PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars > Lord of the Rings

Moke
12-27-2012, 12:54 PM
That's right Rudy, that's right... you heard it here.

Rudyy
12-27-2012, 01:30 PM
No. Absolutely not.

Moke
12-27-2012, 02:29 PM
You know it's true, don't deny it. Let the force be with you.

Rudyy
12-27-2012, 02:40 PM
You know better.

JPizzack
12-27-2012, 04:39 PM
This would only be the case if the upcoming Hobbit movies were on the same level of episode 1 & 2, which destroyed the franchise in my eyes.

Lord of the Rings is on another level. The only reason people hold the original SW trilogy in such high regard (I do, honestly...I love star wars), is because it was so ahead of it's time!

Moke
12-27-2012, 04:41 PM
This would only be the case if the upcoming Hobbit movies were on the same level of episode 1 & 2, which destroyed the franchise in my eyes.

Lord of the Rings is on another level. The only reason people hold the original SW trilogy in such high regard (I do, honestly...I love star wars), is because it was so ahead of it's time!

Stop man. I was just trying to hurt Rudy's feelings :(

No, but really... I love LOTR too... they were all great films.

JPizzack
12-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Stop man. I was just trying to hurt Rudy's feelings :(

No, but really... I love LOTR too... they were all great films.

I CANNOT BE CENSORED!!! =]

Rudyy
12-27-2012, 04:57 PM
I just never got into Star Wars at all.

Moke
12-27-2012, 04:58 PM
I just never got into Star Wars at all.

They were good movies, despite the failures that they made after the good ones.

Really hoping Disney could make them pretty good.

JPizzack
12-27-2012, 05:08 PM
Really hoping Disney could make them pretty good.

I hope youre not holding your breath! =P

Moke
12-27-2012, 05:31 PM

Who knows? I am quite interested in what they can do. I believe in them. I just want more Star Wars

Rusty192
12-28-2012, 12:17 AM
they were all great films.Blasphemy! have you read the books?

Peter Jackson basically destroyed them and put his own tarnished mark on them.

Although I did think the Fellowship was a pretty good movie and the most accurate. Thats not saying much though..

And Rudy, how could you not like StarWars? What is wrong with you woman!

Ntegrase96
12-28-2012, 07:49 AM

I don't think Disney is all that bad. After all, they did a pretty solid job with the Avengers.

Moke
12-28-2012, 10:13 AM
I don't think Disney is all that bad. After all, they did a pretty solid job with the Avengers.

People call it overrated, that's the only problem. They really screwed up John Carter, but all in all, that movie should have never been made in the first place. I believe they can really do a great job on Star Wars. The visuals in John Carter weren't bad at all... it just wasn't popular.

Moke
12-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Blasphemy! have you read the books?

Peter Jackson basically destroyed them and put his own tarnished mark on them.

Although I did think the Fellowship was a pretty good movie and the most accurate. Thats not saying much though..

And Rudy, how could you not like StarWars? What is wrong with you woman!

No, but I plan on reading them actually. I always like books over movies/shows, but it's not like they were that bad. The Lord of the Rings are pretty popular and they've all gotten pretty good reviews

Rusty192
12-28-2012, 11:39 AM
No, but I plan on reading them actually. I always like books over movies/shows, but it's not like they were that bad. The Lord of the Rings are pretty popular and they've all gotten pretty good reviewsI'll agree with you 1/3 of the way. I thought the Fellowship was good. I didn't like the other ones that much at all, and felt they were a letdown from the buildup of the first one.

The biggest problem is that they ruined/changed much of the story and took a lot of liberties. I will say this though, I thought the casting was brilliant. The actors did a fantastic job. The cinematography was stunning and the costumes, set design, etc. were very well done. The music score was amazing! Howard Shore was genius in this film. I thought the music really captured the essence of Middle Earth.

Shame they couldn't get the rest right.

