PDA

View Full Version : I wish I was the GM of the Giants

Giggles2013
12-26-2012, 12:36 PM
I would make so many of the necessary changes this year. First off fire Fewell and convince Coughlin to change the offensive system (at least try). I don't think either will happen but we'll see. Many veterans are past their prime and need to be released (Diehl, Tuck, Webster, for starters) and this has a better chance of happening but I have a feeling that Coughlin will fight for those guys to stay. I hope that is not the case because this team needs to be re-tooled.

gumby74
12-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Agree. Also agree that we need to re-tool. not re-build.

Giggles2013
12-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Agreed. Most teams in the NFL today aren't that far off. At least we have a two time winning Superbowl QB and Head Coach. That's already more than what most of the league has.

Tmurda1984
12-26-2012, 03:00 PM
You can't just cut veterans like that....this is the same reason our offensive line is struggling. The Giants will not have any breathing room with this cap until Canty, Diehl, and Websters contracts expire. Restructuring it wont work in the long run, cutting them will still give us a penalty due to the high signing bonus included in their contracts, the most realistic idea is to wait, and pray that we draft well and pray that we do not lose talent that deserves the contracts like Victor Cruz. Chris Canty's contract is bogus, and its no way around it...if you think restructuring Canty's contract is smart.....then we are headed for a lot of problems the next year when he's making an annual salary as high as Eli Manning.

BJacobs aka The Problem
12-26-2012, 03:08 PM
My thoughts on how I would go about it, if I was the GM(and thank goodness I'm not, I don't envy Reese with all of this)

Before I would release Webster, I'd try to get him to take a significant pay cut. He's played like crap this season, but he was very friggen good last year. Could just be a confidence or injury thing. It happens. If he takes a pay cut and comes back to last years form, him opposite of Prince is a decent CB tandem. Barring any significant camp bonuses, won't hurt to see how he plays before the next season starts.

Diehl, I would also try force a pay cut. He's lost a step, but could be serviceable depth with the fact that he can play just about any position. He shouldn't start, therefore doesn't deserve starting money, but Oline depth is hard to come by and he already has experience with playing with the line so that helps, if he had to come in the game for a few snaps or make a start or two during an injury.

Tuck is a hard one that I couldn't answer right now out of bias. I'd really have to go back and look at film to see wtf is wrong with him.

Gilbride would be gone. I don't care about his rapport with Eli and I'm sure Eli wouldn't mind finally having a coordinator he wasn't smarter than. Fewell, I have mixed emotions about, but he too would have to go. In the last few years he's been the Giants DC, his defense has ranked among the bottom in at least one, if not multiple statistical categories. His defense have lacked imagination and his adjustments have been lackluster.

The D-line needs a solid defensive tackle because Canty and Austin can't seem to stay healthy. A middle linebacker is a must. Chase has been serviceable, but if Herz hasn't proved he's the future, one needs to be brought in. Hosely needs a little more time, so another CB needs to be brought in. If Webster isn't happy about a pay cut, he needs to be let go. The safety position is a complete enigma right now. KP is hands down the most talented safety we have, but he hasn't been able to stay on the field. Rolle has been our most consistent and versatile safety and Brown seems to have a nose for the ball. If Brown is up for a contract, I'd definitely see what he could be kept for. Hill looks good and should be kept as well. Back to KP though, would really need to evaluate him. His injury concerns are the only thing that puts any negative thoughts on him. Depending on how his contract is worked, it could come down to end of the preseason as to whether the drastic decision of cutting him needs to made.

Offensively, the QB and FB are solid. I'd bring Bennett back and find a coordinator who knows how to use a damn TE correctly. The WR corps would consist of Nicks, Cruz, Hixon(Sign him for another year), Randle and Jernagin. Barden's contract is up and I wouldn't bother keeping him. I'd look at that upcoming FA WR class to see if there's anything worth bringing in for a look and maybe try to find one in the draft. The O-line needs a complete retool, don't even know where I'd begin with this.

That's all I got for right now, lunch break is over.

joemorrisforprez
12-26-2012, 03:11 PM
I would make so many of the necessary changes this year. First off fire Fewell and convince Coughlin to change the offensive system (at least try). I don't think either will happen but we'll see. Many veterans are past their prime and need to be released (Diehl, Tuck, Webster, for starters) and this has a better chance of happening but I have a feeling that Coughlin will fight for those guys to stay. I hope that is not the case because this team needs to be re-tooled.

Coughlin's loyalty to his team is one of the reasons why he won 2 Super Bowls.....guys fight hard for him.

But sometimes, it also can hinder the improvement of the team. I think this team still has heart, but some guys are breaking down (e.g., Bradshaw), and other guys simply don't have that next gear needed to complete against elite competition.

Like you said, this team needs to be retooled. I think coordinators and players should both be under the microscope.

And really, this goes above Coughlin to Reese......he needs to come up huge in the draft and free agency.

For starters, no more dumpster diving for linebackers. Fans have been screaming for help at offensive line as well......no more "glamour" picks....time to add some blue chip guys....we don't need superstars.....we need solid guys who can block and tackle.

