped me. I'm thinking... Barrow? Christian Peter? Cedrick Jones (rejected this quickly... poor ole one eye What a bad draft pick he was.)? Shaun Williams?</P>

So, I looked it up -Ryan Hale!!! YA, for the life of me, I cannot remember a Ryan Hale, #93, and he played with us for 2 seasons... and it was onlly 8.5 years ago. And, my grand daughter's name is Ryan, and she was 8 then, and, still, no association with his name.</P>

Wasn't this the game Sehorn made that most excellent, athletic, beautiful INT? That one will alwaysremainimprinted in my mind... it deserves to be one of the top 10 INT' videos of all time. One thing I'll never forget was how it showed his athleticism, and how totally relaxed he was through the whole... tip, hit ground and roll, locate and catch, get up and run... it all looked so effortless, yet you and I know that very few could have done it. I'll remember Sehorn like that, and I'll forget him getting burned in the ensuing SB. And, I'll forget the preseason game, that I was at, and the disastrous experiment to use him at kick-off return. Without that injury he probably remains a top flight player another 4-5 years.</P>

yup that was the game with the amazing Sehorn INT....

yes that was one of the more amazing plays in Giant History...

I also choose to remember him that way and not with his pants falling down in coverage...

without the bad knee he goes down as one of the greats in the Giant defensive backfield....
</P>

I totally forgot about Sehorn's pants. Hahaha... that brings a smile. Yeah, at the time I was screaming mad, depressed, angry. It was a humiliating moment in a humiliating defeat... for the whole world to see. But, hey, how can you not laugh, in retrospect? How many times have you seen a guy's pants falling down in a chamionship game, of any sport... in any game, for that matter, except maybe little league... Sehorn, trying to run and catch up... the distance widens with every step as he tries to pull the pants up, I always lay that game on Collins not capable of handling the Raven D, but that play was the capper.</P>

YA, when I hit Quote, and then try to delete everything but your very last remarks, it won't let me Post... do you know how to delete all the previous stuff, except for the last, and then post?</P>

lawl
07-04-2009, 12:15 AM
</p>

YA, when I hit Quote, and then try to delete everything but your very last remarks, it won't let me Post... do you know how to delete all the previous stuff, except for the last, and then post?</p>

highlight everything after the first quoteuser="username"] thing up until the writing that you want quoted so for example....

[quoteuser=guy you want}[quote user=random person}[quoteuser=random person]

blah blah blahblah

{/quote}

blahblahblah

{/quote}

This is the stuff you want quoted
{/quote}

-------------------------------------------
to get it to quote the last stuff delete everything in the middle to show as follows

{quoteuser=guys you want}

{/quote}

--------------------------------

hope this is of help

YATittle1962
07-04-2009, 12:17 AM
[quote user="zimonami"]

</p>

YA, when I hit Quote, and then try to delete everything but your very last remarks, it won't let me Post... do you know how to delete all the previous stuff, except for the last, and then post?</p>

highlight everything after the first quoteuser="username"] thing up until the writing that you want quoted so for example....

blah blah blahblah

{/quote}

blahblahblah

{/quote}

{/quote}

-------------------------------------------
to get it to quote the last stuff delete everything in the middle to show as follows

{quoteuser=guys you want}

{/quote}

--------------------------------

hope this is of help

awesome thanks lawl

zimonami
07-04-2009, 01:20 AM
hope this is of help

</P>

lawl, many thanks for taking all that time to show me that. Super. I hate wasting all the space endlessly repeating old stuff that no one will read again</P>

Have a great 4th</P>

lawl
07-04-2009, 01:29 AM
np, glad to help both of ya

zimonami
07-04-2009, 01:54 AM

Oh, ye of little faith.</P>

on 7/1 we were at 119 pages, and Asian Giant for HC was at 3179 pages. Now, we are at 122 pages andAG for HCis at 3180. </P>

We picked up 2 pages in 2 days! one page gained every day!</P>

At this rate we will pass Asian Giant for HC as the most active post in 8 years, 4 months and 2 weeks.</P>

They said it couldn't be done. They also said we couldn't beat the unbeaten Pats in SB XVII.</P>

Keep those Giant questions coming!!!</P>

YATittle1962
07-04-2009, 11:30 AM
In 1976 ...the inaugural season of Giants Stadium.....the Giants defeated the Seattle Seahawks 28 - 16

in that game there were 45 rush attempts for 164 yds and 2 TDs

7 players had rush attempts that day......

can you name all 7?

zimonami
07-04-2009, 03:40 PM
In 1976 ...the inaugural season of Giants Stadium.....the Giants defeated the Seattle Seahawks 28 - 16

can you name all 7?
</P>

This one is rough... I'll say Czonka, Kotar, Gordon Bell, and Morton probably had a few. I can't think of another carrier, unless someone like Walker Gillette had a reverse. That would still leave 2 unaccounted for.</P>

lawl
07-04-2009, 03:43 PM

can you name all 7?
</p>

This one is rough... I'll say Czonka, Kotar, Gordon Bell, and Morton probably had a few. I can't think of another carrier, unless someone like Walker Gillette had a reverse. That would still leave 2 unaccounted for.</p>

qb at the time prob had one too

jints10
07-04-2009, 04:11 PM

can you name all 7?
</p>

This one is rough... I'll say Czonka, Kotar, Gordon Bell, and Morton probably had a few. I can't think of another carrier, unless someone like Walker Gillette had a reverse. That would still leave 2 unaccounted for.</p>

qb at the time prob had one too

Craig Morton was the QB

The only other guy I can think of is Marsh White?

zimonami
07-04-2009, 05:58 PM
</P>

Craig Morton was the QB

The only other guy I can think of is Marsh White?
</P>

Good one, jints10, I forgot about White.</P>

There's still one more</P>

rbcarpenter
07-04-2009, 06:30 PM
RIP air mcnnair...thanks for the memories!a god damn shame.

rbcarpenter
07-04-2009, 06:32 PM
larry wadtkins.

Gmen2005
07-04-2009, 06:35 PM
RIP air mcnnair...thanks for the memories!a god damn shame.
yeah it really is a shame [:(]

NJGenerals
07-04-2009, 06:44 PM
<FONT face=Verdana>The last game played before the 1982 strike was Packers @ Giants, on MNF...
The weird thing was that there was a delayduring the game:
the stadium lights went out, almost as an imposing sign, of things to come...</FONT></P>

YATittle1962
07-04-2009, 06:54 PM
I think you guys got them all....

thats a hell of a group effort......

they were .....Gordon Bell....Doug Kotar....Marsh White...Larry Watkins...Larry Csonka....Craig Morton.....and even Walker Gillette had one rushing attempt for -4 yards...which I think was on a reverse.....

awesome job guys.....

rest easy Steve McNair

zimonami
07-04-2009, 09:51 PM
larry wadtkins.</P>

good job, RBC... that completes the seven. Larry Wadtkins... wow, I don't remember him at all.</P>

Yeah, RIP Steve McNair. He had a big heart. I was an original season tix holder of the Titans and saw him play many times. Too young to die, (35- 36?)and I'm waiting to see what the circumstances were.</P>

</P>

zimonami
07-04-2009, 09:52 PM
<FONT face=Verdana>The last game played before the 1982 strike was Packers @ Giants, on MNF...
the stadium lights went out, almost as an imposing sign, of things to come...</FONT></P>

</P>

great pic, General... is that your son?</P>

YATittle1962
07-05-2009, 04:40 PM
after which game of the 2006 season was Hufnagel relived of his play calling duties?

what was the score of that game?

zimonami
07-05-2009, 10:06 PM
after which game of the 2006 season was Hufnagel relived of his play calling duties?

</P>

Yikes, what a disaster that season was. After a 6-2 start we lost 4 in a row and finally eneded at 8-8. I believe it was after a disastrous loss, at home, to the Saints. It was the 14th or 15th game of the season and we only scored a single TD. Final score was around 28-7, or close to that. Hufnoodle was kaputsky and Gilbride took the helm.</P>

I'm not 100% in Gilbride's corner. You know, YA, from the other thread discussing the no huddle. Honestly, I think Eli could manage the game without plays called in for him. Let him discuss the next offensive series on the sidelines... plays that might be looking for, etc. But, once Eli and the offense go in I'd rather see the play calling as Eli's responsibility. I remember way back when (1963), when I QB'd my HS team... I called the plays completely and every once in a while the coach would send a play in. I hated that, and thought I had a better feel than the coaches. I'll bet Eli feels the same way.</P>

YATittle1962
07-05-2009, 11:23 PM

</p>

Yikes, what a disaster that season was. After a 6-2 start we lost 4 in a row and finally eneded at 8-8. I believe it was after a disastrous loss, at home, to the Saints. It was the 14th or 15th game of the season and we only scored a single TD. Final score was around 28-7, or close to that. Hufnoodle was kaputsky and Gilbride took the helm.</p>

I'm not 100% in Gilbride's corner. You know, YA, from the other thread discussing the no huddle. Honestly, I think Eli could manage the game without plays called in for him. Let him discuss the next offensive series on the sidelines... plays that might be looking for, etc. But, once Eli and the offense go in I'd rather see the play calling as Eli's responsibility. I remember way back when (1963), when I QB'd my HS team... I called the plays completely and every once in a while the coach would send a play in. I hated that, and thought I had a better feel than the coaches. I'll bet Eli feels the same way.</p>

I couldnt agree more Zim....

give him the freedom Unitas had......I think even Peyton has that freedom as well....

i would love to see how productive they could be with Eli calling his own plays....the kid has the head for it.....he has a hell of a football mind....

in the 2002 wild card game .....on a botched snap......on the very last play

who was it that went out for the pass and was blatantly interfered with by Chike Okeafor?

who attempted the pass?

I was steaming with anger when hearing the next day...the officials admitting they missed the call of interference .......

gmen0820
07-05-2009, 11:26 PM

</p>

Yikes, what a disaster that season was. After a 6-2 start we lost 4 in a row and finally eneded at 8-8.* I believe it was after a disastrous loss, at home, to the Saints. It was the 14th or 15th game of the season and we only scored a single TD. Final score was around 28-7, or close to that.* Hufnoodle was kaputsky and Gilbride took the helm.</p>

I'm not 100% in Gilbride's corner.* You know, YA, from the other thread discussing the no huddle.* Honestly, I think Eli could manage the game without plays called in for him.* Let him discuss the next offensive series on the sidelines... plays that might be looking for, etc.* But, once Eli and the offense go in I'd rather see the play calling as Eli's responsibility.* I remember way back when (1963), when I QB'd my HS team... I called the plays completely and every once in a while the coach would send a play in.* I hated that, and thought I had a better feel than the coaches.* I'll bet Eli feels the same way.</p>

give him the freedom Unitas had......I think even Peyton has that freedom as well....

i would love to see how productive they could be with Eli calling his own plays....the kid has the head for it.....he has a hell of a football mind....

who was it that went out for the pass and was blatantly interfered with by Chike Okeafor?

who attempted the pass?