Moke
12-28-2012, 11:42 AM
I'll agree with you 1/3 of the way. I thought the Fellowship was good. I didn't like the other ones that much at all, and felt they were a letdown from the buildup of the first one.

The biggest problem is that they ruined/changed much of the story and took a lot of liberties. I will say this though, I thought the casting was brilliant. The actors did a fantastic job. The cinematography was stunning and the costumes, set design, etc. were very well done. The music score was amazing! Howard Shore was genius in this film. I thought the music really captured the essence of Middle Earth.

Then again, my opinion can't count for much because I've seen them awhile ago. I need to revisit them.

The Hobbit was phenomenal though. Can't wait for the 2 following ones.

JPizzack
12-28-2012, 12:06 PM
I'll agree with you 1/3 of the way. I thought the Fellowship was good. I didn't like the other ones that much at all, and felt they were a letdown from the buildup of the first one.

I'd say I'm willing to be lenient with straying a bit from the books since the acting was phenomenal, as was the cinematography.

but lets be honest, how often do you run into "epic movies" where they were identical to the books? Not often. I'd say Game of Thrones on HBO is the closest youre going to get.

Moke
12-28-2012, 12:09 PM
I'd say I'm willing to be lenient with straying a bit from the books since the acting was phenomenal, as was the cinematography.

but lets be honest, how often do you run into "epic movies" where they were identical to the books? Not often. I'd say Game of Thrones on HBO is the closest youre going to get.

Eh..... Kinda agree and disagree at the same time. I really wish they could make at least 2 -3 more episodes.. wish they could collaborate and get it to work that way. Need more details for sure that are missing from the book.

Rusty192
12-28-2012, 05:20 PM
but lets be honest, how often do you run into "epic movies" where they were identical to the books? Not often. I'd say Game of Thrones on HBO is the closest youre going to get.True hollywood will do anything to make a buck. This is more to the hardcore fans who felt that some things in the film took away from the book.

Overall it was a good film I suppose. Not even close to Star Wars though. That was just great in every way. The newer three don't exist in my eyes.

Rudyy
12-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Blasphemy! have you read the books?Peter Jackson basically destroyed them and put his own tarnished mark on them.Although I did think the Fellowship was a pretty good movie and the most accurate. Thats not saying much though..And Rudy, how could you not like StarWars? What is wrong with you woman!I'm just not a big sci-fi person. I'm more of a fantasy freak.

Giantz4Life
12-29-2012, 04:36 PM

Avengers was insanely awesome. Probably my favorite super-hero flick besides Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy.

As for Star Wars vs. LOTR, they're such different types of movies its tough to compare. I will say I thoroughly enjoyed the LOTR movies. But Star Wars is classic, and the characters are iconic.

I'm going to throw a curveball here though:

http://jlawrencekenny.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/darth-maul.jpg

Darth Maul > Darth Vadar

Rusty192
12-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Avengers was insanely awesome. Probably my favorite super-hero flick besides Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy.

As for Star Wars vs. LOTR, they're such different types of movies its tough to compare. I will say I thoroughly enjoyed the LOTR movies. But Star Wars is classic, and the characters are iconic.

I'm going to throw a curveball here though:

http://jlawrencekenny.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/darth-maul.jpg

Darth Maul > Darth Vadar...yeah no.

Rusty192
12-29-2012, 06:56 PM
I'm just not a big sci-fi person. I'm more of a fantasy freak.Give it a try. Sci-fi gets a bad rap. Of course you have to know whats good, and whats crap.

Rudyy
12-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Give it a try. Sci-fi gets a bad rap. Of course you have to know whats good, and whats crap.Nice rhyme.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Apparently the newer ones suck and the old ones are better? That's what my roommate told me.

Rusty192
12-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Nice rhyme.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Apparently the newer ones suck and the old ones are better? That's what my roommate told me.totally unintentional lol.

well find yourself a movie nerd and ask them to give you the rundown on the classics.

