PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Line must be addressed in the draft and free agency

brownelvis54
12-23-2012, 08:46 PM
O-Line is huge. Ours is sub par. No run or blocking..........Our first 3rd down completion in the 3rd Qtr against the Ravens........is pathetic.

Ruttiger711
12-23-2012, 08:48 PM
+1 biggest need IMO2nd being a new DC who doesn't put the good players we have in a position to fail.

Toadofsteel
12-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Diehl and Snee, the last of the Accorsi 5, are done. New OL please!

GMENAGAIN
12-23-2012, 08:51 PM
+1 biggest need IMO2nd being a new DC who doesn't put the good players we have in a position to fail.

Eh, what good players are you speaking of? Webster? OsI Tuck?

chuckedafter5yards
12-23-2012, 08:53 PM
The OL played awful again, Snee is hurt but Diehl moved like a rusty gate. Plus we kept Cordle and let Petrus get picked of- this group looks plain sorry.

brownelvis54
12-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Agreed........we need a new DC. But our O-Line is old. If you give an average QB time to throw or a good running game it pays in huge dividends. Eli is not average........he is elite, but our O-line dosen't make things easier either. Give Tom Brady 2 seconds to throw or give hime 20 seconds....and you will see a huge difference in results. Drafting a good quality Offensive linemen will pay off greatly for years to come

brownelvis54
12-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Agood O Line can buy time to throw and open up our running game. Our line sucks..........thats why we need to keep Bradshaw in to pass block.....rediculous

GMENAGAIN
12-24-2012, 09:47 AM
The OL played awful again, Snee is hurt but Diehl moved like a rusty gate. Plus we kept Cordle and let Petrus get picked of- this group looks plain sorry.

Petrus was picked up by the Pats and then cut. He is not a player that will help our OL.

berya
12-24-2012, 10:02 AM
It really should have been addressed 2/3 years ago. And by addressed I don't mean drafting in the later rounds and signing weak lineman like Baas.

brad
12-24-2012, 10:03 AM
The O-line hasn't been stellar, but it is not the problem with the offense. Eli is pressured on 25% of his drop-backs, compared to 39% last year. Eli is the least sacked QB in the NFL. They are also averaging 20 more rushing yards per game this year over last year. The biggest difference from last year to this year is the short and intermediate throws, they seemed to have lost that section of the playbook. Very few slants are used to counter the press coverage on receivers, and allow Eli to get rid of the ball faster. They almost never use the screen or pass to the backs, it seems like every play is 20+ yards down-field... unless they need 20 yards, then they throw a screen.

Yes, the O-line can and should be improved, but that by itself is not going to make this offense more productive or consistent. They also need to look at the system and how defenses have adjusted to stop it. In the NFL, great offense are created, then defenses learn to stop it. The offense that learns to adjust and counter what the defenses are doing survive while those that can't whither and die. I am not a fan of finesse offenses like the one KG runs, but give credit where credit is due, he is a genius and hopefully will adjust his offense next year.

They need to figure out what happened to Eli, I know it is sacrilege to question him but the difference between the first half of the season and the second is clearly evident, he is not playing at the same level. Is that due to what defenses are doing, problems on offense or something else? I don't know, but it needs to be looked at very closely. Nicks injury might be part of the problem, but early in the season he had some great games without Nicks, so I don't believe that is the whole problem.

Don't even get me started on defense....