PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Jacobs... Greatest Giant ever!

savantelite
12-25-2012, 11:22 PM
With the most superbowl rings and rushing touchdowns of any Giant. Brandon Jacobs is the Greatest Giant ever.

Brandon battled though injury his entire career. One of the draw-backs to living life as a human battering-ram. But his most overlooked skill is exacly why the Giants are failing this year. Pass-blocking. In 2011, Eli was able to scorch blitzing defenses with a back field 260 pound lineman! Yea, Brandon Jacobs could also go down as the greatest pass-blocking running back ever! Think about opposing defenses for a moment, now would you blitz a 210 pound safety or a 250 pound linebacker into a back field containing one mean Brandon Jacobs? The same back that leveled you the play before for a 4 yard gain. Lets suffice that Eli had more time to throw the ball down field when the battering-ram was willing to step infront of ANY guy coming free.

There is more to football than just on the field. Brandon was a passionate about his team mates and winning. He is the only Giant to take a paycut twice! To keep a guy that started ahead of him! The second time lead to a Superbowl. But in case you missed it. Brandon knew the Gaints didn't have the cap room to keep him and were going to release him at the end of the season. What could be the last years of the bruising running back carreer could be lengthened by sitting out some games in 2011. But that didn't happen, Brandon played hurt all year long. And when it mattered most, gave his body up for the Giants.

But he also gave us his mouth too. One of my favorate moments was 2011, a season winding down, and a Giants team once again playing dissappointing football. The opposing trash-talking New York Jets Coach Rex Ryan crossed trails with one Brandon Jacobs. In my opinion Brandon is also the most passionate Giant ever. So when he stood up to the bully, "Time to shut the **** up, Fat boy!" every Giant silently stood behind him.

We miss you Brandon. And we know you miss us too. One day we will raise your number 27. Till then know your an inspiration for every man that does the dirty work, for the greater purpose.

HakeemDaDream88
12-25-2012, 11:39 PM
When i read this I thought it was retarted, but after reading it you have a slight point. Miss jacobs

Overdrive92
12-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Greatest Giant ever? I don't know. I think you mean to say he has great Giants passion, which he does.

M00KIE
12-26-2012, 04:51 AM
Umm...Nah.

Buto
12-26-2012, 05:07 AM
Can't get rid of that stack of Jacobs jerseys?
Change the name to Brown.

r1000
12-26-2012, 07:06 AM
Cannot find an argument to your pass protection points... I have to agree with that part big time!!!!

jomo
12-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Not even on the top 10, though I liked him alot.

Mercury
12-26-2012, 08:47 AM
I'm not even sure if he's the greatest Giants RB ever. However, you make some very good points. He was a great Giant and underappreciated.

rebelfan1966
12-26-2012, 08:54 AM
One thing about Jacobs and Bradshaw, they feed off of each other. Between the two of them, they always seemed to come up with a play during the game to fire up the entire team.... Sometimes that was Bradshaw refusing to go down and picking up an extra five yards, or BJ just trucking somebody.

blueomaha
12-26-2012, 09:26 AM
There was a lot of venom on the MB about BJ...I loved his spirit and was disappointed the NYG couldn't work things out with him...misss you, BJ....

Moke
12-26-2012, 10:41 AM
How isn't he a great Giant? We definitely miss someone like this.... For sure. I feel like there is no passion anymore on this team, which Jacobs brought. Even when he ran, I felt like the team was going nuts.

GMENAGAIN
12-26-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm not even sure if he's the greatest Giants RB ever. However, you make some very good points. He was a great Giant and underappreciated.

+1

dakotajoe
12-26-2012, 11:09 AM
One of the most overrated Giants ever. 32nd in the league rushing in his last season in blue. 4th string on another team. With that said, all in all he had a good career in blue.

I agree, you would never see him get trucked in pass blocking like Wilson was. He got the job done.

YATittle1962
12-26-2012, 11:15 AM
I might put him in the top 20 Giants ever

but yeah ....he was a passionate guy

couldn't convert 3rd and 1 90% of the time......but passionate none the less

PRGiant
12-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Um no...

Tmurda1984
12-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Reese doesnt care about guys who bring passion to the game. Its all about forty times and fans favorite word "potential".

BJacobs aka The Problem
12-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Will always be one of my favorite players. Was sad to see him go this year and wish there was room on the roster for him to come back next year. He'd go into my top 20.

Roosevelt
12-26-2012, 02:28 PM
I always loved Brandon's passion for the game and watching him take on and roll over defenders.

joemorrisforprez
12-26-2012, 02:54 PM
How isn't he a great Giant? We definitely miss someone like this.... For sure. I feel like there is no passion anymore on this team, which Jacobs brought. Even when he ran, I felt like the team was going nuts.

I agree.

I'm not going to call him the greatest Giant ever......that's LT, hands down.

But....he was a great Giant.