Tmurda1984
12-26-2012, 03:43 PM
My thoughts on how I would go about it, if I was the GM(and thank goodness I'm not, I don't envy Reese with all of this)

Before I would release Webster, I'd try to get him to take a significant pay cut. He's played like crap this season, but he was very friggen good last year. Could just be a confidence or injury thing. It happens. If he takes a pay cut and comes back to last years form, him opposite of Prince is a decent CB tandem. Barring any significant camp bonuses, won't hurt to see how he plays before the next season starts.

Diehl, I would also try force a pay cut. He's lost a step, but could be serviceable depth with the fact that he can play just about any position. He shouldn't start, therefore doesn't deserve starting money, but Oline depth is hard to come by and he already has experience with playing with the line so that helps, if he had to come in the game for a few snaps or make a start or two during an injury.

Tuck is a hard one that I couldn't answer right now out of bias. I'd really have to go back and look at film to see wtf is wrong with him.

Gilbride would be gone. I don't care about his rapport with Eli and I'm sure Eli wouldn't mind finally having a coordinator he wasn't smarter than. Fewell, I have mixed emotions about, but he too would have to go. In the last few years he's been the Giants DC, his defense has ranked among the bottom in at least one, if not multiple statistical categories. His defense have lacked imagination and his adjustments have been lackluster.

The D-line needs a solid defensive tackle because Canty and Austin can't seem to stay healthy. A middle linebacker is a must. Chase has been serviceable, but if Herz hasn't proved he's the future, one needs to be brought in. Hosely needs a little more time, so another CB needs to be brought in. If Webster isn't happy about a pay cut, he needs to be let go. The safety position is a complete enigma right now. KP is hands down the most talented safety we have, but he hasn't been able to stay on the field. Rolle has been our most consistent and versatile safety and Brown seems to have a nose for the ball. If Brown is up for a contract, I'd definitely see what he could be kept for. Hill looks good and should be kept as well. Back to KP though, would really need to evaluate him. His injury concerns are the only thing that puts any negative thoughts on him. Depending on how his contract is worked, it could come down to end of the preseason as to whether the drastic decision of cutting him needs to made.

Offensively, the QB and FB are solid. I'd bring Bennett back and find a coordinator who knows how to use a damn TE correctly. The WR corps would consist of Nicks, Cruz, Hixon(Sign him for another year), Randle and Jernagin. Barden's contract is up and I wouldn't bother keeping him. I'd look at that upcoming FA WR class to see if there's anything worth bringing in for a look and maybe try to find one in the draft. The O-line needs a complete retool, don't even know where I'd begin with this.

That's all I got for right now, lunch break is over.

Its not a paycut you asking for...you are asking to restructure. Diehl already restructure his contract along with Baas....unless Diehl is as nice like Jacobs I do not see this happening. Reese will be forced to keep him because if he cuts him we will probably penalized several million. This is why Canty is still on our team....people keep saying just ask Canty to take a paycut, but it doesnt work like that. If Canty was to take a paycut this season, his annual salary next season will be as high as Eli.

These is why happened when you give Big Long Term Contracts to average guys...you almost have to play the contract out unless you are a team with alot of salary cap space to absorb the penalties. The Giants need every $1M they can save....asking Diehl and Baas to restructure will not work. I think Terrell Thomas can be cut without suffering harsh penalties and you just can not give big contracts to the younger guys...which is way we lose a ton of players in the offseason.

Mercury
12-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Giggles, you are such a f'ing genius, I wish you were President of the United States!

Yeah, that's red.

Giggles2013
12-26-2012, 07:21 PM
I don't have a problem with Canty. I think he is still a very good DT and he had a really good game despite playing with injuries. However, I don't see how Diehl survives. I can see some consideration given to Webster since we are thin at that position and to Tuck since he might simply be injured. Either way, we need to get under the cap and some guys will be cut and I bet they will be big names.

BJacobs aka The Problem
12-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Its not a paycut you asking for...you are asking to restructure. Diehl already restructure his contract along with Baas....unless Diehl is as nice like Jacobs I do not see this happening. Reese will be forced to keep him because if he cuts him we will probably penalized several million. This is why Canty is still on our team....people keep saying just ask Canty to take a paycut, but it doesnt work like that. If Canty was to take a paycut this season, his annual salary next season will be as high as Eli.

These is why happened when you give Big Long Term Contracts to average guys...you almost have to play the contract out unless you are a team with alot of salary cap space to absorb the penalties. The Giants need every $1M they can save....asking Diehl and Baas to restructure will not work. I think Terrell Thomas can be cut without suffering harsh penalties and you just can not give big contracts to the younger guys...which is way we lose a ton of players in the offseason.

I understand that it's not a pay cut and the deals would need to be restructured and that is what I meant. Diehl has 1 yr left @ 4.1m. As to how much of that sits in dead cap space if he's cut, I don't know. 1 year left on contract, he may restructure, who knows. Either way, he's not starting material anymore.

sharick88
12-26-2012, 07:57 PM

I wish you were the GM too, Giggles