PDA

View Full Version : CAN THEY GET ANOTHER YEAR OUT OF JUSTIN TUCK?

RoanokeFan
12-26-2012, 07:48 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/tough-roster-decisions-await-giants-offseason-article-1.1227331

Excerpt: "Tuck is a warrior and a two-time Super Bowl champion who, not insignificantly, played tremendous during both title runs. However, injuries and time have taken their toll and, by any measure, he’s simply not the player he was.

He had just five sacks last year, during a personally difficult season, before revitalizing himself for the playoffs. This season he’s dipped to three and he’s no longer a pass-rushing force. Worse, he’ll be 30 next season and due $4.5 million in salary.

That’s not a ton of money and he is a team leader. The Giants also will need defensive ends with Osi Umenyiora almost certain to go elsewhere as a free agent. But the hard question has to be asked: What does Tuck have left? And what is it worth?" Read more...

Buddy333
12-26-2012, 08:07 AM
They can not go into next season relying on him and tis is coming from a fan of his. No way they should sign Osi asin unless he comes real cheap plays on passing downs.

RoanokeFan
12-26-2012, 08:17 AM
They can not go into next season relying on him and tis is coming from a fan of his. No way they should sign Osi asin unless he comes real cheap plays on passing downs.

I wish I knew more about how contracts were structured. We look at a player making, say 7,000,000 in the upcoming season and then we say "we could cut him and have all that CAP space." But then we cut him, and we learn we're still going to pay him some or all of that money.

I don't see how we keep Osi or Tuck and I believe their replacements are already here in Tracy and Ojomo. But unless we want to rebuild for a season, would we be wiser to keep Tuck "in the rotation" until we can get Tracy and Ojomo enough game snaps to shoulder the load?

Diehl has to go as well, I love the guy but it's time and far behind can Snee be? Locklear can obviously replace Diehl but is Brewer the answer for Snee?

Glad I don't have to make these decisions.

Buddy333
12-26-2012, 08:20 AM
They probably keep Tuck but they can not count on him. Last year he was ready to quit football before having a great finish. This year he has been invisible.

RoanokeFan
12-26-2012, 08:22 AM
They probably keep Tuck but they can not count on him. Last year he was ready to quit football before having a great finish. This year he has been invisible.

Imagine having to MAKE these decisions for real?

Buddy333
12-26-2012, 08:27 AM
It's tough. They ay have to take a step further back to get better though. Have to make some cuts. Webster is a good example. Just an opinion, but they would be better off parting ways with him and going thin next year with the young guys. Then do something with that $7 million they where owing to pay Webster with.

jomo
12-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Imagine having to MAKE these decisions for real?Very difficult, especially with a guy like Tuck has done so much for this organization over the years. However, this is a performance business where we have a limited amount of dough to spread around in order to field a championship calibre team. We are not in the charity business. I view Tuck's salary as an opportunity for us next yeas as we redeploy that into a much more productive player(s). We also have the right GM to do the right thing for the organization and its fans..

Mercury
12-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Tough question. This year Tuck was not the Tuck of old. Tuck used to have a bull rush that was devestating. He could beat double teams. We as fans know something is wrong, but we don't know what it is. Is it an undisclosed injury? Has he lost his love of the game? He's not that old, but maybe the injuries have aged him beyond his years. Whatever it is, we need a DE, (as well as DTs) that will take some of the pressure off of JPP.

Rudyy
12-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Tuck is done. We need fresh legs.

njg85m
12-26-2012, 10:02 AM
We couldn't even get this year out of him, why would we get next?

RoanokeFan
12-26-2012, 10:09 AM
We couldn't even get this year out of him, why would we get next?

That's the real question. He's had injuries as do a lot of good players. In Tuck's case I think it's more mental and it's about his neck which he injured last year and let that control his activity. He either needs to forget his neck, which is easy to say, or retire.

rebelfan1966
12-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Unfortunately, he has a cronic shoulder injury that shows up at the worst times every season. Probably from going on the subway weight training program.... the upside is that RGIII is on the same program, so we should see a drop off in his performance soon.

