PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyway we can trade up for Mante Teo?

experto
12-27-2012, 09:51 PM
That guy is a straight up baller.I don't think the guy is ever in the wrong spot,and when he is at the point of attack he tackles.He's the best leader possible that we need right now.I would trade the whole draft for him,because he changes everything for us.He makes our defense better as a whole.

EliMVP-NYG
12-27-2012, 09:52 PM
**** no, we don't have enough cap room to begin with, and we should trade down with all the holes we have. /thread over.

gmen0820
12-27-2012, 09:53 PM
**** no, we don't have enough cap room to begin with, and we should trade down with all the holes we have. /thread over.Rookie wage-scale.

But agree, top inside linebackers don't make and break a team.

TheEnigma
12-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Is that you Coach Ditka?

experto
12-27-2012, 09:55 PM
I completely disagree.The best defenses ala Steelers/Niners are built on lb cores.Teo makes everyone around him better,just look at Notre Dame this year.Notre Dame is not the fastest team or the strongest team,but they have a great leader,that leads his defense and team to victories.These kinda players are special and 40 times mean jack.

EliMVP-NYG
12-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Rookie wage-scale.

But agree, top inside linebackers don't make and break a team.

True, its hard to keep track of all the new rules with Goodell in charge. I still think we should trade down though and ditch a lot of our vets though.

Baby Bulls
12-27-2012, 09:56 PM
I'd find a way to get this kid, he's awesome not only as a football player, but as a person as well. Fits well with the Giants tradition..

experto
12-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Since Pierce left have you guys noticed our defense is not consistant anymore? That's cause he was our leader and a very good lb.Teo has the chance to be a way better player than Pierce and also much better leader.If I was gm I would trade up for him first/third/4th round picks.I just think our defense lacks 1 piece.

TheEnigma
12-27-2012, 09:59 PM
I completely disagree.The best defenses ala Steelers/Niners are built on lb cores.Teo makes everyone around him better,just look at Notre Dame this year.Notre Dame is not the fastest team or the strongest team,but they have a great leader,that leads his defense and team to victories.These kinda players are special and 40 times mean jack.

Arguably the best defense right now (the Seahawks) relies on it's back four to win football games and they have an underrated Dline too. Wagner is a pretty good rookie but I wouldn't call him a "game changer". Just to show you that you don't need a stud in the middle to win championships or to become a great D.

GiantFanatic55
12-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Arguably the best defense right now (the Seahawks) relies on it's back four to win football games and they have an underrated Dline too. Wagner is a pretty good rookie but I wouldn't call him a "game changer". Just to show you that you don't need a stud in the middle to win championships or to become a great D.

This. There is value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds at LB, we just need to pick a good one. Need to get a CB early

gmen0820
12-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Been saying it for a while, LBers are the least important unit on the defense. DL, and Secondary are far more important in a 43 defense.

Giantslb66
12-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Rookie wage-scale.

But agree, top inside linebackers don't make and break a team. Yeah....Patrick Willis has no positive effect on his team. Te'o would be an awesome pick up.

gmen0820
12-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Yeah....Patrick Willis has no positive effect on his team. What are you talking about? Willis is an excellent contributor for his team? Do you even watch the 49ers?

gmen0820
12-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Oh, were you trying to quote me out of context? Ohhh, oh, okay! Now I see

/sarcasm

Imgrate
12-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Yeah....Patrick Willis has no positive effect on his team. Te'o would be an awesome pick up.Niners were terrible until they got pass rushers and cover guys. Mlbs in a 43 do not impact the game enough to warrant a first round pick.

gmen0820
12-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Niners were terrible until they got pass rushers and cover guys. Mlbs in a 43 do not impact the game enough to warrant a first round pick.Lol MLBers don't make or break a defense = Patrick Willis has no effect on his team.

Lord Almighty.

WiIdcat
12-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Yeah....Patrick Willis has no positive effect on his team. Te'o would be an awesome pick up.

Exactly. Every position in the NFL is important and there are superstars at every one. A superstar MLB can have just as much affect as a superstar DLineman or DB. I made a thread about this in the draft section the other day. It would probably cost our 1st and 2nd to move up and get Teo.

TheEnigma
12-27-2012, 10:16 PM
With the way offenses are set up in today's NFL, you're better off stockpiling pass rushers and defensive backs that are also physical enough to play the run well (JPP and Prince as recent examples). Only the Redskins offense really puts a huge emphasis on needing stud LBs.

Buddy333
12-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Looks like we have a Notre Dame fan here.

WiIdcat
12-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Niners were terrible until they got pass rushers and cover guys. Mlbs in a 43 do not impact the game enough to warrant a first round pick.