Rudyy
12-29-2012, 07:32 PM
totally unintentional lol.

well find yourself a movie nerd and ask them to give you the rundown on the classics.I unfortunately know way too many movie nerds.

Giantz4Life
12-29-2012, 10:35 PM
...yeah no.

Vadar is overrated. He's a giant black robot.

Maul is an assassin/ninja and he just looks bad ***.

TheEnigma
12-29-2012, 10:59 PM
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yuuzhan_Vong <-- They need to bring these guys into the movies. The whole Jedi vs. Sith thing is getting stale.

Rusty192
12-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Vadar is overrated. .Bite thy tongue! Vader had one of the best entrances in movie history...the dudes an iconic villain. Darth maul??? not so much.

Moke
12-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Bite thy tongue! Vader had one of the best entrances in movie history...the dudes an iconic villain. Darth maul??? not so much.

I have to agree here. Vadar is one of my favorite villains of all times. Darth Maul was cool, but definitely not iconic like Vadar was.

Giantz4Life
12-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Bite thy tongue! Vader had one of the best entrances in movie history...the dudes an iconic villain. Darth maul??? not so much.

Vadar is obviously an iconic villain, but meh, he bores me. I'm obviously in the minority here on this.

IMO, the best lightsaber battle in the whole series is Maul vs. Qui-Gonn and Obi-Wan. You talk about awesome entrances, I think Mauls' was better. The way he's just standing in the doorway with that hooded cloak, and then when he busts out the double light saber. That is epic ****.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzQBB4YICwM

TheEnigma
12-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Vadar will always be the iconic character of the series but there comes a time when you have to move on from your golden goose. In the grand scheme of the entire story outside of just the movies, he's really not that huge of a character. That honor would go to Palpatine.

JPizzack
12-31-2012, 09:24 AM
Vadar is overrated. He's a giant black robot.

Maul is an assassin/ninja and he just looks bad ***.

Darth Maul would have been cooler had he been a character in the originals maybe. I just cant get over my own personal stigma of how much i dislike eps 1 & 2.

I played "Star Wars: The Old republic" for about a month or 2 when that game out, and I created a Zabrak assassin just like Maul as my character. lol

giantyankee1976
12-31-2012, 09:35 AM

no way and I'm a Star Wars geek, but no way. LOTR the first trilogy was waaaay better than any of the SW trilogies.

that said, Empire and Revenge of the Sith were the greatest SW flicks of all time !

Rusty192
12-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Who's the guy you automatically think of when somebody mentions Star Wars?

Darth freakin' Vader!

Sorry chaps, but he's the most legendary character when it comes to George Lucas's trilogy.

Moke
12-31-2012, 04:02 PM
Vadar is obviously an iconic villain, but meh, he bores me. I'm obviously in the minority here on this.

IMO, the best lightsaber battle in the whole series is Maul vs. Qui-Gonn and Obi-Wan. You talk about awesome entrances, I think Mauls' was better. The way he's just standing in the doorway with that hooded cloak, and then when he busts out the double light saber. That is epic ****.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzQBB4YICwM

I loved that battle, it was epic. I just think of Darth Vadar when thinking about Star Wars. He was always iconic, and one of the best villains. I guess he's an older villain so he isn't that recognized anymore.. but that's not necessarily fair.

Moke
12-31-2012, 04:02 PM
no way and I'm a Star Wars geek, but no way. LOTR the first trilogy was waaaay better than any of the SW trilogies.

that said, Empire and Revenge of the Sith were the greatest SW flicks of all time !

I was really kidding. I actually think I told Rudy in a text that I thought LOTR was amazing. One of my favorite series.

giantyankee1976
12-31-2012, 06:22 PM
I was really kidding. I actually think I told Rudy in a text that I thought LOTR was amazing. One of my favorite series.

I kind of figured, I can tell you two rib each other a lot.

(Just had to add my 5 cents worth of geekiness)

Rudyy
01-01-2013, 02:01 AM
I kind of figured, I can tell you two rib each other a lot.(Just had to add my 5 cents worth of geekiness)Moke likes to push my buttons.