Shockeystays08
12-26-2012, 10:15 AM
They didn't get this year out of Justin Tuck.

Hooligans
12-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Tuck is a warrior and a two-time Super Bowl champion who, not insignificantly, played tremendous during both title runs. However, injuries and time have taken their toll and, by any measure, heís simply not the player he was.

He had just five sacks last year, during a personally difficult season, before revitalizing himself for the playoffs. This season heís dipped to three and heís no longer a pass-rushing force. Worse, heíll be 30 next season and due $4.5 million in salary.

Thatís not a ton of money and he is a team leader. The Giants also will need defensive ends with Osi Umenyiora almost certain to go elsewhere as a free agent. But the hard question has to be asked: What does Tuck have left? And what is it worth?" Read more...

No, Tuck is finished. Let some other NFL team waste money on him, same for Osi.

GameTime
12-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Tuck would need a serious change of attitude. If his body is shot then he is done. I have a feeling its more of an attitude thing though.

Buddy333
12-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Tuck would need a serious change of attitude. If his body is shot then he is done. I have a feeling its more of an attitude thing though.Again, coming from a big fan of his, they can not rely on him.

GameTime
12-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Again, coming from a big fan of his, they can not rely on him.

yep.....you are right. He has made his own rep

RoanokeFan
12-26-2012, 10:58 AM
yep.....you are right. He has made his own rep

Talk about a rapid decline

VBGiantsFan
12-26-2012, 10:59 AM
I wish I knew more about how contracts were structured. We look at a player making, say 7,000,000 in the upcoming season and then we say "we could cut him and have all that CAP space." But then we cut him, and we learn we're still going to pay him some or all of that money.

I don't see how we keep Osi or Tuck and I believe their replacements are already here in Tracy and Ojomo. But unless we want to rebuild for a season, would we be wiser to keep Tuck "in the rotation" until we can get Tracy and Ojomo enough game snaps to shoulder the load?

Diehl has to go as well, I love the guy but it's time and far behind can Snee be? Locklear can obviously replace Diehl but is Brewer the answer for Snee?

Glad I don't have to make these decisions.

I doubt the Giants brass thinks Tracy and Ojomo are adequate replacements. Ojomo was a pre-season warrior against the 4th string. He hasn't seen a down yet this season. Tracy has been all year slient on special teams and finally played last week and was held completely in check.

Too many fans look at Ojomo and think he's the defensive Victor Cruz because of his pre-season performance, but a guy like Cruz is special and doesn't come around that often.

We need to draft a stud DE or try our hand at free agency.

GameTime
12-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Talk about a rapid decline
can only imagine football is very tough sport if yuor head and heart are into it 110%.
IMO thats what separates players. Overall they are all talented it just depends on who wants it more and who has the most fire.....

NYGabriel
12-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Get rid. He's been a disgrace this year and he's not the future.

RoanokeFan
12-26-2012, 11:05 AM
I doubt the Giants brass thinks Tracy and Ojomo are adequate replacements. Ojomo was a pre-season warrior against the 4th string. He hasn't seen a down yet this season. Tracy has been all year slient on special teams and finally played last week and was held completely in check.

Too many fans look at Ojomo and think he's the defensive Victor Cruz because of his pre-season performance, but a guy like Cruz is special and doesn't come around that often.

We need to draft a stud DE or try our hand at free agency.

Ojomo still has to prove what we saw is real and that he can sustain it. He had an injury and has been playing behind Tuck, Osi, JPP and Tracy. No surprise he hasn't seen the field this season. As for the Cruz comparison, they were both kept because the team believes they can produce. Cruz got his chance due to an injury. Ojomo will get his chance when they trim the roster down.

