PDA

View Full Version : Our d-line is injured, that is all.

Coach Carter
12-21-2012, 09:40 PM
All of a sudden you guys want to trade the guys who won us two superbowls? Dudes are playing injured and we have a defensive coordinator who is scared to blitz to get the d-line one-on-one matchups.

Actually, opposing teams are having their running back immediately chip our defensive ends, if you look closely, you'll see they don't even look inside for the blitz. When Fewell does decide to blitz Blackburn, he gets in untouched. Fewell needs to blitz more while playing more man coverage. To me it makes more sense than rushing four, giving a qb five seconds to throw, and giving up a play for over 30yrds. I would rather give up 30 yds on a blitz than give up 30yds dropping seven men in coverage.

Last grip:

1. where is the rush up the middle?

2. where is the running game?

Rudyy
12-21-2012, 09:45 PM
Tuck is softer than Ice Cream, that dude is just so done. He can't even beat single coverage.
Osi doesn't have any technique except over rush, he might get a strip sack once in a while..but other than that. These guys are done.

ozzie0075
12-21-2012, 09:59 PM
At this point there is no defending Tuck. Had a poor season last year and admitted he considered retirement and this season he has been non existent. Its at the point where the Giants pass rush might improve if he is unable to play this weekend. He is done.

Cloud57
12-21-2012, 09:59 PM
We have an average Dline that's the fact. All the teams in the league want pass rushers, we no longer have that "dominant pass rush" like we did in the past.

radar-ray
12-21-2012, 10:08 PM
All of a sudden you guys want to trade the guys who won us two superbowls? Dudes are playing injured and we have a defensive coordinator who is scared to blitz to get the d-line one-on-one matchups.

Actually, opposing teams are having their running back immediately chip our defensive ends, if you look closely, you'll see they don't even look inside for the blitz. When Fewell does decide to blitz Blackburn, he gets in untouched. Fewell needs to blitz more while playing more man coverage. To me it makes more sense than rushing four, giving a qb five seconds to throw, and giving up a play for over 30yrds. I would rather give up 30 yds on a blitz than give up 30yds dropping seven men in coverage.

Last grip:

Agree> Where's the blitz. Fewell predictable on the D, Gillbride predictable on the O.

BuffyBlueII
12-21-2012, 10:21 PM
I am as down in the dumps about our recent performances as most of you. However, no matter how bad things look right now, we are NY Giants and we still control our destiny. This is an organization that is full of legacy and pride and I know our current guys have what it takes and I am confident they find it and let it all out.Go Big Blue!

Buddy333
12-21-2012, 10:33 PM
The offense as even bigger problems.

GentleGiant
12-21-2012, 11:12 PM
The offense as even bigger problems.

Good old buddy.

bearbryant
12-21-2012, 11:20 PM
I can't wait till the D comes out puts a pick 6 up on the board, get 5 sacks and gives up 6 points all day. What then, grasshopper?

Buddy333
12-21-2012, 11:47 PM
The league is geared for scoring. There is only one dominant defense in the league and even he are not even lose to being the 2000 Ravens. The Giants biggest problem is their offense. In a scoring league he put up field goals when other teams score TD's.

JJC7301
12-22-2012, 12:06 AM
I am so sick and tired of making excuses for this d-line:

Osi is a one-trick pony. Excellent at the strip sack, but stinks against the run and is too inconsistent.

Tuck is past his prime or lost his desire.

Canty blows. I love JR, but he made a HUUUGGGGGEEEE MISTAKE in not keeping Cofield instead of Canty. Canty and Cofield make the same money per year, and Canty's contract with the Giants was for 1 year more than Cofield's with the 'skins. Tired of some people calling Canty out as a "beast." Guy has like 2 good games a year and people call him a beast. And that's only when he's healthy.

Joseph is pretty good, but not great. He's not a problem, but he's not good enough to make up for Tuck, Osi and Canty stinking up the joint.

JPP is having a down year, but lets see what he does next year before passing judgement on him. Guy did have a fantastic year last year. I do get worried that he may be lazy, as if things came too easily for him so early on.

WiIdcat
12-22-2012, 12:46 AM

Osi is a one-trick pony. Excellent at the strip sack, but stinks against the run and is too inconsistent.

Tuck is past his prime or lost his desire.

Canty blows. I love JR, but he made a HUUUGGGGGEEEE MISTAKE in not keeping Cofield instead of Canty. Canty and Cofield make the same money per year, and Canty's contract with the Giants was for 1 year more than Cofield's with the 'skins. Tired of some people calling Canty out as a "beast." Guy has like 2 good games a year and people call him a beast. And that's only when he's healthy.

Joseph is pretty good, but not great. He's not a problem, but he's not good enough to make up for Tuck, Osi and Canty stinking up the joint.

JPP is having a down year, but lets see what he does next year before passing judgement on him. Guy did have a fantastic year last year. I do get worried that he may be lazy, as if things came too easily for him so early on.

JPP is actually playing better than last year. He is dominant against the run but a little less productive in the pass rushing area. Sacks numbers don't equal pass rush efficiency. The entire dline around him sucks *** otherwise the numbers would be there.

BigBlueCrew88
12-22-2012, 01:42 AM
Make no mistake, last year was all Eli. We had no business being near the playoffs, Eli brought us there. That Defense and run game were terrible all throughout the season.