I was steaming with anger when hearing the next day...the officials admitting they missed the call of interference .......
Seubert

GreggChef123
07-05-2009, 11:28 PM
I know it was Rich Seubert that was pulled to the ground blatantly.

GreggChef123
07-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Does anyone remember Steve Mariucci's single word response when asked about what he thought after they confirmed that it was a blown call by the officials?

YATittle1962
07-05-2009, 11:30 PM
right on guys.....

who attempted the pass?

jints10
07-05-2009, 11:31 PM

was it then?

GreggChef123
07-05-2009, 11:33 PM
I had to cheat to get this and I don't think anyone else will get it without looking.. It was Matt Allen

zimonami
07-06-2009, 12:23 AM
I had to cheat to get this and I don't think anyone else will get it without looking.. It was Matt Allen
</P>

I racked my brain and couldn't remember. You're right, Gregg, I would have had to look it up. No sweat if you look it up, it's not exactly cheating... just research, lol, on a tough question. No one here minds... we just say we had to look it up. Some of YA's questions are really tough.</P>

zimonami
07-06-2009, 12:26 AM

was it then?
</P>

jints... is this what Mariucci said? </P>

lol, like he didn't know.</P>

rbcarpenter
07-06-2009, 01:11 AM
i beleive mariucci's one word response was"sorry."

zimonami
07-06-2009, 01:52 AM
i beleive mariucci's one word response was"sorry."</P>

lol, rbc... yeah, he was sorry. Like I'll be if I hit the Powervall.</P>

zimonami
07-06-2009, 02:14 AM

</P>

Yikes, what a disaster that season was. After a 6-2 start we lost 4 in a row and finally eneded at 8-8. I believe it was after a disastrous loss, at home, to the Saints. It was the 14th or 15th game of the season and we only scored a single TD. Final score was around 28-7, or close to that. Hufnoodle was kaputsky and Gilbride took the helm.</P>

I'm not 100% in Gilbride's corner. You know, YA, from the other thread discussing the no huddle. Honestly, I think Eli could manage the game without plays called in for him. Let him discuss the next offensive series on the sidelines... plays that might be looking for, etc. But, once Eli and the offense go in I'd rather see the play calling as Eli's responsibility. I remember way back when (1963), when I QB'd my HS team... I called the plays completely and every once in a while the coach would send a play in. I hated that, and thought I had a better feel than the coaches. I'll bet Eli feels the same way.</P>

who attempted the pass?

</P>

I know Eli audibles a lot right now. But, he is limited by the personnel changes the coach makes between plays. and so has a limited package for that personnel. If Eli is calling most of his own plays, he'll know who he wants on the next play, which will be dictated by down and distance. When you watch a play finish, and watch Eli when the whistle blows, he is always looking at the spot and the sticks to see how much more he has to go for first down. If he wants a change in personnel, he can signal to the coach for what players/package he wants for the next play. He's already thinking about what he wants to run, as soon as he sees the mark. The new players come in and the players on the field have to be alert if they are being subbed for. If it takes 5, or so seconds longer for the players toget off the field, there's no reason why Eli even has to huddle. He can bring them straight to the line and audible. These are the kind of things that limited Manningham last year. You need sharp guys to do this. Remember how Giff, and others, always talked about what a smart team they had in the 50's. Those guys, under Conerly or Tittle, could have done this (then, again, they only had 35 players then), and Eli can too, if the coaches will swallow their pride, and test Eli out. The freakin' kid was literally raised to do this... which was the great reason I wanted to draft him. I don't know that Roethsligsberger could do this. I know, back in his days with us, that Collins couldn't do it. But, Peyton does it alot. and so can Eli. Also, If a play goes bad and we lose, I'd rather know that it was on Eli, than on the stupid coaches. Gilbride didn't help Eli's problems during the Eagles playoff last year. With his accuracy problems they should have run more, and run some short, high percentage passes. They should have had Ward in more to run some passes to the RB, too. but everything was a 12-20 yard pass. n First and five in that game... I don't think it was Eli who decided to call three pass plays in a row. I'd bet that if the plays were in Eli's handsat that time, he would have called Jacobs number 3 times.</P>

Roswell777
07-06-2009, 10:36 AM
YA, was the trainer you are talking about was the 90 year old guy they were talking about during SB42 that was retiring and he was on the sidelines? SB42 was his last game? I don't remember his name but he went out in style. Here's one for you guys. Simms won his first career start against what team? And for 100 bonus points, which running back on the Giants rushed for 140+ yards that day? Happy holidays to you all, I'm heading to Long Beach Island, my friend's got a place there. Not sure I'll be able to check in but I know you guys will get this one.</p>

Ros, hopoe you had a great holiday weekend on Long Beach Island.</p>

Was Simms first victory against Tampa Bay</p>

The 140 yd RB... Billy Taylor?</p>

Absolutely. I guess I have to dig deeper to make it more of a challenge for you guys.

YATittle1962
07-06-2009, 11:58 AM

</p>

Yikes, what a disaster that season was. After a 6-2 start we lost 4 in a row and finally eneded at 8-8. I believe it was after a disastrous loss, at home, to the Saints. It was the 14th or 15th game of the season and we only scored a single TD. Final score was around 28-7, or close to that. Hufnoodle was kaputsky and Gilbride took the helm.</p>

I'm not 100% in Gilbride's corner. You know, YA, from the other thread discussing the no huddle. Honestly, I think Eli could manage the game without plays called in for him. Let him discuss the next offensive series on the sidelines... plays that might be looking for, etc. But, once Eli and the offense go in I'd rather see the play calling as Eli's responsibility. I remember way back when (1963), when I QB'd my HS team... I called the plays completely and every once in a while the coach would send a play in. I hated that, and thought I had a better feel than the coaches. I'll bet Eli feels the same way.</p>

who attempted the pass?

</p>

I know Eli audibles a lot right now. But, he is limited by the personnel changes the coach makes between plays. and so has a limited package for that personnel. If Eli is calling most of his own plays, he'll know who he wants on the next play, which will be dictated by down and distance. When you watch a play finish, and watch Eli when the whistle blows, he is always looking at the spot and the sticks to see how much more he has to go for first down. If he wants a change in personnel, he can signal to the coach for what players/package he wants for the next play. He's already thinking about what he wants to run, as soon as he sees the mark. The new players come in and the players on the field have to be alert if they are being subbed for. If it takes 5, or so seconds longer for the players toget off the field, there's no reason why Eli even has to huddle. He can bring them straight to the line and audible. These are the kind of things that limited Manningham last year. You need sharp guys to do this. Remember how Giff, and others, always talked about what a smart team they had in the 50's. Those guys, under Conerly or Tittle, could have done this (then, again, they only had 35 players then), and Eli can too, if the coaches will swallow their pride, and test Eli out. The freakin' kid was literally raised to do this... which was the great reason I wanted to draft him. I don't know that Roethsligsberger could do this. I know, back in his days with us, that Collins couldn't do it. But, Peyton does it alot. and so can Eli. Also, If a play goes bad and we lose, I'd rather know that it was on Eli, than on the stupid coaches. Gilbride didn't help Eli's problems during the Eagles playoff last year. With his accuracy problems they should have run more, and run some short, high percentage passes. They should have had Ward in more to run some passes to the RB, too. but everything was a 12-20 yard pass. n First and five in that game... I don't think it was Eli who decided to call three pass plays in a row. I'd bet that if the plays were in Eli's handsat that time, he would have called Jacobs number 3 times.</p>

i completely agree Zim...

what I did not like that they tried to run in the Eagles playoff was the WR screen with Ward split out wide.....

I feel like the Eagles sniffed it out right away and even if Ward had caught the ball it may not have even gained a yard.....

I feel like those kind of plays need to be set up.....you cant just put him out there for one play and expect the defense to not notice.....

KG needs to start to think of play calling more as a scheme than one play at a time....

set things up with certain formations....he had gotten away from that last season...

the 1980 season......Giants come back to beat Dallas 38 -35....

a RB scored a TD in the second quarter......this guy ran for us in 1980.......did not play in the 1981 playoff season.....but returned for a few games in '82 and a few in '83.....

who was that RB and who did we acquire him from?

zimonami
07-06-2009, 02:23 PM

a RB scored a TD in the second quarter......this guy ran for us in 1980.......did not play in the 1981 playoff season.....but returned for a few games in '82 and a few in '83.....

</P>

</P>

I had to look this up, YA. That was Larry Heater... originally drafted by KC. Once I saw it, I remembered him, especially in that nice victory over the Cowgirls. I don't know why he didn't play in '81, and in '82 and '83 he mostly rode the bench.</P>

You're absolutely right about setting up a play. I remember that screen to Ward. That is exactly the kind of play that <U>has</U> to be set up. You run it, make it look like a screen could be an option, and pass to a regular receiver who has one-on-onedownfield, and the guys upstairs watch to see how the D reacted to Ward. You're right, they had it all sniffed out. If they had Ward accounted for the first time, you see who the D might have neglected the first time. On that play, the TE can make a quick brush block at the lineand pull out to block for the screen. If the D has it sniffed, as they did, he pulls out of his blockingassignment and scoots over the middle for a 6-8 yard reception, and can probably get some yac. His cover man has to decide... Ward or TE? If he overcommits to Ward, then the TE is golden. I'd have to look at a replay (do you have it? I do not), but I'll bet a safety and LBstayed at home to cover Ward. If the WR on Ward's side didn't clear his man deep enough (often, they take a few steps and then block their man. The covering CB has the advantage there because the WR has his back to the play and the CB sees which side of the blocking WR to go to. I just don't remember who stayed at home for the Eagles but, depending on how the Eagle D reacted, that's a play with many possible options, and then later they'll have a better chance to hit Ward and get some yards as he'll most likely just be one-on-one.</P>

YATittle1962
07-06-2009, 02:47 PM

</p>

</p>

I had to look this up, YA. That was Larry Heater... originally drafted by KC. Once I saw it, I remembered him, especially in that nice victory over the Cowgirls. I don't know why he didn't play in '81, and in '82 and '83 he mostly rode the bench.</p>

You're absolutely right about setting up a play. I remember that screen to Ward. That is exactly the kind of play that <u>has</u> to be set up. You run it, make it look like a screen could be an option, and pass to a regular receiver who has one-on-onedownfield, and the guys upstairs watch to see how the D reacted to Ward. You're right, they had it all sniffed out. If they had Ward accounted for the first time, you see who the D might have neglected the first time. On that play, the TE can make a quick brush block at the lineand pull out to block for the screen. If the D has it sniffed, as they did, he pulls out of his blockingassignment and scoots over the middle for a 6-8 yard reception, and can probably get some yac. His cover man has to decide... Ward or TE? If he overcommits to Ward, then the TE is golden. I'd have to look at a replay (do you have it? I do not), but I'll bet a safety and LBstayed at home to cover Ward. If the WR on Ward's side didn't clear his man deep enough (often, they take a few steps and then block their man. The covering CB has the advantage there because the WR has his back to the play and the CB sees which side of the blocking WR to go to. I just don't remember who stayed at home for the Eagles but, depending on how the Eagle D reacted, that's a play with many possible options, and then later they'll have a better chance to hit Ward and get some yards as he'll most likely just be one-on-one.</p>

just re watched it...they run the same play twice in the game....

the first time its 3rd and 5....with just over a minute left in the half.......Hixon and Ward are on the same side.....Ward catches and gains 4 while Hixon misses a block....

the second time...is in the first drive of the 3rd quarter.....the Eagles sniff it out and pull a safety down low....but the pass hits Ward in the hands then hits the ground.....

