PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Osi Points Fingers, Calls For Overhaul

RoanokeFan
12-25-2012, 07:47 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...e5H1ywwcOD6QjM (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/giant_change_Adn0WCl7e5H1ywwcOD6QjM)

Excerpt: "There will be changes following this season for the Giants because there always are, especially after a team fails to live up to expectations. Osi Umenyiora after 10 years with the Giants figures to be one of those changes.

Umenyiora, 31, has been around long enough to know, as he says, there’s a “high probability’’ he will be playing for another team in 2013. But as he contemplates what figures to be his last game for the Giants — Sunday against the Eagles — Umenyiora is also wondering how the powers that be will determine who stays and who goes.

“Where are they going to make the changes is the question,’’ Umenyiora said. “There’s no individual, there’s no aspect of the team this year that stood out. There’s nowhere that was up to the standards that we set last year. If they’re going to be making changes, it has to be wholesale changes. Everybody has to leave. There has to be changes for everybody because nobody played above average this year.’’

Clearly, “everybody’’ is not going to leave. It looked as if Umenyiora would be gone following the Super Bowl victory, but he and the team agreed on a contract restructuring both sides could live with. The deal included an easily-voidable 2013 season. Unlike 2011, Umenyiora stayed healthy the entire season and, operating in a defensive end rotation behind starters Jason Pierre-Paul and Justin Tuck, had six sacks, only one-half behind Pierre-Paul for the team lead.

“I definitely have some very good years left in me,’’ Umenyiora said. “I haven’t lost any explosion. I haven’t lost any speed. I’m not happy about the way the season unfolded, but I’m happy about that.’’His goal, Umenyiora stressed, is to remain with the Giants but he knows that is a long-shot.

“I think most people want to finish out their career with the team that they started and I fall into that category,’’ he said. “I would have loved to have finished my career here, but everybody is not so fortunate. Everybody is not a Michael [Strahan].

“I’m just happy with the things I’ve done here and I’m happy with the things that I’ve accomplished here. If it does, in fact, turn out to be my last game, then it’s been a wonderful, wonderful ride and I’m just going to walk around in New York with my head held high because it’s been a great accomplishment playing for this organization and being able to do some of the things that we accomplished here as a team.’’As for what he’s looking for moving forward, Umenyiora said he’s looking to be a starter somewhere next season." Read more...

RoanokeFan
12-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Osi is living in La La Land

Rat_bastich
12-25-2012, 07:54 AM
He's worried what an over 30 pass rusher is going to command in the off season, especially one in obvious decline.

bigblue58
12-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Osi is living in La La Land

Osi actually missed the bus to La La Land because he was too slow to catch it, which left him stranded in denial!

M00KIE
12-25-2012, 10:34 AM
"If they’re going to be making changes, it has to be wholesale changes. Everybody has to leave."

lol oook Osi. He seems like the guy who gets fired and tries getting people to quit and leave with him. It's embarrassing....Much like his play.

We don't need wholesale changes. We need to cut the guys that are supposed to be setting an example and failed miserably at it. The guys chuckling on the sideline down by 20 and playing like they simply don't care. Yeah, guys just like you Osi. You can take Tuck with you.

GameTime
12-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Ehh....Osi knows what good and bad he has done here but overall he has had good success with the Giants. Dont really see much wrong with what he said at all....

CruznNicks
12-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Osi is 100% correct in what he's saying. Don't just blame the dline for not getting sacks. I've seen where they were close but someone is always open. Secondary can't cover, Oline can't block, WR's can't get open and the schemes on both sides of the ball is flawed. To be fair to Osi, it's hard to get a rythem when you're only playing 25 to 30 snaps a game. JPP and Tuck has played more and has less sacks than Osi. Osi has been the most consistant pass rusher and still gets the most flack on these boards.

I know Osi will be gone but i would rather resign him to a 2 yr deal if he comes cheap.

gmen0820
12-25-2012, 11:52 AM
This team will be fine. They'll just cut old, over-the-hill players like Osi, and Tuck and make savvy moves in FA and the draft. Next year, SB contenders. Business as usual.

