PDA

View Full Version : eli needs to improve his strength/athleticism

GiantsFan27
12-25-2012, 07:00 PM
obviously this isn't on the top of our list of problems but im kinda tired of hearing chris snee, eli, and other teammates openly joke about eli not being a good athlete. it's like it's okay for eli to get away with it just because he's won 2 SB's. but in my opinion if you're getting paid as much as he does, you can't just ignore that part of the game. im not suggesting that he becomes a michael vick but he can definitely be more mobile on rollouts and evading pressure. mobility is different from pocket presence. he has pretty good pocket presence but I don't see why he can't improve his mobility to be more like aaron rogers. he just looks skittish whenever he gets outside the pocket and would rather throw it up for grabs than take a sack.

Paradroid
12-25-2012, 07:02 PM
This is a joke, right?

Jorge Boada
12-25-2012, 07:09 PM
He needs to improve everything in the off-season...

GiantsFan27
12-25-2012, 07:09 PM
This is a joke, right?

why would I be joking about this? is an NFL qb really supposed to just say "yea, im not a natural athlete" and leave it at that? im not saying he's out of shape. I've never seen him gassed or anything like that. but to say he doesn't need improvement in that area is absurd.

Cloud57
12-25-2012, 07:11 PM
lol, if you watch his college highlights he was much more athletic. Even Peyton looks more athletic right now. This entire team need more athleticism. That being said I don't see Eli's lack of athleticism as a major problem.

GiantsFan27
12-25-2012, 07:15 PM
lol, if you watch his college highlights he was much more athletic. Even Peyton looks more athletic right now. This entire team need more athleticism. That being said I don't see Eli's lack of athleticism as a major problem.

right, it's not a major problem. you're also right about peyton even being more athletic while older and coming back from a serious injury. tom brady was a horrible athlete coming outta Michigan (see 40 yard dash at combine). and while he's not very mobile either but gets by with sick pocket presence, you'll see him give it his all the few times he runs, and when he does QB sneaks. he goes all out for his team and gets them fired up.

it just seems like eli thinks "nah, im not that kinda quarterback, I dissect defenses and have good timing with my receivers, and that's what I do, etc etc."

I know eli likes to play the "even keeled, cool, calm, collected QB" card but man sometimes eli, you just gotta show a little emotion and get in the game. we know you want to win but how about you show it a little more sometimes. he had one run this season where he threw his right shoulder into a defender which riled up the team. again, im not saying do that all the time but just show some passion.

Paradroid
12-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Hey if there was a way for Eli to improve his athleticism, I'd be all for it. Maybe while we're at it, Victor Cruz can learn how to fly. That'd be a sick advantage.

Rudyy
12-25-2012, 07:23 PM
I see what you're saying, but Eli has done just fine being the way he is.
In terms of rolling out to avoid pressure, how about drafting quality OL?

GiantsFan27
12-25-2012, 07:23 PM
Hey if there was a way for Eli to improve his athleticism, I'd be all for it. Maybe while we're at it, Victor Cruz can learn how to fly. That'd be a sick advantage.

ha

GiantsFan27
12-25-2012, 07:24 PM
How about drafting quality offensive linemen so he won't have to worry about rolling out.

I mean yea, that'd be great too but why not improve both?

Rudyy
12-25-2012, 07:27 PM
I mean yea, that'd be great too but why not improve both?He's just not a physical specimen. Not all players are.
People say that Hakeem Nicks is flabby but he's a great physical receiver. Would it help his game? maybe, but it's not a necessity.

GiantsFan27
12-25-2012, 07:32 PM
He's just not a physical specimen. Not all players are.
People say that Hakeem Nicks is flabby but he's a great physical receiver. Would it help his game? maybe, but it's not a necessity.

I see your point. it's just that I see some plays that break down and eli gets rushed and tries to excape and if he was just a LITTLE bit faster, he'd evade the pressure which can lead to big plays since it's so hard for CB's to cover that long. to me, that seems like something that can be improved. genetics can only limit you so much, but when you have world-class trainers and strength/conditioning coaches there to guide you, I cant see why they cant get more out of eli in that department. that's all.

Parademon
12-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Could be genetics. Archie wasn't a solidly built QB either, though he was way more mobile & agile than Eli. IMO, Eli is just a klutzy guy.

He sure does look like he's running in slow motion when he does take off every blue moon.

Tony Bruno
12-25-2012, 07:46 PM
I'd just prefer a blocking o line... It may just be easier...

gmen0820
12-25-2012, 07:48 PM
I think he just needs to settle down. His presence in the pocket, and believe me, I am aware with what he's working with, has really regressed from last year, specifically during the run.

Flip Empty
12-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Eli can move if he needs to. He's not Tom Brady-slow.

TheEnigma
12-25-2012, 08:19 PM
You can only do so much with the genetics you have. No matter how hard you work, you'll never be as quick and strong as Megatron. When you compare the Manning QBs to the others in the league, their athleticism is lacking. It's just not a super athletic family but since QB can be played at an elite level in this league with your mind first and body second, the Mannings are where they are.

