PDA

View Full Version : Eli Manning Admits Lack Of Practice Reps With Injured Hakeem Nicks Has Hurt Timing

RoanokeFan
12-25-2012, 06:42 AM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...keem_nick.html (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/12/eli_manning_admits_hakeem_nick.html)

Excerpt: "Eli Manning has nothing but great respect for Hakeem Nicks, who has battled through foot and knee injuries during the offseason and season, missing just three games. But the Giants quarterback admitted the receiver's restrictions have contributed to the passing game being less viable this year.

"I love Hakeem and the way he competes. Heís doing everything he can to be out there. Heís obviously dealing with a frustrating issue thatís limiting him a little bit," Manning said. "Heís out there trying to do his best, so we just have to keep working, try to get on the same page. He missed most of training camp, all of the off-season, so you donít get that rep time. We donít get practice reps. He gets a few reps, heís not quite at full-speed. The timing is off on a few things, and it can make it hard to be as effective as you need to be and be on the perfect timing that is required to be really successful."

In the 33-14 loss to the Ravens Sunday, Nicks was targeted three times and held without a catch for the first time in his four-year career.

Nicks missed the offseason and most of training camp after fracturing a bone in his foot. The lingering knee injury developed in Week 2 of the season. In addition to Nicks, running back Ahmad Bradshaw has been on a restricted practice regimen this season while dealing with a bruised bone in his foot and, the past two weeks, a sprained knee.

"You love the competiveness, the hanging in there and being there for the team," Manning said.

"It can be tough when youíve got four or five guys who donít practice much during the week, if at all, and then show up on game day. Again, you love the toughness, you love the competiveness, you love the team attitude and doing whatever it takes. Itís hard to continue to play at a high level sometimes." Read more...

stormblue
12-25-2012, 07:22 AM
"It can be tough when you’ve got four or five guys who don’t practice much during the week, if at all, and then show up on game day. Again, you love the toughness, you love the competiveness, you love the team attitude and doing whatever it takes. It’s hard to continue to play at a high level sometimes."

but TC just keeps playing them all anyway.....

forget it ....not gonna go there .....its Christmas ........

Redeyejedi
12-25-2012, 07:26 AM
I thought so 2 but they were effective with Randle,Hxon and Barden maybe they should of jost rolled with those guys instead

RoanokeFan
12-25-2012, 07:37 AM
I thought so 2 but they were effective with Randle,Hxon and Barden maybe they should of jost rolled with those guys instead

You'd sit Cruz?

bigblue58
12-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Yeah....what the hell happened to Barden? He had a breakout game and was seemingly rewarded for it with the bench!
Coughlin pulled a Tebow on Barden by saying how usefull his height and good hands would be in the red zone.... but then when Barden proved him right in Bardens coming out party game, Coughlin never once used him again in those situations!
Coughlin's stubborness to try anything different when things aren't working....especially in must win games, is my biggest knock on him.
You have to try SOMETHING different when you're desperate and Coughlin just refuses to do those things and the same damned thing happens every year..........and has put in jeopardy playoff chances that were, just a few short weeks ago, a virtual lock!

M00KIE
12-25-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm not big on having guys play injured. I mean a little banged up, no doubt. But when the guy is running around, not close to what he should be, there has to be a better option. A hurt Nicks is not better than a 100% *insert name here* imo.

TheAnalyst
12-25-2012, 09:50 AM
I call BS. Maybe parts are true, but with good playcalling, Nicks could of at least had a catch. Anyone see him run 1 short route Sunday? Anyone see Cruz run a short route? Well, early anyway. I turned the game off before the 4th Q to save me some sanity with it being Christmas and all. Funny how other teams that have players that don't practice still make plays.

M00KIE
12-25-2012, 09:58 AM
I call BS. Maybe parts are true, but with good playcalling, Nicks could of at least had a catch. Anyone see him run 1 short route Sunday? Anyone see Cruz run a short route? Well, early anyway. I turned the game off before the 4th Q to save me some sanity with it being Christmas and all. Funny how other teams that have players that don't practice still make plays.

