PDA

View Full Version : Defeat vs. Ravens Could End Giants' Playoff Hopes

RoanokeFan
12-21-2012, 09:01 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...j42HkNQRuojIKI (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/game_full_of_giant_stakes_wbsa749Sj42HkNQRuojIKI)

Excerpt: "It’s not out of the question the reigning Super Bowl champs could be eliminated from the playoffs this Sunday — with a week still to go in the regular season.

The possibility of that very embarrassing turn of events was very much on the Giants’ minds yesterday, resulting in a team that has lacked focus all season to insist it is thoroughly focused on what could be a do-or-die visit to Baltimore this weekend.

“It’s serious now,” defensive tackle Chris Canty said. “This is it — this is our season Sunday. We need to win two games to get [into the playoffs], and this is what you thrive on. This is what excites you. This is what motivates you to lift all those weights in the offseason.”

Although the 8-6 Giants are the only team in the NFC East that controls its own destiny, they can throw it all away Sunday afternoon at M&T Bank Stadium. A loss to the Ravens combined with wins by the Cowboys and Redskins and a win or tie by the Seahawks would boot Big Blue from the playoff race.The only possible comfort for the Giants is they were facing virtually this exact scenario a year ago and responded by running the table to another Lombardi Trophy in stunning fashion.

But coming off last week’s 34-0 rout by the Falcons (the Giants’ first regular-season shutout loss since 1996), you can excuse coach Tom Coughlin and his players if they aren’t bold enough to predict a similarly inspired performance." Read more...

stormblue
12-21-2012, 09:29 AM
well...like Yogi said.....it ain't over 'til it's over.....

worse comes to worst , we'll have to root for the Niners on Sunday night.

GameTime
12-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Last week the media was calling the Falcons as possible frauds before the Giants game. I was saying if the Giants dont show up they are the ones who are the frauds. I still feel like that. I cant belive at how many people I hear calling into the local sports stations who actually believe they will turn it on this week and make a run. I just dont see it. 07 and last year are gone and IMO so are the Giants. Optimosm isgreat but listen to the players......they dont sound too optimistic. They kind of sound like they dont know what the **** is going on.....

wuzpapn
12-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Kind of agree with GameTime here. It just doesn't seem like we have that same "swagger" and momentum going from last year. Even during the regular season our pass rush was making huge plays, which has been lack this season. They need to step up huge for us so Eli can start doing his thing again as well.

Buddy333
12-21-2012, 09:39 AM
They are almost exactly like they where last year. A 9-7 team. Last year everything lined up for them right so they could make the playoffs and they got hot at the right time. This is not last year. If they are not going to make the playoffs they might as well lose the next two.

embeshAtYa
12-21-2012, 09:50 AM
its what we deserve. Ive had enough of this rollercoaster. enough is enough. Come out to a huge game like that vs atlanta and play like that? No excuse. I feel bad for Tom Coughlin

M00KIE
12-21-2012, 12:35 PM
It takes a spark. On big play can do it. We'll know on Sunday.

Red Dog
12-21-2012, 01:48 PM
could? I'm sure you meant will end

RonJon
12-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Just our luck that Ray Lewis probably returns just in time to face the Giants

Moke
12-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Just our luck that Ray Lewis probably returns just in time to face the Giants

Hopefully he's still a little shaken up

talbot
12-21-2012, 02:35 PM
For what its worth (according to) ESPN: After a loss, the Giants are 4-1, averaging 37 points and 441 YPG.

BillTheGreek
12-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Last week the media was calling the Falcons as possible frauds before the Giants game. I was saying if the Giants dont show up they are the ones who are the frauds. I still feel like that. I cant belive at how many people I hear calling into the local sports stations who actually believe they will turn it on this week and make a run. I just dont see it. 07 and last year are gone and IMO so are the Giants. Optimosm isgreat but listen to the players......they dont sound too optimistic. They kind of sound like they dont know what the **** is going on.....

Well Said ^^

G-MANning4Life
12-21-2012, 06:36 PM
As it should. The Giants have had plenty of opportunity to seal a playoff spot this season from early on. Now their backs are against the wall. I would love to see it happen, make the playoffs and make a real run for the championship. However, if it doesn't happen, it will be more cause to look ahead to next season and determine the weaknesses of the team and where adjustments need to be made.