PDA

View Full Version : Where is Hakeem Nicks that I used to know?

SuperNYGiants
12-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Sure he's not 100% but my gosh, he didn't even show up. I've been a big supporter of Nicks, but if he doesn't show up next week again, he can just leave and get his fat contract somewhere else.

Buddy333
12-24-2012, 12:06 AM
He is hurt. The problem is he is always hurt. Honestly they have to consider what he is worth when his contract is up. He is tough as nails but if he can't help the team they can't give him a monster deal.

Marvelousmik
12-24-2012, 12:15 AM
​hes a top 5 receiver when healthy

Stoneroses
12-24-2012, 12:17 AM
His lack of presence in the offense this year has been severe. He doesn't snatch balls, doesn't dive for balls, doesn't box out for balls. He's just not physical. It's obvious how much he wants to play even when the world knows he's injured, but the coaching staff should have more say in this. Randle could have run the routes that Nicks ran today, and he's healthy. I think they gave Hixon more targets in the second half when they saw that Nicks was ineffective. I don't know what's so complicated about the Giants offense that Randle couldn't do in stead of Nicks. It's painful to say this, but Nicks is a liability now.

ghostoftommymaddox
12-24-2012, 12:27 AM
They brought him back way too soon -- the idea that half of Nicks is better than no Nicks was plainly wrong. It seemed like they were letting him make the call on when he would play and practice, which is usually a mistake -- a player of his ability rarely admits he's a liability.

Answer to today's trivia question: Gorilla Monsoon.

nycsportzfan
12-24-2012, 12:55 AM
He is hurt. The problem is he is always hurt. Honestly they have to consider what he is worth when his contract is up. He is tough as nails but if he can't help the team they can't give him a monster deal. Dude, hurt players do more then Nicks... I mean, hes been flat out invisible for most part, and to not get even 1catch tonigth? Just on being a good WR, and in his 4th season, he should be able to get open a couple times and make a couple catches..

I remember hering something about his not staying in shape at UNC when he was coming out, and to be honest, hes not the most cut up guy, and maybe theres a little truth to that? I don't know, but either way, he needs to be more productive , regardless of where he at with that injury..

G-MENBK
12-24-2012, 12:59 AM
They brought him back way too soon -- the idea that half of Nicks is better than no Nicks was plainly wrong. It seemed like they were letting him make the call on when he would play and practice, which is usually a mistake -- a player of his ability rarely admits he's a liability.

Nicely put.

NYGFaninILL
12-24-2012, 02:15 AM

Don't know why that's in red...

BMW
12-24-2012, 02:18 AM
Because he's never healthy.

NYGFaninILL
12-24-2012, 02:19 AM
Because he's never healthy.
oh

Dogg
12-24-2012, 08:23 AM
You guys weren't bashing him in the playoffs last year... Some of you guys need to relax.

Flip Empty
12-24-2012, 08:25 AM
You guys weren't bashing him in the playoffs last year... Some of you guys need to relax.
In case you haven't noticed, this isn't last year and the playoffs are nowhere to be seen.

Anyway, Nicks' struggles fall on the training staff and coaches.

egyptian420
12-24-2012, 08:27 AM
I still think Nicks is a beast when healthy

Kruunch
12-24-2012, 08:27 AM
My biggest issue with Nicks going forward is that he can't seem to stay healthy (not particularly his fault ... some guys just aren't built for the NFL). Considering they're all lower leg injuries to boot, you have to wonder what the front office will be thinking when evaluating his contract potential.

gmen0820
12-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Next year

Flip Empty
12-24-2012, 08:34 AM
I keep imagining a person singing the thread title to the tune of the Gotye song haha

Rudyy
12-24-2012, 08:39 AM
I keep imagining a person singing the thread title to the tune of the Gotye song hahalol

rebelfan1966
12-24-2012, 08:40 AM
Hicks has been a decoy for over a month now.....

NYGabriel
12-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Nicks has lost a step.

Flip Empty
12-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Nicks has lost a step.
He lost it in the off-season when he broke his foot. He'll find it again next year.

NorwoodBlue
12-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Watching him come off the line is really depressing, it's obvious he's struggling just to get going. He has no burst, or acceleration t all. Just be cause a guy can play, it doesn't mean he should play. The Giants had several guys on the bench who could have done a better job. It's not Hakeem's fault that he does what the coaches ask him too, it's the coaches fault for not admitting the guy isn't going to be effective. Just watching him it was obvious that Randle would have been much more of a threat. Barden even would have provided more problems for the defense. With Hakeem being single covered by whomever happened to be out there, and Cruz getting blanketed, Manning had no where to go. Then add to that that Bennett can't run a deep route because he's got to help block because the line was so bad, and it's a recipe for offensive failure.

