PDA

View Full Version : Time to Draft a New Kicker?

Mlerman17
12-27-2012, 12:17 AM
Tynes is an unrestricted free agent after this year and with the success in drafting kickers recently (legatron on the rams, blair walsh on the vikings, etc) wouldn't it make sense to finally move on from Tynes' inconsistency and weak leg? Plus we cannot afford to overpay for an average kicker at best. We are already paying weatherford a lot. A sixth or seventh round pick could better be served on someone who could reach from 50+ and be our kicker for the next 5-10 years. What are your guys' thoughts?

Cloud57
12-27-2012, 12:20 AM
this team has a lot of holes that I wouldn't waste a draft pick on a kicker right now.

gmen0820
12-27-2012, 12:29 AM
I'd resign Tynes. I'm very comfortable with him as the kicker, especially if we're within 45 yards and the game is on the line. I've seen too many kickers miss critical kicks, and in a kicker, I think clutch-ness is the single most important asset. Shayne Graham, Neil Rackers, Mike Vanderjagt, John Carney, Jay Feeley, Shaun Suisham, David Akers, Kris Brown -- all "great" kickers at some point in their respective careers, but they really screwed some teams in the process.

ashleymarie
12-27-2012, 12:30 AM
me either Cloud.

Broadway Blue
12-27-2012, 12:56 AM
It would be a waste of pick

Toadofsteel
12-27-2012, 01:15 AM
A new kicker is a luxury we can't really afford right now. Too much other things needing improvement.

ChrisChris
12-27-2012, 01:25 AM
TYNES IS MY MAN BUT HE IS TOO INCONSISTENT MAN.

joemorrisforprez
12-27-2012, 03:05 AM
I would consider a late round pick, or else an UFA.

I think it's ludicrous that the Giants don't have a guy that can make a 50+ yarder. I'm not expecting him to be automatic, but for **** sakes, the Giants can't even attempt that sort of range because of how short his leg is.

RagTime Blue
12-27-2012, 03:30 AM
I think Matt Dodge effectively made sure Reese/Coughlin will never draft a kicker again.

Which is stupid because they'll waste 2nd rounders on guys like Sintim and Austin.

My point isn't that JR is bad at drafting, but that any pick can be a bust, so I don't see how using one on a kicker is a waste.

nycsportzfan
12-27-2012, 08:03 AM
I'd resign Tynes. I'm very comfortable with him as the kicker, especially if we're within 45 yards and the game is on the line. I've seen too many kickers miss critical kicks, and in a kicker, I think clutch-ness is the single most important asset. Shayne Graham, Neil Rackers, Mike Vanderjagt, John Carney, Jay Feeley, Shaun Suisham, David Akers, Kris Brown -- all "great" kickers at some point in their respective careers, but they really screwed some teams in the process. Clutch? It took em 3tries to get the kick in in the NFC championship game of 07..lol He is not good from deep either.. He makes the kicks(for most part) that u expect any NFL kicker to make, and even those u gotta worry alittle bit about, as he'll just hook in some extremely short ones and even ex points on occasion, and as i've said this whole yr while everyone was singing his praises, it was gonna catch up to us sooner or later, and low and behold he misses a easy chippy recently, and lets not forget about the eagles game missing that 50yrder that would of gotten us the win..

Hes really not that good, and evey time he kicks, u wonder if hes gonna make it, which is a tell tale sign of a K u can upgrade... Hes missed a Kick in every game since the packer game, outside of BALT game, which he didn't attempt one.. Hes hit one kick longer then 49yrds all season long.. Hes a avg kicker at best...

nycsportzfan
12-27-2012, 08:06 AM
A new kicker is a luxury we can't really afford right now. Too much other things needing improvement. What are u talking about? A good kicker, and we could have 2more wins.. The Eagles game and the game where he missed game winner and the Skins game where he missed makable FG.. U think a k is a luxury? Thats insane.. A good K is a absoulute must and can cost u game after game after game..

nycsportzfan
12-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Tynes has missed a FG in 6of his last 11games hes attempted at least 1...

nhpgiantsfan
12-27-2012, 10:44 AM
What are u talking about? A good kicker, and we could have 2more wins.. The Eagles game and the game where he missed game winner and the Skins game where he missed makable FG.. U think a k is a luxury? Thats insane.. A good K is a absoulute must and can cost u game after game after game..

Dude, you can't blame Tynes for the Eagle game. 54 yards. Everybody watching that game, new he had no shot. When kickers hit FG's plus 50yards, it's a bonus, but it can't be treated as automatic.

RoanokeFan
12-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Tynes is an unrestricted free agent after this year and with the success in drafting kickers recently (legatron on the rams, blair walsh on the vikings, etc) wouldn't it make sense to finally move on from Tynes' inconsistency and weak leg? Plus we cannot afford to overpay for an average kicker at best. We are already paying weatherford a lot. A sixth or seventh round pick could better be served on someone who could reach from 50+ and be our kicker for the next 5-10 years. What are your guys' thoughts?