NYCDBS
12-22-2012, 03:58 AM
Let's just wait and see If they get up for this game Sunday. Granted the Atlanta game was terrible but this defense has absolutely dismantled some good teams this year...

EnragedYouth85
12-22-2012, 05:27 AM
The league is geared for scoring. There is only one dominant defense in the league and even he are not even lose to being the 2000 Ravens. The Giants biggest problem is their offense. In a scoring league he put up field goals when other teams score TD's.

I think you need to put your words in Word to have spell check available..

M00KIE
12-22-2012, 06:31 AM
Everyone in the NFL is injured. Tuck didn't say anything about injury. He said he's not into it mentally. Therefore, he's done.

Tmurda1984
12-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Everyone in the NFL is injured. Tuck didn't say anything about injury. He said he's not into it mentally. Therefore, he's done.

Is the OP serious? You mean to tell me that a few bump and bruises is effecting these guys? Terrell Suggs tore his ACL, and he's been more productive than Tuck. The OP must not have noticed the regression we seen from Tuck the last few season.

Buddy333
12-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Starting to think its more of him just not being into it than being able to play. He seems like a laid back kind of guy.

Marvelousmik
12-22-2012, 11:58 AM
JPP is actually playing better than last year.

lol sometimes i wonder if people actually believe some of the things that they say. just curious.

Marvelousmik
12-22-2012, 11:59 AM

im tired of the excuses period

Cloud57
12-22-2012, 12:00 PM
lol sometimes i wonder if people actually believe some of the things that they say. just curious.Some people only see what they want to see.

nycisgreat
12-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Tuck is softer than Ice Cream, that dude is just so done. He can't even beat single coverage.
Osi doesn't have any technique except over rush, he might get a strip sack once in a while..but other than that. These guys are done.

+1. Tuck and Osi are well past their primes. Tuck's shoulders are shot, and Osi is more concerned about getting sacks. 2007/08 Tuck is gone forever.

Buddy333
12-22-2012, 12:15 PM
You know it's easy to call someone soft when you don't really know what's going on with the person. Maybe his mind isn't into it, but that could be because of his body breaking down. He had a bad shoulder. Shoulder injuries are tough.

nycisgreat
12-22-2012, 12:34 PM
You know it's easy to call someone soft when you don't really know what's going on with the person. Maybe his mind isn't into it, but that could be because of his body breaking down. He had a bad shoulder. Shoulder injuries are tough.

No one here isn't saying anything that wasn't said by Giants head coach. Coughlin himself called the whole defense soft. Do you disagree with the coach. We are only stating the obvious.

NorwoodBlue
12-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Make no mistake, last year was all Eli. We had no business being near the playoffs, Eli brought us there. That Defense and run game were terrible all throughout the season.

That's not exactly true. When Fewell went to a more attacking defense the end of the year, the defense was very good. They only allowed 14 PPG during the playoff run. The running game also produced over 100 YPG during the same stretch. No question Ei was walking on water during that playoff run; but the D and the running game also came around at the same time. The team was hitting on all cylinders during that stretch, and they got the breaks they needed to win the hard games.

I could see the same thing happening this year; but Fewell has got to get away from the reactionary defense, and let these guys make things happen. Playing with an injury is tough enough; but trying to play read and react when injured has to be even harder. I've noticed Tuck's attitude, in particular, has suffered ever since Fewell came. Tuck wants to go full bore, right at the OL, and make plays behind the line. This defense doesn't let him do that like he used to. I think if Fewell would turn these guys loose, we'd see a huge improvement.

ibbill
12-22-2012, 12:43 PM

Last grip:

who needs excuses get your rear end off the bench and just play the game.It's what we pay you for. like 8 minutes make 3 or 4 hundred K nice gig if you can get it.

Buddy333
12-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Yeah TC did call them soft. Is Tuck soft because he is injured or he is just a soft player? At one point in his career he was one of the best at his position so we know what he was capable of. Point is that he may be playing soft because he can't play at the level he once used to and not because he just wants to or doesn't care.

I Bleed Blue 56
12-22-2012, 02:38 PM

Last grip:

2. where is the running game? Man I couldnt agree with you more we drop back and someonr is always open. Is it the secondary maybe. We used to rush on long downs and thosr days are gone. I want to see a cb blitz safety something hell not see tuck drop back or JPP lined up the middle. I keep hearing JPP has been non existant hell hes gettinf double or triple teamed every down it will wear you out. He hardly comes out Fewell will need to wake up or bounce the hell out of NY with his sorry defensive play calling.

dakotajoe
12-22-2012, 04:00 PM
The d-line as we once knew it is done. Like other said, Tuck and Osi's better years are behind them. Even JPP is having a down year but I see him more as an all-around DE than a pure pass rusher. It seems like he plays the run first which is good in a league filled with DEs that only care about sacks.

JesseJames
12-22-2012, 04:43 PM
I think when Coughlin told the press this week in answer to a question about the lack of pass rush and his D line he said "it will probably take the off season to fix whats wrong there" and I'm wondering what he means, could it be a change in personnel or a DC coaching change

GentleGiant
12-22-2012, 09:50 PM

The offense has had at least 5 blowouts this year. The D line needs to step up.