I vote Zim for OC

NJGenerals
07-06-2009, 04:05 PM

</P>

Yes, it's my youngest...

zimonami
07-06-2009, 05:17 PM

</P>

Yes, it's my youngest...</P>

Cool... I hope you printed it and framed it.</P>

zimonami
07-06-2009, 05:25 PM

</P>

</P>

I had to look this up, YA. That was Larry Heater... originally drafted by KC. Once I saw it, I remembered him, especially in that nice victory over the Cowgirls. I don't know why he didn't play in '81, and in '82 and '83 he mostly rode the bench.</P>

You're absolutely right about setting up a play. I remember that screen to Ward. That is exactly the kind of play that <U>has</U> to be set up. You run it, make it look like a screen could be an option, and pass to a regular receiver who has one-on-onedownfield, and the guys upstairs watch to see how the D reacted to Ward. You're right, they had it all sniffed out. If they had Ward accounted for the first time, you see who the D might have neglected the first time. On that play, the TE can make a quick brush block at the lineand pull out to block for the screen. If the D has it sniffed, as they did, he pulls out of his blockingassignment and scoots over the middle for a 6-8 yard reception, and can probably get some yac. His cover man has to decide... Ward or TE? If he overcommits to Ward, then the TE is golden. I'd have to look at a replay (do you have it? I do not), but I'll bet a safety and LBstayed at home to cover Ward. If the WR on Ward's side didn't clear his man deep enough (often, they take a few steps and then block their man. The covering CB has the advantage there because the WR has his back to the play and the CB sees which side of the blocking WR to go to. I just don't remember who stayed at home for the Eagles but, depending on how the Eagle D reacted, that's a play with many possible options, and then later they'll have a better chance to hit Ward and get some yards as he'll most likely just be one-on-one.</P>

the first time its 3rd and 5....with just over a minute left in the half.......Hixon and Ward are on the same side.....Ward catches and gains 4 while Hixon misses a block....

the second time...is in the first drive of the 3rd quarter.....the Eagles sniff it out and pull a safety down low....but the pass hits Ward in the hands then hits the ground.....

I vote Zim for OC
</P>

Yeah... Hixon has to drive that guy downfield off the snap, and then stop and block there, or further back towards Ward. The tight end should brush block his man, and either pull back to block a LB, and maybe fake a step for a pass route to move the LB back, or if the LB reacts to Ward, the TE cuts to the middle. The second time they should have faked the screen to him and hit someone else... Hixon gives his man a stop and go to freeze his man that he's gonna block for the screen, again, then get the jump on him. After faking the screen pass to Ward in the flat, Eli can hit Hixon, first choice, then scan right for the TE in the middle, and last choice would be the other WR. I know Eli knows all this. If it's gonna be a real screen to Ward, the TE has to block the safety, if he's closest, instead of the LB, and the next O Line blocker over takes the LB.</P>

YATittle1962
07-06-2009, 09:36 PM

</p>

</p>

I had to look this up, YA. That was Larry Heater... originally drafted by KC. Once I saw it, I remembered him, especially in that nice victory over the Cowgirls. I don't know why he didn't play in '81, and in '82 and '83 he mostly rode the bench.</p>

You're absolutely right about setting up a play. I remember that screen to Ward. That is exactly the kind of play that <u>has</u> to be set up. You run it, make it look like a screen could be an option, and pass to a regular receiver who has one-on-onedownfield, and the guys upstairs watch to see how the D reacted to Ward. You're right, they had it all sniffed out. If they had Ward accounted for the first time, you see who the D might have neglected the first time. On that play, the TE can make a quick brush block at the lineand pull out to block for the screen. If the D has it sniffed, as they did, he pulls out of his blockingassignment and scoots over the middle for a 6-8 yard reception, and can probably get some yac. His cover man has to decide... Ward or TE? If he overcommits to Ward, then the TE is golden. I'd have to look at a replay (do you have it? I do not), but I'll bet a safety and LBstayed at home to cover Ward. If the WR on Ward's side didn't clear his man deep enough (often, they take a few steps and then block their man. The covering CB has the advantage there because the WR has his back to the play and the CB sees which side of the blocking WR to go to. I just don't remember who stayed at home for the Eagles but, depending on how the Eagle D reacted, that's a play with many possible options, and then later they'll have a better chance to hit Ward and get some yards as he'll most likely just be one-on-one.</p>

I vote Zim for OC
</p>

Yeah... Hixon has to drive that guy downfield off the snap, and then stop and block there, or further back towards Ward. The tight end should brush block his man, and either pull back to block a LB, and maybe fake a step for a pass route to move the LB back, or if the LB reacts to Ward, the TE cuts to the middle. The second time they should have faked the screen to him and hit someone else... Hixon gives his man a stop and go to freeze his man that he's gonna block for the screen, again, then get the jump on him. After faking the screen pass to Ward in the flat, Eli can hit Hixon, first choice, then scan right for the TE in the middle, and last choice would be the other WR. I know Eli knows all this. If it's gonna be a real screen to Ward, the TE has to block the safety, if he's closest, instead of the LB, and the next O Line blocker over takes the LB.</p>

all super valid points......

the thing I hate about the game plan of that game is....

the only time they came out in that formation was the two times they ran that same exact play.....

that is just juvenile...it is football 101 to set up plays with certain formations......

oh wow Ward is set out wide....I wonder what play they are running.....

Eli should have seen the coverage and audibled out of that play or at least looked at another option.....

during the 1993 season.....Giants beat the Saints 24 - 14....

in that win there were 42 rush attempts for 133yds...

6 players had rush attempts....

can you name all 6?

zimonami
07-06-2009, 10:22 PM

can you name all 6?

</P>

Hampton, Meggett, Lewis Tillman, Bunch and Dave Brown are five likely prospects... I need someone to cover me on the sixth.</P>

YATittle1962
07-06-2009, 11:12 PM

can you name all 6?

</p>

Hampton, Meggett, Lewis Tillman, Bunch and Dave Brown are five likely prospects... I need someone to cover me on the sixth.</p>

Zim you nailed everyone but Kenyon Rasheed......a FB who barely played for 2 seasons....nothing really to remember about him.....

in the 1997 playoff vs. the Vikings....

describe as best you can the final 90 seconds of the game........that stunned the Giants.....

werent they even fighting amongst themselves on the sidelines?

zimonami
07-06-2009, 11:55 PM

describe as best you can the final 90 seconds of the game........that stunned the Giants.....

</P>

Another depressing loss, which I was at with my 30 year old, born blue, son.</P>

Cunningham gave us a reason to hate him one more time. After we took a 19-3 lead at the half, Cunningham played Houdini, again, and led them to a FG, a 25-30 yard TD toss, and the winning FG. I can't remember exactly how it transpired, just lost memory, lol, but in the TD drive, or the last FG drive, Phillippi Sarks, and another DB, or LB, went at each other. Sparks was either chastising someone, or they were chastizing Sparks, right after a play, right on the field for everyone to see... the defense was in disarray with blown coverages all over the place, and our offense didn't help as our running game was shut down, so we couldn't move the chains and keep possessionand passingbyKannell, was dreadful.</P>

We had four RB's with carries that game... who are they... three are easy and the fourth is tough.</P>

GreggChef123
07-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Forgot to post the answer to this but Steve Marriucis one word response after being told the ref's had admitted to blowing the call was...........

BUMMER

zimonami
07-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Forgot to post the answer to this but Steve Marriucis one word response after being told the ref's had admitted to blowing the call was...........

BUMMER
</P>

Thanks, Gregg. I had forgotten about it, but at least we know now. Yeah, Bummer, as he grinned ear to ear.</P>

YATittle1962
07-07-2009, 12:21 AM

</p>

Another depressing loss, which I was at with my 30 year old, born blue, son.</p>

Cunningham gave us a reason to hate him one more time. After we took a 19-3 lead at the half, Cunningham played Houdini, again, and led them to a FG, a 25-30 yard TD toss, and the winning FG. I can't remember exactly how it transpired, just lost memory, lol, but in the TD drive, or the last FG drive, Phillippi Sarks, and another DB, or LB, went at each other. Sparks was either chastising someone, or they were chastizing Sparks, right after a play, right on the field for everyone to see... the defense was in disarray with blown coverages all over the place, and our offense didn't help as our running game was shut down, so we couldn't move the chains and keep possessionand passingbyKannell, was dreadful.</p>

We had four RB's with carries that game... who are they... three are easy and the fourth is tough.</p>

Zim that was such a depressing game.....

sitting there in our stadium watching our team fight each other....

I could not believe what I was seeing.....I remember my son standing up and saying...lets get the hell out of here.....he was up the stairs and out of the stadium and I was still staring in disbelief .....

as for the RBs.......Tiki....Hampton.....Way.....

as for the last one.....I have absolutely no recollection.......

was gunna say Wheatley but I dont think he was even in that game.....

wow Zim .....Im stumped like a chopped down tree.....

I dont wanna look it up.....gunna brain storm a little.....

rbcarpenter
07-07-2009, 01:02 AM

</p>

Another depressing loss, which I was at with my 30 year old, born blue, son.</p>

Cunningham gave us a reason to hate him one more time. After we took a 19-3 lead at the half, Cunningham played Houdini, again, and led them to a FG, a 25-30 yard TD toss, and the winning FG. I can't remember exactly how it transpired, just lost memory, lol, but in the TD drive, or the last FG drive, Phillippi Sarks, and another DB, or LB, went at each other.* Sparks was either chastising someone, or they were chastizing Sparks, right after a play, right on the field for everyone to see... the defense was in disarray with blown coverages all over the place, and our offense didn't help as our running game was shut down, so we couldn't move the chains and keep possession*and passing*by*Kannell, was dreadful.</p>

We had four RB's with carries that game... who are they... three are easy and the fourth is tough.</p>

Zim that was such a depressing game.....

sitting there in our stadium watching our team fight each other....