Other teams aren't running KG's crazy offense either. They draw up plays and run them or simply audible to whatever other drawn up play. Too much read/react here I think. When everyone is "right" it's amazing but when they're not, it's a disaster.

I mean, there's room for a little bit of that but not every play. It's the same reason we can't play rookies much. They'd be completely lost.

FlyingTruck
12-25-2012, 10:03 AM
We need a new OC. It honestly starts there. We need to run simpler routes. You know how much more effective Cruz would be in the slot if he ran simple hook and slant routes? Or letting Nicks run more stop and go routes on the outside? It's all about these overly complicated down the field routes that haven't been working because Eli doesn't have any time to throw the ball anymore. We're a mess all around.

BuffyBlueII
12-25-2012, 10:04 AM
We need a new OC. It honestly starts there. We need to run simpler routes. You know how much more effective Cruz would be in the slot if he ran simple hook and slant routes? Or letting Nicks run more stop and go routes on the outside? It's all about these overly complicated down the field routes that haven't been working because Eli doesn't have any time to throw the ball anymore. We're a mess all around.

+1

GameTime
12-25-2012, 10:09 AM
ehh....whatever. The reason doesnt matter. The WHOLE TEAM WAS OFF.....................
A handful of players gave their all every game....most didnt and the reasons dont really matter by now......

stormblue
12-25-2012, 10:33 AM
it matters going forward......that article shows that this staff makes Eli play read and react with guys he does not practice with.
and people that are injured and can't perform their job at an NFL level.
i mean just how stupid is that ?
i mean if you can't see the problem..well

this team can't overcome its coaching staffs stubbornness and lack of 4site every year.
getting consistent offensively and hot defensively 2 times with 9-7 quality coaching is about as lucky as its gonna get.

thanks for the memories....
take the money and run.

GameTime
12-25-2012, 10:41 AM
it matters going forward......that article shows that this staff makes Eli play read and react with guys he does not practice with.
and people that are injured and can't perform their job at an NFL level.
i mean just how stupid is that ?
i mean if you can't see the problem..well

this team can't overcome its coaching staffs stubbornness and lack of 4site every year.
getting consistent offensively and hot defensively 2 times with 9-7 quality coaching is about as lucky as its gonna get.

thanks for the memories....
take the money and run.

true...it will matter again next season. I was thinking in context of this season. I am usualy not c aoch basher when it comes tot he Giants but I think they need fresh thoughts, ideas, and enthusiasm.

SuperNYGiants
12-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Even my 7 year old niece recognizes that Killdrive sucks. What more does the organization want to make changes.

Redeyejedi
12-25-2012, 11:17 AM
You'd sit Cruz?No I meant instead of Nicks

dakotajoe
12-25-2012, 11:48 AM
"It can be tough when youíve got four or five guys who donít practice much during the week, if at all, and then show up on game day. Again, you love the toughness, you love the competiveness, you love the team attitude and doing whatever it takes. Itís hard to continue to play at a high level sometimes." - Eli Manning

To all the people that say "practice doesn't matter at the end of the season" there you go. The one thing I love about Eli is that he's a true team player. He can go around pointing fingers and blame others but he doesn't. The above quote is about as harsh as he gets.

All I've heard Coughlin say is something akin to "I don't understand what's going on with the team". Well, isn't it obvious Tom?

Rudyy
12-25-2012, 12:31 PM
To all the people that say "practice doesn't matter at the end of the season" there you go. The one thing I love about Eli is that he's a true team player. He can go around pointing fingers and blame others but he doesn't. The above quote is about as harsh as he gets.All I've heard Coughlin say is something akin to "I don't understand what's going on with the team". Well, isn't it obvious Tom?+1

Buddy333
12-25-2012, 12:35 PM
As much as I stick up for the coaches they blew by not sitting Nicks. Still, this is just an excuse.

Redeyejedi
12-25-2012, 12:43 PM
As much as I stick up for the coaches they blew by not sitting Nicks. Still, this is just an excuse. I do have a problem with some of the playing time especially involving the non use of David Wilson. I dont understand why he isnt on the field

RoanokeFan
12-25-2012, 12:46 PM
No I meant instead of Nicks

I thought you had gone round the bend lol

RoanokeFan
12-25-2012, 12:47 PM
To all the people that say "practice doesn't matter at the end of the season" there you go. The one thing I love about Eli is that he's a true team player. He can go around pointing fingers and blame others but he doesn't. The above quote is about as harsh as he gets.

