PDA

View Full Version : Going Forward

Red Dog
12-26-2012, 09:22 AM
in the playoffs, or not, this year, Coughlin needs to think change in some of the coaches as well as players. Football is a coaches game of planning, organization, leadership, and control, and motivation (to buy in). Those are the same characteristics for successful lmanagement in business as well.

Start with defense: Injuries sure, but it seems the players never bought into Fewell as they did Spags.I think Fewell planned and organized, but forgot "highest and best use" of assets. Fewell implemented some weird schemes using star players. that did not employ the highest and best use of their talents.A player who has had great success at what he is doing suddenly has his role changed is not a happy player, and apt to get "mentally tired." Fewell's leadership, especially on sidelines during game, was invisible. At times the defense appeared totally disorganized, almost unaware of what to do next, especially against RGIII.Man did we look awful during that game. But, the players on defense bear a lot of responsibilty also. Unmotivated, tired looking, flashes (only) of what once was, perhaps "mentally drained" but definietly unemotional. Fewell may be a great D coach, but I think a rebuild of the D is a must and that needs to include a new coach, some new (younger-hungry) players, and a new mind-set toward what the D should be, simliar to whathappened when Spags took over.

The offenses inability this season during key games was, and is yet, alarming. The receivers, the last half, could not get separation, second string (Hagen) came on, but Nicks' injuries, and Cruz's new found fame distracting to his efforts on the field. TE position was adequate but not where it should be in the current offensive schemes of the league. How to kill a rookie was n play this year as well. Whose fault is Wilson?His? Or coaching? Even Manningham learned thr system, but Wilson may wind up in Canada with Tebow if another season like this one takes place. 3 rookie QB's outshined a supposedly mature, pro-bowl, super bowl, veteran who constantly wears a look of disbelief, bewilderment, or "Duh" take your choice, and who still after 8 years makes some really dumb throws. The big 3 Eli, Ben, and Rivers, not a great year, is their type game and playing time over?

Upgrading positions especially offensive line as we all agree is mandatory, but watching the Giants every week I've learned the offense's playbook and can call the play half the time before the ball is snapped and I'm no football coach or expert. And Gilbride and Eli both have to stop throwing the end-zone corner fade "Plaxico Burress specialty pass" as we all know when in the red zone on first down that's what is called. A great play but we ain't got no Plaxico on this team anymore, it's not there with these receivers, and Gilbride has to stop playing for the field goal instead of TD's. I reached the point where I won't defend either of these two coaches any longer. I firmly believe Coughlin has to make a change in the OC position and the DC position, and those two changes should be immediate at the close of the seasaon and new quickly brought on board to evaluate and draft and for FA season to replace select players currently on roster. Some being players I like, and hate to see go becauseof two SB's and many thrills, but still, it's "bidness"
IN sales there is a "bottom up" move. Get rid of the bottom performers, replace with new for less without a loss in production but upside for increasing production. Long read, but just sayin'.

Buddy333
12-26-2012, 09:41 AM
The coaches are fine. They need players. The OL is in need of a major overhaul followed by DL. They have a great GM so they can get it one BUT it could take a year or two.

RoanokeFan
12-26-2012, 09:44 AM
The coaches are fine. They need players. The OL is in need of a major overhaul followed by DL. They have a great GM so they can get it one BUT it could take a year or two.

As with everything else, it's a team issue. As soon as the season is over, TC will meet with Reese and Mara to critique every player and coach. Then they will set in motion an action plan for next season.

Morehead State
12-26-2012, 09:46 AM
in the playoffs, or not, this year, Coughlin needs to think change in some of the coaches as well as players. Football is a coaches game of planning, organization, leadership, and control, and motivation (to buy in). Those are the same characteristics for successful lmanagement in business as well.