I could not believe what I was seeing.....I remember my son standing up and saying...lets get the hell out of here.....he was up the stairs and out of the stadium and I was still staring in disbelief .....

as for the RBs.......Tiki....Hampton.....Way.....

as for the last one.....I have absolutely no recollection.......

was gunna say Wheatley but I dont think he was even in that game.....

wow Zim .....Im stumped like a chopped down tree.....

I dont wanna look it up.....gunna brain storm a little.....
i beleive the 4th ball carrier in that game was eric lane.i know this is sour grapes and i should get over it,but on that td pass if you look at it ,carter's 2nd foot came down squarely on the back line of the end zone.that and the 2002 playoff game still rankles me....

zimonami
07-07-2009, 02:20 AM
</P>

i beleive the 4th ball carrier in that game was eric lane.i know this is sour grapes and i should get over it,but on that td pass if you look at it ,carter's 2nd foot came down squarely on the back line of the end zone.that and the 2002 playoff game still rankles me....</P>

</P>

Yeah, rbc, it was Eric Lane, out of TennesseeOnly played that one year, raely got a carry.</P>

Yeah, this game was up there with other big disappointments. Big games that you had in the bag, and let slip away... the Fumble was one, but not a playoff like Minny and SF.</P>

YATittle1962
07-07-2009, 01:14 PM
there was a RB that played for the Giants for 4 seasons in the late 80s that Brandon Jacobs sometimes reminds me of.....

he wore # 33...who was he?

he was quite a bit smaller than Jacobs but was a similar style player

zimonami
07-07-2009, 04:33 PM
there was a RB that played for the Giants for 4 seasons in the late 80s that Brandon Jacobs sometimes reminds me of.....

he wore # 33...who was he?

he was quite a bit smaller than Jacobs but was a similar style player
</P>

That was George Adams. Poor Adams, got himself in the doghousehis rookie yearwith Parcells about fumbling. He had one fumble down at the goal line that nearly gave Parcells a heart attack... I can remember seeing Adams go off right tackle from about the 3-4 nyed line, and a minor hit caused him to fumble. He would have scored otherwise. He cut his fumbling down his 2nd year, but parcells used him sparingly. I liked his style... he was strong and shifty. Less bulk than Jacobs, but a lot of power and moves. More moves than jacobs, but less power.</P>

keyofgmen
07-07-2009, 05:18 PM
When was the last time a Giant QB threw 5 TD passes in a game? Can you name the receivers?

zimonami
07-07-2009, 06:17 PM
When was the last time a Giant QB threw 5 TD passes in a game? Can you name the receivers?</P>

I'm pretty sure YA gave us this before because the answer came right to me... 2000, Kerry Collins in the playoff massacre of the Vikings. Hilliard (2), Toomer, Jurevicius, and the one I missed the first time, Comella. A great day, if you can forget the next game we played.</P>

GIANTSTOMP
07-07-2009, 06:36 PM
What Giant rookie RB ran for a 90+yard TD on his first ever carry in a preseason game?

RODNEY HAMPTON

keyofgmen
07-07-2009, 06:54 PM
When was the last time a Giant QB threw 5 TD passes in a game? Can you name the receivers?</P>

I'm pretty sure YA gave us this before because the answer came right to me...* 2000, Kerry Collins in the playoff massacre of the Vikings.* Hilliard (2), Toomer, Jurevicius, and the one I missed the first time, Comella. A great day, if you can forget the next game we played.</P>

I was wondering when questions would start to be repeats. Sorry.

zimonami
07-07-2009, 08:18 PM

I'm pretty sure YA gave us this before because the answer came right to me... 2000, Kerry Collins in the playoff massacre of the Vikings. Hilliard (2), Toomer, Jurevicius, and the one I missed the first time, Comella. A great day, if you can forget the next game we played.</P>

I was wondering when questions would start to be repeats. Sorry.</P>

NP, Key, it's happened many times. Who can remember or read all the Questions? I was just pleased I knew the answer...lol I don't think I got ot all right the first time.</P>

YATittle1962
07-07-2009, 09:50 PM
in 1983 a D lineman came to the Giants over weight .....he was 25% body fat.....and doing poorly in practice..

after being put on a strict regiment and diet by Ronnie Barnes he took off almost 20lbs and brought his body fat down to 16%.....

....he became a sack machine.....

who was this D lineman?

zimonami
07-07-2009, 10:09 PM
in 1983 a D lineman came to the Giants over weight .....he was 25% body fat.....and doing poorly in practice..

after being put on a strict regiment and diet by Ronnie Barnes he took off almost 20lbs and brought his body fat down to 16%.....

who was this D lineman?
</P>

Wasn't that George Martin? I remember him one time looking all fat faced and pudgy. He always played best when he was light and quick. A great Giant... wish they could all have his attitude Can you ever remember an issue with Martin? I don't recall personal problems, salary problems, legal issues, issues when he wasn't a starter... nothing but the best from that man.</P>

YATittle1962
07-07-2009, 10:14 PM

who was this D lineman?
</p>

Wasn't that George Martin? I remember him one time looking all fat faced and pudgy. He always played best when he was light and quick. A great Giant... wish they could all have his attitude Can you ever remember an issue with Martin? I don't recall personal problems, salary problems, legal issues, issues when he wasn't a starter... nothing but the best from that man.</p>

wasnt George

but a hell of a Giant he was.....

no never any issues......always a stand up guy.....

when he wasnt in the starting lineup.....you never heard a peep...

he was the ultimate team guy.....

we sure could use some more George Martins in the league today.....

zimonami
07-07-2009, 10:36 PM

who was this D lineman?
</P>

Wasn't that George Martin? I remember him one time looking all fat faced and pudgy. He always played best when he was light and quick. A great Giant... wish they could all have his attitude Can you ever remember an issue with Martin? I don't recall personal problems, salary problems, legal issues, issues when he wasn't a starter... nothing but the best from that man.</P>

wasnt George

</P>

Well, I can only fall back on McGriff, who was always hefty, or Jerome Sally, who was a bigger, solid version of Burt. I'd have to say McGriff.</P>

YATittle1962
07-08-2009, 12:38 AM

who was this D lineman?
</p>

Wasn't that George Martin? I remember him one time looking all fat faced and pudgy. He always played best when he was light and quick. A great Giant... wish they could all have his attitude Can you ever remember an issue with Martin? I don't recall personal problems, salary problems, legal issues, issues when he wasn't a starter... nothing but the best from that man.</p>

wasnt George

</p>

Well, I can only fall back on McGriff, who was always hefty, or Jerome Sally, who was a bigger, solid version of Burt. I'd have to say McGriff.</p>

was Leonard Marshall Zim......

in 1985 what stopped Lionel Manuel from having the 1,000 yd season he was on pace for?

rbcarpenter
07-08-2009, 01:43 AM

who was this D lineman?
</p>

Wasn't that George Martin? I remember him one time looking all fat faced and pudgy.* He always played best when he was light and quick. A great Giant... wish they could all have his attitude Can you ever remember an issue with Martin? I don't recall personal problems, salary problems, legal issues, issues when he wasn't a starter... nothing but the best from that man.</p>

wasnt George

</p>

Well, I can only fall back on McGriff, who was always hefty, or Jerome Sally, who was a bigger, solid version of Burt. I'd have to say McGriff.</p>

in 1985 what stopped Lionel Manuel from having the 1,000 yd season he was on pace for?
i think it was a torn hamstring that plauged him into the 86 season......

rbcarpenter
07-08-2009, 01:45 AM
FYI....it took me a month to figure out how to get that rob carpenter pic set up as my avatar!lol!!!i better get pc's for dummies

zimonami
07-08-2009, 02:52 AM

</P>

i think it was a torn hamstring that plauged him into the 86 season......</P>

</P>

Wow, I don't remember Marshall getting that much porkier, that's why I didn't figure it could be him... he was always a big guy. Parcells probably rode him big time. 25% body fat is really bad. I wonder what Stray played at? 5-6%?</P>

I don't remember what injury held back Manuel. With his size, he'd fit right in with our current gnats, Hixon and Moss. Turf Toe? Groin?</P>

It took me a long time, too, rbc. I don't think I had an avatar my whole first year.</P>

rbcarpenter
07-08-2009, 03:11 AM
ok,lets do one after my avatar.after the trade brought him in from houston,wahat was the first game he playedin?oh,and for xtra credit who was the rb ray perkins specifically traded for in the 1980 season,then cut after 7 games?[5 carries,2 rec]

zimonami
07-08-2009, 12:14 PM
ok,lets do one after my avatar.after the trade brought him in from houston,wahat was the first game he playedin?oh,and for xtra credit who was the rb ray perkins specifically traded for in the 1980 season,then cut after 7 games?[5 carries,2 rec]</P>

RC started the season with Houston and then came to us after 4 or 5 games. He had two straight 100 yard games for us, the first was either against St. Louis or Seattle.</P>

I had to look upo the RB in 1980... that was Scott Laidlaw from the Cowboys. I wonder why he was cut so quickly by Perkins. Damaged goods?</P>

I loved Carpenter. The only bad thing about his career with us was his unforced fumble against Chicago in the '85 NFC Championship. I thought that was a turning point at a time that we had a decent drive going. Brutal day.</P>

YATittle1962
07-08-2009, 12:24 PM
ok,lets do one after my avatar.after the trade brought him in from houston,wahat was the first game he playedin?oh,and for xtra credit who was the rb ray perkins specifically traded for in the 1980 season,then cut after 7 games?[5 carries,2 rec]</p>

RC started the season with Houston and then came to us after 4 or 5 games. He had two straight 100 yard games for us, the first was either against St. Louis or Seattle.</p>

I had to look upo the RB in 1980... that was Scott Laidlaw from the Cowboys. I wonder why he was cut so quickly by Perkins. Damaged goods?</p>

I loved Carpenter. The only bad thing about his career with us was his unforced fumble against Chicago in the '85 NFC Championship. I thought that was a turning point at a time that we had a decent drive going. Brutal day.</p>

Good call on the Scott Laidlaw....I remember him as a Cowboy ...but have no recollection of him as a Giant......

yeah Carpenters first game was against St. Louis.....I remember saying lets see what this kid can do...I had my doubts.....but he went and ran for over a hundred yards if I remember correctly...

he may have even scored....

who was the future Giant RB on the other sideline that Carpenter out performed that day?

zimonami
07-08-2009, 01:40 PM
ok,lets do one after my avatar.after the trade brought him in from houston,wahat was the first game he playedin?oh,and for xtra credit who was the rb ray perkins specifically traded for in the 1980 season,then cut after 7 games?[5 carries,2 rec]</P>

RC started the season with Houston and then came to us after 4 or 5 games. He had two straight 100 yard games for us, the first was either against St. Louis or Seattle.</P>

I had to look upo the RB in 1980... that was Scott Laidlaw from the Cowboys. I wonder why he was cut so quickly by Perkins. Damaged goods?</P>

I loved Carpenter. The only bad thing about his career with us was his unforced fumble against Chicago in the '85 NFC Championship. I thought that was a turning point at a time that we had a decent drive going. Brutal day.</P>

Good call on the Scott Laidlaw....I remember him as a Cowboy ...but have no recollection of him as a Giant......

yeah Carpenters first game was against St. Louis.....I remember saying lets see what this kid can do...I had my doubts.....but he went and ran for over a hundred yards if I remember correctly...

he may have even scored....

who was the future Giant RB on the other sideline that Carpenter out performed that day?
</P>

hahaha... none other thanOtis Anderson.</P>

YATittle1962
07-08-2009, 02:20 PM
its no fun without an easy one every once and a while .....[;)]

OJ it was........

in 1981 against the Jets......who were pretty darn good that year.....a 26 - 7 loss

who scored the only Giant TD?

