PDA

View Full Version : Lets look objectively at where we need to go for next season.

EVGiant17
12-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Am I upset that we aren't making the post-season? Sure but we are just another in a long line of Super Bowl defending champs to miss the next years playoffs. It happens after the high of winning it all and we need to bounce back next year.

What does concern me though is we have some glaring weakness and none more glaring than our defensive line.

We won Superbowls on the backs of our sack masters. A great defensive line (which we have previously had) makes average cornerbacks look great (see Corey Webster) and can make great QBs look mediocre (See Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers).

They have allowed us to stay in close games in the past where Eli could then do what he does best, win last minute drives.

This season that has changed drastically. We currently sitting middle of the pack at 19 with 32 sacks. It isn't just sacks either, its QB pressures, knock downs etcs. How many times this season have you watched entire games where we got 0 pressure? We need to work on getting the most out of the Dline next year and we need to improve our corner play. We've got 4 safeties ranging from solid to great. We've got linebackers who are passable in the NFL. But with our highly paid unproductive D-line and Corey Webster as our number 1 CB we are in trouble.

On the other side of the ball to me its the O-line that needs an infusion. Eli is an elite QB whether you believe it or not. Our WR's are some of the best in the league (though more consistency would be nice) when they stay healthy. Our RBs are set with Bradshaw, Wilson, and Brown. Martellus Bennet has been a pleasant surprise and honestly TE in our offense is just plug and play. That all being said while our O-line has pass blocked fairly well they have been abysmal at run blocking. FIX IT.

big blue dog
12-26-2012, 11:33 AM
trenchs have some reusable parts and corner help can help turn things around pretty fast eli needs time so oline 1

Mercury
12-26-2012, 12:47 PM
I don't think it's very easy to pin down what is exactly wrong with this team. There's a lot not working right.

I look at it from the top down. Is JR to blame? Yes and no. We all see the difficiencies in our Oline and know it needs an infusion of talent. JR has been patching it for years, and not giving it the attention it really needs. But I think JR overall has done a fantastic job. Anyone calling for his head is completely irrational.

Is it the coaches? Lots of people finding fault here with the coachs' schemes, lack of adjustments, not playing rookies, etc. Yet, TC and KG have won two SBs, PF one. Easy to find blame with them, but is it really where you start fixing things? Personally, I think you keep TC and KG, in doing so, taking the good with the bad, knowing that the good outweighs the bad.

However, I'm really tired of watching bad defense. I've read lots of complaints here about the "bend over and take it" defense. But is the bad defense PF's fault? I don't think any of us expected our Dline to have such a drop off in production. I doubt PF expected it either. And how many threads have we all read saying that we need to "blitz more" as a solution? Sorry, but when we've blitzed, we've been burned. Guys don't get there and the pass is usually completed.

The fact is PF's defense works when you can get pressure with the Dline. However, most any defense would work if you can get pressure bringing only four players, so long as the back seven aren't totally incompetent.

None-the-less, I don't like the defensive scheme. Too much emphasis on creating turnovers and not enough of tackling and swarming to the ball, taking good angles, etc. And so, I'd much rather see a new DC to bring a fresh start to the defense and hopefully invigorate the players who have turned in a sub-par performance this year.

And then there are the players who didn't get it done this year. Tuck jumps into everyone's mind as the first target. But we don't know the whole story, the behind the scene story. Something is wrong with Tuck. Whatever it is, needs to be addressed, because we need a DE opposite JPP, not a ghost.
Fortunately, I am sure JR knows what's going on and will address it in the offseason, one way or another.

I trust JR. I don't think he will overpay anyone after this subpar season. I think JR knows the Oline needs to be addressed early in the draft.

Buddy333
12-26-2012, 12:50 PM
They have to get the offense fixed. Te defense needs work but this league is geared for offense and while other teams score points this team kicks field goals and goes 3 and out.

jomo
12-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Both trenches need considerable work, perhaps 2 new starters on both sides and improved depth. The OL is years overdue in this regard. It came around to hurt us badly this year. Other than those two areas I'd treat the off season personnel moves like any other year.

giantsfan420
12-26-2012, 12:52 PM
They have to get the defense fixed. With all the offences in today's game you have to have a defense that can get stops otherwise your offense is always behind the 8 ball the defense absolutely needs to improve so our offense doesn't have to compensate for them

gumby74
12-26-2012, 01:01 PM
I think we take a step back for a couple years, then come back re-tooled and ready. We need to time to rebuild an offensive line. I won't be surprised if we miss the playoffs again next year also. JR will get it done right.

giantsforce
12-26-2012, 01:08 PM
I don't think it's very easy to pin down what is exactly wrong with this team. There's a lot not working right.

