PDA

View Full Version : I want Corey Webster back!

B&RWarrior
12-24-2012, 03:34 PM
After posting about how it was time for him to go, I realized the scarcity of CB talent there was in the league. I say Corey just made himself much cheaper to resign. He may buckle down in the offseason and return to camp as a vet with something to prove. The decline happened too fast for me to believe it was purely physical. So he got torched all season; he would still be a serviceable #3 CB even if he continues to play at the current level. C-Web shall make amends. He won't go out like this, and I can't see any other team giving him a big offer after this year's performance. Then again maybe I'm just not ready to shoot ole yella'. LOL

GiantFanatic55
12-24-2012, 03:35 PM
I say Corey just made himself much cheaper to resign.

But he's not a free agent...

And there's no way we resign him after next year

Antwuan
12-24-2012, 03:37 PM
After posting about how it was time for him to go, I realized the scarcity of CB talent there was in the league. I say Corey just made himself much cheaper to resign. He may buckle down in the offseason and return to camp as a vet with something to prove. The decline happened too fast for me to believe it was purely physical. So he got torched all season; he would still be a serviceable #3 CB even if he continues to play at the current level. C-Web shall make amends. He won't go out like this, and I can't see any other team giving him a big offer after this year's performance. Then again maybe I'm just not ready to shoot ole yella'. LOL

So you want him to keep getting burned next season?

B&RWarrior
12-24-2012, 03:47 PM
nothing to worry about then, if he sucks next year it will confirm the decline even if he does comeback into form he'll be 31/32, so he won't be that expensive to resign.

EliIsTheBaas
12-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Scary part is that hosley is behind him. What are we going to do, cut both of them? Then we gotta find a 2 and 3 corner, even if they are terrible there's no saying we'll get someone better which is terrifying.

nycsportzfan
12-24-2012, 03:53 PM
U want webster back??lol Webster took forever to even become a solid CB, being drafting in 05, and finally starting to play well in the 07 postseason where he kinda came outta nowhere, and hes all ready losing it, the past couple yrs.. The shortest prime of a career ever.. Hes had like 3good yrs outta 8..lol I want him back as much as i want chicken pox back..lol

ALLnygIN
12-24-2012, 04:13 PM

no effin way. A viable 3rd corner back option at his current rate of pay? That's insanity. Look, we are rididled with people who are getting older, softer, and less hungry and collecting huge amounts of money. The point is these players have to leave or take pay cuts, there comes a time when this needs to happen people wont like to hear it, but we are in a rebuilding process of sorts there are key players in key positions that just can't cut it anymore, or they don't want to they need to be replaced due to wear and tear (age) or just lack of any effort or heart. Webby is gone.

ALLnygIN
12-24-2012, 04:16 PM
cut or trade him... I wouldn't miss him, it may sound harsh, but he's been just an embarrassment this season. teams wont even take a look at prince when webby is lined up on the other side of the field.

Giantsfan62
12-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Corey Webster-toast #2. If you were around back in the 80s you know what happened to the Original toast.

Cloud57
12-24-2012, 04:27 PM
He's one of the reason if not the main reason why this secondary sucks, get him outta here

ny06
12-24-2012, 04:27 PM
I want Mark Collins back but we have to be realistic.

TheBookOfEli
12-24-2012, 04:32 PM
I want Corey Webster back too, the old Corey Webster.

RIP Corey "ShutDown" Webster
2007-2011.

Cloud57
12-24-2012, 04:37 PM
I want Corey Webster back too, the old Corey Webster.

RIP Corey "ShutDown" Webster
2007-2011.even the old webster was average

Mlerman17
12-24-2012, 04:47 PM
I also want him back. He wasn't even in bad position a lot yesterday he just didn't locate the ball or try to swat it well and there were some crazy acrobatic catches. He deserves a second chance and a pay cut.

Kez Simpson
12-24-2012, 05:09 PM
He's always been a liability on the deep ball, this is nothing new.

CruznNicks
12-24-2012, 05:14 PM
I'm 6'8 1/2, 265 and i can play corner better than Webster

Kez Simpson
12-24-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm 6'8 1/2, 265 and i can play corner better than Webster

I doubt that is true my friend. :)

experto
12-24-2012, 05:26 PM
We need to address cb opposite Prince.Webster has been brutal this year.