...and who was the last player to touch the ball before the player who scored?

BigBlue1971
07-08-2009, 05:12 PM

OJ it was........

in 1981 against the Jets......who were pretty darn good that year.....a 26 - 7 loss

</P>

</P>

let me jump in here with a part of this answer. i was in the air force and just returned from germany in mid october of 81. my father, brother and i went to that game. if i recall beasley reese scored the only td on a fumble return. i dont know who touched it before beasley did. not much of a homecoming for me. </P>

rbcarpenter
07-08-2009, 05:25 PM

RC started the season with Houston and then came to us after 4 or 5 games.* He had two straight 100 yard games for us, the first was either against St. Louis or* Seattle.</P>

I had to look upo the RB in 1980... that was Scott Laidlaw from the Cowboys.* I wonder why he was cut so quickly by Perkins. * Damaged goods?</P>

I loved Carpenter. The only bad thing about his career with us was his unforced fumble against Chicago in the '85 NFC Championship. I thought that was a turning point at a time that we had a decent drive going. Brutal day.</P>well z,his first game was against the cardinals,14 carries,103 yrds,long of a 35 td.now,the laidlaw thing.he wasnt dammaged goods.perkins lobbied young the whole off season to trade for him because dallas ws rb heavy and taylor and doornink weren't doing too hot.well,they got him,and he sat on the bench for 6 weeks,even though he was on the active list.the 7th game,i THINK he had 5 rush for 10 yrds,2 rec for 5.reporters after the game asked him"well,whats going on ?"he replied,"i really dont know.they brought me in here and didn't play me til today.i think i know the plays well enough to contribute"perkins cut him the next day for speaking about his decisions to the press.

zimonami
07-08-2009, 08:42 PM
</P>

well z,his first game was against the cardinals,14 carries,103 yrds,long of a 35 td.now,the laidlaw thing.he wasnt dammaged goods.perkins lobbied young the whole off season to trade for him because dallas ws rb heavy and taylor and doornink weren't doing too hot.well,they got him,and he sat on the bench for 6 weeks,even though he was on the active list.the 7th game,i THINK he had 5 rush for 10 yrds,2 rec for 5.reporters after the game asked him"well,whats going on ?"he replied,"i really dont know.they brought me in here and didn't play me til today.i think i know the plays well enough to contribute"perkins cut him the next day for speaking about his decisions to the press.</P>

</P>

That was rough for Laidlaw. Coaches are dictators and SL must have done something that ticked Perkins off. Just a thought... he didn't give us as much inside info about Dallas' offense as we were hoping for? Why would Perkins lobby for him, and then not give him a shot?</P>

rbcarpenter
07-08-2009, 08:45 PM
dont know,z.i think it was perkins just flexing his head coach muscle to show the rest of the team not to cross him in the press.just a theory,could be wrong.but it opened the door for my guy the next year.

NJGenerals
07-08-2009, 08:49 PM
<FONT face=Verdana size=4>Can you help me?

XXV- Norwood kicks it, and you see a #46 come in to the picture to try and block it...
Who was that guy???</FONT>

jints10
07-08-2009, 09:10 PM
<font face="Verdana" size="4">Can you help me?

XXV- Norwood kicks it, and you see a #46 come in to the picture to try and block it...
Who was that guy???</font>
Roger Brown DB we got from Greenbay

rbcarpenter
07-08-2009, 09:14 PM
<FONT face=Verdana size=4>Can you help me?

Who was that guy???</FONT>rookie roger brown,8th round pick of green bay that year.

YATittle1962
07-08-2009, 11:44 PM

OJ it was........

</p>

</p>

let me jump in here with a part of this answer. i was in the air force and just returned from germany in mid october of 81. my father, brother and i went to that game. if i recall beasley reese scored the only td on a fumble return. i dont know who touched it before beasley did. not much of a homecoming for me. </p>

yup Reece scored on a blocked punt .....

last one to touch it was Chuck Ramsey Jets punter.....

ok...easy one to get the juices flowing....

in 1998 in a game I remember so clearly for some reason......we blanked the Eagles 20 - 0 at home

the Eagles QB threw 2 picks that day.....

who was the Eagles QB?........and what father of an American Idol winner picked off both balls?

rbcarpenter
07-08-2009, 11:58 PM
the qb was bobby hoying....dont follow american idol,sorry.....sparks,maybe?

YATittle1962
07-08-2009, 11:59 PM
the qb was bobby hoying....dont follow american idol,sorry.....sparks,maybe?

dont follow it either but its pretty widely known....

yup Sparks

NJGenerals
07-09-2009, 12:54 AM
'81? Had to be Jaws, or Pisarcik

YATittle1962
07-09-2009, 04:03 PM
'81? Had to be Jaws, or Pisarcik

which question are you referring to?

YATittle1962
07-09-2009, 09:23 PM
the 1982 strike season.....

the Giants pounded the Eagles 23 - 7 ...mostly through the air.....Brunner had a nice day from what I remember

Terry Jackson had two picks in that game.....

Ron Jaworski threw one ....who threw the other?

jints10
07-09-2009, 09:54 PM
What Giant raced a hoarse on foot?

jints10
07-09-2009, 09:56 PM

the Giants pounded the Eagles 23 - 7 ...mostly through the air.....Brunner had a nice day from what I remember

Joe Pisarchek

zimonami
07-09-2009, 10:09 PM
</P>

I remember seeing that race and can't remember. In my feeble brain the names Ron Dixon or Beesley Reece come to mind. Herschel Walker, too. Probably all of them are wrong, but had to give it a shot. Believe it was against a quarter horse at a quarter horse track.</P>

jints10
07-09-2009, 10:14 PM
</p>

I remember seeing that race and can't remember. In my feeble brain the names Ron Dixon or Beesley Reece come to mind. Herschel Walker, too. Probably all of them are wrong, but had to give it a shot. Believe it was against a quarter horse at a quarter horse track.</p>
It was Beasley and he lost by half a step in a short race

zimonami
07-09-2009, 10:15 PM

</P>

I'll try Wilbert Montgomery... he played a lot at RB then, and probably had a halfback option.</P>

jints10
07-09-2009, 10:18 PM

</p>

I'll try Wilbert Montgomery... he played a lot at RB then, and probably had a halfback option.</p>
I ll stand with Pisarchek, he went to the Eagles after the Giants and was backup to Jaws

Roswell777
07-10-2009, 12:55 AM
I got a good one for you guys...

How many teams have won a super bowl in the 80's, 90's and 00's?

The answer might surprise you.

YATittle1962
07-10-2009, 01:02 AM

</p>

I'll try Wilbert Montgomery... he played a lot at RB then, and probably had a halfback option.</p>

it was RB Louie Giammona

YATittle1962
07-10-2009, 01:06 AM
I got a good one for you guys...

How many teams have won a super bowl in the 80's, 90's and 00's?

The answer might surprise you.

just kinda running through it in my head......this is a long shot ..but....ill say....13.....?

Roswell777
07-10-2009, 01:20 AM
YA I think you misunderstood. The teams have to have won a SB in all 3 decades, the 80's, 90's and 00's. My fault, I wasn't clear.

rbcarpenter
07-10-2009, 01:44 AM
only theg-men,sir.only the g-men.washington won in 80's and 90's,as did the 49ers.no dallas,gb,pittsburgh,new england,nope.

zimonami
07-10-2009, 01:47 AM
YA I think you misunderstood. The teams have to have won a SB in all 3 decades, the 80's, 90's and 00's. My fault, I wasn't clear.</P>

At first this seemed hard... then it was easy only by considering who won in the 90's... Only Denver, Green Bay, San Francisco, Dallas, Washington, and the Giants won in the 90's. Of those teams, only the Giants have won in 2000's, so that eliminates everyone but the Gmen, who also won in '86 season.</P>

We stand alone.</P>

YATittle1962
07-10-2009, 03:05 AM
YA I think you misunderstood. The teams have to have won a SB in all 3 decades, the 80's, 90's and 00's. My fault, I wasn't clear.

I completely misunderstood the question

Roswell777
07-10-2009, 10:22 AM
You're right. Only the Giants have won a SB in each of the last three decades. As a matter of fact, only one team has won 6 SBs, 2 have won 5, 0 have won 4 and 5 have won 3. Which means 8 teams have won 31 of the 43 SBs played.

Name the 8 who have won at least 3 SBs.

zimonami
07-10-2009, 10:59 AM
You're right. Only the Giants have won a SB in each of the last three decades. As a matter of fact, only one team has won 6 SBs, 2 have won 5, 0 have won 4 and 5 have won 3. Which means 8 teams have won 31 of the 43 SBs played.

Name the 8 who have won at least 3 SBs.

</P>

Steelers, Dallas, San Fran, GB, Wash, Patriots, Raiders, and the Gmen</P>

YATittle1962
07-10-2009, 02:00 PM
since we are on the subject of Superbowls.....

how many of the 43 games ended with 5 points or less between the winner and loser?

...and name as many of the teams that played in those games as you can.....

rbcarpenter
07-10-2009, 02:14 PM

how many of the 43 games ended with 5 points or less between the winner and loser?

here we go......v,balt 16-dal 13......x pitt 21-dal 17.....xiii pitt 35-dal 31.....xvi 49ers 26-cin 21.....xxiii 49ers 20- cin 16......xxv GIANTS 20-buf 19.....xxxv ne 20-stl 17......xxxviii ne 32-car 29......xxxviiii ne 24-phi 21.......sb 42 GIANTS 17-ne 14......sb43 pitt 27-az 23.that should be all of them[sorry,i know my roman numerals are off lol!]

