PDA

View Full Version : Why Perry Fewell was signed

VBGiantsFan
12-26-2012, 10:09 AM
He was signed as the DC because while with the Bills, their secondary was ranked 7th in the league. He was also known as a players coach. Fewell was NEVER knowns as a defensive guru or for creating complex schemes to beat great teams. He came from Buffalo for crying out loud!

Now, our secondary looks worse than ever and our defense is worse than we've been in a long time. Without a pass rush, something he has no real affect on and doesn't call plays to help, our secondary looks pathetic.

I can't think of an arguement to be made to keep him after this season.

Buddy333
12-26-2012, 10:11 AM
So how is it his fault that two DE's and his starting CB got bad almost over night?

VBGiantsFan
12-26-2012, 10:13 AM
So how is it his fault that two DE's and his starting CB got bad almost over night?

Our secondary was bad last season too. Our pass rush (JPP) just got hot towards the end of the season. The writing was on the wall that our secondary has not improvements under Fewell. This defensive collapse is no surprise.

dezzzR
12-26-2012, 10:15 AM
So how is it his fault that two DE's and his starting CB got bad almost over night?The secondary has been poor since hes been here.

Tmurda1984
12-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Fewell had a longer resume than a linebacker coach named "Sprags". Sprags got a ton of credit being under the late Jim Johnson and coming to the Giants where they had some of the best defensive linemen I ever seen. Sprags was giving up 40 points a game until Strahan got back in game shape, benching Webster (because we had adequate depth), and having that one game that spark them (the redskins goalline stand). People act as if that 2007 defense was the 1985 Bears....Lol it wasnt even close. We began to play better as well when Kiwi got hurt as a Linebacker, and then Osi got hurt forcing Kiwi back to the defensive End in 2008. Sprags never had to rely on Kiwi playing cover while ever other coordinatoor had to worry about that. I bet its Fewell's first time playing with a 6'6 270lb Defensive End as Linebacker.

Antone78
12-26-2012, 10:17 AM
I remember reading an article when he was hire about how he plays a style of defense that creates turnovers. We have had more interceptions these past few years with Fewell than we did in the prior years. Still, I would like a new defensive coord. If there is any way we could get Spags, I would be all for it

Buddy333
12-26-2012, 10:18 AM
So is that him or the players?

dezzzR
12-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Fewell had a longer resume than a linebacker coach named "Sprags". Sprags got a ton of credit being under the late Jim Johnson and coming to the Giants where they had some of the best defensive linemen I ever seen. Sprags was giving up 40 points a game until Strahan got back in game shape, benching Webster (because we had adequate depth), and having that one game that spark them (the redskins goalline stand). People act as if that 2007 defense was the 1985 Bears....Lol it wasnt even close. We began to play better as well when Kiwi got hurt as a Linebacker, and then Osi got hurt forcing Kiwi back to the defensive End in 2008. Sprags never had to rely on Kiwi playing cover while ever other coordinatoor had to worry about that. I bet its Fewell's first time playing with a 6'6 270lb Defensive End as Linebacker.Any reason why you call him Sprags? Yes he did. Kiwi hasnt been playing much linebacker since Rivers and Williams is back and the defense is just as terrible. Fewell likes running nickle anyway so Kiwi isnt in coverage as much as he was under Spags. End of 07 and 08, we had a dominate defense.

VBGiantsFan
12-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Fewell had a longer resume than a linebacker coach named "Sprags". Sprags got a ton of credit being under the late Jim Johnson and coming to the Giants where they had some of the best defensive linemen I ever seen. Sprags was giving up 40 points a game until Strahan got back in game shape, benching Webster (because we had adequate depth), and having that one game that spark them (the redskins goalline stand). People act as if that 2007 defense was the 1985 Bears....Lol it wasnt even close. We began to play better as well when Kiwi got hurt as a Linebacker, and then Osi got hurt forcing Kiwi back to the defensive End in 2008. Sprags never had to rely on Kiwi playing cover while ever other coordinatoor had to worry about that. I bet its Fewell's first time playing with a 6'6 270lb Defensive End as Linebacker.

"Spags" (not Sprags) worked for years under Jim Johnson, one of the most respected DCs in the game. He picked up all of his blitz schemes and was able to utilize the Giants mediocre LBs more effectively than they had been used since Jessie Armstead. Don't forget a guy named Kawika Mitchell was nothing more than a utility LB who had a career year with Spags and get a huge paycheck from another team where he never produced agin. He was able to confuse QBs. He also played his team to their strengths, a la Webster in press instead of zone. His motto was not "read and react" but to "attack" and force the offense to adjust to him.