I'll never forget him converting that 4th down in SB 42...... if not for Jacobs, there wouldn't have been Manning-to-Tyree.

Jacobs didn't take any **** from anyone.....sometimes, that was a major liability.....but we sure could have used his attitude over the last 2 weeks.

giantscolombia
12-26-2012, 03:17 PM
NO!

jomo
12-26-2012, 03:53 PM
How isn't he a great Giant? We definitely miss someone like this.... For sure. I feel like there is no passion anymore on this team, which Jacobs brought. Even when he ran, I felt like the team was going nuts.the title and theme of the original post was "Brandon Jacobs the GREATEST Giant ever." That is where most here take exception, not that he wasn't a good one or even a great one.

radar-ray
12-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Great Giant, yes. Greatest Giant, no. Sure do miss his fire, something this team is sorely lacking, not to mention his blocking.

appodictic
12-26-2012, 09:10 PM
And to think we gave osi 3 million to play for us when he already wanted a contract when BJ only wanted 500,000 more.

savantelite
12-27-2012, 12:39 AM
I know his yards per carry is junk, and so is his 3 and 1. However, you have to look at him from a defensive perspective. Teams couldn't play nickel or dime defense with him in the game! Brandon saw 7 big dudes in the box every play of his carreer when he rushed for under 8 yards a carry. Any team that played nickel or dime with Brandon on the field gave Eli a free first down with Big B! What that translates to in 3 wide reciever sets is Cruz on a safety, slot corner, or line backer one on one almost every time! . If stats mattered so much wouldn't Calvin Johnson and the Lions be undefeated? There is a large gray area to what makes a Superbowl team. Think of Brandon Jacobs as a great in that area.

NYCDBS
12-27-2012, 01:49 AM
The OP makes some excellent points. I don't know if I can hand him the crown of greatest Giant ever but one of the greats for sure. BJ brought a passion and intensity that is sorely missed on this team. The guy bled BLUE and tried to make people pay for lining up against him. NO ONE on this team has that kind of attitude. We miss you Brandon Jacobs you will always be a GIANT in my eyes.

Manning
12-27-2012, 02:07 AM
Only rebuttal is that Bradshaw was the top ranked pass blocking RB by PFF.

I fully remember Jacobs was getting booed every carry he was given in the middle of last year at home games due to zero productivity.

Smith&Nicks
12-27-2012, 03:58 AM
I Miss BJ too! just as much as any of you guys. My wife has been all natzi about it since the incident now its as rare as a giants touchdown in the red zone.

edit: OH!?! Brandon Jacobs.... yeah i miss him too.

blueomaha
12-27-2012, 09:15 AM
When BJ shipped out, he took with him the one thing the NYG needed to make the playoffs...the fire...NYG lack the passion needed to defend the title...who is the leader on this team??...before BJ it was AP....

Joe Morrison
12-27-2012, 10:09 AM
As noted in an earlier post, Jacobs presented huge mismathces for other teams when he was on the field, they crowded the line and opened up the passing game, same was said about Burress, he created huge mismatches making the safety stay back creating the running lanes, it's all about TEAM and how it works together, not always about the stats.
Jacobs was missed this year, Manningham was another story, knowing Nicks had never played a 16 game season why they didn't throw Mario a couple of extra bucks was just foolish, and letting Ross go not even knowing if TT was going to be 100% and then ends up out for the year, I am not feeling it for Reece, no impact players from the draft this year, maybe Wilson will pan out but didn't get a real shot this year.
Maybe Brandon comes back in the off season, it really didn't work out in SF.

JJC7301
12-27-2012, 11:18 AM
I miss Jacobs, too. Good guy to have on the team. Had some very good years for the Giants. Best Giant ever? Not even close. But, he was a Giant through-and-through and I miss him.

Parademon
12-27-2012, 08:52 PM
BJ is a top 20 Giant & since his departure, we lost the toughness & swagger that he would bring to the table every single game.He backed down from no one & that fired up the team. Defenses had to play much diferently last yr than they did this yr just cuz of his presense in the backfield He was like an additional OL/TE in pass protect & no one ever trucked him on a blitz! He played with heart & passion & anger, sadly, all 3 of those emotions are severely lacking this yr with this team. Not resigning him & Manningham hurt the O more than they care to admit!

jomo
12-27-2012, 09:00 PM
I miss Jacobs, too. Good guy to have on the team. Had some very good years for the Giants. Best Giant ever? Not even close. But, he was a Giant through-and-through and I miss him.That pretty much captures it.

big blue dog
12-27-2012, 09:13 PM
all i can say is he gave every thing to the team and he was the hammer that this team lacks.

mike kennedy
12-27-2012, 09:27 PM
.MOKE. I Find it very very hard to read your post with that unbearable apparition above your name.

Moke
12-28-2012, 09:27 AM
.MOKE. I Find it very very hard to read your post with that unbearable apparition above your name.

I believe in you man.