BurnerNYG
01-01-2013, 03:38 AM
Hell yeah... LOTR put me to sleep. The Two Towers was alright but that last one was corny imo. Overrated movies.

giantyankee1976
01-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Hell yeah... LOTR put me to sleep. The Two Towers was alright but that last one was corny imo. Overrated movies.

Whaaa ?

I agree they were a bit long but the substance of the story, the characters etc were more enjoyable for me.

I liked Star Wars characters too but to be honest I HATED the hell out of those stupid Ewoks...talk about corny. Oh and I hated Ep. 1 with little orphan Annie, but the pod race was cool, and of course Maul was a bad ***.

BurnerNYG
01-01-2013, 11:00 AM
I'm more into the older Star Wars Episodes 3-6... the new ones was kind of lukewarm but I can still watch em over those dreadful LOTR movies. I know I might be in the minority because I have family members and friends who love those movies. Great CGI and epic moments at times but not enough for me to crown em over something I grew up on.

giantyankee1976
01-01-2013, 11:22 AM
I hear ya'...so the NFCE is in a flux official like now.

BurnerNYG
01-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Yeah man... looks like it. It was all good just a few weeks ago. Smh

Rusty192
01-01-2013, 12:15 PM
to be honest I HATED the hell out of those stupid Ewoks...talk about corny.Ewoks were the best part man! lol

but I agree, the newer SW's were just bad.

Rudyy
01-01-2013, 12:15 PM
I'm more into the older Star Wars Episodes 3-6... the new ones was kind of lukewarm but I can still watch em over those dreadful LOTR movies. I know I might be in the minority because I have family members and friends who love those movies. Great CGI and epic moments at times but not enough for me to crown em over something I grew up on.Oh my God.

Giantz4Life
01-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Darth Maul would have been cooler had he been a character in the originals maybe. I just cant get over my own personal stigma of how much i dislike eps 1 & 2.

I played "Star Wars: The Old republic" for about a month or 2 when that game out, and I created a Zabrak assassin just like Maul as my character. lol

They screwed the whole character over IMO. No backstory, no real dialogue, he just appears out of nowhere. There was no chance he could ever become iconic because they never gave the character a shot. I'm one of those people though that believe in less is more when it comes to horror movies and such, but this character could have been much better had they given him a chance.

I wish they had made Anakin fight Maul in Episode 3 instead of creating the Count Dooku character. Love Christopher Lee, but that was a lame *** Sith.

TheEnigma
01-01-2013, 07:17 PM
They screwed the whole character over IMO. No backstory, no real dialogue, he just appears out of nowhere. There was no chance he could ever become iconic because they never gave the character a shot. I'm one of those people though that believe in less is more when it comes to horror movies and such, but this character could have been much better had they given him a chance.

I wish they had made Anakin fight Maul in Episode 3 instead of creating the Count Dooku character. Love Christopher Lee, but that was a lame *** Sith.

Maul's entire story (the one outside EP 1 which is the worst SW movie ever) is actually quite interesting. Let's just say that he had more to offer to the plot after Naboo. People would love the other characters more if you got to see their entire story like you do with Vadar.

Moke
01-09-2013, 11:42 AM
http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/sports-forum-general-discussion/58527-lord-rings-v-star-wars.html

If you guys want more perspectives on the star wars vs. lord of the rings debate.

ELI_HOF_NYG
01-11-2013, 03:41 AM

its not even close,,star wars was ground breaking and ahead of it's time,,pure genius.

giantyankee1976
01-13-2013, 09:59 PM
star trek was more genius than star wars...yup I said it :p

Sarcasman
01-13-2013, 10:28 PM

With all due respect to y'all, this argument - such as it is - was settled long ago:

Youtube: clerks 2 star wars vs lord of the rings

I'm pretty sure this clip is too filthy to link.