I look at it from the top down. Is JR to blame? Yes and no. We all see the difficiencies in our Oline and know it needs an infusion of talent. JR has been patching it for years, and not giving it the attention it really needs. But I think JR overall has done a fantastic job. Anyone calling for his head is completely irrational.

Is it the coaches? Lots of people finding fault here with the coachs' schemes, lack of adjustments, not playing rookies, etc. Yet, TC and KG have won two SBs, PF one. Easy to find blame with them, but is it really where you start fixing things? Personally, I think you keep TC and KG, in doing so, taking the good with the bad, knowing that the good outweighs the bad.

However, I'm really tired of watching bad defense. I've read lots of complaints here about the "bend over and take it" defense. But is the bad defense PF's fault? I don't think any of us expected our Dline to have such a drop off in production. I doubt PF expected it either. And how many threads have we all read saying that we need to "blitz more" as a solution? Sorry, but when we've blitzed, we've been burned. Guys don't get there and the pass is usually completed.

The fact is PF's defense works when you can get pressure with the Dline. However, most any defense would work if you can get pressure bringing only four players, so long as the back seven aren't totally incompetent.

None-the-less, I don't like the defensive scheme. Too much emphasis on creating turnovers and not enough of tackling and swarming to the ball, taking good angles, etc. And so, I'd much rather see a new DC to bring a fresh start to the defense and hopefully invigorate the players who have turned in a sub-par performance this year.

And then there are the players who didn't get it done this year. Tuck jumps into everyone's mind as the first target. But we don't know the whole story, the behind the scene story. Something is wrong with Tuck. Whatever it is, needs to be addressed, because we need a DE opposite JPP, not a ghost.
Fortunately, I am sure JR knows what's going on and will address it in the offseason, one way or another.

I trust JR. I don't think he will overpay anyone after this subpar season. I think JR knows the Oline needs to be addressed early in the draft.Let me make it simple for you. It all about leadership or the lack thereof. Leadership by the coaching staff and leadership by the players. The Giants have none. You need to fix your leadership issues, so they can fix the rest of them.

Giantslb66
12-26-2012, 01:08 PM
We need new LBs they are slow and not athletics enough. passable gets you 8-8. A new OL would help too, these guys are getting pushed around instead of doing the pushing. New coordinators as well.

Buddy333
12-26-2012, 01:15 PM
I think we take a step back for a couple years, then come back re-tooled and ready. We need to time to rebuild an offensive line. I won't be surprised if we miss the playoffs again next year also. JR will get it done right.Yeah. Not bashing Eli, but for what they pay him this offense needs to score a lot more TD's and not have so many 3 and outs. They have to score TD's in the red zone. Can't just hope for those long plays all year.

gumby74
12-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Yeah. Not bashing Eli, but for what they pay him this offense needs to score a lot more TD's and not have so many 3 and outs. They have to score TD's in the red zone. Can't just hope for those long plays all year.

I hate relying on big plays all the time, but if they want to play that way, we need a rock solid o-line to give Eli time. We need to choose one side of the ball to spend the majority of our money. We can't choose both. I think we'll probably end up doing what other teams with good QBs do - build around their QB on offenese and invest in a couple core impact players on defense and band aid the rest.

EVGiant17
12-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Yeah. Not bashing Eli, but for what they pay him this offense needs to score a lot more TD's and not have so many 3 and outs. They have to score TD's in the red zone. Can't just hope for those long plays all year.

But that is a new thing that came up in the 2nd half of this season. Didn't happen last year and not when we were 6-2 this year. So I will say that it is the exception not the rule.

Mercury
12-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Let me make it simple for you. It all about leadership or the lack thereof. Leadership by the coaching staff and leadership by the players. The Giants have none. You need to fix your leadership issues, so they can fix the rest of them.

I definitely agree with leadership being a problem among the players, however, I disagree about the coaches. And I further disagree with you in that that is just one of the many problems on this team. Fixing leadership issues isn't going to solve all our problems, such as lack of talent in some positions, aging players, etc.

Buddy333
12-26-2012, 02:20 PM
I hate relying on big plays all the time, but if they want to play that way, we need a rock solid o-line to give Eli time. We need to choose one side of the ball to spend the majority of our money. We can't choose both. I think we'll probably end up doing what other teams with good QBs do - build around their QB on offenese and invest in a couple core impact players on defense and band aid the rest.Agreed. Been saying that while both sides need work they have to much money tied up on the offensive side for them to be that ineffective and if they are going to fix something first it has to be the offense. Specifically the OL.

RoanokeFan
12-26-2012, 03:10 PM
Both trenches need considerable work, perhaps 2 new starters on both sides and improved depth. The OL is years overdue in this regard. It came around to hurt us badly this year. Other than those two areas I'd treat the off season personnel moves like any other year.

I'm counting on Tracy and your nephew for the F Line