Start with defense: Injuries sure, but it seems the players never bought into Fewell as they did Spags.I think Fewell planned and organized, but forgot "highest and best use" of assets. Fewell implemented some weird schemes using star players. that did not employ the highest and best use of their talents.A player who has had great success at what he is doing suddenly has his role changed is not a happy player, and apt to get "mentally tired." Fewell's leadership, especially on sidelines during game, was invisible. At times the defense appeared totally disorganized, almost unaware of what to do next, especially against RGIII.Man did we look awful during that game. But, the players on defense bear a lot of responsibilty also. Unmotivated, tired looking, flashes (only) of what once was, perhaps "mentally drained" but definietly unemotional. Fewell may be a great D coach, but I think a rebuild of the D is a must and that needs to include a new coach, some new (younger-hungry) players, and a new mind-set toward what the D should be, simliar to whathappened when Spags took over.

The offenses inability this season during key games was, and is yet, alarming. The receivers, the last half, could not get separation, second string (Hagen) came on, but Nicks' injuries, and Cruz's new found fame distracting to his efforts on the field. TE position was adequate but not where it should be in the current offensive schemes of the league. How to kill a rookie was n play this year as well. Whose fault is Wilson?His? Or coaching? Even Manningham learned thr system, but Wilson may wind up in Canada with Tebow if another season like this one takes place. 3 rookie QB's outshined a supposedly mature, pro-bowl, super bowl, veteran who constantly wears a look of disbelief, bewilderment, or "Duh" take your choice, and who still after 8 years makes some really dumb throws. The big 3 Eli, Ben, and Rivers, not a great year, is their type game and playing time over?

Upgrading positions especially offensive line as we all agree is mandatory, but watching the Giants every week I've learned the offense's playbook and can call the play half the time before the ball is snapped and I'm no football coach or expert. And Gilbride and Eli both have to stop throwing the end-zone corner fade "Plaxico Burress specialty pass" as we all know when in the red zone on first down that's what is called. A great play but we ain't got no Plaxico on this team anymore, it's not there with these receivers, and Gilbride has to stop playing for the field goal instead of TD's. I reached the point where I won't defend either of these two coaches any longer. I firmly believe Coughlin has to make a change in the OC position and the DC position, and those two changes should be immediate at the close of the seasaon and new quickly brought on board to evaluate and draft and for FA season to replace select players currently on roster. Some being players I like, and hate to see go becauseof two SB's and many thrills, but still, it's "bidness"
IN sales there is a "bottom up" move. Get rid of the bottom performers, replace with new for less without a loss in production but upside for increasing production. Long read, but just sayin'.
I have a problem with all this "Fewell sucks" stuff.
It seems to me that PF's defense is predicated on the exact same thing that Spags was.....and that's a solid pass rush. With a solid pass rush, both defenses work well, as we have seen. Both scheme's were SB winners because in both SB runs, we were getting after the QB.
The one reason I like Fewell's system slightly better is that it keeps the secondary facing the QB. And in today's NFL with more and more mobile QB's, that's an important factor.
But ultimately, its about the pass rush for us. Spags, Fewell or anyone else. Its really what won us 2 SB's.

Rudyy
12-26-2012, 09:48 AM
I have a problem with all this "Fewell sucks" stuff.It seems to me that PF's defense is predicated on the exact same thing that Spags was.....and that's a solid pass rush. With a solid pass rush, both defenses work well, as we have seen. Both scheme's were SB winners because in both SB runs, we were getting after the QB.The one reason I like Fewell's system slightly better is that it keeps the secondary facing the QB. And in today's NFL with more and more mobile QB's, that's an important factor.But ultimately, its about the pass rush for us. Spags, Fewell or anyone else. Its really what won us 2 SB's.But that only works if we have a pass rush.

Morehead State
12-26-2012, 09:50 AM
But that only works if we have a pass rush.
Didn't I just say that?

GameTime
12-26-2012, 09:51 AM

I odnt know so much if the coaches are "fine". A fresh approach would be nice. Of course I realize it could be worse but it could be better as well.
This year they had no answers because they didnt even know where the problems were it seems.