RoanokeFan
12-26-2012, 11:06 AM
can only imagine football is very tough sport if yuor head and heart are into it 110%.
IMO thats what separates players. Overall they are all talented it just depends on who wants it more and who has the most fire.....

Ever since the neck injury, Tuck has not been the same.

gfanblue
12-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Would not, could not rely on him. Should not even consider it.

Mercury
12-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Ever since the neck injury, Tuck has not been the same.

He looked pretty good during the playoffs and SB. He talked big in the off-season about a Giants Dynasty. However, he disappeared this year.

GMENAGAIN
12-26-2012, 11:59 AM
He looked pretty good during the playoffs and SB. He talked big in the off-season about a Giants Dynasty. However, he disappeared this year.

I just think that physically he can't be a consistent performer for us. He might play well in spurts here and there, but as a consistent producer he seems done . . . . . .

Manning
12-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Tuck sucked all of last year while sulking during the regular season.

TrueBlue@NYC
12-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Tough question. This year Tuck was not the Tuck of old. Tuck used to have a bull rush that was devestating. He could beat double teams. We as fans know something is wrong, but we don't know what it is. Is it an undisclosed injury? Has he lost his love of the game? He's not that old, but maybe the injuries have aged him beyond his years. Whatever it is, we need a DE, (as well as DTs) that will take some of the pressure off of JPP.

Honestly, I think his shoulder is just completely shot to the point where he can't get any power from it anymore, also seems like he never recovered from the injury he sustained from flozel adams' cheap shot some seasons back. Sometimes players are just unable to recover from injuries and that seems to be the case with him. Something just never healed all the way.

Buddy333
12-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Honestly, I think his shoulder is just completely shot to the point where he can't get any power from it anymore, also seems like he never recovered from the injury he sustained from flozel adams' cheap shot some seasons back. Sometimes players are just unable to recover from injuries and that seems to be the case with him. Something just never healed all the way.This.

M00KIE
12-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Was listening to the kickoff show on the home page...Both Dracula and Anita claimed he's had alot more injury problems than we know this year. But even if that is the case, he's become broken down and is likely done anyways. I can't see the upside of him being here next year.

PennState1
12-26-2012, 02:31 PM
L
can only imagine football is very tough sport if yuor head and heart are into it 110%.IMO thats what separates players. Overall they are all talented it just depends on who wants it more and who has the most fire.....1000%! Talent doesn't disappear, effort, heart and will to win does

tcseacliff
12-26-2012, 02:40 PM
As much as we love tuck and his brand of play and leadership, don't see any of that on the field. don't know how he is in the locker room with the squad, but
his on field personna and good football seems non existent. I don't picture TC or Eli, or JPP ignoring this but it does not seem to be getting resolved, i say bench him for Tracy, and Ojomo. maybe that would help us get to the play offs , deal with his problems later!

Sarcasman
12-26-2012, 02:47 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/tough-roster-decisions-await-giants-offseason-article-1.1227331

Excerpt: "Tuck is a warrior and a two-time Super Bowl champion who, not insignificantly, played tremendous during both title runs. However, injuries and time have taken their toll and, by any measure, he’s simply not the player he was.

He had just five sacks last year, during a personally difficult season, before revitalizing himself for the playoffs. This season he’s dipped to three and he’s no longer a pass-rushing force. Worse, he’ll be 30 next season and due $4.5 million in salary.

That’s not a ton of money and he is a team leader. The Giants also will need defensive ends with Osi Umenyiora almost certain to go elsewhere as a free agent. But the hard question has to be asked: What does Tuck have left? And what is it worth?" Read more...

Was the original post written in 2010? If not................

RoanokeFan
12-26-2012, 03:59 PM

He did, after acknowledging he needed to get his head straight.

RoanokeFan
12-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Was the original post written in 2010? If not................

It's the writer's opinion

tcseacliff
12-26-2012, 04:00 PM
when did he say he would be back...? what year..??

Sarcasman
12-26-2012, 04:17 PM
It's the writer's opinion

Damn.