I hope against Philly that somebody has the sense to set Hakeem down and let someone who isn't injured play. Randle would be my first choice because I think he's got far more raw talent than anyone else on the bench. Randle and Cruz could do some damage, and Hixon or Braden could add to that with a 3 or 4 receiver set. I can't imagine ever being able to do a four wide set with this line; but.....

Unrelated; but I'd also like to see Brewer get some time on the line. He actually looked pretty good at guard last night.

And for Christ's sake bring out Ojomo, just because! I'm not a big fan yet; but he should at least get a chance to play in a real game.

Cloud57
12-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Nicks look like a 40yr old 3rd stinger

ny06
12-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Face it folks, this year is a wash for Nicks. A receiver is only as good as his legs, and Nicks as of this year has one surgically repaired foot, and a bad knee.
Hakeem Nicks has shown throughout his young career, when healthy he's a game changer.

nycsportzfan
12-24-2012, 02:01 PM
Face it folks, this year is a wash for Nicks. A receiver is only as good as his legs, and Nicks as of this year has one surgically repaired foot, and a bad knee.
Hakeem Nicks has shown throughout his young career, when healthy he's a game changer.hes played dinged up before, and produced.. And all though u don't expect monster numbers wk in and wk out, u expect more then 0catches and what not from him.. Just from being such a good WR and all that other stuff.. Theres no excuse for his play in recent wks... Guys play hurt all the time and get better results then what we've seen from him..

ny06
12-24-2012, 02:04 PM
hes played dinged up before, and produced.. And all though u don't expect monster numbers wk in and wk out, u expect more then 0catches and what not from him.. Just from being such a good WR and all that other stuff.. Theres no excuse for his play in recent wks... Guys play hurt all the time and get better results then what we've seen from him..
I don't recall Nicks ever having injuries to both of his legs before. I agree players play hurt all the time, but name me one player who plays a skill position such as receiver who has two injuries to their legs?
Remember Nicks dominated the Bucs all by himself with one leg.

TroyArcher
12-24-2012, 02:05 PM

Yes, but he rarely healthy.

Flip Empty
12-24-2012, 02:09 PM
I don't recall Nicks ever having injuries to both of his legs before. I agree players play hurt all the time, but name me one player who plays a skill position such as receiver who has two injuries to their legs?
Remember Nicks dominated the Bucs all by himself with one leg.
Yeah it was the knee injury he picked up in addition to his foot issue that killed him. It just wouldn't heal because he kept using it.

Such a waste of a season for him.

RoanokeFan
12-24-2012, 02:10 PM
He is hurt. The problem is he is always hurt. Honestly they have to consider what he is worth when his contract is up. He is tough as nails but if he can't help the team they can't give him a monster deal.

I'm sure that will factor in after next season

EliDaMANning
12-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Most of us realize this isn't Nicks fault. It's his job to play and he did even though he's injured. It's the incompetence of these coaches to not realize that he's hurting this team more often than not when he's on the field. There comes a point in time where these senile old men can figure this out. But guess what? They didn't. And this one move in particular probably ended our season.

NorwoodBlue
12-24-2012, 02:19 PM
YA, he looked pretty good when he came back from the original foot injury; but that time he had his ankle stepped on and bent around like a pretzel hurt him, then the bigger injury to the knee has totally screwed up his year. Regardless of his desire to play, the coaches should have held him out longer and let him heal more. He's trying as hard as he can; but you can see it just isn't there with these injuries. He's not getting any better, they've lost huge production from that WR slot, and there's a couple of young players on the bench who could have grown while filling in for him. He loses, the team loses, and those young guys lose. It's hard to figure out how the coaches keep playing him.

Hopefully, he has a good off season and regains his stuff.

nycsportzfan
12-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Remember Nicks dominated the Bucs all by himself with one leg. Litteraly i could write down a 100recievers who have injuries to there legs that produce.. It would take up this whole page.. I'll start with Miles Austin, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, just to name a few... Johnson has had issues with his legs all yr and broke Rices record for most recieving yards in a season.. Julio had a ton of leg injuries last yr and had to deal with em even when he was playing adn produced, and Austin has had nothing but hamstring issues and has to deal with em when hes in there and produces...

Obviously u don't expect huge returns, but at least something , simply because the guys supposed to be one of better Wideouts in league.. Those are the guys that just can't help but be productive.. They just have those instincts that good football players have..

Hakeem Nicks had a crazy prodcedure done last yr, and came back, and obviously it was still bothering him(how could it not?), and he helped out, right? For what ever reason he just can't do it this yr.. He isn't the fastest WR anyways, and there certainly was rumours of being outta shape at UNC, that messed with hsi draft stock prior to draft a bit, so maybe that is it? I don't know, but either way, the guys not producing like he should, regardless of his injuries..