He is neither inconsistent nor does he have a weak leg. Until two weeks ago he was the NFL leading scorer. He missed a few kicks towards the end when everything else was going wrong. Not all of those were on him, at least one was on the snap.

He has bee putting the kickoff in the end zone more often than not. Inside the 50 he is very accurate. If the offense players better, he wouldn't have to worry about 50+ to save games.

GameTime
12-27-2012, 10:50 AM
wow....
just wow.....

RoanokeFan
12-27-2012, 10:52 AM
wow....
just wow.....

They just have their list of players and coaches and will attack one every day until the list is exhausted. I hope PS players aren't on the list.

GameTime
12-27-2012, 10:54 AM
They just have their list of players and coaches and will attack one every day until the list is exhausted. I hope PS players aren't on the list.
Beckum anyone....:)

drewz
Definitely

RoanokeFan
Beckum anyone....:)

He just sucks and now he sucks on IR

sportsfan554
12-27-2012, 11:38 AM
the kick that stays in my mind is the one he missed against the eagles this year. If he makes that we might no be in the situation we are in now. Just a thought.

sportsfan554
12-27-2012, 11:40 AM
I guess what I was trying to say is if he made that we would have won that game.

GameTime
12-27-2012, 11:44 AM
the kick that stays in my mind is the one he missed against the eagles this year. If he makes that we might no be in the situation we are in now. Just a thought.
how about all the kicks he made to keep us in games they would have other wise lost.....
he didn have the most points for no reason

egyptian420
12-27-2012, 11:49 AM
I would consider a late round pick, or else an UFA.

I think it's ludicrous that the Giants don't have a guy that can make a 50+ yarder. I'm not expecting him to be automatic, but for **** sakes, the Giants can't even attempt that sort of range because of how short his leg is.I agree 1000%....a late 7th rounder for a guy that helps us even Attempt a 50+ yarder would be well worth it...especially when you think of our offense...

egyptian420
12-27-2012, 11:53 AM
how about all the kicks he made to keep us in games they would have other wise lost.....
he didn have the most points for no reasonLets be honest...he had the most points because our offense was Atrocious in the red zone, that's exactly why I picked him up for my fantasy team and I benefited greatly from it :P

Mercury
12-27-2012, 12:02 PM
I think Coughlin will stick with Tynes, because he knows what he has with Tynes. Tynes isn't the best, but he's not the worst either.

JJC7301
12-27-2012, 12:05 PM
If there's one in the draft, I've never minded spending a high draft pick on a top quality kicker who will be around for a while kicking 50+ FG's with ease. Barring that, I'd like to keep Tynes. Not his fault that the O and D have stunk this year.

RoanokeFan
12-27-2012, 12:43 PM

One kick as opposed to the kicks he made and lead the league in scoring for some 13 weeks?

RoanokeFan
12-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Lets be honest...he had the most points because our offense was Atrocious in the red zone, that's exactly why I picked him up for my fantasy team and I benefited greatly from it :P

Is that a reason to replace him?

GameTime
12-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Lets be honest...he had the most points because our offense was Atrocious in the red zone, that's exactly why I picked him up for my fantasy team and I benefited greatly from it :P

I am being honest.....why would any kicker have that many points?? Of course the offense sucked. He still made the kicks....didnt he.

egyptian420
12-27-2012, 12:51 PM
Is that a reason to replace him?No that explains why he had a lot of points... I don't know about you but I'm cringing when we need a 40+ yarder...50+ is out of the equation.

I think at the very least bring in some competition

RoanokeFan
12-27-2012, 12:57 PM
No that explains why he had a lot of points... I don't know about you but I'm cringing when we need a 40+ yarder...50+ is out of the equation.

I think at the very least bring in some competition

I cringe too, but I cringe because the offense has once again failed. If we need a kicker who can nail 50+ yarders without fail, then the kicker isn't the problem.

Moke
12-27-2012, 12:58 PM
I cringe too, but I cringe because the offense has once again failed. If we need a kicker who can nail 50+ yarders without fail, then the kicker isn't the problem.

You have me on ignore, but I'll ask you anyway for the sake of all sakes.

Would you rate have a kicker who can kick a 40+ or 50+ if need be, or would you not?

Mlerman17
12-27-2012, 01:50 PM
He is neither inconsistent nor does he have a weak leg. Until two weeks ago he was the NFL leading scorer. He missed a few kicks towards the end when everything else was going wrong. Not all of those were on him, at least one was on the snap.He has bee putting the kickoff in the end zone more often than not. Inside the 50 he is very accurate. If the offense players better, he wouldn't have to worry about 50+ to save games.How can u say he doesn't have a weak leg? Name one kicker in the NFL that has a weaker leg (suisham is the only possible candidate and he cost the steelers their playoff shot cuz of his weak leg). Most of tynes' fgs this year were inside of 40 which he did a pretty good job for the most part but that should be expected for all of the chip shots he attempted. Also why would you want to sign him when he will cost way too much and hurt us with our fragile cap situation?