All I've heard Coughlin say is something akin to "I don't understand what's going on with the team". Well, isn't it obvious Tom?

I think TC means he doesn't understand WHY.

stormblue
12-25-2012, 01:04 PM
I think TC means he doesn't understand WHY.

because he refuses to critique his own coaching methodology.
he seriously believes it's lack of motivation and execution....and refuses to see it otherwise...
he doesn't think it is anything to do with his staffs X's and O's.
and just not using his personel correctly.

Eli said this very same thing earlier in the year when it first started to unravel..
Coughlin admitted to asking Eli what he could to help and Eli suggested practicing with people who actually
get the playing time on Sunday......then totally went right back to practicing with the back-ups and playing
the walking wounded.

he drinks his own kool-aid..... he really thinks its execution and motivation.

he is quietly arrogant...and unyieldingly stubborn.

Rudyy
12-25-2012, 01:07 PM
because he refuses to critique his own coaching methodology.he seriously believes it's lack of motivation and execution....and refuses to see it otherwise...he doesn't think it is anything to do with his staffs X's and O's.and just not using his personel correctly. Eli said this very same thing earlier in the year when it first started to unravel..Coughlin admitted to asking Eli what he could to help and Eli suggested practicing with people who actuallyget the playing time on Sunday......then totally went right back to practicing with the back-ups and playingthe walking wounded.he drinks his own kool-aid..... he really thinks its execution and motivation.I don't agree with you often, but you are spot on with this.

RoanokeFan
12-25-2012, 01:24 PM
he seriously believes it's lack of motivation and execution....and refuses to see it otherwise...

Eli said this very same thing earlier in the year when it first started to unravel..
Coughlin admitted to asking Eli what he could to help and Eli suggested practicing with people who actually
get the playing time on Sunday......then totally went right back to practicing with the back-ups and playing
the walking wounded.

You've twisted the the Eli part a little. Eli suggested that he spend time with "the receivers" just throwing and catching independent of the rests of the offense.

stormblue
12-25-2012, 01:51 PM
You've twisted the the Eli part a little. Eli suggested that he spend time with "the receivers" just throwing and catching independent of the rests of the offense.

that was what he said earlier in the year......i know because you are the one who posted the article.
and it was about him getting solo practicing time with the same recievers that would be playing on Sunday.

this time Eli has merely expanded the same point to basically include the entire offense.

if you think i'm putting words in his mouth , that's fine.
but i think i'm interpreting him pretty accurately.

of course i realize he is not TC bashing.....Eli would not do that.
i take total responsibility for my inference of Eli's statement.

howz-dat for coach -speak RF.....ha-ha.

RoanokeFan
12-25-2012, 02:05 PM
that was what he said earlier in the year......i know because you are the one who posted the article.
and it was about him getting solo practicing time with the same recievers that would be playing on Sunday.

this time Eli has merely expanded the same point to basically include the entire offense.

if you think i'm putting words in his mouth , that's fine.
but i think i'm interpreting him pretty accurately.

of course i realize he is not TC bashing.....Eli would not do that.
i take total responsibility for my inference of Eli's statement.

howz-dat for coach -speak RF.....ha-ha.

I am willing to bet Eli has more to say about the offense than we'll ever know. And as Long as Eli is here, so will Gilbride unless he gets a better offer. Like an old pair of sneakers you just can't ditch.

stormblue
12-25-2012, 02:37 PM
i am now ..have always been ....and will always be.....totally against this 9 year (and counting) TC regime.

that does not make me foolish enough to think he's gonna get run out of Gotham any time soon.
i don't care if he went 0-16 for 3 years running....doesn't matter ; 2 rings means lifetime job.

i get it ......there is no way i'm gonna agree with it or like it.....but i get it.
it's a cross that some of us fans have had to bear for almost a decade now....and will have to continue to do so.

but heck ...@ 6.6 million per year and a lifetime job guarantee ; i'm sure he'll get over my indignations without
so much as a thank you.
so far, for 9 years , he has chosen to ignore every damn thing i've ever said.
he flat out refuses my advise and guidance.

guess that's why he's the HC and makes the big bucks.....and i'm relegated to posting in a football forum on Christmas day.

sigh........go giants.