Cloud57
12-24-2012, 05:33 PM
I doubt that is true my friend. :)A H.S CB can play better than webster

Toadofsteel
12-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Scary part is that hosley is behind him. What are we going to do, cut both of them? Then we gotta find a 2 and 3 corner, even if they are terrible there's no saying we'll get someone better which is terrifying.

No, the scary part is that when Webster and Hosley were on the field together, offenses still targeted Webster most of the time...

Cloud57
12-24-2012, 05:52 PM
No, the scary part is that when Webster and Hosley were on the field together, offenses still targeted Webster most of the time...Aikman was pointing out how terrible he was during the whole game.

Banks_Reasons_Carson_LT
12-24-2012, 05:57 PM
When the QB thinks that the rookie is harder to throw against in man to man, then mr reese we have a problem

barran21
12-24-2012, 06:55 PM
OP is you smoking? :)

Giantsfan62
12-24-2012, 07:14 PM
http://www.aussiefitsport.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/iStock_000002881882XSmall-burnt-toast.jpg

B&RWarrior
12-25-2012, 02:36 PM
even the old webster was average

Corey Webster 2007-2011 was far from average. Check the stats. If you get burned by the #1 WR all season it mean you should get demoted and take a pay cut, not fired. He still may be able to handle most teams 3rd WR. Look my point is it's hard to find CB talent. The guy has played top notch ball for the past 5 years , save this year. He can be a good #3 CB. Very few #3 WRs have the ability of #1 WRs. If you cut him his salary still counts against the salary cap. With the injury history of Prince I wouldn't even think of cutting Corey, pay cut for sure though.

NWKEffectElement
12-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Drop him to about a 1 mil(or less) salary or cut him.

penguinfarmer
12-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Honestly, there's some merit in this. Not necessarily in a re-sign, but the final year retaining is far more of a feasibility than those simply asking for a cut. Releasing him still results in some cap hits as he earned more guaranteed money from the previous restructure. Best case scenario would be to draft a CB high while still retaining Web and just letting him play out.

In the grand scheme, his contract isn't that high in the current market of starting CBs. Signing a mid tier veteran may prove to be even more costly, and starting a rookie CB is probably an even bigger gamble, regardless of the prospect coming from the collegiate level. It's a hard position to transition to from.

CowboysSuck
12-25-2012, 04:01 PM
enter: Justin Tryon to the rescue... LOL

The defense has been a miserable failure on the part of the Front Office its not even funny.

myles2424
12-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Corey Webster 2007-2011 was far from average. Check the stats. If you get burned by the #1 WR all season it mean you should get demoted and take a pay cut, not fired. He still may be able to handle most teams 3rd WR. Look my point is it's hard to find CB talent. The guy has played top notch ball for the past 5 years , save this year. He can be a good #3 CB. Very few #3 WRs have the ability of #1 WRs. If you cut him his salary still counts against the salary cap. With the injury history of Prince I wouldn't even think of cutting Corey, pay cut for sure though.
Dont lie to yourself, hes been a total pos & has been a liability all year...how can he be a very good #3 when hes been picked on all year no matter wich wr hes gone against? 1s, 2s, & 3s

B&RWarrior
12-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Dont lie to yourself, hes been a total pos & has been a liability all year...how can he be a very good #3 when hes been picked on all year no matter wich wr hes gone against? 1s, 2s, & 3s

That's unfair. Exactly, what percentage of plays has C-Web lined up against a #3 WR? It's low. If we let him go it's a mistake. At the least he's a great dime corner. A team needs 4 good corners with the way teams are passing now. Even after yesterday's performance, I don't know a team with a 4th CB the caliber of C-Web. Don't try to think about that, there isn't one.

CowboysSuck
12-25-2012, 04:19 PM
That's unfair. Exactly, what percentage of plays has C-Web lined up against a #3 WR? It's low. If we let him go it's a mistake. At the least he's a great dime corner. A team needs 4 good corners with the way teams are passing now. Even after yesterday's performance, I don't know a team with a 4th CB the caliber of C-Web. Don't try to think about that, there isn't one.