Redeyejedi
12-25-2012, 09:00 AM
Maybe the Giants should gamble and offer Nicks an extension this off season. Maybe they can buy low and get him for 5 years 20 million or something

bigblue58
12-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Sure he's not 100% but my gosh, he didn't even show up. I've been a big supporter of Nicks, but if he doesn't show up next week again, he can just leave and get his fat contract somewhere else.

This is what I worried about when they drafted him, because the very first thing I read about him was that he was injury prone.

gmen0820
12-25-2012, 09:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9RVudjt0c8

Made this clip when I was re-watching some games last night.

nycsportzfan
12-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Maybe the Giants should gamble and offer Nicks an extension this off season. Maybe they can buy low and get him for 5 years 20 million or something I don't like that idea.. I think its a better risk to see what happens next yr, becuase i'd wanna see em stay healthy for a season before i buy em at any price...

gmen0820
12-25-2012, 10:46 AM
I don't like that idea.. I think its a better risk to see what happens next yr, becuase i'd wanna see em stay healthy for a season before i buy em at any price...If his injuries are ongoing and as consistent as you say, one full season should be far from definitive closure that his injury-proned days are behind him. Nicks is a stud, I'm sure you already know that. I understand your frustration with him not playing well this year, because he has played with injuries before with considerably more success. With that said, you could argue that these injuries are far more severe, he hasn't practiced, and no training camp at all has really shot down his production. Comes off as excuses, they are plausible.

I'd try to lock him up now with a contract that pays him for a little bit more than he did in 2012, and considerably less for his production in 2011. Of course, Nicks could decline the offer, but that hasn't really worked out well for other Giants in the past (Steve Smith, Terrell Thomas, etc.).

ny06
12-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Litteraly i could write down a 100recievers who have injuries to there legs that produce.. It would take up this whole page.. I'll start with Miles Austin, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, just to name a few... Johnson has had issues with his legs all yr and broke Rices record for most recieving yards in a season.. Julio had a ton of leg injuries last yr and had to deal with em even when he was playing adn produced, and Austin has had nothing but hamstring issues and has to deal with em when hes in there and produces...

Obviously u don't expect huge returns, but at least something , simply because the guys supposed to be one of better Wideouts in league.. Those are the guys that just can't help but be productive.. They just have those instincts that good football players have..

Hakeem Nicks had a crazy prodcedure done last yr, and came back, and obviously it was still bothering him(how could it not?), and he helped out, right? For what ever reason he just can't do it this yr.. He isn't the fastest WR anyways, and there certainly was rumours of being outta shape at UNC, that messed with hsi draft stock prior to draft a bit, so maybe that is it? I don't know, but either way, the guys not producing like he should, regardless of his injuries..

The three players you named don't have what Nicks has been dealing with all year. Calivin Johnson (sore knee) Julio Jones (sore ankle) Miles Austin (Hamstring, hip strain) All these injuries are bothersome to players but majority of them play through these type of injuries during a season.

Now let's talk about what Nicks is dealing with. He broke a bone in his foot in OTA's Had surgery and the time table for his recovery was two months. By the time the regular season opener against the Cowboys came it was just about two months since his surgery. And it was clear he was still nursing his foot, and his stamina wasn't up to par being he was healing a surgically repaired foot. Then the bucs game came and we saw the nicks we saw in the playoffs the previous season. (pure domination) Then he got his surgically foot stepped on and the more serious injury was the knee injury. Ever since he got the knee injury he hasn't been the same player. The few games he missed were just not enough time for him to heal up, why? Because the injury is more severe then the Giants are letting on. There were numerous reports that there was swelling in his knee, that's a clear indication something is not right in his knee. I'm willing to bet this off-season he will get some sort of minor surgery to clean out whatever is going on in his knee.

My point is I don't believe the players you mentioned nor any other player would be playing at a high level with the severity of injuries Nicks is dealing with this season.

Cloud57
12-25-2012, 11:48 AM
does anyone think he'll ever be 100% again? I think he should take the entire season to rehab his foot.

gmen0820
12-25-2012, 11:56 AM
does anyone think he'll ever be 100% again? I think he should take the entire season to rehab his foot.People have recovered from that injury. Let's not forget that half the battle with Nicks was the issue with his knee. I would argue that the knee played just as big a part in slowing him down this year as the foot.

Bradshaw's foot, different story. Kid's toast in my opinion.

dakotajoe
12-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Litteraly i could write down a 100recievers who have injuries to there legs that produce..injuries..

All injuries are different. When Nicks came back for the 49ers game it looked like he could barely walk. When I was watching him "run" routes I was shocked the doctors allowed him to play. Watching Calvin Johnson with a hurt leg this past week I witnessed him scorch a corner, something that Nicks doesn't even do at 100%. Their injuries aren't even close to equal.

If Nicks is healthy next year and is able to participate in training camp and practice, his production will return.