PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Game Day: Giants (8 - 6 ) vs, Ravens (9 - 5)

RoanokeFan
12-23-2012, 07:48 AM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2..._8-6_at_r.html (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/12/giants_gameday_giants_8-6_at_r.html)

Excerpt: "3 matchups to watch

1. Giants defensive ends vs. tackles Michael Oher and Kelechi Osemele

The Giants pass rush isn’t producing at the level expected coming into the season. After accumulating 48 sacks and fueling an improbable Super Bowl run last season, the Giants have just 32 sacks this season, 16th in the league. Two weeks ago, defensive coordinatorPerry Fewell claimed the game plan wasn’t to sack Drew Brees, but the numbers remain disappointing.

The famed trio of Jason Pierre-Paul (6˝ sacks), Justin Tuck(3 sacks) and Osi Umenyiora (6 sacks) have combined for just 15˝ sacks. Pierre-Paul had 13˝ alone through 14 games last season. Today may be their opportunity to bounce back with a pair of Ravens tackles that struggle with speed rushers. Though Umenyiora is the only speed rusher of the trio, Pierre-Paul and Tuck could also provide headaches.

The Ravens may consider going with veteran backup Bryant McKinnie if either Oher, the right tackle, or Osemele, on the left side, find trouble.

Unlike against the Saints and Brees, the recipe to slowing down Joe Flacco is bringing pressure and forcing him to make throws on the run; allowing him to set his feet and launch his deep passes could make for a long day.

2. Giants run defense vs. Ray Rice

Eighteen. That was how was how many missed tackles defensive tackle Chris Canty said the Giants were guilty of last week against the Falcons. Most were a failure to bring down the Falcons running backs, notably the bruising Michael Turner. Atlanta took advantage with 129 rushing yards — the fourth consecutive game the Giants surrendered at least 100 rushing yards.

Today could be worse if they continue down that path. That’s because missed tackles and Ray Rice form a lethal combination. Rice is one of the league’s top running backs and a game-changer. The Rutgers product already has 1,031 rushing yards this season. He’s also averaging 30.5 receiving yards per game. The problem has been getting him enough touches. Rice is averaging just 16.4 carries, his lowest since 2009, and 3.9 receptions on the season. Last week, he had just 12 carries for 38 yards and three receptions for three yards against the Broncos." Read more...

MrDenmark
12-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Here's my thought on it. We should go against what the fans want and focus 100% on stopping the run.

Stopping the run will force the Ravens to depend on Flacco. And once Flacco throws a lot then our guys are smart enough to pressure him as well. He might get half a second more on every pass because we look for the run first, but we will pressure him.

Sounds simple enough.

stormblue
12-23-2012, 09:11 AM
stopping the run is the #1 goal on defense.
we just don't happen to be very good at it.
for the most part we are pushers and grabbers , instead of hitters and wrappers.

win , lose or draw , Rice will have a decent day.

RoanokeFan
12-23-2012, 09:29 AM
stopping the run is the #1 goal on defense.
we just don't happen to be very good at it.
for the most part we are pushers and grabbers , instead of hitters and wrappers.

win , lose or draw , Rice will have a decent day.

I think they'll keep him under 75 yards

TrickAssP
12-23-2012, 11:07 AM
If we can stop the run we should be fine as it will force passing situations and while Eli and Flacco's stat lines to this point in the season are almost identical, Flacco does have more than twice the sacks taken (Eli 16 ~ Flacco 34). Hopefully we can get to him with our languid Dline and cause some disruption. Then the only problem is getting out O to perform. Seems like a lot although I think we come out and win by 4.

stormblue
12-23-2012, 12:10 PM
I think they'll keep him under 75 yards

that would be absolutely great if they do......

ShakeandBake
12-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Torrey Smith is playing today, I hope we can contain him because he can do some serious damage.

ShakeandBake
12-23-2012, 12:33 PM
This is definitely a winnable game for us, if the team actually shows up mentally I think we can win.