Cloud57
12-25-2012, 12:36 PM
He's right this team needs major changes before it can become relevant again.

Parademon
12-25-2012, 01:00 PM
This team will be fine. They'll just cut old, over-the-hill players like Osi, and Tuck and make savvy moves in FA and the draft. Next year, SB contenders. Business as usual.

SMH at people calling players that are 30-31..old. You gotta be 19 to have that mindset. Guess Peyton shouldn't be playing cuz he's ancient! 36 I believe.

Got news for you, there are a ton of players in their mid 20s that suck in the NFL. Age has nothing to do with it. It's 90% mental 10% physical.

AB is like 29 & he's also referred to as being "old". Amazing. Got news for some of you...you need a mixture of seasoned vets & young players to have a contending team. You want an entire starting lineup of 22 yr olds on both sides of the ball, be prepared to go thru some lean yrs while they learn how to win.

And by the time they do learn how to win, they will be entering the "old" age of the late 20s that many of you here seem to think a player starts being "washed up". Greg Jennings is being pushed out of GB cuz he's "old'. 29 is what he is! SHM.

Osi & Tuck are at the most 31, they ain't old & washed up, they just probably have become content with 2 SB rings & don't want to put in the effort it takes to win it again. Then I'm in total agreement that they should be traded, released. But to bring up age as an excuse as to why they are not playing like they have the past few yrs is ludricous!

RoanokeFan
12-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Osi actually missed the bus to La La Land because he was too slow to catch it, which left him stranded in denial!

Nice lol

RoanokeFan
12-25-2012, 01:10 PM
SMH at people calling players that are 30-31..old. You gotta be 19 to have that mindset. Guess Peyton shouldn't be playing cuz he's ancient! 36 I believe.

Got news for you, there are a ton of players in their mid 20s that suck in the NFL. Age has nothing to do with it. It's 90% mental 10% physical.

AB is like 29 & he's also referred to as being "old". Amazing. Got news for some of you...you need a mixture of seasoned vets & young players to have a contending team. You want an entire starting lineup of 22 yr olds on both sides of the ball, be prepared to go thru some lean yrs while they learn how to win.

And by the time they do learn how to win, they will be entering the "old" age of the late 20s that many of you here seem to think a player starts being "washed up". Greg Jennings is being pushed out of GB cuz he's "old'. 29 is what he is! SHM.

Osi & Tuck are at the most 31, they ain't old & washed up, they just probably have become content with 2 SB rings & don't want to put in the effort it takes to win it again. Then I'm in total agreement that they should be traded, released. But to bring up age as an excuse as to why they are not playing like they have the past few yrs is ludricous!

I can't speak for anyone else, but when I see someone talk about a player being "old", I think they mean in terms of being a veteran here and starting to decline. Tuck, Osi, Bradshaw, Diehl, Webster are a few who, as of late, haven't produced up to their usual (expected) standards. We shouldn't be surprised if none of them is back next season. What bothers me is when players like this are referred to as "garbage", "bums", etc.

They weren't always in decline and some, like Bradshaw, are fighting perennial injuries just to get on the field. Fortunately, in our system, we are developing players we expect to take their places.

Parademon
12-25-2012, 01:22 PM
And all those players have 2 rings & with the exception of AB, I just think they have lost the fire to excel at the level needed to win another title. Maybe they are content with 2 rings. I wish they had the intensity & desire to always win a ring like Tom Brady does. I hate NE with a passion but truly respect how yr in & yr out they are always trying to get to the SB & win it! I hear some fans here saying "oh well you can't win it every yr & I'm happy with the 2 in 5 yrs " card. I say BS! I bet NE fans don't think that way. They fully expect their team to be in full contention for a ring every single yr! I'm that way with the Giants. Will they win a SB every yr/ No, I know that. But at least compete every yr & at least make the playoffs every yr & give it your best shot. I could live with that. What I cannot live with is this , every yr 6-2 start & then play like a bag of fecal matter in the 2nd half & every now & then get "hot" at the right time & win a SB. NE made the SB last yr, & unlike the Giants they don't struggle to win games the following yr & play like poop. They win their division, they secure a top 4 seed & host at least a 2nd rd game at home if not all of em. Why do we have so much trouble doing that?