How the hell were they terrible?? They have had a top 10 defense since 2008 (PFF)

B&RWarrior
12-27-2012, 10:19 PM
I want to draft somebody to play besides JPP at DT. Let's build on what we already have. I'm talking about a run defending tackle. We need a run defense first tackle badly on the line. I've been crying for one for two years now. I want that to be our first pick. As a fan there is nothing I hate watching more than teams running right up the gut on us. This year has been really hard to watch. In a division with the Redskins I feel we are going to have to address run defense as a priority.

Imgrate
12-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Exactly. Every position in the NFL is important and there are superstars at every one. A superstar MLB can have just as much affect as a superstar DLineman or DB. I made a thread about this in the draft section the other day. It would probably cost our 1st and 2nd to move up and get Teo.Simply not true. Theres a reason some positions get drafted more often than others and why you virtually never see a mlb drafted in the top 5. Similarly, there's a reason other positions make much more money than mlbs. Teams value other positions more than mlb because those positions clearly make a larger impact on the game

big blue dog
12-27-2012, 10:20 PM
ray lewis made his defense great but he was teo with speed in his prime

Imgrate
12-27-2012, 10:21 PM
How the hell were they terrible?? They have had a top 10 defense since 2008 (PFF) Wins and losses

TheEnigma
12-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Anyway, this team isn't really in a position to make a huge first round push for a prospect when we have other needs across both lines and in our back 7 of the defense. If you want Te'o so badly, our best chances to acquire him would be for him to blow his combine but even then, some team will probably fall in love with his character and intangibles before the 15th.

WiIdcat
12-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Simply not true. Theres a reason some positions get drafted more often than others and why you virtually never see a mlb drafted in the top 5. Similarly, there's a reason other positions make much more money than mlbs. Teams value other positions more than mlb because those positions clearly make a larger impact on the game

In the past 5 drafts there have been 5 non pass rushing linebackers selected in the top 10... Linebackers are obviously more valued than you seem to believe.

WiIdcat
12-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Wins and losses

Singletary nuff said. Look at the turn around with a real coach in just 1 year.

ozzie0075
12-27-2012, 10:32 PM
You would have to give up most of your draft to go get him. There is no way they will do that.

gmen0820
12-27-2012, 10:33 PM
In the past 5 drafts there have been 5 non pass rushing linebackers selected in the top 10... Linebackers are obviously more valued than you seem to believe.Yeah:

Rivers, Mayo, Curry, McClain, and Kuechly.

Rivers, Curry, and McClain blow. Mayo is a stud, and Kuechly looks like the real deal. 40% success rate, and Mayo is far from the best player on that defense, not to mention Belichick has spent a first and a second round pick since drafting ILBers (Spikes, Hightower).

gmen0820
12-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Singletary nuff said. Look at the turn around with a real coach in just 1 year.Yeah, a real coach...

And: Aldon Smith, Navorro Bowman, Carlos Rogers, and an improved/efficient offense. Defense looked great without Justin Smith on SNF last week, by the way.

Imgrate
12-27-2012, 10:36 PM
Singletary nuff said. Look at the turn around with a real coach in just 1 year.Aldon smith donte whitner carlos rogers, among others were added too

TheEnigma
12-27-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm kinda worried that the expectations are a tad too high for Te'o coming out of college. Will he bust? Doubt it but I could see him as an "underachiever".

gmen0820
12-27-2012, 10:40 PM
I'm kinda worried that the expectations are a tad too high for Te'o coming out of college. Will he bust? Doubt it but I could see him as an "underachiever".Aaron Curry: "safest pick in the draft".

ozzie0075
12-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Aaron Curry: "safest pick in the draft".

Rolando McClain

ozzie0075
12-27-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm kinda worried that the expectations are a tad too high for Te'o coming out of college. Will he bust? Doubt it but I could see him as an "underachiever".

Happens a lot of ND guys just look and Quinn and Clausen.

TheEnigma
12-27-2012, 10:48 PM

I'm not sure that's a really fair comparison for Te'o. Those two have been reported to of shown more interest in the benefits of being an NFL QB off the field than actually trying to be better professionals. It just seems like some people think Te'o will be a defense changer on day 1 when the reality might be that he's actually just another piece of the puzzle or stepping stone to becoming an elite D.

ozzie0075
12-27-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm not sure that's a really fair comparison for Te'o. Those two have been reported to of shown more interested in the benefits of being an NFL QB off the field than actually trying to be better professionals. It just seems like some people think Te'o will be a defense changer on day 1 when the reality might be that he's actually just another piece of the puzzle or stepping stone to becoming an elite D.

