PDA

View Full Version : Hard To Find A Giant Who Had An Up Year

RoanokeFan
12-26-2012, 06:50 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...Umnv6TXIFCIWLM (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/hard_to_find_giant_who_had_an_up_fGWbNNzuUmnv6TXIF CIWLM)

Excerpt: "Even in bad seasons, there are good players. Even when expectations are not met, there are those who rise above the expectations. A study of the Giants’ roster, though, reveals why they are about to be on the outside looking in come playoff time, why a year after ringing in the holiday season so joyously someone spiked their eggnog with castor oil, why they have regressed to the point they aren’t merely losing, they are barely competitive.

Every team has a Most Valuable Player, but a search party is required to find that player on this team. Sure, Stevie Brown and his seven interceptions is the greatest surprise of the season but he’s not exactly a coverage monster. He probably earned himself a contract for 2013, but if he’s the player who made the most positive impact, something, in the words of former Giants coach Dan Reeves, is bad-wrong.

Find the player who rose out of the rubble. Consider it a dare. Eli Manning was being hailed in some circles as an NFL MVP candidate in the first half of the season, but even then it was a serious stretch and he’s put together some god-awful performances when it counted most. We all know Eli is worth more than his numbers, but when you’re ranked 17th among all quarterbacks in the league in passer rating, just behind Carson Palmer and just ahead of Sam Bradford, you haven’t had much of a season.

Where else can we look on offense? Victor Cruz proved his breakout 2011 season was no fluke, as he’s matched his output in terms of receptions (82) and touchdowns (nine), but his yards per catch of 12.7 yards is way down from his gaudy 18.7 yard mark. Cruz has been tough and remarkably durable, making a statement he deserves to be here for the long haul and he’s probably the closest there is to a team MVP. Still, no “wow’’ factor." Read more...

Buddy333
12-26-2012, 07:15 AM
Prince.

RoanokeFan
12-26-2012, 07:19 AM
Prince.

Stevie Brown and YES, he needs to get better, but he has a real nose for the ball. Will Beatty had a pretty good season I think. Hynoski, Bennett, maybe Linval Joseph

GMENAGAIN
12-26-2012, 07:22 AM
Stevie Brown and YES, he needs to get better, but he has a real nose for the ball. Will Beatty had a pretty good season I think. Hynoski, Bennett, maybe Linval Joseph

I admittedly don't focus on Linval Joseph very much during games, but it seems to me that he generates zero pressure up the middle on passing downs and does nothing to stop teams from running right up the middle on us. He is highly overrated IMO . . .

RoanokeFan
12-26-2012, 07:23 AM
I admittedly don't focus on Linval Joseph very much during games, but it seems to me that he generates zero pressure up the middle on passing downs and does nothing to stop teams from running right up the middle on us. He is highly overrated IMO . . .

I believe the interior line, Joseph and Canty, had more pressures than the outside guys.

C1010
12-26-2012, 07:26 AM
Prince jumps right out to me even though he was hurt. Stevie Brown surprised the entire league. I think Bennett worked out very well for us. Also, Hynoski looked great in his second year, in fact I think he should be a pro bowler.

RoanokeFan
12-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Prince jumps right out to me even though he was hurt. Stevie Brown surprised the entire league. I think Bennett worked out very well for us. Also, Hynoski looked great in his second year, in fact I think he should be a pro bowler.

Hynoski just does his job and, on this team, THAT is something

jomo
12-26-2012, 07:34 AM
As far as having real "up" years I can only think of Prince and Stevie Brown.

Flip Empty
12-26-2012, 08:23 AM
David Wilson did a great job running back kicks. He set the Giants' field goal drives up nicely.

jomo
12-26-2012, 08:29 AM
David Wilson did a great job running back kicks. He set the Giants' field goal drives up nicely.Yes he did.

RoanokeFan
12-26-2012, 08:32 AM
David Wilson did a great job running back kicks. He set the Giants' field goal drives up nicely.

True enough

Rudyy
12-26-2012, 08:44 AM
David Wilson did a great job running back kicks. He set the Giants' field goal drives up nicely.lol so true.