PDA

View Full Version : The "demise" of C-Web is the biggest reason for our failures this season

NYG4lifeNYK
12-24-2012, 06:02 PM
He goes from shut down to a severe liability every week.

His regression cannot just stem from physical issues. He HAS to be content with his two super bowl rings. You can't be THAT good, then in a couple months time be looked at as a liability. Just doesn't happen.

Don't tell me that he was never that good he was great. It wasn't the pass rush that masked his play, he was a shut down corner from the '07 playoffs until 2011.

Webster's obvious decline is the biggest mystery in my eyes.
Unless he takes a long long in the mirror this off season and comes back hungrier than ever and more motivated than ever I just don't know what we do with him.

Oh and has a HUGE cap hit if we release him.

CruznNicks
12-24-2012, 06:03 PM
What's the cap hit if he's released?

NYG4lifeNYK
12-24-2012, 06:07 PM
What's the cap hit if he's released?

2013: $9,975,000

Yes you read that right, that is not a typo.... he's an UFA in 2014

I think whether people like it or not Webster is here for another year until his contract is up. We NEED him to come back motivated and hungry.

BMW
12-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Only Giants players regress the way they do, just what the hell is going on with this team is beyond me.

RoanokeFan
12-24-2012, 06:11 PM

I think whether people like it or not Webster is here for another year until his contract is up. We NEED him to come back motivated and hungry.

How much of that are we on the hook for if we release him?

Kez Simpson
12-24-2012, 06:11 PM

Was he ever a shutdown corner? I thought he was opportunistic, and the team gameplan was to pick on Aaron Ross. :(

YATittle1962
12-24-2012, 06:12 PM
this is a bit too drastic

more like the demise of the pass rush

this pass rush is non existent .....

it's nice to have a defense built around something that doesn't exist huh?

Corey has been beat this season......a bunch actually

but last night most of those plays were great throws....and even better catches

sure he played some poor technique.....but he was in position for the most part

the pass rush has been the demise.....of the defense at least

a good pass rush can make an average corner a "shutdown corner"

the offense is a whole other catastrophe

Kez Simpson
12-24-2012, 06:12 PM

In my best Eddie Murphy impression: "HALF"

Kez Simpson
12-24-2012, 06:14 PM

a good pass rush can make an average corner a "shutdown corner"

This is true, our Defense is built on an effective pass rush. This has been non-existent as you said, which exposes our "solid" corners.

The Offense is missing a healthy Nicks, and an O-line that can pass protect. Eli's sack numbers are misleading.

RoanokeFan
12-24-2012, 06:16 PM
In my best Eddie Murphy impression: "HALF"

Hard to make it happen then. It's also not ever one player's fault.

NYG4lifeNYK
12-24-2012, 06:18 PM

a good pass rush can make an overage corner a "shutdown corner"

Webster has been my favorite player on the team for many years. I love the guy and we don't win those Super Bowls without him playing like a shut down corner.

I'm not picking on him for last Sunday. He's just looked uninspired and like he is content with his two rings and earning a paycheck. He's was never balling this season. Stevie Brown, now THAT'S a guy who is hungry and balling his *** off.

The game Sunday Torrey Smith made a one handed grab, can't do anything about that. Was a phantom PI call on Webster, yes.

Even so they were picking on him and they even called him out during the week saying he could be had for big plays... and sure enough :(

NYG4lifeNYK
12-24-2012, 06:24 PM

Says his salary for 2013:

$7,000,000 Base
$875,000 Signing
$2,100,000 Misc. Bonus

$9,975,000 Cap Hit

GFiP
12-24-2012, 06:41 PM
NEWS FLASH: Webster was never good. He was backed by an elite pass rush for years. Now that the giants have none, he's been exposed.

Cloud57
12-24-2012, 06:42 PM
NEWS FLASH: Webster was never good. He was backed by an elite pass rush for years. Now that the giants have none, he's been exposed.by none other than flacco

M00KIE
12-24-2012, 06:57 PM
I agree he should go, but "biggest" reason? No. There's plenty of bad play to go around on all sides of the ball.