RoanokeFan
12-26-2012, 09:52 AM
I have a problem with all this "Fewell sucks" stuff.
It seems to me that PF's defense is predicated on the exact same thing that Spags was.....and that's a solid pass rush. With a solid pass rush, both defenses work well, as we have seen. Both scheme's were SB winners because in both SB runs, we were getting after the QB.
The one reason I like Fewell's system slightly better is that it keeps the secondary facing the QB. And in today's NFL with more and more mobile QB's, that's an important factor.
But ultimately, its about the pass rush for us. Spags, Fewell or anyone else. Its really what won us 2 SB's.

The lack of a pass rush can be attributed to Tuck and Osi for the most part. It's still hard to imagine both of them being so far off their game at the same time. Osi isn't that much of a surprise except he's been auditioning for a job somewhere in the NFL.

Kez Simpson
But that only works if we have a pass rush.

Our Defense philosophy always has relied on a pass rush. Before Fewell, Spags, etc, its not gonna change. People are blaming Fewell for lack of pass rush, and that unfair.

RoanokeFan
I odnt know so much if the coaches are "fine". A fresh approach would be nice. Of course I realize it could be worse but it could be better as well.
This year they had no answers because they didnt even know where the problems were it seems.

Can you imagine this place if we had the Eagles' record?

Rudyy
12-26-2012, 09:53 AM
Didn't I just say that?Re-read it, and you did. Sorries

Buddy333
12-26-2012, 09:54 AM
The lack of a pass rush can be attributed to Tuck and Osi for the most part. It's still hard to imagine both of them being so far off their game at the same time. Osi isn't that much of a surprise except he's been auditioning for a job somewhere in the NFL.Even harder to imagine the counting on them for next year.

GameTime
12-26-2012, 09:54 AM

ahh.....you are right. I am jadded fan at times. But overall I realize this org is top notch and has given me 4 SBs during my time as a fan....
cant complain overall...

Kez Simpson
12-26-2012, 09:57 AM

Is Hell a good description?

Morehead State
12-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Ultimately, the success of our team in the TC era has been directly dependent on the pass rush. We made 2 great playoff runs because we made opposing QB's uncomfortable. Its not about helmet catches, its not about Wes Welker, its not about MM's great catch. Thats why we won all those playoff games with pretty average offensive output. We put Tom Brady on his *** 19 times. We had Romo yelling at his O lineman. We had Alex Smith dumping balls off as soon as he was pressured.
We win when we get after the QB. We lose when we don't. Perry Fewell, Spags....those schemes all depend on that.

Morehead State
12-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Re-read it, and you did. Sorries
Isn't it nice to agree with Morehead?
You know it is.

RoanokeFan
12-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Is Hell a good description?

Beyond hell lol

RoanokeFan
12-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Ultimately, the success of our team in the TC era has been directly dependent on the pass rush. We made 2 great playoff runs because we made opposing QB's uncomfortable. Its not about helmet catches, its not about Wes Welker, its not about MM's great catch. Thats why we won all those playoff games with pretty average offensive output. We put Tom Brady on his *** 19 times. We had Romo yelling at his O lineman. We had Alex Smith dumping balls off as soon as he was pressured.
We win when we get after the QB. We lose when we don't. Perry Fewell, Spags....those schemes all depend on that.

That's a pretty accurate description of the problem on defense.

Rudyy
12-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Isn't it nice to agree with Morehead?You know it is.When Morehead is logical, yes :D

Kez Simpson
12-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Beyond hell lol

True, we go to Hell win or lose around here, so I guess yours is better.

Morehead State
12-26-2012, 10:06 AM
When Morehead is logical, yes :D
I'm always logical. You may disagree, but my views are based on logic.
When we argue the facts, its much more enjoyable.

DandyDon
12-26-2012, 10:08 AM

Very true. An added factor is critical injuries to our secondary (that seem to happen EVERY YEAR recently) make that pass rush even more important. Without it we get lit up. Like we did many games this season.