All I am saying is the media tends to hype ND guys more than others. Kiper tends to add a lot to that as he is a huge ND homer. As far as Te'o is concerned I think he will be a very good player. I don't like taking 4-3 lb's early in the draft because they way they are used in the 4-3 they are typically not game changers like DE's and secondary guys.

gmen0820
12-27-2012, 10:54 PM
All I am saying is the media tends to hype ND guys more than others. Kiper tends to add a lot to that as he is a huge ND homer. As far as Te'o is concerned I think he will be a very good player. I don't like taking 4-3 lb's early in the draft because they way they are used in the 4-3 they are typically not game changers like DE's and secondary guys.Agreed. Much rather have the next shut down corner, or JPP-freak player.

Buddy333
12-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Happens a lot of ND guys just look and Quinn and Clausen.Eh, this guy is different though. He has backed up everything since he committed to Notre Dame.

TheEnigma
12-27-2012, 10:59 PM
All I am saying is the media tends to hype ND guys more than others. Kiper tends to add a lot to that as he is a huge ND homer. As far as Te'o is concerned I think he will be a very good player. I don't like taking 4-3 lb's early in the draft because they way they are used in the 4-3 they are typically not game changers like DE's and secondary guys.

Yeah, that is true. I agree with you there in regards of what is a better position to target in the 1st. DL, CB (probably Banks), or maybe even an OT drop are all possible 1st round considerations. Chance Warmack is another route we could go.

ozzie0075
12-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Eh, this guy is different though. He has backed up everything since he committed to Notre Dame.

I agree he is going to be a very good football player. It's going to be very interesting to see how he fares against Alabama who will challenge him physically like no team he has faced in his career.

ozzie0075
12-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Yeah, that is true. I agree with you there in regards of what is a better position to target in the 1st. DL, CB (probably Banks), or maybe even an OT drop are all possible 1st round considerations. Chance Warmack is another route we could go.

Just to put it in perspective a little bit both Blackburn and Pierce were undrafted and the Giants won Superbowls with both those guys.

miked1958
12-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Looks like we have a Notre Dame fan here.Bama smashes them IMO

Buddy333
12-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Bama smashes them IMOYeah, but Notre Dame did play some good teams this year.

ozzie0075
12-27-2012, 11:14 PM
Yeah, but Notre Dame did play some good teams this year.

But they didn't play anyone nearly as physical as Bama. I don't think ND front 7 can hold up for 4 quarters.

Giantslb66
12-27-2012, 11:18 PM
What are you talking about? Willis is an excellent contributor for his team? Do you even watch the 49ers? SARCASM my friend! I totally disagree with people saying LBs are the least important. How about stopping the run? That is totally on the LBs, thus our problem.

experto
12-27-2012, 11:19 PM
If you want a freak pass rusher it's gota be Tank Carradie from Fsu.If you want a leader and great lb you want Teo.

gmen0820
12-27-2012, 11:24 PM
SARCASM my friend! I totally disagree with people saying LBs are the least important. How about stopping the run? That is totally on the LBs, thus our problem.Yeah stopping the run is the LBers responsibility..and the DEs..and the DTs.

Ladder27
12-27-2012, 11:26 PM

Yea just look at J Tuck.....

experto
12-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Joe Montana is from Notre Dame

Redeyejedi
12-28-2012, 12:07 AM
Lol MLBers don't make or break a defense = Patrick Willis has no effect on his team.

Lord Almighty.Take away Aldon Smith and Justin Smith see what happens

Redeyejedi
12-28-2012, 12:11 AM
But they didn't play anyone nearly as physical as Bama. I don't think ND front 7 can hold up for 4 quarters.Notre Dames Defensive front is as good as any in the SEC. Tuitt, Shembo and Nix are all very good players

GMenOnDeck
12-28-2012, 12:21 AM
Hes not that great of a cover lb

DavidSki
12-28-2012, 12:25 AM
Hes not that great of a cover lb

Explain the 7 INTs he had for the season then.

JJC7301
12-28-2012, 01:04 AM
I have no desire to trade up for a LB unless we're talking LT-esque, and that's not Teo. Nice looking player, but not LT. And he'll be top 10 -- would take a lot to trade up. And I don't like trading up unless it's for a QB like we did with Eli. No problem trading down, however.

JesseJames
12-28-2012, 11:24 AM
if somehow we were able to draft Teo he would probably sit on the bench behind Blackburn for a year...

Joe Morrison
12-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Although he has put on a stellar performance at ND this year I don't think he will be a major impact player in the NFL, just my thoughts.

Toadofsteel
12-28-2012, 12:06 PM
SF runs a 3-4 defense, right? That means linebackers are automatically more important, as all D-line has to do is create openings for pass rushers...

We don't need to spend picks on any linebackers or D-line as long as we cut out the cruft. One CB, that's about it. The rest of the draft we need to replace the entire O-line except for Beatty...