YATittle1962
07-10-2009, 02:17 PM

here we go......v,balt 16-dal 13......x pitt 21-dal 17.....xiii pitt 35-dal 31.....xvi 49ers 26-cin 21.....xxiii 49ers 20- cin 16......xxv GIANTS 20-buf 19.....xxxv ne 20-stl 17......xxxviii ne 32-car 29......xxxviiii ne 24-phi 21.......sb 42 GIANTS 17-ne 14......sb43 pitt 27-az 23.that should be all of them[sorry,i know my roman numerals are off lol!]

if that was off the top of your head you should be employed by NASA.......[;)]

rbcarpenter
07-10-2009, 02:37 PM
how did you know where i work?are you stalking me? just kidding,yat.actually,i did do that off the top of my head.i'm not quite as sharp on giants triv from 70-77 because they were so bad then,i tend to block it out.but when it comes to super bowl triv,well...........let's just say i've won a lot of free drinks over the years with it.for some reason,that stuff just kind of sticks to my brain.

Roswell777
07-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Okay, here's part 2 of the question.

Name the teams that have won 2 SBs and the teams that have won only 1 SB.

BigBlue1971
07-10-2009, 05:13 PM

</P>

</P>

dolphins, colts, broncos = 2</P>

bears, bucs = 1</P>

</P>

zimonami
07-10-2009, 11:01 PM

</P>

</P>

bears, bucs = 1</P>

</P>

</P>

KC, Ravens,and Jets - 1 each</P>

jints10
07-11-2009, 11:11 AM

</p>

</p>

dolphins, colts, broncos = 2</p>

bears, bucs = 1</p>

</p>

</p>

KC, Ravens,and Jets - 1 each</p>
Pretty sure the Rams only have one

zimonami
07-11-2009, 03:55 PM

</P>

</P>

bears, bucs = 1</P>

</P>

</P>

KC, Ravens,and Jets - 1 each</P>

Pretty sure the Rams only have one
</P>

TY, jints 10, that should be all of them.</P>

</P>

jints10
07-12-2009, 11:02 AM
When Jerry Garcia died they did something special at Giants Stadium. What did they do?

YATittle1962
07-12-2009, 12:31 PM
When Jerry Garcia died they did something special at Giants Stadium. What did they do?

the last time I saw them was in june of 95 at Giants Stadium....

they werent particularly good those nights and I had an eerie feeling....Jerry didnt seem well......seemed very out of breath......

dont remember what happened at Giants Stadium after his passing......looking forward to the answer...

zimonami
07-12-2009, 03:10 PM

they werent particularly good those nights and I had an eerie feeling....Jerry didnt seem well......seemed very out of breath......

dont remember what happened at Giants Stadium after his passing......looking forward to the answer...
</P>

Hey, YA, I was there, too, for that concert. i'll agree that Jerry's energy seemed low that evening.</P>

Did the Giants play their songs on the PA system? If my son were here I'd have the answer.</P>

jints10
07-12-2009, 03:14 PM

</p>

Hey, YA, I was there, too, for that concert. i'll agree that Jerry's energy seemed low that evening.</p>

Did the Giants play their songs on the PA system? If my son were here I'd have the answer.</p>
Nope they hung a tie dye flag from the top of the Stadium

YATittle1962
07-12-2009, 05:12 PM

</p>

Hey, YA, I was there, too, for that concert. i'll agree that Jerry's energy seemed low that evening.</p>

Did the Giants play their songs on the PA system? If my son were here I'd have the answer.</p>

wow....i dont remember that....thats awesome

zimonami
07-12-2009, 06:00 PM
</P>

</P>

That is cool.</P>

Bob Weir/RatDog is playing upby me at Penn's peak this week. Alaways a good time.</P>

YATittle1962
07-12-2009, 10:03 PM
who was the Safety we acquired from the Patriots in 1981?........at least Im pretty sure it was 81

he stuck around for a few years...did some decent playing one year......I liked his style

he is now the athletic director at a very religious school in South Carolina for almost 20 years

rbcarpenter
07-12-2009, 10:10 PM
who was the Safety we acquired from the Patriots in 1981?........at least Im pretty sure it was 81

he stuck around for a few years...did some decent playing one year......I liked his style

he is now the athletic director at a very religious school in South Carolina for almost 20 years
tha would be bill currier.

YATittle1962
07-12-2009, 10:13 PM

tha would be bill currier.

let me tell ya rbc.....you are on top of your game these days......[B]

I truly enjoy your contributions to the thread

rbcarpenter
07-12-2009, 10:56 PM
i enjoy the mental exercise,yat.keep'em coming!

YATittle1962
07-12-2009, 11:25 PM
first game of the 1966 season.....a 34-34 tie with the Steelers....

in the second quarter its tied 7-7......

3rd and 1.....Morrall fakes the ball to who?......then hits who in the endzone? to make it 14-7

bonus question......how did the Giants first score go down?

zimonami
07-12-2009, 11:50 PM

3rd and 1.....Morrall fakes the ball to who?......then hits who in the endzone? to make it 14-7

</P>

I recall this was a strange game. Our running game did nothing, but Morrall opened our scoring with a long TD pass to Homer Jones and, later in the second half, hit Homer with that 98 yd. TD pass. Isn't that still the Giant record.</P>

Anyways, it was one of my old fav's Bobby Crespino, that Morrall hit for our 2nd TD. Crespino was just OK, but I always liked his name, like "I'll have the Crespino salad with vinegarette"</P>

Morral had to play faje to Ernie Koy or Chuck Mercein. I don't remember which, so I'll pick Chuck.</P>

YATittle1962
07-12-2009, 11:59 PM

</p>

I recall this was a strange game. Our running game did nothing, but Morrall opened our scoring with a long TD pass to Homer Jones and, later in the second half, hit Homer with that 98 yd. TD pass. Isn't that still the Giant record.</p>

Anyways, it was one of my old fav's Bobby Crespino, that Morrall hit for our 2nd TD. Crespino was just OK, but I always liked his name, like "I'll have the Crespino salad with vinegarette"</p>

Morral had to play faje to Ernie Koy or Chuck Mercein. I don't remember which, so I'll pick Chuck.</p>

....and you would be right on the money my friend.....

....anyone remember how many turnovers there were in that game?

and who ran back an interception for the final Giant score?

zimonami
07-13-2009, 12:18 AM

</P>

Wow, there were alot. We fumbked alot, maybe 3-4 times, and Morrall threw 2-3 INT's. I'd say there were at least 7-8 turnovers. I remember Wendell Harris returning a fumble recovery for 70-80 yards, but don't think it was an INT. It was a wild and crazy game. </P>

YATittle1962
07-13-2009, 12:45 PM

</p>

Wow, there were alot. We fumbked alot, maybe 3-4 times, and Morrall threw 2-3 INT's. I'd say there were at least 7-8 turnovers. I remember Wendell Harris returning a fumble recovery for 70-80 yards, but don't think it was an INT. It was a wild and crazy game. </p>

....and once again my memory fails me....

you are right Zim it was a fumble recovery.....I try to ask these straight from memory lots of times and like this time its formula to .....FAIL......hahahaha.....

I asked the turnover question without having an answer...was really asking...haha

I know there were a lot....more by the Giants I believe.......7 or 8 sounds about right

zimonami
07-13-2009, 07:58 PM

</P>

Wow, there were alot. We fumbked alot, maybe 3-4 times, and Morrall threw 2-3 INT's. I'd say there were at least 7-8 turnovers. I remember Wendell Harris returning a fumble recovery for 70-80 yards, but don't think it was an INT. It was a wild and crazy game. </P>

....and once again my memory fails me....

you are right Zim it was a fumble recovery.....I try to ask these straight from memory lots of times and like this time its formula to .....FAIL......hahahaha.....

I asked the turnover question without having an answer...was really asking...haha

I know there were a lot....more by the Giants I believe.......7 or 8 sounds about right
</P>

There is good reason this game and this seasonstands in my mind. To me it was the comfirmation that Allie was killing us. After the 11-3, 1963 season we had the disastrous 2-10-2 season. The fans were restless with all the great vets Allie was dumping. Then '65 came along and we went 7-7 and I was waiting to see if that meant we were heading in the right direction, and misjudged Allie,or not. As you know, the Steeler game turned out to be the second best game for the season. One victory over Washington made us 1-12-1, and that was the end, we thought of Allie. Too bad FO was slow to react. Anyways, I remember that game and figured, we only got around 30 yards on the ground. We can do better on the ground, and we gots Homer... we'll be OK. And after that 34-34 tie it became a long wait for our single W. Brutal. So, the plays to Homer and the fumble return by Harris became the hilite reel for a whole season. Sad. </P>

I looked the game up.Gmen had3 INT's, and 3 Fumble turnovers, and the Steelers had 2 fumbles. We got 32 yards on the ground. If we had a George Young as a GM at that time, I don't think Allie would have been able to dismantle us like he did. Thank God for 1979 and Rozelle telling the Mara's they needed a GM... like a George Young.</P>

YATittle1962
07-14-2009, 12:58 PM
in the 2000 Steelers Giants game......a 30-10 win

what player picked off Stewart......?

......and......

this player was a Giants for 3 years and wore 3 different #s......what were they?

zimonami
07-14-2009, 06:03 PM
in the 2000 Steelers Giants game......a 30-10 win

what player picked off Stewart......?

......and......

this player was a Giants for 3 years and wore 3 different #s......what were they?

</P>

5 hours is long enough to wait... I had to look this one up. Reggie Stephens, #'2 46 28 34. I don't remember him at all. Had 3 INT's in 2000, none his other 2 years.</P>

zimonami
07-14-2009, 06:51 PM
I considered starting a new thread, but this spot is good for idea. It may already exist, but I'm not aware.</P>

In my mind, this is the way Eli and receivers will finish 2009:</P>

Smith - 58 receptions; Hixon - 46; Nicks - 41; Boss - 39; Manningham - 38; Moss - 32; Bradshaw - 20; Barden - 20; Jacobs - 18; Beckum - 15; Matthews - 5; Ware - 5</P>

Thats 337 completions for Eli, at 60% = 562 attempts. 2,850 total yards; that's 8.4 Y/C</P>

Feel free to add your predictions on total catches. If we get enough guys we'll allow a 10% change at end of camp, and 10% after 8 games. and see who comes closest. So, if you predicted Eli completes 300 passes, you can change your numbers/players distributionfor 30 total passes to make your final predictions for the year.</P>

Just for Fun (JFF)</P>

keyofgmen
07-14-2009, 07:01 PM
I like to visit and contribute to this thread as an "ole timer". But I gotta say that I really would like to keep with the add the * to answers given after looking up. Nothing wrong with looking up, but let's be honest. I know Giants history, but sometimes I can't believe someone could actually remember the specific details of a game 40-50 years ago. Maybe I'm just not that able to remember!

Love this thread. I wish I had more time to contribute. Some of you may remember when I ran a "TRIVIA FOR TICKETS" thread for a few years. I gave away 2 pre-season seats for the winner of the contest. I stopped because there were too many idiotic responses, and I was afraid to give seats to a troll.

Keep it up YA and Zim.