To bolster you're point; It also seems that hes only getting beat one-on-one (which is understandable with the state of NFL rules and his lining up against #1 and #2 WR's). Not often is there safety help. And if their is, they are extremely late on the play. Which makes me wonder....wtf :confused:

But seriously....Webster has gotten the business all year. I kinda feel bad for him. But then again, he should feel bad for me as a fan...

nycisgreat
12-25-2012, 04:24 PM

The guy career is over. He is absolutely done. He will not collect the 9 million left on his contract, and I can't see us resigning him after we let him go. I don't think they will be many teams that will give the guy an opportunity.

penguinfarmer
12-25-2012, 04:24 PM
I think it would behoove Webster to see a sports psychologist and get some lasik surgery to benefit his career than become a nickel corner. His game isn't built around handling an NFL slot receiver, either the tall deep threat or the prototypical quickster.

sharick88
12-25-2012, 04:30 PM
I don't want him back. I want him banished to the corn field

giantsacks
12-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Are first two rounds in the draft shuld be cb then next 2 rounds shuld be oline then the last three shuld be linebacker and dline

savantelite
12-25-2012, 11:31 PM
Corey is a good tough player. He is getting beat on one on one matchups. Our hearlded safety's can take some of the blame. Corey will bounce back.

Buto
12-26-2012, 03:50 AM
The good news is we can pair him with TT who had two good years back in 09-10 but ufortunately can't stay on the field.
The future is with Prince who is quickly becoming the #1 If healthy and Hosley in the slot (not outside).
We have safeties up the ying yang.

Shockeystays08
12-26-2012, 09:20 AM
I don't think he has eroded that quickly. He started getting toasted last year and it's just progressed. I don't even want him as a backup.

BigJ
12-26-2012, 10:31 AM
After posting about how it was time for him to go, I realized the scarcity of CB talent there was in the league. I say Corey just made himself much cheaper to resign. He may buckle down in the offseason and return to camp as a vet with something to prove. The decline happened too fast for me to believe it was purely physical. So he got torched all season; he would still be a serviceable #3 CB even if he continues to play at the current level. C-Web shall make amends. He won't go out like this, and I can't see any other team giving him a big offer after this year's performance. Then again maybe I'm just not ready to shoot ole yella'. LOLhe is terrible, he is one of the main reasons our defense is terrible. i think it would be ok to let him go, who ever fills his spot csnt be that much worse dont be stupid with wanting him resigned

B&RWarrior
12-26-2012, 05:34 PM
The good news is we can pair him with TT who had two good years back in 09-10 but ufortunately can't stay on the field.
The future is with Prince who is quickly becoming the #1 If healthy and Hosley in the slot (not outside).
We have safeties up the ying yang.

TT was worse than C-web every year of his career including this year. Another TT comeback is improbable.

Cloud57
12-26-2012, 05:36 PM
If anyone wants Corey Webster, they can have him.

jomo
12-26-2012, 06:49 PM
If anyone wants Corey Webster, they can have him.Someone will surely overpay him just as the eagles overpaid Smith, the Raiders overpaid Boss and our safety before that. This free agent frenzy will make Webster someone we won't be able to keep and that is a good thing.

Buto
12-27-2012, 05:11 AM
TT was worse than C-web every year of his career including this year. Another TT comeback is improbable.

Man I goofed up. I meant put "The good news is we can pair him with TT" portion in red.
Oops!....

Joe Morrison
12-27-2012, 10:00 AM
Someone will surely overpay him just as the eagles overpaid Smith, the Raiders overpaid Boss and our safety before that. This free agent frenzy will make Webster someone we won't be able to keep and that is a good thing.
Webster was exposed with the rise of the Prince, although the Prince missed some time and has not proven he can play 16 games when he is in and up to speed they just go to Webby's side knowing it's easy pickings. Webster made a living when the offense got off to quick starts and defense applied the presure to the qb, when they are playing even he's go nothing left in the tank.

JJC7301
12-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Am I wrong...hasn't he been playing with injuries throughout the year? I remember he had a hamstring injury, and then played with a broken arm, I believe. I'll keep him, but he's got to take a cut. I'm curious to see if he can bounce back next year. I'm sure that we'll be drafting yet another CB high in the draft this year, either way.

OrangeGiant
12-27-2012, 11:26 AM
No pass rush=exposed secondary. Not excusing his poor play but when you don't pressure the QB at all, it doesn't matter who you have in the back end, they will get beat by good receivers in this league. Does anybody think he just forgot how to play corner? No, he is the same player, the D-line wasn't the same.