RoanokeFan
12-25-2012, 02:40 PM
i am now ..have always been ....and will always be.....totally against this 9 year (and counting) TC regime.

that does not make me foolish enough to think he's gonna get run out of Gotham any time soon.
i don't care if he went 0-16 for 3 years running....doesn't matter ; 2 rings means lifetime job.

i get it ......there is no way i'm gonna agree with it or like it.....but i get it.
it's a cross that some of us fans have had to bear for almost a decade now....and will have to continue to do so.

but heck ...@ 6.6 million per year and a lifetime job guarantee ; i'm sure he'll get over my indignations without
so much as a thank you.
so far, for 9 years , he has chosen ignore every damn thing i've ever said.

guess that's why he's the HC and makes the big bucks.....and i'm relegated to posting in a football forum on Christmas day.

sigh........go giants.

You act as though he's the only one ignoring you :rolleyes:

stormblue
12-25-2012, 02:47 PM
You act as though he's the only one ignoring you :rolleyes:

ROFL
you gotta be the most sarcastic MOD there ever was......
i really do appreciate your tongue in cheek one liners....

now go find someone else's eye to poke a stick in !!

RoanokeFan
12-25-2012, 02:51 PM
ROFL
you gotta be the most sarcastic MOD there ever was......
i really do appreciate your tongue in cheek one liners....

now go find someone else's eye to poke a stick in !!

I only mess with those I know can take it and I care about.

stormblue
12-25-2012, 03:01 PM
ha-ha , happy " OMFG....how much did these presents cost me this year , dear" day.

RoanokeFan
12-25-2012, 03:04 PM
ha-ha , happy " OMFG....how much did these presents cost me this year , dear" day.

Best wishes

SuperNYGiants
12-25-2012, 03:20 PM
I just opened up a school for lousy excuses, and fully expect Eli and many other Giants players to sign up.

Look, Peyton just came off a neck surgery which in itself is handful to overcome, but not only has he overcome it, he's beasting out with a team he's only played with since this season. Now, do I really need to sit here and listen to Eli whining about not being in rhythm with a WR he's been playing with for a few years?

GET REAL

FBomb
12-25-2012, 03:29 PM
I just opened up a school for lousy excuses, and fully expect Eli and many other Giants players to sign up.

Look, Peyton just came off a neck surgery which in itself is handful to overcome, but not only has he overcome it, he's beasting out with a team he's only played with since this season. Now, do I really need to sit here and listen to Eli whining about not being in rhythm with a WR he's been playing with for a few years?

GET REAL

No...you don't really need to sit here and listen....you could always just go away, stick your head up your *** or simply just drop dead.. I'm fine with any of those choices.

Marvelousmik
12-25-2012, 03:32 PM

GET REAL

the excuses never stop.

TheShouldersOf
12-25-2012, 06:00 PM

Bradshaw should not be a starter if he can't practice, and when plays can't produce, seems they are content with average running, and his blocking has been average as well this season, whilst he may be in the top five if not the top three of pass protection, this year he has not been,

the Ravens game was a travesty of a performance and effort,

This is on the Coaches who continue to play injured players, the Coordinators scheme that relies on timing and both reading the same options/routes

byron
12-25-2012, 06:51 PM

the walking wounded.

I feel the same on just about everything you said here...I've said more than a few times that as good as TC may be... he could be so much better if he would just lose the stubbornness.....From the beginning I thought he was a mistake going from one extreme to the next the way they did ....And I'm grateful for SB's.... but this uneven on and off again play rears it ugly head every year....leaving many of us untrusting, wondering and questioning just what hell goes on with this team week to week.....Its just plain and simple not fun to watch our beloved team go out and get embarrassed the way they have the last 2 games.....oh well