YATittle1962
07-14-2009, 08:31 PM
I considered starting a new thread, but this spot is good for idea. It may already exist, but I'm not aware.</p>

In my mind, this is the way Eli and receivers will finish 2009:</p>

Smith - 58 receptions; Hixon - 46; Nicks - 41; Boss - 39; Manningham - 38; Moss - 32; Bradshaw - 20; Barden - 20; Jacobs - 18; Beckum - 15; Matthews - 5; Ware - 5</p>

Thats 337 completions for Eli, at 60% = 562 attempts. 2,850 total yards; that's 8.4 Y/C</p>

Feel free to add your predictions on total catches. If we get enough guys we'll allow a 10% change at end of camp, and 10% after 8 games. and see who comes closest. So, if you predicted Eli completes 300 passes, you can change your numbers/players distributionfor 30 total passes to make your final predictions for the year.</p>

Just for Fun (JFF)</p>

Im in Zim

Hixon-52
Smith-43
Nicks-40
Boss-37
Beckum-34
Moss-25
Manningham-19
Bradshaw-19
Jacobs-13
Brown-13
Barden-9
Matthews-8
Hedge****-8
Ware-3

323 completions at 57% of 567 attempts.........for 3,039 yds thats around 9.4 Y/C

let the games begin

BigBlue1971
07-14-2009, 09:51 PM
</P>

smith 63; hixon 48; nicks; 41; boss 40; moss 26; manningham 26; beckum 25;bradshaw 22; jacobs 21; barden 16; hedge**** 11; ware 8; matthews 8; brown 5.</P>

360 comp out of 584 attempts for 61%rate and 8.9 y/c. </P>

</P>

YATittle1962
07-15-2009, 05:55 PM
in 1987 the Giants first win came in week 6 against the Cardinals....

what future Eagle return man returned kicks/punts that day for the Cardinals for 116 yds?

for the record....I have always hated this guy

zimonami
07-15-2009, 09:08 PM
in 1987 the Giants first win came in week 6 against the Cardinals....

what future Eagle return man returned kicks/punts that day for the Cardinals for 116 yds?

for the record....I have always hated this guy
</P>

That was the hated Vai Sikahema. We mentioned him before... every Giant fan will remember his disrespect</P>

rbcarpenter
07-15-2009, 09:40 PM
you guys don't have to deal with that moron on your television set every day.he is a local sports caster down here,and even though i'm surrounded by eagle fans they all agree with me........he's an idiot.

BigBlue1971
07-15-2009, 09:42 PM
you guys don't have to deal with that moron on your television set every day.he is a local sports caster down here,and even though i'm surrounded by eagle fans they all agree with me........he's an idiot.</P>

</P>

rb, isnt beasley reece a sports personality in philly as well? i was there a few weeks ago and thought i saw him on some network. </P>

zimonami
07-15-2009, 11:26 PM
you guys don't have to deal with that moron on your television set every day.he is a local sports caster down here,and even though i'm surrounded by eagle fans they all agree with me........he's an idiot.</P>

</P>

rb, isnt beasley reece a sports personality in philly as well? i was there a few weeks ago and thought i saw him on some network. </P>

</P>

I'm in NE Pa and except for Fox, get no NY CBS, NBC, or ABC. So I see Vai and Beesley once in a while. I always figure Beesley is still Blue in his heart. It pains me to see him describe an Eagle victory against us.</P>

YATittle1962
07-16-2009, 12:04 AM
you guys don't have to deal with that moron on your television set every day.he is a local sports caster down here,and even though i'm surrounded by eagle fans they all agree with me........he's an idiot.

did he go on to have some lame boxing career?

he will always hold a dark dark spot of hatred in my soul......

rbcarpenter
07-16-2009, 12:23 AM

"a dark spot of hatred on my soul".YAT,you outdid yourself on that one!CLASSIC!yes,reese is a sports caster down here as well,but he is a lot more thoughtful and and intelligent in his job than pukahema ever is.vai is just a crybaby philadelphia homer like all the rest down this way[except beasley].

zimonami
07-16-2009, 12:57 AM

</P>

Yes... Vai had a celebrity boxing exhibition with Jose Canseco a few years ago. Vai kicked his bigger, taller butt, easy. Canseco turned out to be a big wussy with far less athletic talent than I thought. </P>

zimonami
07-16-2009, 01:00 AM

"a dark spot of hatred on my soul".YAT,you outdid yourself on that one!CLASSIC!yes,reese is a sports caster down here as well,but he is a lot more thoughtful and and intelligent in his job than pukahema ever is.vai is just a crybaby philadelphia homer like all the rest down this way[except beasley].</P>

Yeah, YA crossed to the "Dark Side" there for a bit... lol. I hate the mutha, too, for boxing the Giant goalpost pads... YA was more eloquent, yet threatening... wouldn't you hate to be one of those dark spots in YA's soul?</P>

rbcarpenter
07-16-2009, 03:57 AM

"a dark spot of hatred on my soul".YAT,you outdid yourself on that one!CLASSIC!yes,reese is a sports caster down here as well,but he is a lot more thoughtful and and intelligent in his job than pukahema ever is.vai is just a crybaby philadelphia homer like all the rest down this way[except beasley].</P>

Yeah, YA crossed to the "Dark Side" there for a bit... lol.* I hate the mutha, too, for boxing the Giant goalpost pads... YA was more eloquent, yet threatening... wouldn't you hate to be one of those dark spots in YA's soul?</P>stop it,zim,you're scaring me.

zimonami
07-16-2009, 01:59 PM

Yeah, YA crossed to the "Dark Side" there for a bit... lol. I hate the mutha, too, for boxing the Giant goalpost pads... YA was more eloquent, yet threatening... wouldn't you hate to be one of those dark spots in YA's soul?</P>

stop it,zim,you're scaring me.</P>

lol... YA is a *****cat, on here anyways. He is so nice it just seems like sometimes he shows signs</P>

of a macabre sense of humor... sort of like my artist son. YA is an artist and he has that sense of humor that never enters my feeble mind. Makes for good fun.</P>

Hey, rbc, I fibgured there might be a nice, color avatar of Carpenter to find for you, and dang, I couldn't find anything. Searched his name for a good while, and found nothing. Not even a TOPPs. Surely there has to be some nice ones out there. He ran in the 80's, not 50 yeaars ago</P>

YATittle1962
07-16-2009, 02:13 PM

"a dark spot of hatred on my soul".YAT,you outdid yourself on that one!CLASSIC!yes,reese is a sports caster down here as well,but he is a lot more thoughtful and and intelligent in his job than pukahema ever is.vai is just a crybaby philadelphia homer like all the rest down this way[except beasley].</p>

Yeah, YA crossed to the "Dark Side" there for a bit... lol. I hate the mutha, too, for boxing the Giant goalpost pads... YA was more eloquent, yet threatening... wouldn't you hate to be one of those dark spots in YA's soul?</p>

stop it,zim,you're scaring me.</p>

lol... YA is a *****cat, on here anyways. He is so nice it just seems like sometimes he shows signs</p>

of a macabre sense of humor... sort of like my artist son. YA is an artist and he has that sense of humor that never enters my feeble mind. Makes for good fun.</p>

Hey, rbc, I fibgured there might be a nice, color avatar of Carpenter to find for you, and dang, I couldn't find anything. Searched his name for a good while, and found nothing. Not even a TOPPs. Surely there has to be some nice ones out there. He ran in the 80's, not 50 yeaars ago</p>

wow.....my name used in the same sentence as the great Macabre artform.....Im honored....

it makes me feel all warm and Edgar Allen Poe inside

how many games into the 1976 season did Bill Arnsbarger survive?

.....and when was his last win....and who was it against?

zimonami
07-16-2009, 04:53 PM
</P>

wow.....my name used in the same sentence as the great Macabre artform.....Im honored....

it makes me feel all warm and Edgar Allen Poe inside

how many games into the 1976 season did Bill Arnsbarger survive?

.....and when was his last win....and who was it against?
</P>

I'd have to look it up. Around midseason, loss to Philly at home, game 7,8, or 9?</P>

The last win was, I think, the last game of the year in '75, but I can't remember the opponent. </P>

We go 4-2 preseason in '76, and ya always got to look for a ray of hope. Then we eneded up losing 8-9 games in a row to start the season. Dreadful team for the inaugaral Giant Stadium.</P>

rbcarpenter
07-17-2009, 12:44 AM

Yeah, YA crossed to the "Dark Side" there for a bit... lol.* I hate the mutha, too, for boxing the Giant goalpost pads... YA was more eloquent, yet threatening... wouldn't you hate to be one of those dark spots in YA's soul?</P>

lol... YA is a *****cat, on here anyways.* He is so nice it just seems like sometimes he shows signs</P>

of a macabre sense of humor... sort of like my artist son.* YA is an artist and he has that sense of humor that never enters my feeble mind.* Makes for good fun.</P>

Hey, rbc, I fibgured there might be a nice, color avatar of Carpenter to find for you, and dang, I couldn't find anything.* Searched his name for a good while, and found nothing.* Not even a TOPPs. Surely there has to be some nice ones out there.* He ran in the 80's, not 50 yeaars ago</P>i know,tried to find a color one myself,the best i could do was him coming out of the backfield to catch a pass in a game against the rams,but you could only see him from waist up and half of his back.i remember a great picture of him busting through the line in the wildcard game against the eagles,but i couldn't find it anywhere.

byron
07-17-2009, 01:08 AM

lol... YA is a *****cat, on here anyways. He is so nice it just seems like sometimes he shows signs</P>

of a macabre sense of humor... sort of like my artist son. YA is an artist and he has that sense of humor that never enters my feeble mind. Makes for good fun.</P>

Hey, rbc, I fibgured there might be a nice, color avatar of Carpenter to find for you, and dang, I couldn't find anything. Searched his name for a good while, and found nothing. Not even a TOPPs. Surely there has to be some nice ones out there. He ran in the 80's, not 50 yeaars ago</P>

i know,tried to find a color one myself,the best i could do was him coming out of the backfield to catch a pass in a game against the rams,but you could only see him from waist up and half of his back.i remember a great picture of him busting through the line in the wildcard game against the eagles,but i couldn't find it anywhere. I got looking around nothing else to do check this link I am coming across a few</P>

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&amp;rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&amp;rlz=1I7DKUS_en&amp;um=1&amp;q=rob+carpenter&amp;sa=N &amp;start=100&amp;ndsp=20</P>

http://www.checkoutmycards.com/Players/Football/Rob_RB_Carpenter/315722</P>

jints10
07-17-2009, 10:21 AM
How many 300 yard+ games does Eli have in his career?