If you want to compare Spags and Fewell, let me as you:

What great DC did Fewell learn from? Spags = Jim Johnson

What position has Fewell's schemes improved their play? Spags = Linebackers

In fact, if you want to compare secondary talent, Spags didn't have near the talent at safety Fewell has. Last year Webster played well and still our secondary was crap. In fact, Spags had Webster and Ross and no talent at safety.

There is no comparison between the two coaches IMO.

nycisgreat
12-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Our secondary was bad last season too. Our pass rush (JPP) just got hot towards the end of the season. The writing was on the wall that our secondary has not improvements under Fewell. This defensive collapse is no surprise.

Its funny how winning the SB last season have people forgetting how horrible our defense was for much of last year. I think our defense and special was just as bad in 2010 when the packers won the SB. 2010 and 2012 finished exactly the same way with pretty much the same core players and coaches.

giantscolombia
12-26-2012, 03:00 PM
"Spags" (not Sprags) worked for years under Jim Johnson, one of the most respected DCs in the game. He picked up all of his blitz schemes and was able to utilize the Giants mediocre LBs more effectively than they had been used since Jessie Armstead. Don't forget a guy named Kawika Mitchell was nothing more than a utility LB who had a career year with Spags and get a huge paycheck from another team where he never produced agin. He was able to confuse QBs. He also played his team to their strengths, a la Webster in press instead of zone. His motto was not "read and react" but to "attack" and force the offense to adjust to him.

If you want to compare Spags and Fewell, let me as you:

What great DC did Fewell learn from? Spags = Jim Johnson

What position has Fewell's schemes improved their play? Spags = Linebackers

In fact, if you want to compare secondary talent, Spags didn't have near the talent at safety Fewell has. Last year Webster played well and still our secondary was crap. In fact, Spags had Webster and Ross and no talent at safety.

There is no comparison between the two coaches IMO.

+1

ps.

Slayeeeed! hahahah "sprags" what??!

Banks_Reasons_Carson_LT
12-26-2012, 05:19 PM
He was TCs secondary coach in Jacksonville....must have licked him the right way

I Bleed Blue 56
12-26-2012, 06:23 PM
So how is it his fault that two DE's and his starting CB got bad almost over night? Are you joking Webster got beat like he stole something aginst Ogletree in week 1. Hes our defensive coordinator he knew Webster was off amd did nothing to hide his horrible play but leave him single coverage all season. Fewell is pretty much donw here in NY and if hes not dont expect better results next year.

53canton
12-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Spags would be great. Isnt Romeo a defensive guy too? I dont see TC dumping Fewell though. Maybe Fewell will get a few head coaching opportunities, and leave!

jomo
12-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Bring in Spags as a pre-cursor to making him HC.

Buddy333
12-26-2012, 06:48 PM
You guys realize that the Saints defense is ranked below the Giants right?

Fan For 45 yrs
12-26-2012, 07:06 PM
I think this exact conversation took place after the giants won the superbowl in 2008. Groom spags to become HC after TC rides into the sunset

dakotajoe
12-26-2012, 07:32 PM
I'm not ready to throw Fewell under the bus. When I watch other teams on defense I'm amazed by the level of physical talent they have compared to the Giants. Half of our defense are barely more athletic than certain players on a Division II collegiate teams.

sc_markt
12-26-2012, 07:47 PM

I don't like bashing Fewell after we got a superbowl under him but I just haven't seen any second half adjustments under him like I did under Spags. To me, a good DC should make adjustments in the second half or sooner if possible. I just haven't seen this with Fewell.

giantsfan420
12-26-2012, 08:07 PM
I think winning the sb clouded our perspective of the d. I know i was thinking of the d as the unit from the playoffs and not the unit from the reg season...but this topic is tough to assess bc in 2010, the d was pretty damn good. I guess the core players from that yr got old or lost some ability since then. This d doesnt play with heart anymore imo. Thatd be the one thing id attribute the d play too. Annd i think tuck has a HUGE part in that

ukgiantstyke
12-27-2012, 04:18 AM
Spags sets a gameplan in place and then adjusts as neccessary....PF does not...once the gameplan is in and doesnt work, game over... its as if PF kind of gets lucky if their offence suits our defense...

Long 3rd downs, PF's plan is to hope they have an incompletion through their mistakes, not through our pressure and coverage, the amount of completions on long 3rd downs by the opposition is truly frightening, from the best team in the league to the worst, they all complete....

I remember clearly spags adjustments on the play off run to the superbowl, first quarter they would drive and score, spags would adjust, quieten down their strengths and force them to do what they didnt want to do, he shut down their game plan and imposed the giants strengths...

Oh and there is much more talent here than N.O. in general, its just not being harnessed properly

ashleymarie
12-27-2012, 05:42 AM
Bring in Spags as a pre-cursor to making him HC.