LT Stands For Greatness
12-28-2012, 10:27 AM
So BJ > LT? Is that what you are saying?

egyptian420
12-28-2012, 10:41 AM
One thing about Jacobs and Bradshaw, they feed off of each other. Between the two of them, they always seemed to come up with a play during the game to fire up the entire team.... Sometimes that was Bradshaw refusing to go down and picking up an extra five yards, or BJ just trucking somebody.Used to love them as a combo, will never forget this play, was watching it at my friend's house who's a cowboy fan, I went NUTS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqxNl0hBfmc

BigBlue1971
12-28-2012, 11:08 AM
i love BJ but the greatest Giant ever? i dont think so. he brought much joy to the team and fans alike but at this point he is not the greatest!

he could add to his legacy if he signed again to support this tandem of running backs.

Toadofsteel
12-28-2012, 11:14 AM
i love BJ but the greatest Giant ever? i dont think so. he brought much joy to the team and fans alike but at this point he is not the greatest!

he could add to his legacy if he signed again to support this tandem of running backs.

Honestly, I'd love to see if he could still block on third down... he might still have some value left. JR wanted him back this year, they just disagreed over price. Now that Jacobs saw how he'd be treated on the niners, he might be willing to come back now for a vet min price.

BigBlue1971
12-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Honestly, I'd love to see if he could still block on third down... he might still have some value left. JR wanted him back this year, they just disagreed over price. Now that Jacobs saw how he'd be treated on the niners, he might be willing to come back now for a vet min price.

i think he will be a serious consideration to come back. he wants to retire a Giants and imo he might have a couple of "good" years left.

Toadofsteel
12-28-2012, 11:23 AM
i think he will be a serious consideration to come back. he wants to retire a Giants and imo he might have a couple of "good" years left.

And can you imagine... we give so much crap to Tuck for supposedly imparting softness to JPP, so what if Jacobs does the same and imparts that "don't take no crap from nobody" attitude to Brown and Wilson? We'd have a monster backfield for years to come...

BeatYale
12-28-2012, 01:07 PM
The guy looked and talked like Tarzan, but ran like Jane. The media loved him because he was stupid enough to give them what they wanted, which was comments that showed his frustration about him sucking on the field or crying about losing his job. And fans thought of it as him being more passionate than other players lol. If he ran like he wanted his job back, he would have had it back. He was good, as were all of our RB's, during the years our OLine was stellar at run blocking. When our OLine went on the decline and we needed RB's to make their own yards on a more consistent basis.....it became apparent his running style wasn't great and he simply couldn't break bad habits. Nobody called guys like Jim Brown, Jerome Bettis, or Jamal Lewis 'tip toe bandits'.....there was never any reason to.

Jacobs had some great moments, like the 4th down conversion against the Pats, the comment to Rex Ryan after the game, the charitable stuff he did for some fans etc. but he's not the greatest Giant ever IMO.

bigblue58
12-28-2012, 01:23 PM
With the most superbowl rings and rushing touchdowns of any Giant. Brandon Jacobs is the Greatest Giant ever.

Brandon battled though injury his entire career. One of the draw-backs to living life as a human battering-ram. But his most overlooked skill is exacly why the Giants are failing this year. Pass-blocking. In 2011, Eli was able to scorch blitzing defenses with a back field 260 pound lineman! Yea, Brandon Jacobs could also go down as the greatest pass-blocking running back ever! Think about opposing defenses for a moment, now would you blitz a 210 pound safety or a 250 pound linebacker into a back field containing one mean Brandon Jacobs? The same back that leveled you the play before for a 4 yard gain. Lets suffice that Eli had more time to throw the ball down field when the battering-ram was willing to step infront of ANY guy coming free.

There is more to football than just on the field. Brandon was a passionate about his team mates and winning. He is the only Giant to take a paycut twice! To keep a guy that started ahead of him! The second time lead to a Superbowl. But in case you missed it. Brandon knew the Gaints didn't have the cap room to keep him and were going to release him at the end of the season. What could be the last years of the bruising running back carreer could be lengthened by sitting out some games in 2011. But that didn't happen, Brandon played hurt all year long. And when it mattered most, gave his body up for the Giants.

But he also gave us his mouth too. One of my favorate moments was 2011, a season winding down, and a Giants team once again playing dissappointing football. The opposing trash-talking New York Jets Coach Rex Ryan crossed trails with one Brandon Jacobs. In my opinion Brandon is also the most passionate Giant ever. So when he stood up to the bully, "Time to shut the **** up, Fat boy!" every Giant silently stood behind him.

We miss you Brandon. And we know you miss us too. One day we will raise your number 27. Till then know your an inspiration for every man that does the dirty work, for the greater purpose.

At least Jacobs had a pulse and showed emotion on the sideline to get the team pumped!
Watching the Giants sideline when they're being blown out is like watching a bunch of bored stockbrokers waiting for the train!