PDA

View Full Version : Giants "Slot Option" play with Cruz and Nicks

Mod_N
12-28-2012, 02:12 AM
Just did this if anyone is interested or wants to talk X's and O's ...

http://footballxobreakdown.blogspot.com/2012/12/slot-option-giants-bread-n-butter-play.html

giantsfan420
12-28-2012, 04:13 AM
Awesome man, thanks. Ill check it out tmrw. Appreciate this, always love when the ability to legit talk football xs and o style.

Mod_N
12-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Awesome man, thanks. Ill check it out tmrw. Appreciate this, always love when the ability to legit talk football xs and o style.

Thanks!

giantsfan420
12-29-2012, 01:20 PM
forgot to comment on this. id recommend anyone who wants to get perspective on how we try to use Cruz, and the relationship betweel eli/cruz/nicks, check the link out. its clear and easy to understand which is tough bc the subject is complex

that td play to cruz vs NO is a great play to pick from, bc the Cover 1 Safety, as u stated so well, was in no mans land completely frozen. Part of the success Cruz has, is bc of the outside WRs. Nicks being as dangerous as he is (when healthy), he requires a Safety over the top almost on a snap by snap basis. That will leave Cruz 1v1 vs a lot of coverages.

The only issue I have right now, is that Hixon, and bless him for all he does right, doesnt warrant the S over the top that Nicks, and even MM required. Teams are simply going 1v1 with hixon over cruz bc obviously cruz is more lethal. hixon hasnt done enough vs the coverages hes gotten imo.

Maybe we could try using Hixon as the slot and Cruz out wide, thus again recapturing the ability to force the Safeties outwide leaving the inside open. Hixon should have more success running the slot option route imo, wont be as lethal as cruz but the offense would run better imo, which leads me to wonder wtf KG is doing? why havent we seen more hixon outta the slot?

ShakeandBake
12-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Nice breakdown, looks like you put a lot of time and effort into it. I hope we see more of Cruz in the slot next year considering he can run virtually every pattern effectively out of that spot.

giantsfan420
12-29-2012, 01:24 PM
my point about hixon/slot wr/cruz is that if hixon isnt getting open lined up wide 1v1 consistently enough for the offense to run like it did last yr, why havent we adjusted to help hixon out and move him inside, thus removing a hurdle/defender, the sideline. teams werent gonna stop doubling nicks n cruz if that. why the f wouldnt we then move hixon to the slot to utilize the same philosophy as cruz out of the slot? another indictment on KG imo

ShakeandBake
12-29-2012, 01:30 PM
my point about hixon/slot wr/cruz is that if hixon isnt getting open lined up wide 1v1 consistently enough for the offense to run like it did last yr, why havent we adjusted to help hixon out and move him inside, thus removing a hurdle/defender, the sideline. teams werent gonna stop doubling nicks n cruz if that. why the f wouldnt we then move hixon to the slot to utilize the same philosophy as cruz out of the slot? another indictment on KG imo

Well the way I see it is that you have Cruz, who is most definitely sutied to be a slot receiver, and Hixon is more suited to be an outside receiver. If you switch them in hopes of benefiting Hixon, you are also hurting Cruz(the guy is short to be an "elite" X receiver imo). Double edged sword situation.

Mod_N
12-29-2012, 01:30 PM

I am hoping Reuben steps up and plays as an outside WR next year. I think at this point he's almost as good as Hixon. We need a decent threat for our offense to work. Our OL sucking plays a part too

Mod_N
12-30-2012, 02:26 PM
Well that looked pretty