The yr in, yr out inconsistancy of this team is really getting old. And we wonder why some in the media, along with players from other teams & their fan base give us so little respect even when we do win a SB.

RoanokeFan
12-25-2012, 01:26 PM
And all those players have 2 rings & with the exception of AB, I just think they have lost the fire to excel at the level needed to win another title. Maybe they are content with 2 rings. I wish they had the intensity & desire to always win a ring like Tom Brady does. I hate NE with a passion but truly respect how yr in & yr out they are always trying to get to the SB & win it! I hear some fans here saying "oh well you can't win it every yr & I'm happy with the 2 in 5 yrs " card. I say BS! I bet NE fans don't think that way. They fully expect their team to be in full contention for a ring every single yr! I'm that way with the Giants. Will they win a SB every yr/ No, I know that. But at least compete every yr & at least make the playoffs every yr & give it your best shot. I could live with that. What I cannot live with is this , every yr 6-2 start & then play like a bag of fecal matter in the 2nd half & every now & then get "hot" at the right time & win a SB. NE made the SB last yr, & unlike the Giants they don't struggle to win games the following yr & play like poop. They win their division, they secure a top 4 seed & host at least a 2nd rd game at home if not all of em. Why do we have so much trouble doing that?

The yr in, yr out inconsistancy of this team is really getting old. And we wonder why some in the media, along with players from other teams & their fan base give us so little respect even when we do win a SB.

It's just never enough in New York.

FlyingTruck
12-25-2012, 01:29 PM
This team will be fine. They'll just cut old, over-the-hill players like Osi, and Tuck and make savvy moves in FA and the draft. Next year, SB contenders. Business as usual.Reese and co. haven't exactly been that great in FA. We better draft for necessity and not BPA this upcoming draft though.

Redeyejedi
12-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Reese and co. haven't exactly been that great in FA. We better draft for necessity and not BPA this upcoming draft though. They signed 3 guys this offseason Stevie Brown, Sean Locklear, and Martellus Bennett every single one was worth more then the Giants paid for them. Who have they whiffed on? What guy have the Giants signed to big money from another team who was just awful

RoanokeFan
12-25-2012, 01:48 PM
They signed 3 guys this offseason Stevie Brown, Sean Locklear, and Martellus Bennett every single one was worth more then the Giants paid for them,

+1

GFiP
12-25-2012, 02:42 PM
One if the worst players on the team pointing fingers... hilarious.So long, dipstick.

gmen0820
12-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Reese and co. haven't exactly been that great in FA. We better draft for necessity and not BPA this upcoming draft though.What teams have been great in free agency anyway? Way more losers than winners in FA. I'd say they are definitely above average in that department, and definitely capable of making a few savvy moves.

gmen0820
12-25-2012, 03:09 PM
They signed 3 guys this offseason Stevie Brown, Sean Locklear, and Martellus Bennett every single one was worth more then the Giants paid for them. Who have they whiffed on? What guy have the Giants signed to big money from another team who was just awfulReese gets a bad rap for spending a lot of money in 2009 on the defense, and that defense proceeding to stink up the joint. I'd say the Giants are one of the best Free Agency teams, mainly because of impulse control.

jomo
12-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Osi is living in La La LandHe's working on his career transition to being a deep thinker.

RoanokeFan
12-25-2012, 03:13 PM
He's working on his career transition to being a deep thinker.

I honestly try to suport all the players who wear our uniform. But Osi is just wearing me out. He clearly is the team's Emperor With No Clothes. And he justifies his shortcomings by criticizing the rest of his teammates.

If his thought process permeates the rest of the players, it's no wonder they play like sit.

bigblue58
12-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Nice lol

Thanks dude