zimonami
07-17-2009, 11:36 AM
</P>

Don't think he had any in his rookie year, and I know he had none last year. In his middle three seasons I'd guess (2) each season, for a total of 6- 300 yd. games. I think most of them were when we lost and Eli had to pass a lot to try to catch up.</P>

peerless
07-17-2009, 11:47 AM
when phil simms passed for 5tds against the cards to open the 1980 season who caught 4 of those TDs?</P>

jints10
07-17-2009, 12:00 PM
</p>

Don't think he had any in his rookie year, and I know he had none last year. In his middle three seasons I'd guess (2) each season, for a total of 6- 300 yd. games. I think most of them were when we lost and Eli had to pass a lot to try to catch up.</p>
Its lower Zim

As far as the 1980 season opener goes if your talking receiving feats in the early 80s ya gotta go with Ernie Gray

peerless
07-17-2009, 12:02 PM
</P>

Don't think he had any in his rookie year, and I know he had none last year. In his middle three seasons I'd guess (2) each season, for a total of 6- 300 yd. games. I think most of them were when we lost and Eli had to pass a lot to try to catch up.</P>

Its lower Zim

As far as the 1980 season opener goes if your talking receiving feats in the early 80s ya gotta go with Ernie Gray

</P>

yes indeed </P>

next </P>

who did the giants play against in the first game played in giatns stadium in 1976 and what was the outcome</P>

jints10
07-17-2009, 12:08 PM
</p>

Don't think he had any in his rookie year, and I know he had none last year. In his middle three seasons I'd guess (2) each season, for a total of 6- 300 yd. games. I think most of them were when we lost and Eli had to pass a lot to try to catch up.</p>

Its lower Zim

</p>

yes indeed </p>

next </p>

who did the giants play against in the first game played in giatns stadium in 1976 and what was the outcome</p>
That would be the Cowboys and the Giants lost......dont know the score though

Harooni
07-17-2009, 12:13 PM
</p>

Its lower Zim

</p>

</p>

yes indeed </p>

next </p>

who did the giants play against in the first game played in giatns stadium in 1976 and what was the outcome</p>

the boys and i think it was a tie. not 100 percent sure.

peerless
07-17-2009, 12:26 PM
it was the boys and they lost 24-17</P>

first home game ever was againt????????? (polo grounds)</P>

yo-ho
07-17-2009, 12:43 PM
</P>

Not that many</P>

BigBlue1971
07-17-2009, 12:43 PM
when phil simms passed for 5tds against the cards to open the 1980 season who caught 4 of those TDs?</P>

</P>

</P>

earnest gray. i thought they wouldve won that game! </P>

zimonami
07-17-2009, 02:49 PM
</P>

Its lower Zim

</P>

OK, so I'll say 5. I know he had 2- 300 yd games in his first full year, 2005. I think he had 2 -300 yd games in 2007, so that leaves 1 for 2006, and none last year.</P>

jints10
07-17-2009, 04:22 PM
</p>

Its lower Zim

</p>

OK, so I'll say 5. I know he had 2- 300 yd games in his first full year, 2005. I think he had 2 -300 yd games in 2007, so that leaves 1 for 2006, and none last year.</p>
Yup 5 it is

Roswell777
07-17-2009, 04:52 PM
All right guys, here you go.

In the very early 70s the Giants had a WR from Grambling. I think he only played one year, but he was one of those guys you heard was going to be the second coming but he wasn't. He was tall and fast and had a good college career.

And he shared a name with the butler from Trading Places.

Who is he?

YATittle1962
07-17-2009, 05:12 PM
All right guys, here you go.

In the very early 70s the Giants had a WR from Grambling. I think he only played one year, but he was one of those guys you heard was going to be the second coming but he wasn't. He was tall and fast and had a good college career.

And he shared a name with the butler from Trading Places.

Who is he?

thats Coleman Zeno out of Grambling State....

pretty sure he was a New Orleans guy.....

he put up big numbers in college and barely caught a pass in the NFL....

that was pretty early 70s......between 70 and 74...gotta be cus that was when I was following college ball really closely.....

he was really tall 6'5" or 6'6" something like that....

I though he was going to be a huge pick up ......then he disappeared

we picked him pretty high.....cant remember exactly where ...but high.....I thought I was on to something.....

i was onto a dud

Roswell777
07-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Can you believe in '71 we heard Zeno was the answer and I think in '72 we heard Rocky Thompson was the answer. Sort of sums up the early 70s.

YATittle1962
07-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Can you believe in '71 we heard Zeno was the answer and I think in '72 we heard Rocky Thompson was the answer. Sort of sums up the early 70s.

Ros I still have notebooks full of notes that I took all through the 70 full of notes on college players...I should find them and take a look at them...

I had aspirations to be a scout.......so I would kind of do my own scouting process.....

so many of my picks turned out to be busts so I lost faith in my skills.....hahahaha

but Zeno was at the top of my list in ...yeah I guess it was 71.....he was one of my busts I was so high on......

I remember in 74 I was sort of on to something.........i wanted us to get Wilbur Jackson and Lynn Swann......obviously didnt happen.....

not to many years later my scouting dreams dyed

and yeah Rocky Thompson....dont even get me started

Roswell777
07-17-2009, 05:33 PM
The Giants have had so many WRs that didn't pan out for one reason or another that it's no wonder they've spent a lot of early picks on WRs for the last 3 years.

Jamaar Taylor, Ron Dixon, Thomas Lewis, Brian Alford, Zeno, Thompson, that guy Mix that everybody thought was the second coming of Harold Carmichael.

Can you name any other WR busts that the Giants wasted picks on?

EazyEManning
07-17-2009, 06:03 PM
The Giants have had so many WRs that didn't pan out for one reason or another that it's no wonder they've spent a lot of early picks on WRs for the last 3 years.

Jamaar Taylor, Ron Dixon, Thomas Lewis, Brian Alford, Zeno, Thompson, that guy Mix that everybody thought was the second coming of Harold Carmichael.

Can you name any other WR busts that the Giants wasted picks on?

Ha, where Sinorice Moss on that list? I cant believe that we traded up for him.

Roswell777
07-17-2009, 07:00 PM
This is a make or break year for Moss. I'm not saying he's going to be Wes Welker, but if you look at how many times Welker got into the end zone in his first two years I think you'd be surprised.

YATittle1962
07-17-2009, 07:14 PM
This is a make or break year for Moss. I'm not saying he's going to be Wes Welker, but if you look at how many times Welker got into the end zone in his first two years I think you'd be surprised.

he can totally be a Welker type player if they use him right.....

give him more of those shallow cross routes and short curls where he would most likey be matched up with a LB or safety .....with his speed his YAC would skyrocket I think......

they want him to be a deep guy.....I think that is misusing your talent......but hey....who the hell am I?

rbcarpenter
07-18-2009, 12:44 AM
all right fellows,back to trivia.in 1985,the g-men played the cowturds in the meadowlands,losing 30-29,on a last second field goal.a running back for the giants scored on a 70 yard screen pass from simms.a-who was he b-where did he go to college,and....c-who was the giants place kicker?

YATittle1962
07-18-2009, 12:59 AM
all right fellows,back to trivia.in 1985,the g-men played the cowturds in the meadowlands,losing 30-29,on a last second field goal.a running back for the giants scored on a 70 yard screen pass from simms.a-who was he b-where did he go to college,and....c-who was the giants place kicker?

i remember that game pretty clearly.....we made a pretty heavy come back in the 3rd quarter....

and I actually remember the play because I have that game on dvd and watched some parts of it a few months ago....

it was George Adams out of Kentucky.....#33...

he was a first rounder that never really materialized.

didnt he not play during the SB run then played the next year or something like that.....

I could be totally wrong....

cant remember who the kicker was......I know he wasnt a Giant for very long.....his name escapes me

rbcarpenter
07-18-2009, 02:14 AM

i remember that game pretty clearly.....we made a pretty heavy come back in the 3rd quarter....

and I actually remember the play because I have that game on dvd and watched some parts of it a few months ago....

didnt he not play during the SB run then played the next year or something like that.....

cant remember who the kicker was......I know he wasnt a Giant for very long.....his name escapes me
you are exactly right with g adams,#33,kentucky.i believe at the end of the 85 season he had some kind of hip problem that cut short his career.the kicker was.........jess atkinson.

rbcarpenter
07-18-2009, 02:19 AM

you are exactly right with g adams,#33,kentucky.i believe at the end of the 85 season he had some kind of hip problem that cut short his career.the kicker was.........jess atkinson.whoops,have to correct myself here.i looked it up,and adams missed all of the 86 season but stayed on the team for 3 more years.finished out his days with 2 totally forgetable seasons in new england.such a shame,i thought the giants would have a terrific 1-2 punch in the backfield for years to come[morris and adams],but it never materialized.

zimonami
07-19-2009, 12:15 AM

you are exactly right with g adams,#33,kentucky.i believe at the end of the 85 season he had some kind of hip problem that cut short his career.the kicker was.........jess atkinson.whoops,have to correct myself here.i looked it up,and adams missed all of the 86 season but stayed on the team for 3 more years.finished out his days with 2 totally forgetable seasons in new england.such a shame,i thought the giants would have a terrific 1-2 punch in the backfield for years to come[morris and adams],but it never materialized.</P>

George fumbled 7X his rookie year and was always in Parcell's dog house. I remember a fumble at home when we were 3-4 yards from the goal line and Adams fumbled from a minor hit on his arm. parcell's went ballistic and George rode the pine for the rest of the game. I don't remember his injury problem in '86, but he just ran for a cup of coffee while Morris flourished. George could have been good, but we'll never know.</P>

YATittle1962
07-19-2009, 12:25 AM
Parcells first win as head coach came against who?

it was a nice OT win......

I remember watching that game from home truly thinking this guy was the answer....

by week 11 I wanted him run out of town.....

what 3 players got sacks in that game?

Roswell777
07-19-2009, 09:22 AM

I remember watching that game from home truly thinking this guy was the answer....

Great question YA.

I'm going to play the percentages here and guess that they beat the Cardinals and LT, George Martin and Harry Carson had sacks. Probably wrong but a good guess.

mercury91
07-19-2009, 09:54 AM

Atlanta Falcons Rob Carpenter had an awesome game that's all I remember...

YATittle1962
07-19-2009, 08:45 PM

it was the Falcons...

the three sackers were.....George Martin, Dee Hardison, and Pete Shaw

ok......I just saw this one on Beer Money and got it wrong .......I was mortified

in 2007 who led the team with 6 rushing TDs?

zimonami
07-19-2009, 10:54 PM

it was the Falcons...

the three sackers were.....George Martin, Dee Hardison, and Pete Shaw

ok......I just saw this one on Beer Money and got it wrong .......I was mortified

in 2007 who led the team with 6 rushing TDs?
</P>

I was sure it was Jacobs, but something nagged at me, so I looked it up... Reuben Droughns. Brings back more remembrances for his contributions. He just wasn't as big and fast as Jacobs so he wasn't used much, but he was effective inside the 10 for us.</P>

jints10
07-20-2009, 10:41 AM
In the 80s who did the Giants get at RB that had led the NFL in receptions?