Banks_Reasons_Carson_LT
12-24-2012, 07:06 PM
It's pretty difficult to know what good secondary coverage is when you only watch giants games

Toadofsteel
12-24-2012, 07:10 PM
We should just cut all the overpaid cruft, take all the cap hits, and sack 2013 for rebuilding...

NYG4lifeNYK
12-24-2012, 07:14 PM
NEWS FLASH: Webster was never good. He was backed by an elite pass rush for years. Now that the giants have none, he's been exposed.
NEWS FLASH: You don't have a clue what you're talking about.

tcseacliff
12-24-2012, 07:23 PM
my blanket covers me better than Webster could cover downfield, he gets beat constantly, does not even make any play on the ball , or winds up missing tackles and or /falling down. go back and watch . don't know if we could afford to bench 9 mil. ,but something has to get him to be the player hes was drafted to be? and , many games would have been so different if he would have broke up a better percentage . teams just do not seem afraid to throw to whovever he is covering , and 9 times out of then they would be right!

bearbryant
12-24-2012, 07:50 PM
I have to disagree on your original post. The main reason for the demise bagan long before Webby took the field. Our inexcusable FA signings, less than average draft pix, poor coaching, worse planning and a terrible football spirit and morale begins to tell the story. Take some of that and is it any wonder why we wind up with an inconsistent performance on Sundays? Super Bowl victories aside this team needs to look into the future of the league to approach the type of change needed.

tcseacliff
12-24-2012, 07:56 PM
don't hate webster, but jeez, last few games , a lot of important plays cames his way. and the replays show some pretty bad coverage comapred to his peers witht the same motivation. we are trying to defend a superbowl triophy, how much motivation does he need? he is good, but how do we get him to play again is the question? until then, he sucks! and I think he should be worried about his job!

AntB
12-24-2012, 08:19 PM
it's the lack of the pass rush that's the biggest problem. Corey is young enough to recover from his "off" season but the Giants need to focus ob getting a big, strong impact DT to go along with Joseph or go to a 3-4 defense. I don't think the 4-4-3 is the way to go at all. They should also try to get Spagnola back as Defensive Coordinator. With the 4-4-3 you take one of our biggest playmakers in Brown off the field. With the 3-4 you can blitz a linebaker from a different location on each play; up the middle is what the Giants need most. You can play Herzlitch and Blackburn or Kiwi and Blackburn in the middle and blitz one or the other. i think Williams is best at outside as he has good speed but not enough power for MLB. That gives you good depth with Williams, Boley, Paysinger outside. I like kiwi better to come back as a DE next year though to compete with Tuck for starting left DE with Paul starting at right DE. If they can't get a big DT then consider telling Tuck to have some extra linguini and salmon this off-season and move him inside. we can't keep counting on guys to come back the same from these serious leg injuries. I think we have to plan the team without Philips and Canty starting or even making the team next season; like how silly it was to count on Thomas for anything this year. Big mistake letting Ross go.

NYG4lifeNYK
12-24-2012, 08:44 PM
I agree he should go, but "biggest" reason? No. There's plenty of bad play to go around on all sides of the ball.
If Webster plays like the C-Web we know him to be along with how great Prince has played we would of wrapped up the East a long time ago.

tcseacliff
12-24-2012, 08:47 PM
If Webster plays like the C-Web we know him to be along with how great Prince has played we would of wrapped up the East a long time ago.

no, not the biggest, but him being the target lately on key scores has magnified his shortcomings and lack of execution of the position,which makes you wonder, can he/will he help us or hurt us as is ? WE DON'T NEED BAND AIDS WE NEED SURGERY , QUICK! that is the real annoying part . as hard as our schedule was, this was our season, we were clearly poised to take it all. this we have to fix!