This. 1000 times.

nycsportzfan
12-27-2012, 06:55 AM
Mike Singeltary please!

OX1
12-27-2012, 04:47 PM
I'm not ready to throw Fewell under the bus. When I watch other teams on defense I'm amazed by the level of physical talent they have compared to the Giants. Half of our defense are barely more athletic than certain players on a Division II collegiate teams.

I give Fewell more of pass than GB. Our secondary talent approaches the worst in the league.
Unlike killdrive, Fewell did attempt many looks this year (most didn't work anyway), but he barely
had the personnel to do much before the D-line got injured/gave up, let alone after.

The one thing I will beat up Fewell for is lack of misdirection/confusion portrayed at/near the line.
Blitzes were obvious, rarely sent the house (so it could not be faked, since it never showed up on film),
and most plays you have a 4 guys on the line and you get a 4 man rush.

That and the ******ed 3 man rush.

JJC7301
12-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Absolutley true. They kept talking about what a fiery guy he was, and how his secondary was very good at Buffalo.

Still, this D performed very well in the last 6 games of the season last year when it mattered. And I'm not going to not give Fewell credit for any of that. I'm not a Fewell guy, but I'm willing to give him one more year. It's time to clean house in that D and I'm talking about the players. I won't complain either, however, if Fewell gets swept out as well.

JJC7301
12-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Spags sets a gameplan in place and then adjusts as neccessary....PF does not...once the gameplan is in and doesnt work, game over... its as if PF kind of gets lucky if their offence suits our defense...

Long 3rd downs, PF's plan is to hope they have an incompletion through their mistakes, not through our pressure and coverage, the amount of completions on long 3rd downs by the opposition is truly frightening, from the best team in the league to the worst, they all complete....

I remember clearly spags adjustments on the play off run to the superbowl, first quarter they would drive and score, spags would adjust, quieten down their strengths and force them to do what they didnt want to do, he shut down their game plan and imposed the giants strengths...

Oh and there is much more talent here than N.O. in general, its just not being harnessed properly
PLEASE bring Spags back. I'm not knocking Fewell, but it does boggle my mind when some on these boards feel that Fewell was ever a better DC than Sapgs. I give Fewell credit for last year, but you could just see the difference between the '06 and '11 defenses even though it was much of the same personnel. Spags was ALWAYS making good adjustments, unlike Fewell.

jomo
12-27-2012, 05:46 PM
PLEASE bring Spags back. I'm not knocking Fewell, but it does boggle my mind when some on these boards feel that Fewell was ever a better DC than Sapgs. I give Fewell credit for last year, but you could just see the difference between the '06 and '11 defenses even though it was much of the same personnel. Spags was ALWAYS making good adjustments, unlike Fewell.Mid game adjustments were one of Spags greatest strengths and are one of Fewells greatest weaknesses. He is slow on the uptake in game. That may be why he wanted to be up in the booth on Sundays?? .......a little less hectic up there with space to think??

BlueBlooded1979
12-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Fewell refuses to tweak his system to talents of the players. Corey Webster was a bad CB from 2005 until 2007 when Spags let him get physical with WR at the line. Even now when they are in press they don't jam the WR.

Fewell has zero feel for when to call a blitz. Even teams that beat the blitz need to see 7 or 8 guys coming once in a while to keep them honest with their protections.

Fewell doesn't have a good rotation. JPP is on the field all of the time while Tuck and Osi take turns at being ineffective. Kiwi is thrown in for good measure occasionally. The development of the DT position has been terrible.

Fewell is putting too much emphasis on stripping the ball. How many tackles have these jokers missed trying to strip the ball instead of securing the tackle ?

Comparing Spags to Fewell is like comparing Walsh to Seifert. Anyone can win with the right talent but Spags really showed them how good they could be.

Cloud57
12-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Fewell refuses to tweak his system to talents of the players. Corey Webster was a bad CB from 2005 until 2007 when Spags let him get physical with WR at the line. Even now when they are in press they don't jam the WR.

Fewell has zero feel for when to call a blitz. Even teams that beat the blitz need to see 7 or 8 guys coming once in a while to keep them honest with their protections.

Fewell doesn't have a good rotation. JPP is on the field all of the time while Tuck and Osi take turns at being ineffective. Kiwi is thrown in for good measure occasionally. The development of the DT position has been terrible.

Fewell is putting too much emphasis on stripping the ball. How many tackles have these jokers missed trying to strip the ball instead of securing the tackle ?

Comparing Spags to Fewell is like comparing Walsh to Seifert. Anyone can win with the right talent but Spags really showed them how good they could be.

I agree with you, it seems that in the beginning of the season when this defense was getting interceptions he altered the entire defense especially the secondary to place them in positions to get interceptions. This only work sometimes and only against some teams.