BuffyBlueII
12-25-2012, 08:22 PM
I have to agree with the OP on this. Its kind of odd however because when left to our own veiw on what we need to improve in ourselves may not be the thing we need to work on the most. I am sure Eli will work mainly on throwing and timing and although he does need to work on this he also need to work on his athleticism and that is where a coach and personal trainer come in.

Buddy333
12-25-2012, 08:23 PM
What they need to do is have an OL that can protect him better. He is what he is and he is not all of a sudden going to become a different player. He is a tough and smart player but he is also streaky.

fourth&forever
12-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Eli has a better physique than Joe Montana. so what?

We just need Eli's shoulder and arm at 100%

DarkSaint
12-25-2012, 08:35 PM
I just want Killdrive gone. Our offense will improve just because of the play calling. The Steelers had a terrible Oline and they implemented more short yard passing. Our OC was too stubborn to adjust. He will ruin the prime years of our Qb with 8-9 win seasons.

BuffyBlueII
12-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Eli can move if he needs to. He's not Tom Brady-slow.Eli and Tom are comparable in speed. The difference is that there are plays designed for Tommy Brady to run and they practice that while we don't.

Marvelousmik
12-25-2012, 08:48 PM
Eli and Tom are comparable in speed. The difference is that there are plays designed for Tommy Brady to run and they practice that while we don't.

The patriots have designed runs for tom brady that are practiced? Is that what you're trying to say?

TheEnigma
12-25-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm not sure really if Eli's issue is so much speed but more along the lines of his acceleration. At least that's what Rodgers seems to have. Eli looks like a statue trying to come to life when he starts running lol.

Parademon
12-25-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm not sure really if Eli's issue is so much speed but more along the lines of his acceleration. At least that's what Rodgers seems to have. Eli looks like a statue trying to come to life when he starts running lol.

You shouldn't insult statues like that bro.

radar-ray
12-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Eli needs to improve his Oline and OC for starters.

BuffyBlueII
12-25-2012, 09:03 PM
The patriots have designed runs for tom brady that are practiced? Is that what you're trying to say?WTF you think I'm saying? You miserable ****** bag.

Marvelousmik
12-25-2012, 09:06 PM
WTF you think I'm saying? You miserable ****** bag.

:(..So much for having a good Christmas spirit.

DarkSaint
12-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Buffy, no point in getting aggravated. They hate on Eli because, they are still living in the past and somehow have to hate Eli due to some warped sense of loyalty to simms or they are secretly eagles or cowboys fans. No way would a giants fan be this zealous in his attack on his own QB.

B-Red22
12-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Dude, just stop

Roosevelt
12-25-2012, 09:19 PM
I just want Killdrive gone. Our offense will improve just because of the play calling. The Steelers had a terrible Oline and they implemented more short yard passing. Our OC was too stubborn to adjust. He will ruin the prime years of our Qb with 8-9 win seasons.

Please explain KG's influence on our 2011 season.

Roosevelt
12-25-2012, 09:21 PM

Relax bro. I got banned for posting something similar.

Parademon
12-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Kinda naive to think that just cuz we are talking about Eli's bad yr & his "elite" status, all of a sudden we are not true G-men fans. It just means that alot of us are not homers wearing rose colored eye glasses & being in denial about our teams & certain players dismal play this yr.

Sarcasman
12-25-2012, 09:25 PM

Why can't we have this spirit the whole year round?

DarkSaint
12-25-2012, 09:28 PM
(To Roosevelt, can't quote on a wp8 phone) Zilch.. he was running the same crappy system last year that he was running 20 years ago. The defenses caught up to our player strenghts and made adjustments but our BEST in the business wasn't creative enough to counter.

DarkSaint
12-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Paradeamon, criticizing his play and going on an all out barrage to prove he isn't elite are 2 different things.

GameTime
12-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Eli cant improve his athletisism. It is what it is. Strength is a different story......couldn't hurt to lift a bit more....

Evo'Ed
12-25-2012, 11:02 PM
OP I kind of understand the point you are making.

IMO I believe any athlete can improve their athleticism with training but to what extent gains can be achieved is the big question; some people can just gain more from training.

Anybody know what type of off season conditioning program the Giants give to Eli?

Just reading about Peyton's comeback that guy really trained hard in the weight room and with his legs.

Buto
12-26-2012, 05:18 AM
EMIII
Eli will never win at Pemlico but he does quite well hauling the ***t wagon.
What Eli needs is healty receivers, better blocking, better play calling and a better running backs coach.

GiantsFan27
12-26-2012, 06:36 AM
Dude, just stop

I liked the part where you presented an argument backing up your opinion

rebelfan1966
12-26-2012, 09:10 AM
I understand there is a passing camp every summer near his hometown, maybe he can sign up?

Rudyy
12-26-2012, 09:17 AM
I understand there is a passing camp every summer near his hometown, maybe he can sign up?Doesn't he and his brother have their own QB camp?

rebelfan1966
12-26-2012, 09:21 AM
Doesn't he and his brother have their own QB camp?

I should have put that in red... lol

rebelfan1966
12-26-2012, 09:28 AM
But yea, they do put on a QB camp every summer.....

Rudyy
12-26-2012, 09:34 AM
I should have put that in red... lolForgive me, Christmas hangover lol..

rebelfan1966
12-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Forgive me, Christmas hangover lol..

Believe me, I feel your pain... lol